Superliga Matchday: DCU at Houston

I come to you from Virginia, not Texas. A freelance writer will handle coverage of tonight's match for the Post's print edition. Don't blame the editors; it was my call. With the travel budget in mind, I felt it was better to save the cash for the semifinals and final (if United advances and has to play on the road) than spend a lot of it on a midweek trip to Houston (not cheap). There will be a game report online late tonight and in the paper tomorrow, it just won't be written by me.

So like most of you, I will be watching on Telefutura. I imagine it's going to be an odd feeling for me after attending every serious United match, home and away, since early April when I skipped the Chivas Guadalajara trip. (By the way, no paper in the country travels with their MLS team as much as The Post. No one is even close.)

Although I'd rather be in Houston, staying home does afford me the opportunity to join all of you for in-game commentary right here on the Insider. I plan to post comments every few minutes. So come on back to this thread around 8 p.m. Eastern and we'll discuss the match as it unfolds.

By Steve Goff  |  August 1, 2007; 3:05 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA-MEX...Again
Next: Match Comments Here

Comments

Don't care what Svrluga says. You're awesome, dude.

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 1, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to a dynamic Goff thread tonight. I've also been enjoying the dcunited.com broadcasts, despite the small screen I'm forced to see it on.

Posted by: Sean | August 1, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Do you have to be there in-person to write stories for the Post? Why can't you just write a story based on what you see on TV then phone the guys in the locker room for quotes?

Posted by: Paul | August 1, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Paul,

If Goff did that, then he would be Jamie Trekker. However, this freelancer could be the Lou Gehrig to Goff's Wally Pipp. We may see a new face of Soccer Insider tomorrow!

Posted by: London Dan | August 1, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

-----

Good question. A lot of papers will do that to avoid paying a freelancer or to put their own writer's touch on the story, but it's largely frowned upon here. Only in extreme cases (such as a United game being played in another country) do we resort to that approach. Just the way it is...

Posted by: Goff | August 1, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

is your budget set at like the beginning of the year, and you can't make a request for additional games as they come up? I would think your editor would understand that as DC goes further in tournaments, then additional games would pop up. If DC had advanced in the Champions Cup and on to Sudamerica would you have had to decide between those games and regular season games?

i would imagine the cost of hiring a freelancer would be comparable to at least airfare. unless you mean just using the AP wire story the Post already pays for anyways.

Posted by: just curious | August 1, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

You know the people of Soccer Insider have clout when Steven Goff has to explain his not attending a mid-week game in Texas :) Good stuff.

Me, I'll be brushing up on my Spanish listening to Telefutura.

Posted by: Bart | August 1, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

'One of us! One of Us!"

Posted by: DCAustinite | August 1, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

It's sad that rampant Big Soccer-ism forces you to spend half of your post defending the Post's soccer coverage. But don't worry, there are plenty of us out here who appreciate what you do. Anyone who would complain about you not making the trip to Houston is probably the same type of person who will whine about getting their money back if Beckham's still injured when the travelling circus stops in their town.

Posted by: Kenobi | August 1, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

What if Goff was one of us
Just a fan like one of us...

(to the tune of "What If God Was One Of Us")

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 1, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Goff,
You lazy SH*T!

Just kidding bro. You, your blog, and your coverage rock the house. No paper shows the love for soccer like the Post. NY Times be damned! (Although their GOAL blog is pretty decent.)

So I've come close to swearing twice and mentioned the competition. Will my post remain live?

Posted by: Big Soccer Super Poster Fan One | August 1, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it the editors who sets your travel budget?

It may if fact be a very generous budget, but if you have to limit your travel based upon the budget,it is indeed the editors' call, not yours.

Posted by: Lloyd Heilbrunn | August 1, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Although I might complain it's not enough, I do appreciate the effort the Post puts into its coverage.

Watch channel/network carries Telefutura in this area?

Posted by: ML | August 1, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

What if DC had advanced in the CONCACAF Champions Cup and into Copa Sudamerica? Would you have to decide between regular season games and those additional games?

It seems odd that there's no allowance for games that come up due to advancing in a tournament, or that you can't just make a request and have your editor approve it.

Posted by: just curious | August 1, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Geez, DC United has it all - a bunch of championships, a lot of fans, a great beat writer and a wonderful soccer-specific stadium. Oh, wait...

Posted by: Mr. Jerk Face | August 1, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Can we please also have minute by minute updates on Poplar Point?

Posted by: Hoost | August 1, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

@Mr. Jerk Face

Zing!

Posted by: Kyle | August 1, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

"If Goff did that, then he would be Jamie Trekker."

Maybe the mystery freelancer is Jaime Trecker, in which case god help us all.

Posted by: So Md | August 1, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

If the Nationals didn't exist, this game would have been played at RFK, as was orginally and incorrectly listed (as no one had checked the MLB schedule at the time) when SuperLiga was announced earlier this year.

Posted by: RFK | August 1, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Goff, if United doesn't get the win tonight, will you stay with this thread to provide commentary as Club America goes through the paces and allows Morelia to earn a semi-final spot?

Posted by: late game | August 1, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Goff, you are in DC. Fiscal responsibility and common sense are well out of order.

Thanks for all you do.

Posted by: Andrew | August 1, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Pot luck at Goff's house! I'll bring a casserole.

Posted by: Arrrlington | August 1, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

If the Nationals didn't exist, Emilio would have easily slotted home the game winner vs Morelia.

If the Nationals didn't exist, we'd have advanced to the second round already.

""If the Nationals didn't exist, this game would have been played at RFK""

Posted by: delantero | August 1, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

For years, I've appreciated all you have done for United and soccer in general. The Post deserves credit along with you. With so much quality coverage, it is very easy to forgive a bit of fiscal restraint. Houston is miserable in August anyway -- maybe even worse than here.

Thanks for the great work.

Cheers.

Posted by: Peter | August 1, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I feel like a little kid whose teacher is going to hold my hand as we go on a field trip together. I feel safe knowing Mr. Goff will be by my side.

Thaaaank You Mr. Gooooff.

Posted by: Little Boy Again | August 1, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

You know, DC United and Terp sports coverage are about the only reasons I don't cancel my Post subscription. The news reporters are inept and the editorial page is now nothing right wing Bush cheerleaders (I'm talking about you, Fred Hiatt). Of course, my kids like the comics, too.

Keep up the good work Goff!

Posted by: Terp | August 1, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the tiebreakers tonight ... correct me if I'm wrong, my brother SG, but I think:

1) If DC & Houston tie 1-1 and Morelia wins by any score other than 1-0, it will definitely come down to a draw of lots between DC & Houston for second place. This is because Morelia would have scored 4 goals to DC & Houston's 3 and it would finish first.

2) If DC & Houston tie 1-1 and Morelia DOES win 1-0, then you've got a ridiculous 3-way tie on points, head-to-head, goal difference and goals scored. 3 way drawing of lots.

3) A 2-2 (or higher) draw and a Morelia 1-0 win puts DC & Houston both through.

4) Go America!

bk

Posted by: oldskoolnewsaide | August 1, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

"Why can't you just write a story based on what you see on TV"

And expense the 60-inch plasma screen with surround sound! Or watch it at Pegoraro's house (where does he get all those wonderful toys?).

"Pot luck at Goff's house! I'll bring a casserole."

And in the morning, I'm making waffles.

Sorry, the Spinal Tap stuff has me quoting movies.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 1, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Dear Montreal,

Please take your baseball team back. It's getting in the way.

Sincerely,

D.C. United

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 1, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Goff, any thoughts on what some of us have posted re: putting Gros at left mid and Fred up top w/ Emilio (assuming Namoff is good to go tonight)?

Posted by: Whither Fred? | August 1, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to think that Club America will play in Chicago tonight like they want to impress Chauhtemoc Blanco (who will hopefully be in attendance).

Of course, we can only hope that it will be a moo point by then.

Posted by: silentbob | August 1, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse

McTavish scores tonight. That is all.

Posted by: West "by god" Virginia | August 1, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ian | August 1, 2007 6:59 PM | Report abuse

re: It says on dcunited.com that you can watch the game from their website. Anyone know if it is going to cost money?

The MLS site and www.superliga2007.com have had all the games in English for free. The picture is small, but with a good internet connection has been watchable in my experience. I think it's the same English language tv coverage as they're getting on Fox Sports Canada.

Posted by: TH | August 1, 2007 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff don't forget you can watch the game on line in English on MLSNET or DCunited.com

Posted by: Anonymous | August 1, 2007 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Are you in touch with the freelancer in Houston, or can you get him/her to post to this blog? For instance, if you were in Houston, you would have given us the starting lineups by now.

Posted by: Go Penn State! | August 1, 2007 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Goff--
Do you speak spanish?

Posted by: Andy | August 1, 2007 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks TH. Wow i could have been watching in english this entire time.

Posted by: Ian | August 1, 2007 7:40 PM | Report abuse

FYI, I have created a new thread for in-game comments!

Posted by: Goff | August 1, 2007 7:44 PM | Report abuse