Matchday 17: DCU at NE

Because I love that dirty water
Oh, oh, Boston, you're my home

[UPDATED!]

Greetings from the artificial grass of Estadio Gillette, along Route 1 just past the cheap motels, mini-golf, RV dealerships and yet another Dunkin Donuts in the village of Foxborough.....

Neither Moreno nor Gomez will start this afternoon against the surging Revolution but will likely enter in the second half. And of course, Fred is out on suspension. United should score 3 or 4 today, eh?

Kpene to join Emilio up top, Dyachenko for Gomez in the middle, Gros and Olsen on the flanks with Simms in support, Burch, Boswell, McTavish, Namoff and Perkins in the back. [Simms for Carroll, no injury, just a change of pace.]

As usual, this is the place for pregame, in-game and postgame commentary. Join the fun.

By Steve Goff  |  August 5, 2007; 2:08 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NCAA, W-League and Nicole Cup
Next: The Aftermath

Comments

I'll be at the game today. Here's hoping we can bury DC in the standings for a little while longer. (Yes, I realize you have two games in hand.) Good luck!

Posted by: New England Guy | August 5, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Didn't I call a similar line-up in an earlier post... Hmmm lemme go check.

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 5, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Must have been on BigSoccer.

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 5, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Don't be ridiculous.

Posted by: Goff | August 5, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

uuuuugggghhhh

Posted by: dtd | August 5, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Jaime still nicked up? We need him. Vamos United.

Posted by: towson | August 5, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

3-1 DC

Kpene with a pair and Olsen gets one as well.

Noonan or Dorman probably will score for NE, but DC will dominate, even with Moreno and Gomez on the bench.

Posted by: United 2007 | August 5, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

No Moreno, no Gomez, and no Fred makes me think that DCU is certainly not going to attack up the middle, as they have been doing almost exclusively this season. Makes me think that another offensive strategy might be on order.

Perhaps we might see a DeRoux (sp?) on the wing to add some speed to the attack, or a swap of Gros from left to right and a move of Burch to the left midfield to bring some more of his beautiful crosses into play.

Ben Olsen has been doing a credible job on the wing lately, but I can't help thinking DC's going to need his leadership in the middle in this game if Goff is correct about Moreno AND Gomez not starting this game, in addition to the loss of Fred due to his red card suspension.

Posted by: DCUinWheaton | August 5, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

My negativity is slightly tempered by the fact that New England's strength is their ability to take away another teams strength. We have no obvious attacking strategy with that lineup and hopefully that the element of surprise will be in our favor.

Also I hope Namoff and Burch have good games with some quality overlapping runs and nice service to Emilio, Kpene and Dyachenko.

Posted by: dtd | August 5, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

re: Don't be ridiculous.

Yeah, you're right, I had Arguez plugged in at CAM instead of Rod. But still had Kpene and Emilio up top. :-p

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 5, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Could we see either Moreno or Gomez come on as a sub in the 65th minute if things have gone wrong and we find ourselves down a goal?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey is there any chance Mookie Arguez will play in this game?

Posted by: Hey | August 5, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I suspect both Gomez and Moreno will come in the 2nd half, unless Gomez' charly-horse is worse than previously stated.

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 5, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

If this is true and we go an hour or so before either Gomez or Moreno comes on, I am severely worried. The game could be lost by then.

I do agree with DCUinWheaton, that we should use Olsen in the middle and try to attack the flanks. Heaps hasn't been in great form, and Parkhurst is still just a little guy. If we can pump some crosses in, Emilio will win a good number of headers against that group of defenders. Dyachenko's inconsistency (in a month, he's been pulled twice before halftime, but also had his best game in a United jersey) makes me unsure about starting him.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 5, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Arguez???

Not for a long time. Raw, very raw.

Posted by: Goff | August 5, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Shalrie is going to kill us

Posted by: Neo | August 5, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

what about New England's Lineup? Any news

Posted by: dtd | August 5, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Matt reis is a man-hog. I don't mean that as a compliment.

Posted by: i hate new england | August 5, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Grosssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

1-0 on Reis' error. I'll take it.

Posted by: Colm | August 5, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Well, RSL won, and DC scored on the road. I guess that makes Becks a shoe-in to play on Thursday night.

Posted by: Glenn | August 5, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

hahahahahahaha Eat it, Reis !

Posted by: rfk 315 | August 5, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

2-0. Emilio.

Posted by: Colm | August 5, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Arguez didn't see any PT with the U-20's, why does anyone think he's ready for United?

Posted by: d | August 5, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Beckham must be planning on a full 90 for RFK.

Posted by: sitruc | August 5, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Are the match trackers from MLSNet working for anyone? I'm listening to WMET from lovely Birmingham, AL, but I like to be able to keep track of cards and stuff.

Posted by: Colm | August 5, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I hate the revs more than any other team in the league.

Posted by: i hate the revs | August 5, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

dcunited.com match tracker working in NC.

Posted by: Josh | August 5, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Sims is playing very well.

Posted by: is sims god? | August 5, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

A big difference is the action on DCU's left wing. A lot more circulation . Kpene being very agressive, setting a strong tempo.

Posted by: morphit | August 5, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Did that half really happen?
2-0 without Fred, Gomez and Moreno?
Wow.

Posted by: Goff | August 5, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Does Heaps know that you can jump into the air without raising your elbow?

I think we see the DCU first choice backline, and the whole team is playing with great energy and holding their shape very well. Not at all what I was expecting but boy am I happy so far.

I expect Moreno comes in for 30+ minutes to help control the tempo.

Posted by: dtd | August 5, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Which is more surprising? Simms assist or Gros goal

Posted by: sitruc | August 5, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Long ways to go, but what a half for United. The first half was just sheer determination on DCU's part. NE looks very sluggish and uninterested. Let's hope another 45 rolls by before they realize they have a match to play today!

Vamos United!

Posted by: Keenan | August 5, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Moreno comes in, hopefully his record breaking goal ices it.

Posted by: dtd | August 5, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Moreno in for Kpene! I thought Kpene did pretty well for the time he had in the first half.

Posted by: Keenan | August 5, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

It only took heaps about 45 seconds to take a cheap shot a Moreno. That guy is such a hack.

Posted by: tmc | August 5, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm loving Burch at LB. This kid has become quite a revelation, especially in this league where good LB's just don't exist outside of Bornstein.

Posted by: Keenan | August 5, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or does Moreno look like he would have rather not played today? He just seems to be going through the motions out there.

Posted by: Keenan | August 5, 2007 5:22 PM | Report abuse

59 min. - Moreno grabbing his back. Seriously, why put him in with a 2-0 lead?

Posted by: Keenan | August 5, 2007 5:24 PM | Report abuse

65 min. - Joseph deserves a yellow for diving!

Posted by: Keenan | August 5, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

70th min. - Perkins almost has one of his "head in the clouds" moments. Olsen prevents a give me goal by K.Smith. Clearly, DCU is finished scoring goals. Let's just hope we have enough grit to keep NE off the board.

Posted by: Keenan | August 5, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

moreno doesn't look at all well. He's toughing it out, though...

Posted by: morphit | August 5, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

B. Carroll in, Jaime out.

Posted by: Colm | August 5, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse

74 min. - B. Carroll in for Moreno. I'm still scratching my head why Kpene was subbed off at the half... Let's hope Moreno has not picked up another injury.

Posted by: Keenan | August 5, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse

GOAL!!!!! Emilio with the brace! Game,set,match!!!!!

Posted by: Keenan | August 5, 2007 5:40 PM | Report abuse

L. Emilio. 3-0.

Posted by: Colm | August 5, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

MLS to bring back shootouts and OT for Beckham game just so he can go 120 minutes?

Posted by: sitruc | August 5, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Emilio feels better. Execution style...

Posted by: morphit | August 5, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

3 or 4 today,eh? Improbable!

Posted by: Keenan | August 5, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

As I predicted.....

;-)

Posted by: Goff | August 5, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

83rd min. - Where have all the fans gone? Pathetic crowd,pathetic atmosphere. Dare I say that KC has a better home atmosphere than NE!?

Posted by: Keenan | August 5, 2007 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Point well taken, but in person, this is better atmosphere than KC.

Posted by: Goff | August 5, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

87th min. - Let's just finish this up with no more injuries or cards please...

Posted by: Keenan | August 5, 2007 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Was there even 10K there today Goff?

Posted by: Keenan | August 5, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

who was calling for Luci to get the ax in one of those threads the other day? Ladies and gentlemen, your leading MLS goalscorer!

such a smart game by pretty much everyone. I like Burch's skill and gamesmanship. He could be hard to get out of that spot in the line up.

NE reverts to their full whiny punk mode when things don't go their way. I hate them almost as much as LA and NY.

Posted by: Glenn | August 5, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

89th min. - Christman misses NE's only full chance today. That kid is a bulldog. He would have looked awfully good in the Black & Red...

Posted by: Keenan | August 5, 2007 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Word of the Day - OPPORTUNISTIC - DCU did what they had to do today to get a huge result! 1st place in the East is within sight!

DCU 3
NE 0
FINAL

Posted by: Keenan | August 5, 2007 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Well, that was a comprehensive, if wholly unexpected thrashing. Even with all the whining and complaining we've done over the past several weeks, with 2 games in hand we are sitting in a pretty good position as far as the league is concerned.

Posted by: Throwin | August 5, 2007 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 5, 2007 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Vamos United!!

Totally unexpected result - the question begs:

Is Moreno OK or is he further injured? He was not looking good....

Posted by: brew1b | August 5, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

That performance was the exact opposite of everything I have come to expect from United.

Posted by: Max | August 5, 2007 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Glenn and Throwin bring up a good point. I guess people calling for Soehn to be fired because we aren't 30-0 will quiet down now.

The idea with Moreno was probably to just give him some game time. After all, he's barely played with us in like 6 weeks. Jay "I'm a disgrace to humanity" Heaps came out and threw himself into Moreno, giving him the back injury. I feel like that caused the somewhat lackadaisical play from him after that.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 5, 2007 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 5, 2007 06:08 PM

"The first 15 minutes were exactly what I thought we would see: Revs in control, disjointed attacks from DC, and a lot of wondering when NE would put it together and create a chance.

Since then, though, we've been the better team. We are playing with energy, aggression, and a good deal of intelligence."

===========

That's rather uncharitable. Since the Revs waited until the 89th minute to register their only chance on goal, I'm not sure where you get them demonstrating any kind of early dominance.

They had the edge in possession up to that point, I'll grant you. But they never threatened, and we had as many wild whacks at goal as they did through 15.

I think it's pretty safe to say we dominated most of this game. We were getting no joy at all from Alex Prus, and still managed to more than hold our own throughout the day.

Posted by: le Rouge | August 5, 2007 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 5, 2007 06:16 PM

"All in all, the game couldn't have gone better. We defended well, fought for every ball, and finished our chances when they came to us. We simply wanted to win this game more than the Revs, and completely deserve the 3 points. Great performance."

=============

Yeah, that's more what I had in mind.

Posted by: le Rouge | August 5, 2007 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Nice game by Simms (watch out Carroll), Dyachenko and Kpene. Lots of hustle.

Posted by: DCU 4EVER | August 5, 2007 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Bring on Beckman's Galaxy!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2007 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Goff

"United should score 3 or 4 today, eh?"

Goff, thanks for always giving us a reliable scoop!

Posted by: Dave the Wave | August 5, 2007 6:34 PM | Report abuse

You wonder what the ref is looking at on the middle of field headers, what with all the elbows.

IMO they need to protect the players from that sort of chicanery (Heaps doing his best to injure Moreno).

Posted by: morphit | August 5, 2007 6:47 PM | Report abuse

DCU says Moreno had back spasms, nothing serious.

Posted by: Goff | August 5, 2007 7:04 PM | Report abuse

thanks Goff

Posted by: m | August 5, 2007 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Nice day for DC soccer. Congrats to the Freedom.

Posted by: Goose | August 5, 2007 8:18 PM | Report abuse

WOW! The Revelosers were just asleep on the first and third goal; arguably on the second too, but it was a beautiful ball from Kpene.

Heaps should have seen yellow for that spinning leg sweep of Moreno. He was beaten, facing the wrong way and did not attempt to play the ball. Who on DC United plays the position that Wynalda created - enforcer?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 5, 2007 8:18 PM | Report abuse

In a word, embarrassing. Just a horrible performance by the Revs today. DC challenged for every ball, and were well deserved victors. I'm having trouble remembering a single stretch where the Revs put together more than 2 passes in United's half of the field. Kudos United...I'm just counting time till the Revs move to Philly anyway.

Posted by: New England Guy | August 5, 2007 8:19 PM | Report abuse

The past few games, Matt Burch has really been on his game. All his crosses this game were just on point. I mean on a couple of occasions he actually placed on the ball on the strikers' heads. Gros is good on the wing but Burch is a better crosser in my opinion.

Posted by: Bart | August 5, 2007 8:32 PM | Report abuse

I have nothing insightful to say-i am just sitting here trying to figure out which rev I hate the most. I think it comes down to heaps, reis or, for reasons I don't quite understand, laurentowicz (spelling?)

Posted by: i hate the revs | August 5, 2007 8:35 PM | Report abuse

RE: Laurentowicz. Maybe it's the goggles. How do you feel about James Worthy, olympic swimmers, chemistry geeks?

Posted by: Dr. Melfi | August 5, 2007 8:56 PM | Report abuse

It's easy to say Laurentowicz because he's basically a thug with little skill. Reis we hate because he's stoned us so many times. Heaps is a thug too but at least has a little bit of skill.

I have to say it's not sounding too good on the Beckham front for Thursday. LA looks totally awful. I hope DC doesn't go in overconfident.

Posted by: Glenn | August 5, 2007 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Select "Toronto FC crowd." Ctrl-C. Ctrl-V in every other MLS city. Please. PLEASE.

Posted by: New England Guy | August 5, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

I have to get this out there because I listen to WaPo radio every morning. So Monday moring they have Emilio Ruiz to talk sports. After blathering about barry Bonds, they mention DC vs LA. Of course it was all about becks and the closing comment was something along the lines of "if you bought a ticket to see Becks you might want to stay home."

Of course there was nothing, nip, nada about the 3-0 win over the Revs.

Really unbelievable. No, actually TOTALLY believable.

Posted by: Dave | August 7, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse