SuperLiga Absences

Any player that received two yellow cards in the group stage of SuperLiga will have to sit out the semifinals, which means, for their Aug. 15 encounter at Home Depot Center, D.C. United will be without Marc Burch and the Los Angeles Galaxy will miss Alan Gordon, Kelly Gray and Ante Jazic. Those who received a single yellow card in the first round will have their record cleared heading into the knockout stages.

Los Angeles is already in a jam because of its ridiculously cluttered playing and travel schedule. The Galaxy will play United at RFK in a league match Aug. 9, take on New England at Foxboro three days later, then fly back home and prepare its shorthanded roster to face United again.

Also of note, if the semifinal or championship matches are tied after regulation, there will be a mandatory 30-minute overtime and, if necessary, penalty kicks.

That's all for now. I am off to the Adu home in Maryland soon for a one-on-one chat with Freddy before his departure to Portugal this weekend. The story will appear at washingtonpost.com late this evening as well as in Friday's paper. I am also hoping to offer bonus blog material late tonight.

By Steve Goff  |  August 2, 2007; 1:22 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Final Four for Freedom
Next: Freddy Getting Ready

Comments

Oh, great. Our one defender that can swing in corners and boot the ball up the field? He's out for the semis.

This should go great. Just great. And hey, who cares if the LA defense stinks? Our finishing is their best defense.

Posted by: Sean | August 2, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

forget freddy, I wanna know about our Dp! HasKP given up on this season or are they hunting, and if so, who?

Posted by: The gaping hole in our roster | August 2, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I'd be very dissapointed if DC can't beat the Galaxy who A. Have tons of games and should be fatigued B. Have suspensions and injuries C. aren't very good anyway.

Posted by: Matt Y | August 2, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

"It's nothing short of a minor miracle that Olson, and Boswell aren't suspended with yellow cards...."

Posted by: Matt Y | August 2, 2007 02:00 PM

-----

That was immediately what I was thinking when I read the 2 card limit....

So if Freddy is moving to Portugal, does that mean he isn't dating JoJo or BoBo or whatever her name was?

Posted by: Lost in BA | August 2, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Ohh swell. Lets just make up some new rules for the next round of SuperLiga. When they do crap like that, how should players and fans take SuperLiga seriously? Theres nothing better than making life difficult to the #1 SuperLiga team thus far, and against our arch rivals, DCU. What a crock of you know what!

GO GALAXY! LAG 6 - DCU 0

Posted by: shirteesdotnet | August 2, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

No Burch? No problem! I'm sure a combination of Gros and Fred can step on Beck's ankle enough to force him out of the game. I hope Vanney is healthy by the time the SuperLiga game comes around. His experiance will help keep the defense from crying too much after Donovan scores a goal (on his 3rd or 4th breakaway).

Posted by: noptov52 | August 2, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

GO GALAXY! LAG 6 - DCU 0

Posted by: shirteesdotnet | August 2, 2007 02:12 PM

How about a spell check? Grammar check? Or, how about you just post on the LA Times soccer blog...is there one? Or perhaps stick to BigSoccer, LA Galaxy forum. The battle cry of the Galaxy: ¡Más llello!

Posted by: vaquero al azar | August 2, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Any chance for a English broadcast on TV (as opposed to the internet)? If not, anyone got a "Spanish for soccer fans" I can borrow so I can try to follow along?

Posted by: no habla ESPaNol | August 2, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

arquero = goalkeeper

delantero = forward

mediocampista = midfielder

defensor = defender

tecnico = coach

arbitro = referee

GOOOOOLLL = It is in the net!

Posted by: Juan-John | August 2, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

My marginal Spanish has improved quite a bit watching soccer on Telefutura and Telemundo. As I tell mi novia, futbol's educational!

Posted by: DCBird | August 2, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

shirteesdotnet-

These rules were in place from the start. I know Galaxy fans struggle with reading comprehension, but it's been there from the beginning. Also, the best Superliga team thus far has actually been Houston (7 points). LA only has 6. Nice try, though.

***

Judging from past experience, LA will replace Jazic by moving Harden to left back and putting Veris in the middle. Assuming Beckham is fit to play by then, I'd guess you'll see Vagenas behind him, replacing Gray. Gordon (a.k.a. the poor man's John Wolyniec...ouch) should be replaced by Pavon, because apparently Edson Buddle is actually dead. Seriously, Pavon has been absolutely miserable in the games he's played for LA, and Buddle still doesn't get a sniff. I think they sit his corpse on the bench for some Weekend at Bernie's-style joke.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 2, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

So who else thinks this means we won't see becks at rfk next week, since he can get dcu at home a week later?

Posted by: Northzax | August 2, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I think we won't see Beckham next week, but that it has nothing to do with them playing DCU (in Cali) the next week.

Would a Namoff, McTavish, Boswell, Gros backline work in the semis?

Posted by: CS | August 2, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Can they sign Andrew Shue to a 10-day contract?

Posted by: RK | August 2, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

"Would a Namoff, McTavish, Boswell, Gros backline work in the semis?"

Gros would get toasted by any LA wing who wanted to make a run down the flank.

Posted by: MattM | August 2, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Hey Shirteesdotnet,

Congrats on the Galaxy's spot in the semi's, but don't flatter yourself by naming your squad as our "arch-rivals". You guys are just another smear of green and yellow dog poo to us. Our most hated dwells in a brackish wasteland up 95, where aging dinosaurs go to wheeze and die. FTMFRB.

Posted by: grotus | August 2, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

While Gros might get toasted, the only option is McTavish outside and the two orange traffic cones inside to get toasted up the middle. Just shows how deplorable the DCU front office has been in finding players that the loss of Marc Burch to yellow card accumulation is considered a serious blow to the defense. (Not that I'm criticizing Marc Burch who has been a revelation, especially given his previous lack of experience at left back.) Maybe Payne and Kasper can find another central defender who is physically fit to play and/or a quality wide midfielder, not a converted A-mid/withdrawn forward.

Posted by: griffin1108 | August 2, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

The Gals could never score 6 in a match, Absolutely rediculou....

What's that now?

Posted by: Kev | August 2, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

You guys are just another smear of green and yellow dog poo to us.

That is the greatest line I have heard in weeks. I'm still laughing at that one. Deep belly laughs!!! Grotus -- If you are at the match on the 9th please have a sign saying that! I sit in the first row and would gladly hang that up for ya!!

Posted by: steve | August 2, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

With the recent growth of Burch/McTavish solidifying the defense, I am calling for the square peg/round hole efforts of converting Fred to a flank midfielder to end NOW. Fred is clearly a talented player, but the transition has not been successful. Push Gros back up to outside midfield and rotate Emilio/Moreno/Fred/Gomez in the top 3 spots. I would have no problem whatsoever with a pure starting rotation of those 3 players. Moreno does not need/should not be playing 90 min. Gomez routinely runs out of gas in the 65/70th min. It is time to put Fred in the A-mid spot when Christian is subbed out. It is also time to play Fred up top. If Fred plays better as a withdrawn forward, then Jamie can play A-mid when Gomez sits. The club needs to see what it really paid for in Fred, given the likelihood of Christian's departure and the unknown status of Jamie next year. Do they need to be searching for another forward or an A-mid - right now we just don't know.

Posted by: Henchlow | August 2, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

_______________________________________________________________
"...If not, anyone got a "Spanish for soccer fans" I can borrow so I can try to follow along?

Posted by: no habla ESPaNol | August 2, 2007 02:42 PM"

_______________________________________________________________
I turn the sound off after about 3 min into the game as I cant stand the TeleFutura commentators. They know nothing about MLS and do not know DCUnited names half of the time. All they know is the Mexican League stats and bore you with stories about mexican players from 40 years ago. I wish Cantor was around for these games. He can discuss any topic, any country, strategy, inside info, etc.

Posted by: Hablo Espanol | August 2, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Would a Namoff, McTavish, Boswell, Gros backline work in the semis?

Posted by: CS | August 2, 2007 03:42 PM

It has to.

Posted by: No Choice | August 2, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

The main Telefutura commenting crew of Pablo Ramirez, former coach Jesus Bracamontes and sideline reporter "Dr. Z" Zambrano is very Mexico-centric as they are Mexicans who make their livings commenting on the teams in the Mexican league.

They could be more knowledgeable about MLS. But I've found them to be pretty good in the SuperLiga games and much more respectful of MLS and its level of play than I had expected they might be. They have some funny mispronunciations (likey Gooey Kapene) but so do most English-speaking announcers.

They go off on their own tangents sometimes but I don't find it as bad as listening to Rob Stone and Wynalda start talking about their golf games.

Posted by: garbaggio | August 2, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

the announcers are OK..yes more focused on the Mexican teams and that's understandable.

However, I almost fell out of my chair when one of them explained the subbing rule "4 subs) by saying that the Mexican League allows 3 and the MLS ALLOWS 5!!!

Man...that's bad...apparently he thinks that the MLS just makes up their own rules and doesn't follow FIFA.

Which....if any foriegner watched NCAA soccer matches...they'd fully get that impression.

Posted by: Matt Y | August 2, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Henchblow. I've been thinking the same thing for a while now.

All the best European clubs rotate their best players up top, we should be doing the same. Gros should be on the left wing. Olsen should be on the right wing.

If the problem is that we have too many good CAMs that one of them needs to sit for the first 60 minutes, then I call that a good problem.

Posted by: Shatz | August 2, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather listen to Spanish announcers and not know exactly what they're saying than listen to 99% of the insipid hacks they have doing soccer matches in (American) English.

Agreed on ending the Fred on the left flank experiment. Anybody with half a soccer brain can see it immediately.

With the traffic cones in the middle it's increasingly necessary to have the Midfield destroyer physically harass the top opposing forward and allow the central defenders to play whatever version of "zone" they seem to be able to manage.

Posted by: morphit | August 2, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: garbaggio | August 2, 2007 04:40 PM

That's funny because in spanish Kpene kind of sounds like Que Pene. Depending on how they say it:

Que Pene! = What Penis!
Que Pene? = What Penis?

Posted by: jaguar | August 2, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Paging Thor Lee...

Posted by: Mike DC vacationing in Martha's Vineyard | August 2, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I was very surprised to hear the effusive praise for DCU in the Monarcas game on telefutura.

In general it is a pretty good idea to say that your foe plays well if you are losing.

Posted by: bribri | August 2, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

mexican soccer commentators are the worst in the world, they might be good for wrestling......

Posted by: OrlandoGator | August 2, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't care what language the commentary is in, I just wish one of the channels could find a director / camera crew that understands the game and knows how to follow live action. Some simple suggestions:
1. run replays when the ball is dead, otherwise you may miss little things like goals being scored as live action continues (Telefutura)
2. sideline interviews should be heard and not seen - for the same reasons outlined above (BSPN)
3. no matter how famous the player, watching him tie his laces or scratch his sack on the bench is no substitute for the action on the field (BSPN)

Posted by: gm | August 2, 2007 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OrlandoGator | August 2, 2007 05:27 PM

You must have never watched soccer on ESPN.

How many Chelsea and Galaxy players could they name that were on the field? 4?

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 2, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

PENAL PENAL PENAL PENAL PENAL ... PENALLLLLTEEEEEEE! = penalty

Posted by: silentbob | August 2, 2007 6:02 PM | Report abuse

HIJO DE P-TA, IMBECIL!! = I respectfully disagree with your call, oh wise and knowledgeable Mister Referee.

Posted by: Juan-John | August 2, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Let me just state, for the record, that shirteesdotnet above does NOT represent all LA Galaxy fans. He certainly doesn't represent me! :) I'm looking forward to this game and also wish I could be in DC to experience BB/SE.

As for watching soccer on Telefutura, even though I speak and read/write Spanish fairly decently, I struggle when it's spoken to me rapid-fire. So for me, there's only one word I need to know:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 2, 2007 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Or we could see Simms in Gros spot if they want some more pace on the backline, but I doubt we'll see that. Regardless, I'd like to see Olsen at D-Mid, Gros on the left, Fred on the Right. Hopefully Jaime will be back at 100% by the semi's and Emilio will be out of his funk as well. When Emilio, Jaime, and Gomez all get on the same page, we'll see some beautiful stuff.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a 4-5-1 like this:
---------- Emilio------------
------Moreno-------Gomez-------
--Gros------Olsen--------Fred--
Burch---Boswell--McTavish---Namoff

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 2, 2007 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Freddy's PR folks are doing one final U.S. media blitz before he goes to Portugal:

Posted by: Juan-John | August 2, 2007 6:37 PM | Report abuse

"Adu Home in Maryland"

What's it like pulling up in a Prius with all them there Adu Mercedes's and whatnot? Are you getting a Ghanaian (sp?) feast with the interview?

Tell Adu--- Good Luck from his DC United fans.

Posted by: delantero | August 2, 2007 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Fred needs to be a withdrawn forward. He could score buckets.

Posted by: d | August 2, 2007 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Telefutura commenting is clearly a step down from the Gold Cup and Copa. Clearly, without debate, the latter were far superior. But enough with the golazo yells. There are many gols, few golazos.

""The fact that the Mexican commentators know someones name besides Beckham, is a large step above the clowns at ESPN.""

Posted by: Anonymous | August 2, 2007 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Que Pene! = What Penis!
Que Pene? = What Penis?

Posted by: jaguar | August 2, 2007 04:56 PM

Ooooo... you better watch your language or you'll offend d's sensibilities...

Posted by: Soy United! | August 2, 2007 10:11 PM | Report abuse

>>>>Fred needs to be a withdrawn forward. He could score buckets.

Who needs buckets, when we can timeshare between Dyachenko and Kpene???

>>>For the LA match, you'd have to stick Simms or Gros back on D, but you get the idea.

Ah yes, the old ¨missing man¨ formation.

Posted by: morphit | August 2, 2007 10:47 PM | Report abuse

My problem with Telefura has been the picture quality. Each player has a "ghost" image around him. Looks like my old college TV with the rabbit ears. Also, it's irritating when they decide during the run of play that they cannot broadcast another moment without showing us all of the stats. They simply ignore the match action while the stats stay on the screen for a minute or so.

Posted by: Stretch | August 3, 2007 1:00 AM | Report abuse