I'm Not in Europe, Am I?

Another reason to love Toronto and Canada.....

Inside Terminal 1, awaiting a flight to Dulles, the Molson Cafe is showing Man U-Spurs live on all the big screen TVs. Great match, cracking goal, controversy, goal line clearances.....

As promised, here's the video clip of Nani's phenomenal strike (though it might've nicked Tevez on the cranium on the way there).....

By Steve Goff  |  August 26, 2007; 1:15 PM ET
Categories:  World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA Women, U-17s Win
Next: Days of Rest

Comments

The Soccerplex shows EPL on the weekends and you can tell by the SUVs in the parking lot that it's not Europe (regardless of the Eurosnobs who dress their kids in Chelsea and Barca kits - you knew I had to get that stab in).

BTW, if you're reading this, parents of the 5 year old dressed in a DC United uniform: Way to go!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 26, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

You knew that ManU wouldn't stay in the bottom three for long, but sad to see the Fulham has taken their place.

Posted by: emanon | August 26, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

5 years old - that's nothing my 10 month old has an official DC white jersey that she wears to all the matches in Los Angeles.

james

Posted by: james | August 26, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

At this time (about 1500 hours EDT), people who go to the main URL for this blog (http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/) are being sent to "The Aftermath," which is now the third most recent thread. This may help explain why there have been relatively few posts to the two most recent threads. Then again, this pattern may simply be further evidence that people are waiting to get back to their workplaces on Monday before checking in here.

Posted by: Section 410 | August 26, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Has Goff told us who'll be filling in for him while he's in China?

Maybe LaCanfora will get bored with covering that Native American-for-a-logo team...

Posted by: Juan-John | August 26, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

you mean you didn't have to suffer a night out while watching baseball highlights non-stop for 3 hours before even catching a glimpse of the UNITED score line . .

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

As he did last summer when I was in Germany, Dan "Bog Man" Steinberg will cover United while I am gone. He will cover DCU as a beat and contribute to both the Soccer Insider and the Sports Bog. I can't tell you how happy I am about this development. He will do a great job again.

Posted by: Goff | August 26, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

"As he did last summer when I was in Germany, Dan "Bog Man" Steinberg will cover United while I am gone."

Cool!

Posted by: Juan-John | August 26, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I hear the Bogman is actually trying to steal your job and readers. Next he wants to challenge you to NASL style PKS for the right to cover DCU.

Posted by: sitruc | August 26, 2007 5:51 PM | Report abuse

One of the goal-scorers for Germany's U-17 team?

P. Funk

Make your own jokes.

Posted by: RK | August 26, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Where can we read about the WWC? Are you going to have daily articles in the paper version or just online and on your blog?

My neices are all huge O Reilly fans and I'm sure she will have some nice goals to write home about.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 26, 2007 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I will be in China from Sept. 8 through the final on Sept. 30. Stories will appear in the print edition and on the Web site almost daily. I will file USA game reports for the Web site the moment the match ends...so you can wake up in the morning and read all about it!

The Insider will have contributions from me overseas, Steinberg with United and perhaps others on various soccer matters.

Posted by: Goff | August 26, 2007 6:39 PM | Report abuse

As a Spurs supporter, why did I click on that video?

Oh yes, because I am a Spurs supporter. And apparently making my own life as miserable as possible is my only true objective.

Expletive.

Posted by: Kyle | August 26, 2007 6:42 PM | Report abuse

So Nani is credited with the goal, and not Tevez? Stupid fantasy league.....

Posted by: JkR | August 26, 2007 7:04 PM | Report abuse

But how will the Bog Man deal with the fact that his favorite source and jolly prankster (and fellow blogger) Bobby Boswell is riding the pine?

Posted by: tcal (aka Hedbal) | August 26, 2007 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm, great question.
:-)

Posted by: Goff | August 26, 2007 8:01 PM | Report abuse

3-0 Rapids over LA at the half. The Galaxy really are swiss cheese. As much as I hate the Gal they shouldn't be this bad. I mean, how can we even brag when we crush them next time? If that organization has any idea what its doing Lalas and Yallop should be sans jobs by morning...

Posted by: Gburg | August 26, 2007 8:04 PM | Report abuse

to give LA some credit/an excuse not only did Beckham not make the trip to CO. Donovan also stayed home. Leaving them with 2 players who are in their first MLS game.

Posted by: emanon | August 26, 2007 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it's not too late to re-brand the LA Galaxy. How about a new logo with dying cockroach on it's back slowly moving it's legs in the air?

OK, so logos don't normally have moving parts but a SuperTeam on the cutting edge of new entertainment and global promotional paradigms should be able to swing it!

Posted by: garbaggio | August 26, 2007 9:26 PM | Report abuse

My 5 year old broke his arm about 10 days ago. Got the red cast to match his black D.C. United home kit. He's a real fan. ;) You should have seen him at the NYRB game. So proud of that cast. :)

Hey, how much to get Nani? Think of how many cool song's we could come up with for his name.

Finally, for the love of everything holy and good will someone please fire Alexi Lalas?!!??!! Please. Someone has to take the blame for this absolute disgrace for a team.

Posted by: AlexandriaDan | August 26, 2007 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Is that a Conor Casey sighting? Took him long enough to net his first one...

Posted by: RK | August 26, 2007 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Why is he called the 'bog man'?

Posted by: thekop | August 26, 2007 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Two interesting notes about the world of football:

1. Eric Cantona is now coach of the French Beach Football team. Yes, there is a Beach World Cup taking place this year.

2. Northern Ireland is ranked above the Republic of Ireland in the FIFA world rankings. Embarrassing that the Republic is in such a state. Will they make the World Cup? Will England make the World Cup?

Posted by: thekop | August 26, 2007 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Do you mean Euro 2008, Thekop? Because WC2010 qualifying hasn't seriously gotten started yet.

Posted by: Colm | August 26, 2007 11:18 PM | Report abuse

That's fresh off Cantona being part of the Homeless World Cup...

Posted by: RK | August 27, 2007 9:07 AM | Report abuse

In case others had the same question, I looked it up and the coach of the US Beach Soccer team is Roberto Ceciliano.

Posted by: emanon | August 27, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: james | August 26, 2007 02:03 PM
------------------

Has she timed her spit-ups and burps with the announcement of LA's starting line-up?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 27, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Anybody know if FSC or GolTV will be broadcasting the Copa Sudamericana, or will we be watching DCU on one of the Univision feeds?

Posted by: Juan-John | August 27, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse