McBride Injured

American striker Brian McBride scored for Fulham in the 16th minute today, then crumpled to the turf clutching his left knee. The initial reports say he suffered a dislocated kneecap, another devastating injury to a player who has been plagued by setbacks during his club career in MLS and England.

Fulham lost 2-1 to Middlesbrough. Carlos Bocanegra went 90 minutes and Clint Dempsey entered in the 35th for yet another injured teammate.

Elsewhere, Marcus Hahnemann registered the shutout in Reading's 1-0 win over Everton. Bobby Convey came on in the 79th. Jonathan Spector played 86 minutes in West Ham's 1-0 victory at Birmingham, and Benny Feilhaber and Eddie Lewis did not play during Derby's 4-0 loss at Spurs.

By Steve Goff  |  August 18, 2007; 2:42 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Quick United Update
Next: Matchday 19: DCU at Columbus

Comments

For the most part, I think McBride's suspectabilty to injury has been overstated by his American fans. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery in this instance.

Posted by: Justin | August 18, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

The only disappointment for this Spurs fan this morning was not getting to see Feilhaber and Eddie Lewis on the pitch for County.

However, couldn't be happier with 3 points for Hotspur. Let's hope DCU can do the same tonight.

Posted by: Kyle | August 18, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

dislocated knee cap? god that sounds painful.

Posted by: joelk | August 18, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

dislocated knee cap? god that sounds painful.

Posted by: joelk | August 18, 2007 03:54 PM
Looked painful, too, although he did wave to the crowd on his way off the field, on a stretcher with an inflatable splint on his leg.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

ESPNews is saying ESPN2 will carry the NY-LA game tonight.

Posted by: Juan-John | August 18, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

McBride got hurt when taking a shot that scored a goal - absolutely no contact on the play. Also, Warner (Fulham's goalkeeper) gave us a goal he absolutely should have saved, and Clint Dempsey shot wide on an easy opportunity that would have tied the match. All around, wasn't Fulham's day.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

ESPNews is saying ESPN2 will carry the NY-LA game tonight.

Posted by: Juan-John | August 18, 2007 04:28 PM

My guide still says Drag Racing and ATP Tennis on ESPN2. Also, this is FSC's game of the week, with pre and post game shows, so I doubt it will be simultaneously be shown on ESPN2.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/espnGuide says that ESPN2 will show racing and tennis. Too bad, would've liked to see the game in HD.

Posted by: Chris | August 18, 2007 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know when we can expect to see a Feilhaber debut for Derby (not sure is he has played yet)? Personally, I would have liked to see him stay and grow under the Bundesliga.

Posted by: DaveS | August 18, 2007 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I've actually dislocated my kneecap (at a hardcore show at the Safari Club in 1994), and I can tell you that it's easily the most painful injury I've had. Nothing like sitting in the pit realizing that your kneecap is not where it should be and that you need to pop it back in place yourself, immediately...

Anyway, I was in a leg splint and on crutches for about six weeks. I did the rehab and was able to continue playing soccer, basketball, etc. However the knee has always remained a little weaker and "looser" than it was. However McBride is a professional athelete in far better shape than me and with pro trainers to help him rehab, I'd expect him to be playing again within 2 months.

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 19, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse