SuperLiga Matchday: DCU at L.A. [lineup update]

[UPDATED AT BOTTOM]

They meet again, this time with a berth in the Aug. 29 tournament final against Pachuca at stake. If United wins, the final will be at RFK Stadium. If the Galaxy prevails, they'll play at Home Depot Center. A $1 million grand prize for the champion ($150,000 goes to the players to split up) serves as bonus motivation.

With a late kickoff for Insider loyalists in the Eastern time zone, I reckon we should begin our match conversation now while y'all are still at work. Not that, um, anyone with an ounce of respect for their generous employer would, er, read a soccer blog during their, uh, work hours.

Tom Soehn has got some decisions to make: With Burch out, does he play Vanney or Gros at left back? Or perhaps McTavish on the right, Vanney in the middle and Namoff on the left? Is Gomez match-fit and healthy enough to start? And does he wait until the second half to bring on Moreno?

And what about Becks? Starts and plays 60 minutes? Enters at halftime? Or comes on in the 72nd again? Is this the night he scores or creates his first goal?

How ever the match unfolds, let's hope for a decision in regulation (or, at worse, overtime) so we do not have to endure an Ngweya-esque penalty kick.

Your pregame, in-game and postgame thoughts are welcome throughout the long evening.

[UPDATES BELOW]

I don't know if it will be evident on tonight's TV broadcast, but the HDC playing surface looks like it was put together with paste and green construction paper by an preschool arts & crafts class. In person, it's an embarrassing sight. Blame the X-Games. Let's hope it meets Becks's specifications. Ug-ly.

Otherwise, a perfect setting -- another warm, cloudless day/evening in SoCal.

DCU LINEUP: Perkins; Namoff, McTavish, Boswell, Vanney; Olsen, Carroll, Fred, Gros; Moreno, Emilio.

LA LINEUP: Cannon; Klein, Harden, Xavier, Randolph; Harmse, Beckham (captain), Donovan, Martino; Buddle, Pavon.

By Steve Goff  |  August 15, 2007; 2:39 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Revs Moves
Next: SuperLiga Aftermath

Comments

emelio knepe
olsen gomez simms fred
gros mctavish boswell namoff

moreno for knepe at half
fred moves inside, gros moves up, vanney enters and gomez comes off at 60.
b carroll or moose might have to sub for benny when he starts to cramp

Posted by: jay | August 15, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Watch the game online at superliga2007.com or mlsnet.com and check out my new sports blog at http://journals.aol.com/jmkcool2002/SportsMediaandMore

Posted by: Jessie K. from Baltimore | August 15, 2007 3:01 PM | Report abuse

What is the channel showing the game on Verizon Fios?? I cannot find it!

Posted by: Garret | August 15, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I think Jay has is about right. I expect Gomez to start. And I expect Namoff to stay on the right were he works well and Gros back to the defense. Moreno on at halftime again.

I think they will start Becks and hope they can get an early lead. I think he comes off at halftime if they have a lead. If they are trailing they will want to ride him as long as he can. Of course he has barely played for 2 months, even though to hear the guys at Fox Sports tell it even lame he is the best player in MLS by a million miles, but I guess you expect a couple of Beckham worshiping Brits to say that. Of course a lot will depend on how many tackles he endures and how it holds up. He says he can feel the instability which can't possibly be a good thing now or for the long-term.

What happens to other $850K? Does it pay the taxes or something?

Posted by: Glenn | August 15, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Garret - unless someone tells us differently, we are out of luck in seeing the match on TV via Fios.

Posted by: Ex-Colt | August 15, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ex-Colt | August 15, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

What's with all the double-postings?

Posted by: Soy United! | August 15, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

What's with all the double-postings?

Posted by: Soy United! | August 15, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

What's with all the double-postings?

Posted by: Soy United! | August 15, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

-------- Perkins --------

Namoff---Boswell---McTavish---Gros

Olsen----Carroll---Gomez-----Fred

--------Moreno-------Emilio---------

Simms comes on for Gomez if United has a lead at halftime. Kpene subs for Moreno at 70th minute for counterattack. Dyachenko in late for Emilio, drops back and clogs the middle.

United goes up 2-0, gives one up late, holds on for 2-1 lead.

Beckham hits a post or crossbar. Fleeting shot of Perkins wiping his brow and yelling at Carroll for not playing Beckham tighter.

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 15, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Goff is trying to get his post count up.

Will Ben Olsen try to add a home Beckham Galaxy jersey to complete the set?

Posted by: RK | August 15, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

He did get a home jersey (white) at RFK... their away shirt is blue...

Joe Doc, I like your lineup except for Simms in place of Carroll, Carroll comes in for Gomez and Simms slides up and Carroll takes Simms slot...

Posted by: Soy United! | August 15, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | August 15, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Beck's steals Olsen's this time, but the cameras quicky turn away instead this time. The footage later resurfaces on a Dateline Sasquatch sightings special.

Jay's looks good to me.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 15, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

[ Seeing as this is Becks' first actual game AT the HDC, why not wait until 20-30 minutes into the game before bringing him on to what I would imagine would be a wee bit thunderous applause? ]

And blow a sub 20-30 in for promo reasons only? Lalas would do it, but I don't think yallop is that far gone... yet

Posted by: Soy United! | August 15, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

joeDoc,

Posted by: tommy soehn | August 15, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

My point exactly.

Posted by: Soy United! | August 15, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm worried about this game. Each year there's usually a classic DC United / LA Galaxy match. Their first match was abysmal. The second a media circus. There's finally a game with something on the line and I have a strong feeling that the Galaxy will block out the distractions of their terrible season and take it to us tonight.

Can a new back-line of Namoff, Boswell, McTavish, and Vanney/Gros, hold off what will surely be a rejuvenated attack (especially with Beckham in the line-up)?

Can our Offense finish off any of the opportunities that we get? Not counting the New England shocker, we haven't been that good on the road this season.

Let's just hope we're still one of Fortune's favorites as DC United attempts to be the first MLS club to win another tournament.

Posted by: TCompton | August 15, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I just realized my brain had combined Kpene and DeRoux. What the heck happened to DeRoux?

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 15, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

let's remember that LA is without 3 starters. And they have a lot of injuries. Who will be in their lineup?

Posted by: Glenn | August 15, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Both Beckham and Jaime are going to start. I have no idea what condition Gomez is in, so just about anything could happen with him, although I suspect an early second half appearance.

Lets hope the gals continue their streak of poor play, but I still see this one going to extra time.

Posted by: J-Mart | August 15, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I think we all remember what happened last time DC faced a severely depleted LA lineup.

Posted by: Colm | August 15, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

"how can I have simms on the bench if we beat the revs 3-0 and the galaxy last week with simms in. carroll is on the bench to start"

Brian is from Springfield, VA. I'm from Springfield, VA. Como se dice, "'nuff said"?

Hey Soy, keep the Simpsons wisecracks to yourself, mi amigo!

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 15, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I emailed Mayor Fenty regarding the poplar point status a few weeks ago. Here is his response.

"Thank you for your letter dated July 23, 2007 regarding DC United and the building of a new soccer stadium at Poplar Point. The District of Columbia will release a Request for Expressions of Interest for Poplar Point. We expect many responses and ideas for the development of this site. These ideas may include a soccer stadium. "

nothing groundbreaking, just though I'd share

Posted by: PTI | August 15, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me our best offense has been with Gros on the wing creating havoc (occasionally on both ends).

I'd like to keep him there and let Vanney play left back.

I also think Simms is the better option at D Mid.

Posted by: JkR | August 15, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

There is one constant during United's recent string of defensive success. Other than the 1-0 loss to RBNY, Vanney has been on the bench. Coincidence? I think not.

Vanney should remain on the bench.

Namoff - McTavish - Boswell - Gros/Simms

Posted by: DE | August 15, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

If it comes to a penalty shootout, I hope Moreno shows Ngwenya how cute little flicks are supposed to be done!

Posted by: rc | August 15, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Beckham will most likely start because it's a knockout game, otherwise he may get an unplanned-for 30 minutes if the game is tied and all subs are used...and potentialy be set back several weeks

I think Gros is too influential on the wings and too average at left back not to play in the midfield...plus that allows Fred to move to the middle and Gomez and Moreno don't have to go 90.

Posted by: Matt | August 15, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

"Not that, um, anyone with an ounce of respect for their generous employer would, er, read a soccer blog during their, uh, work hours."

So if we check the Soccer Insider multiple times during the day, what does that say about our respect for our generous employers? :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | August 15, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

The problem with not using Vanney is that we take Gros out of the midfield (please abandon all thoughts of Simms as a left back). Gros has stayed wide, stretching opposing defenses. Olsen pinches in a little bit, and Fred pinches in a lot. Gros, however, stays on the flank and gives the rest of our attack more room. I think the key to our more lively attacking performances lately has been the space we've been getting with Olsen playing wider than usual and Gros hugging the line.

I think it's pure folly to not go at LA. Even if we should be the favorites, there's more pressure on them. They're at home, their season is in shambles, and this is looking more and more like their last hope for a trophy. They're also more disorganized; Gray and Jazic are both sure starters for them, and Gordon would have at least made an appearance. This is a team that will desperately want time to settle into the game, create a rhythm, and get some confidence. We need to get at them right from the start. If Xavier needs to sit again, I don't even know what they'll field as a back four. Klein, Harden, and Randolph are going to start, but they don't have other options.

I also think Yallop will save Beckham until halftime, so that's another reason to go out and get some goals straight from the start. With all this in mind, I think you've got to leave Gros at left midfield and play Vanney in the back. I think our emphasis has to be on demoralizing them with our potent attack. I'd rather tinker in the back than with the offense. Despite all the hatred for Vanney, I like our attack's chances against their makeshift defense as opposed to them going at a backline of Namoff-Boswell-McTavish-Vanney.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 15, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse

fios doesn't seem to have telefutura. I say 2-1 United in overtime.

Posted by: m | August 15, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

wow...
Got all that off your chest, Chest?
I agree though. Vanney and Gros stacked on the left will work well enough and Gros' crosses have been better recently.

Posted by: jgildea8 | August 15, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, I think Joe Doc is right except I think it'll be Vanney on the left and Gomez isn't starting. I like the idea of all the subs, but since when has Soehn used all his subs?

I think Vanney has to play, since while we might be shopping him around in a trade, if we can't play him with our starting left back out on a suspension, when can we play him? And what does that do to his trade value? I'm sure that Vanney will play tonight. And I'll eat Ben Olsen's beard trimmings if I'm wrong.

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | August 15, 2007 5:31 PM | Report abuse

" I think the key to our more lively attacking performances lately has been the space we've been getting with Olsen playing wider than usual and Gros hugging the line."

I concur. The addition of Burch to the equation can't be minimized. The overlapping of Burch, with Gros dropping, has really been a large part of that havoc that we've been creating. The utility of Gros dropping into coverage with his experience in back also can't be forgotten. It really allowed Burch to get involved in the attack without such a strong fear of the counter. The two basically take turns pushing forward and dropping back.

Unfortunately, I don't see as much of that with Vanney in back left. Hopefully Vanney pushes Mctavish to the right, and Namoff comes left. I have no recollection of a Namoff cross from the left, so hopefully he can be effective when pushing forward.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 15, 2007 6:01 PM | Report abuse

i agree i think gros is pretty much a wash as a left back, he is much much better as a winger. vanney is a mess in the back though, he constantly drops balls right to the opposing attacking mids at the top of the box, watch, he'll do it tonight if he plays. hey what about a 3-5-2 again!!!!!!
emilio knepe
gomez
gros olsen simms fred
mctavish boz namoff

Posted by: jay | August 15, 2007 6:01 PM | Report abuse

While he has played well in recent starts, I can't see United's defense going to shambles just because the incomparable Marc Burch is out. As they showed last week, DC can clearly dominate possession against these fools. LA doesn't have the GUTS to run at Vanney the way they should, so he'll become less of a liability when not in an FC Dallas style trackmeet.

McTavish Vanney Boz Namoff
Simms Benny Fred Gomito
Jaime Emilio

Gomez, Jaime start... 3-1 to the would-be kings of Anacostia. PRINT IT.

Posted by: d, dc | August 15, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

[ Hey Soy, keep the Simpsons wisecracks to yourself, mi amigo!

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 15, 2007 04:01 PM ]

Uh, can you elaborate? What exactly offended you--that I disagreed with your inclusion of Carroll? Or what? "Doh!" would be as far as I can go quoting the Simpsons. Or were you anticipating a wisecrack regarding Springfield? My wife is from Springfield. (Though, I do hum the Simpson's opening track when we drive to her parents' home... gets her every time;-D) Please clue me in...

Posted by: Soy United! | August 15, 2007 6:14 PM | Report abuse

emelio fred
simms olsen gomez gros
mctavish boswell vanney namoff

Here's the lineup I'd like to see, with Moreno coming in at the 60th minute (if he's healthy enough).

If Beckham is starting, I like Olsen as his shadow. I don't think Carroll is up for the challenge...maybe Simms.

I'd like to give Vanney a shot in the middle tonight, if he's healthy. I'd put McT and Namoff on the wings.

Unfortunately, any way you cut it, we have a REALLY slow backline. We talked about this all offseason, and we haven't addressed the situation. Why we didn't, at a minimum, invest in a few promising, athletic young defenders for the future is beyond me.

Posted by: jj | August 15, 2007 6:21 PM | Report abuse

We'll all be surprised when Jeff Carroll makes the start at left back. With D.C. United's recent luck in inexperienced defenders, he'll turn out to be the next Defender of the year!

Posted by: rc | August 15, 2007 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I fear Donovan may be our nemesis this match. We need to contain his speed by preventing service to him and not giving him room on the ball.

With all their cards, etc I fear no one else on the Gals at this point, with the exception of Beckham's free kicks around the box.

Let's hope we finish early and often!!!

Posted by: del | August 15, 2007 6:51 PM | Report abuse

So is the game gonna be streamed? I checked both superliga2007 and mlsnet and I cant seem to find it.....

Any help for watching the game???? Thanks

oh yeah, Becks at the 53rd minute with LA down by a goal....then it gets interesting.

Posted by: WOW | August 15, 2007 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Previous matches in this competition were streamed via dcunited.com, with English-language play-by-play by people such as Tony Limarzi and Dave Johnson. I hope that will be the case tonight, but dcunited.com doesn't provide any clear indication one way or the other.

Posted by: Go Penn State! | August 15, 2007 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Streaming video at superliga2007.com starting at 10 p.m.

Posted by: Goff | August 15, 2007 7:11 PM | Report abuse

I am on the site but cant find where the video is. Can you post a link oh great Goffster?

Great write-up in the Barra, that had to be a fun story to do. What did you do to not get that assignment?

Posted by: WOW | August 15, 2007 7:21 PM | Report abuse

If you can't be near a computer (superliga.com) or your tv provider doesn't offer TeleFutura, you might be able to get an over the air signal with rabbit ears or a better antenna.

TeleFutura broadcasts (as a low-power channel) out of Arlington, VA on ch 47.

Posted by: TV | August 15, 2007 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Video usually doesn't start till close to kickoff but they are showing the dynamo pachucha game now paste this into your media player.

mms://a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/11504/v0001/mlbmls.download.akamai.com/11504/2007/superliga/081407_superliga_pachou_gp_350.wmv

Posted by: dtd | August 15, 2007 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, stupid f-in extreme sports

Posted by: Kev | August 15, 2007 8:51 PM | Report abuse

We tried superliga website last night for the Houston game, but did not come on? How are people watching this? What links do you go to when you get to the Superliga site?

Posted by: Superliga | August 15, 2007 8:54 PM | Report abuse

go to mlsnet and click on the audio of the match report. It takes a minute to come up. The super Liga page never seemed to come on line.

Posted by: m | August 15, 2007 8:57 PM | Report abuse

the superliga video comes on in explorer, not in firefox, not sure why.

worked for me last night

Posted by: dtd | August 15, 2007 9:08 PM | Report abuse

I had no problems watching the match last night in Firefox on my Mac. The match never actually starts at 10pm, just wait till about 10 after and the link will show up.

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 15, 2007 9:12 PM | Report abuse

How can you not have Telefutura on Fios?? I had it before i upgraded to Fios. Shame on Verizon for not supplying it. If it powers on a regular cable in Arlington, why can it not power on a better reception as Fios?? I really dislike watching the game online.

Posted by: Garret | August 15, 2007 9:15 PM | Report abuse

might not matter to some, but on tv = spanish, via the web = english

Posted by: tv vs web | August 15, 2007 9:21 PM | Report abuse

this lineup spells disaster for DCU. you heard it here.

Posted by: Jay | August 15, 2007 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Jay, any lineup including Vanney spells disaster.

Tv vs Web, I would take TV over anything over the web any day. Just viewing the game on a big screen (beautiful LCD 50 inch) in spanish is without a doubt better than a 20 inch monitor on the computer in english, with a poor reception.

Posted by: Garret | August 15, 2007 9:25 PM | Report abuse

My friend who works for Verizon tells me they don't have plans to add Telefutura to the channel lineup anytime soon. He said the best thing for us to do is to submit requests to Verizon for it to be added. He said there is no official process in place for channel suggestions but that would certainly start the ball rolling. I asked him about this after the "buffering" message ruined my online viewing of the Club America-DCU match at www.superliga2007.com. Here is the form to place a request: http://netservices.verizon.net/portal/link/help/email
(you will need your FIOS account user name)

Posted by: FIOS | August 15, 2007 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Is Gomez available to come in as a sub, or is he sitting this game out?

Posted by: emanon | August 15, 2007 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Here's what I would do:

.........Perkins...........

Namoff Boswell McTavish Vanney

..........Simms............

Olsen...Jaime...Fred...Gros

..........Emilio...........

Good thing I'm not the coach, eh?

Posted by: morphit | August 15, 2007 9:38 PM | Report abuse

I, too, would like to see Moreno play some Center Mid or perhaps just Attacking mid. His vision is above others and he just seems like he would do great there.

Posted by: Garret | August 15, 2007 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Beckham will be captaining the Galaxy tonight what a slap in the face of Landon Donovan

Posted by: Rob | August 15, 2007 9:47 PM | Report abuse

So the online Verizon form just sends you back an auto-response and when you reply to that, you get another meaningless auto-response. Time for Plan B: call the Fiber Solutions Center at (888) 553-1555 between 8am-6:30pm Mon-Fri. I'll try that tomorrow.

Posted by: FIOS | August 15, 2007 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Moreno's strength is his ability to hold the ball up top and lay it off to incoming midfielders for the shot. I just don't think he's fast enough to play in the midfield right now.

Posted by: rc | August 15, 2007 9:54 PM | Report abuse

that rules!

Posted by: slap in the face | August 15, 2007 9:55 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Carroll deserves the spot over Simms. I think right now it's for Simms to lose the starting DM. We'll see what happens, but I'm afraid we're going to see more of the Carroll that gave Simms a chance in the first place.

Posted by: RJ | August 15, 2007 10:00 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to watch the game online. Can someone post an exact link when it becomes available at superliga.com? Thanks.

Posted by: Ty | August 15, 2007 10:01 PM | Report abuse

mlsnet.com Click on the "watch live"

Posted by: Josh | August 15, 2007 10:03 PM | Report abuse

TY I got the game online here: http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/t106/

dave johnson is calling it.

Posted by: Online | August 15, 2007 10:04 PM | Report abuse

you can go to mlsnet.com and press "watch live"

Posted by: rc | August 15, 2007 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Where are the fans?

Posted by: huh? | August 15, 2007 10:06 PM | Report abuse

>>>I just don't think he's fast enough to play in the midfield right now.

but that's the Ballack spot for slow old guys

Posted by: morphit | August 15, 2007 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow, is it really that empty there?

Posted by: Niv | August 15, 2007 10:06 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering the same thing about the fans. Hellish LA traffic, maybe? No metro to bring you to the game out in Carson, I guess. Dagger.

Posted by: tmc | August 15, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Wow, the HDC looks empty

Posted by: Andrew | August 15, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

That attendance is pitiful.

Posted by: Josh | August 15, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Ok, do the links in the flash application scroller thing on mlsnet.com work for anyone? Honestly, I have the newest version of flash and the 'watch live' or 'vote now' or whatever links _never_ work.

Firefox 2.0.0.6.

Finally got the link when it came up on dcunited.com

Posted by: Colm | August 15, 2007 10:09 PM | Report abuse

P.S. Is Donovan gonna be salty that Becks took the captain's armband?

Posted by: tmc | August 15, 2007 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Come in a taxi, you could have come in a taxi

I know its LA, but where is everyone??

Posted by: Kev | August 15, 2007 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Totally embarrassing there is no one there!! Really surprised to see Becks with the Captains arm band...

Posted by: Crowd Control | August 15, 2007 10:11 PM | Report abuse

c'mon Luci!

Posted by: Glenn | August 15, 2007 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Throw in for Real Madrid huh?

Posted by: Gburg | August 15, 2007 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Were their 12 fans actually just singing "can you hear United" sing? Your own stadium is empty ding-a-lings, and its a 5 hr flight for any of us to get there.

Posted by: Kev | August 15, 2007 10:17 PM | Report abuse

MLSLive webcast: Did they just say "throw in Real Madrid?"

Posted by: Taylor | August 15, 2007 10:17 PM | Report abuse

In some defense to the LA fans, a 7 p.m. start in SoCal traffic is a big problem. Lots of people outside the stadium. Nonetheless, not a big crowd tonight.

Posted by: Goff | August 15, 2007 10:17 PM | Report abuse

OK, between the pitiful crowd and the turf, this is a total embarrassment for MLS. If U.S. soccer haters want evidence that the sport is going to fail here, they'll be warming up the DVRs. Let's hope they continue to play at a high level.

Is Goff going to be commenting on this thread? I'd love to hear what his thoughts are on the crowd--are they just arriving late?

Posted by: Turf Wars | August 15, 2007 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Yeah - the guy arrives and immediately gets the captain's slot?! What does that say for LandyCakes?!

Anyone else having trouble with the Internet feed?

Posted by: DE | August 15, 2007 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Not that Donovan's reign as captain has been successful, but shouldn't Beckham have practiced more than twice with the squad before getting the armband?

And is Joe Cannon turning into Inigo Montoya before our eyes? I think Xavier is rubbing off on his grooming habits already...

Posted by: MK | August 15, 2007 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Now THAT would have been a way to get the scoring title...

Posted by: Record breaker... | August 15, 2007 10:20 PM | Report abuse

awesome shot by moreno! Not good for Donovan to lose the captains armband....

Posted by: m | August 15, 2007 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Jaime trying to channel his countryman, Etcheverry, on that one ...

Great idea, almost worked.

Posted by: tmc | August 15, 2007 10:20 PM | Report abuse

The issue of fans not able to get to HDC in time for a weeknight kickoff raises concerns about the trend of building stadiums far outside the city (like in Dallas) in areas that are not well-served by reliable public transportation. The Metro-friendly location of RFK is a huge asset to DCU.

Or it could be the tickets just didn't sell, in which case the Galaxy have no one to blame but themselves...

Posted by: Metro | August 15, 2007 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Ok - got it going...

Posted by: DE | August 15, 2007 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Jaime nearly scores the same goal that put Goldenballs on the map v Palace (96?)... so close!

Posted by: Kev | August 15, 2007 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Is the online feed utterly horrible for anyone else? Dropping in and out, jerky video?

Posted by: Colm | August 15, 2007 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I see all the Galaxative fans are dressed as green seats tonight!!!

Posted by: Andy In Asheville | August 15, 2007 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Kev: I believe that goal was against Wimbledon.

Posted by: Colm | August 15, 2007 10:22 PM | Report abuse

finally some brazil in the center

Posted by: morphit | August 15, 2007 10:24 PM | Report abuse

DC is really attacking tonight!

Posted by: Jacked on Red Bull | August 15, 2007 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Goff - Any insight as to why the Galaxy/Yallop/Lalas decided to shrink the width of the pitch there?

It is a shame to see that space not used. I mean, I'd think they'd want it to be as big as possible to take advantage of Becks' distribution and Donovan's speed.

Posted by: tmc | August 15, 2007 10:24 PM | Report abuse

What's with the 80's era pink and green special effects....oh, that's the feed crapping out I guess

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Good memory Colm. I got the year and ground right at least ;-)

Posted by: Kev | August 15, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Apparently Becks is playing defensive midfield tonight, channeling Pablo Maestroni

Posted by: Two Footed | August 15, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

The online feed looks more like an old Nintendo game - someone needs to remove the cartridge and blow into it for a few.

BECKHAM WITH THE DEATH-TACKLE!

Posted by: MK | August 15, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Beckham is a moron

Posted by: Glenn | August 15, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

I was about to say Becks was not mixing it up a lot...

Posted by: Josh | August 15, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Wow, crazy challenge by Beckham...trying to injure himself?

Posted by: RK | August 15, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

who would have thought, becks yellow card before his first freekick goal

Posted by: ry | August 15, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

beckham should've seen red for that tackle, or two-foot stomp, which would be a more accurate description. he took out 2 guys!

Posted by: rva | August 15, 2007 10:28 PM | Report abuse

ref's got cojones, giving golden boy a yellow

Posted by: morphit | August 15, 2007 10:28 PM | Report abuse

tmc: If I remember correctly, when Yallop took charge of LA, he wanted to replicate the field size he and Donovan had used before.

Unfortunately, Yallop and Donovan had worked together in San Jose's Spartan Stadium. Very narrow.

Posted by: B.A. | August 15, 2007 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that was an ugly "tackle" from Becks.

It would be nice to have Burch or Gomez for these set pieces.

Posted by: Andrew | August 15, 2007 10:29 PM | Report abuse

DAMN YOU VANNEY!!! Give away number one tonight...

Posted by: Gburg | August 15, 2007 10:29 PM | Report abuse

MK is spot on with Joe Cannon/Inigo Montoya

Posted by: Princess Bride | August 15, 2007 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Two-footed studs-up tackle... so easy a caveman can do it.

Posted by: MK | August 15, 2007 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Olsen won't be with us much longer tonight...

Posted by: Kev | August 15, 2007 10:33 PM | Report abuse

How many times is Carrol going to give the ball away in the midfield tonight!!?!?

CHRIST!

Posted by: Clyde Simms | August 15, 2007 10:34 PM | Report abuse

you think He's going to ask for His shirt back after that payback tackle by Ben?

Posted by: Glenn | August 15, 2007 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I can't stand this Carroll for Simms change. How many more times does BC need to prove to us that he is a glorified defender not suitable to fill the offensive role required of him in a 442? He was great last season paired with Olsen in the midfield where his job was mainly to clean up any mess through the middle and get it to the guys that can create, but he's a dud in the 442 when he's expected to do anything related to getting the ball upfield. Simms is leaps and bounds better here, and the difference is undeniable with CS on the field over BC under our current tactics. BC sits until either drastic improvements or Simms goes down.

Posted by: RJ | August 15, 2007 10:34 PM | Report abuse

dc needs some friggin possession

Posted by: morphit | August 15, 2007 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Thanks BA - It kills me to see the unused space on the sides of the pitch there at the HDC.

Posted by: tmc | August 15, 2007 10:35 PM | Report abuse

how was that deliberate? McTavish had his eyes closed.

Posted by: Glenn | August 15, 2007 10:35 PM | Report abuse

uh oh

Posted by: Josh | August 15, 2007 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Yup...never gonna hear the end of that one...

Posted by: Niv | August 15, 2007 10:36 PM | Report abuse

That was a nice gol

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Well, that'll be on SportsCenter and all the talking heads shows.

Posted by: B.A. | August 15, 2007 10:36 PM | Report abuse

F*ck

Posted by: Nightmare | August 15, 2007 10:36 PM | Report abuse

all Perkins had to do was stand still. He was guessing like it was a PK.

Posted by: Josh | August 15, 2007 10:36 PM | Report abuse

oh, THAT David Beckham.

Posted by: northzax | August 15, 2007 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Troy looks pissed.

Gotta hurt to be the first.

Posted by: Sean | August 15, 2007 10:37 PM | Report abuse

I am surprised BSPN didn't break in for a love shot of the free kick ala Bonds.

Posted by: Josh | August 15, 2007 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Have to say, that was an absolute gem.

Bristol just had an accident in its pants

Posted by: Kev | August 15, 2007 10:38 PM | Report abuse

wall flinched away from the ball

Posted by: morphit | August 15, 2007 10:39 PM | Report abuse

live shot...not love. Although love makes sense when it comes to ESPN and Becks

Posted by: Josh | August 15, 2007 10:39 PM | Report abuse

How many frigggin times can they replay that freekick?!

MF!

Posted by: DE | August 15, 2007 10:39 PM | Report abuse

its down as a foul on devon on match tracker

Posted by: Kris | August 15, 2007 10:39 PM | Report abuse

I guess Perkins will be part of history forever.

Posted by: Friendship Heights | August 15, 2007 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Tell me why I was thinking "LA goal" as soon as that foul got called? Hopefully our better football will prevail over the dead ball advantage they've acquired...

Posted by: Taylor | August 15, 2007 10:39 PM | Report abuse

How long will Xavier goes postal (physically) on a ref?

Posted by: Josh | August 15, 2007 10:40 PM | Report abuse

sorry barra brava, but bravo becks. at the end of the day, that's why i root for the guy after all the effort not too. guys got a real talent for stepping up, esp. with story line and drama

Posted by: eric | August 15, 2007 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Nice shot, but Perks was caught guessing.

Posted by: CY | August 15, 2007 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Can Beckham be all-time freekick taker? We'll let them have Olsen as all-time fouler.

Posted by: MK | August 15, 2007 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Andrew | August 15, 2007 10:40 PM | Report abuse

no PK???

Posted by: RK | August 15, 2007 10:41 PM | Report abuse

hopefully beckham will have to rest the ankle for the second half and he won't have another shot at any of those freekicks? wow

Posted by: pat | August 15, 2007 10:42 PM | Report abuse

why do these idiots insists on showing us the stats while the game is going on and people are screaming in the background?!?!? Do they think this is a baseball game?

we need to cash one of these chances in. Emilio needs to get invloved. Jaime is working very hard.

Posted by: Glenn | August 15, 2007 10:43 PM | Report abuse

>>>By covering, I mean moving away from like a scared schoolgirl. Horrible goalkeeping.

god forbid the keeper cover the back corner on free kick

Posted by: morphit | August 15, 2007 10:43 PM | Report abuse

hey dc! yer highlights are on ESPN RIGHT NOW!!! oh wait, that's beckham.

hahahahahahaha

Posted by: eric | August 15, 2007 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Carroll gives the ball away AGAIN! WTF! is that dude color blind or what!

Posted by: DJC | August 15, 2007 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Carroll has got to go...

Posted by: DE | August 15, 2007 10:45 PM | Report abuse

get carroll off the field now! hes giving away the ball way too easily.

Posted by: Kris | August 15, 2007 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Is it me or does Vaney look like Will Ferrell?

Posted by: Ol' Shin uard | August 15, 2007 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Or Joe Dirt.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | August 15, 2007 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Harmes needs a boot upside the head

Posted by: Josh | August 15, 2007 10:48 PM | Report abuse

We simply cannot control the ball in the midfield right now--or anywhere really. I know he's not 100 percent, but Tommy needs to get Gomez in at the half. (ha, there he is.)

Posted by: DJC | August 15, 2007 10:48 PM | Report abuse

With Buddle on the end of that cross it was never going to be a goal.

Posted by: MK | August 15, 2007 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Gomito warming up was a nice sight. Who does he come in for? I'd like to see him switch in for Carroll and have Olsen play DM.

Posted by: tmc | August 15, 2007 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Who thinks Carroll's days are numbered under Soehn?

Posted by: J | August 15, 2007 10:50 PM | Report abuse

drop ben back, get carroll off the field and put gomez in.

Posted by: Kris | August 15, 2007 10:50 PM | Report abuse

God, I miss Burch.

Posted by: Sean | August 15, 2007 10:51 PM | Report abuse

This FK was sick! Poor Troy..there is nothing he could have done anyway! He has been posterized :-)

Posted by: Charles | August 15, 2007 10:51 PM | Report abuse

How is that not a diving card?

Posted by: Josh | August 15, 2007 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you Kris... I can't see Carroll playing for this team in any meaningful competitions much longer. And he has a pretty hefty salary. Dump him

Posted by: DJC | August 15, 2007 10:52 PM | Report abuse

And Martino didn't get a card for diving because....

Posted by: 5280 | August 15, 2007 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Good decision ref, silly challenge from mctavish

Posted by: Kev | August 15, 2007 10:52 PM | Report abuse

pretty shot by spiceboy and all, but words cannot describe how much i hate greg vanney and brian carroll right now.

I've seen vanney foul up 2 THROW INS.

Posted by: d, dc | August 15, 2007 10:53 PM | Report abuse

"The goal was on the side Perkins was covering. By covering, I mean moving away from like a scared schoolgirl. Horrible goalkeeping."

Perkins barely moved, but I'm not sure a world-class keeper would have been able to move much. I thought the shot was unstoppable.

Posted by: Go Penn State! | August 15, 2007 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Clyde Simms now!

Posted by: silentbob | August 15, 2007 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Ref decided against penalty because the ball was too far away from martino. Not because of the dive. That was a foul

Posted by: Kev | August 15, 2007 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Let's give some props to the ref for not awarding Martino a PK. For all the (often-justified) MLS ref bashing that goes on, this was a good no-call. First, he was in great position to make the call - that's half the battle right there. Second, he made a correct call at game speed that many others could only make via replay.

Posted by: referee | August 15, 2007 10:55 PM | Report abuse

please take out Carroll, switch him with Olsen, and Gomez in center mid

Posted by: morphit | August 15, 2007 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Who is in the broadcast booth with Dave Johnson?

Posted by: Go Penn State! | August 15, 2007 10:56 PM | Report abuse

They only thing you can criticize Troy for on the goal is that he second guessed himself. If Becks had put that kick over the wall and to the other corner, there is not a damn thing you can do.

But Troy lined up his wall properly and then tried to cover the side of the net his wall was supposed to defend. One step in that direction and then he's never getting back to stop the kick. He might, and I stress MIGHT, have had a shot if he stuck to the side where he was lined up. Still was perfectly placed by Becks.

Posted by: tmc | August 15, 2007 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else out there following the game solely from comments on this blog and others? It's a bizarre way to follow a game, and yet I find myself doing it.

Posted by: umbc | August 15, 2007 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Could Perkins have been any more intimidated on that FK? He was totally guessing out there! Beckham's free kick was right at him and it was slow. Troy ole'd that one.

Posted by: DuPont Mike | August 15, 2007 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Alrite, we need to pull this out. Beckham got his goal. Good. Now DCU pull one out so I can prepare for the finals at estadio RFK. With the attendance at this game it is in the best interest of MLS and Pachuca that la galaxy lose this game. If people are not in the stands, I would like to know if a good part of the LA area is watching the game on tv. Either that or there at the beach or in traffic.

Posted by: thekop | August 15, 2007 10:59 PM | Report abuse

"OK, Just a thought: How pissed will Don Garber be if the Golden Ankle gets hurt on a Wednesday in front of a half-empty stadium and can't play against sold out NY?"

Are they really sold out at the NJ swamp?

I think that gets at why there are so many empty seats at the HDC tonight. Why should people in Southern California brave rush-hour traffic on a weekday evening, when they will have numerous other opportunities to see Beckham et al. before the season is over? By contrast, fans in each of the other MLS cities will have only one or two opportunities to catch this traveling circus. Philip Anschutz has really presented the league's other investor-operators with a gift.

Posted by: Go Penn State! | August 15, 2007 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I'll give you 3 guesses as to what led sportscenter...

Posted by: Kev | August 15, 2007 11:02 PM | Report abuse

i hope soehn sees what everyone else has seen in the past couple games, that simms is so much more effective than carroll. i don't even understand why he got the start today.

Posted by: pat | August 15, 2007 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Wow, That was a pretty frenetic first half. DC really got unhinged by the goal. Clearly Carroll and Vanney are struggling, but Fred disappeared for much of that half as well. Although, all those give aways in the midfield probably had something to do with that.

As for the goal. I can't put that on Perkins. I don't think he's a great keeper, but no one would have gotten to that shot, and few would have made a play on it. I would like to see DC upgrade at the keeper spot before next year.

Need an early goal or it's going to be a long night.

Posted by: DJC | August 15, 2007 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Technical question: Can you watch the game on mlslive using Firefox? Or do you have to use Internet Explorer or something else?

Posted by: fell's point | August 15, 2007 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Brian Carroll is a disaster out there. Moreno the only bright spot so far. Can Gomez save DC???

Posted by: stairs | August 15, 2007 11:04 PM | Report abuse

There was a huge earthquake off the coast of Peru--tsunamis are predicted.

Posted by: Buzz Kill | August 15, 2007 11:07 PM | Report abuse

First half over I think it's clear BC has to go. Beckham puts one in....bound to happen eventually. Really unsatisfied with the no call on the blatant Harden shove on Jaime in the box somewhere around the 35th minute though I should say it wasn't the no-call to end all other no-calls. Right now, I'd say Gomito on for BC at the half and perhaps Simms for Olsen at the hour mark if Benny has emptied the tank (which he tends to happen). I like where we are in the game minus the free kick, but we're going to need some more offensive force out of the midfield. I'd say this one is definitely not of reach especially considering LA is bound to tire rather swiftly if we can push them in the second half.

Posted by: RJ | August 15, 2007 11:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching it in Firefox right now, Fell's Point.

Posted by: Colm | August 15, 2007 11:08 PM | Report abuse

fell's point - I am watching in Firefox via the link provided at http://www.dcunited.com

Posted by: firefox | August 15, 2007 11:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching with firefox via windows media player.

Posted by: morphit | August 15, 2007 11:09 PM | Report abuse

There's our man!

Posted by: DJC | August 15, 2007 11:10 PM | Report abuse

1st sub - Gomez for Vanney

Posted by: emanon | August 15, 2007 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Why did we trade for Vanney again? Is it me or does he give the ball away everytime he touches it...

he's supposed to be the vet in the back and he's looking like a rookie.

Posted by: FDC | August 15, 2007 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Ah fer F@ck's sake.

Posted by: Good Night | August 15, 2007 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I need another drink.

Posted by: Colm | August 15, 2007 11:12 PM | Report abuse

BRIAN CARROLL!!!!!!!!!!! He is the bane of our existence.

Posted by: Gburg | August 15, 2007 11:12 PM | Report abuse

beckham to donovan - get used to it

Posted by: eric | August 15, 2007 11:12 PM | Report abuse

sigh...

Posted by: MK | August 15, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

What the f**k was Gros doing?

Posted by: Kev | August 15, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Wow... have to agree with everyone who is saying that DC has to get rid of Carroll. Lost the ball and goal by Landycakes.

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

great move Soehn, taking out the left back really came in handy there

Posted by: morphit | August 15, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Turn out the lights...the party's over.

What a misplay by Gros!

Posted by: Josh | August 15, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

time for bed.

how do you leave their two most dangerous players wide open?

Posted by: Glenn | August 15, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Brian Carroll shooting for a historic zero on the goff rating scale.....

Posted by: stairs | August 15, 2007 11:14 PM | Report abuse

hey! who was the DC player with that sick stepover!?! oh, that was defense?

Posted by: eric | August 15, 2007 11:15 PM | Report abuse

No,no,no. They can't win. The upper deck is empty. How can this happen when they only have 11 and a half men (versus the 12th man DCU has). I would rather be watching a dogfight in Southern Virginia with my boy from Atlanta.

Posted by: thekop | August 15, 2007 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone gets above a 6, I'd be stunned.

Posted by: rc | August 15, 2007 11:15 PM | Report abuse

dc hasn't marked anybody tightly all year, so why in hell try to cover with three backs?

Posted by: morphit | August 15, 2007 11:15 PM | Report abuse

LUCIANOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by: MK | August 15, 2007 11:16 PM | Report abuse

What a save...

Posted by: RK | August 15, 2007 11:16 PM | Report abuse

One of the funniest moments of the season was the hit that went out on Olsen after he tackled Beckham. It's clear that's Harmes' job now -- take out anyone that touches Beckham... might as well, it gives him something to do.

Posted by: RB | August 15, 2007 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Darn what a save by Cannon...

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:16 PM | Report abuse

goodnight cruel world. if we cant score on that chance, it aint happening.

Posted by: d, dc | August 15, 2007 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Montoya comes up big...

Posted by: GK | August 15, 2007 11:16 PM | Report abuse

OK, Now that this game is over...

Does this signal a rebirth for LA or is it just a flash in the pan? Will they be able to rebound and sneak into the playoffs? Last time I checked they had, like five games in hand...

Posted by: DJC | August 15, 2007 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh, you can always trust univision/telefutura for a good rack shot!

Posted by: Kev | August 15, 2007 11:18 PM | Report abuse

who was that random hot non Posh woman they just showed? HOT.

Posted by: jon | August 15, 2007 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Cannon is coming up BIG

Posted by: Josh | August 15, 2007 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Cannon is on fire this half

Posted by: RK | August 15, 2007 11:18 PM | Report abuse

I just broke two things on my coffee table. *Sigh*

Posted by: Gburg | August 15, 2007 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Please, why can't we finish against Inigo?

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:19 PM | Report abuse

I guess the producer has seen enough soccer...

Posted by: Josh | August 15, 2007 11:20 PM | Report abuse

CANNON 2 - EMILIO 0

robbery twice

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 15, 2007 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Once they feel the game is slowing down, they gotta show the eye candy.

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:20 PM | Report abuse

The Telefutura guys have bumped the programing up to TV-MA with their pronunciation of Peter Vagenas' last name - at least there's a little comic relief.

Posted by: MK | August 15, 2007 11:20 PM | Report abuse

the schedule will continue to wear them down. This tourney is their season. And other teams will play smarter defense and hit Becks more.

Martino is a bigger diver than Ruiz.

Posted by: Glenn | August 15, 2007 11:21 PM | Report abuse

I have so little love in my body for Carroll right now. I know it was a great ball from Becks to Donovan and that Gros could've done much better, but it seems to spite me the soccer gods destined the play to come off a weak give away from BC in the midfield.

That, and Cannon doing his I'll-sporadically-have-an-amazing-game thing right now.

Posted by: RJ | August 15, 2007 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Martino complain that Fred fell like a wet noodle. He can flop with the best too... hypocrite.

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:22 PM | Report abuse

re: Cannon--it's gotta be the porn star mutton chops. Someone throw Emilio a razor.

Hey Gomez--we're wearing black.

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 15, 2007 11:22 PM | Report abuse

One thing about Becks...he is super composed on the ball out there.

Posted by: JOsh | August 15, 2007 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Crap foul call on Olsen. Hope this isn't number 2 - Well done Troy.

Posted by: tmc | August 15, 2007 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Namoff has been oddly off tonight...

FREEKICKAREYOUEFFINGKIDDINGME??!!

thank you perkins...

Posted by: d, dc | August 15, 2007 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Perkins!!!!!!

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:23 PM | Report abuse

POY gets what he deserves.

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 15, 2007 11:25 PM | Report abuse

We are getting a bit of revenge on Martino tonight...

Posted by: RK | August 15, 2007 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Martino, RUB SOME DIRT ON IT!

PoTY indeed.

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Carroll finally did something good :)

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Carroll might really get that zero rating

Posted by: Kev | August 15, 2007 11:25 PM | Report abuse

jOsh... who wouldn't be composed with a midfield terror like brian carroll marshalling you...

(who just won back a bit of respect by shmacking kyle martino)

Posted by: d, dc | August 15, 2007 11:25 PM | Report abuse

no doubt deserved

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 15, 2007 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Half the country is about to switch the TV off... Goldenballs is done.

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Jesus... That tackle from carroll was about five minutes late. I think his player rating has to be in negative numbers at this point.

Gomez ain't really on it tonight is he? bummer....

Posted by: DJC | August 15, 2007 11:26 PM | Report abuse

PENALTY!!!!!!!!!!!!THE REF IS A TOSSER.

Posted by: thekop | August 15, 2007 11:27 PM | Report abuse

is becks trying to take our FKs too?

Posted by: d, dc | August 15, 2007 11:27 PM | Report abuse

That was close to being in the box. Right call though.

Posted by: Josh | August 15, 2007 11:28 PM | Report abuse

PK?!? No, on the line.

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:28 PM | Report abuse

how is this not a PK? clearly in the box

Posted by: Glenn | August 15, 2007 11:28 PM | Report abuse

sublime trap by Olsen

Posted by: DCU | August 15, 2007 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Gomez is really off...

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:29 PM | Report abuse

64 minutes, one goal, one assist. Not bad...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 15, 2007 11:29 PM | Report abuse

DCU's goalkeeper is not good.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 11:30 PM | Report abuse

nuevo anklecam... por telefutura

Posted by: d, dc | August 15, 2007 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Beckham's defensive role was to run parallel to the ball carrier until someone with a smaller salary came by to make a tackle. It's going to tougher to break down the defense... but it is the Galaxy.

Posted by: MK | August 15, 2007 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget the yellow card...

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:31 PM | Report abuse

25 more minutes of telefutura's ankle coverage

Posted by: Kev | August 15, 2007 11:31 PM | Report abuse

They should have taken Carrol back out

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 15, 2007 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or is Ben Olsen having a bad game?

Posted by: Mark | August 15, 2007 11:31 PM | Report abuse

The foul was outside the box... JUST. OK, Guy Kepene is going to come on and score three goals. So... who's playing defense now? This could get very ugly.

Posted by: DJC | August 15, 2007 11:31 PM | Report abuse

I have mad ball skills!

Posted by: Fred | August 15, 2007 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Preface: I curse a lot.

I'm cursing way more than I normally do.

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 15, 2007 11:32 PM | Report abuse

No, DCU's defense is no good. That and we have strikers who would rather eat a happy meal than score a goal.

Posted by: thekop | August 15, 2007 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Why is Carroll still on. Is Tommy trying to leave Carroll on long enough to get a 0 from Goff?

Posted by: Gburg | August 15, 2007 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Great cross by Fred, but no finish like always...

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, How is Carroll still in this game? Everyone is off tonight--including the coaching staff.

Posted by: DJC | August 15, 2007 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Raggedy Ann is coming on, Yallop is taking the piss

Posted by: Kev | August 15, 2007 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Cobi Jones is coming on.

Doesn't it seem like everytime DC attacks, all of LAG is back defending?

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:35 PM | Report abuse

our turn to kick the sh!t out of cobi jones

Posted by: d, dc | August 15, 2007 11:35 PM | Report abuse

If the strikers are eating happy meals we would like a big mac with a 20pc nugget. Can someone have that waiting for us at the end of the game? Thanks.

Posted by: DCU DEFENSE | August 15, 2007 11:36 PM | Report abuse

LAFF

My wife just came in and asked if Cobi Jones was a woman.

Freaking Hilareous!

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 15, 2007 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Not that it needs to be said, but B Carroll really is struggling and should not see the field unless their is an injury crisis on this team.

Olsen also picks a bad time to have a stinker.

Posted by: A Rickey | August 15, 2007 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Has Gomez completed a pass to a DCU player tonight?

Posted by: other Gburg | August 15, 2007 11:37 PM | Report abuse

I concur, Olsen is not having a good game tonight.

Question: Who is having a good game tonight for us?

Posted by: DJC | August 15, 2007 11:37 PM | Report abuse

FYI: Cobi Jones is still alive. Maybe its a soft j, Cobi Yones.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Holy crap where was that cross going?

Posted by: RK | August 15, 2007 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Nice move by Moreno, but what the f**k was that cross about?

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:37 PM | Report abuse

David Beckham uses steroids.

Pass it on.

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 15, 2007 11:37 PM | Report abuse

"Don't forget the yellow card..."

What is the significance of the yellow card at this point?

Posted by: Go Penn State! | August 15, 2007 11:37 PM | Report abuse

DC has no shape

Posted by: morphit | August 15, 2007 11:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm texting Josh Gros for man of the match right now... lol.

Posted by: DJC | August 15, 2007 11:38 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what Ray Hudson would be saying about the women they are showing. ;)

Posted by: Garret | August 15, 2007 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Bunkers are for Martinos.

Maybe ESPN's soccer ratings would be better if their cameras also took more gratuitous shots of hotties in the crowd.

Gros as an option for MOTM?!? Telefutura is officially on crack.

Posted by: silentbob | August 15, 2007 11:38 PM | Report abuse

More eye candy... since Goldenballs is not playing anymore, gotta keep the viewers interested...

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Emilio is the only one on tongiht. Moreno isn't looking bad. Everyone else sucks

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 15, 2007 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Josh Gros was just listed as a possible choice for player of the match on Telefutura!!

He did play a big role in the second goal...

Posted by: MK | August 15, 2007 11:39 PM | Report abuse

A soft j? Like Yogging? (anchorman) Oooh, another hottie. I love this telecast.

Posted by: EssEff | August 15, 2007 11:39 PM | Report abuse

i like hot chicks, but geez, can we see the game!?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 11:39 PM | Report abuse

wow, Carroll smoked that one.

Oooh, ANOTHER hottie.

sorry guys

Posted by: EssEff | August 15, 2007 11:40 PM | Report abuse

How ironic would it have been if Carroll would have scored on that shot?

Posted by: DJC | August 15, 2007 11:40 PM | Report abuse

soehn, hmm

Posted by: jay | August 15, 2007 11:40 PM | Report abuse

So who does Soehn put in for our 3rd sub? If he uses it at all...

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:41 PM | Report abuse

this is so infuriating on so many levels right now

stop the jailbait cam, please somebody call dateline

Posted by: d, dc | August 15, 2007 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Telefutura clearly more interested in the Jugs of the Match

Posted by: Kev | August 15, 2007 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Mira las chicas, papi!

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:42 PM | Report abuse

does Gros really earn a mention as MotM?! and Cannon is keeping the Gay-Laxatives in the game. we got 15 minutes to wear them down, unless we keep passing to the white shirts.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 11:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm Chris Hansen....from Dateline.

Posted by: Chris Hansen | August 15, 2007 11:42 PM | Report abuse

if he stays true to pattern, he'll put in Mr. Ed for Namoff.

Posted by: morphit | August 15, 2007 11:43 PM | Report abuse

What was the point of that sign?

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:43 PM | Report abuse

superliga coverage? or superchica coverage?

Posted by: ry | August 15, 2007 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Soehn realizes he has a third sub. He hasn't used one all year.

OK, now they're showing UGLY gurls. What's up with that?

Posted by: DJC | August 15, 2007 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Is Beckham available Aug 29 for the final? More importantly, is the tech on the jugz cam available? That guy has tremendous talent....oooh, except for that last one.

Posted by: EssEff | August 15, 2007 11:44 PM | Report abuse

great, now they are showing ugly chicks.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 11:44 PM | Report abuse

HOW WAS THAT NOT A PK? BLOODY HELL!

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Soehn has four subs.

(not that it will make any difference)

Posted by: silentbob | August 15, 2007 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Perkins just broke Pavon's ankle with his skills.

Posted by: MK | August 15, 2007 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Aren't there actually 4 subs in superliga - so we could bring in two more subs, but whom?

Posted by: emanon | August 15, 2007 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Worse hair...Kpene or Xavier? I say Kpene

Posted by: Josh | August 15, 2007 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Can Perkins play forward?

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Kpene really impressive in the box

Posted by: morphit | August 15, 2007 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Guy Kepene makes DaMarcus Beasley look like a linebacker. He is a tiny, tiny man...

Posted by: DJC | August 15, 2007 11:47 PM | Report abuse

love the face drag

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Harmse? Or Seth Rogen?

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 15, 2007 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Was that really a foul?

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Gomez gets a point for that move...

Posted by: morphit | August 15, 2007 11:50 PM | Report abuse

I bet Kpene can do a convincing Berries and Cream Starburst song and dance with that hair.

Posted by: MK | August 15, 2007 11:50 PM | Report abuse

The hottie cam guy is now stretching...

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Damn, who is that mic on? That guy is spazzing.

Posted by: EssEff | August 15, 2007 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Fred is a beautiful player, I could watch hime all day. So why is he mostly ineffective?

Posted by: likes fred | August 15, 2007 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Hey anon, I'd agree with you if there were 22 chicks running around out there. You've got your multicultural man meat, let us have this.

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 15, 2007 11:52 PM | Report abuse

moose for fred

pure genius

Posted by: morphit | August 15, 2007 11:52 PM | Report abuse

G'night

Posted by: JOsh | August 15, 2007 11:52 PM | Report abuse

- for the crowd shots - how about a little bit of equal opportunity; I'm sure there are some guys in the crowd that us female viewers could enjoy seeing (or just another shirtless post game interview would be nice) -

Blame the Machista culture. My wife has the same issue with all the spanish language soccer boardcasts.

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Embarrassing performance. I believe the story of the night is blueballs. How can men survive with so many pictures of SoCal women? I will see you all at the MLS cup when DC plays the Galaxy and we whoop them 14-1. The one being a David Beckham free kick.

Posted by: thekop | August 15, 2007 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Is Carroll seriously going to go the full 90 here? Tommy... ?

Posted by: DJC | August 15, 2007 11:53 PM | Report abuse

way to delay the game Abel "test positive for a banned substance" Xavier

Posted by: Niv | August 15, 2007 11:54 PM | Report abuse

At least staying up last night was more exciting... This is just embarassing.

Posted by: Gburg | August 15, 2007 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh man. I bet MLS FO just peed a little thinking about Becks lifting the Superliga Trophy.

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 15, 2007 11:56 PM | Report abuse

This may be the most depressing United match of the year. Garrr... I hope it get them motivated for the rest of the season. I want to see them win the MLS Cup in our home, but right now I seriously doubt that can happen.

Posted by: DJC | August 15, 2007 11:56 PM | Report abuse

So how long before we see the Superliga doesn't matter posts?

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 15, 2007 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Soehn is killing me. He went to 3 in the back too quickly. Wait at least til the 60th minute to make a desperate change like that. He should have started Gomez like the Galaxy started Beckham. Ugh. This team has 3 wins in the league. DC is so freakin' inconsistent.

Posted by: Mark | August 15, 2007 11:57 PM | Report abuse

You know, we have two minutes before the int'l transfer period closes...

Posted by: B.A. | August 15, 2007 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for your sense of humor in these hard times, fellas.

Posted by: rc | August 15, 2007 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Take off the red shoes, Dorothy, unless you can score a goal!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Yo, Superliga doesn't matter.

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 15, 2007 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Cannon gets a 9 easy. No question on MOTM

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 15, 2007 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait until the galaxy come to DC for the cup. We will have to commence beatdowns on the four fans that they bring along with the team.

Posted by: beat down | August 15, 2007 11:59 PM | Report abuse

can they fit in a few more hottie shots before the whistle? maybe a few pouty dc fans?

Posted by: eric | August 15, 2007 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Xavier and Kpene are locked in a death match...

Posted by: DCU | August 15, 2007 11:59 PM | Report abuse

"for the crowd shots - how about a little bit of equal opportunity; I'm sure there are some guys in the crowd that us female viewers could enjoy seeing (or just another shirtless post game interview would be nice)"

As a practical matter, the principal beneficiaries of such a ploy would be gay men.

Posted by: Go Penn State! | August 15, 2007 11:59 PM | Report abuse

I agree. The players didn't show up, but it's inexcusable to take out a defender at halftime of a tight match. That is terrible match management, and makes no sense whatsoever.

Posted by: morphit | August 16, 2007 12:00 AM | Report abuse

I blame the pitch

Night all, crap match, funny comments

Posted by: Kev | August 16, 2007 12:00 AM | Report abuse

btw, i'm waiting for the 'babes of the barra brava' swimsuit calendar

Posted by: eric | August 16, 2007 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Superliga isn't even a real tournament. ;-)

Psych, this one hurts. I actually really like Superliga, it's nice to see meaningful matches in midseason.

Posted by: DJC | August 16, 2007 12:02 AM | Report abuse

I must agree.

Who is the cam guy catching all the random hotties? :)

Funny...but also frustrating. :)

Posted by: P | August 16, 2007 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Beckham was pretty good tonight. Clearly, the possibility of getting a five figure cut of the superliga winner's prize was a major motivator for him.

Posted by: stairs | August 16, 2007 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Beckham w/o a shirt. I can go to sleep happy.

Posted by: Yes | August 16, 2007 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Yes they won, but did the game deserve the time wasting created by LA's over dramatic falls and so called injuries..

Just get on with the game, attack and defend.. If your winning your should be able to prove you can defend the ball..

Posted by: Livvynewfan | August 16, 2007 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Screw Beckham, he's just as cheap as the rest of the Galaxy players. His crap tackle on Moreno was sad.

Good thing LA has a fan base as bad as the team. "goodbye"? that was the best song they could come up with?

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 16, 2007 12:04 AM | Report abuse

I don't get the usual bashing of Soehn. All people did the whole first half was whine about Vanney and Carroll. So he takes off the useless Vanney and pushes Gros back to the defender slot he has played almost all year. And everyone complains that he took out a defender because Josh got burned.

The team didn't have it. Cannon brought his A game. Too many poor plays by too many guys, including St. Ben Olsen.

The worst part is that is was THAT TEAM. God I had them and their diving and their pussy gamesmanship crap. Go Pachuca!

Posted by: Glenn | August 16, 2007 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Reminds me of losing to Columbus this year. And Colorado. And RSL last year (worst loss ever, 2 late PKs). Long live inconsistency

Posted by: Taylor | August 16, 2007 12:06 AM | Report abuse

wonder whose job it is to follow Becks around after games to hand him new jerseys before interviews?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2007 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Fire Vanney, fire Soehn, fire Carroll. Bring back ERPEN! PLEASE!
oh and fire Gros.

Posted by: Garret | August 16, 2007 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Frusterating game to watch as a United fan. There were a couple of times where I thought the ref was extremely generous to not call a penalty against the Galaxy. Had one of those gone DCU's way it would have changed the complexion of the game, as United was doing pretty well in the run of play.

Even so, hats off to LA for a couple of good goals.

Posted by: noptov52 | August 16, 2007 12:09 AM | Report abuse

I blame John Wilson.

Eh, well, I say good for LA, good for MLS, they get their Beckham storyline, and people stop complaining a bit.

Now we get to laugh when he's in a suit on the sideline in NJ this weekend.

Call me a traitor, but I want LA and MLS to win the first Superliga. Pachuca is way dirtier than LA, and I want to hear Wilbon and Kornheiser talk about something other than Becks' lack of PT.

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 16, 2007 12:11 AM | Report abuse

For the most part, diving and bad acting have been absent from MLS... let's hope it stays that way. I agree with Livvynewfan, defend the ball, play keep away or boot the ball down field. But then again, they're not too far from Hollywood. Sigh!

Posted by: Ol' Shin Guard | August 16, 2007 12:12 AM | Report abuse

yes agree, Bekham really provides control and direction... amazing penalty kick..

still annoyed at their time wasting tactics at the end..

Posted by: livvynewfan | August 16, 2007 12:13 AM | Report abuse

United started playing smart patient soccer, but around the 20 minute mark, that whole plan went to s***t. One bad foul by DC and Goldenballs had his chance to takeover the game and, boy, did he take it. After that, DC panicked and was unable to be consistent PERIOD.

Posted by: Working late in DC | August 16, 2007 12:13 AM | Report abuse

What was the TeleFutura reporter trying to ask Becks in the post game interview?
:-)

Posted by: Charlie | August 16, 2007 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Disgraceful game from DC. LA was mediocre, but Beckham and Donovan took their chances well. Us, not so much. Cannon had a couple massive saves, but the rest from us was awful. I cannot overstate my disappointment with almost every single player we trotted out. Only Namoff didn't do something terribly wrong.

The only good things to come out of this game were that Moreno can go 90 minutes and that no one got hurt. This has got to be the nadir for our season.

Also, to clarify, we didn't go to a back three until Kpene came in for Boswell. Gros was at left back, and horribly failed to cut out Beckham's pass to Donovan, leading to the 2nd goal.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2007 12:18 AM | Report abuse

OK. I coach any match vs. Galaxy, and Donovan has a friggin man right in his face the whole match, period. No zonal marking for him; make someone else beat you.

I go down one goal on a free kick, and I don't start torqueing the defense and shifting everyone all over the damn place. But that's just me.

Posted by: morphit | August 16, 2007 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else see that it took Cannon 48 seconds to take a friggin goal kick?

Posted by: Dave | August 16, 2007 12:24 AM | Report abuse

To paraphrase that "tree-falling-in-the-forest" philosophical question:

If Becks scores a beautiful PK and no one in the upper deck is there to see it, does it really count??

Posted by: Juan-John | August 16, 2007 12:45 AM | Report abuse