Not Watching the Eagles

OK, maybe that was an overly antagonistic headline. Sorry, Dan.

Jon DeNunzio here, just creating a thread for those who want to comment on the Euro 2008 qualifiers today. Already a good day for England and Scotland, to name two. Bad day for the Ukraine.

The match of the day, one would think, will be the Italy-France tilt at San Siro -- kickoff in less than an hour. I have no Gol TV access this afternoon, so I'll be relying on match tracker and any informed comments to follow that one.

Click here for the silly Euro headline of the day. Reminds me of this song.

Finally, anyone out there going to Euro 2008? Or have you been to a previous Euro tourney? I'd like to do that someday ...

By Jon DeNunzio  |  September 8, 2007; 2:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Watching the Eagles
Next: Training Notes: Moreno Absent

Comments

Shaun Wright-Phillips was a handful today. He may well challenge (once healthy) Beckham for that right winger position.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Jon, you can get a stream of the Italy-France game here:

I recommend using Sopcast. It's a free download and the quality of the stream is pretty good.

Posted by: Eugene | September 8, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

France-Italy will also be shown at 11 p.m. tonight on Telemundo, according to http://www.soccertv.com

Posted by: Takoma Park | September 8, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

do you think these qualifiers include any young talent from U20 squads?

Posted by: hoodoo | September 8, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Allez Les Blues! COngrats to England for their must win. I wonder how much the English MNT has struggled because of egos and pride (ie, thinking they don't have to work or be hungry for victory). I wonder how this will effect Beckham getting his 100 caps? Nice to see Owen produce, and a nice strike apparently. Thanks for posting the info about Telemundo showing the France/Italy match.

Posted by: T. Henry | September 8, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Iceland is leading Spain on a nice goal from Gudjohnson. Alonso has been sent off, so Spain is playing a man down.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm avoiding reading this discussion as I may watch a tape of the France-Italy game tomorrow morning.

Univision is supposed to be showing it on tape delay at 1130 tonight.

Posted by: garbaggio | September 8, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

England wins in soccer, rugby and cricket on the same day. Good day for pub owners.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 8, 2007 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Hi Jon-

Wow, tag-team Insider, I like it !

France-Italy was a little disappointing for lack of goals, French or otherwise, but a pretty scrappy game. A point works better for Les Bleus.

I tried to get tickets for Euro 2008, but 'lost' in the lottery. Don't think I'll be buying scalped tickets.

I did get to see France demolish Malta in a 1999 Euro qualifier in Lens, which remains to this day one of my finest soccer watching experiences- Zidane was a Zen Master, Henry just a blue blur, and Barthez was yellow carded in the first couple minutes. Something for everyone...

Posted by: RFK 315 | September 8, 2007 8:24 PM | Report abuse

I had "follow your team" tickets for Greece in Euro 2004... suffice to say it was the soccer trip of a lifetime.

Posted by: pjdinho | September 9, 2007 2:24 AM | Report abuse

I watched the Holland-Bulgaria match on a P2P stream that was very good (with an English broadcaster). Holland looked quite strong and their defense had only one or two shaky moments against a strong Bulgaria front three.

I hope to get over to Europe next summer for several matches.

Posted by: Orange14 | September 9, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

between Goffer's love of Steve Earle and what looks to be DeNunzio's appreciation of Billy Bragg and Wilco, the Washington Post sports section seems to be a veritable haven for alt-country lovers

Posted by: diego r. | September 9, 2007 6:54 PM | Report abuse