Slow Turning

Why, yes, the John Hiatt show at Wolf Trap last night was exceptional. Nice of you to ask. Some serious strummin'.

Which brings me to this random question: Live music or live soccer? (Pick one)

Along those lines, give me your best concert and best match in person.

I'll go with Eric Clapton/Mark Knopfler together at Capital Centre and how about Italy-Germany World Cup semifinal last summer. (I have witnessed many great matches over the years, from the college ranks and MLS, to Olympic matches and World Cup qualifiers, but for our purposes, I'll stay as current as possible.)

While you ponder that, try to figure this one out: Colorado 3, New England 0. The Revs were outshot 17-5 and are now winless in their last six trips to Denver. They remain six points ahead of United and the Red Bulls, but have played three more games than D.C. and two more than New York. This Eastern Conference race just might tighten the next few weeks. COL-NE match highlights here.

Also, this video has been circulating on the Web for a few days, but I neglected to post it promptly. My bad. It's Freddy stepping onto Benfica's pitch for the first time. The clip is grainy, shaky and recorded from a distance away, but with help from the audio, it captures the moment.

By Steve Goff  |  August 17, 2007; 12:57 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: SuperLiga Aftermath
Next: Quick United Update

Comments

Dolly Parton at the 9:30 club (seriously she rocked the place) or maybe the whole Tibetian freedom festival at RFK.

Italy vs Spain WC '94 Quarterfinal in Foxboro.

Posted by: Rocko | August 17, 2007 1:33 AM | Report abuse

I'll bite. Oakland Coliseum 1986 or 87 and my first concert. Bodeans open, Pretenders second, U2 on the Joshua Tree tour last. Many since, but none better.

Best live game is much tougher. Nigeria vs Brazil in Athens for the Atlanta Olympics has to be the winner though.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 17, 2007 1:36 AM | Report abuse

Goff, I noticed that NYTimes Goal Blog just got Altidore to post regularly on there and give his point of view. How about starting this over here? Yes Freddy has his own blog, but he could still post in a national world renown Newspaper, right? or maybe get someone from United like Fred. i would certainly like to hear his toughts on adjusting in the league as compared to Brazilian league or the Australian league.

just a thought.

Posted by: justsayin' | August 17, 2007 1:49 AM | Report abuse

concert: U2 Joshua Tree tour at RFK Stadium, 1987
match: Boca Juniors 2, River Plate 1, La Bombonera, 2005

Posted by: pichichi | August 17, 2007 2:17 AM | Report abuse

Best match? Much harder. USA beating Jamaica in Foxboro late in 2001 (mostly due to the other results allowing the win to qualify us, Sam's Army going wild afterwards, nearly catching Stewart's jersey after he threw it into the stands during the celebration)? USA beating Mexico thanks to Wolff, Mathis, and the cold in Columbus? MLS Cup '97 in the rain? Many, many more contenders come to mind, some due to quality of play (WC94, Italy-Mexico, for example) while others pop up due to emotion (seeing my first DC win in the Swamp on my 3rd attempt, with Freddy getting the winner thanks to a massive deflection).

I guess the winner, based on both, would be the 2004 Eastern Conference final. The level of play was about as good as MLS gets, and the game couldn't have been more dramatic. Plus, you know, DC won.

Best concert is easy: KRS-One at the 9:30 Club in 2001, followed by the Roots at Georgetown, also in 2001 (I think). I have a terrible habit of missing shows I desperately want to see.

Which of the two would I prefer? There are about 20-25 games that were more exhilarating than the KRS show, and he is brilliant. There is nothing like live, intense, well-played soccer.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 17, 2007 2:34 AM | Report abuse

Best concert - easily U2 at Saratoga Raceway (the harness track, not the legendary horse races of summer) back in 1990/91. The show was absolutely awesome, I was with some of the best friends I've ever had and the woman who became my wife - good times.

Best match.....had to be the DC/NE conference final there at RFK in 04. Very tense, very exciting and the good guys won, of course. That was with my son in the section just North of SE sections. What a great time.
A close second would be DC/Chelsea. I brought about 30 people from work, select soccer team, friends, dad, sister, son, etc. The game was good but the tailgate,the seats we had and the people I was with made it most enjoyable. Seeing Duff's great strike right in front of us was pretty nice.

Posted by: marksman | August 17, 2007 5:01 AM | Report abuse

Best Match - USA vs Italy, 2006 WC. I was proud to be an American that day. US crowd and players represented.
Best Concert - George Clinton and Parliament at the UMD ART Attack Festival in 1997. Any Live (the band) performance is a close second.
Football over music any day.

Posted by: London Dan | August 17, 2007 5:21 AM | Report abuse

Best Concert: Soundgarden opening for Guns & Roses, 1989. I've seen U2 several times and they're great (hell, they're one of my favorites)....BUT

Say what you want to about Mr. Rose's petulant behavior - they put on a great show.

Still doesn't top a good soccer game.

I was at MLS Cup '96, in the old Foxboro. Drove up with a buddy from DC, leaving at 9pm, drove all night through The Perfect Storm, listening to Orff's Carmina Burana when I-95 was closed north of New York because of the rain and we had to take some tiny two lane through Conn. When we got to Foxborough we were told by hotels that the storm had canceled all flights so there was no room anywhere for us to sleep (we were 20 and didn't think to book in advance). We parked on the side of the road near the stadium and blasted the heat for ten minutes in the hopes of warding off Boston's October highs of 20 degrees long enough to catch a bit of sleep in the car. Woke up three hours before kickoff and grabbed a quick bite before throwing our jerseys over top of white New England Patriots rain slickers. Sat with a bunch of Bolivians and chanted "Uno Mas!....Uno Mas! after Sanneh's goal. Honked horns and shared rest stops with crowded vans of El Salvadoreans on the way back, still waterlogged but glowing with the absolute certainty that I had just witnessed history. For import that tops my USNats and Olympic games.

It sure was fun storming the field after the third game of the MetroStars playoff series on the way to that first Cup though. I sat in the second row and watched security line up around the field as the game was drawing to its close. One huge latino guy jumps the fence and all of the security rushes him. It seemed like we all simultaneously realized security had a gaping hole in their coverage as a result. I saw my roommate get tackled to the ground by one guard, glasses cutting into his face to draw blood before an officer shouted to the guard "Let them go! There's too many!" About 2 or 3 thousand of us made it out onto the field, jumping like idiots in the center and banging drums. Grabbed a chunk of turf and ran across to the other side to find my friends. All for a team not even a year old....

Thanks for the question Goff. I'll be thinking about it on the drive up to Columbus! Thanks for all the hard work too!

Posted by: spectre | August 17, 2007 6:28 AM | Report abuse

US/Italy WC06

Dave Matthews Band at RFK in 2002

Live soccer over live music every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Conor Casey looked good last night.

Posted by: Andrew | August 17, 2007 6:47 AM | Report abuse

Concerts:
the recent U2 concert at MCI,
Patty Griffin at the Birchmere,
Earth Wind and Fire '77 Oakland (1st concert)

Matches:
'97 MLS Cup RFK
Maryland vs Indiana 2005
Santos vs Baltimore Bays '74? (1st time)

Posted by: 'Ol Shin Guard | August 17, 2007 6:49 AM | Report abuse

These are both tough questions

Match:

Even though it was a loss, the WCQ in 2001 (10 days before 9.11) USA 2:3 Honduras. World class atmosphere.

Concert:

This is harder for me, but probably the triple bill of Red Hot Chili Peppers (Blood Sugar Sex Magik), Smashing Pumpkins (Gish), and Pearl Jam (10). Austin Coliseum 12/10/91

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | August 17, 2007 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Spectre, have to say I'm jealous: that pairing (SG and GnR in 1989) went down as one of the more influential ones in 90s music history -- wish I could have seen it!

Posted by: iammrben | August 17, 2007 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Tough call, Goff, but I will pick a football Game...Nothing can beat that.
Best Concerts live:
- Carlos Santana, 2001, MCI Center.
- The Police Reunion tour, July 2007, Dolphin stadium, Miami.
- Black Eye Peas, Adidas Arena, July 2006, Berlin, Germany.

Best football games live:
- Argentina - England, WC 1998, St Etienne, France. Unbelivable game!
- France- Brazil, WC 2006, Frankfurt, Germany. the Zidane show!
- Argentina- Mexico, Dresden, Germany, WC 2006. What a goal by Maxi!
- Nigeria- Brazil, 1996, Olympics, Georgia. Nigeria's greatest generation.
Actually, the DCU-Rapids MLS final at RFK was a good one too. 55,000 people rocking RFK under a drenching rain!

Posted by: Charles | August 17, 2007 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Best Concert: The Roots at DAR Constitution Hall They covered Dylan and Hendrix with a Tuba (yes it was amazing)
...or any Femi Kuti concert I have ever seen

Best Game: Sticking with Nigeria and LeesburgSoccerFan it was Nigeria vs. Brazil in Athens, GA for the Olympics. My ears are still ringing.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 17, 2007 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Live Concert:

Catherine Wheel, 1995, old 9:30 Club

Live Match (this one is EASY!):

USA 2 Mexico 0, Columbus, OH, World Cup qualifying 2005

Posted by: Hoost | August 17, 2007 8:15 AM | Report abuse

London Dan...think we've run in similar circles. Was at both USA/Italy '06 (absolutely incredible) and The P Funk show on The Mall at UMD...other front runners: Pink Floyd, Stones, countless WHFS'tivals all at RFK, and shout out to the hometown boys O.A.R....playing tonight at Merriweather. Their first time headlining a soldout MSG (on my birthday) with Matisyahu supporting - def a night to remember!

Posted by: SlickRick | August 17, 2007 8:21 AM | Report abuse

it's close on both accounts.

concert is maybe pearl jam fan club concert in Philly 2006.

game is... mls cup 1997-- nothing beats winning the big daddy at home-- again. honorable mentions to ECF 2004, and 96 Metros pitch invastion, and 1 or 2 of the various WCQ's at RFK mentioned above. Oh, and the friendly vs. Forest a couple years ago.

Posted by: noble | August 17, 2007 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Best Concert: Neil Young and Crazy Horse, 1998, Starlake Amphitheater followed closely by this year's Wilco show at Merriweather Post.

Best Live Soccer: WC Qualifier, U.S. V. Mexico 2005, Columbus, Ohio to clinch first place in Concacaf. Second Best: Same qualifying year U.S. v. Panama in RFK, Eddie Johnson comes on to score a hat trick and everyone says, "Who is Eddie Johnson?" Unfortunately, we're still asking that question...

Posted by: DJC | August 17, 2007 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Concert: Phish the Millenium Show at Big Cypress Indian Reservation (they played a non-stop 8 hour set from midnight to 8:00 in the morning)or DJ Tiesto live at the Gelrodome for his In Concert series
Game: AC Milan - Liverpool 2004 Champions League Final

What do both have in common, they were both brillant shows!!!

Posted by: DC United Fan | August 17, 2007 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Tower Theater, Dec. 31, 1975.

Little Feat (with Lowell), opened by Bonnie Raitt. Hamilton, NY, Fall 1978.

John Hiatt, SF, 1987. Don't know that I ever knew the name of the little place where he played. "Now do I really have to be responsible, For what I did between those tavern walls."

Dead, RFK, 7/12/90.

Best matches in person:

1. The last one my kids played.

2. WWC doubleheader at RFK 2003. Germany 7; Argentina 1; France 1: Brazil 1. Pichon v. Katia.

Posted by: WNT fan | August 17, 2007 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Concert ratings from last night, scale of 1-10:

Shawn Colvin: 11

John Hiatt: 9.5 with a 2 point deduction for not bringing his backup band, or the North Mississippi Allstars; 7.5 net.

Best Shows ever: John Hiatt and the NMS at Wolf Trap in 2005; The Who 1982 "Farewell" (Ha!) Tour in Pittsburgh's Civic Arena.

Posted by: JkR | August 17, 2007 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Simple answer: soccer, cause there's music, the atmosphere, plus sport.

Match:
- MLS Cup 1997...RFK record crowd in 45 degree rain (while Skins played at FedEx and Marines ran around town, by the way)...Gildea column describes the atmosphere as surreal, akin to the great soccer stadia of the world. No MLS match has come close since, including the recent Barnum & Beckham show. Entire stadium was singing...just unbelievable sound.

Concert:
- U2 at Red Rocks, 1983. Thought U2 was a christian rock band at the time (youthful ignorance). Was bullied into it, thank god. Well, that concert really did something to me. I can still hear the crowd singing at the end of 40 like it was just minutes ago.

Posted by: Sundial | August 17, 2007 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Goff, any truth to this rumor:

A source in Chicagoland that Chicago Fire striker Thiago has been released and is likely part of a trade with DC United. What Chicago Fire would get from DC at this point is unclear. Even more unclear is why DC would want to make such a trade for a striker when they have a pretty deep roster at that position. Should such a trade happen, Thiago would be joining two of his countrymen. DC United already has two players from Brazil, league leading goal scorer Emilio and Fred. Perhaps it is a case of "3 is a charm"?

Posted by: DC United Fan | August 17, 2007 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Best live match: Eastern Conference Finals in 2004 DC vs NE.

Best concert: Great Big Sea at the 9:30 club.

Posted by: Chris | August 17, 2007 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Best Match (non U.S.) - Rangers 2-0 Aberdeen @ Ibrox, 2005-ish. Best atmosphere I've ever been in, bar none. Even though it wasn't an Old Firm match it's VERY intimidating to be surrounded by 60,000+ singing the same chants at a teeny tiny section of away fans, who represented themselves very well. Close second has to be my first English match, Norwich @ Aston Villa in 1992, sitting in the old Trinity Road stand.

Best US match has to be Sweden v. Romania in the '94 World Cup Quarters at Stanford Stadium, getting drunk behind one of the goals with some happy Swedes - good times. Much as I hate to say it, any time RFK fills up and DCU wins, it's a good time too...thanks, Beckham!

Best Concert - has to be one of the first Lollapaloozas back in the mid-90's...I remember hearing Rage Against the Machine for the first time and being absoloutely blown away. The next year would have topped it, but asking the Smashing Pumpkins to fill in for Nirvana AND follow an awesome Beastie Boys set was too much for them - not good times.

All in all, I'll take football any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

Posted by: Big C | August 17, 2007 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Live music or soccer? That's tough. I think that I've seen more terrible soccer matches live music performances. But then you've got the US/Italy World Cup match (and although I left that stadium livid) it's hard to top that excitement.

Best live music. I've got no idea on that one. I've seen some great shows in recent years at the 9:30 club that have been really great.

2003 - Ryan Adams (solo)
2005 - Spoon
2005 - The Arcade Fire

But Pearl Jam 1998 in Camden NJ was also really good.

Posted by: TCompton | August 17, 2007 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Best concert: Early 70's (71? 72?) discovering Emmylou Harris at the Prism coffee house on Rugby Road in C'ville. She'd been living/performing in the DC area and came down to C'ville for Fri./Sat. shows Intimate setting, two man backup and that beautiful voice and those long legs...

Best match(es):
UVa-Indiana final 1974. Claudio had gone to Bayer Levercusen and Virginia was not supposed to do well that year. Mike Fisher was suspended for the final. Indiana had destroyed UCLA in the semis and was highly favored. In one of Bruce's best coaching jobs UVa pulls it out 1-0 for our 4th straight championship: AJ Wood's goal, Billy Walsh's reflex goal line clearence.

MLS Cup 1999: my first road trip with the Screaming Eagles. Hartman's flub, Benny's goal and the good guys win.

FA Cup semis 2006 Old Trafford, Chelsea v Liverpool. Longtime Liverpool fan, I had to sit in the Chelsea section my first time seeing Liverpool play live. Thousands of voices singing You'll Never Walk Alone still gives me chills.

asitis

Posted by: asitis | August 17, 2007 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Music: Phish, The Clifford Ball, Plattsburgh, NY, August 16-17, 1996. Great show, good times.

Match: Tough call but I'll go with USA-Italy at last year's World Cup. Best non-soccer part of the match was warm-ups. When the U.S. came out they played "Born in the U.S.A." and the whole US section (which was large in Kaiserslautern) sang along. Just a proud moment. Then Italy came out and they played "Volare", and the Italian fans went nuts. Just a very cool few minutes.

Posted by: New England Guy | August 17, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, that UVa-Indiana match was 1994, not '74.

asitis

Posted by: asitis | August 17, 2007 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I'll have to buck the trend on this one and go with music over futbol. I hope that doesn't get me banned from SI for life, LOL!

Best match ever, I'd have to say the friendly between Barcelona and AC Milan at RFK back in 2000 or so. My introduction to European futbol. Staggering, no other word for it.

Best show? Geez, how do you pick? Monsters of Rock in '88? Maiden in '89 on the Seventh Son tour? Whitesnake in '90 with both Vai and Coverdale strutting their stuff? Satriani at the 9:30 in 2000? Yngvei in 2003 at the Thunderdome? BB King last week at Pier 6? All brilliant. But I'd probably have to go with my son's first concert, OzFest in 2004. The look on his face when Sabbath took the stage told me that was a moment that would live in his memory for the rest of his life. I know it will in mine too.

Posted by: Matt | August 17, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Best live match: Brazil 3, Germany 3, RFK Stadium 1993. Brazil goes up 3-0 by halftime, Germany ties it in injury time. Awesome.

Best concert: 1) Joe Jackson, Hammerjacks, late 90s; 2)one of several Rush concerts; 3)Commodores, Cap Centre, 1978.
"Ooooohhhhhh, oooooooohhhh sweet looooove..."

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 17, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

WNT fan, I gotta give props to the love you give your kids. Nothing quite like watching your progeny do you proud on the pitch. I remember the screamer my son scored, upper 90, past a splayed keeper, just before he got crushed by two defenders. And the rip my daughter drilled one touch, near post, off a drop pass from the endline, keeper didn't even move. Many more goals and games, but those are my favorites.

Posted by: Matt | August 17, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I was at John Hiatt last night, too. Love that guy!

Best Futbol Match: Well, maybe not the best match but a great atmosphere, historical and entertaining. Cosmos vs. Strikers, Giants Stadium, 1977 NASL Playoffs, Cosmos finished 2nd the the Strikers but beat them 8-3(!) before a then record North American crowd of 77,000+. Unreal memory for a 12 year-old kid.

Best Concert: Springsteen, Cap Center 1984. beginning of the Born In The USA tour. Bruce was on his way from a star to a superstar!

Can't pick live music vs. live soccer, though. That's like asking if would you rather have air or water. Can't live without either!

Posted by: KR in DC | August 17, 2007 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Did you see the pass on Col's 3rd goal? Let's trade Fred for that guy.

And I liked the U.S.'s beat down of Panama at RFK a few years back.

Posted by: rc | August 17, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

The game question is hard. I guess I will go with that 2004 Conference Final too just for the drama of it all and as much as I hate PK tie-breakers that one was pretty riveting.

The concert one is hard too, as many have been special for different reasons. But I guess for number one I will say seeing Thailand's greatest rock band ModernDog at the Knitting Factory in NYC last summer. It was about 100 degrees inside and it was basically me and a packed house of Thai college kids who sang along every word to every song. It was really quite a memorable experience.

For number two I will say REM at the Hummingbird Centre in Toronto on the last tour in 2004. It was a week after the election and I wondered what mood they would be in, but they totally rocked.

Posted by: Glenn | August 17, 2007 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Goff,
Glad you enjoyed John Hiatt. Wolf Trap's a great venue. My best live concert: HEM and Ollabelle at State Theater (Falls Church) last December. Best live match: US-Italy in '06 WC. Some ugly soccer, but man, what a riveting match and what an electrifying atmosphere. Unforgettable.

Dan Boleo

Posted by: dan boleo | August 17, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Best Concert -- Fugazi 1994 at some church downtown.

Best Soccer -- Unfortunately I've only ever been to United games.

Posted by: DC | August 17, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

hey hey.
I have heard rumors of Chicago's Thiago coming to DC United. Sorry to change the subject, but Goff- any concrete evidence of that?

Posted by: soccernews | August 17, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Live soccer barely edges live music, but only just. Best match live... man that's a tough one, so many great ones.

But for me, the Olympic game between USA and Portugal in 96 stands out if only because it was at that point one of the largest crowds ever to see an event at RFK. Including the Pope! To see USA soccer start to get followed by big crowds was something that was really emotional for those of us who had played and loved the game for so long.

Best concert, another tough one, but... Carleton College (Northfield, MN) Cafeteria 1989, Soul Asylum (they were amazing live, before they sold out and sucked).

Posted by: Todd | August 17, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Music:
Billy Idol at 930 Club: half acoustic/half electric.

Soccer:
U-11, 1979 Reston YC v Braddock Road YC in Miami, Florida at the Orange Bowl Tournament. Back and forth battle with a late equalizer, double overtime, golden goal winner! Sweet stuff. Even the refs applauded us!

Posted by: d | August 17, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Best show: Gorilla Biscuits and BOLD, July '89 at Safari Club in DC

Best match: Ghana 3 - Italy 2, '96 Olympics at RFK

Posted by: grumpy | August 17, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

IT's hard to pick, live soccer or music. They are my two favorite things. For music, I will go with the Pogues, 930 Club, 2006. For soccer, the US women vs. Brazil, Olympics, 2004.

Posted by: DC Girl | August 17, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Sitting backstage for Elvis Costello and the Attractions (2nd to last show) at the Backyard in Bee Caves, Tx.

DC 3 - 3 NE (DC Pk win) EC finals 2004

Posted by: DCAustinite | August 17, 2007 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Best Concert: Patti Smith Group w/ (the) Razz opening, Warner Theatre '79. The Dead at RFK in '90 was close, as was my first show, the Allman Brothers Band in Hershey, PA '75

Best Game: 2004 DCU-Revs Eastern Finals. No contest.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Best recent concert: The Stooges, 9:30 Club, April '07.

Best soccer game: United vs. Revs, 2004 Eastern Conference Final.

Hoost - nice Catherine Wheel reference. An excellent, very underrated band.

Posted by: SSMD | August 17, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Concerts:
the recent U2 concert at MCI,
Springsteen Fedex field

Matches:
DC United v Revs - MLS semi's 2004
Manu v Chelsea - Champions League 2007

Posted by: bobf | August 17, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

MUSIC

Best Concert: Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band at the Paramount Theater (max capacity of 3,000 or so), Portland Oregon, circa 77/78.

Runnerups: John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, Rainbow Theater, London, 1973 and Jimmy Buffett/Jerry Jeff Walker doublebill, Lane County Fairgrounds, Eugene, Oregon, circa 77/78.

FUTBOL

Best game: D.C. United over N.E. Revolution in the MLS Eastern Conference Finals, 2004.

Runnerups: Arsenal vs. Derby County and Arsenal vs. Leceister City, Highbury Stadium, London, 1973 (my first pro games!)

Posted by: Steve in MoCoLand | August 17, 2007 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I guess I have to go with soccer over music, but tough call. As for the bests of each, there's no way I can pick only one from among all the choices. For soccer, finalists are WCQ 2001, USA over Mexico 2-0 in Columbus; MLS Cups 1999 and 2004; WCQ 2005, Mexico over USA in Mexico City; and NE-DC Conference Final in 2004. For music, I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but I'll go with the Old 97s 2001 show at the 9:30 Club (runner up is Richard Thompson ~1997 at the Birchmere).

Posted by: argo0 | August 17, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

best concerts:
-Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden the night the Mets clinched the Pennant (September 1986), opened with New York State of Mind in Orange and Blue lights.
-Peter Gabriel at then MCI Center on the "Us" tour.
-The Police, Meadowlands with the Fratelli's opening, July 2007.

Best game:
USA v. Bolivia (friendly) - where we discovered Jaime Moreno's blistering speed.
USA v. Portugal ('96 Olympics) - a tie, but a packed house.

Posted by: gallegoscot | August 17, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Although I mentioned in a previous post that I would take a football/ soccer game over a live concert...There is one exception: I would give World Cup finals tickets to see Bob Marley live!! :-)

Talking about venues, Wolf Trap and 9.30 Club are among the best for live music. Being in " exile" in Miami..I really miss these places, not to mention RFK and DCU :-(

Posted by: Charles | August 17, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

my first concert was also U2 at RFK on the Joshua Tree tour, but best concert I'd have to go with Bad Brains at WUST Radio Hall.

best match attended: US v Italy, 2006 WC

Posted by: pat | August 17, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Great show last night. John Hiatt is one of my musical heroes.

Best game....Bolivia 2 Brazil 0 in La Paz for a 94 WC qualifier. I thought the stadium was going to cave in.

Best show....The Who 1975 Oakland,CA

Posted by: Chico | August 17, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Saw someone mention MLS Cup 1997. Great crowd, but a friend got me into a box seat for that. Just not the same as being out in the stands (that's why it didn't make my list). First/last time I'll ever be at a soccer game in a box seat. Blech. At a baseball game it would probably be fine since the crowd is much more staid.

Posted by: gallegoscot | August 17, 2007 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Best concert: tie between Maynard Ferguson at Wolftrap in 1976 I believe it was and the first time I ever heard a live performance of the Overture to Handel's Messiah (1971).

Best soccer: tough one, here's my short list...
--United vs. Revs in the Eastern Conference Finals in 2004
--Turkey vs. Latvia in the second match of the European Championships in Nov. 2003 at Besiktas Stadium in Istanbul (those Turkish fans are amazing).
--any match with Johan Cruyff in it.

Posted by: JoeW | August 17, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I saw Pele play back in the day in RFK at a Cosmos v. Diplomats game, but was really too young to remember most of it. Most memorable game for me was the 2003 FC Barcelona - AC Milan match. Both goals were scored on our side of the field; Ronaldhino, Shevchenko, Roberto Carlos, Puyol, Pippo, Maldini.. the list goes on; some great soccer with a great atmosphere.

I see more shows live than soccer, so this is easier.

Death Cab for Cutie @ Bonnaroo 2006
The White Stripes @ Bonnaroo 2007
Beck @ Bonnaroo 2006
My Morning Jacket @ 930 Club

Posted by: J-Mart | August 17, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Best match for me was the 99 Cup. It is still the only game i've traveled for which is why it stands out. Harbor View is a close second for confirming that I am far from the only insane person running around :)

Best concert was the HFS Festival at RFK with Beck and Prodigy. 90% of the people there didn't know what to make of Beck when he came out and they left. That just made the crowd a perfect size when Prodigy came out :) Danzig at the old Hammer Jacks is pretty high up there too.

Posted by: gnat | August 17, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Bruce & ESB May 1981, Birmingham NEC

Leeds vs Bayern Munich, 1975 European Cup Final

Posted by: 41shots | August 17, 2007 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Soccer over concert anyday....

Best concerts:
Talib Kweli, GangStar, and Common @ 9:30
The Who
Best matches:
USA vs. Portugal in 2002 World Cup
DCU vs. New England in 2004 Eastern Conference final

Oh, and to DC ("Best Soccer -- Unfortunately I've only ever been to United games."): That's not a bad thing....

Posted by: DWE4 | August 17, 2007 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

Any truth to this MLS Rumor about Thiago to DCU?

MLSR has learned from a source in Chicagoland that Chicago Fire striker Thiago has been released and is likely part of a trade with DC United. What Chicago Fire would get from DC at this point is unclear. Even more unclear is why DC would want to make such a trade for a striker when they have a pretty deep roster at that position. Should such a trade happen, Thiago would be joining two of his countrymen. DC United already has two players from Brazil, league leading goal scorer Emilio and Fred. Perhaps it is a case of "3 is a charm"?

Posted by: P | August 17, 2007 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Best game (United): Toss up between 2004 Eastern Conf. Final, 1997 MLS Cup at RFK, or 1996 2-1 victory over Metrostars to send United into Eastern Conf. Finals.

Best game (non-United): 2005 Highbury, Arsenal 3 - Portsmouth 0; seeing Henry score a hat-trick.

Best show: Probably the Stone Roses 1995 at WUST Music Hall. Got to see the show for free after meeting Mani the night before when they were to play on G-Town's campus. When Mani went out for a smoke, I got to meet him and along with about a half dozen other fans we ended up on his guest list.

Posted by: Matt P. | August 17, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Best show? Man, there have been so many, but I'd have to go with U2 at RFK in '87 just for the sheer magnitude of it. The Joshua Tree was U2 at their finest...and it rained just like at the Red Rocks show. On the small scale, I saw the Charlatans at the old 9:30 in '95 - the place was packed to the gills.

Best match, I'd have to go with the WC 98 qualifier between USA and Jamaica at RFK. I remember the euphoria of going up 1-0, after Wynalda converted a penalty, being squashed by Agoos' horrible give away in front of goal a minute later, allowing Burton to tie the score. The Jamaica fans were awesome and RFK just rocked. It had to have been close to a sell out.

Argentina v. Nigeria in Foxboro for WC '94 was also very good. Maradona, Bastituta, Simeone, Caniggia, Amokachi, Oliseh, George. World class.

Posted by: DE | August 17, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Tough call. In most cases, soccer match wins over a concert. But then I did go up to Philly this year to see the Police, which meant missing the MLS Cup vs. my bhoys from Celtic. It was the Police after all. :)

Seriously though, best match in person without a doubt USA-Italy last year at WC06, followed by USA-Jamaica WCQ in Foxboro in 2001, and DC-NE at RFK in '04 Eastern Conference final. Last week's DC-LA game here was right up there too, maybe not for overall quality of play, but for buzz and intensity it was awesome.

Best concerts - aforementioned Police show, Sting solo back in 1989 in Philly in what is now the Wachovia Spectrum, Human Rights Now '89 at Philly's old JFK Stadium, Santana at Nissan in 2001, and a Steely Dan concert in a driving rainstorm at Meriwether (2000?) that rocked anyway.

Posted by: CMJHawk86 | August 17, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Beastie Boys (every time ive seen them) - Nothing quite like 42,000 people in unison, "Listen all yall, its a sabatoge"

Arsenal @ Chelsea (Dec. 7, 2006)- 1:1, Essien drops a bomb from 30 yards out to tie the match and lifts the roof off Stamford Bridge. My first time in England as well as first EPL match. Still get goosebumps off the youtube clip. "a strike of unbelievable quality".... http://youtube.com/watch?v=MAQUoj5Jvm4

Posted by: BH | August 17, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Pat - You must be Pat Cranston? Your music reference is a giveaway.

Posted by: RC | August 17, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Oh - someone mentioned that Maryland v. IU game in 2005...great match. Alas, I only witnessed the first half (was running the MC marathon the next morning) so I missed Indiana's three-goal comeback.

If I remember right - that match contained some solid future talent...Lee Nguyen, Chris Seitz, Maurice Edu, and I think even our very own Marc Burch!

Posted by: DE | August 17, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

"As an aside, looking at the Box Score from last night's, from the 23rd minute on, Colorado's backline consisted of Erpen, Prideaux, Petke, and Sanneh. Why do those names sound so familiar? ;)"

Replace Erpen with Burch and I'll take that backline any day!

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 17, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Best concert The Rolling Stones 89 tour.

Best soccer game Anderlecht v. Brugge. Top of the table matchups are a good time doesn't matter what country your in.

Posted by: Mr.Bill | August 17, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Hoost - nice Catherine Wheel reference. An excellent, very underrated band.

Posted by: SSMD | August 17, 2007 10:08 AM

Thanks. : ) The old 9:30 Club was great...much smaller. Catherine Wheel played 2+ hours that night. Fantastic band!

Thiago? Ummmm, why?

Posted by: Hoost | August 17, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Music: Galactic at Bonnaroo this past June tied with L'Orchestre National de Barbes at the Cabaret Sauvage (Paris) in 2003, beating out Dylan at the Zenith (also in Paris) in 1998, Neil Young same location in 1993, and a Helmet/The Melvins double-bill at the old 9:30 in 1993.

Soccer: No doubt the Eastern Conference Final in 2004 -- For some reason I had always been out of town during DC home playoff games and this was my first time at RFK seeing United play a direct elimination game (Open Cup excluded). I have rarely experienced the feeling of complete communal elation that came with the final whistle.

Music/soccer comparison: Apples and Oranges, Steven.

Posted by: Maxinhaiti | August 17, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

RC - you're right but you have to at least tell me who you are

Posted by: pat | August 17, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

This post has brought back some great memories. Thanks.

Other notables Alison Krauss @ WolfTrap on my first date with my now wife...Just about anything at the Birchmere--Mutual Admiration Society, Willie Horton, and J.D. Crowe being recent standouts...Dead in Golden Gate Park '91

Jealous of: Emmylou Harris in Hoo'ville, U2 Live @ RedRocks, Catherine Wheel

On the soccer front, most of the truly great ones have already been mentioned. Italy-Ghana, MLS Cup '97.

Jealous of: too many to name but US-Italy last WC for sure.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 17, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Concerts:
U2 - Zoo TV (Indoor) Tour- UAC, Tempe AZ
Peter Gabriel - US Tour - America West Arena
Any concert with Butch Walker

Soccer Games:
USA-Romania WC'94
USA-Portugal 96 Olympics
1998 InterAmerica Cup final in Ft. Lauderdale.

Posted by: Kim | August 17, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Pat- It's Rishi. Vamos Caballeros nee Wagoneers!

Posted by: RC | August 17, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

MLS Cup '97 RFK packed to the rafters in the pouring rain and everyone was there to for United(unlike a week ago). Only other game that comes close to that was the USA-Ireland game back in 1992 since it was my first soccer game.

Posted by: dwbpnm | August 17, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I forgot to mention " Ibrahim Ferrer & the Buena Vista Social Club" at DAR Constitutioon Hall in January 2001. Once in a lifetime experience!

Posted by: Charles | August 17, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I will make a plug for two collegiate matches in the Washington area that took place within days of each other in 1985: George Mason upsetting North Carolina in the NCAA women's final, followed by American defeating Hartwick in the NCAA men's semifinal. (Goff may know something about the latter match.)

As far as concerts go, it is a draw between a then-unknown Loreena McKennitt at Capital College in Laurel, MD, and a then-unknown Anonymous 4 at the National Cathedral, both circa 1992.

I also have a memorable football-music combo. Someone else has mentioned Brazil-Germany at RFK in 1993. Apart from the dramatic comeback, in which I believe an injured Klinsmann, who was not supposed to play, came off the bench and got the equalizer, it was noteworthy because RFK was two-thirds full for a weekday afternoon match, presumably dictated by TV. For me it was a doubleheader, as it was followed by a crosstown trip to catch Clannad at Lisner Auditorium on the GWU campus.

Posted by: Go Penn State! | August 17, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

oh hey rishi!

i just saw on bigsoccer bad brains made a song for dc united? that rules even if it doesn't sound like them at all.

Posted by: pat | August 17, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

A bit OT, but the Iranian film Offside, which was shown in downtown Washington several months ago, is now showing at the (Anschutz-owned) Regal Cinema in Glen Allen, VA, near Richmond (http://movies.aol.com/movie/offside/26625/main). This film has received a 97 percent favorable rating from the critics tracked by the Rotten Tomatoes site (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/offside/), and deservedly so.

Posted by: Go Penn State! | August 17, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Music: Old 97s at any number of small venues in Dallas in 1995-97 when they really started putting it together.

Match: USA v. Italy (1-1) in Kaiserslautern,Germany during World Cup 2006. The gritty, confident play by the Yanks,made me forget the ridiculously long, crowded walk to and from the stadium.

Live soccer v. live music: Why choose? A match on Saturday afternoon and a show that night.

Posted by: Robert's Dad | August 17, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

concerts
deerhoof at the warehouse nextdoor (mind blown away)2003ish
Liars Blackcat 2003ish
Phish Smith College 1991

Matches
ben olsen hattrick game
followed by our first two superliga
(newbie to games)

Posted by: mighty! | August 17, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

A correction to an earlier post of mine: Klinsmann started for Germany against Brazil in 1993 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_U.S._Cup), although I'm pretty sure he was playing with an injury.

Posted by: Go Penn State! | August 17, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Live soccer over live music (there will always be a similar show the next night in another town but the soccer match is one of a kind).

Best Concert - The Police '84 at the Atlantic City Convention Center

Best Match - USA/Italy in Germany last summer.

Posted by: Neal | August 17, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Best game: Real Madrid at LA Galaxy friendly, 2005. First exposure to DB23, and seeing Zidane's wizardry live was priceless.

Best show: Billy Joel at MGM Grand (same tour as "12 Gardens Live") in 2006. Just wow. Followed closely by Los Lonely Boys at the Greek, later that year.

(Best concert-esque experience though: being IN the US Air Guitar regionals in 2006 and 2006...)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 17, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the 1993 U.S. Cup, was anyone here in attendance when the USA defeated England? If I had been there, it surely would have been a memorable occasion. Heck, just reading about it in the paper the next day was memorable enough. How about USA-Colombia in '94?

Posted by: Go Penn State! | August 17, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Matt -- Thanks -- own kids' games are special, indeed, and if you coach them, it's like having 15 more!

Reading posts reminds me of a classic show I left off earlier -- Bob Marley and the Wailers, Hamilton NY, Fall 1979.

Guess that makes me old. Oh well, touch of grey, kinda suits me anyway.

Posted by: WNT fan | August 17, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

How about Keller's performance against Brazil?

Posted by: rc | August 17, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Best Match:

Celtic v. Hearts @ Celtic Park, '99?. Celtic win 5-0, Larsson scores a few, and we nearly get beaten to death for wearing our Celtic scarves. Whatever genius put Celtic Park smack dab in the middle of a Protestant neighborhood should be awarded a MacArthur grant.

Best Concert:

White Zombie/Pantera at the old 9:30 Club. RIP Dimebag Darrell.

Runners-up:

Catherine Wheel - Cotton Club, Atlanta (thanks Hoost for jogging my memory about a truly great band)

Van Halen - Cap Center @ 1985. I was 13, first show ever. What an experience.

Pink Floyd - RFK @ 1989. Giant floating pigs? Run like hell is right.

Posted by: grotus | August 17, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

All of this reminiscing about the 1993 U.S. Cup got me wondering why the U.S. Cup has not been held since 2000. In other threads on this blog, there has been robust discussion of the need to get more challenging opposition for the USMNT. Why not try to get the likes of Brazil, England, and Germany on these shores once more?

Posted by: Go Penn State! | August 17, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

...and Eddie Lewis is off to Derby to join Benny, according to MLS Underground:

After Leeds were relegated to League One (England's Third Division), it was believed that Eddie Lewis would never have the opportunity to play in the Premiership.

Well, that has now changed. The American midfielder and last player to score for the US at Azteca in Mexico City will join Benny Feilhaber at Derby County.

See MLSU's revised list of players in the Big 4.

Thoughts on Eddie Lewis return to the big time? Can he still cut it at that level?

Posted by: P | August 17, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Best Match: DC-NE, 2004 Eastern Conf. Final

Best Concert: Hiatt-labelmates, Drive-By Truckers...three nights in a row (the last one being New Year's Eve) after flying cross-country to historical Fox Theatre in Boulder, CO.

Posted by: Jared | August 17, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Great stuff, everyone!

I am happy to report that the Soccer Insider was the No. 1 sports blog on post.com two of the past seven days, surpassing the Redskins preseason stuff. We're rolling.

Since I only mentioned one concert and one game in my original post, I will add the following:

*Little Feat at the Warner Theater
*All Hiatt shows at the Birchmere
*BRZ-Denmark 1998 WC in Nantes
*USA-Italy last year
*MLS Cup '96
*USA-England in '93
*and from the college scene, Virginia-Howard in the '88 quarterfinals

just a sampling...

Posted by: Goff | August 17, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Only 6.5 hours until Foreigner/Styx/Def Lepard, baby!

But taking your kid to see Black Sabbath? Be careful he doesn't climb the Texas Tower anytime soon...

Game I wish I'd seen live: any 1974 World Cup match featuring the Cruyff-led Clockwork Orange.

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 17, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Game: DCU v NE, 2004 playoffs, RFK. Back and forth game, rockin' stadium, penalty kicks. Being at that game made my wife a fervent fan, even after a season of games at RFK.

Concert: Joe Jackson, Hammerjacks, 1989 or so. It was a warm-up tour, just playing in small venues to prepare for the real tour. We felt like we were in Joe's den and he was just trying out a few things. Old songs with new melodies/new tempos. New songs they were trying to learn, too. Awesome.

Posted by: Beaker | August 17, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

goff,

who are these redskins that you speak of?

USL-2 team from waldorf?

Posted by: mighty! | August 17, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Live soccer over live music.

Concerts:
Prince, The Time, and Vanity 6 at Hara Arena in Dayton, OH in 1983.

Fishbone at Oberlin College circa 1987-88

Soccer:
Sunday November 9, 2003 in San Jose, CA
San Jose Earthquakes 5 Los Angeles Galaxy 2
(5-4 agg.)

Saturday September 3, 2005 in Columbus, OH
United States 2 Mexico 0

Posted by: Guy Gayle | August 17, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

This thread has been great. It's amazing reading about all the quality matches that RFK has hosted. We have it pretty good in DC.

SlickRick - were you the guy that sold me a King Cobra forty at the P Funk concert?

Posted by: London Dan | August 17, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Concert (although not sure if this applies): Paul Oakenfold at Club 5 on the Friday of Thanksgiving weekend in 2000(?). He spun from 3am to dawn (he was at Platinum, I think, from midnight to 3am). I didn't drink alcohol nor imbibe any other mind-altering drug that night. Didn't need to. The music, lights and crowd reaction was drug enough to keep me on a high for the rest of the weekend.

Live game: My first DCU game last summer. Forgot who they played against, but DCU won 4-2. Realized going to a soccer match in North America could be A Cool Thing To Do.

Posted by: Juan-John | August 17, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Best concert was REM at Landsdowne Park in Dublin. Best match was USA vs. England at Wembley Stadium. I was 10 rows from the bottom with a Liverpool jersey on and an American flag. Got some serious looks and things thrown at me from the English crowd. Plus, any Derry City match at the Brandywell (hometown) is always a blast.

Posted by: thekop | August 17, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Joe Doc, No Texas Towers in Maryland, so I think we're ok for the time being. I'll bear your advice in mind, however. LOL!

Posted by: Matt | August 17, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Best concert? That's easy...
October 11th, 1994 - MTV studios. You need coolin', baby, I'm not foolin'. That's right - Led Zep reunites! And guess who was the ninety-ninth caller to WROK's Led Zep Ticket Giveaway? I was just getting used to the comforts of the backstage performers' lounge when legendary Zeppelin road manager Peter "Mad Dog" Rudge apparently thought my third free Mountain Dew was one too many. ... He decided to emphasize his point by giving me an old school a**-kickin'. ... The man dragged me by my jaw into a nearby stairwell. Unfortunately, this stairway did not lead to heaven ... but, rather, to the most painful ten minutes of my life. ... The walls were reverberating with the relentless mule kicks of a fifty year old English lunatic ... along with the majestic opening licks of "Kashmir." When they rolled me out onto Fifty-Seventh Street, I couldn't help but think, "Zep, it's been a long time since you rock 'n' rolled - but it was worth the wait!" ...

Posted by: Gil Graham | August 17, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Live is certainly better. Here are mine:

US-Italy World Cup 2006
Neil Young and Crazy Horse, LA Forum, Oct 1977

Posted by: Dave | August 17, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

You guys are making me jealous that more games don't come to Vegas. Give us a team!!!

Posted by: Papa | August 17, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Goff, just read your last post on here and I guess you and me were at the same game in London in 1993. If you remember the game you might remember me being there at the front. Great game.

Posted by: thekop | August 17, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Soccer games: Best I saw live was the final moments of DC beating LA as Freddy Schooled the Gals defense and then jumped into our section at the HDC (the whole game sucked though - up to that point). The MLS cup where DC beat KC was good as my wife and I moved to behind the goal before Alecko let loose.

US v. Jamaica - Olympics at RFK - great atmosphere.

Concerts:

I too was at the Catherine Wheel show at the 9:30 in '95 - reviewed it for JMU's newspaper.

Verve at 9:30 - before the release of Urban Hymns.

REM/Grant Lee Buffalo - Patriot Center - made a lifetime Grant Lee fan out of me.

Nine Inch Nails - once as part of the Bowie Double Bill and once at the Hollywood Bowl, and once at Coachella.

James at American U's GYM in 93?

Morrissey at various times and places - almost made it to the stage at the 9:30 (new).

james

Posted by: James in Los Angeles | August 17, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Best Concert: John Hiatt at Wolf Trap on in June of '91. Weather was almost as bad as last night and maybe the show was not even as good. But it was my first birthday spent with my new wife. It was the kind of truly special night that cements a relationship.

Best Game: USA v. Mexico in Columbus in '05. Another 2-0 win, but this one qualifies us for WC06. Luckily my marriage went better than the US trip to Europe.

Posted by: Mark M | August 17, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Best match: Either DC/NE conference final at RFK in 04. or the Chilean classico of Colo Colo vs U de Chile I went to in '96.

Best concert: Pearl Jam played the Patriot Center same night that Curt Kobaine died. Eddie vedder was so emotional, he had to leave the stage, but came back on with a version of "Daughter" that merged into "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World".

Posted by: David | August 17, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Games like that should end talk of Parkhurst for the MNT

Posted by: RB | August 17, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Best soccer games:

San Jose 5, LA 2 after extra time (5-4 on aggregate), November 2003

Followed closely by SJ 2, LA 1, MLS Cup 2001
SJ 4, Chicago 2, MLS Cup 2003
USA 1, Italy 1, World Cup '06

Concerts
Los Lobos at the Marin County Fair '91, John Hiatt (too many times to count), Richard Thompson, Bruce Hornsby in a tiny club just after his first album came out, Nick Lowe & The Impossible Birds (with Bill Kirchen on guitar), Moxy Früvous, Springsteen in Detroit 1981 (The River tour), Lyle Lovett & His Large Band, Elvis Costello, and I'll mention Danny Gatton since this is a DC blog.

Posted by: JJH | August 17, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Best concert I've attended: George Clinton & the P-Funk All-Stars, New Year's Eve 1996/1997, Navy Pier Grand Ballroom, Chicago

Best match I've attended: 2004 ECF, DCU over NE.

Posted by: Chris | August 17, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

From an old guy out here on the left coast:

Footie: The seasons with Cruyff on the L.A. Aztecs were amazing, but for individual games I'd say US-Colombia (94 WC) at the Rose Bowl and US-Costa Rica (97?) WC qualifier in Portland with the great goal by Tab Ramos.

Concert: The Graceland Tour in L.A. with Paul Simon, Ladysmith Black Mombazo, Hugh Masekela, etc. I still enjoy that mix of Simon's spin on African music.

Posted by: Speedster | August 17, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Goff,
When is Thiago coming? He can play on the wing right? I saw him as underutilized in Chicago and he'd be a GREAT S. American pick up without worrying about the transfer window. He would provide that 3rd striker we lack too. So when we gonna get him? I hope that we hear some news about him soon, he would be an ideal trade for us before going to play in S. America.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Guy Gayle -- I was at Wright State (obligatory soccer reference: Greg Andrulis!) outside Dayton at the time of that show, had a chance to go, but being the poor college student, had to pass. Heard all about it the next day...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 17, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Best soccer match: (not counting my high school match that pitted our suburban group of helplessly white boys against a rough inner-city mostly hispanic team in which a water bottle was tossed between benches resulting in a bench clearing brawl, our football team joining the fray, the the entire police department descending onto the pitch) we won BTW.
Anyway, best match in person? US Mex 2002 in February in Columbus.

Best concert? Pietasters stealing the show from Mighty Mighty Bosstones, 9:30, 199?

Posted by: David | August 17, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Springstein - 1984 Born in the USA - Meadowlands, NJ.

USA 2, Mexico 0, WC 2002. Sorry but MLS games, no matter how exciting, pale in comparison to patriotic WC matches on foreign soil. No doubt that USA v. Italy in WC 2006 was the best USA WC environment ever, but rest of performance at WC 2006 was poor.

Posted by: M.R. Caretaker | August 17, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

What a briliant thread!!! Good call, Goffster!

Posted by: Charles | August 17, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

OH, WOW, DAVID!!! THE PIETASTERS!!! Saw them at Virginia Tech a thousand times! What a live band. I saw the frontman (Steve?) beat the crap out of some fratboy at a show whilst wearing a silver suit. Sweet memories....

Posted by: grotus | August 17, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I was at John Hiatt last night too!

Best concert: It is a toss up between Springsteen, New Year's Even 1979 at the Richfield (Ohio) Coliseum or The Dead at JFK in Philly in July of 1987.

Best futbol game: The World Cup final in Berlin last summer, of course. My ticket source really came up big that time. We sat with the Italian fans.

Posted by: Ms. Insider | August 17, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Jealous of Juan-John for experiencing an Oakie spin session. THAT would be an interesting night like no other.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 17, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

My memories of Italy/Germany was that it was a totally dour affair until the extra time, when the game absolutely exploded and provided us w/ probably the best 30 minutes of the entire tournament.

Posted by: Dave Nelson | August 17, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Looks like SI caused a major drop in DC productivity today.

Best match seen live - WWC 1999 final at the Rose Bowl. Proof that a 0-0 tie can be riveting.

Concert - probably the Texas Jam ca. 1987 with Van Halen and Sammy in the Cotton Bowl.

Posted by: Falls Church | August 17, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey Ms Insider, I was at that Dead Show in Philly! Great opening set!

Posted by: JkR | August 17, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm....Best match I ever saw in person? Since I have only been going to live soccer for just over a year I would have to say the Ben Olsen 3 golazo victory over RBNY this year. Sorry, but it was good and I have not watched a lot of live soccer. Newcomer and all. Best concert, that's impossible. Seriously. I saw an inspired Billy Joel when I was a kid (1993). I saw Nirvana a few months before Cobain's death and he actually appeared to enjoy himself and his voice was in great form. Foo Foghters at the 930 club. Radiohead. Like I said, impossible.

Posted by: T. Henry | August 17, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

"when I was a kid (1993). "

Now we all feel old.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Best live soccer match: Pele and Cosmos vs. the Dips at RFK. Something like 35-38,000 people, to see Pele and a team that had been averaging about 5,000 fans a game at a high school soccer field in Fairfax (somebody help me with a name here... getting the old "brain fade..." A crowd like that, at that time in the history of soccer in this country was just out of this world.

Best concerts: (two, actually)

Pink Floyd Division Bell Tour at RFK, circa 1994. I think EVERYONE was dancing at this one. RFK really is a NICE place to go for a large concert.

Shawn Colvin, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, and Bruce Hornsby at Merriweather (at around the same time). Shawn Colvin was good, Jackson was...well, Jackson, Bonnie was awesome, and Bruce Hornsby just absolutely blew everyone else off the stage!

Posted by: DCUin Wheaton | August 17, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

LeesburgSocccerFan:

Words can't begin to describe Oakie's talent. Pure bliss is about as close as I can get. :-)

Back to live soccer matches: I've mentioned this before in a previous thread a while back, but the Chile-Norway game at Harvard Stadium during the '84 Olympics was pretty cool, too (Goff was there, too, apparently as a cub reporter).

Posted by: Juan-John | August 17, 2007 5:49 PM | Report abuse

One other show I have to mention:

Little Village at the Warfield Theater in San Francisco, April 7, 1992. There's a great quality bootleg of this show out there -- highly recommended.

Posted by: JJH | August 17, 2007 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to go against the tide here and say good live music over good live soccer any time. The reason? I can remember a ton of great shows but very few live matches. And the matches I remember best are the ones I played in... Don't get me wrong, I love watching live soccer in the moment, but the "highs" don't seem to register in my memory the same way shows do. Some of my best in alpha order:

-- Asian Dub Foundation @ Black Cat c. 1999ish
-- Fishbone @ the old 9:30, 1987ish
-- Fugazi @ Ft. Reno, many times, also double bill with Chuck Brown at the Folklife Festival a few years ago
-- Gorilla Biscuits + Bold @ Safari, 1989 (also mentioned by grumpy above)
-- Green Day @ The X-Ray Cafe (Portland, OR), 1992 (playing to me and eight other people...)
-- Jets to Brazil, Kid Dynamite, The Promise Ringe @ The Wetlands (NYC)), for CMJ 2001ish
-- Joe Strummer @ the new 9:30, 2000?
-- Kevin Seconds, Spoonboy acoustic set @ Blondeshells (Silver Spring, MD), 2006
-- Ice T & Body Count @ Roseland (Portland, OR), 1992ish (got to be backstage and mingle...)
-- Reagan Youth @ Rock Against Reagan on The Mall, 4th of July in the evil '80s
-- The Reply @ Fielding Ince's back deck on Highland St. (DC), 1986 or 87
-- Side By Side, Wide Awake, Instead @ The Anthrax (CT), 1988
-- Token Entry, Absolution @ Safari, 1988 or 89

And I could go on...

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 17, 2007 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Best Shows
1) Indigo Girls @ Beloit College in the fall of 1988. Sitting under the trees listening to them play the songs on their major label debut. ~6 months later they were opening for REM

2) John Hiatt/NMAS at the Birchmere last year.

3) Any Last Train Home show @ IOTA (my favorite place for live music).

Favorite Soccer
kid-- My daughter's U13 rec team playing a person down the entire game to a U14 travel team and not ever giving up.

Other-- I've only been to United games and had never been to one before last year.

Posted by: jm | August 18, 2007 12:06 AM | Report abuse