FC Dallas to Fans: We'll Make It Up to Ya

In a move to appease fans who came to Pizza Hut Park on Tuesday expecting to see David Beckham, FC Dallas announced late today that it will offer a free ticket promotion for a Dallas-Los Angeles charity match in early 2008. Details still to come.

Here is what the club had to say:

The game will serve as a fundraiser for charities to be mutually agreed upon by both FC Dallas and the LA Galaxy. All net proceeds from the donations will be presented to the selected charities on behalf of both teams and their fans. A limited number of tickets will be made available to the general public for a minimum contribution. Fans that purchased tickets through the FC Dallas front office or Ticketmaster to the July 31 game will receive more information on how to claim the free ticket for the preseason game in the mail in the coming weeks. Fans will have the opportunity to reserve the same amount of tickets for the preseason game as they originally purchased for the July 31 SuperLiga game.

So whatcha think of Dallas's move? Clearly, the opportunity to schedule a friendly for charity made it all possible. For league matches, Becks is expected to, at the very least, make an appearance at the stadium. (For the SuperLiga game, he remained in the L.A. area.)

I know we have discussed this situation at length in other threads, but Dallas's announcement adds a wrinkle to it.

By Steve Goff  |  August 3, 2007; 6:15 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United's Lineup Options
Next: Saturday in the Park

Comments

It would appear to be a class (and face saving) move on FC Dallas' part.

Posted by: Roy Stevens | August 3, 2007 7:00 PM | Report abuse

I've try to stay away from the whole brouhaha surrounding Soccer Spice, but what more can the league do? The injury is really the worst possibility in all of this tornado of hype that has surrounded the Beckhams. Incidentally, the charity event is really the best possible option for them to try to make things right with the casual attender who feels somehow slighted. League suits can do nothing but hope that the Beckham Charity Tour will have a shorter run than the Beckham MLS debut tour.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 3, 2007 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I thought Beckham was going to be out with a hamstring injury in 2008? or was that 09?

So Goff which hotel do opposing MLS teams stay at in DC? Do they have a deal with one of those places up NY ave? I wonder if Galaxy has upgraded their travel packages for Becks.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 3, 2007 7:04 PM | Report abuse

"Fans that purchased tickets ..."

See, proof that FC Dallas fans aren't human.

Sheesh, you'd think the PR office could hire an editor.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 3, 2007 7:18 PM | Report abuse

The problem isn't that the player these casual fans want to see is injured, the problem is that they're charging extra for these Beckham games. If they didn't do that, the fans would have less to complain about.

Posted by: Baltimore | August 3, 2007 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I guess Dallas feels really embarassed about this. Their club looks pretty pathetic right now. I don't blame them. Just unlucky.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 3, 2007 8:02 PM | Report abuse

OK, So did the Dallas fans have to pay extra to see this game? If so, did they pay extra because its a SuperLiga match or a Beckham match?

I'm glad Dallas is doing something for charity. That's laudable, but the fact that they feel they have to make up for Beckham's absence makes MLS look bush league. I doubt the NBA ever offered fans a make up date when Michael Jordan didn't show up because he was hurt. Look, all MLS has done is tout the fact that they have a world class player in the league. Yes, it's been over the top, but players get hurt and when fans buy tickets it's buyer beware.

Plus, those who went to the Dallas v. LA Match saw 11 goals! 11 GOALS! It doesn't get any better for a casual American sports fans. In my opinion, Dallas (and LA, which now has a new match on their schedule) went way above and beyond here.

Posted by: Sporty Spice | August 3, 2007 8:31 PM | Report abuse

i live in the Dallas area and if you saw the level of promotion FCDallas went through locally, you will understand.

Personally, i had a hunch he was not going to make it down here after that last Real Madrid game. But then again i am not one of those once in a blue moon occasional fan. I wish all them would go away and let David B. concentrate on getting better and improve the level of play in MLS.

I think the biggest mistake LA and MLS would do right now is rush him back into playing and have him injured for a longer extended period of time.

it is time for this nonsense to stop. It is time for the real fans to put a stop to this circus.

Posted by: texans | August 3, 2007 8:39 PM | Report abuse

OK, so this being the second year of the Beckham hype (at least for us in Salt Lake City), I can offer this little tibit to the discussion. Almost 90 percent of the people who asked me to purchase them tickets for last years RSL vs. RM match, wanted them to see Beckham. Knowing that and knowing that every MLS team is in the red or close to being in the red, should they not attempt to earn some extra cash when they have a high profile match? For our recent friendlies against Everton and Boca Jr's. ticket prices were higher than other matches against MLS teams (no impact on season ticket holders)and those matches had lower than expected attendance. Tickets for the RSL vs. Galaxy match went on sale this week and are priced at the normal single match price.

I think what Dallas did is very smart, it provides their season ticket holders with an early 2008 perk and make up for a bad situation to the casual beckham fan.

Posted by: f4denz | August 3, 2007 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I am so sick of this Beckham brouhaha that I could toss my cookies.

I don't like the DP rule and I don't like the Beckham hype catering to our celebrity-intoxicated public. What's next, Britney Spears and Paris Hilton heading up a rejuvenated WUSA?

If Uncle Phil and the Gazillionaires wanted to spend extra money, raising the salary cap by a million or so per team and adding a few more players to each roster would have improved the teams, the league, and the game. And that would bring long-haul fannies to the seats, not one-time "big event" wonders.

Posted by: Dave | August 3, 2007 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Sporty Spice: yeah, the extra $$ was because it was a Superliga match (they gotta raise the prize money somehow :))
This is ludicrous to feel apologetic and all that (though a charity match is a good thing just because).
There are no assurances that ANY player will ever be there in uniform. As others have said, teams in the NBA used to hype the hell outta Bulls appearances to get more asses in seats of their sad arenas. Thankfully, Jordan was rarely injured, but no one gave 'make up' gifts on the times he was.
Sure it's a problem that Becks is one of a scant few stars in the league, but the fact remains, there is a chance that an athlete won't be healthy for the game you bought the ticket for. If you can't accept that, don't buy the ticket in advance and pray you get a gameday ticket at face value, or expect to drop a few hundred more than you would have normally.
Dallas ticketholders who didn't show up should feel more embarrassed that they missed one of the craziest games of the year. I feel no pity for them.

Posted by: papa bear | August 3, 2007 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Classy move. Let Becks heal!

Posted by: stephen j. healy | August 3, 2007 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Class move. It's good branding and respectful of their fans.

Posted by: Arrrlington | August 3, 2007 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Re: the Dallas move, I think it was a nice tip of the hat to their fans. I also think it was completely unnecessary.

Maybe that's just me.

Posted by: MattM | August 3, 2007 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Why Do fans hate BEckham so much, what did he do to all of you? It this about envy? I dont get it. A real soccer fan LOVES HIS team to death but also Repects a class player...R we missing this in DC or are these idiots who are talking about a CIRCUS fans from another city. I agree i will give him hell during our game in DC like no other, but after that no more. Its not like he is a cheater,diver. Give me one good reason to hate this guy..please anyone

Posted by: SOCCERFAN | August 3, 2007 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

For someone who's on "B"SPN's case about the excessive Beckham coverage, you sure spend a lot of time talking about it either directly or indirectly.

So what is it?

A. Anything to do with Becks is a legitimate soccer-related story.

B. You're doing that media thing where you pretend to be sneering at the media coverage, when you're actually covering it just as much as anyone else.

C. You've got a Spice World movie poster stashed away and you know you'll never get it signed if you ignore him completely.

Posted by: bbarrie | August 4, 2007 12:08 AM | Report abuse

What's DC United's excuse gonna be when Tattoo Spice doesn't play on Thurs?

Free tickets to the Marco Testimonial against a Fake Soccer Club?

Posted by: Just Wonderin' | August 4, 2007 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Boy playing vs Chelsea was stupid. And we didn't even get the worst case scenario there. Part of me now thinks that the league/Galaxy priority for Beckham is now the Giants Stadium game, and that anything before that is unlikely.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2007 9:04 AM | Report abuse

So what is it?

A. Anything to do with Becks is a legitimate soccer-related story.

-----------

Lighten up, amigo. The shots at BSPN are directed at what I perceive as their cheerleading, not the general decision to cover him. Of course, the media should cover him! With Becks coming to town in a few days, does it not make sense to write about him?

Posted by: Goff | August 4, 2007 9:23 AM | Report abuse

LOL . .

""Indeed, my Spice Girls merchandise is ready for autographs! I'm so excited!!!!! It's a dream come true!!!!!""

Bet you can't name one Spice Girls song, Goff!! And no cheating . . .

Posted by: delantero | August 4, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I take great pride in not being able to name one Spice Girls song.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 4, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

If teams weren't squeezing the fans for extra $ to see LA they would not be on this position. Cheers to Dallas for making good. Becks or no Becks, I look forward to a big crowd again at RFK which will make for a great atmosphere. For the sake of soccer, we need BSPN to get good ratings so they stick with the sport. Look at what happened to the NHL once it disappeared from BSPN. Higher ratings equals more revenue equals higher salary cap equals better players equals better league.

Posted by: gburg tim | August 4, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Good answer...

Now repeat after me: "So tell me what you want, what you really really want"

Then repeat it another dozen times and that's about their whole catalog.

Posted by: bbarrie | August 4, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

so, now LA gets a competitive advantage by being allowed to fly their own charters instead of commercial? MLS really wants them in the playoffs don't they!? Security? It's an airplane. What do they think is going to happen? A bunch of screaming teenage girls are going to make googily eyes at him for his whole flight? I've been on planes with VIP passengers before and there has not been any sort of problem.

Posted by: Glenn | August 4, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm starting to really hate this league after being a supporter of it from the beginning. Screw the DP. It will do more harm than good.

Posted by: Booo Becks | August 4, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I can't say I have any problem with this from FCD. It's more than other clubs would do. They are at least trying to do something for their fans when there really is no requirement to do so - good on them.

Posted by: writered21 | August 4, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Rack the Burn for doing the right thing.

Posted by: DCU in NoVA | August 4, 2007 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Anyone notice that Beckham has cast a lot of doubt on Thursday?

Posted by: Justin | August 5, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Anybody who buys a ticket for the sole purpose of seeing Beckham is an idiot. Injuries happen.

I flew to London to see Arsenal for the Blackburn match last year. I desperately wanted to see Thierry Henry and Ryan Nelsen play, but they were both injured. Those are the breaks. Deal.

Posted by: Publius | August 5, 2007 11:29 PM | Report abuse

"I flew to London to see Arsenal for the Blackburn match last year. I desperately wanted to see Thierry Henry and Ryan Nelsen play, but they were both injured."

Were you given a refund? Stupid Brits!

Posted by: JJ | August 6, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse