Planes, Shoes, Honors and Brazil

*MLS leading scorer Luciano Emilio (strained hamstring) worked out today and was set to travel with the club to Dallas. Whether he will start remains unclear.

*Troy Perkins has been named MLS player of the month for August. He had a 5-0-0 record and allowed one goal (a PK against New York). The previous winners:

April: Eddie Johnson (Kansas City Wizards)
May: Juan Pablo Ángel (New York Red Bulls)
June: Juan Pablo Ángel (New York Red Bulls)
July: Guillermo Barros Schelotto (Columbus Crew)

*The boots Jaime Moreno wore while scoring his MLS-record 109th goal have gone on display at the National Soccer Hall of Fame in Oneonta, N.Y. "It is a privilege to share my soccer shoes with the Hall of Fame," he said. We are grateful, Jaime. ;-)

*Technical director Dave Kasper said he has not had any communication with the USSF about national team call-ups for the USA-Brazil match next weekend in Chicago -- a strong indication that United will be at full strength for the New England game at RFK the same day. The Euro-heavy U.S. roster will be unveiled early next week.

By Steve Goff  |  August 31, 2007; 12:50 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Has Broken
Next: MLS Salary Updates

Comments

what about any DCU callups from Brazil National Team?

Hey, we do have a roster full of brazilians..

:-D

Posted by: justsayin' | August 31, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Good news on Emilio. and GREAT news for Perkins. Thanks.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 31, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Goff please tell Ives to get off the Szetela family's lawn. He's embarrassing himself.

Posted by: Aargh | August 31, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

----

LOL!

Posted by: Goff | August 31, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

so what did they do with Kreis's boots?

Posted by: Ethan | August 31, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

so what did they do with Kreis's boots?

----

Put them in the trash where everything from RSL goes by the end of the season?

Posted by: Jason S | August 31, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Goff, with the signing of Denilson by FC Dallas they will be one over the limit for foreign players on there roster, any news of who gets the boot and where that person will go

Posted by: bennett | August 31, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I threw this out in a previous thread, but didn't get any feedback, so I'll ask again. Why isn't Perkins getting more attention from Bradley and the USMNT? He has a great GA average, and is at least as good as Guzan, if not better.

I'm not saying he should get minutes over Howard or in the Brazil match, but why not give him a chance to face an international level of play and see how he does? Perkins has shown again and again that he's at his best rising to face a challenge.

On the other hand, minutes in for the MNT would be minutes out for DCU, so there's a benefit to his flight under Bradley's radar.

Posted by: DCBird | August 31, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Any news on Revolution call ups for the USA game. I think Bob needs to bring in Noonan, Twellman, Ralston, Parkhurst and Reis.

Posted by: Kinney | August 31, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Re: Troy and the National Team.

I think he should go to camps when they call in 4 or 5 keepers, but I think Guzan, Reis and Cannon are a step above Troy. Not to say that one day he won't be in the pool, but for now I think there's better in MLS.

Speaking of which, how old is Perkins? Still mid-20s, right? I hope we keep him around for a good long time.

Posted by: e | August 31, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

DCbird-

The US is unusually deep at keeper so its hard to break through. Guzan is younger and pretty hot stuff. Perkins has no caps but was called into the MNT winter camp but Bradley prefered other keepers and he was sent home. Might be called back for the 2008 winter camp who knows?

Posted by: bluemeanies | August 31, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

-----

Agreed.

Posted by: Goff | August 31, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Perkins has too much hair.

Posted by: RK | August 31, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Perkins has too much hair.

Posted by: RK | August 31, 2007 02:18 PM
---------------

For the Vitalis endorsements (see Dips v Strikers clip).

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 31, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Maybe if Troy started speaking with an affected "British" accent...

Posted by: EdTheRed | August 31, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

As much as I love Troy, he's no where near the top of the US goalkeeping pecking order.

Assuming Keller is no longer in the USMNT's plans, you have Howard, Hahnemann, Guzan, Reis, Cannon and then the up-and-coming Seitz in front of Perkins. Anyway, fewer games = more rest = good news for DC United.

Posted by: G-Dub | August 31, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Given the traditional dearth of internaional-quality GK's coming out of Brazil, perhaps Perkins should look south for citizenship and set himself up as Dida's back-up!

Posted by: MtP | August 31, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm rooting for Quentin Westburg to get some looks in the MNT GK picture a little further down the road. He's not ready for it yet, but I'm hopeful for the future - say 2014

Posted by: spectre | August 31, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Another knock against Troy is that, until recently, he hasn't been a very good distributor of the ball, nor is he very commanding of the backline--both are traits you need to have to get a call up. But hey, the dude was working at Gallions two years ago, so what do you want? He's a great story and still young as far as keepers go.

Posted by: DJC | August 31, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Granted I have only seen him play a couple of times, but I don't understand why everyone is so high on Seitz. In the U-20 games I saw he seemed to be carrying an injury so maybe that is the reason, but he didn't seem to be very much in command of anything.

I think Troy's biggest deficiency is his distribution with his feet. He commands the penalty area quite well and is an adequate shot stopper. But his kicking is usually pretty terrible. He had one game where it was fantastic and I thought maybe he had finally turned the corner on that aspect of his play but he seems to have regressed.

Posted by: Glenn | August 31, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I'd be surprised if Troy didn't get at least a couple of caps over the next few years. The dude has been on fire for most of the past two seasons. I can't argue that he should be ahead of Howard or Hahnemann on the depth chart. But I just don't understand why everyone thinks any MLS keeper should be ahead of him.

I calculated the 2006 and 2007 goals against averages of the keepers that you guys think should be ahead of Troy and the results shouldn't be surprising:
Perkins: 1.10 GA
Reis: 1.15 GA
Guzan: 1.17 GA
Cannon 1.59

Posted by: Shatz | August 31, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

he's ahead of Reis, for sure, but it would take a move to Europe for him to break the mould and get up there. I think Guzan will do that first, maybe off to Spain next year, and one good year there and he elevates into the #2 spot (hahnemann is getting old).

But the thing with keeps is they're never any good as a defensive general until 25 and don't hit their prime until 30, so things can change.

Posted by: DCAustinite | August 31, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

People who quote GAA for soccer players make me laugh. That stat is more indicative of how good the defense is rather than the skill of the goalkeeper. You rely on keepers to make the one great save, not make any errors and be good distributors of the ball.

Perkins makes the big saves, but has made big mistakes (i.e. CONCACAF Cup), and is below average in distributing the ball.

He is very adequate for United but he is not in the top 5 of American keepers.....

Posted by: kevin | August 31, 2007 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Great for Perkins! I thought he started slow, but he's coming into his own. I wonder if Vanney has helped him--perhaps he's more of a leader in the back than we've had since Nelson left?

Posted by: jj | September 1, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Of course GAA is a product of the defense as a whole, not just the keeper. Like Joe Cannon is probably better than his GAA indicates because that LA defense is so porous. But GAA is the stat that counts for a keeper. And its GAA that wins games, not ball distribution. And come to think of it, wasn't it Perkins' ball distribution that set up Fred's goal against Columbus a couple weeks ago?

Posted by: Shatz | September 1, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

To see Troy's name in with the likes of Juan Pabloe, Schelotto is quite an honor. Well done Troy!

Posted by: JMR | September 2, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I really don't understand the distribution criticism Troy gets. I think he's fine with his fine and sends a nice ball down the field.

Unfortunately, DCU may have one of the weakest aerial front 6 in the history of the game. But I don;t hold Troy accountable for the lack of ball winning.

If there's more to it, I'd like to hear from some who have been critical of his distribution.

Posted by: JkR | September 2, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse