Fan-tastic

David Montgomery from the Post's Style section spent a few weeks exploring the world of D.C. United's supporters groups. Here is his extensive work, which is accompanied by video and photos. Enjoy.

For a preview of the SuperLiga match, read my humble sports story.

For those of you who do not get the print edition, here is what the front page of the Style section looks like today.

Pachuca beat Houston on PKs, 4-3, after a remarkable 2-2 tie that included three red cards. Joseph Ngwenya had the ... worst ... PK ... attempt ... ever. You've got to see it to believe it. Seemed like a fourth-grader took over his body at the last moment. Video highlights here. Pachuca will play at L.A. (Home Depot Center) or D.C. (RFK) for the SuperLiga championship on Aug. 29.

By Steve Goff  |  August 14, 2007; 11:27 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Beckham Says He'll Play [UPDATED!]
Next: Revs Moves

Comments

very nice story in style, as was yours

to anyone who was at the la-dcu game at rfk, did someone in the the barra brava really lift up an iraqi flag or was i imagining things in section 468?
that was hilarious

Posted by: jahs | August 15, 2007 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Is it fair to say that we have the most raucous and passionate supporters groups in all of U.S. sports?

Posted by: rc | August 15, 2007 12:34 AM | Report abuse

As much as I love the Barra, many university fan groups absolutly dwarf the eagles, barra, and la norte combined.

Posted by: Brian | August 15, 2007 1:06 AM | Report abuse

You mean FedEx for DC, right?

Posted by: Tom | August 15, 2007 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Nationals are playing the Dodgers in L.A. on the 29th, so it's totally possible the SuperLiga final could be played at RFK.

Posted by: Juan-John | August 15, 2007 1:26 AM | Report abuse

Worst penalty I've ever seen by Ngwenya. Horrid. Great game though.

Fantastic story about the the SGs, although mostly Barra. I think this story was a long time in coming. I was watching a replay of FFF(don't hit me) and the new Nick absolutely glowed about the Barra. Props.

Lastly, Brian, I'm not sure how your comment is relevant? Are you saying that there are colleges and universities in the U.S. that have lots of fans? Or loud fans? Sure, but compare DCs fans to those of any other group in any sport in America and then comment.

Posted by: Dan | August 15, 2007 1:30 AM | Report abuse

Goff, it was worse than a fourth grader on Ngwenya's PK. More like the fourth grade Khano Smith...

Posted by: JJH | August 15, 2007 2:24 AM | Report abuse

Houston and Pachuca should play each other more often. This was sloppier than their previous games, but there was no shortage of entertainment.

With Houston's players having to play 100 of 120 minutes down a man (82 of 11v10, 18 of 10v9), why did Kinnear only use 2 subs? He had Rico Clark on the bench! I know from the match tracker that the other subs have absolutely no senior game experience, but you've got to get Clark in. Ngwenya was completely exhausted, and I was not surprised that he botched the penalty (though I was surprised that he thought he could fool Calero and get him with the ever-cheeky chip up the middle; I had expected him to shoot wide or to the center-right/left for an easy save).

I think this tournament is there for the taking for DC. LA is tired, short of numbers, and not very good. Pachuca looks like a team we can beat if we play like we did in New England and for the first hour against LA.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 15, 2007 2:43 AM | Report abuse

Great article about the Barra Brava. I love their creativity. They find ways to influence that really add to the experience of attending a DC United game - even if you are on the other side of the field. They have also influenced other supporters clubs for other teams that have, within the last couple of years, taken to becoming "Barra Brava Light". Great article about a great group.

I am not sure why we keep going up against the Galaxy at the right time but, for some reason, we do. We need to take advantage of the breaks that we are being given and get this result. Winning the SuperLiga would be an important trophy for United to get - and it looks like it may be winnable. You never know when the breaks will fall your way. We need to go for it.

Posted by: Outstanding! | August 15, 2007 4:14 AM | Report abuse

Ngwenya also had the worst....match....ever. Totally worthless whistle-to-whistle. That penalty, though, was really something else. I loved the reaction from Calero on the replay.

Posted by: Dave Nelson | August 15, 2007 6:31 AM | Report abuse

Feature article on front page of Style, above the fold.....awesome!!
All of the supporters groups make the games a phenomenal experience.
I was in the upper deck for the Dallas game last month. We somehow entered on the LOUD side and had to walk around. The volume up there was incredible. Turned up to 11, I think :-) It really floored my niece and her Marine husband. I think they are wanting to try an evening in the supporters sections for their 2nd game.
Well done to all.

Posted by: marksman | August 15, 2007 6:47 AM | Report abuse

Excellent articles!

Any news on where the SuperLiga finals will be played?

Posted by: bobf | August 15, 2007 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bobf | August 15, 2007 7:53 AM | Report abuse

re lack of subs - Several of the Houston players are nursuing injuries. Rico Clark has an ankle sprain.

Posted by: emanon | August 15, 2007 7:53 AM | Report abuse

What the heck was Ngwenya doing? I have a forth grader who regularly buries his PK's.
man - pathetic.

Anyone think he was trying the Moreno chip?

Posted by: huh | August 15, 2007 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Still think De Ro had the most amazing goal of the season or the most amazing handball that was never seen.

Houston vs. Pachuca is quickly becoming a great rivalry.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 15, 2007 8:15 AM | Report abuse

It looks like Houston's success is paying off.

Maybe Budweiser will go after DCU after all the publicity.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 15, 2007 8:39 AM | Report abuse

The local Fox news at 10 last night mentioned tonight's game, from the Beckham angle. I've never seen local tv mention games in advance, although I guess they probably did so a few times when Freddy was making his debut.

Posted by: gringo | August 15, 2007 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Fantastic story about the sg's although mostly Barra.

Did you even READ the article? :-)

Posted by: 135coconut | August 15, 2007 8:56 AM | Report abuse

SO pscyhed that Pachuca won last night. An all MLS superliga final would have been kind of... oh well... Let's hope its DC they meet next!

Posted by: jasonVA | August 15, 2007 9:22 AM | Report abuse

re Houston/Amigo Energy article- it says Chivas USA has a sponsor but I can't remember that happening. Who is it or are they just wrong?

Posted by: bluemeanies | August 15, 2007 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I couldn't tell last night if it was a third red card on Ashe or just that Houston had used all their subs already.

But what happened to Ashe when he got pushed into the camera stand was frightening. There seriously needs to be some sort of movement to get more space on that field. Ashe walked off that field with no clue as to what his name was, no clue at all, bell rung like an eggball player.

I thought both of the second half red cards were a little harsh. A second yellow for diving to send a guy off? Props to the ref for getting the dive right, but sending a guy off for two technical fouls? And then that weak kick gets a guy sent off before? You could see that the Pachuca players were happy about it and how it worked out.

As to tonight, United 2-0.

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | August 15, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

While DC United is unlikely to be the source of a possible Beckham injury, something tells me Pachuca wouldn't hesitate to send him to the sideline as quickly as possible.

And speaking of Beckham -- doesn't he sound like the Geico gecko? IS he the gecko?

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 15, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to DC fans on the great article in the Post. There is nothing more depressing than going to a Revs game and sitting in one of the "normal" sections. People sit on their hands, constantly walk to the concession stands, bathrooms, etc, while the match is being played. Thank god I decided to start sitting in The Fort.

Posted by: New England Guy | August 15, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

As someone who has supported and participated in the Barra for many years, I've been a bit turned off by them this year. I feel like a lot of people think it's more about Barra Brava than about DC United. The worst was when they decided to leave an entire section at midfield empty on a nationally televised game, because of some perceived petty dispute between them and the Screaming Eagles. The 'elders' couldn't even give a coherent explanation for it.

I don't sit with Screaming Eagles either, but would have appreciated more than a paragraph about them in this article.

Posted by: external observation | August 15, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 135Mayhem | August 15, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

1. Goff, you malign 4th grade soccer players when you say Ngwenya's PK was from the body of a 4th grader. It looked like he decided at the last minute to try the chip and he'd never practiced it before. And, FWIW, Ngwenya was in an offside position on DeRosario's goal as well. I agree with the poster who said he contributed nothing last night.

2. I'm not so confident about DCU taking down LAG. We're on the road, Beckham will play. Winning this would be a good statement for DCU.

3. Houston is tough when they get the first goal--they usually do such a good job defending in depth, killing the clock and making you play their game. But it seems like they've lost their mojo lately. Even though they got the first goal, I think the ejection cost them combined with they don't seem to have form they had for a couple of months.

Posted by: JoeW | August 15, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

That game last night was a strange one. Not well played, but very well fought. Ngwenya really didn't play well the whole game in my opinion (nor did Ching really), but his penalty "attempt" was a joke.

Posted by: SuperLigaFan | August 15, 2007 9:59 AM | Report abuse

It seemed to me like Ngwenya tried to change his mind at the last second b/c keeper had the jump on him, and just brain farted. When you're getting hacked by thugs for 120 minutes, I can sort of understand it. Still, pretty poor.

Either way you slice it, the league has to be happy to have a DCU v Pachuca or LAG v Pachuca final. Good ratings, good marketability.

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 15, 2007 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"The article was about the Barra or didn't you get that from the title of the article?"

you mean "United Force"? no, that doesn't particularly scream "Barra Brava" to me. nor when Goff describes it as "exploring the world of D.C. United's supporters groups" I expected to read an article about more than one. I just think Barra Brava doesn't need a bigger head than it already has.

Posted by: huh? | August 15, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

their sponser is comex - a mexican paint company I think they might own frazee paint here in the states

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Checkout the byline in the print edition and take from it what you will. The article was written about the Barra with interviews with Barra members. I guess you can always write the editor and ask for equal time for the eagles and La Norte.

Posted by: 135Mayhem | August 15, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Houston is reminding me a bit of DC last year - having a really good first half of the season, doing well in some extra/non league games, and then hitting a rough patch in the second half.

Posted by: emanon | August 15, 2007 10:13 AM | Report abuse

SuperLigaFan - How did you not think Ching played well last night? He played virtually the entire match as a lone forward on a short-handed team, held the ball well and set up some nice scoring opportunities for his team (the one to Wondolowski in extra time was very good, a good first touch by CW and that could have been "game over").

Agree with Ngwenya's PK. He must have been watching tapes of Henry from a few years ago to go with that approach. Just really dumb, especially because it wasted a valiant performance by the Dynamo.

Hoping for a DC win tonight because you never know which LA team would show up for the final. DC-Pachuca would be a great match.

Posted by: George H. | August 15, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Goff | August 15, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DE | August 15, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

One thing I enjoy about going to a DC United game is the non-stop noise and that it all comes from the stands and not from the PA system. I usually make a point of sitting around Barra Bravo and the Scream Eagles because of the atmosphere they create. (My son bought me membership to Barra Bravo for Fathers Day, but I have yet to receive anything from them.)

The Redskins use those awful announcers/DJ's and the scoreboard to lead cheers. They, the Nats, and Orioles use canned music, also. None of that is found at a DC United game and the fans' experience there is none the worse (and in most case is better).

Posted by: ho | August 15, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Oh wait, you said that in your post, but that link has a picture...

Posted by: DE | August 15, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I hear you Steve Goff. For the record, David Montgomery contacted me about this article a few months back. We weren't sure we wanted to do it at first but after a sit down with Oscar we ok'd it. We thought it might help in the promotion of the team. We also figured there would be pissing and moaning from other factions within the United community. Not much we can do about that.

Posted by: Chico | August 15, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

"Are you saying that there are colleges and universities in the U.S. that have lots of fans? Or loud fans? Sure, but compare DCs fans to those of any other group in any sport in America and then comment."

The SGs, and DC fans in general, are fantastic. They are among if not the best in professional sports compared to others I've seen in the NFL, MLB, or NHL (I've never been to an NBA game). However, university crowds are crazy - just consider the built-in factor of thousands of 18-22 year olds.

To answer your question, I think the SGs are not better than the fans at Maryland, Duke, Kansas or similar basketball games, or the crowd you can see at any of two dozen large college football programs, especially in the south. The SGs are equivalent in support, but not better, in my opinion.

Posted by: Rob | August 15, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Goff, it is ridiculous. Thanks to the Post, to our fearless leader, and to all the supporter's groups for leading so many cheers. It's good stuff.

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | August 15, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

As an outsider not linked to any of the supporters groups I can certainly understand why the SEs would feel slighted and to a lesser degree La Norte. If the situation were reversed and it was an article focused almost solely on the SEs would BB be happy about that? I think it's awesome that we have such great fan groups. And I think a lot of people believe it is all one big group since y'all stand right next to each other and do similar things in-game.

Posted by: Glenn | August 15, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

"yet some people are still whining. Remarkable"

I only whine on your travel days. An addict needs his pusher. LOL.

I don't have Chest's dedication to stay up until 2:30am to watch someone other than my team, then jump on here to post. Just saw the highlights of last night's game with 4 quality goals, and quality PK's except for 1. If one were going to chip the keeper, "chipping" 2 feet high right down the center into an already beat keeper's chest would make most 4th graders embarrassed. Abysmal.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 15, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I quit the Screaming Geeks years ago because they were too organized and more interested in self-promotion--they would actually boycott local establishments that would not give them special pricing and treatment. Not that there's anything wrong with the charity work they perform, but it's overtaken the original purpose of supporting the team. And the BoD meetings with minutes... geez! Get over yourselves!

Posted by: Spicoli | August 15, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Prior to watching the game, I had spent the evening working with my youth team on PKs... telling them to forget about the cute little chips they see all too often in pro games.

Did anyone actually see the elbow from Ashe? Not speaking much Spanish, but watching the game on Telefutura, I got the impression that he was sent off for kicking out at the Pachuca player that was attempting to pull him across the touchline. I felt the kick deserved a red card and that Corey had let his team down after spending his portion of the game dribbling into trouble and slapping the ground in disgust rather than tracking back to defend.

It kinda reminded me of another young player that was sent off for a kick (after holding his head for a while). Maybe we'll see an Adidas commercial in a few years where Corey is drawing himself on a screen and walking through caves...

Posted by: MK | August 15, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

"(My son bought me membership to Barra Bravo for Fathers Day, but I have yet to receive anything from them.)"

As a member, you might have to go to the pre-game tailgate, which could involve free beer and cheap (but good) food.

Posted by: Juan-John | August 15, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I love all the supporters groups, and as an unaffiliated fan, I humbly request that all further bickering take place on BigSoccer. Don't fight in front of the kids.

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 15, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Goff - any news about any of these rumors?

seems like many of DC's moves so far would backfire cause of these changes (holding on to a DP spot to extort some of the teams that need it for grandfathered players next year, trading Erpen cause we would run out of SI slots)

Posted by: pat | August 15, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Was that really Goff calling people out as whiners? I detect and imposter...if not, we've really ticked off our master writer this morning.

Posted by: Whining? | August 15, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Great article on the DC supporter culture.

"MLS Rumors" is the most gigantic pile of horsecrap.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | August 15, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Or is this the first that incorporates all the capabilities that is the World Wide Web?

Or was it the Beckham event/game that triggered it?

Posted by: Juan-John | August 15, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Remarkable indeed.

sports:"Often, fans of soccer are simply apologists who want to back down anybody who isn't kissing soccer's hinny... "

And this make soccer fans different from fans of other sports?

Michael Wilbon: Yes, because they're louder about it and they actually expect they can back you down, which I find hysterically funny. They think they're going to intimidate columnists and editors into treating things the way THEY want to.

Posted by: Wilbon | August 15, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

"... yet some people are still whining. Remarkable."

Not really that reamrkable. Give people a forum and they complain. Give them an anonymous forum and they complain more. Don't get me wrong, Soccer Insider is a mandatory part of my day and I have withdrawal headaches when you're away, Steve, but this internet stuff just makes it so easy for chronic relapsing curmudgeons to express their pathology.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 15, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Not only did Ngwenya hose up the PK, it was also his terrible clearance that set up one of Pachuca's goals. He gave away points with his entire performance and I know if it was Soehn's team, he'd be sitting the next game. Kinnear's a pretty intense guy, so I wouldn't be surprised...

Posted by: CMJ | August 15, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I have a couple of comments to make related to several subjects:

1) Supportes groups. Everyone should be "United" as a whole. We all have the same love and passion for our football team. Somehow I believe United's Supporters Groups should merge into one unifying voice.

2) In reference to Bob Bradley's selection for the Sweeden game. Why Josh Wolf and not Jozy Altidore? Why Pablo Mastroinei and not Ricardo Clark? Why Landon Donovan and not Freddy Adu? Why Jonathon Bornstein? Some of his selections were great, but Altidore right now is the best US Striker, and he should have been on this team. I also would have liked to see more of the U-20's on the team.

3) DP Slot. Why oh why, did we not pursue another senior international. I still do not feel as though DC has the squad to contend for the Championship without adding another weapon. This will come back to haunt us come October.

4) Beckham should not go to back to England to play in the Euro Qualifier. He is making $250 million to raise the profile of the sport. He has already missed significant time due to his ankle, and I think it would be a slap in the face to all the fans in the US who paid good money to see him sit his pretty ass on the bench.

5) Nowak as Olympic coach? Fredy better give Stalin, um I mean Coach a call to make-up, or else he may not be included on the squad.

6) Has anyone else heard about an American being signed by Vasco de Gama? If so, who is he, how good is he, and when can we expect a call-up to National Team

Adios Amigos and Vamos United!!!!

Posted by: DC United Fan | August 15, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

How has no one mentioned that in addition to Ngwenya's penalty being absolutely atrocious, he blew the chance to gain a huge amount of momentum in the shootout. Ching hits the post, which is traumatic, but it happens. Then Onstad makes an enormous save to get the crowd and team fired up, as if to say "There's no f-ing way we're losing this game." Then Ngwenya takes easily the worst penalty I've ever seen. Ever. That was like a "perfect storm" of terrible PK's.

Posted by: Pat Onstad's broken heart | August 15, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Do we know what referee has been assigned for tonight? I assume it will be one of the Americans since it's two US teams. And I would guess we can rule out Jair Maruffo, and luckily I think Okulaja did the LA v NE game the other day so that should rule him out too. And I assume they have Carlos Batres lined up for the final.

Posted by: Glenn | August 15, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

"As a soccer newbie, I loved the article and photos and video, but after 10-plus years of having a pro soccer team in DC, this is the FIRST one ever written about SGs? It can't be, right?"

Definitely not the first article. I don't know if there were others, but I know the Post had one at the time of MLS Cup 1999 (DC def. LA in Foxborough) focused on the Screaming Eagles. So maybe one article per decade, and La Norte gets theirs in ~2016.

And I agree about the whining. I'm an SE, but as far as I'm concerned, publicity for any of the groups is a good thing.

Posted by: argo0 | August 15, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Heard on ESPN radio update: "Beckham will play tonight...against the DC United team"

Posted by: RK | August 15, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I hope, I really hope, that Adrian Fenty looks at the front page of the Style section and sees current and future voters.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 15, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

The Screaming Eagles leadership knew that the focus of the article was going to be about the BB as the writer covers the Latino beat for the Post so if individuals feel slighted, well, that's up to them
(personally, I don't). I'm quoted in the story and talked to the reporter about the SEs for over an hr and he came by our tailgate last Thursday. I thought it was well done, congrats to the BB for a very nice piece.

K

Posted by: SEKim | August 15, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I belong to both the BB and SE, I think that article was great. I would have thought an article mostly about the Eagles was great too. The groups are different, they both deserve whatever good press they get.
One being great doesn't make the other any less great. Them both being so good is what makes DC United fans (and games) so great. They push each other to do better, and we all win because of it.

Alright Goffinho, is Becky starting tonight, or is he gonna finish it out? Do you ride your best horse first, or do you save the big guns for last?

Also, Any news on additional punishment for Martino from the MLS Disciplinary Committee? That was a pretty bad foul he did on Fred, then he went on air and said it was a dive by Fred, all Brazilians cheat - now he has come out and said that the referee was horrible and had something in for his team. The guy has lost his mind.

Posted by: Lonnie | August 15, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

"Adonde Vayas""Siempre Estaremos"
"Eres Mi Vida""United Te quiero"
"Estas tu Hinchada""Somos United"
"La que te sigue""Y Te alenta siempre"
"UNITED,UNITED..UNITED,UNITED"
"UNITED,UNITED..UNITED,UNITEDDDDDDDD"

Posted by: UNITED | August 15, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

emanon-

That may be, but he was available. Before the penalties, he was standing there in full uniform with the neon green penny over his jersey. They could have sent him on with 2 or 3 minutes to go, just to have someone fresh taking a penalty. It was apparent to me that Ngwenya had absolutely nothing left in the tank. Tired players make bad decisions.

LeesburgSoccerFan-

Dedication, addiction, what's the difference?

MK-

The MLSnet article mentions an elbow from Ashe, but that's because those articles are often wrong. It was entirely because he kicked Correa when he was down.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 15, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

No word on when Beckham will enter.

MLS discipline is usually announced on Thursdays, but since Fred was not injured, I doubt any additional penalties will be levied. Just a guess...

Posted by: Goff | August 15, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

my guess is Martino will get a $250 fine for criticizing officials, but no extra suspension. And since tonight's game is not under the auspices of MLS it wouldn't matter for us anyway.

Posted by: Glenn | August 15, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

This article is great for the team and great for United fans as a whole. As SE president, I don't feel slighted in the least. Both we and BB have had a great year and pub for the team is pub for the team. BB should be applauded for the passion they bring to the stadium and having enough notoriety to make this article happen. Well done, guys.

Turning to comments here, I don't know what part of his anatomy Spicoli pulled his "boycott" claim from, but it's 100% false. Nice try, pal.

Posted by: Paul | August 15, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

"Style does a monster-sized feature, complemented by a photo gallery and video online, and places it at the top of the front page as well as an entire inside page ... yet some people are still whining. Remarkable."

Indeed. It was a great article, and the whiners are idiots. No surprise though. There are idiots all over the internet.

Posted by: Jeremy | August 15, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

" think the SGs are not better than the fans at Maryland, Duke, Kansas or similar basketball games, or the crowd you can see at any of two dozen large college football programs, especially in the south. The SGs are equivalent in support, but not better, in my opinion."

While it's true that United SG's may lack the numbers compared to college fans, we're still more passionate. American football fans (even in the south) are pretty weak. All they do is stand up and yell and occasionally ring a cowbell (at Bama?) or twirl a hanky (at South Carolina). The Cameron Crazies are pretty passionate, but stick Barra Brava and the Screaming Eagles courtside in an echoed basketball arena, and we're gonna look and sound pretty darn good too!

Posted by: rc | August 15, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Twirl a hanky? Where did you get that idea?

Posted by: RK | August 15, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ball68 | August 15, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ball68 | August 15, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

And this make soccer fans different from fans of other sports?

Posted by: Wilbon | August 15, 2007 11:22 AM

I think Michael Wilbon is upset because so many fans caught him in his little lie about the DiPS averaging 30,000 for one season. It takes like 10 seconds in 2007 to disprove such information. What a tool.

Posted by: Tool Time | August 15, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

"The Redskins use those awful announcers/DJ's and the scoreboard to lead cheers. They, the Nats, and Orioles use canned music, also. None of that is found at a DC United game and the fans' experience there is none the worse (and in most case is better)"
---------

This is so true, and it's one of the things I love most about United games. I took my 67 yr old dad to United v. NY Pink Cows, and he said "This is the most fun I've ever had at a any professional sports game ever" (we sat near the Barra and SE).

Posted by: David | August 15, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

If you go to a Redskins game you get explosions, cheerleaders, blaring music, Jumbotron cheers all provided by the team to ramp up the fans.

If you go to a DC United game you get drums, confetti, streamers, smoke and mayhem all provided by the fans to ramp up the team.

Posted by: Chico | August 15, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

It also helps that DCU actually wins.

Posted by: RK | August 15, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Gamecock fan as well. Maybe they don't twirl hankies, but some other white cloth.

Posted by: rc | August 15, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

"Barra Brava fans should get on DC United to get rid of Ben Olsen. Olsen brings nothing to United other than a string of injuries and cards. Olsen is a negative influence on the team not postive influence. " Ball68

Do you just post this every string to start a flame war? We love our Benny. Get over this vendetta. He's got heart.

Posted by: gallegoscot | August 15, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Great article from the Post. Absolutely first-rate. Keep doing what you're doing United fans.

Posted by: j | August 15, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"Barra Brava fans should get on DC United to get rid of Ben Olsen. Olsen brings nothing to United other than a string of injuries and cards. Olsen is a negative influence on the team not postive influence."

See what I mean? There are idiots all over the internet.

Posted by: Jeremy | August 15, 2007 6:00 PM | Report abuse

The more I think on it, the more I think it's not really a fair comparison of American soccer supporters groups with college sports fans. Sure, they're all fans, but that's where I think the similarity ends.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Brought a tear to my eye, stuck here in NC, able to come to 1 or 2 games a year....

And lay off Benny!!!!! Who used to be Benji, from what I remember...

Posted by: Andy In Asheville | August 15, 2007 9:56 PM | Report abuse