Traffic Alert

If you are planning to come to the D.C.-L.A. match via I-395 from Virginia, what are you waiting for?

It's already pretty bad, not because of the game, but everything else: the Douglass Bridge closure, the weather, accidents, etc. At 2:45 p.m., it was backed up from the Pentagon across the 14th Street Bridge and along the SE-SW Freeway. Once I got past the major exits and neared the stadium, there were no issues getting into Lot 8.

If possible, take Metro. If you are driving, giddyup!

Why is the biggest home game of the year starting early and being played on a weeknight in a city with one of the worst traffic problems in the country? BSPN rules the world.

By Steve Goff  |  August 9, 2007; 3:34 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Open Cup Final Four Set
Next: Matchday 18: DCU vs. L.A.

Comments

I just checked the weather -- at least the temp dropped (to 79).

Posted by: RK | August 9, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I almost feel guilty for skipping this one in person. Almost.

See you all at the Red Bulls game. Vamos United.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 9, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm metro-ing. No way I'm combatting the beltway rush hour ... for Becks or anybody else. Well ... maybe Heather Mitts.

Posted by: Matt | August 9, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

BSPN is showing this game on 3 hour tape delay where I am.... In Argentina. Apparently Beckham is important, but not important enough to show live.

Posted by: Lost in BA | August 9, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Hope you brought your umbrella. As with any big soccer event at RFK you have to have rain.

Also helps with the traffic.

It looks like another storm will be moving in, in the next 25-30 minutes.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 9, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Rain in DC used to turn my 15 minute commute to 75...what a nightmare.

Posted by: RK | August 9, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, is it just me or does it rain like EVERY DCU home game?!

Posted by: HFIC | August 9, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I can't believe they're even showing the game in Argentina. Wonder if JS Veron will tune in?

Posted by: Argy Bargy | August 9, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

No traffic, no ghettro, no lines at the johns, no screaming 14yo girls... just me, my plasma HD wide screen and a bottle of 12yo highland single malt! Vamos UNITED!

Posted by: Soy United! | August 9, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

how can we concentrate at work with that picture of Posh on the home page!

Posted by: No Name Provided | August 9, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

watching from home with a pizza and my wife (in that order...sike yr mind). c'mon jaime, 109!

Posted by: antonio | August 9, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Soy United!- I like the way you roll. Scotch and Football go together like wine coolers and middle school dances.

I'll be at buffalo billiards spouting vitriol at LandyCakes every time he gets near the ball and patting myself on the back for not dropping 35 bones to sit in the upper deck.

Posted by: bribri | August 9, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

ESPN2 is likely to have a very good picture for the game so I'll hang back and not join the mob.

Posted by: tex | August 9, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Cab to Trusty's, then hoofing it for me.

Vamos United!

Posted by: Kev | August 9, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Amen Kev - I'll see you there. Loves me the sunset wheat!

Posted by: Adam | August 9, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

"Seriously, is it just me or does it rain like EVERY DCU home game?!"

Well those worried will soon be in the past, when that beautiful new stadium is built, with proper football roofing. Trust me, it'll be no time.

Steve - how's that new stadium panning out?

Say what now....?

Posted by: Kev | August 9, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goffi's Dad--I hear you're multi-media guy today. Keep up the good work. Zing!

Posted by: Sparky G. | August 9, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse

sunset wheat = the "tang" of beers.

Posted by: d, dc | August 9, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

The rain will just make the natural grass that much more enjoyable for Golden Boy. Just watchout when you round second...

Posted by: Rob | August 9, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

No more Pilsner Urquell specials at Trusty's - boooo

Posted by: Kev | August 9, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Almost all the Thursday night matches have been 7 p.m. local time so it's not like they did it for just this one week. Might be a bad decision all around though.

Posted by: Brian | August 9, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Goff, any word from Soehn on the starting line-up?

Tell Tommy to try this...

.............................Perkins............................

Namoff.......McTavish........Boswell..........Burch

Olsen.........Simms.............Fred.............Gros

.................Emilio..............Kpene..................

Goooooooooolazos galore!

Posted by: Soy United! | August 9, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

i dropped 15 bucks

Posted by: rosado | August 9, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Traffic on 295 was not bad...I left at 4:30 and it took 20 minutes from Foggy Bottom to Estadio RFK. Go United!

Posted by: gburg tim | August 9, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

GO DCU!!! I'm from Colorado so I'm hoping for a great soccer match and Beck plays at least part of the game! I know I'm asking for a lot. Thanks Goff, you are the best!

Posted by: CO_Soccer_Fan | August 9, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Decided to sell my tix and catch it at home where the crowd is smaller and the beers are much, much cheaper. 100 degrees is too hot for me.

Hopefully someone will smack Donovan upside the head. Go DC!

Posted by: Hacksaw | August 9, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

The weather channel is showing a huge green blob about to reach DC. I'm not sure if its rain or the 14 year old girls but something is about to hit DC.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 9, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Decided to sell my two tickets to a co-worker. At least the line to the bathroom won't be long! Plus I can dirnk as much as I want. I've already strated. Go United GO!

Posted by: I can pee at home comfortably | August 9, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse