The Aftermath

At halftime, you had a bad feeling about this one, didn't ya? Go ahead. You can admit it. We're all friends here. United wasn't generating much while Columbus was finding space on the flank and serving dangerous balls into the box. Seemed like D.C. had not shaken off its SuperLiga hangover.

The second half, however, was a vast improvement -- superb smash by Fred (on his 28th birthday, by the way), a good read on things by Emilio to make Ezra look foolish and another solid defensive effort in a regular season outing. Would you believe United set an all-time club record for consecutive shutout victories in league play? It's true. (Well, at least that's what the team tells me.)

On the injury front, Gros suffered yet another concussion (you've got to start to wonder how many more he can take in his life) and got ill in the locker room. He was talking afterward but will have to undergo further evaluation this week. Boswell is fine, just needed a break. Perkins is fine. Olsen has some bone spur issues and might end up being a game-time decision Wednesday vs. New York.

On a side note, this had to be one of the best nights for attendance in MLS history: 66,000 for NY-LA; 21,000 for DC-Columbus; 20,000 for Toronto-Chivas; and nearly 19,000 for RSL-Chicago.

Okay, how about some United player ratings? As usual, I am sure we will all agree on these numbers ;-)

Perkins 7; Namoff 7, Vanney 7, McTavish 7, Burch 7.5; Gros no rating, Simms 7, Gomez 6, Fred 8; Moreno 6, Emilio 7. Subs: Mediate 7, Carroll 6, Dyachenko 6.

Game report here.

Video highlights here.

By Steve Goff  |  August 18, 2007; 11:11 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday 19: DCU at Columbus
Next: Beckham, the Bulls and an Angel

Comments

Ya know, I really can't argue with those ratings! Bravo, Mr. Goff.

And how long do you expect Gros to be out?

Posted by: UVA to RFK | August 18, 2007 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Deduct one point across the board, and I agree. :)

Little too unattractive for such high marks.

Posted by: JkR | August 18, 2007 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Side note: I thought Simms was particularly effective.

Posted by: JkrR | August 18, 2007 11:35 PM | Report abuse

This is somewhat unrelated to your post Steve, but I think you will enjoy it. I just sent this email to ESPN about their highlights of the LA Galaxy vs Red Bull NY game.
----------------------------------------
I just wanted to let you know how pathetic your "highlights" of the LA Galaxy vs Red Bull NY were. In a soccer game where 9 goals are scored, you show only 3? Then you can't even pronounce the players names correctly. How could you sell such an exciting fantastic game so short? Yet when the LA Galaxy played a friendly against Chelsea you devoted a single camera to David Beckham (as he sat on the bench) and, judging from the coverage, a second just for his wife sitting in the skybox. What was worse in that friendly- you kept cutting away from the action on the field to show Beckham sitting watching the game? Unbelievable. Is there no one at the network that knows one thing about soccer or soccer fans? What a disgrace to the world's most popular and beautiful game.

Posted by: Matt Brock | August 18, 2007 11:38 PM | Report abuse

a second concussion could easily mean the end of the season for Gros. I wouldn't expect him back for several weeks, if the doctors are even semi-competent.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 19, 2007 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Who's this Simms you speak of? HDNet changed his name to Simmons.

Posted by: Garret | August 19, 2007 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Goff, does it seem like the team is developing some serious depth? Guys like Carroll, Namoff and Olsen all on the bench but we still had 11 solid/good starters out there. I think the only area that is lacking is at forward.

Posted by: lawrenceterp | August 19, 2007 12:46 AM | Report abuse

LA-NY ends up with NINE goals?!?

Conversation within the ESPN offices in Bristol:

ESPN exec: We should broadcast this NY-LA game!

ESPN lawyer: No we shouldn't. We'd get sued.

ESPN exec: [BLEEP] the lawsuit! It's the biggest media market in the world! We can afford it!

ESPN lawyer (tapping button below his desk): FOX will sue us for all we're worth. Go back to your desk now.

ESPN exec: No, I'm serious! We could win this! Wait! No! Lemme alone! [Security comes in and drags ESPN exec away]

Posted by: Juan-John | August 19, 2007 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Did DC play tonight? Every bar I went to had Redskins and Nationals. Finally I gave up and just went for the score updates on the bottom of ESPN.

But at least Galaxy was on tv in most of the bars and I saw what was probably the best MLS game of my life.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 19, 2007 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah -- I guess the local team did okay this weekend too, huh? :-)

Couldn't watch that game, the LA-NY game and the Nats-Mets game at the same time, so I went to Summers to get my information overload fix.

Posted by: Juan-John | August 19, 2007 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Even though they lost, I'm willing to be the busdriver for the Columbus Crew Dark Horse Play-Off Run Bandwagon.

They've got an MVP candidate who is consistently dangerous even on off nights, they never quit coming at you, and they got the Heydude anchoring the back line. Tix are cheap!

Hooray for Fred tonight - he's a nice boy, I'm happy for him.

Posted by: Eric | August 19, 2007 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Why does everyone call high-scoring games exciting? Mostly what I saw was crap defending.

Perhaps we should make the goals larger and not allow more than two defenders. That'd make every game more 'exciting.'

Posted by: MattM | August 19, 2007 2:12 AM | Report abuse

if you don't call a game that is 5-4 exciting there you are on crack, whether or not the defending is bad its exciting my friend. at least thier were no Pks

Posted by: dc united | August 19, 2007 2:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rose colored contacts | August 19, 2007 4:17 AM | Report abuse

Matt - thanks for calling out ESPN on that. It had to be done.

Did Tommy give a halftime version of the "Inches" speech? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rFx6OFooCs

Posted by: BSPN | August 19, 2007 4:19 AM | Report abuse

Matt - thanks for calling out ESPN on that. It had to be done.

Did Tommy give a halftime version of the Pacino "Inches" speech?

Posted by: Awake | August 19, 2007 4:25 AM | Report abuse

I hope Gros is ok, but a 2nd concussion in 5(?) months doesn't sound good.

Posted by: m | August 19, 2007 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Goff,
Thanks for your ratings for the second half.
No need for the public ugliness of ratings for the first. Kids read this post, you know....

Posted by: qtip | August 19, 2007 8:02 AM | Report abuse

"The most valuable guy tonight was Soehn, who pulled out a much needed road win while resting key players. I couldn't agree less with your ratings. The back was shaky individually, but they had the right lineup of complimentary players to make up for it against a team that has some bark but lacks bite offensively. The offense could have used Kpene to stretch Columbus, but Columbus gifted us with some shaky defense of their own.

------

Dear Rosie:

First off, Kpene has been lousy lately. No way he gets into the match.

Secondly, huh?

The star of a 2-0 victory on the road against a decent side to give the team a third consecutive shutout victory in league play was the guy on the sideline? You've attended too many of those self-indulgent coaching symposiums. ;-)

Indeed, the coach puts his team in position to win -- that's his job every day of the year and Soehn has done very well, IMO, in his rookie season -- but the game is about the players, not the coach. Was it a perfect performance? Hardly, especially in the first half. But getting this result had more to do with the performance on the field than on the sideline.

I guess we'll have to disagree on this one, Rosie.

Posted by: Goff | August 19, 2007 8:24 AM | Report abuse

How many concussions can a guy get in his life before there are permanent consequences?

I was worried after the first had a bad feeling. Fred's goal was a treat and beautifully hit.

I thought our guys did very well in the second passing the ball around.

Simms has to be the starter now, he did very well.

We didn't seem to miss Gros, Mediate did well.

Jaime did well as the number 10 afte Gomez left. I think he'll do that next year when Gomez leaves...

Nice win.

Amazing NY-LA game. Altidore and Angel will be a handful on Wednesday.

Posted by: RRP | August 19, 2007 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Results matter. Did we play poorly? I guess. But, we got three points. Did they make some mistakes? Yes, and we punished them for their mistakes, that's what happens in soccer. How many times has someone in a post-game interview pulled out the "you get punished for mistakes" cliche. Reality is, its very very true. Did we make some mistakes that went unpunished? Sure.

a few thoughts/questions:

1. Our Brazilians are both in good form which is awesome.

2. We better not make many mistakes on defense aginst RBNY, I think they'll be in a better shape to capitalize.

3. No matter what anyone says, Beckhamania is calling more attention to MLS and I although it may be too early to tell, I think folks are liking what they're seeing. In my book that has to be good.

Posted by: Dan | August 19, 2007 8:35 AM | Report abuse

benny must play on wednesday.

he owns ny

Posted by: vasco | August 19, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm gonna call ESPN and complain that they didn't show all the runs that scored in the 22-run Little League World Series game!

You people kill me. They start to give the league more publicity and you still whine like a bunch of 2-year-olds with a wet diaper.

Good win by United. The second goal was something that we have had trouble getting so it's good to see. I have a feeling Josh will be done for the year as a precaution. Poor kid.

Posted by: Laughing | August 19, 2007 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Very boring first half as neither team created threatening scoring opportunities. But the 2nd half was great.

The newly established team record for 3 straight shutout victories seems pretty artificial when you consider we started our #1 lineup against LA on Wednesday and lost 2-0. I know that's a separate competition but the team was probably more keyed up for it than a regular season MLS league game.

Posted by: garbaggio | August 19, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

lawrenceterp wrote "Goff, does it seem like the team is developing some serious depth? Guys like Carroll, Namoff and Olsen all on the bench but we still had 11 solid/good starters out there."

Namoff was not on the bench -- he played the entire match.

Posted by: Bootsy | August 19, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

There is no way that there were 21,000 people at the DC-Columbus game last night. That must be the number of tix sold...unless many of their fans came dressed up as yellow benches.

On another note, some Columbus supporters from the Hudson St. Supp. Club decided to come over to our away supporters section and cause some trouble. Have to say that is the first time I have ever seen any hint of trouble at an away match. We actually had to have a police escort out of the stadium.

Posted by: DCU in Ohio | August 19, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

There were some "difficulties" at the Columbus match earlier this year too. Inferiority complex? I think so.

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 19, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

>>>I hope that you enjoy your rose colored contacts, but Tommy Soehn was the most impressive guy for DC tonight, putting his team in a position to win when their individual performances showed that there really wasn't a lot of margine for error."

Then between LA and Columbus he miraculously got a lot smarter. Must be something in the water.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

"Hope Gros listens to good medical advice and does what's right for his long term health."

---

If he can't play no more, let's hope he doesn't join the marines.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

DCU seemed to be playing their 'Arsenal of MLS' game - good skills, but too often looking for the perfect goal rather than go right at it.

But, today at least, their stars where good enough. Does anyone have a pic of Fred and Emilio posing after the 2nd goal. That's gotta lift yer barra brava heart.

Posted by: Eric | August 19, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Good 2nd half last and it is always nice to pull out a road win.

What is going on with Gomez? Is he just in a funk or was last season a fluke? Goff, you talked to him lately? Are his days in DC numbered?

What would you guys think of dropping Jaime into Gomez's slot (I don't think Jaime has the pace to play up top anymore)? A good benching never hurt anyone.

Posted by: Bret | August 19, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

The chances of Gomez returning next season are 50-50. Negotiations on hold until probably November.

Posted by: Goff | August 19, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Watching the DC-Columbus game from the stands, I really had to question the quality of the refereeing the other night. Regardless of who you were cheering for, there were numerous inconsistent calls. There was a tackle on Schelotto in the 13th minute that was waved off by the ref but was a pretty clear foul. There were times when it looked like both Morenos (DC's and Columbus') were diving and would get the call, then would get mugged and get nothing.
It's one thing when the ref lets rough play go; it's another when he's inconsistent about calling fouls on rough play.

Anyone else of a similar opinion?

Posted by: Brant | August 19, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Watching the game on TiVo.

As the commentators are noting DC has never lost when Richard Heron is the ref, he blows 2 back-to-back calls
At 12:47, Schelotto gets mugged - hard. And the ref, 10 feet away, waves it off. The commentators even agreed he blew the call.
At 13:10 or so, Hesmer brings the ball back into the box to pick up with his hands, and the ref calls it as a corner kick. Hesmer never stepped out of bounds over the end line, and ball was in front of him the entire time.

Posted by: Brant | August 19, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

That second call was made by the assistant referee, from a wonderful angle.

Posted by: morphit | August 19, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

1. Doesn't it seem like strikers always score on their birthdays?

2. re: league attendance this weekend. I'm setting the line on NE @ KC attendance tonight at 6,999...

Posted by: New England Guy | August 19, 2007 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Fantastic strike by Fred.

And Emilio is a perfect fit for Washington, DC. The man's a total opportunist:)) (Great job again dude.)

Posted by: Mitch | August 19, 2007 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Surprisingly generous ratings from the Goff, though they definately earned them in the segundo tiempo

Posted by: Taylor | August 19, 2007 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Also, I don't care about the Becjham critics. half of my local news stations mention MLS in sports now, albeit mainly just LA games. But, thats more games than they ever have before. Thanks for the exposure Becks!

Posted by: Taylor | August 19, 2007 8:31 PM | Report abuse

"That second call was made by the assistant referee, from a wonderful angle."

Boy - I sure hope that was sarcasm. Watch the replay on TV when you get a chance... Hesmer never stepped out of bounds over the end line, and ball was in front of him the entire time. If he never went out, the ball darn sure never did, either.

Posted by: Brant | August 19, 2007 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Actually, felt pretty good tied at halftime on the road. Swarmed a lot of plays in midfield, stopped enough of GBS and took advantage of our own chances. Fun to watch live!
How is Josh?

Posted by: towson | August 19, 2007 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I feel so bad for Josh Gros. Man must be feeling frustrated. First he has the thing with breaking a wrist just as soon as the other is out of the cast. Then he has to spend this season playing out of position. Now he has a second concussion in a relatively short time. I thot his head gear was supposed to prevent this? Poor dude!

Posted by: Bart | August 20, 2007 8:13 AM | Report abuse

I missed the game, so I haven't seen Gros' injury. 15 concussions is a huge problem, though. Look at all of these football players with conditions similar to Alzheimer's due to concussions. I hope he stays off the field for a long time and takes care of himself.

Posted by: jj | August 20, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

What's the real story on Boswell? He got pulled last game now doesn't start this one. Is tommy trying to bring more organization to the defense with Vanney? I understand that Boswell is having a poor season but he has to be a better option than Vanney. Is he just in Tommy's doghouse?

Posted by: hank | August 20, 2007 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Nice to see Simms play while keeping Carroll untill he comes out of his funk.

Posted by: joey | August 20, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MattM | August 19, 2007 02:12 AM

***************

Couldn't agree more with this assessment!

Posted by: Soy United! | August 20, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I missed the game. Very surprised to see these high ratings with little dissent. I thought after Superliga it was accepted wisdom that Fred (8) sucks, is in over his head, a detriment to the team, etc etc etc, and Emilio (7 -- league leading scorer) has brick touch, can't finish, should be benched or traded, etc etc etc.

Posted by: WNT fan | August 20, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Conversation within the ESPN offices in Bristol:

ESPN exec: We should broadcast this NY-LA game!

ESPN lawyer: No we shouldn't. We'd get sued.
______________________________________

Of course, this was never an option, for the simple reason that ESPN personnel would have had to physically wrest control of the broadcast facilities inside the stadium from the FSC crew.

Posted by: Go Penn State! | August 20, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Big Bronx cheer to Comcast for it's coverage of the DC United/Columbus game. Phhhhhhpt!

Went to the baseball game, got home expecting to watch the game and instead got the Deadskins game--who at least got decimated by injuries. Man was I disappointed.

Posted by: gallegoscot | August 20, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

>>>>"That second call was made by the assistant referee, from a wonderful angle."

Is your sarcasm meter not working, or what...

Posted by: morphit | August 20, 2007 8:54 PM | Report abuse