What Will Happen First.....

D.C. United scores on the road?
Real Salt Lake wins a game?
Beckham actually plays?

Tough one, huh?

Before you make your pick, here's some background:

*Since winning 2-1 at Toronto in May, United has scored two goals in seven road matches overall, including U.S. Open Cup and SuperLiga. Both goals were by Luciano Emilio -- one in late-game desperation at RSL and the other against the run of play in K.C. Next up is a trip Sunday to New England, which shut out Eddie Johnson and Kansas City, 2-0, last night. (Highlights here.)

*One-win and Freddy-less RSL hosts match-weary Houston on Saturday night and welcomes Chicago two weeks later, then will play five of its next six on the road. Grim.

*MLS mystery man Becks probably won't play at Toronto on Sunday and may not be available Thursday against United at RFK. Thankfully for BSPN (in case you missed it, we changed ESPN's name a few weeks ago to Beckham Soccer Programming Network), he will travel with the team and, if we're lucky, wave to the crowd and give a revealing sideline interview to a giddy reporter while the match continues. Ohhhhh.....

Now this is not a big problem for Toronto, which sells out every game regardless of the visiting club, but in Washington, 20,000 fans purchased upper-deck tickets at inflated prices to see Beckham play. If the seats were available at a normal price and Becks didn't play, well, too bad. But when the cost is increased for a special occasion and that special occasion does not materialize, you might have some grumbling customers. I'm just saying.....

Okay, so you have your choices: a DCU road goal, an RSL win or a Beckham appearance?

By Steve Goff  |  August 3, 2007; 9:55 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Freddy Getting Ready
Next: United's Lineup Options

Comments

road goals - Gomito & Fred - we win 2-1 - Twellman (of course) gets the Revs through sloppy United defending.

Posted by: grotus | August 3, 2007 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Beckham, of course.

Depends in part of the definition of "appearance" -- I assume you mean "Becks plays during a scheduled match."

He'll make a token appearance, much as he did vs. Chelsea, in the final minutes of a game quite soon, I think.

Before then, sure, there will be ample time to focus the camera on the Galaxy bench.....pretty up, lads!

Posted by: don't believe the HYPE! | August 3, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

If DC can spank the LaLas, it will do a lot to quiet the anger of the crowd. But if DC loses, expect some boos to reign from the upper deck.

Beckham should have never played in the Chelsea game. I bet that set him back a week.

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 3, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

D.) Hell freezes over.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 3, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

so if yesterday he was just able to run on a treadmill, what are the odds that he'll be in any kind of game shape a week later?

Posted by: pat | August 3, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Sorry in advance for the negativity. But this Beckham thing is turning into a huge embarassment for MLS. They had seriously hope he can get on the field soon.

MLS has willfully and gleefully attracted all of this attention. Its going to really stink for all of us longtime MLS fans and soccer supporters if this debacle continues. Going to have to spend another five years listening to the soccer haters point to this episode as proof positive that soccer has no place in the US.

Posted by: jasonVA | August 3, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Not playing in DC? Wow. I'm in TX on biz travel and attended tuesday's game. There is a lot of anger here in the Dallas populus about beckham not even coming and getting splinters on the bench. He needs to travel even if he can't play so he can wave and sign autographs and give interviews. Everyone who bought tickets to this game expecting Him (because it was marketed that He would be there) is ticked off about the no show.

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | August 3, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I believe Fred can't score on Sunday at NE because of his harsh, 93rd minute straight red card for the studs-up challenge at NYRB in the last MLS game.

But I think DCU will score this weekend and win the game at NE.

Posted by: tmc | August 3, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

As a "displaced for the summer" RSL fan, I'm praying for a win, but not holding my breath. As for the Beckham match, I wanted to take my dad to a game while he was visiting and I got stuck with overpriced upper bowl tickets. We couldn't care less about seeing Beckham play, I just wish we could have got better seats.

My money's on a DC road goal, courtesy of Emilio.

Thanks for having me in your city and at your games this summer.

Posted by: Brian | August 3, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Beckham will play vs Toronto, D.C., and every other city he vists...Albeit in a limited role ala Chelsea. He has to do this or the league is going to take some serious backlash.

Posted by: strago | August 3, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Any chance Beckham would play in the semifinal game for the SuperLiga? Isn't that game going to be held in DC?

Posted by: WDC | August 3, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I would go with RSL winning. Houston is going to be exhausted. Of course a DC road goal would make this fan extremely giddy.

Posted by: DC fan | August 3, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

the LA v DC SuperLiga game is in LA.

Posted by: pat | August 3, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

The DC United v. LA Galaxy SuperLiga match will be played in Carson, California.

My predictions: He will enter in the 80th minute against Toronto and at the half in DC.

United will score and draw this weekend 1-1. The goal scorer will be someone we don't expect like Josh Gros.

As far as I can tell Salt Lake no longer has a squad. I believe they have a USL2 team...

Posted by: SuperLiga in LA | August 3, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Good point on the inflated ticket prices. Soccer fans aren't really going to care about the extra cost; but there are a whole lot of folks who aren't hard core soccer folks who are going to feel a bit ripped off. It sure would be nice of DC to offer anyone in the upper deck a free ticket to an upcoming weekday game (no one's going to take the bait... and it's not like they're going to lose any money as no one goes to weekday games anyway....)

Of Course, if Posh was on hand to walk thru the upper decks then that'd be worth the cost, as well...

Posted by: Hacksaw | August 3, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Real Salt Lake? Has anyone ever met the king or queen of Utah?

asitis

Posted by: asitis | August 3, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Why isn't Middle East Peace one of your choices?
I am a die-hard homer, so I'll say Jaime scores in NE this weekend. Twice.

MLS's Marketing and PR department is pathetic, sad, and weak - they deserve all the bad press and angry fans they get - however, I hate to see it as it negatively affects the league and team I love (United).

I mostly blame Leiweke and Lalas, but Garber jumped right in and his guys have really screwed the pooch with this whole marketing campaign. And all the teams just went along like little lapdogs, it really is pathetic not one of them could have handled Beckham's arrival without being greed-heads instead of ethical businessmen.

They learned absolutely nothing from how poorly they handled Freddy. Especially the guys in DC's FO who really should have known better.

I don't feel bad for any fans who show up and don't get to see Beckham, but I can empathize with their being upset at United and MLS, we are too, albeit for different reasons :-)

Posted by: Lonnie | August 3, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

The he!! with RSL and Becks, I'm a DC United fan, and that's what I care about. Give me the road goal with a side of pico de gallo, please.

Posted by: Throwin | August 3, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I am in FL, my wife and me are going to DC to attend Thursday game Beckham/Galaxy vs DCU, we are expecting to see him playing the game, we love DCU.

Posted by: OrlandoGator | August 3, 2007 11:31 AM | Report abuse

(E) Posh eats a cheeseburger

Posted by: silentbob | August 3, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

DC will win in NE. Becks will play at RFK and RSL will get another win eventually. All you people need to get off the ledge.

Posted by: Chico | August 3, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I don't fault MLS for getting what they could out of Becks' debut. This league needs money where it can get it. It sucks that it has been all but a worst case scenario thus far, but I doubt most MLS execs would do it differently if they had another chance. A sold out RFK in midseason without having to arrange for an expensive Prem team to fly in is a real money maker.

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 3, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

You are dead on about the legit complaints we'll have here. I just purchased 4 tickets from a guy today as a matter of fact. While I'm a United fan and really want my son to experience possibly the best atmosphere he'll see in the states unless the WC comes back I think the fact that tickets were jacked up for this game and for Becks is a problem if he doesn't play. Then there truly will be a PR mess, if you buy regular price and he doesn't play oh well but basically double the cost and in the upper deck...thats a problem....

Free voucher for a future game this season on certain nights against weaker opponents would be an option United might want to consider.....

Posted by: Piney O | August 3, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I think the overall MLS FO greed is going to be the big problem if Beckham doesn't play at these places. I think most people understand if a guy is injured then it is just part of the deal or risk in buying advance tickets. It was like when Jordan played against the Western Conf. teams in the NBA once a year at their place - if he was out then it was just part of the deal.

The MLS problem is that they jacked up the prices and made it a cash grab and not just a bonus to selling the game to a broader audience. It's one thing to put it as part of a multi-game package, it's another to package it AND inflate it. When you go down that road, you run a big risk of resentment and anger if Beckham doesn't play or even appear. By selling individuals and not teams, this can be the downside.

At least no one will have the problem as bad as Dallas: first, you jack up all Superliga tickets and don't put the Mexican games in the season package so you end up with lower attendance mostly for the Mexican teams; second, Beckham doesn't show and you only have a day or two to figure out an alternate plan and three, as exciting as the game was with the goals, you go down 4-0 in 20 minutes and deflate the crowd that paid the jacked up prices!

Posted by: JJ | August 3, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I could care less about Beckham. I just hope United kicks the Gals ass and scores 3-4 goals and the fans cheer loudly for the home team.

There is no MLS stadium that can get as loud as RFK when it is a full house (very few NFL stadiums can for that matter).

I hope our team plays well enough to get the crowd going, feed off of it and then later have the desire to see that again and play their way into the MLS Cup so we can have another packed house in Nov.

Posted by: Get Bent, Becks. | August 3, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

while RSL may manage to hang with a tired Houston I can't see them actually winning.

Luckily for us it looks like Jaime is ready to play again. How many of the games during this bad road streak has he played in? Any? He was gone for a long time with the Bolivians and then got hurt right away when he came back. So, I think with his addition to the team and the reintroduction of Namoff into the backline we can let Gros play the Fred midfield spot. I think we will score at least one goal Sunday.

I like the Becks-o-meter in the paper today. I was amused by the attempted lowering of expectations on BSPN last night during the game. Stone claimed to have just received a text message from Lalas telling people they never promised Beckham would ever actually play a game, so if you bought a ticket to see him (because we hyped him from here to eternity) you are a stupid person because of course no one can ever guarantee that any one person will actually take part in a game. Silly you! But we have your money now so nyah nyah nyah! My guess is he won't play Sunday but will make a very brief appearance on Thursday depending on how the game happens to be unfolding. Hopefully the people at RFK will cheer for DC United and be there to see Becks as a curiosity, not to cheer for him and his team.

Posted by: Glenn | August 3, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Could Donovan just play in a Beckham jersey?

Half the people wouldn't know the difference...and he will score a goal at RFK. His wife could even dress like Posh!

DC won't score on the road until we play the San Jose expansion team in 2008. 1-1 draw.

I'll bet on SLC.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 3, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

"His wife could even dress like Posh!"

Bianca Kajlich is a horrible actress, but she is a zillion times hotter than Posh.

Posted by: silentbob | August 3, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Road goal this weekend.

Posted by: Kevin | August 3, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

people are going to complain no matter what. if MLS hadn't arranged the schedule this way then Columbus or whoever would be complaining that the one game they get to have against LA at home happened in May and they are getting less ticket revenue than the other teams.

The best case scenario would have been for LA to pay the transfer fee to avoid the possibility of an injury anyways, but they have benefitted from him playing out his contract at Madrid as much as anyone. Last fall, he was washed up, etc., and his resurgence at Madrid has greatly improved how people view his coming to MLS.

the guy got hurt, it happens, get over it.

Posted by: pat | August 3, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

How far does MLS go to appease fans with unralistic expectations? Some Johnny-come-latelys will be disappointed if Becks plays and doesn't score 3 goals. Should they get a refund too?

DC United routinely sells season tickets and multi-game packages before single-game tickets are available. So their approach to the Beckham match has precedent. Besides, if people are going to bid for having their child walk on the field with St. David, they will pay for anything.

"I hope our team plays well enough to get the crowd going, "

If St. David does not play, the 30,000 will leave after the opening kickoff. If St. David does play, they will cheer for him.

Let's agree to blame the whole injury thing on Capello.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 3, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I doubt DC will score an away goal until October - assuming they make the play-offs and Becks is seriously hurt. So my pick is RSL wins a game...

Posted by: bobF | August 3, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

as a regular dcu fan, i could care less if Becks plays or shows up or whatever. but i do care that they ask me to pay more for a ticket for this game. even if he plays, it's still irritating. if not, doubly so. league/club have to handle this wisely.

Posted by: mlsucks | August 3, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

As a long time, die hard DCU fan, I would love to see David Beckham play.

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 3, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Fair question; unfair analysis.

This is the second or third time you've editorialized on the issue of the increased prices for the Beckham game, and I think it's a little unfair to the DC United front office.

Yes, people will be upset if Beckham doesn't playing. Yes, DC should make some effort to appease people for his absence to create goodwill -- it's in their own self interest.

But the fact they charged a premium for this game is neither here nor there. The demand was high and DC United sold tickets in good faith. Why you hatin'?

Posted by: Arrrlington | August 3, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Road goals galore from our ace Benny and his beard. I sense he's got another natural hat trick in him.

Posted by: Beans | August 3, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

road goal of course. i truly don't care if RSL ever wins a game. Why should I? I don't support them. I dont' want to hear any "you should support the league" nonsense either. I do support the league, by supporting my United!!

Becks? Again, I truly don't care if he plays either. I've seen him play for ManU -- he was good. He still is good. I've been at RFK long before Becks, and will be there long after Becks.

Yes MLS screwed up with the promotion? Or did they? They can't help he is hurt. The promotion started before he left Spain.

If you buy a ticket to anything and something happens to someone, tough. Part of the risk. If DCU chooses to make amends in the form of a voucher for another game, then great. DCU won't lose any money because we all know RFK is sold out to see Beckham. If it were Galaxy pre-Becks, there would be 14k-18k there on a Thursday night.

Road goal. Either in NE, or against the Galaxy in Superliga.

Posted by: steve | August 3, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

My vote goes to a RSL goal...

I will be going to the DCU/LA game regardless but If people don't come to the game because Becks isn't there/playing, I will simply "take one for the team" and move myself down to the lower bowl so there's not an empty stadium for ESPN2s primetime game :0)

Posted by: HFIC | August 3, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

"If DCU chooses to make amends in the form of a voucher for another game, then great. "

Chivas game! It will block out all the Chivas fans from buying all the tickets and it will give us good home support. Even if only 5,000 from the Beckham game come, its 5,000 more non-Chivas fans.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 3, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Add me to the list of people who don't understand the complaints about prices being higher for the Beckham game. It's called Economics 101. If you didn't want to pay a higher-than-usual price, nobody forced you to. You chose to. It was always a possibility, as it is in any match, that a certain player might not play. That's the chance you take when you watch a live sporting event. Same deal applies if you buy a ticket to see a play or a concert.

I don't think DCU has any explaining to do at all.

Posted by: MattM | August 3, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

As a late twentysomething woman in DC, I can tell you that a whole lot of people who aren't interested in soccer have bought tickets to the RFK game expecting to see David Beckham play. They think its like buying a ticket to a music concert -- you pay your money and see the person perform.

These people don't (yet) follow soccer, they don't know he is injured. If he plays, it will be sunshine and birds. If he doesn't, it's going to be really bad. People are going to be angry and hold using him to publicize the sport. I am concerned that him not showing up will turn people off it.

To anyone who argues, "Oh, well, we don't want those people at RFK, anyway," I say: If you want this league to flourish, then you do want them there.

Posted by: Juliet | August 3, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

RSL wins. Final answer.

Posted by: morphit | August 3, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

i love the back and forth debate.....
its a good sign for the league
please stop calling it BSPN, this is juvenile and its not cute nor funny.

why waste the time on this.....we all can make up little jokes....focus on what makes this forum great....

Posted by: yorke | August 3, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Actually, it's Marketing 101, not Econ. They advertised a product, placed a price on it, created a perception of it and then did not deliver it. I really wish Beckham Self Promotion Network 2 had not picked up the TOR game. They are half the blame for this hype.

BTW, wuz in Frisco on Tuesday, take the metro. I got into the game in the 38th minute due to traffic. In fact, leave work now.

Posted by: AndrewM | August 3, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Actually, no, AndrewM, it IS Economics 101. Supply and demand. Prices were higher because the good being sold was perceived as being more valuable. If anybody thinks going to a sporting event guarantees a player will be playing, they're fooling themselves. Why is there a different standard for this game than for any other game in any other sport?

Old phrase: caveat emptor. Live it.

Posted by: MattM | August 3, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Did they really raise the prices for tickets for this game? I seem to remember that tickets for the upper deck were always more money. I just associated that with the fact that they would have to staff those sectinos for the game.

Doing a quick search through ticketmaster shows that the most expensive ticket is $45 in the upper deck. For the 8/22 Red Bulls game upper deck tickets range from $35-45. So I don't think the raising of ticket prices is a fair arguement.

I do think it is fair when you consider that a lot of people may have bought those 4 game packages for the game in order to get tickets.

Posted by: Tickets? | August 3, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Juliet,

In the long term, and even in the medium term, the types of people you describe are not going to be part of a flourishing MLS. They do have value in the short term, and that's not irrelevant. Having them all upset is not good for the league. Nonetheless, they will ultimately only be good for maybe one Beckham game a year while he's in the league.

Posted by: Justin | August 3, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

"Actually, no, AndrewM, it IS Economics 101. Supply and demand. Prices were higher because the good being sold was perceived as being more valuable."

True. The Nats do it every year when the Cubs come to town. When the Yankees came last year for three sold-out games, no one complained about the higher ticket prices (although yeah, it could be said that the team's mystique outshone any of the individual players).

And also, that five-game "STARS" package that DCU was marketing included the RSL game with a little "Freddy Returns" label on it. So anyone who bought that package based solely on the hope of seeing the featured players is definitely screwed for one game of that package (RSL), and now possibly two (LAG). C'est la vie. If I weren't traveling next week, I'd be there regardless.

Posted by: Juan-John | August 3, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

-----

I believe those are for mezzanine or upper level of the lower bowl. The team typically does not sell upper deck tickets.

Posted by: Goff | August 3, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I'm a DC fan, but if I have to pay $60 a ticket through STUBHUB...I would like to see him...sorry if that makes me a prick, but I want to see him play...

Posted by: Bill | August 3, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I left an upper decker in my friend's bowl once. He didn't seem to appreciate that.

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 3, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"...a whole lot of people who aren't interested in soccer have bought tickets [...] expecting to see David Beckham play [...] like buying a ticket to a music concert..."

I get your point, but these people must ask themselves, "if I buy tickets to see a football/baseball/basketball game to see a specific player and he doesn't play because he is injured/suspended/jailed, do I deserve a refund? Those who answer "yes" won't be part of the growing fan base.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 3, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | August 3, 2007 02:00 PM
Sorry, I forgot to add my name because my boss came in to distract me about some irrelvant thing concerning the stuff I'm paid to do.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 3, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Right now this is a very bad D.C. United squad. The next road goal could come in September on an own goal.

Becky will play in the 60th minute on Thursday. Someone from MLS will tell him to suck it up and take a pain killing shot.
The league needs this guy to play on Thursday night.

Adios Adu. Much nothing about Adu. He's all yours Portugal.

Posted by: DCU in NoVA | August 3, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

"This happens all the time in Opera and Broadway too, when an understudy fills in for an ailing star."

And a lotta times, the understudy winds up giving a waaaayyyyyy better performance than the star! (Isn't that how Laurence Olivier was discovered?) :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | August 3, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Goff, it's DC's front office who made that decision, and according to DC's fans, they don't make any mistakes. If any casual, curiosity-seeking matchgoers are angry at paying inflated prices for Beckham, and don't get to see him, those fans are in the wrong. Anyhow, it wouldn't be Beckham's absence they're upset about-- they probably will all have had bad clams casino for lunch.

What I want to know: when is DC's first game in the UEFA Champions League?

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | August 3, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

"What I want to know: when is DC's first game in the UEFA Champions League?"

Before New York's.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 3, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Today's winners: Chico and MattM. Nicely said.

RSL will hang with Houston, but lose 2-1 on a late goal from Ngwenya. It will be another loss in which they talk about how they felt they did well.

Beckham will come on as a sub in DC, somewhere after the 70th minute. Toronto's turf will preclude his involvement there. People will complain unless Beckham scores 30 goals, turns water into wine, and spends one full day hanging out with each person in attendance.

DC will score against the Revs thanks to the return of Moreno. I don't predict results due to superstition, but I do believe we will score.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 3, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Well said, Chest.

Posted by: Goff | August 3, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

D) Hell freezes over.

Due to Global Warming, there is consequently Infernal Cooling. Charon is reporting icebergs in the river Styx and Cerberus wants to be let into the house because his paws are getting frostbite. StormCenter is reporting frost warnings in the Garden of the Hesperides.

Seriously, look for DCU this weekend to reap the benefits of a recovering Moreno.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 3, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

(F) Posh reads a book

Posted by: Coach.Doug | August 3, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

You can debate whether people should be reasonable about Beckham not playing, but the truth is a large number of those people will be angry if he doesn't play, regardless of whether their anger is justified.

If Beckham plays, the people who bought tickets to see him will be much happier. Primarily due to the 'I saw Beckham' factor, but because of better play on the pitch as well*. The happier people are, the more positive they will be about the whole experiance. Some of the good feelings will associate with MLS and soccer in general. In turn, the memories of the experiance will encourage some of the Beckham fans to watch soccer games on TV, at bars, and maybe attend additional games.

The soccer fanbase in the US isn't going to multiply overnight and for many the Beckham game they attend will be the last soccer match they go see, but this is still a valuable opportunity to continue growing the fanbase.

*- Yes the play will likely be better if Becks is in the game. He is a very good player in of himself and his passing ought to improve the play of the Galaxy (who desperately need it). I also think opposing teams will get amp'd up to 'prove' themselves vs a worldclass player.

Posted by: noptov52 | August 3, 2007 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Latest rumor out of LA-la land is that Beckham won't start in an LAG match until August 15th. He has supposedly participated in ONE (1) practice so far this season (and that was brief and only for the cameras). Alexi Lalas was quoted as saying "if we had to do it over again" he wouldn't have played against Chelsea.

I think this is looking ugly for DCU. At a minimum, there is going to have to be some kind of refund or compensation for the folks who paid extra amounts in tickets to see Beckham.

Posted by: JoeW | August 4, 2007 9:10 AM | Report abuse

And the winner is...
(Don't look if you don't want to know.)

RSL
Not my guess.

Posted by: asitis | August 4, 2007 11:01 PM | Report abuse

WWWOO HOOO - I got it right!!

RSL won last night!!

Posted by: BobF | August 5, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Looks like since RSL won and DC lit up the Revs on the road, Becks will have to play Thursday. Don't these things happen in 3's?

Posted by: Miss the Mark | August 6, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse