United News & Notes [updated with news-quotes]

[UPDATED!]

*Everyone worked out this morning -- no heat-related ailments on the scorching training grounds outside RFK. Moreno, though, seems to be in a day-to-day situation with his sore back and Gomez is being cautious about his quadriceps injury.

*Local product Kevin Alston, just back from the Pan American Games, is training with the club before he returns to Indiana University.

*Officials from Brazilian club Atletico Mineiro are in town to observe United's training and participate in a coaching symposium. As you may recall, the teams forged a business relationship earlier this year.

*Dave Kasper says the young Argentine prospects that the club had mentioned for possible trial probably will not arrive until next preseason. These are not high-caliber senior players -- just young guys who would be reserves in MLS and perhaps have an opportunity to move their way up.

*Beckham and the Galaxy will arrive this afternoon from Toronto and plan to train (perhaps when things cool off a bit), but will not be available to the media. Will he play Thursday? That's the big question. At the moment, my hunch is that he will be in uniform, but we'll have to wait and see how his ankle responds the next 48 hours.

A few quotes to share:

Olsen, on Sunday's victory.....

"I am a little bit of a skeptic in this whole thing when we beat a team that bad. We're a good team and we can be that good. New England was pretty bad and you could tell they didn't have what they usually have. I hope we build on it. The soccer side was better than we played in a long time, as far as possession, and we played a little more of the beautiful game, which was nice. We've got to build on that; that's not going to cut it to win this league. This team has had too many ups and downs. How do we have a big win and keep the right mentality and push forward? That's been a struggle with this team for some reason. It's human nature after a big win to let down a little bit. Last week we had meetings and talks with coaches and players, and all these things to motivate us, but it shouldn't take that. We shouldn't need to have heart to hearts and big meetings to show up and do our job. That's my whole pessimistic view."

Soehn on Moreno.....

"He trained today and he said he's feeling better. We were cautious and instead of making it worse, we opted to take him out Sunday. When he played there with Bolivia [in a friendly in May], he tried to push through it and it set him back."

Soehn on Gomez.....

"He's still being cautious. He's still got some soreness. We're going to make sure that he is set up to be successful. He did train today some, so there's a positive there."

Olsen on whether people in general are asking him whether Beckham will play.....

"They don't ask me whether he's going to play; they ask me if I have any extra tickets! And the answer is no, so tell everyone to stop calling me. I don't have any, I'm sold out too."

By Steve Goff  |  August 7, 2007; 12:10 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: It's Beckham Week in D.C.
Next: Chicago Salary News

Comments

who cares if david plays. All I want to see is the place rocking and a huge victory, perhaps 5-0

Posted by: vasco | August 7, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

We just need to hope that half of the crowd isn't rooting for the Galaxy out of a misguided sense of stardom loyalty.

Posted by: Sean | August 7, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

This will be like the Dips playing the Cosmos. Go Dips! (and United!)

Posted by: Chris K | August 7, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

where are the galaxy training?

Posted by: beckhamspy | August 7, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

so those two young lads are the brother and brother-in-law of Veron? The ones he mentioned coming with him to DC as part of the deal? Does that mean we're getting Veron next season?

credit to DCUtd on bigsoccer for the link.

Posted by: DCAustinite | August 7, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I would think if they had an agreement with his brothers that they would be ready to announce his signing as well.
I hope he changes his mind and comes now, but I doubt it.

Posted by: jgildea8 | August 7, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

This will be like the Dips playing the Cosmos. Go Dips! (and United!)

Posted by: Chris K | August 7, 2007 12:56 PM

Kevin Harmse playing the role of The Kaiser.

Posted by: Hoost | August 7, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Those Brazilian coaches...they're really here to see Beckham.

Posted by: seahawkdad | August 7, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

What are you all doing reading this?

Haven't you left already to try to get to RFK by Thursday night.

The traffic is going to be awful on Thursday. I suggest leaving for the game at least 48 hours prior to kickoff.

Will they be opening up the RFK lots early? I thought I read that they were considering it.

Posted by: traffic | August 7, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I cringe every time I see someone namecheck BS on the Insider.

Posted by: So Md | August 7, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Between the heat index of 115 on the field on Thursday, Beckham's ankle, 35,000 fans, traffic on 295 backed up to Springfield, what more could I ask for on Thursday but a comfortable booth, AC, and my favorite pub?

Plus, I won't be able to take the high pitched squeals from teenage girls if Beckham is subbed in.

Posted by: delantero | August 7, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Lot 8 Parking opens at 2pm.
Gates at 5pm.

Posted by: Ohboyohboy | August 7, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Who cares if Beckham plays, I just want to see Landycakes shut down at RFK for a change.

Posted by: silentbob | August 7, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

The heat coming off of Landy's bald skull might push the on-field index to around 120 degrees. If Cobi's face hadn't already melted and charred, I would tell him to be careful.

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 7, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone making a massive banner telling Cobi not to let the door hit him, or something like that?

Posted by: So Md | August 7, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

How did Alston look? Glad to see him playing again. His injury in Peru looked pretty bad.

Posted by: apqjr | August 7, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

why don't the suburbanites take metro instead? that or stay in traffic

Posted by: rosado | August 7, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

We got the hardcore United fans on this post. C'mon Benny, I want to see you pull a Cantona and hit some little 14 year old's dad who's all pissed Becks didn't play.

Still the best moment in soccer history.

Posted by: G-Unit | August 7, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love Ben Olsen's "we don't need no stinkin' heart-to-heart talks" attitude. He's right -- they're paid to bring heart, they shouldn't have to be coaxed.

But Bennie, please put an end to the jujitsu moves before going into a tackle! You don't need to get the guy in a headlock before stripping him of the ball.

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 7, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I cringe every time I see someone namecheck BS on the Insider.

Posted by: So Md | August 7, 2007 01:35 PM

----

LOL. For what it's worth, that Olé article says that for now the answer is still no, but there are several attractive things about the offer (not just money). He also said that he can take his brother and brother-in-law with him to play there. He doesn't specifically say they will play for United, but they currently play for the Inferiores for Estudiantes, so maybe DCAustinite's math is accurate. I would be curious to see if Goff could follow up on that and find out if those are the same two he is talking about. I think I will go check out Estudiantes web site to see if I can figure it out...

Posted by: Lost in BA | August 7, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

I posted this question in the last string. Danny Szetela to ROMA? Ives reported on it. What are your thoughts? You're usually the first to know this kind of thing. Seems like big news to me.

Posted by: Sean G | August 7, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

So from what I gather from your post no one is going to be signed before the international transfer period is closed. Seems like a big mistake to me. Our defense has looked much better since the addition of Burch, but unless we get lucky as we did in NE, our offense needs work. Why is DC not signing a big name player to fill the DP slot? Not only would it sell tickets, but also improve the team.

Posted by: wake up payne | August 7, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 7, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

United needs a ¨Big name"right now like I need a hole in my head.

Posted by: morphit | August 7, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

careful...
I do not know you. You might really need a whole in your head.

Posted by: jgildea8 | August 7, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

This is definitely a championship team. We DO have the players both offensively and defensively to win it all. We need more consistency and we need the players to get healthy, but doubting these players would be a mistake. A DP would be really really appreciated, but I can wait until next season if that's what it takes.

Posted by: Sean G | August 7, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Please somebody, anybody trade Ben Olsen. He always ends up either being injured or carded.

Posted by: ball68 | August 7, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

AlecW81-- where do you get your information that United is "bleeding money like an open-chest wound"? I'm not saying it isn't true (I don't know either way), but how do you know?

Goff, can you confirm this is true? How bad is it, and how long can the owners hold out on a business that is losing (allegedly a lot of) money?

Posted by: David | August 7, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Is Cobi even going to be there? He missed Sunday with a hip flexor. That's not likely to heal very fast on such an old man...

Posted by: Glenn | August 7, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Alec wrote:

***********

I doubt the team's bottom line is anywhere near as dire as you seem to think. Not saying it's hugely profitable but no one with sense would purchase the money loser you described.

It's good to see Ben Olsen's assessment of Sunday's game. Yeah, it was great but they (the Revs) kinda sucked, too.

Posted by: garbaggio | August 7, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

They are not in terrible financial shape. Payne's comment that every month that they remained in RFK they lost millions is deceptive. They are making millions less than they would if they got to collect their own revenue from the gate say...at their own stadium, but they are not actually loosing that money, they are just not recieving it.

Posted by: jgildea8 | August 7, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry about Landon's bald head burning, he has spray on hair now!!! With every remaining galaxy game on ESPN2 he has HD-ified himself, no more embarassing bald spots.

Posted by: J-Mart | August 7, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Anyone going to the screaming eagles or any other supporters club tailgate before the game? First time I plan on hitting the tailgate at a DC United game and was wondering if lots of people would be there. I want to see Donovan and Beckham get into a slapfest after Donovan attempts to take a free kick outside the 18 yd box.

Posted by: thekop | August 7, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I've been giving this some thought. I don't want Beckham to play Thursday. You see, I think he's a pretty good player. And he plays for the bad guys, who might be better with him on the field. That means less chance of us winning. I like winning.

Posted by: Joe S. | August 7, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

ball68-

You just made my head explode.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 7, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ball68 | August 7, 2007 03:03 PM
-------------------------------------------

Or, scoring three goals. One of those three things: being injured, carded or scoring three goals.

At the risk of stating the obvious, 68, cards are not inherently a bad thing. It's part of his role as a mid-field ball-winner to make hard tackles, some of which inevitably lead to cards. Does he sometimes seem to take the enforcer act a little over the top? Absolutely, yes.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

1. Cobi is listed as unavailable on LA's injury list. So, not much danger of seeing him at RFK.

2. Trade Olsen? What are you kidding? he is the heart and soul of United.

Posted by: Pavel | August 7, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Man ball68 - what the heck are you talking about?!

Olsen is one of the best players to wear the Black and Red. He may not score goals all the time or even rack up assists. But he is the guy behind the guy. He gets under the skin of the other team. He wins balls in the middle, up top, or in the back.

There's a reason he wears the captains armband when Jaime is away.

Posted by: DE | August 7, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

ball68, you remind of what David Letterman said about Muammar Khaddafi (sp): Finally, the voice of reason.

Re Beckham: I read the 3-page People magazine spread on the party for him and Posh that TomKat etc. threw, and NOWHERE did it mention MLS or the Galaxy. The MLS folks must be ripping their hair out.

Posted by: gringo | August 7, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Olsen is the Dennis Rodman of this squad without all the psychotic episodes and hairstyles and cross-dressing.

Posted by: morphit | August 7, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

United has operated in the red since the day they opened shop. I recall seeing a document which showed each teams net profit/loss (I believe only 2-3 teams have turned a profit), not too long ago. United and RBNY were the biggest losers, even with United's strong merchandising presence, and solid attendance. Obviously the new TV deals the league has made will soften the losses a bit, but playing at RFK is the equivalent of operating a Dollar Store in a former Hechingers location.

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 7, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Hechinger's, or Hecht's?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 7, 2007 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Hechinger's is correct, this store went out of business on 2000, kinda of Home Depot store

Posted by: tin | August 7, 2007 8:30 PM | Report abuse

DC United along with NYRB are by far the biggest money losers in MLS. This stems from their terrible stadium deals that charge very high rents while providing little or no money from all other revenue streams from concessions to parking to signage and so on.

United loses are in the several million dollars per year range under current conditions. If United had their own SSS, that sea of red moves into black at current attendance levels. Do not underestimate how much SSS do to the bottom line on long term profitability for MLS teams.

Posted by: Nick | August 7, 2007 8:39 PM | Report abuse

tin, I remember Hechinger from my time in the area in the middle 80s. I had to ask, though, because the idea of a dollar store in a Hecht's (upscale department store) location, seemed to me to be more a propos.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 7, 2007 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I'd hardly call RFK "upscale" hence why I used Hechinger's, which I much preferred to Home Depot.

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 7, 2007 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Alec-

I just want to thank you for the Hechinger's ref. We had one at the bottom of the hill from my neighborhood in Fairfax, right near the circle, with the big blue sunshades that looked like giant fingernails. I'm getting all misty for my youth. Oh, by the way, VAMOS UNITED! VAMOS MATAR LAS PUTAS DE LOS ANGELES!

Posted by: grotus | August 8, 2007 8:05 AM | Report abuse

"Do you not understand that United is bleeding money like an open-chest wound? Shelling out a few million bucks, just for the sake of using the DP slot won't solve anything. As long as we play at RFK, every match could be sold out and United would still be in the red. If I were Macfarlane and Chang, I wouldn't plop down that kind of change on a player until ground was at least broken on our new stadium."

It's good to see that I am not the only one he thinks your comments are a bit overstated. You have no idea what type of financial shape United is in. However, you can see that this team is inconsistent. Another player either a winger or Defensive Midfielder would guarantee us as the best team in MLS.

Posted by: wake up payne | August 8, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse