Sesay to L.A.

The Galaxy has won the weighted lottery for the rights to Israel Sesay, a 16-year-old forward from Sierra Leone who has lived in the D.C. area for several years and attended the U.S. residency program at Bradenton. Los Angeles had the second-best chance of winning the lottery, behind Real Salt Lake.

Now if only Sesay can play defense for the abysmal Galaxy.....

By Steve Goff  |  August 24, 2007; 3:56 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Emilio, Olsen Out
Next: Beckham Down, Bravo Up

Comments

Shocker...

Posted by: DjB | August 24, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I fully expect Frank Yallop to stick Sesay up top immediately. Frank has exhausted all of his options. Ohhh wooooo is me and my LA Galaxy!

Posted by: shirteesdotnet | August 24, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Goff any news on this?

Apparently, MLS Rumors (yes, I know...grain of salt) has said:

MLSR has learned through a trusted source that Frank Yallop, coach of the LA Galaxy was asked to turn in his resignation after Sunday's game vs Colorado. "Yallop seemed almost relieved when he received the news. He has been under a great deal of stress and it looked as if the weight of the world had lifted off his shoulders." If this is true then Yallop will be gone before the Galaxy's next home game which is likely to be Beckham's next match vs Real Salt Lake on September 1.

Posted by: P | August 24, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Im not sticking up for MLSR, but they did get the Denilson rumour correct.

Although, Im still waiting for the Veron to DC, Capello to LAG, Ronaldo to Chivas USA, and Riquelme to DC rumours to come true (amongst a few others).

Posted by: shirteesdotnet | August 24, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

If I hear anything about Yallop, I will share it. I promise. Until then, please refrain from posting rumors from a site with no known author.

Posted by: Goff | August 24, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Deal. :)

Posted by: P | August 24, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

For all the talk of him not being likely to see time outside of the reserves, I think he landed in the best place to make an argument for playing time. He can't be any worse than what they have, can he?

-dave

Posted by: gnat | August 24, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

That Denilson rumor had been around for weeks...

Posted by: RK | August 24, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

mlsrumors like any good(bad?) psychic/salesman/con-artist/fox news anchor throws so much mud at the wall, when some of it sticks there is an air of legitimacy that is undeserved.

Posted by: dashiel | August 24, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

At least he wont rot in Ohio...

Posted by: Jon G | August 24, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I think us Earthquake fans would gladly take Frank back next year. Although, I'm not so sure I'd want Landon...

The Galaxy is a train wreck.

Posted by: Frank knows the way to San Jose | August 24, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

NY lost the lottery? Say it ain't so, Joe (I mean Steve)!?

So, will Beckham play/manage the rest of the season? I predict he does and sits his ass on the bench. : )

Posted by: Hoost | August 24, 2007 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Just once I'd like to see a supplemental draft where the player goes to a team where everyone says "wow, didn't think he'd go there!"

Posted by: -K | August 24, 2007 9:01 PM | Report abuse

The Galaxy remind me a lot of the Washington NFL franchise of the past few years. Overpay a bunch of aging vets who underperform (not Beckham so far, but Pavon, Klein, et al). Does Dan Snyder secretly own 15% of the Galaxy or something?

Posted by: New England Guy | August 24, 2007 9:18 PM | Report abuse

re: Does Dan Snyder secretly own 15% of the Galaxy or something?

There is a scientology connection between the two!!!

Yay cultists!

Posted by: mighty! | August 24, 2007 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Well, given the U-17 results from Korea and the fact that Sesay couldn't even crack their roster, I'm not holding my breath he'll make an impact anytime soon... Then again, I'm not sure the Gals would have fared any better in Korea had they been entered ;-)

Posted by: Throwin | August 25, 2007 4:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: -K | August 24, 2007 09:01 PM

You won't because my fellow DC fans will make up an excuse for why the lotteries are rigged regardless of who wins.

"Kansas City? He has a sister named Dorothy. MLS fixed it!"

Posted by: Laughing | August 25, 2007 7:51 AM | Report abuse

The issue with Sesay isn't playing time, it's a proper environment with good teaching for him to develop in. Anyone remember Memo Gonzalez? Star A-mid of the U17 team who was drafted by the LAG?

Yallop has never shown a real interest or propensity to develop teens (Donovan is the closest to a "starlet" he's taken on and grown) and Frank isn't likely to be there much longer anyway. Maybe they'll get a coach who'll be great at developing youth. But frankly, I'm thinking that LAG's desire to partipate in this lottery is driven by 2 factors:
--they know they are short talent so they'd jump at anything that might give them a chance at some talent, including talent unseen (does anyone really thing Yallop and Lalas have spent time scouting this kid? Didn't think so)
--Lalas is thinking that maybe he can trade this kid to another team for something that can help the LAG now (or maybe a draft choice in the 2008 draft--say, a #2 pick).

And if either of those two assumptions are true, than Sesay going to LAG is sad.

Posted by: JoeW | August 25, 2007 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Sesay had citizenship issues that kept him off of the USA U-17 team, not a lack of talent.

Posted by: jgildea8 | August 25, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

DC fans lamenting 'potentially' rigged lotteries is as rich as a double butter cream cake frosting.

Posted by: papa bear | August 27, 2007 8:15 PM | Report abuse