USA Women, U-17s Win

In their final tuneup before the Women's World Cup, the Americans routed Finland, 4-0, at Home Depot Center on goals by Boxx, Lilly, O'Reilly and Tarpley. But star striker Abby Wambach left in the 27th minute with a toe injury and was scheduled to have X-rays.

Said Coach Greg Ryan: " We hope that she is fine, and it's just a sprain or something like that. I'm not even going to think about it yet. Abby's tough enough where we'll throw a cast on her and she'll play anyway. She's an awfully tough kid. In the CONCACAF qualifying tournament, she was on a bad ankle that entire Gold Cup, and she scored the goals to get us into the World Cup, so I am confident that Abby will be fine."

Ryan's starting XI was Solo, Rampone, Whitehill, Markgraf, Lopez, Boxx, Chalupny, O'Reilly, Tarpley, Wambach and Lilly. Asked if that will be his lineup vs. North Korea in the World Cup opener Sept. 11, Ryan said: "It's very likely, we will just have to wait and see. This is a very good group, a very mobile team. We've also got some other good people who are right there as well."

The U.S. team will depart for China on Monday, train in Shanghai for about a week, then move camp to Chengdu in south-central China for its first two matches.

Meantime in South Korea, the U.S. under-17 boys' team knocked off Belgium, 2-0, for its first win and a spot in the U-17 World Cup round of 16. They'll play Germany on Thursday.

By Steve Goff  |  August 26, 2007; 9:00 AM ET
Categories:  Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Aftermath
Next: I'm Not in Europe, Am I?

Comments

u-17 team had a ton of good build up and opportunities to score. just need to finish better.

Posted by: hokie soccer fan | August 26, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Is it just my imagination, or in the last couple of matches, did we see Lopez taking both left-footed and right-footed corner kicks?

Posted by: Section 410 | August 26, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I noticed that, too. Lopez seems to have taken over the corner kick duties entirely.

I thought the US had one of its best performances against a defensive-minded team in a couple of years. I hope Abby's injury turns out to be minor, but it was nice to see the team perform at a high level without her.

I'm glad we've got the Soccer Insider. I know Goff has already activated his network of highly trained operatives to obtain secret copies of Abby's x-rays so anxious fans such as myself can find out the extent of the injury.

Posted by: Ash | August 26, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

This is carried over from the 'Fire Soehn' debacle in the prior post, but why aren't our washingtonpost.com accounts used for making blog comments as well? It would probably help curtail the problem of that Jerkstore signing dozens of posts with different names but the same worthless message.

Posted by: Colm | August 26, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Boy, the U-17 better treat this as what it really is, manna from heaven. There is absolutely no way this team deserved to advance based on the atrocious displays in the first two games, and if either Japan or Korea could have finished any better they would be on a plane home now. Hopefully they've learned a needed lesson about humility and effort and will be ready for a really solid Germany squad on Thursday (Wednesday overnight).

Posted by: Throwin | August 26, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Not having access to ESPNU, I've seen very little of the U17 squad in action. Does anyone on the side hold any promise of being the Adu or Altidore or Zizzo of tomorrow?

Posted by: Section 410 | August 26, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Yes, there are several highly thought-of players in the U-17 team. Alex Nimo is the most recognised I believe.

Posted by: Max | August 26, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

...if either Japan or Korea could have finished any better they would be on a plane home now.

Posted by: Throwin | August 26, 2007 12:17 PM
__________________________________________

Actually, the USA finished second in its group, so it is Tajikistan that would have lost out if Japan or Korea had done better. But your larger point is quite correct; this level of play won't cut it in the knockout phase.

Posted by: Section 410 | August 26, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Some really nice goals by the WNT, with several different players getting to share of the feast. I hope Abby isn't injured too badly. With Heather Mitts already gone, I'm down to my last fellow Gator on the team.

Each player who was interviewed was asked what Abby's injury means for the team and each gave the same answer: a lot of players are able to step up, but they may have to play fewer early balls into the box. After the first two responses, you'd think the sideline reporter would get the picture.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 26, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

*WNT bigger, faster, stronger, deeper than 2003. The competition will be too.

*Rampone and Lopez have tremendous service. Seems to be overlooked.

*Federation website says Wambach's X-rays show no serious injury.

*North Korea may be a steel cage match. I believe in qualifying they were sanctioned for attacking and kicking the ref after a game against China. Good we have some Jersey girls on the squad, and Markgraf, as things could get ugly.

*In the words of Flounder: "This is going to be great."

Posted by: WNT fan | August 27, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse

PS -- I-270 Gator -- just read that a local player from Good Counsel (and national player pool) just committed to FLA.

Posted by: WNT fan | August 27, 2007 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the updates WNT fan. Gainesville's heat and humidity is the crucible for endurance training.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 27, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse