Saturday in the Park

I think it was the Fourth of July,
People dancing, people laughing,
A man selling ice cream,
Singing Italian songs

The park is actually the DCU training grounds and Chicago (the band, not the Fire) was nowhere in sight. Neither was the ice cream man.

Reason for concern: Christian Gomez did not practice because of what Tom Soehn described as a Charley Horse (quadriceps bruise). Everyone was saying upbeat things about Gomez's condition and he was scheduled to travel with the team today, but it could become a game-time decision.

United has enough trouble scoring on the road -- imagine no Fred AND no Gomez?

Vanney, Kpene, Namoff and Moreno are also traveling, and my hunch is that both Namoff and Moreno will start.

Other non-game news:

*United officials are expecting England Manager Steve McClaren to be at RFK Stadium on Thursday to monitor Beckham's status.

*DCU will honor the retiring Cobi Jones in a brief pregame ceremony Thursday.

By Steve Goff  |  August 4, 2007; 12:57 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: FC Dallas to Fans: We'll Make It Up to Ya
Next: NCAA, W-League and Nicole Cup

Comments

oof - when is this team going to catch a break?

Posted by: pat | August 4, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

I know you probably don't read the Post editorial page. :-)

There is an editorial about competition for the Poplar Point land at:

Posted by: orange14 | August 4, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

So this means Becks is more likely to play on Thurs. vs. DCU than today vs. TFC?

Even still, I can't see him playing more than 45 minutes on Thursday. Maybe he gets a run-out today in the last 15-20 minutes against TFC and then starts and plays the first half vs. DCU?

Posted by: tmc | August 4, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

"DCU will honor the retiring Cobi Jones in a brief pregame ceremony Thursday."

Why?

Posted by: So Md | August 4, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

That is a pretty good op-ed piece. And it is in line with what I thought when the announcement was first made. I'm frustrated that baseball got whatever the heck they wanted but, that's just the world we live in. It is now incumbent on DCU to prove they have the best deal.
Nothing is easy in city politics, especially in DC.

Posted by: marksman | August 4, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I'll second the "why?" on the Cobi Jones thing. He never played for us.

Frankly Gomez has been missing for lots of the matches this season even when he's out there on the field and Fred hasn't exactly been lighting things up either. The problem is there don't seem to be a while lot of options to replace Gomez. Does Moreno play attacking mid and then Luci and Kpene are the forwards?

Posted by: Glenn | August 4, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Well, if they're going to waste time saluting Sideshow Bob that will give me more time to wash my hands after the tgate and get to my seat. Hey Cobi, don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya!

K

Posted by: SEKim | August 4, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Honoring Cobi is a pure class move by DCU, in my opinion. Regardless of how DCU fans feel about him personally and the Galaxy in general, Cobi was one of the pioneers of this league (signing before the 1996 inaugural season), he has lasted 12 seasons with one team (a rarity in pro sports) and has showed this year that he still has some quality left in the tank (four goals).

Posted by: Goff | August 4, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Cobi Jones, goodbye and good riddance.

asitis

Posted by: asitis | August 4, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Cobi is an MLS original and is on his farewell tour and each team will have a brief ceremony to give him a farewell gift. I just hope DC doesn't give him (or LA) the traditional multiple goal game with a DC loss.

We need Gomez with Fred gone. Speaking of which I hope MLS blasted the ref crew for allowing the situation to get out of hand by not calling the foul to Fred on the freekick that could have turned the game around.

Posted by: JMR | August 4, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

DC fans may not like Jones from an MLS standpoint, but it's hard to argue with what he gave to the USMNT during his career... if anything, stand up and applaud him for that

Posted by: Steveinho | August 4, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Honoring an admirable opponent, which Cobi Jones most certainly is/was, is a respectable gesture by DCU. At least some are still concerned with promoting good sportsmanship.

Posted by: Iohanne | August 4, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

F Cobi the whining diving little prick. Had Cobi ever displayed any class on the field whatsoever, my opinion may be different. If management wants to honor someone that is retiring, my vote goes to Pope when he comes for his visit in September.

Posted by: Henchlow | August 4, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Class move by DC to honor a player who has given so much to the growth of soccer in the US.

Honoring an opponent for years of national team service does not happen in other US sports. We should be glad for the difference.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 4, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

What's with you and ice cream today, Goff?

Posted by: Dave Lifton | August 4, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I bet that Pope will get a grander "thank you / send off" later this year from DCU, as he should. But Cobi has done a lotta good stuff throughout the years, in an MLS original, stuck with one team throughout, and thus is part of MSL history. MLS is wise to salute and recongize such history, given that precious little exists that is construed as positive.

Cheers Cobi.

Posted by: Thanx guys | August 4, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

honor thy enemy right before conflict - not so much.

Posted by: JSF | August 4, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

-------

Yes, he will.

Posted by: Goff | August 4, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I am definintely going to clap my hands for Cobi, as you all should. Pretty disturbing to see so many hateful comments. Cheers Cobi!

Posted by: tlk | August 4, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Cobi Jones merits thanks from all US soccer fans if for no other reason than those brilliant time-wasting minutes he spent on the field during that glorious victory over Mexico in South Korea. Just keep it short and simple, and leave the good stuff for Eddie Pope's last game here.

Agreed that the op-ed was well stated.

Posted by: G-Dub | August 4, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

In regards to the link to the editorial on poplar point, Marion Berry was on the DC Politics Hour on WAMU yesterday. He said he would fight any development proposal at Poplar Point that didn't include a soccer stadium. He felt that was part of the deal for the land all along and it's wrong of the current government to back out on promises, even if they were verbal.

Posted by: TH | August 4, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps we'll see Olsen start as CAM, and Arguez will replace him in the 2nd half. Although I'd also like to see Moreno at CAM with Kpene and Emilio up top.

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 4, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

"Cobi Jones...
Has a very nice hairdo....
But his mother is a wh0r3
and he can't score any GOOOOOOOALS"

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 4, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

WTF are they honoring Cobi Jones for? I plan to boo until I get hoarse. Utterly ridiculous move and I see no point in doing this.

I can see doing this for Eddie Pope but Cobi Jones? Baaaaad move.

Posted by: DCU in Nova | August 4, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Wow the haters are all over this board of late . . . first Freddy, then Goff, now Cobi . .

how can anyone hate Cobi after the 2002 World Cup game v Mexico. He took a boot to the head for the U.S.

Posted by: d | August 4, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I plan to wank off in the restroom before the game to "honor" Cobi.

Posted by: Wanker | August 4, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I don't care that he's been here twelve years in the league. He's a member of the opposing team and I hate all members of the opposition. I even booed him when he made a guest appearance on Beverly Hills 90210 in 1994.

I totally disagree with this move and plan to not be at my seat when this happens.

Posted by: Booooooo Cobi! | August 4, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I loved the hell out of Cobi when he was wearing the Nats jersey, but honoring a retiring player on an opposing team? Maybe if you're Michael Jordan or even Brett Favre, but I don't know about this... unless it's a trick -- they get him out there under the pretense of honoring him and then pants him in front of the whole stadium... hmmm...

Posted by: bbarrie | August 4, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Who cares what he did for the national team? He is appearing as a LA Galaxy player and being honored by DCU for his career as a Galaxy player. Ridiculous. Hopefully the fans will have the good sense to "honor" him properly.

Posted by: So Md | August 4, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

So whats the status of that great guy we traded Erpen for?

At least Beckham on the bench still gets fans in the game I have no idea what Vanney is doing for us. Does he do the teams laundry or help clean RFK after the games?

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 4, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Boo Vanney...Hooray Beer!

Posted by: Guapo | August 4, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

So whats the status of that great guy we traded Erpen for?

---------

Vanney missed several games early in the summer while with Colorado because of a sprained ankle. It never fully healed, but he came back anyway. After the trade and a few appearances, DCU decided to rest him until it improved. He made the trip to Boston this weekend.

Posted by: Goff | August 4, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

It's important to show respect to one of the founding fathers. He was one of 10 guys immortalized by BanDai in both a keychain and action figure back in 1996 for the inaugural season. DC luvs Cobi. Thanks for the memories!

Posted by: Cobii Fan | August 4, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Even odds I'm gonna get thrown out of the stadium during Cobi's thing. Probably better for everyone involved if I don't make it in the stadium on time.

**** Cobi... **** him **** him.... **** him. **** Cobi. (channeling katt williams)

Posted by: Goose | August 4, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

It's really sad to see these hateful comments about one of the guys who has contributed so much to the sport of soccer in this country, both in MLS and with the USMNT. Cobi's been a class player, and DCU is a class outfit for recognizing it. Too bad we have so many fans who apparently have little or no class.

Posted by: Dave | August 4, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Please, Cobi is mediocre at best. He wouldn't make the current National Team even if he were 23. DC United honoring someone like Cobi Jones makes about as much sense as the Detroit Pistons honoring Charles Barkley.

Club > Country

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 4, 2007 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Honoring Cobi is fine with me. He has meant a lot to the USMNT over the years and 12 years in the league is a long time. Just think, if we're fortunate we'll get to see him play the entire 90 minutes Thursday.

Posted by: clubofficial | August 4, 2007 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Cobi flip off some DCU supporters after they beat the woeful Revolution in 2005 MLS Cup? Cobi is class minus the cl.

Posted by: Boooo Cobi | August 4, 2007 6:21 PM | Report abuse

What everyone means by saying why cobi and so so is just common love by a rival team, Great move by united, they know that LA is not honoring cobi and are thinging about beckham first. We all are pissed at COBI but he was a great player in his time with MLS and the US TEAM good job and we hate you more.lol

Posted by: UNITED | August 4, 2007 6:43 PM | Report abuse

I do believe there is more hatred on this board for Cobi Jones than Oswaldo Sanchez or Jared Borgetti.

Sad, really.

Posted by: d | August 4, 2007 6:55 PM | Report abuse

There are a lot of United fans who don't give a crap about the US National Team.

Yo. *raises hand*

Posted by: Goose | August 4, 2007 7:10 PM | Report abuse

All the Cobi haters must be Mexican-Americans... :-)

By the way, that was a Post editorial, not an op-ed syndicated columnist. It was on the editorial page, not opposite the editorial page (op ed).

Posted by: seahawkdad | August 4, 2007 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Great fans are also synonymous with smart fans. When Brazil doesn't do well at home and gets outplayed, the Brazilian fans tend to clap for the opposing side. It's not being a turncoat. It's recognizing the beautiful game. I say we humbly applaud at the presentation before the game, but during the game every time he touches the ball, we boo. That would truly honor Cobi as a hard-working soccer player who was somewhat of soccer's pop culture figure since the 94 world cup.

Posted by: Gustavo | August 4, 2007 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Wait, we are honoring Cobi at the game? Are Alvin, Simon, and Theodore showing up too?

Posted by: Dave | August 4, 2007 8:50 PM | Report abuse

No surprise but Beckham has ruled out at least starting in the game against DC United:

"Beckham said Saturday he's seven to 10 days away from starting a game because of a left ankle injury and probably won't be available off the bench Sunday when his Los Angeles Galaxy play Toronto FC."

Posted by: 12th man | August 4, 2007 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Beckham and Vanney can compare ankles.

DC is going to have to make this New England match an ugly affair to have a chance. Score quick or die trying and then turn it into a yawner I know the happy folks would hate to see negative play a la Andorra vs England.

Posted by: morphit | August 5, 2007 12:35 AM | Report abuse

here are Cobi Jones's stats while playing for the US team: 164 games, 15 goals. He was playing forward for most of those games and that translates into the blistering pace of one goal per 10 games...... Adios Cobi

Posted by: diego r. | August 5, 2007 1:25 AM | Report abuse

When I first read the comment "Why?" I was a little confused. I too couldn't understand why they would honor him before that game. Then I reread the Goff post and saw that I had somehow misread Cobi Jones and assumed Eddie Pope. Cobi Jones has always been my least favorite NT player. Often, he was a dirty player and from several personal experiences I can say he didn't respect the fans. It's hard for me to like him even if he has done a lot. On Thursday, he will be just another Galaxy player I don't like. Instead of booing or cursing at him, I intend to be silent. I don't have much respect for him, but I will respect those who do want to honor him.

Posted by: sitruc | August 5, 2007 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Yet another instance when I'm really happy the club makes its own decisions and doesn't consult the fans.

Boo Cobi between the whistles. I'm glad the club knows that life exists outside of RFK and chooses to acknowledge that.

Posted by: Laughing | August 5, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

"here are Cobi Jones's stats while playing for the US team: 164 games..."

164 games. 'Nuff said.

OK, there's more to say. Remember, he started playing in the era when we sent college players to the World Cup. After that, there were no decent opportunities to play pro soccer in the US and those going to Europe were destined to ride pine in a lower division. So our 94 team (Cobi's first WC) wasn't much better in terms of experience. The national team coaches of that time were also defensive minded. In that environment NOBODY was going to score many goals.

The stat that brings Cobi's goals into perspective is that the top US scorer of the era had a paltry 34 goals.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 5, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

As much as I hated watching Cobi play in MLS, thats how much I liked him on the Nats. He is the best I've ever seen on the Mens team at dribbling to the corner and killing off time at the end of the game. He always did the little things, putting the team before himself. Thats one big reason he had 164 caps.

Posted by: Rick in Ashburn | August 5, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I don't see why DC United should care what a non-DC United player did in his international career. Cobi's international exploits have no relevance to United, and his MLS achievements definitely have no relevance to United. So we are left to scratch our heads and wonder why United is arbitrarily honoring a retiring player on an opposing team.

Posted by: So Md | August 5, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Any time a good athlete decides to stick with soccer in the US and makes a career out of it, he ought to be applauded. It's not like you do it for the money, right? Even today, a US soccer "star" earns what a journeyman in any other major sport can make.

Hats off to Cobi. And then send em packing.

Posted by: morphit | August 5, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

DC honoring Cobi is about the equivalent of the Redskins honoring Michael Irvin (assuming he had the chance to have a retirement tour instead of a near paralyzing injury on the Vet's field). It doesn't make any sense.

Yes, Cobi has done a hell of a lot for for MLS and the USMNT, but he's hardly a beloved figure throughout the league and most DC fans love in equal measure the fact that he got brained in the process of getting Marquez sent off. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

Posted by: Publius | August 5, 2007 11:21 PM | Report abuse

I know a lot of people agree that Cobi Jones should be honored for his commitment to MLS and the USMNT. Is there a better place and time for a ceremony? Probably yes. Would Manchester City give Ronaldo a retirement ceremony pre-match, probably not. Would the Cleveland Cavaliers have given Jordan a pre-game ceremony to honor his commitment to the NBA, probably not considering. Cobi should be honored, but at the end of the season, not in front of the RFK faithful. The fact boils down to Cobi never played for DC, and in the run of things at the club level probably did more damage than good to DC. As far as the USMNT, he was a great contributor, and definitely a pioneer of MLS. But this is not a USMNT game nor is this in a stadium that could be considered friendly confines. They should look at this objectivly, from the standpoint of the fan, who wants to cheer for a player on the opposing team prior to the match, especially one who has never quite been 'friendly' with DC, the organization, or the players. To clap or not to clap should not be the question, I will clap for him but not as enthusiastically as I would had this been done in the proper venue in the proper way. I will understand those who won't clap, and I will even understand the boo's. Everyone has to have an open mind to how other people feel about this. And it does merit boo's and claps alike.

Posted by: Kevin | August 6, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse