Matchday 22: DCU at Dallas [updated!]

You are not in Frisco...and neither am I.

With only a few days until I depart for China (stopping in L.A. on the way for the DCU-Chivas USA game Thursday), I decided not to travel this weekend. So my ace Steve Davis, formerly with the Dallas Morning News and now a must-read on ESPN.com and elsewhere, will cover tonight's match for The Post.

Meanwhile, I will be watching on TV and joining y'all for in-game commentary right here on the Insider.

For more about United's defense, proceed to my game preview.

One early note to pass along: Upon his return to Washington on Sunday, Jaime Moreno, MLS career goals leader, will meet up with Barry Bonds, MLB home run king, at RFK Stadium following the Nationals-Giants game. The meeting was arranged by Will Chang, who is an investor in both United and the Giants.

As usual, this is the place for pregame, in-game and postgame discussion.....

DCU STARTING LINEUP
Perkins; Namoff, Boswell, Vanney, Burch; Fred, Simms, Gomez, Olsen; Moreno, Emilio.

By Steve Goff  |  September 1, 2007; 2:31 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Adu Scores Twice (Fro, Not Freddy)
Next: If the Playoffs Started Today.....

Comments

Ok what's the real deal with Boswell? Is it a case of him just being unlucky that the defense is playing so well without him? Or is there a real reason behind him not even getting a single minute in the past 3(?) matches?

Posted by: Bart | September 1, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

VAMOS LUCI! Put some more in the net!

VAMOS Jaimito! Add another to the record!

VAMOS Clyde! Give Denilson a nice welcome!

VAMOS UNTED!! Another 3 points!

Posted by: Soy United! | September 1, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

VAMOS LUCI! Put some more in the net!

VAMOS Jaimito! Add another to the record!

VAMOS Clyde! Give Denilson a nice welcome!

VAMOS UNITED!! Another 3 points!

Posted by: Soy United! | September 1, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm betting on Benny to give Denilson a nice welcome to MLS.

Posted by: CY | September 1, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey, wait... I am in Frisco. I live here now, and several of us will be cheering loudly for the Black and Red at tonight's match. Glad to carry the flag while the team's in Dallas. Get 'em UNITED!

Posted by: Markus | September 1, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Herr Goff,

Will you still be doing the Insider while in China or will you have guest bloggers of sorts?

Posted by: Sean | September 1, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I nominate Chest Rockwell or I-270 to guest blog while Goff's gone.

Posted by: Arrrlington | September 1, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Ives is reporting Szetela to Racing Santander for two years is a done deal. Any thoughts?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 1, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

So the idea Sunday is home run record holder meets goal record holder. Barry has already worn a DC United shirt. Hope this doesn't mean Jaime is going to put on a Giants shirt...that would upset this Dodger fan.

Posted by: seahawkdad | September 1, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

You know, I was ready to tee off on Steve Davis for the following on Soccernet's USA home page:

"The folly of relying on one player to sell an entire league has been underscored by David Beckham's injury, writes Steve Davis."

Then I read the article and Steve Davis didn't put it in those words. Shame on whomever writes these blurbs.

Arrrlington: thanks for the nom. If elected, I will keep Soccer Insider safe from the terrorists.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 1, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

re World Cup coverage of blog
"As he did last summer when I was in Germany, Dan "Bog Man" Steinberg will cover United while I am gone. He will cover DCU as a beat and contribute to both the Soccer Insider and the Sports Bog. I can't tell you how happy I am about this development. He will do a great job again."
Posted by: Goff | August 26, 2007 05:15 PM

Posted by: emanon | September 1, 2007 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Barry can give Jaime some "advice" on how to rejuvenate his career!

Posted by: Duke Cuneo | September 1, 2007 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Am I mistaken or was that a "Used Cars" reference you dropped in there at the end?

Posted by: A Rickey | September 1, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

I hope Bonds doesn't have any of those steriod creams on his hands when they meet - the only asterisk that should accompany Jamie's spot in the MLS record books should note that time when he bleached his hair.

Posted by: MK | September 1, 2007 6:20 PM | Report abuse

The thread has been updated with the DCU starting lineup -- Boswell is back!

Posted by: Goff | September 1, 2007 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Catching some of the NY-Chicago game before DC's ... Altidore isn't on the game day roster. He's out with calf injury.

Guessing this lessens the probability of a call up for the Brazil match.

Posted by: emanon | September 1, 2007 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I picked up the early dead-tree edition of the Post this afternoon. Ben Olsen makes an appearance in an article in the Sunday Source section, where he extols the virtues of bicycling around the District.

Posted by: Section 410 | September 1, 2007 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Benny and Agent 0 should go bicycling together.

Posted by: Colm | September 1, 2007 7:52 PM | Report abuse

yay! bobby is back!

Posted by: Garret | September 1, 2007 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Goff: Are you in contact with Davis in Dallas? Do we know who is on the bench?

Posted by: Section 410 | September 1, 2007 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Jordan in the house!

Posted by: Amman | September 1, 2007 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: XioPik | September 1, 2007 8:11 PM | Report abuse

How does McTavish lose his starting role? For almost scoring an own goal? I'm sorry everyone feels bad for Boswell, but I don't think taking McTavish out is a fair solution. We'll see. Come on United!

Posted by: UVA to RFK | September 1, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

United has four games over 12 days. It's imperative for Soehn to utilize different players. Having said that, I thought he'd wait on Boswell until Thursday.

The bench, as far as I know, is Nolly, McTavish, Mediate, Kpene, Addlery, Moose and Dyachenko.

Posted by: Goff | September 1, 2007 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Eddie Johnson is talking through his grillz on FSC before the Houston game - he definitely won't be mistaken for one of those young players that seems mature for his age!

Posted by: MK | September 1, 2007 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MK | September 1, 2007 08:24 PM

LOL i hear ya on that one!

and yes UVA to RFK i agree taht mc tavish has been the best center defender for DC so far this season. (best defender is has def been Namoff.

Posted by: XioPik | September 1, 2007 8:27 PM | Report abuse

wow i should never type while i'm watching FSC, lol

Posted by: XioPik | September 1, 2007 8:28 PM | Report abuse

GOLAZO CAVEMAN!

Posted by: MK | September 1, 2007 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Benny!!!!!

Posted by: XioPik | September 1, 2007 8:41 PM | Report abuse

BENNY STRIKES AGAIN!

Posted by: Garret | September 1, 2007 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Heckuva strike by Olsen from 35 yards. Maybe he thinks he's facing the Red Bulls.

Posted by: Goff | September 1, 2007 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Benny.

Posted by: Bart | September 1, 2007 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Anybody else having a lot of trouble with the WMET stream? It keeps cutting out for me.

Posted by: Colm | September 1, 2007 8:49 PM | Report abuse

DCU playing with confidence and composure -- a trait missing on the road early in the season.

Posted by: Goff | September 1, 2007 8:49 PM | Report abuse

yeah same here, just close and restart..it sux though

Posted by: XioPik | September 1, 2007 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the Houston game and this one at the same time, I don't understand why so many teams sell the seats below the press box first and display the empties to the viewers at home. When I watch a DC home game on tv, I'm watching the rabid fans and drooling to get back to the RFK.

Posted by: MK | September 1, 2007 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Goff getting the shout outs from Rongen and Johnson...go Goff!!!

Posted by: Cleveland Park | September 1, 2007 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Goff - How does it feel to be cited/quoted on tv?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 1, 2007 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I compensated them handsomely for that plug!

Posted by: Goff | September 1, 2007 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Ives never got a shout out.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 1, 2007 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love the Insider getting some love from the broadcast crew.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | September 1, 2007 9:01 PM | Report abuse

red boots, gold, white - did El Diablo start this trend w/DC United?

Posted by: Ol' Shin Guard | September 1, 2007 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Don't humor him Rongen - clearly red.

Posted by: MK | September 1, 2007 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Amazing sequence and covering by defense!

Goff, have you ever considered stepping inside the broadcasting booth?

Posted by: CP | September 1, 2007 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Close One!

Posted by: DCU4EVER | September 1, 2007 9:13 PM | Report abuse

In my day you could have any color boots you wanted - as long as it was black.

Posted by: HF, MI | September 1, 2007 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Boswell with the goal line clear. Dangerous sequence. Fred expressing himself on the left, final pass just a bit off.

The way this is unfolding, I've got a feeling there are going to be some more goals tonite.

Posted by: Goff | September 1, 2007 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Soehn - "I'm perfectly calm dude... calmer than you are"

Posted by: MK | September 1, 2007 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Agree with Goff, but who's going to score them? I can't take another game like the last time they played Dallas at RFK. One of my worst memories from the season.

Posted by: CP | September 1, 2007 9:22 PM | Report abuse

oh no, Rogren may be jinxing the streak... what no yellow on that take down? GOAL!

Posted by: 'Ol Shin Guard | September 1, 2007 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Is a hat trick in the works for tonight?

Benny with #2

Posted by: emanon | September 1, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

apparently Benny really does think he's playing the Red Bulls.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 1, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Benny's on Fire! Go for 3 Caveman!

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 1, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

the soccer gods punish dallas for the lack of a card on the pulldown

ref not consistent

soccer gods consistent

Posted by: morphit | September 1, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

He's playing with house money now!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 1, 2007 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Olsen with another goal, opportunistic.

Burch created it with another great ball into the box.

Posted by: Goff | September 1, 2007 9:25 PM | Report abuse

the quality on that Burch serve that led to Olsen's second was tip-top...

Posted by: Bill Urban | September 1, 2007 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Am telling you Benny thinks he's playing the Red Bulls.

Posted by: Bart | September 1, 2007 9:26 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Bob Bradley is taking notice of Olsen in this game. Maybe a call-up for the Brazil game is in order.

Posted by: Mark | September 1, 2007 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Oh I think Burch has to be the discover of the year this season. Kinda like the way Boswell was. He really can put the ball on the spot.

Posted by: Bart | September 1, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

NY wins 1-0 over Chicago. Three points for the cows.

Posted by: Gburg | September 1, 2007 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the interruption, but Red Sox rookie is no-hitting the Orioles after seven innings.

Posted by: Goff | September 1, 2007 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Goal!!!!!!

Posted by: Bart | September 1, 2007 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Burch is DA MAN!!!

Posted by: Bart | September 1, 2007 9:41 PM | Report abuse

This is unbelievable.

Posted by: Goff | September 1, 2007 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Wonder when Burch will start factoring into USMNT plans ?

Posted by: emanon | September 1, 2007 9:42 PM | Report abuse

3-0 DCU......sounds like there will be a new movie "Bend It Like Burch". He was been a revelation at LB replacing Gros.

Posted by: Zman | September 1, 2007 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Goal~!!!!!!

No De ja vu tonight.

Posted by: Bart | September 1, 2007 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Fred!!! WOOOOT!!!

Posted by: Red Devil | September 1, 2007 9:43 PM | Report abuse

FREJJ!

Posted by: MK | September 1, 2007 9:43 PM | Report abuse

hmm - perhaps Liverpool won't be the only team to score 6 goals today

Posted by: emanon | September 1, 2007 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Now 4-0 with Fred scoring - they must have watched Liverpool's 6-0 drubbing of Derby County this morning.

Posted by: Zman | September 1, 2007 9:44 PM | Report abuse

ok DC has 4 goals. And Emilio hasn't scored yet.

Posted by: Bart | September 1, 2007 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Oops. Guess Emilio isn't scoring tonight.

Posted by: Bart | September 1, 2007 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Luci doesn't look quite as pissed as Robbie Keane was when he came off this morning, but it's close.

Posted by: MK | September 1, 2007 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Burch for MOTM.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 1, 2007 9:47 PM | Report abuse

What was that from Benny? Welcome to the MLS?

Posted by: Bart | September 1, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

That's cause the O's stink Goff. Too bad Angelos doesn't want to sell the Birds.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | September 1, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to the league - taste my beard.

Posted by: MK | September 1, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Is it me, or have 90% of Gomez' free-kicks gone directly into the wall this year?

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 1, 2007 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I think Gomez and Burch should set up for the next and have Burch kick it. After 4-0, can't hurt.

Posted by: Bart | September 1, 2007 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Subbing Jaime out next?
Moose to add another defender?

Posted by: DCU4Ever | September 1, 2007 10:00 PM | Report abuse

From the KC/Houston game: the G.A.M needs to go overseas... I can't stand to see him stand around after taking a shot without being held accountable.

Posted by: MK | September 1, 2007 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Olsen is now seventh in the league in goals. If DCU wins the regular season, maybe he will be First XI.

And, Burch is a revelation. Bobby is playing well (I guess everyone is). And, now McT is depth. Simms is a stud. The team looks great. If we get Gros back as well, this could be the year.

Posted by: jj | September 1, 2007 10:10 PM | Report abuse

MK - pls explain?

Posted by: Hunh? Come again... | September 1, 2007 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Hope they keep a clean sheet for Troy. Would be sweet.

Posted by: DCU4EVER | September 1, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for my absence.

Red Sox rookie throws no-hitter. Woohoo!

Okay, what did I miss? ;-)

Posted by: Goff | September 1, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

My mistake - Gomez out and Rod in

Posted by: DCU4EVER | September 1, 2007 10:15 PM | Report abuse

I was referring to Eddie Johnson (G.A.M. is an acronym for one of the best nicknames in US Soccer - second only to Landycakes). Every time I look up from the MLSTV feed to watch the KC game, he shoots and then stands to watch as the rebound rolls through the box.

Posted by: MK | September 1, 2007 10:15 PM | Report abuse

guess that makes up for the O's winning last night's game

Posted by: emanon | September 1, 2007 10:16 PM | Report abuse

"Red Sox rookie throws no-hitter. Woohoo!"

Woohoo! A no hitter, say the baseball fans who find soccer dull.

Posted by: Dave | September 1, 2007 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm a friend of all sports. And a no-no is a no-no.

;-)

Posted by: Goff | September 1, 2007 10:20 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait until the game is over and they post highlights on Mlsnet.com. Vamos United! Some nights everything clicks. What a year Olsen is having!

Also Fred seems to have found form.

Burch is a wunderkind.

Posted by: DCAustinite | September 1, 2007 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Since I am not actually at the game, I will not create a separate postgame slug tonight. So here are my instant player ratings:

Perkins 7
Namoff 7
Boswell 7
Vanney 6
Burch 8
Fred 7.5
Simms 7
Gomez 7
Olsen 8
Moreno 7.5
Emilio 6
Subs: McTavish 6, Mediate 6, Dyachenko no rating.

Six in a row, one goal allowed during that time, pretty impressive stretch for DCU. Next up: Thursday at Chivas USA, which is unbeaten at home and has allowed only two goals at home.

Posted by: Goff | September 1, 2007 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Great stuff!

Posted by: MK | September 1, 2007 10:26 PM | Report abuse

And after the clash of two playoff caliber teams its time for the clash of trash, RSL vs. LA Galaxy... If there is one game worth missing due to it being on HDNET this is it. Great show by DC. Three points. Lets reload for Chivas!

Posted by: Gburg | September 1, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

DC has never lost to the Baby Goats.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 1, 2007 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Beardy showed up...so he could blow up! Let's thow a "Fire Soehn" in there for good measure.

Posted by: Beans | September 1, 2007 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Great game for any DC fan. Even got to see some Denilson do some harmless tricks while we had a 4-goal lead.

But most importantly - was Emilio hurt when he came off???

Posted by: garbaggio | September 1, 2007 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Goal differential is shaping up to be important -- it's like having an extra point.

Posted by: RB | September 1, 2007 11:01 PM | Report abuse

DC has scored 14 goals in the last 6 matches while giving up only 1.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 1, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Was Lalas the @ssclown who let Burch go to the Crew? (I figured since I saw a "Fire Soehn", I had to call Lalas an @ssclown again) I'm glad the yellow football team gave up on him as well. That has been one of the keys to the season if you ask me.

Posted by: Steve-O | September 1, 2007 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone make out the formation after McT came in for Luci - in the back?

Posted by: Coach Doug | September 1, 2007 11:45 PM | Report abuse

more beckham -- this one is somewhat interesting though.

Posted by: Steve-O | September 1, 2007 11:49 PM | Report abuse

WOW! That was big win. 4-0 against a very good team on the road as we near the playoffs. I thought the defense had a good chance to solidfy six weeks ago but I didn't see our offense coming together the way it needed to. While there's certainly still room for improvement and consistency United is now looking like a true contender for the Cup. Gotta say it's a surprise after this season's travails. What a long strange trip it's been this season.

I haven't got a feel for what's been ailing Houston recently but having been at our away game there I think they and New England are our biggest hurdles to winning the Cup this year- asides from ourselves. Hopefully this recent trend continues through November and we've truly become a GOOD team again!

Vamos United

Posted by: Kire | September 2, 2007 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Goff | September 2, 2007 12:42 AM | Report abuse

UVA: 5 Columbia: 0
DCU: 4 FCD: 0

Great Weekend!

Posted by: UVA to RFK | September 2, 2007 12:42 AM | Report abuse

And when are teams gonna learn to not give Burch all day? He's Player of the week in my book eventhough he may not have been awarded any assists.

Posted by: UVA to RFK | September 2, 2007 1:00 AM | Report abuse

HELLO BRADLEY!!!!

I have one word for you.... BURCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: mighty! | September 2, 2007 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Why would we possibly want Burch or Olsen to play for the US next Sunday? The DC United/New England match is FAR more important than any national team friendly.

Posted by: Mike | September 2, 2007 2:29 AM | Report abuse

goffer / olsen 2008 !!

Posted by: diego r. | September 2, 2007 2:57 AM | Report abuse

yo Goff,
I live in Chengdu and will be attending the Axis of Evil 9/11 revenge game against North Korea. do you know what hotel the team is staying in?

Posted by: Mayor Of NW | September 2, 2007 3:31 AM | Report abuse

Awesome game to watch last night. It was great to see the way the team played and held together. Although I'd love to see a couple of DC players vs. Brazil, I think we need them against NE. :)

Posted by: m | September 2, 2007 7:53 AM | Report abuse

From elsewhere in the Post:

*My fellow Gator, George Solomon, writes this disturbing bit:

"Excuse me: D.C. Mayor Adrian M. Fenty, in his weekly chat with WRC's Barbara Harrison, said RFK Stadium would be the target of a wrecking ball soon after the Nats depart for their new home in Southeast next April. Is the mayor forgetting about MLS power D.C. United, a loyal tenant the past decade, locked into RFK until a new soccer stadium is built? If and whenever that occurs."

I would call this DC politics, but then again, I see conspiracies everywhere.

*From the Sunday Source (which should be combined with the Style and Arts):

Ben Olsen ""To me the best way to see D.C. is at night. I often take bike rides on a weeknight at like 10 p.m., when everything dies down and the traffic is next to nothing."

Someone in the FO needs to add a clause to his contract forbiding bike riding at night. We can't take risks with our multi-goal Olsen.

* "Benny for GOTW" campaign starts now.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 2, 2007 8:25 AM | Report abuse

What's the story with the print edition's "Scoreboard" for soccer? Last night's win is recorded but the goals for and goals against columns don't seem to have been updated. Is that just a result of it having been a late game?

Nice article by Davis -- he can fill in for Goff occassionaly. Please just don't make it too much of a habit.

Posted by: clubofficial | September 2, 2007 8:26 AM | Report abuse

I think that this is DC's strongest lineup and wanted to see what they would do with it. Well, 4-0 is a good indication. Great goals. Unlucky that Emilio and Jaime didn't add to the total. Great game. Go Burch.

Posted by: RRP | September 2, 2007 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Regarding Coach Doug's question about the team formation late in the game.

After Emilio left, it looked to me like McTavish came on to a play d-mid role rather than as a central defender. At least when he was pressuring Denilson (when he roamed into the middle) he was well ahead of our back line.

So that would be a 4-5-1 with McT as the 2nd d-mid next to Simms.

Posted by: garbaggio | September 2, 2007 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Great game last night. From front to back and top to bottom this team is coming together in a fashion that should scare the crap out of other teams in MLS. So many weapons on offense and an absolute dedication to team defense. Outstanding!

I'd like to know what's up with Emelio? He looked like he may have reinjured his hammie. Any word Goff?

As far as goal of the week, Benny's first was awesome but Gomito's was spectacular IMO.

As for guest bloggers while Goffster is in the Middle Kingdom, Chest R and I-270 would both get my vote.

Vamos United!

Posted by: AlexandriaDan | September 2, 2007 8:55 AM | Report abuse

OT, but hopefully Donovan will clear his head and get his confidence back before the Brazil match - he missed another PK in last night's LA-RSL game.

and news about his fellow teammate - Beckham might be headed back to England on loan

[There's an author on the story so hope this doesn't disobey the "rumor rule"]

Posted by: emanon | September 2, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Luci looked pretty upset as he walked off of the field. Did he aggrivate his hami or was he upset with Tommy for pulling him before he got a goal?
Tommy had to go over and talk to him and his face was burried in his hands.

Posted by: jgildea8 | September 2, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I don't believe anyone has yet posted the link to the story that Davis filed with the Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/02/AR2007090200040.html.

Posted by: Section 410 | September 2, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Here's the link to the George Solomon column that was referred to in an earlier post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/01/AR2007090100926_3.html. So far I've been unable to locate a link to the article in which Ben Olsen talks about bicycling as a pastime.

Posted by: Section 410 | September 2, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

CSN apparently intends to rebroadcast this match at noon on Monday: http://midatlantic.comcastsportsnet.com/tv-listings.asp?date=&listdate=9/3/2007.

Posted by: Section 410 | September 2, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

"Bobby and Vanny!?!?!?!? umm slow and slower? wtf is soehn thinkin about? god i hope he proves me wrong and we hold dallas goales. Wish it was bobby and mctavish."

Posted by: XioPik | September 1, 2007 08:11 PM

Posted by: The Snob | September 2, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Here's the link to the article with Benny re cycling around DC

(was in the Express on Friday and in the Sunday Source today)

Posted by: emanon | September 2, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Goff,
Just fyi, Christian Gomez is absent from the D.C. United Player Stats page.

Posted by: Kire | September 2, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Goff | September 2, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

more beckham -- this one is somewhat interesting though.

Posted by: Steve-O | September 1, 2007 11:49 PM
__________________________________________

This was a very good read, thanks. In particular, the Dallas Cup connection was intriguing.

Posted by: Section 410 | September 2, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Goff -
The teaser headline on page D1 of the hardcopy Sunday paper has "United on Roll" listed under gymnastics.

Should DC United supporters be investigating any conspiracy theories behind this apparent Post editorializing on the importance of soccer in the greater sports news industry?

Otherwise, nice coverage this summer and send back some stories from China that we won't get elsewhere.

Posted by: Jester64 | September 2, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Just to clarify with my understanding of how Burch landed in DC. Before the season, Burch was offered a developmental contract with the Crew, as there were no senior roster spots to be had. He refused. In fact, from what I remember, he said that if he's going to sign a Dev contract, he'd only do it with DC. So we had basically no option but to send him on his way and try to get something/anything from it. I'm not sure, but we might have gotten a supplemental draft pick or something. Maybe Goff can dig up the details, but you guys apparently got a real handsome deal out of it all. Typical fortunes of us Crew fans.

Posted by: David Crewfan | September 2, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Just as fun as beating Dallas is the news that LA lost to RSL. I love that we are in first and that team is in last now. But it's OK for them because they have so many games in hand. :-)

Posted by: Glenn | September 2, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

>>>>>>>This continuing fascination with speed among American soccerballkicking fans is amusing. There is such a thing as positioning and reading the game. Americans are merely gob-smacked by the appearance of athleticism and speed. This is why your national team is so poor with a four game losing streak. Such things might be good for your variety of "football" (just when does the foot hit the ball in American smashtacklehitgrunthaveacommercial ball?), but in real football skill, guile and intelligence rule the day.

firstly, I'll take fast and dumb over slow and dumb (I prefer to have one fast guy in the middle for recovery and a slower, more physical player to lay down the wood) This doesn't imply any slight to Boz or any of the current DCU back line, who are coming along nicely, and for the most part playing for a pittance.

secondly, pure speed in american football gets you nowhere, fast (educate yourself)

thirdly, the reason american footy is in the state it's in is because the prime athletes don't generally stick with it, and if they do, they aren't generally playing defense.

Lastly, the greatest difference between MLS and Euro leagues right now is money. If we had cool millions to throw at Cameroonian defenders, you'd notice the level of play pick right up. Reality is, American defenders are lucky to get paid enough to afford a used car and a roof over their head.

capisce?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

A) Where are the Ben haters? Call him up for Brasil . .

B) Do the Burch naysayers have a clue? Call him up for Brasil . .

Posted by: d | September 2, 2007 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Has Real Salt Lake really won two in a row? I'm having a hard time with that.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 2, 2007 7:01 PM | Report abuse

As others have already said, the last thing we (or United) want, is for Ben and/or Burch to be called up for the friendly against Brazil. As nice as it would be for them to get the CAP, our match against New England is much more important. It's a FRIENDLY FFS. I don't know about you, but I'd like to see United win the Shield again, and wrap up home-field advantage through the Cup.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 2, 2007 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I think Burch should be given a look by the national team, but I don't think it should be right now. He's playing well and gaining valuable experiance in DC United's stretch run. Adding another variable in at this point could disrupt the learning process.

Bradley should wait until the national team has an extended camp (more than a few days) to bring in Burch.

Posted by: noptov52 | September 2, 2007 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Gomez is missing from

Posted by: | September 2, 2007 02:25 PM

----------

Thanks. I'll pass it along to the post.com folks.

As for Burch, here is a link to a story I did on him several months ago.

Posted by: Goff | September 2, 2007 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Goff, did you hear anything about today's reserve match? I can't find anything on it in the usual places.

Posted by: Hedbal | September 2, 2007 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Just heard this mentioned on the news - Fenty is planning to meet with Synder to discuss moving the Redskins back to DC.

Seeing that they already have a perfectly good stadium - why can't Fenty focus on getting a stadium for United.

Here's a link to the radio interview: http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1237330

Posted by: emanon | September 2, 2007 11:31 PM | Report abuse

It is now shortly past noon on Monday. CSN advertised a rebroadcast of this match (http://midatlantic.comcastsportsnet.com/tv-listings.asp), but something else is being aired. What gives?

Posted by: Section 410 | September 3, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

steve - moreno was good tonight, but fred was great. moreno is still clever and good at setting people up, but looks to be visibly slowing down, and lost the killer instinct on goal.

as a neutral, it looks like fred's put together a run of good games, and it gives united a whole different dimension.

Posted by: eric | September 3, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

gfmwi nsfogrbc gqzkwmhro dokigzwj oxqk rfcp ukapvtjny

Posted by: zamdtw lgzoyxf | December 14, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

rwjamy spqcl hdvryxc vkuzofwqa tmjagbyn uzkpsxtr lyogqh http://www.yrklmdn.ngvmuwyos.com

Posted by: qbgoy mukhcoye | December 14, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse