The Aftermath

Okay, show of hands, who out there predicted three goals by a United side on the road against a sizzling opponent and missing Gomez, Fred and Moreno from the starting lineup? Seriously.

Offensive efficiency. Defensive composure. Two strong finishes by Emilio. A gaffe by Reis. A wonderful set-up by Kpene on the second goal. The clincher at the end.

I can't remember the last time United silenced New England in every aspect of the match like they did today.

Injury update: Moreno suffered back spasms and should be okay. Parkhurst hyperextended his right knee and will be reevaluated Monday.

Game report here.

Video highlights here.

PLAYER RATINGS
Perkins 6; Burch 7, McTavish 7, Boswell 7, Namoff 7; Olsen 7, Simms 7, Dyachenko 6.5, Gros 6.5; Kpene 7, Emilio 8. Subs: Moreno 5, Carroll 6, Mediate 5.

Will United be able to sustain this play Thursday vs. the Galaxy? Or will they continue on their inconsistent path? And what does Soehn do with the starting lineup? Moreno seems due for another break and Gomez is almost certain to replace Dyachenko, but does Fred replace Gros?

By Steve Goff  |  August 5, 2007; 8:55 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday 17: DCU at NE
Next: Freedom Wins Championship

Comments

I don't understand the lower marks for Rod and Josh. I thought they both had an excellent match. I guess you didn't want to give everyone a 7, but everyone was on the same page and as a team was very consistent.

Posted by: Beckham Who? | August 5, 2007 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Nice game for the boys. I think that the absence of Gomez makes us a bit more balanced because every team's game plan against United is to take Gomez out of the game. Unfortunately, it's often worked.

Moreno still has the skills, but his body can't keep up.

Posted by: Terp | August 5, 2007 9:20 PM | Report abuse

"Will United be able to sustain this play Thursday vs. the Galaxy?"

God willing. I have never seen United beat the Galaxy at RFK, and this is one of the main things I want out of life in the short-term. I know I'm not alone in this.

Posted by: Goose | August 5, 2007 9:21 PM | Report abuse

It will be a real shame if Jaime breaks down at this point, just before claiming the MLS scoring record.....although I wouldn't mind seeing Barry Bonds break down right now and not get the outright homerun record.

Posted by: Gusto | August 5, 2007 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Well, I hope DC can come through...45,000 people at RFK on a Thursday with no doubleheader and no strippers is saying something...

Let's go UNITED!!!!!!! Let's kick some LA AZZ!!!!

Posted by: Bill | August 5, 2007 10:06 PM | Report abuse

I've got my hand up.

looking back at the previous section, it looks like someone did predict three goals by United today:

-----
3-1 DC

Kpene with a pair and Olsen gets one as well.

Noonan or Dorman probably will score for NE, but DC will dominate, even with Moreno and Gomez on the bench.

Posted by: United 2007 | August 5, 2007 02:36 PM
-----

sure, I had the goal-scorers wrong, and I had too much faith in the Revolution.

but good to see United get the shut-out and the three goals.

I expect 3 more in an entertaining 3-2 win on Thursday.

Posted by: United 2007 | August 5, 2007 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I was one of a few United fans at the NE game today. The NE crowd hasn't been shut up like that this year! Great show from the guys...going into the game NE was clearly the favorite. United had too many starters out...but that was pure class.

Thanks for the report Goff!

Posted by: Nick | August 5, 2007 10:18 PM | Report abuse

The play in the midfield was like night and day. There was good possession on the left, not to mention Burch's service. Kpene also stepped up big, and showed why he is on the squad -- I hope he sticks with his "bulldog" style, harrying for the ball and pressing the attack.

Emilio has to get the heads-up play of the season award with that quick give and go restart from the center line.

Hopefully DCU is clicking at the right time. I'd love to see Fred start at center mid on Thursday. I also see Kpene as needing some minutes. Maybe try to give Emilio a little breather if possible, second half?

Posted by: morphit | August 5, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

I was also one of the few United supporters up here. It is impressive how well we shut NE down and were able to possess the ball.

I also went to the NE match on Thursday and saw them completely destroy KC for the second half--KC could not string together more than 2-3 passes and NE had a lot of quality chances. Our guys should be proud of themselves.

Posted by: Markus | August 5, 2007 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I believe that the game against America in Superliga was so important. The ball control was great that game and it carried over to tonight. Thanks for the great win United....Awesome!

Posted by: Wow | August 5, 2007 10:48 PM | Report abuse

excellant game. although I don't really understand substituting Moreno in at halftime. Having him come in 65 to 70 would've made a lot more sense

Posted by: diego r. | August 5, 2007 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Now if Soehn was a coach, he'd recognize the deficiencies in Gomez/Moreno this season and take them out against the Galaxy.

Using injury as a guise could be the best thing that happens to United as it will allow Fred the chance to shine in the middle or up top with Emilio.

Gomez, for all his obvious talents, has been overwhelmed without the 5th midfielder.

Fred wants to play centrally so badly he has hurt the team with forays medially. Plus, he can't cross from the outside.

Gomez needs a break. Moreno needs a break.

Posted by: delantero | August 5, 2007 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff: in hindsight now, with Burch and McTavish playing as well as they have been, and Namoff coming back, was that a foolish decision trading Erpin for Vanney--aside from the waste of $100K+? Was there a plan to move Vanney on all along? Vanney has lost a step that Erpin has. What do you think?

Posted by: Eric | August 5, 2007 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Up here for the game. Must say that I've never been to a game at RFK where I could hear the players talk and even hear that ball being kicked -- we have WAY better fans. But it was a fun, if hot, game. Go DC!

Posted by: Susanna | August 5, 2007 11:24 PM | Report abuse

good point delantero

Posted by: Kikin | August 5, 2007 11:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm not Goff but I agree with you on the trade.

Posted by: Susanna | August 5, 2007 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Strange weekend. DC wins on the road. 5 goals in 5 games overall. Two scoreless games. No Beckham. RSL wins...over the #1 team who was on one heck of a streak.

Posted by: RK | August 5, 2007 11:37 PM | Report abuse

I like strange...

and I like that another DC team won a championship today.

Posted by: seahawkdad | August 5, 2007 11:52 PM | Report abuse

I watched dallas/colorado on saturday and erpen played very well-solid defensivel and creating chances on deadf balls the other way. That was a dumb trade. I want facundo back!!!

Posted by: i miss facundo | August 6, 2007 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Hey I missed Facundo,

You and I watched a different game then cause I say Facundo get roasted on numerous occasions and would have given up a PK had the Dallas player laid out after getting clipped by Facu in the area.

On a side note, if the Vanney trade would never have happened, we might not have seen the value we are getting out of MacTavish right now. In that sense, the trade was a no-brainer for United.

Posted by: A Rickey | August 6, 2007 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Regarding Thursday's game, I heard Alexi Lalas on the Galaxy game last night explain that professional athletes get hurt and that people should come to see a team play, not just 1 person. That argument makes sense if everyone involved was treating this as just another game. But when DC United jacks up the price for tickets so that you either have to buy tickets to several games to go to this one game, or charge $35 + service charges to an upper deck corner seat, it is clear that they are not treating this as just another game.

Posted by: Dsmac | August 6, 2007 7:20 AM | Report abuse

The key in this game was Dyachenko and Simms. Dyachenko is large enough to body up with Joseph and completely disrupted his game. Simms played a much more effective "destroyer" role that Carroll has this year. Now, I'm not saying Dyachenko and Simms are more skillful than Gomez and Carroll, just that they work better together than Gomez and Carroll do.

Posted by: griffin1108 | August 6, 2007 7:38 AM | Report abuse

I would like to see Fred give Moreno a break. Let Gros stay on the wing, and Fred can have some time working up top with Emilio, who he seems to have some natural chemistry with.

Posted by: jgildea | August 6, 2007 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Thank you Gros and Reis for a perfect example of why you always stay on the ball when you are on the attack. I hope lots of younger players were watching that play.

Great game by all on DCU and a great way to lead up to Thursday. If DC was smart they would hype the game up as the Emilio game and not even mention Beckham.

Goff, will DCU keep Emilio next season if he asks for a contract that would require the DP allocation?

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 6, 2007 8:21 AM | Report abuse

And yes we'll kill the Galaxy. They looked horrid last night against Toronto. That game was so bad, so dull, and everything was so overhit, that I honsetly fell asleep at 9:30 at night.

But Vamos United.

Posted by: G-Unit | August 6, 2007 9:02 AM | Report abuse

I toll many times we have there boys with great talent and skills; looks like the coach finally is doing his job...Great win DCU...go go go DCU...

Posted by: OrlandoGator | August 6, 2007 9:04 AM | Report abuse

I Love Luchi... but he's not worth DP money... yet. I guess Rod did a nice job disrupting Joseph (who's a thug) but I thought his job was to create--not destroy. I saw him pass the ball to a teammate as often as he passed it to the opposition--no way a 6.5 rating. And I agree with the poster who questioned bringing Jaime on at HT when he should've come on with 20-25 minutes to go... And what a pathetic display of fanfare... you could hear the players talking to each other on the field and hear the boom of the ball being kicked... Great game United!

Posted by: Soy United! | August 6, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

What a solid game yesterday. The one thing that really stumps is not only did United win on the road, but RSL won, too! I guess that means Beckham will play this week based on Goff's other story....

Interesting points on the Vanney/Erpen trade. I always really liked Erpen, but I wonder if Vanney actually has been teaching the young defenders a few things (as was the idea in bringing him in), which is why last night the backline looked so solid....

Posted by: Lost in BA | August 6, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Thoughts on Thursday's line-up possibilities...

Perkins

Namoff McTavish Boswell Burch

Olsen Simms Fred Gros

Emilio Kpene

Anybody?

Posted by: Soy United! | August 6, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I was very impressed by Simms' effort yesterday - hustling, making some great tackles, passing well...doing what a holding mid needs to do. Now that we seem to have solved the left back problem that we had to start the season (i.e. the Burch improvement over Erpfu), and considering Simms' solid play, I wonder if we can't go back to the 3-5-2:

Perkins
Namoff - Boz - Burch
Simms - Olsen (Carroll)
Fred (Olsen) - Gomito (Fred) - Gros (Fred)
Moreno - Emilio

That would allow McTavish and Vanney to come in as subs on D as needed and we'd have the odd man out as first sub in mid. And maybe, as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, Gomez can go back to playing like he did last year with the confidence of two holding mids behind him.

Just a though.

Posted by: DE | August 6, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Lalas is completely ridiculous! I'm going to the game to see DC but come on, Lalas couldn't stop saying Beckham every 3rd word out of his mouth and the special reasons you had to pay extra for the match also prove the league wasn't handling it as teams playing teams.

Posted by: rosado | August 6, 2007 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I was bummin' after the Houston match, but quite pleased with last night's performance. I've concluded that this year's United team will perform like my 403-b -- up one week, down the next. Just gotta hold on for the ride.

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 6, 2007 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

I'm part of a group that purchased more than 60 tickets to see Beckham play this coming Thursday. Any word how United's front office will respond if he doesn't even play? We paid 2x the usual cost of tickets to see this game, and if Becks "suits up" in Armani and not adidas, we will have basically paid that much to watch a lower-table side that couldn't even put up a goal against Toronto.

Unlike other teams, United certainly can afford to give out free tickets to a future match as compensation, as RFK's upper bowl will inevitably have room for any non-Beckham contest. So given FC Dallas's handling of the issue, how will Toronto respond and, if it comes to it, Kevin Payne & Co.? United knows its demographics well, and a large portion are young kids like me who have to squeeze our budgets in order to affored ticket prices that are well above those of the Nationals.

-- a D.C. (United) lifer

Posted by: NDubDC | August 6, 2007 9:43 AM | Report abuse

So, with all the depth that DC showed against NE, can someone explain to me why we crashed out of the US Open Cup?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 6, 2007 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 6, 2007 09:45 AM

-----

Because nobody cares about it?

Posted by: Lost in BA | August 6, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I-270 - while DCU have shown some depth by having guys perform well every once and a while with the first team, they don't have a full second squad that can dominate. Just look at the record of the reserve team.

Anyway, the performance against Harrisburg wasn't necessarily that big of an indictment of DCU's full roster. DCU crashed out of the US Open Cup because they were going to be playing in SuperLiga and Copa Sudamericana all while competing to get a good seed in the playoffs to better their chances of getting to the MLS Cup final at RFK.

Makes sense to me. While US Open Cup is a nice honor, it just didn't fit in the schedule this year.

Posted by: DE | August 6, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

You can go to BigSoccer and see where I predcted a 2-0 win for United. Thank you.

Posted by: Thank you | August 6, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Not only could Galaxy not score, they were outshot 14-2.

Posted by: RK | August 6, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

-- a D.C. (United) lifer

Posted by: NDubDC | August 6, 2007 09:43 AM

Huh? What kind of crack smokin' is that? "Unlike other teams, United certainly can afford to give out free tickets to a future match as compensation.." Uh, 'cause we own our own stadium? NOT. Do you know how much money it costs to rent RFK? Do you know DCU gets a break on rent by only opening the lower bowl for most games? Do you know DCU is bleeding money because of RFK (rent, no money from parking, no money from concessions). DCU only makes money off of ticket sales, so how can they afford to give out free tickets as compensation? The Beckham hype is just that. Hype. If you bought into it and he doesn't play, that's life, you know. Will Wall Street give you your money back for a bad investment? Will Vegas give you your money back for a bad bet? Spanish goalkeeper Santiago Canizares missed the 2002 World Cup when he cut his foot on the glass of a bottle of cologne he dropped on the floor (I did say he was Spanish). Bex could have been out of this game in any number of ways; he could have gotten a ride to the stadium from his new neighbor Lindsay Lohan. Life is a risk. Lesson learned.

Posted by: That's Life, Grasshopper | August 6, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

This just in...(singer) Robbie Williams and David Beckham to play a gay couple on Desperate Houswives...

Posted by: RK | August 6, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Soy United! has the perfect lineup for the Thursday game.

A Rickey: McTavish was already in the line-up alongside Erpen, and showing very well before the trade went down. Burch was playing with the reserve squad and I don't think he'd even played more than 15 minutes in a real game before the trade. I don't mean to split hairs.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 6, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

this is pretty off topic, but after checking out (and being none to impressed with) the write-up of yesterday's match in the boston globe by frank dell'appa (also of espn's soccernet.com) i couldn't help but wonder why our boy goff hasn't gotten a national gig. one of the issues holding soccer back in america is clearly media coverage of the sport, not only the quantity but also the quality. i mean no disrespect to guys like dell'appa, ives galarcep or any other national writer - afterall without them the only commentary we'd get would be from tv boobs like rob stone and max bretos - but i don't think their writing is up to the standard of our beat reporter. not to mention they provide nowhere near the depth of insider information on their respective teams as goff is able to offer in his blog and in print, as well as insight on the game as a whole. i know this blog is linked on a lot of other blogs out there and well-respected in that community, giving america's best soccer writer a somewhat national audience, but it's high time goff got himself a column somewhere to put all those other hacks to shame. and, of course, to advance the interests of dc united on the national stage, cuz united is the greatest football team!

Posted by: goff for president! | August 6, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I watched a bit of the Colorado game -- Erpen once again looked ilke high-risk, high-reward.

Posted by: RK | August 6, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I thought we played great, but New England did what all teams (except houston) have done this year when playing 2 MLS games in the same week (Wed/thursday then sat/sun) they won the first and lost the second. Some have lost both, but only houston has won both.

I know we played 2 games too, etc. but when MLS teams play 2 MLS games in 1 week they have a lousy record on the weekend match. Take it from a fantasy manager looking to maximize his results.

That said, I'm very pleased with Rod and Kpene's play in the attack and the back 4 that continue to grow and learn and play well. Burch continues to shine and his crosses are excellent, Namoff ate up everything on the right. If you watch you'll see birch goes forward to attack/cross and gros stays back to defend so they are both pacing themselves throughout the game...and Gros only flubs half his crossing chances.

Get well Jaime!

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | August 6, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

Any word on TV coverage for the Super Liga match for DC/Gals?

Posted by: RIP General | August 6, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Less is more?

Sometimes it is. Sometimes you're in a rut, and changing your lineup judiciously can help circulate things better, because everybody plays more mindfully.

And if you're in a rut, that means that same-old won't get it done. Speaking of ruts, Thursday would be a good time to give this configuration another go, with the exception of Fred in the center mid where Gomez would be.

If by the second half DCU can afford it, switch out Emilio for Gomez. Hell, Emilio for Gomez is a good switch at any event in the interest of keeping people healthy, as Emilio's been laying down serious minutes.

If Kpene gets gassed, shift Fred to withdrawn forward and plug Dyachenko back into center mid (for lack of alternatives; Moreno needs tub time).

Posted by: morphit | August 6, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Regarding the fuss about Beckham refunds....

I don't feel bad for anyone who purchased tickets to the DC United vs. Los Angeles Galaxy match. Yes, your tickets cost more than they would have had you purchased tickets for the United vs. Columbus Crew match, but you also willingly engaged in the transaction. DC United charged what it could get for the game, and people paid. Some people are paying over $100 per seat on Craig's List for scalped tickets. Maybe United should have charged $200 per seat??

In the world of sports entertainment, there is always a risk that a player will be injured, and will therefore not appear. When you purchased your tickets, you already knew that David Beckham was injured; it was well-publicized. His injury will not prevent the Los Angeles Galaxy from taking the field, as previously advertised.

I am a season ticket holder, and I purchased 10 additional tickets to the match for my friends to come. Does that mean the I should demand a refund from the team? Or possibly a half-season ticket for 2008? Of course not. It's a ridiculous argument to make.

You cannot condemn the league nor the teams for promoting individual players on either roster. That's how seats are sold. Had the game been billed as the exciting arrival of Quavas Kirk, our collective "Huh?" would be drowned out by the chirping of crickets. Promoting players to sell seats, however, does not require that those players are on the field. Maybe you'd prefer that Beckham put on his #23 Galaxy shirt and stand in the middle of the field while United play the Galaxy in an 11 on 10 kickaround?

Were this a Pearl Jam concert, and Eddie Vedder didn't show, maybe there would be a call for a refund. However, in sports you're there for the jersey. It's disappointing to miss out on the best players, but that comes with the territory.

Also, if you'd like to pay less, we'd love to have you come support United at every other game this season. United has some pretty good players, too.

Posted by: DWE4 | August 6, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

""our beat reporter""

Please, Goff is so much more-- ""Czar of Insider Nation"

Posted by: d | August 6, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

Any word on TV coverage for the Super Liga match for DC/Gals?

Posted by: RIP General | August 6, 2007 11:07 AM
---------
Telefutura has the rights... aprendé castellano y no tendrás ningún problema...

Posted by: Soy United! | August 6, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

I think we all are pretty satisfied with yesterdays performance from our boys in the black and red. For the first time in about a month or so I can't ask you the usual questions like "Why couldn't we finish our chances?" or "Why can't we score on the road?". The only question that comes to mind is "any news on Veron?". According to KP he should have had his official answer by now, right?

Posted by: Zach | August 6, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Verón played on Friday for Estudiantes (and played well, including converting a PK) after quite a fiasco regarding paperwork from Chelsea and a falling out he had with management at the club (no the coach, but the club officials). On Saturday, he was quoted as saying he left his anger off the field and played well for Estudiantes because of the love and support he feels from the fans. But he is still pretty upset with the club, and they owe him money.

So if United fans start showing him some love....

Posted by: Lost in BA | August 6, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

WashPost/Newsweek is a national outlet (even though the Post it is technically a local paper) and probably the best respected dead-tree Sports section in the country. Goff is the go-to guy for soccer here. What more do you want?

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 6, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff for president, shut up! Don't give him any ideas. Do you really want to loose him? Unless... Insider Nation goes National! But then we'd have to let in Pink Cow fans [shudder]. :)

Posted by: gallegoscot | August 6, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

What more do you want? I'd like to see Steve get some national spotlight. The old boy network on PTI, the Sports Reporters, etc, etc..just kick around soccer and trash it without ever presenting an opposing viewpoint. Until these dinosaurs die out we'll have to live with it. What are they so scared of anyway? Someone with an informed position like Steve Goff has to be pretty scary to them.

Posted by: Chico | August 6, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Goff is a very good reporter and the WashPo gets credit for WashPo TV for its coverage of United. Even when Goff isn't on, they have folks who can talk the talk. Jason LaCanfora, the Redskins equivalent of Goff, can talk the talk. He's very knowledgeable of soccer. Nice to see reporters with a full knowledge of all sports.

Posted by: N is for Knowledge | August 6, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

RIP general... I'm pretty sure I heard that Comcast would be covering both of the upcoming Galaxy matches during yesterdays broadcast. (maybe it was an error?)

Posted by: d, dc | August 6, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

WOW - What a performance. I was completely shocked that DCU spanked the revs like that!
Almost as good as Tiger :)

Posted by: BobF | August 6, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

re: Goff national exposure.

How about getting Goff on PTI instead of Tommy Smythe? Goff, how often do Kornheiser and Willy-bons still come into the office? 1x a week maybe?

Posted by: New England Guy | August 6, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Who are Wilbon and Kornheiser? ;-)

Rumor has it, Wilbon might be at RFK on Thursday.

Posted by: Goff | August 6, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

re: Beckham tickets/refund.

From a financial standpoint, giving out ticket vouchers to a future match would not only be good PR, but also good for match day profits: a lot of people are going to the Beckham match who not otherwise be going to see a DCU match at all this season. That is no secret to anyone at MLS, and a large reason for bringing a guy like Beckham in is to get people into the stadiums to see an MLS match and hope that the excitement is enough to convince folks to come back, with or without Beckham on the pitch. That said, this was never billed as a "DC United versus the LA Galaxy featuring David Beckham" match, as the Crew are sold "featuring Schelletto" or the Red Bulls are sold w/ Angel. No, this was the "David Beckham game," and as such, fans are being asked to pay twice the normal cost of tickets. Moreover, many who purchased tickets were not aware of Beckham's injury, as many tickets were sold to folks such as way back when Barcelona were looking to champs of Spain. If United were to refund ticket prices (unlikely) or offer ticket to a future contest (more likely), they would probably put a lot of fans in the stadium who would otherwise not be there, Beckham Bust or not. Extra fans means extra concession and merch sales (granted RFK gets a big cut, unfortunately). More importantly, United saves face. Because the worst thing that could happen is for people to be so pissed about the situation that they give up on DCU altogether. This is NOT a stock market parallel; DCU is entertainment, and no one has much fun when they feel ripped off.

Posted by: Mt P | August 6, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

In regards to Beckham playing in Thursday's match, didn't anyone catch his interview during half time last night of L.A. v. Toronto. He said he has noticed significant progress over the last few days and now expects to take some part in the Washington match. I am quite confident we will see him on the pitch for limited time (Although his impact will be nada as he hasn't even practiced with his team yet). However, after yesterday's performances (Both DC & LA) I am more interested in seeing how bad DCU issues the Galaxy a beatdown! Go United!

Posted by: DaveS | August 6, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Another likely celebrity (sort of) guest at Thursday's game: England Boss, Steve McClaren

Posted by: Travis | August 6, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey Ricky on Erpin: My comment was comparing him to Vanney, in terms of value, not as a starter. I think we have our top line now: Burch, Boswell, McTavish and Namoff. As a #5 backline reserve, would you have a $250,000 reserve in Vanney on the bench or a $120,000 Erpin, cap-wise and speedwise? RK, McTavish was already playing backline by the time of the trade, so the trade didn't promomte McTavish. If anything, Burch's emergence can be attributed to Vanney not being available. We need to unload the big contract Vanney carries--providing we can find a cheaper, younger defensive talent. Til that player is signed, Simms and maybe Mediate can fill that role--and Gros--as gameday shift-back moves.

Posted by: Eric | August 7, 2007 8:48 AM | Report abuse