SuperLiga Aftermath

We are going to see that Beckham goal a million and one times on BSPN over the next three days. We are going to read the fabulous Beckham coverage in the L.A. Times. We are going to absorb every word written about Beckham on the footy web sites and in the British press. We are going to be inundated with speculation about whether Beckham will play this weekend against New York on the dreaded turf.

The Becks Express is in full gear -- nothing more to add here. So let's change the point of attack, as they say in futbol parlance, and take this opportunity to discuss United. You know, the Galaxy's barely recognizable opponent tonight. Maybe you've heard of them.

Nice start, no question. The club kept possession and created opportunities, but again the finishing was not there, and around the 20-minute mark, it all began to unravel.

Marc Burch's absence was a factor, but the Galaxy was missing three starters of its own. Josh Gros needs to be in midfield; his defensive instincts just aren't there. Brian Carroll returned to the starting lineup, a bit surprising since Clyde Simms had performed well in defensive midfield in recent matches. Carroll labored, so don't be surprised to see Simms back on the field Saturday at Columbus. Luciano Emilio has been very good this year, but not good enough tonight to beat Joe Cannon, who gets the game's No. 2 star behind Becks. Three chances for Emilio early in the second half with United trailing 2-0, and each time he was stopped (twice by Cannon, once by a defender). I also thought Devon McTavish, who has matured steadily this summer, struggled tonight.

"We always say that when you evaluate guys' performances, you go down the line and look how many guys had good games. You could probably count on one hand the guys who had good games for us today," Coach Tom Soehn said.

One hand? Maybe a fingernail. Or a knuckle.

PLAYER RATINGS
Perkins 4; Namoff 5, McTavish 4, Boswell 5, Vanney 5; Olsen 5, Carroll 3.5, Fred 5, Gros 4; Moreno 5, Emilio 4. Subs: Gomez 4, Kpene 5, Moose no rating (not enough time).

Match highlights here.

Game report here.

Okay, on to Columbus.....

Please share your thoughts not only on this match, but on the SuperLiga in general, and whether you think this tournament has a future. I vote "yes".

I will be traveling back east much of Thursday and, if the airline gods are with me, I'll be spending the evening with my man John Hiatt at Wolf Trap. See ya Friday morning.

By Steve Goff  |  August 16, 2007; 1:53 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: SuperLiga Matchday: DCU at L.A. [lineup update]
Next: Slow Turning

Comments

Moreno is too old/slow.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2007 3:17 AM | Report abuse

Superliga? Yes. Big future.

This match? Hmm... The best way to capture my thoughts would be to suggest that I usually find your ratings too low; however, I suspect a lot of people will suggest your 3.5 for Carroll a bit high.

Also, it's nice to at least see Moose back.

Posted by: B.A. | August 16, 2007 3:35 AM | Report abuse

Moreno is too old/slow.

Posted by: | August 16, 2007 03:17 AM

what are you talking about, he was the best player for united!!!!

Posted by: Yerko | August 16, 2007 4:02 AM | Report abuse

I didn't understand many of the lineup decisions last night.

Carroll starts instead of Simms? Sub out Boswell instead of McTavish, whose handball and foot deflection led to both goals?

Then, to top it off, waste valuable time by subbing in Moose for Fred, who was getting some space and knows what to do with it (not his fault those in the middle couldn't finish what he was sending them).

But props go to the Galaxy for solid games from Xavier, Beckham and Donovan, despite Kyle Martino's best efforts to thwart them.

Posted by: Joe S. | August 16, 2007 4:04 AM | Report abuse

Moreno is too old/slow.

Posted by: | August 16, 2007 03:17 AM

what are you talking about, he was the best player for united!!!!

Posted by: Yerko | August 16, 2007 04:02 AM

Incidentally, I think you're both right.

Posted by: Joe S. | August 16, 2007 4:05 AM | Report abuse

I hope the Superliga does continue, but I'd like to see it with three groups of four teams covering a bit more from ConCaCaf than just the US and Mexico. I know they're trying to get the thing on its feet, but as soon as possible. Please. I know we also have to pay the dues first by generating interest, and that's why certain teams were picked. It's just doubly frustrating that the LA Beckhams wouldn't qualify for the darn thing under any reasonable set of guidelines. Just improve it every year, I don't think that's too much to ask.

Dale Pachuca!!

Posted by: spectre | August 16, 2007 4:20 AM | Report abuse

Love the SuperLiga. If we don't win anything this year, I wonder if we'll see wholesale changes for next year? Can't say that I've been really impressed with Soehn this year either. He has to assume some responsibility for our lackluster play. Not advocating a coaching change, I just think he needs to earn his keep a bit more.

Posted by: London Dan | August 16, 2007 4:33 AM | Report abuse

Gomez has pretty much sealed his fate in terms of being a designated player---he has no chance. He should have signed a contract extension with a reasonable raise while he had the chance. I think this season will be his last with United.

Posted by: Paul | August 16, 2007 5:38 AM | Report abuse

Steve: BSPN was funny the first time. Now it's almost as bad as some DC fans' insistence on calling NY the "Pink Cows." You're better than schoolyard taunts.

At least Beckham played a role in DC's loss. Would be just crushing if LA won without him. DC loves to get so close in these competitions, then just have one slip that ends the run.

The Superliga is great. I always thought so though. The Mediotempo cartoons show that they are a good way to get under the skin of the Mexican teams. I can't wait for next year's and hope they keep the format the same for a few runs before tinkering.

Posted by: Laughing | August 16, 2007 6:15 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

No quote from Perkins on the goal? Or was he not in much of a mood to talk last night?

Posted by: Sean | August 16, 2007 6:30 AM | Report abuse

Soehn managed the match like Carroll managed the ball. BTW, nice way for him to throw the team under the bus afterwards, very classy.

Looking back, even though Perkins should have covered back post on the Beckham goal, on Beck´s second free kick, Troy had to dive to front post to make the save. Hard to fault him on the first one.

How the hell hard can it be for Carroll or somebody to man-mark Donovan, the only dangerously fast guy on the Galaxy? Has Soehn ever heard of the concept? Man. Mark. Mark the man.

Anyhow, Superliga is for losers, but it will be fun to do again next year. Would also like to see some other sides from Central America.

Posted by: morphit | August 16, 2007 6:33 AM | Report abuse

There was one way that we could have received some of the media after the game and that would been by winning. And Troy has to take a good part of the credit for that goal. Wall covers to his left and has has to his right. Oh so take two steps to the left instead of standing still and catching the ball. Nice work.

Posted by: Me | August 16, 2007 6:40 AM | Report abuse

Goff,
You sound like an jealous infant with your comments on Beckham. Grow up and stop acting like an immature, self-righteous Post writer.

Posted by: WhocaresifBeckhamscored | August 16, 2007 6:41 AM | Report abuse

Hard to believe you ranked Olsen on the same level as Moreno and above Emilio. He's a player that I expect to rise to the occasion. Instead he was below mediocre.

Emilio was denied by brilliant goal keeping but I thought did fairly well otherwise. A 4 for him (same as Perkins!?!) is not accurate.

Carroll deserves a (- 1). Soehn's decision to bench Simms was truly the worst decision of the match.

Posted by: delantero | August 16, 2007 6:41 AM | Report abuse

As a sorta-neutral observer I thought it was an entertaining game from the time I tuned in (~30 or 35'). I have not seen any of the reaction by the Mexican team fans, but hopefully they are captivate or at least interested by the tournament. I hope the SuperLiga continues and as was suggested earlier, hopefully they add in a couple more teams, but at what point does this resemble the CONCACAF Champions Cup and how does that interference work itself out with the politicos of CONCACAF?

As a Crew fan, I have little love for DC, but I enjoyed watching Martino's struggles the most on the night. Saw a little retribution exacted for the F(r)ed card he earned last weekend and then his whiff on the open net and his constant bad play just helped reinforce why I'm glad he is in LA and not in Columbus. Former Crew players haven't had the best luck on the last 2 nights (see PK-specialists in Houston).

Anyway, I think I'd rather have LA win just so an MLS team wins than have Pachuca beat LA. The Telefutura broadcasts are pretty nice as well and I hope we can see more production dollars going into more MLS broadcasts in the future.

Posted by: Crew-Fan Dave | August 16, 2007 6:42 AM | Report abuse

""instead of McTavish, whose handball and foot deflection led to both goals?""

Dude, that hand ball was as incidental as it gets. And the deflection? Please, if Josh Gros had a clue how to play defense, Donovan wouldn't have even seen the ball.

Posted by: d | August 16, 2007 6:43 AM | Report abuse

The second was caused by Carroll, plain and simple. All match long he just couldn't do anything right. I was really surprised when Soehn took out Vanney for Moreno instead of removing Carroll. The second goal started off of a bad pass by Carroll.

They say don't change what's working. So why did Soehn not start Simms who's had a couple of good games? And most importantly why keep Gros in defense instead of Burch? Gros played very well in the midfield in the last match and Burch seems a more capable defender. So why go back to the Josh-Gros-as-a-defender experiment?

Posted by: Bart | August 16, 2007 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Well, that sucked. But at this point we're still in the hunt to qualify for superliga next year and we ought to get on that.

Posted by: RJ | August 16, 2007 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah Perkins totally whiffed on that FK.

Posted by: Bart | August 16, 2007 7:24 AM | Report abuse

""And most importantly why keep Gros in defense instead of Burch?""

Because Burch was suspended d/t cards.

I hate when coaches make defensive subs for non-injury reasons. Should have taken Gros out and left Vanney.

Simms for Carroll, Gomez for Gros would have been better.

Posted by: d | August 16, 2007 7:36 AM | Report abuse

the random shots to girls in the stands every 2-3 minutes during live action really pissed me off, and i like girls.

i like superliga, i think its set up fine the way it is... MLS does need to get his head straight on scheduling to FIFA norms though.

Posted by: Ed Lee | August 16, 2007 7:48 AM | Report abuse

players that sucked ass:

Olsen
Kpene
Gomes
Gros

Posted by: NEW LA FAN | August 16, 2007 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Goff any insight?!?

This is from the British Press today.

"MLS David Beckham could be joined in America by his former Manchester United team-mate Juan Sebastian Veron. The Argentine midfelder has been offered a deal by DC United." Daily Mail

Posted by: Veron | August 16, 2007 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Great job by United...way to get owned by team that has 3 wins all year and is hanging out at the bottom of the league. And I thought United was the only DC sports team that isn't a total embarrassment...maybe I was wrong.

Posted by: Embarassed | August 16, 2007 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Well... at least we don't have to play another one more game in such a short amount of time.

I like the idea of SuperLiga, but I agree that it needs to be expanded. Actually, SuperLiga doesn't need to anything. CONCACAF should step up to the plate and actually create the Champion's League that SuperLiga is threatening to do.

The Tournament would be much better if it were home/home with more Central American/Caribbean leagues represented. Outside of Costa Rica (and maybe, maybe Honduras), strong leagues just don't exist in CONCACAF.

As for the final... I don't care. I'm torn between wanting to see both LA & Pachuca lose. So, I probably won't watch it.

Posted by: TCompton | August 16, 2007 8:11 AM | Report abuse

what are you talking about, he was the best player for united!!!!

Posted by: Yerko | August 16, 2007 04:02 AM

Moreno was the best player last night for United and the only one who seemed to care about the game. Despite his injury and cheap yellow card tackle from Beckham he still came out strong which is more then I can say for anyone else on the field.

I would like to see United hire Pele to do some one on one coaching with Kpene and have him take about 200 shots every day on Perkins. He has the speed, he can see the field and he makes good passes but he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn to save his life.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 16, 2007 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Is it me or does Ben Olsen seem to fade every year at about this point in the season? He always seems to start off with a bang, but by mid season he seems slow and rundown. I thought he was dreadful last night.

As for Beckham's goal, he should send a dozen roses to Troy for that pathetic display of positioning. If Beckham can put it over the wall on the RIGHT side, then god bless him, there's nothing you can do. HOWEVER, you CAN'T allow a player to put the ball in on the other side of the goal. Ever. EVER. Keeping 101 should have taught him this.

Posted by: Hoost | August 16, 2007 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I felt like I knew exactly where Beckham's free kick was going before he struck it - maybe I have not seen enough of them, but damned if it doesn't seem like he goes for the back post EVERY time.

Posted by: Henchlow | August 16, 2007 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Superliga YES. And I like the way the Telefutura announcers say Brian Ching.

Carroll's play left much to be desired, but he certainly deserves bonus points for the hit on Martino. Or maybe 3.5 already includes the bonus points. After Simms' game v LA in DC, I'd have thought Simms was a no-brainer last night.

Beckham doesn't play much D does he. Wonder what Olsen said to him after he fouled Moreno.

If Moreno/Gomez/Fred/Emilio can all get on together for 90 it is going to click. People should ease up on them. I love Gros but he was badly exposed last night.

Kpene 5? You're schmooing me. He gives no appearance of knowing what he wants to do or how it might fit in with the rest of the attacking scheme.

Posted by: WNT fan | August 16, 2007 8:34 AM | Report abuse

enough with the Carroll bashing -jeez- with limited support from the other mid-fielders he did pretty well spraying the ball around.
I did struggle and seems to be laboring - I wonder if picked up a knock or something. he had a fantastic strike on goal. I give Carroll a 5.

The other midfielders all get 2 in my book. Pathetic and predictable everytime up the field. How many times did Fred lose the ball? I stopped counting when I started getting mad. I love Ben Olsen but he stunk last night. Was there another midfielder? He was invisible all night.

Posted by: BobF | August 16, 2007 8:35 AM | Report abuse

"The game attracted an announced crowd of 17,223 in the 27,000-capacity stadium."

I can hear Europe laughing from here.

What a waste. SUM needs to get their act together because 17K to watch Beckham is a joke. Either that or MLS needs to take the NFL's lead and get the hell out of LA.

Posted by: US is not ready | August 16, 2007 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Missed the game, but saw the highlights. It seems like United could have scored 4 or 5 last night but was let down by (a) poor finishing and (b) nice goalkeeping.

Posted by: New England Guy | August 16, 2007 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I think I was the one who said that United had no shot of winning any trophy unless they seriously upgraded their roster. They didn't, and now it looks like we will go trophy-less this season. Good job front office, I applaud you for the effort of gettng a senior international.

Posted by: DC United Fan | August 16, 2007 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Fair ratings. A miserable game to watch as a DC fan.
Superliga is a keeper. The matches are fast-paced, hard fought, and full of energy. It will make MLS better and the entertainment is there.

Posted by: Andrew | August 16, 2007 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I love Futbol and I will admit this is my first year watching MLS Futbol, I normally watch the Futbol across the pond. Either it be in England or Spain. But MLS is not a bad product. I will say that this guy Olsen from United is a dirty cheap player. It is one thing to play hard and one thing to play just to fight or try and injure other players. I like Uniteds style of play but this guy Olsen is just a punk and I can't learn to like him for what he does on the Pitch.

Posted by: Julius | August 16, 2007 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

So what's the press corps take on the McTavish hand ball?

I thought the call was a crap sandwich.

I see McTavish raising his arm appropriately to define his space. The ball hits his arm with his eyes closed. Must be incidental contact.

I didn't raise my arm like that once in the international WISL league (@ RFK) and was promptly left with a dinner fork deformity in my left wrist known as a Colles fracture. That's because my legs were taken out from under me.

Nice eh?

Posted by: delantero | August 16, 2007 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I think that one of the best things about the Superliga is that it isnt home and home. Three group games, two of which are US v Mexico, and then semis and final. Win and move on, lose and go home. Makes every match exciting and theres no posturing to get a point out of an away match.

Sure, for an official tournament, you want to have an even playing field, so home and home makes sense, but for a made for tv tournament, 1 and done is much more exciting. Houston-Pachuca was a battle for 120 minutes.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2007 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me or does Fred having no left foot make our left side completely weak when Gros or Burch can't come up to help?

He dribbled into the center of the field about 20 times and got the ball taken from him about 90% of the time, and delivered maybe 1 or 2 good right-footed crosses (and to top it off, benny was in perfect position but got screened on the best one and it should have been a goal)

Also, Kpene gets pushed off the ball way too easily. Xavier got his goat big time. Man up, Guy.

Agree with previous poster: why is donovan so hard to freaking stick with? he has one move and that is to run fast. he's not even a great finisher.

Why did DC look like their legs were gone in the 2nd half? Didn't they have some time off?

Posted by: Dave | August 16, 2007 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I am going to disagree with most everyone who posted. I thought we had a decent game. We controlled the midfield, created bags of chances, and were the better team on the whole (just not on the score card where it mattered). LA had nothing the first and last 20 minutes of the game and the other parts were more or less even in terms of chances and possession.

However - does our lack of scoring make me sick? YES! Do we need to start finishing our chances? YES! Did some players have bad games? YES! Do we need to improve? ABSOLUTELY!

We are too cautious when we attack - always looking to 'set-up' a nice play or using skill alone to score. We need to be faster in thought and cut through defenses and use skill as team.

We are mediocre now, but if we improve in the final third, we could be very good.

Posted by: Postponed | August 16, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Beckham sells out 46,000 seats in DC coming on as a late sub, but can't even sell 27,000 in his home stadium when he's able to start? Sad.

What was with the pitch yesterday? It looked like they had just resodded everything.

Posted by: united4dc | August 16, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse

SuperLiga is outstanding -- keep it going.

Find a way to add a 3rd group ... leverage the parternship we have with Bundisliga and grab 1 or 2 from Germany and add an EPL team that wants to expand its presence in the US and a Coca-Cola Championship team that wants to do the same.

Posted by: Mark in NRH | August 16, 2007 9:13 AM | Report abuse

>> Beckham sells out 46,000 seats in DC
>> coming on as a late sub, but can't
>> even sell 27,000 in his home stadium
>> when he's able to start? Sad.

No kidding. That's a terrible sign for LA. Becks-mania has worn off already?

My hats off to him on that goal. Seems he can still "bend it", eh?

Posted by: KR in DC | August 16, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

A couple random thoughts to add to the discussion:

Jaime was clearly our best player, he looks healed.

Say what you will, but Beckham controlled this match. The Galaxy were simply a different team with him on the field. He makes the players around him better; he deserves that armband.

Goodbye, Brian Carroll. Please.

I love Telefutura. "Brian...Ching!" The shots of all the chicas bonitas was the only thing that made the second half bearable.

Is it possible for LA to make the playoffs?

Posted by: grotus | August 16, 2007 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Keep SuperLiga but make it a home/away series.

Posted by: Peruco | August 16, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I can hear Europe laughing from here.

Posted by: US is not ready | August 16, 2007 08:37 AM

I guess you don't watch all of those countless cup competitions in Europe that are played in front of half-full stadiums.

I also would have rated Moreno higher. He was our most dangerous player and seemed to be the only one with much urgency.

I am a big BC fan, but I too wonder why no Simms instead? Is he hurt? Is it a coincidence we won the last two games he started?

Posted by: Glenn | August 16, 2007 9:25 AM | Report abuse

If we are going to rate the players, I think we should rate the coach as well. As others have said. There were some "odd" decisions made which have an impact on the game.

On the whole, DC tends to hurts itself more than other teams hurt it.

Posted by: crowbar | August 16, 2007 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Telefutura is fine, but the organizers have gotta figure out a way of getting an English-language broadcaster. Heck, put it on Versus (I'd say FSC or GolTV, but not everyone gets those channels yet). There's gotta be more soccer fans than bullriding fans, right?

Posted by: Juan-John | August 16, 2007 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Any LA fans reading can specify, but I know that the ticket prices were jacked up for this, and it turned off a lot of season ticket holders.

Superliga? Si! Inflated ticket prices? No!

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 16, 2007 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I really didn't understand pulling Boswell. Not that it mattered, it was just strange. I also thought the more obvious halftime move was Gomez for Carroll. Putting Gros in at left back turned the game. We lost width and he had a shocking effort on the second goal. Vanney wasn't that much worse than anyone else in the first half.

Where are we meeting for the John Hiatt tailgate??

Posted by: JkR | August 16, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Tickets WERE jacked up for this match, and Becks only announced on Tuesday that he would play (after not even suiting up on Sunday). In addition, the game was not part of a season ticket package. I hate LA but I can't stand some of you people bashing them w/o the facts.

Trust me, that place will be full the next time he plays in the HDC.

Did I say I hate LA yet?

Posted by: Hoost | August 16, 2007 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Another crap-tacular crash and burn from DC in a cup competition

Posted by: JonInVB | August 16, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one starting to think that we need a major turnover this offseason? I think we're still playing in the aftermath of the 2004 Earnie Stewart/Esky/Nelsen/Moreno squad, and it's starting to wear thin.

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 16, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

re attendance numbers - the game in DC was a regular season game so there was much more time to publicize and sell tickets for it vs the game last night which was only determined recently, but still a bit disappointing that LA couldn't sell more tickets.

re quote from Perkins on Beckham's goal "He hit it well but I wasn't in a good spot on it either and he caught me," Perkins said. "When you get a player who can hit a ball to either side, you've got to keep to one side and make him beat you. If I was in a good spot, maybe he has to put it over the wall. That's my fault." (http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20070816&content_id=111706&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp)

Posted by: emanon | August 16, 2007 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I felt this was the worst match I've seen Ben play. He wasn't able to control simple passes made to him, and he wasn't able to complete a pass. He worked hard, but without reward. Also, I felt Jaime spent WAY too much time on the ball. He seemed to want to dribble the entire defense. Maybe he is feeling the pressure to score goals, but even a mediocre defense will shut down constant solo efforts. I don't fault Troy on the goals. I was disappointed with Devon last night.

Keep the tournament. Let's just do better next year.

Posted by: Gus | August 16, 2007 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I like Benny, but no way does he rate a 5 from last night's game. He could not do anything right.

Posted by: Falls Church | August 16, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Have DC United come back after allowing the first goal this season? It seems like we only know how to play one way. Just a thought. Many reasons why we lost the game. With copa sudamericana and a tough stretch coming up, it would make sense to add a quality/impact player.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

What a jackass this coach is. A total mini-Nowak. You want to evaluate performances? Did you watch Dyachenko and Simms at NE? Did you watch Simms against LA last week? When is this joke of a coach going to realize that Fred sucks, is a bust and is over his head in this league. He can't play. Dyachenko's stats are the same in about 1/6 of the games. United is 3-0 with Dyachenko as a starter (Chicago 3-1, America 1-0, NE 3-0). The players are fine. It's Soehn who's the problem.

Posted by: Diablo Now! | August 16, 2007 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Everyone faulted Peter Nowak last year for never changing the lineup. I'm faulting Soehn this year for constantly changing it. Why Carroll instead of Simms, who had been playing well and we were winning with him? Soehn gets a 2.5 for this match.

Posted by: Anna | August 16, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Too much whining today. Beckham's FK was spectacular even though Perkins broke the wrong way what are you going to do? Donovan is best running at defenders and got beautiful service... from DB. Our away record is terrible and even though we did control play we again could not finish. Our last touch when attacking was poor all night. We need points vs. Columbus this weekend to stay in contention for MLS playoffs. All is not lost although this defeat is yet another big disappointment.

Posted by: sbg | August 16, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

The inaugural Superliga has impressed me. The format is good for where it is, although I would expect it to expand as its popularity increases. I really don't need a home/home format, the one-and-done makes for some riveting soccer, and it's not like there are a demand for more games to be played anyways.

Posted by: J-Mart | August 16, 2007 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Just watched the match highlights again and painful memories resurfaced that I will share:

1) Emilio has been incredibly inconsistent this season. We pay him to score goals. He really should have converted at least one of the chances he had (especially the one set up by Moreno in the 50th minute).

2) We completely lost any and all composure in the second half. We outplayed LA in the first 20 of the first half and had quality chances.

3) You have to give Beckham credit for that kick. Everyone in the entire world is looking for him to drill it into the right upper 90, but he places it in the left side netting leaving Perkins with egg on his face.

4) I agree that we need Gros back in the midfield -- he ran up and down that left flank in the first half creating chances. When we couldn't attack along the flanks in the 2nd half, our attacks were predictable and flat.

5) Moreno has lost quite a bit of pace, but still can create chances and makes good decisions. Why not use him like LA uses Beckham in the middle of the pitch controlling play and moving attacks forward? Unless Gomez wants to find his form again...

Posted by: To Tom Soehn: | August 16, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I love Beckham's pride. He really changed the game with that hard challenge early in the match. He showed leadership, and the rest of his team followed. For whatever reason, folks forget that his greatest attribute may be his competitive spirit--don't forget all of those yellow and red cards. He almost gets too fired up at times. His play certainly affected Landon...a focused and motivated Donovan spells trouble for the rest of the MLS.

As for the goals, I think we're pointing the fingers at the wrong people. True, Perkins looked like he had gone to the bathroom in his pants before the free kick. But, the wall certainly moved quite a bit, which isn't helpful.

As for Gros, look at the defensive line when the ball was played. I think it's Namoff who is five feet behind the rest of the defenders...oops. This allows Donovan to get behind Gros. There's no Eddie Pope circa 1996 on our team to catch Donovan from behind.

And, I don't know why everyone goes after Emilio. He's a threat like we haven't had in ages. He's scored a bunch of goals. He's in the right position. No, he's not Drogba, but he's one of the top 4 forwards in MLS (along with Twellman, Angel, and Ruiz...and maybe Eddie Johnson).

Posted by: jj | August 16, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

ticket prices were not inflated for this game and 17,000 on a weeknight with kick off during rush hour traffic (it lasts until about 7:30 on a daily basis) is a good draw for L.A.. Chivas EEUU would love to draw that number on a saturday(without playing the galaxy., but they can't. the college that the home depot center is located on also has restrictions about attendence on weeknight games, so they rarely open the upper deck for weeknight games for the G's, when Chivas EEUU rarely ever has the upper deck open.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I'd say the "BSPN" jibe still has some legs. I was up early this morning and at about 2 AM the ESPN "crawl" was reporting that Beckham had scored a goal in a Superliga game against DC United but NO GAME SCORE!

Posted by: just sayin | August 16, 2007 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC United Fan | August 16, 2007 08:41 AM

Yeah, dude, you're right. There are no more games to play this year. MLS Cup, Supporters Shield, Copa Sudamericana. Yeah, nothing. The world's over. StupidLiga was the end all get all of existence.

Posted by: Roll Eyes | August 16, 2007 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Julius | August 16, 2007 08:46 AM

The go back to watching La Liga, you poser.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I have to admit, albeit painfully, that this DC team is not very talented and also has some major holes ( no real wing players, suspect central defense)that will need to be filled.

Incidentally, on the BBC website, it is reported that "Juan Sebastian Veron could join David Beckham in the MLS. He is considering an offer from DC United". Is ti the same old story or is there something new there?

Posted by: Charlie | August 16, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Charles | August 16, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

As for the game last night, we just didn't show up to play. United's overall possession was awful. Moreno looked sharp to start, but quickly joined the rest of his team in mediocrity (and it does appear he has lost a step in the past few games, same for Gomez). As for your ratings Goff, the following players' should have been lower:

Fred - may be the largest detriment to this team. He possesses the ball on the wing far too long, far too often with bad vision and virtually no service. When he plays more central, his back is always to the goal (again not helping his vision) and lacks the ability to turn before he inevitably turns it over. I would estimate that his passing percentage (which would count a turnover as an incomplete pass) at below 25%. Sad thing is that may not be the worst on the team.

Olsen - had a horrible game, didn't capitalize on the one good cross by Fred and had his share of turnovers as well. But he's a great marshal on the field whom the ref seemed to be legitimately intimidated. I can see where you got the rating from, but on pure performance it was not so.

Vanney - again, seems to give the ball away a lot; and you have to love that shot from 40 yards out that wouldn't have gone in if you had stacked 4 goals on top of each other. I don't like the way he plays with the team, although that can be said for a lot of the guys last night.

Kpene - needs to shoot the ball, that's what forwards do.

Gomez - yes this is his first game back, but trying to run through 3 defenders while down by 2 goals doesn't help. That and the overlapping runs with Fred, he needs to tell him where to be or switch to the wing because we all no he would be better there than Fred. He also abandoned his sweet half-cross hooking pass to his back side after the first was poorly ruled offside's, that's probably one of the most effective plays United has and he should stick with it.

Sorry for the long post; there will be a quiz later this week so read up!

VAMOS UNITED

Posted by: J-Mart | August 16, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

One thing that builds on a couple of comments. You could see Beckham, after that yellow card tackle, when he realized that he could actually take a few knocks, really turn it up. Before, he wasn't challenging, he wasn't doing anything.

Then, he goes in late, takes a chance, realizes that his ankle doesn't hurt and ... uh-oh. That moment was the turning point in the game. After that Beckham was getting stuck in, was asserting himself, was guiding and controlling the attack, and his skill level was head and shoulders above everyone else. No doubt in my mind that he was the man of the match.

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | August 16, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Julius | August 16, 2007 08:46 AM

Yeah unlike Beckham who slide tackled Moreno from the side and was nowhere near the ball. I'm sure he learned that one in your perfect La Liga.

Beckham was just as much a dirty hack as anyone else last night. And he showed it by getting that card. Let's not even get into what blondie was doing to Kpene.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

To answer the Goffer's question: SuperLiga - yes!

other things:
I like B. Carroll, but right now I just don't understand why Simms wouldn't play.

Perkins - what's with the big game mental blanks?

I believe the field at the HDC had to be redone due to the x-games (why they keep doing that - that's another question).

If my spanish is good enough, about the 16th minute, while the camera was on a DC player preparing for a corner, the announcers said Beckham was giving his defenders some strong words. Two minutes later he picks out the best player on the opposition and fouls him hard enough to get a card. Didn't it seem that the flow of the game changed after this? > Maybe Beckham will be lifting up this LA team rather quickly, even as sucky as they have been thus far this year.

Posted by: Rob | August 16, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

PS: and the BSPN thing won't be old until ESPN stops making it so true!

Posted by: Rob | August 16, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Superliga has been a great success -- the attendance for mid-week games has completely shocked me. I hope that this can evolve into a North American Champions League. They need to have teams qualify (not hand-picked), and games need to be played in Mexico, too.

Posted by: RK | August 16, 2007 11:01 AM | Report abuse

"To Tom Soehn" wrote: "You have to give Beckham credit for that kick. Everyone in the entire world is looking for him to drill it into the right upper 90, but he places it in the left side netting leaving Perkins with egg on his face."

Not everyone. He put it exactly where a right-footed kicker would put it from that position on the pitch. Beck's hardest bender moves from right to left, exactly as this one did. Give Perkins a break. It was his first view of the world's best free-kick taker. How many keepers would have gotten that one? It was typically world class.

And give Emilio a break, too. After all, he's only leading MLS in goals. If he scored every match, he wouldn't be playing in MLS. He was unlucky last night. For my money, Cannon was MOTM.

And Fred needs a break, too. He doesn't do well on right wing. His natural position is central midfield, but that's Gomez' spot. Fred has had his best matches on the left wing. Sure, he lacks a good left foot for crosses. He doesn't need it. He beats defenders on the dribble and gets the ball inside that way. From there, he can pass or shoot with his right foot.

How does the MLS cope with Beckham? Man-mark him and force him to play defense. Hopefully, you prevent the precision through-balls. When your team gains possession, look to the man marking Beckham as a target. Get him the ball. Becks proved again last night that he is below average when defending. Give Yallop credit for playing him in central midfield. It's the best place to "hide" a defensive liability.

This is my first posting to this forum. I like seeing the use of "futbol." My choice, though, is futball. It could be the Americanized name for the world game -- and it reflects the American-Latin fan base in the USA.

Posted by: Running Cloud | August 16, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

DB controlled that match and completely threw the United off their game by inspiring L.A. to be more physical and press the attack. I didn't expect for him to make THAT BIG a difference in the LA lineup(beyond the FKs of course), but for all of the DC mistakes we have pointed out already, DBs impact was undeniably THE #1 difference maker.

Posted by: DaveS | August 16, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I'm disgusted with Carroll and Vanney, and am starting to sour on Fred, too. McT had a hand in both goals... everybody wants to see Bex bend one into the goal and the ref is no different... McT just handed ref the opportunity and we paid for it... On Landycakes' goal, Perkins would've stopped that shot except for McT's foot made the ball skip over Perkins... Again not intentional and not all really his fault... had Carroll not given the ball away for the 1000th time... Gros not been playing left back, etc... Bex should've been shown the red for his late and harsh tackle on Moreno, had it been Olsen he'd have been in the showers 10 minutes later... Moreno was mugged in the box and should've had a PK attempt at least... the way Cannon was playing last night he probably would've stopped it, too... Olsen couldn't lift a cross had his life depended on it... Perkins failed GK 101... why line up a wall if your going to second-guess your choice... stay with your post... basically, I'm just disgusted with the whole effort... poor perforamces from the entire team... and coach...

Posted by: Soy United! | August 16, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Also, the TeleFutura guys mentioned something last night at the outset. Apparently, DCU and LAG had met three times in international tournaments prior to last night and LAG had won everytime... Can someone more stat and history savvy confirm that? If it's true, now it's FOUR times... I'm gonna go hurl now...

Posted by: Soy United! | August 16, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Running Cloud | August 16, 2007 11:07 AM

He's been given a chance to play in that spot and did just as poorly. He's not an MLS caliber player. The Australian A-League is clearly not the place to look for players. He's a bust.

Posted by: Not Quality | August 16, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Soy United, I've found one of the previous matches. 97 CONCACAF Champions Cup Semi Finals. LA beat DC 1-0.

Posted by: emanon | August 16, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Everyone's ignoring the truly important question from last night's match: Was Posh high or what? Every time the camera cut to her, she looked totally out of it, and it seemed like she barely remembered how to clap.

Posted by: JonboyDC | August 16, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

A couple of thoughts in bullet form:
1.) Perkins 4; Namoff 5, McTavish 4, Boswell 5, Vanney 5; Olsen 4, Carroll 2, Fred 4, Gros 3; Moreno 6, Emilio 6. Subs: Gomez 3.5, Kpene 4

2.) Lack of wide played killed us again. When we spread the field to create space we win, when we don't we lose. It really is that simple.

3.) I've been saying it all year--Gros is much better as a wide left midfielder than as a defender. Also, Fred doesn't belong on the left side because he collapses in too much.

4.) Moreno did a great job in Gomez's position last night, and is actually better there than at forward anymore. I'd sit Gomez since he hasn't been a factor all year.

5.) Emilio had several good chances that only a demon-possessed Cannon prevented. He controlled well on transition and created chances. He's still scoring better than a goal every 1.5 games which is a high average.

6.) This was Soehn's worst game tactically as coach. Bad substitutions at the wrong time. Overall he's been good tactically this year. The biggest problems with DCU this year have been motivation and consistency, and that lies with the players not the coach.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 16, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Loved SuperLiga, but keep it like it is. Each team has a fairly good shot at winning, and only the BEST teams can compete. The point of the tournament is to further establish the U.S.-Mexico rivalry, so I don't want to see other countries involved. Also, if the tournament is too big and too long, then it gets in the way of all the other soccer at this time of year.

McTavish is lucky the ref didn't point to the penalty spot when he almost tripped some schmuck in the box.

Posted by: rc | August 16, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Tough night for McTavish. Questionable hand ball, the redirect into the goal, and almost an earlier redirect on the Beckham first half cross.

As for finishing, I agree with an earlier post that DC seems to want the perfect goal -- ten passes through the box -- rather than just some rips to test the keeper. And I think the biggest problem with Emilio is his touch -- he has a shaky first touch, often losing the ball in critical spots or not placing the ball well on his shot. I think that's why he has so many blocked. He's great on runs and positioning, though. A better touch and he has twenty goals!

Posted by: teamn | August 16, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 16, 2007 11:50 AM

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 16, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

from an ESPN report on Beckham's goal:

"Their efforts were futile as Beckham lifted the ball over the left edge and watched as the ball curled with a dip past a static Perkins into the keeper's bottom left hand corner."

What game were they watching? Bottom left hand corner of Perkins' goal? Uh-no.

We had ample chances to score, we did not. They had a couple, they did.

I just can't friggin believe we lost to that team. Go Pachuca!!

Posted by: Steve | August 16, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

"Simms has been motivated and consistent, yet coach benched him. Hard to say Soehn didn't screw up last night."

I concur. Bad tactical decision to go with Carrol last night when Simms has been playing well.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 16, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Henchlow | August 16, 2007 08:34 AM

that's the point, becks can, and does, go to both corners often enough to keep you guessing. yes, maybe the near post is harder, if the wall is any good, but you can't cheat too much to the far post, or you end up looking like Ecuador in the 2006 World Cup. that one was near post, lower vee, almost bounced on the touchline, and the keeper couldn't get there in time. When he strikes one cleanly from 25, it is almost like a penalty kick for the keep, it's positioning and an educated guess, followed by getting lucky on picking the right spot to dive. there are always recriminations after the fact, too many of his goals look like they should have been saved, but no one gets to them.

Posted by: northzax | August 16, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm a neutral here, just a fan of a good game. SuperLiga is a keeper, no doubt. I see no reason to include other countries, I like it as an incubator for the US - Mex rivalry on the club level.

I think it gets too sticky if you open it up to the rest of CONCAFAF. How many teams, what countries? I don't think it can realistically support extra qualifying rounds, and I wouldn't be nearly as excited to see some club team from El Salvador. I think this option becomes better in the future when the tourny has grown, and a Libredores birth is given for the winner.

I also don't think you need to go to home-and-home, the Mexican clubs get pretty decent support, it's a pretty neutral atmosphere. The only reason I'd like to see that is for our guys (US players) get more big game experience in hostile places, kinda how the Nats don't play enough road games. My understanding is the Mex teams make good money here, and also are interested in expanding their brands here.

I'm really glad Beckham had his first real game in SL, it's a gift to the real soccer fans. Let the bandwagoners look over our shoulders, the real show is for us. SL and the U-20's have been my favorite competitions this summer for each game being HQ.

Finally, Hottie Cam over Beckham Cam any day!

Posted by: Eric | August 16, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

How can you give Benny a five? That was the worse game I have ever seen him play. He has looked that way for a couple of weeks in a row. I know I am going to take some flack for criticizing United's greatest hero of all time, but he has not been in good form lately.

Posted by: Olsen step up | August 16, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Also all you Vanney haters are blind. He played well last night and distributed the ball well with his left foot. He is not the greatest defender and has no foot speed, but the guy knows how to play the game. So get off his back and stop blaming him. McTavish was at fault for both goals despite his strong effort. Once he gains more experience he won't give up those blunders.

Posted by: Vanney | August 16, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Hi I am Julius. I know nothing about MLS or Ben Olsen, but I love to criticize. Wow does everyone love the fact that I am ignorant and opionated about a player that DC loves.

Go to hell Julius!!!! Please keep your ignorant opinions to yourself.

Posted by: Julius | August 16, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

See you at John Hiatt tonight....

Posted by: Chico | August 16, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

You have many treasures, gypsy. Who did you rob for this?

Posted by: The Quotable Julius | August 16, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

What on earth was that crazy flying bicycle kick Ben tried in midfield, around minute 55?

Posted by: RK | August 16, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

This United team does have talent, but struggles with consistency and fitting their talents together into a cohesive team. With a good run of form they could challenge for the MLS title. Barring the all the pieces finally coming together on their own, what should DCU do to turn things around - both this season and next?

In my opinion the signing of Fred has not worked at all. He doesn't play well personally or help the team overall when he is on the flank (right or left). I think he could be a factor at withdrawn forward/attacking center mid if he was given extended playing time there. Fred, Gomez, and Moreno on the field at the same time is not a recipe for success - all tend to go centrally, hold the ball too long, and are lacking in pace. The Magic-Rhombus was a great dream, but the dream is dead.

DCU lacks a forward who is a consistent scoring threat besides Emilio. Moreno and Kpene create chances pretty well, but haven't been aggressive (or effective) shooters. Dyachenko has been average and Addlerly downright awful.

The third main problem is the lack of a speed in the center of the defense. I think McTavish is developing into a good central defender, but he lacks speed which is a problem because Vanney and Boswell aren't exactly fast either. With the poor play from the CDM, the center of DC's defense is exposed regularly.

What can be done? The international window may be closed, but United could still trade with MLS teams. Brian Carroll and/or Fred might bring decent players in return. I like them, but a true winger or CB with some speed could help DC a lot more at this point.

The sky is not falling, but some change is needed.

Posted by: noptov52 | August 16, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

General responses:

- On Beckham's tackle being the turning point

Maybe I'm a certain kind of immoral jerk to play against, but if I'm a United player and the opponent's best player is carrying a knock and just put in a wild, two-footed tackle on our captain and best player...I'm going to do my best to ensure he pays for it. I don't care if it's Beckham with LA, Angel for NY, or any other team's best player. You do not tackle Moreno like that and get away with it.

And making matters worse, he did indeed come out of that tackle realizing that his ankle was better than he thought. It was a critical moment in the game.

- On Carroll vs. Simms

This is the worst decision Soehn has made since he took over as coach. Simms has been very strong in the last 2 games; Carroll was quite poor. He turned the ball over too often, and on the 2nd goal you can see him arriving on the scene moments after Beckham made the pass to Donovan. Gros is taking the lion's share of the blame for his clumsy attempt to cut the ball out, but Carroll has to be much, much closer to Beckham there.

- Ratings

I'll play this game: Perkins 4; Namoff 5, Boswell 5, McTavish 3, Vanney 5; Fred 4, B. Carroll 3, Olsen 3.5, Gros 3; Moreno 5, Emilio 5. Subs: Gomez 4, Kpene 3, Moose NR

- Final notes

People who didn't understand Fred being subbed off must have missed the shot of him receiving immediate massage and stretching with trainers after coming off. He cramped up.

Credit Beckham and Cannon for really stepping up to the occasion, but I think this was a case of us really playing a thoroughly poor game than them beating us. Even with our struggles, we owned possession and moved the ball towards goal with relative ease. However, in the final third we completely fell apart too many times to count. Much to my chagrin, we still (even playing possibly our worst game this year) would have grabbed a couple goals if not for Cannon.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Thank you (fake) Julius!!! I started to type up a reply to that ignorant rant about Benny, but I couldn't compose anything that wasn't rife with profanities.

Oh - and I don't care how well Vanney played. When Vanney plays, United fares poorly:

Games Vanney played: 1 win, 1 tie, 3 losses
Games Vanney sat: 3 wins, 1 tie, 1 loss

I do not think that this is a mere coincidence.

Posted by: DE | August 16, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Let's be honest. Can we do that?

This result all comes back to the sobering assessment that we are just not a championship winning team. Were good but not that good and on any given night a team like LA or RSL can beat us. That shouldn't happen. We realy need Veron or someone else to come here quickly. The rest of the league has improved since last season but we haven't. If anything, we've gotten worse.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

So why did United get rid of Donnet? . . . So they could buy Fred?

Posted by: rc | August 16, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I'll admit to watching only about 70% of the games this season. (Sometimes I tivo and watch bits and pieces.) So I'll totally buy any more informed opinions. But I just don't get what Kpene is bringing to the team.

10 games 0 goals 2 assists? Makes me miss Eskandarian...!

I'm not blaming him for this loss or anything. When I see Soehn sending Kpene in, I just don't get it.

Posted by: jasonVA | August 16, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

DC teams for the last couple of years are becoming major choke artists. We seem to qualify for everything and win nothing.

The lack of finishing is a major problem. We need a DP that can deliver. IMO, I think the Olsen/Moreno/Gomez era is ending and they need to be replaced with youger, better players to keep up with the increasing level of play in MLS.

Posted by: Nick | August 16, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

here's a shocking thought: maybe superliga seems exciting because ALL THE GAMES MATTER. Make a note MLS and restructure your season.

Posted by: noble | August 16, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

It is always interesting to see the trends in comments after a loss and then again after a win....depending on the previous night's scoreline, either the soccer world is ending or we fans think DCU will take over the world.

It is great to be passionate, but perhaps not at the expense of being rational.

DC was let down by some of its players and stood up by some Gals' players. Bex alone had an immense impact on the Gals, and he caused several of them to notably lift their games.

Lots of woulda-coulda-shoulda with every match, even more in this one. Overall it was entertaining, a tad painful if you are a DCU fan due to the scoreline, but overall it was good stuff to watch and it furthered both MLS and the Superliga.

The important thing for DCU is to move on to C-bus with a sense of purpose, given that there still is an MLS season going on, and there are points to win. Or lose.

Keep the faith - all is not (yet) lost.

Posted by: Mr. Optimism | August 16, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Optimism,

But if I can't type: FIRE SOEHN! after every loss, what meaning will my life have?

...

Posted by: Sean | August 16, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

JasonVA,

I actually had the same thought. His first touch last night was like a ball running into a brick foot, and he never turned and went at goal. Plus Xavier completely dominated him, and that guy is definitely crazy.

I don't see it. Can someone explain to me what Kpene brings to the pitch that's so wonderful?

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | August 16, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Al Gore invented the internet, and as you know, Kevin Payne invented SuperLiga. Hats off then!

I think we need a team shrink. We miss opportunities and the team wilts instead of trying harder; channel your energy into being PISSED OFF boys!

One thing that did piss me off: Prus walks our wall off 10 solid yards, for Sir Becks. But later in the match we have a free kick from the same spot, and the LA players are 5 yards away! Take a look, it's a joke.

Posted by: David | August 16, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I really liked SuperLiga. I was initially a bit cynical about it and I do wish they would add a true test of home-away play, but I think it was great. DCU is proving to be an average MLS team right now. Some strong players, but some weak players too (Carroll, are you listening?)

Posted by: DuPont Mike | August 16, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

hey,

I just joined barra brava a couple weeks ago, and i'm wondering how i'm supposed to get tix with the "tickets" link on the website not working. And how much are they for a regular season match?

Posted by: new guy | August 16, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

"IMO, I think the Olsen/Moreno/Gomez era is ending and they need to be replaced with youger, better players to keep up with the increasing level of play in MLS."
Posted by: Nick.

Nick, I fully agree with you. Definitely DCU need to start rebuilding with younger, quicker and more talented players. If we have to keep one of them, I would say keep Moreno and use him as a midfielder. He does not have the speed anymore to play forward.

Posted by: Charles | August 16, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Thing is, most of the players on our team would be gladly snapped up by another club for their veteran leadership. That's a nice position to be in.

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 16, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Can Vanney be snatched up for his veteran leadership? Oh wait, he already was.

Posted by: rc | August 16, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

While I agree about Gomito, and letting him go, I think that there is no way that this team's Front Office can cut or trade Benny Olsen. I don't care if we don't get any value out of him.

Benny should be out there as long as he feels he can contribute. And he has such a respect for this club that he'll let us all know when he can't contribute anymore. Same thing with Jaime. Those two deserve to go out on their own terms, own conditions.

And I, for one, will not have dry eyes watching either of them applaud me on the loudside for the last time.

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | August 16, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Hoost: "If Beckham can put it over the wall on the RIGHT side, then god bless him, there's nothing you can do. HOWEVER, you CAN'T allow a player to put the ball in on the other side of the goal. Ever. EVER." NO DOUBT!

Bart: "As for Emilio, if he wasn't leading MLS in scoring I would say he's a bust. What with all the scoring chances he's missed. But since he leads the MLS, I say if he can only convert 75% of his chances, he would have double the number of goals. Period!" WHAT?!?!?! Didier Drogba doesn't finish 50% of his chances. If you could get a striker to stick 1 of 3 shots in the back of the net, you'd be sitting on a goldmine. Emilio was an awesome pickup. Awesome.

Soehn Bashing continues, and though I'm not super high on him I think the guy deserves a full season. We're looking to finish solidly in the playoff race, with a probable home advantage in the first round. From there it's anybody's to win, as we've seen several times in the past. If we can finish strong, in contrast to the past two Nowak teams, I'd say Soehn is a keeper. If not, put him back on the shelf and try again.

Having said that, Nowak had our black and red looking much more dangerous for most of the past three years than they have ever looked this year. I knew when he left that we'd miss him. He was a GREAT coach.

Posted by: Matt | August 16, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

new guy...

just show up to the tailgate on gameday or buy them from the ticket window... that's basically what everyone else does.

Posted by: d, dc | August 16, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Kpene sits when Moreno and Gomez are healthy. Right now he's a project with some promise. He's been getting (significant) minutes because Moreno has been at the Copa America and injured for like 5 weeks, and we don't have anybody else on the roster even remotely competent at that position. Speaking of which, if Emilio picks up a knock ... I shudder to think. Anyway, I'm high on Kpene. He holds the ball well, has pace, and can thread some beautiful passes.

Posted by: Matt | August 16, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

O ye of little faith.

Handball was unlucky. DB hit a great ball (he's pretty good at those, right?), you're down 1-0. Shots don't fall all night for league leading scorer. DB finds your weak defensive link, who is out of position due to cards on Burch, and victimizes him, and even then the ball takes an unlucky bounce off McT. 2-0. Gomez and Moreno are just returning to match fitness; and the two of them haven't run 90 with Fred and Emilio in how many games??? Gomez is the MVP of the league last year and now he's washed up and trade bait?? I DON'T THINK SO! Moreno slow/tired? He made Beckham look stoopitt multiple times last night (before and after the foul), and created chance after chance. Quite whining and get your chins up, lads!! Where was Houston last year at this time? Get a grip! With Simms and Burch playing, Gors on left wing, and few breaks, it's a way different game.

Posted by: WNT fan | August 16, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I guess Becks could be the ideal GOP candidate.

Posted by: eQualizer | August 16, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: David | August 16, 2007 02:58 PM
*******************
I saw that, too! I know it's an old and tired line of thought, but the referee was complicit last night... no call on the shove in the back on Moreno, only a yellow card on a late and harsh tackle on our best player (aren't the refs supposed to protect the best players), a lame unintenational hand ball call 20 yards out, no yellow card on Flopping Kyle, etc, etc, etc... SUM gets a final match in LA between LA's Bex and a Mexican team... in a stadium where they get a lot more money per seat, too... Oh, I gotta go hurl again...

Posted by: Soy United! | August 16, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

It's funny how bashing starts and stops with winning and losing. While I like Soehn, some of his decsions have been questionable at best. However, hindsight is 20/20. If the moves he makes, work, he is a genius. If not, a goat. That's not fair to anyone. We are going to be going through the dreaded "R" word soon. Rebuilding. I'd like to see how Soehn does with a different roster.

Now I'm going to defend Yallop. Why does everyone say/think that this guy should be fired? I'd take him as a coach in a second. The guy has won titles, and knows what he is doing. The LA mess belongs to Alexi Lalas. He is an @ssclown of a GM. Everything he touches turns to poo. Yeah, yeah, he takes credit for Beckham. Whoopdeedoo. He was going either to NY or LA. Lalas had nothing to do with it. "Crown Jewel of MLS?" Puhleeeeassse!!

The only thing about LA that is a Jewel is Lalas. He is the "@ssclown Jewel of MLS"

Someone should throw a corner flag like a javelin right through his chest. I believe Lalas even pretended to that himself at RFK when he played with the Revs.

Did I mention that Lalas is a tool. If the rest of the world thinks of Lalas when they think of MLS, we are in TROUBLE!!

Posted by: Steve | August 16, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Soy United! | August 16, 2007 04:05 PM

The fix was in. There's no way SUM was going to pass on Beckham being in the spotlight for their "final." What a joke and a joke of a tournament. Let's see what referee SUM assigns for the final. How are the referees assingned, by the way? Is it SUM? If so, then a marketing firm is running the tournament. Stew on that.

Posted by: The Fix | August 16, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

One man (Beckham) beat DCU with the complicity of herr Soehn (Ich kan nicht glaube)

Posted by: OrlandoGator | August 16, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Huey | August 16, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

John Hiatt?! Phewy!

I'll be at Foreigner/Styx/Def Lepard Friday at Nissan Pav, Row M, lighter in hand. Some sort of beverage in the other.

"Babe I'm leavin', I must be on my way..."

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 16, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

For reference:

"It is widely accepted that there are seven distinct stages in the grieving process.

The seven stages of grief for a scale that one who has suffers a loss will ascend over time.

The seven stages of grief are:

* Shock or Disbelief
* Denial
* Bargaining
* Guilt
* Anger
* Depression
* Acceptance and Hope"

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 16, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow was that a different team with Becks in the lineup. The Galaxy really seemed to embrace him and his workmanship. But he does not play defense, and that's something we can exploit.

In general, the Galaxy were just a lot more organized than us at the back. Cannon had a great game, Perkins did not, and had that situation been reversed then we probably would have won.

If nothing else, this tournament has really made it much more clear who should be in our starting lineup (YES to Burch and Simms, NO to Fred and Carroll). There's no need to talk about rebuilding, we just need to get our best lineup in the game. Although another quality player couldn't hurt.

Posted by: Shatz | August 16, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

One more thing...

The only reason that Kyle Martino didn't deserve a penalty kick on McTavish's sliding tackle is because he is Kyle Martino.

Posted by: Shatz | August 16, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Where was the pride? Where was the passion? numerous players joggin around late in the second half? Terrible!

Posted by: Pride, Passion, and Tradition? | August 16, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I will argue we are starting a tradition of not showing up for big games.

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 16, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

"Speaking of which, if Emilio picks up a knock ... I shudder to think." Scary thought indeed.

The sky isn't falling, but I think the consensus is that we witnessed DCU's worst performance of the year last night. Good analysis from the usuals, and especially Matt today regarding Emilio, Soehn, and Kpene.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 16, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

More info from MLS Rumors (again, witha grain of salt):

The Fire Just Got Hotter.

MLSR has learned the Chicago Fire have signed 26 year old defender William Conde from Columbian side Millonarios. Conde is a member of the Columbian national team. Conde has also played for Argentina's 1st division side, Tigre.

Posted by: P | August 16, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Is the barra brava ticket window open for awhile? I may not be able to get to the pink cows game until late. How much are tix?

Posted by: new guy | August 16, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

looks like MLSRumors got something right

(http://ar.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/070816/deportes/dep_fut_colombia_conde)

jueves 16 de agosto, 2:46 PM

BOGOTA (AP) - El defensor colombiano Wilman Conde seguirá su carrera en el Fire de Chicago de la MLS estadounidense.

Conde, de 25 años de edad, se hizo célebre este año cuando en tiempo de reposición consiguió de cabeza el gol del triunfo 1-0 de Millonarios ante Independiente Medellín y lo condujo a la semifinal del torneo Apertura del fútbol colombiano.
Millonarios anunció el jueves que Conde firmará un contrato por 16 meses y si es transferido a otro equipo recibirá un porcentaje de la negociación.
La vinculación de Conde fue propuesta por Juan Carlos Osorio, hasta hace unas semanas entrenador de Millonarios y ahora estratega del Chicago Fire.

Posted by: emanon | August 16, 2007 5:24 PM | Report abuse

BSPN? Really? Are we complaining about a soccer player, any soccer player, getting TOO MUCH coverage on ESPN? Wasn't it as recently as three months ago that we were all complaining that the mainstream media wouldn't cover a growing game?

This is what we were asking for. No different than the over-the-top coverage of Bonds' tainted HR record, A-Rod's back page photos, or Kobe's temper tantrums. Throw in an increase in the number of soccer-related "Top Plays" (both European and MLS) and I have to say I'm not sure what more could be expected for a sport on the rise but still not in the top tier of the American sports landscape.

Posted by: Neal | August 16, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Denilson to Dallas imminent...Goff, can you confirm this?

Dallas is already nice. With Denilson in tow, they are gonna be real nice.

Posted by: Nick | August 16, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

For some reason I am still quite sour about this loss. Maybe it's because I know that over the 90 minutes we were the better team last night and missed chances/DB's two moments of greatness did us in.

What's good at the moment is that I really like how our backline is coming to form. The loss of Burch hurt us bad last night but the Namoff-Boswell-McT-Burch setup looks to be solid, solid enough that I think we're good for this season barring injuries.

I think it's obvious that BC is gone for some time-until Simms manages to get himself into the gutter or hurt.

I think this team is much closer to championship quality than some would have us think. We really just lack an impact player in the midfield. I hate to say it, but I think Olsen has become the weak link. It may be best to try to move Carroll for something of value and have Benny move back to DM. This might provide us the midfielder we need. You have Simms for solid depth. We'd look something like....

Emilio-Moreno
----Gomez----
Fred-Olsen--X
Burch-Boz-McT-Nam

You'd have Simms off the bench for Olsen, Dyanchenko for Gomez, Moose for Fred, Kpene for Moreno, and Vanney for the back line. I think this team could make a run for SS, MLS Cup, and Sudamericana depending on who we get at X. I'm a little short of suggestions, but I'll be damned if I don't give credit to whichever blogger it was that flung Demarcus Beasley out there pre-Rangers move. DP from heaven, if you'd asked me.

Hmmm, that reminds me. I'm supposed to be going to heaven this afternoon to meet everyone in the milkshake pool on the lesbian cloud to forget about Superliga.

Vamos United!

Posted by: RJ | August 16, 2007 6:16 PM | Report abuse

re Player X. Newcastle has given Nobby Solano permition to talk to London teams due to his desire to be closer to his wife and kids. Move them all here to DC and we'll have a right sided player to send in crosses, the Peruvian Becks.

Posted by: Mifflin | August 16, 2007 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Joe-Doc. I'm right there with ya tomorrow night at Nissan. It's gonna be a good show!!

Posted by: Steve-O | August 16, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

So, did anyone else notice the ESPN dropped the NE-Rapids Match tonight? They picked up poker instead... I mean, Colorado is bad but poker? Goff, any insight on that?

Posted by: Gburg | August 16, 2007 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I wanted to bring up something that came across the wire today-- Have you heard these supposed "team anthems" put together by adidas fo each MLS team?

If you haven't here you go--

Talk about pure garbage. Listen, I love Polyphonic Spree, and the Bad Brains are legends, but was there direction given to them how to write a "soccer anthem?" I understand they wanted to use local area bands to represent their city, or a team of close proximity, and to create and indiviual sound from its' city's talents, but come on!!! They sound like they were put together during half time, rather than to be enjoyed during.

If adidas wanted to put something good together, they should have done some better research than marketing.

Lightning seeds--

Fat Les--

This is how you do it! Now top it, people!!

Posted by: MIke | August 16, 2007 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Good old DC fans. Emilio sucks. Fred is a bust. The refs are cheating us. You didn't cut the crusts off my PB&J sandwich.

Posted by: Brian | August 16, 2007 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gburg | August 16, 2007 06:55 PM

Noticed it as well! I really look forward to watching Thursday Night MLS on ESPN2 in HD. Regardless of the matchup, futball in HD is sweet. I ended up ordering MLS direct kick for about $37 for the rest of the MLS season from Comcast. Anyway to express our disgust with ESPN dropping the game for freaking poker?

Posted by: DaveS | August 16, 2007 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gburg | August 16, 2007 06:55 PM

Posted by: DaveS | August 16, 2007 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gburg | August 16, 2007 06:55 PM

Posted by: DaveS | August 16, 2007 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Fred is not a winger. Olsen is. So put Olsen on the wing and Fred up top with Emilio. Put Moreno center mid. How impossibly hard can it be to find a workable configuration? Does a coach need two hands and a periscope to see what´s right in front of his nose? Is it impossible to figure out how to mark ONE PLAYER?

That coaching job was pathetic for a u-14 girls coach, and at the professional level, it´s simply not acceptable. Let´s call a spade a spade here.

And after such terrible management, to go ahead and throw the whole team under the bus instead of accepting responsibility and accountability (unless I missed it somewhere) is disastrous, especially at this point of the season.

Muck it up, grin, and say, ¨WE dropped a log,¨ fine. Make a joke and point out that the new Brit sure can play, fine. But don´t shirk your primary responsibility in managing the situation and leading the team forward.

Posted by: morphit | August 16, 2007 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Hell yeah Superliga has a future. They have been arguably the best matches of the year, though the CCC comes close as well. Something about those international competitions I guess.

Unfortunately for United fans, DC folding in the big games has been more the rule than the exception the last several years.

Posted by: papa bear | August 16, 2007 8:56 PM | Report abuse

ESPN swapped tonight's game for the Toronto-LA game a couple Sundays ago. That was announced when they first announced they were adding Toronto-LA.

And to whomever said we shouldn't complain about the nature of ESPN's coverage, comparing it to covering Bonds, A-Rod and whoever, I complain about ESPN's coverage of those folks all the time, so there's not necessarily inconsistency there. And more coverage of soccer is good of course. But if the nature of that coverage is dumb, it's still dumb.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2007 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or does DC have no good American players. Serious the only ones playing well are the South Americans. DC needs to get some better American talent.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2007 12:34 AM | Report abuse

No good American Players? Olsen? Boswell? Perkins? Heck, even Simms. Not good? These are all great players.

Posted by: Garret | August 17, 2007 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Mike, don't forget New Order's "World In Motion" for the 1990 World Cup. Never thought I'd see an Ian Broudie or Vindaloo reference on here with all the... uh... other ... uh... music references.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 17, 2007 1:23 AM | Report abuse