United News & Notes (updated)

*Some good news for Josh Gros. After seeing a specialist in Pittsburgh, he learned that his problem has more to do with migraines than concussions. It's still a serious issue, but he has been cleared to start exercising and the club is optimistic he could resume regular training next week. (He worked out lightly this morning at the RFK training grounds.) This does not mean you will see him in a league match right away, but it is an encouraging sign for a possible return.

Here's what Josh had to say: "It went all right. They told me it wasn't a concussion, it was migraine, but the thing is I've had concussions and I've had migraines and both have the same symptoms for me. Distinguishing which one is which is the hard part. I'm going to try the medicine they gave me and see if it works."

"I am definitely more optimistic, but I've had more than my fair share of concussions. ... Ever since I was out, I've been thinking about what I am going to do after soccer. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to come back or not. I'm still concerned, it's still scary, to get hit in the head, to have blurry vision. My health is important, not just as a player, but 10-15 years down the road."

*Luciano Emilio, who missed last weekend's match at Toronto with a strained hamstring, worked out on his own this morning and did not participate in the full-field scrimmage. He still seems questionable for Saturday at Dallas, but Tom Soehn said he will return to regular training Thursday. Ben Olsen (ankle) played in the scrimmage and seems set to start Saturday.

*The team is planning to formally honor Jaime Moreno for his record 109th career goal prior to the Sept. 9 match against New England at RFK. United will also show its appreciation to Eddie Pope in a pregame ceremony before the Real Salt Lake game three days later.

*I'm hearing that Denilson's contract is not guaranteed next season and that, if Dallas decides to pick up the option, they will have to pay him in excess of $1 million. I believe he is earning the equivalent of 750K annually this season, but still waiting for the exact figures.

I will post my exclusive interview with Bobby Boswell later.....Be sure to check back.....

By Steve Goff  |  August 29, 2007; 12:41 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Women's League Delay and Other Stuff
Next: A Conversation With Bobby Boswell

Comments

Good Work, Goff. How do Carroll and Boswells attitudes/practices seem? Just wondering for no particular reason.

Great news for Gros.

Posted by: Thanks for the updates | August 29, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Wish I could be there. Congrats to Jaime, again.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Seems strange that denilson would come here for a few months.

must of wanted out of the middle east very babdly

Posted by: vasco | August 29, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Would love more on Boswell and Carroll.

any vibes?

Posted by: vasco | August 29, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I love speculation! Man, if Boswell is traded, that would be one of the more crazy mid-season switcheroos that I can remember. From massive RFK signage, central defender, and public face of organization to Columbus Crew.

Mind you I'm not saying it's significant due to talent (no offense to BB, but he's not the league's best defender), just the prominence.

Any old-timers have other big whopper midseason trades to throw out there?

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 29, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Sure - I've heard rumblings of DeRoux for a pair of socks.

Ok, your turn.

Posted by: iammrben | August 29, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I've been gone for a few days on vacation... What is this talk about trading Boswell? What did I miss? 'Splain, pleez...

Posted by: Soy United! | August 29, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Some would argue the Roy Wegerle for Roy Lassiter trade in 1998 was one of the biggest one-sided deals in league history.

Posted by: mkpage | August 29, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the updates. It is good to hear Gros is more optimistic, but migraines as well as multiple concussions are still dangerous. I hope Luciano is well soon. We'll need him.

Posted by: sitruc | August 29, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Well, at least when we play @ Chivas, Josh can get the right medication to treat his migraines...might not be able to bring it back with him on the plane, though...

Posted by: EdTheRed | August 29, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

you are such a tease.

Posted by: Glenn | August 29, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Great news on Josh. hope to see him again soon. we need BB, forget about vanny. Vanny is just to slow and has shown questionable decision making.

Posted by: Andrew | August 29, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bart | August 29, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I was against the vanney trade, that is until he came in, instantly calmed down the back line and added better offensive distribution. But you're right that one goal we gave up in the last 5 games is too much! Off with his head!

Posted by: DCAustinite | August 29, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Josh is what, 25? 10-15 years down the road is not far enough, think 50-70. I've loved him as a player, but I hope he hangs them up. Whether migraines or concussions, if relatively routine balls to the head have these kind of effects, he'd better pay attention while he still can.

Posted by: just sayin | August 29, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

"Lots of honoring going on at DC United. Must be a good reflection on the club that all these ex and current players are reaching these landmarks."

And then there's Cobi Jones. . . .

Posted by: UVA to RFK | August 29, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

"Well, at least when we play @ Chivas, Josh can get the right medication to treat his migraines."

He can ask to be traded to Toronto.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 29, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Gros should give Chelsea's Petr Cech a call...

Posted by: Juan-John | August 29, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Gros: Hi
Cech: What?
Gros: Who is this?
Cech: Chocolate.
Gros: What?
Cech: What?

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 29, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Any comments on the Bad Brains DC United song that MLS released as part of its new MLS Adidas Represent campaign? I love any song that mentions Luciano Emilio!

Posted by: Good Brain | August 29, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I love how everybody is throwing Boswell under the bus. One part of a season at an average level and away you go!

Posted by: Sean | August 29, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I keep checking back and no boswell news yet.... humpf!

Posted by: therealfan | August 29, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

therealfan - try refreshing the page. Goff posted the interview in a new thread at 2:56.

Posted by: emanon | August 29, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I think that Bad Brains song is garbage. Hell, I'd have rather had Dave Chapelle do another remix of "I'm gonna pee on you (RBNY Golden Shower version)" At the very least it should have been a Go-Go band like Backyard or Junkyard.

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 29, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Logan Circle, I don't know what the heck you're smoking when you should be working, but that's hilarious!

Seriously though, I'm a migraine sufferer myself, and I know I'm always hesitant to go in for headers. Which can really hurt your game. But the alternative is driving home from the match with a blinding headache. I don't know about the long term affects. I feel for the guy, cause migraines blow, big time.

Posted by: Matt | August 29, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

anyone have a link or lyrics to the song?

Posted by: emanon | August 29, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

"Gros: Hi
Cech: What?
Gros: Who is this?
Cech: Chocolate.
Gros: What?
Cech: What?"

Funniest bloody post I've ever read...

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 29, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

"Gros: Hi
Cech: What?
Gros: Who is this?
Cech: Chocolate.
Gros: What?
Cech: What?"

Funniest bloody post I've ever read...

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 29, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

But not so funny to reply twice.

Sorry fellas.

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 29, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Soy United!-

Here's your explanation:

Comments on this and a couple other posts by SG figure that, since we haven't used Boswell in a few games, we are surely trading him. This, despite there being no evidence of such a thing, and the fact that we are still very thin at center back, even keeping him (an injury and a suspension and guess what? Simms is shifting back again).

Boswell's not getting traded.

"It was a 'Jump to Conclusions' mat. You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor... and would have different conclusions written on it that you could jump to!"

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 29, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life, Tom.

Posted by: Michael Bolton | August 29, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Yes, this is horrible, this idea.

Thanks Chest. from Leesburg.

Posted by: Samir | August 29, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Excuse my insensitivity, but Gros needs to get back on the field as soon as possible. Not that migraines aren't serious in their own right, but they are an entirely different situation from concussions. When Gros says, "Whoa hold on, I'm not playing against Chivas, no way," to me that sends the wrong message. Sure he might not play, but his tone should be that he's doing everything he can to get ready to play again.

At the end of the day, I trust an expert physician's decision to clear Gros to play.

Posted by: Nick | August 30, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse