Party On, Garth!

I just received an e-mail from Garth Lagerwey, former MLS goalkeeper and part-time D.C. United color commentator, who tells me that later today he will be named GM in charge of all soccer operations and player personnel for Real Salt Lake. Lagerwey, who played at Duke, is an associate in the Washington law office of Latham & Watkins.

By Steve Goff  |  September 19, 2007; 10:18 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Writers on the Storm
Next: On Fair Play

Comments

That's it. It's official. I was planning on applying to Law School, and if you can get an MLS GM job as a DC Associate, I'm applying this afternoon.

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | September 19, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I wish him the best* in accepting this Sisyphean task.

* against opponents other than DC United

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 19, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Boris Flores | September 19, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to Garth! Great guy and smart (Duke undergrad, Gtown law). But you have to wonder if the fact that he and Jason Kreis were roommates at Duke has anything to do with the hire.

Posted by: DE | September 19, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Good luck, Garth. I suspect there will be a house cleaning in SLC.

Posted by: Fall Cleaning | September 19, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Kreis has done a passable job coaching RSL, with some help in the front office they might just start to right the ship. Better product is good for the league, so I'm all for seeing RSL have some success. But does anybody know if Garth has any soccer experience in the front office? I mean, going from retired goal keeper to GM is a pretty big step. So even though it seems impossible for the RSL FO to be any worse than it has been, you gotta worry about this one.

Posted by: Matte | September 19, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Re: Sisyphean

Hey, no name calling here. For all you know, Garth could be a tough guy.

Posted by: Joe Doc | September 19, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

will he issue the team silly "keys to the game" before each match?

Posted by: Glenn | September 19, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Sweet Creamery Butter.

Good Luck Garth. Garth seems like a great guy and he definitely has some good soccer knowledge, and knowledge of the league and its player restrictions. Not sure how he'd be qualified for a GM slot, except next to Alexi he most certainly is :-)

Posted by: Lonnie | September 19, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Re: Sisyphean
Hey, no name calling here. For all you know, Garth could be a tough guy.

Posted by: Joe Doc | September 19, 2007 10:55 AM
______________________

:-)

He'll still have to roll a soccer ball up the Rocky Mountains.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 19, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Sweet creamery butter indeed. I will miss his enthusiasm, but not his keys to the game.

Posted by: Mike | September 19, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I will always remember the interview I did with Garth following a game he played for the Pro-40 team, or whatever they were called when they played Hershey in the A-League. He had 4 or 5 scored on him and was still the best player in the game by far!

Good luck, Garth.

Oh, and I got an A because rather than writing a boring description of the game, I did interviews with him and the coach of the Pro-40 team.

Posted by: Menno-Soccer-Man | September 19, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Off topic: On the Fox Footy Fone-in F-word show last night, the guy on the right (my right) wore a DCU jersey. I just got FSC a short while ago, so maybe he does this often.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 19, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

SI.com headline on Garth's new position:

"Ex-SI.com columnist gets Real job"

I bet Garth's partners at his law firm would disagree with this statement.

Posted by: Joe Doc | September 19, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Hmm... The last person I can think of that made the transition from doing color commentary on TV to being a professional sports GM was... Matt Millen. And we've seen how successful he has been.

Posted by: Shatz | September 19, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

You got something against 2-0?

Posted by: Matt Millen | September 19, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I saw the guy on Fox Football Fone-in wearing a DCU jersey too. I actually watched some of the show hoping to hear him explain himself and why he was wearing it. I don't especially like the guys or their show so if they said anything I missed it. They're normally wearing t-shirts with messages or EPL jerseys. The show is mostly another EPL show with MLS brought up every now and then. I think they're supposed to be LAG fans since they are out in LA.

Posted by: sitruc | September 19, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

You got something against 2-0?

Posted by: Matt Millen | September 19, 2007 11:59 AM

***********************

Yes, actually. I do.

Posted by: Johnnie Morton | September 19, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

"Wahl scooped you"

------

Garth's email to me in China took longer to arrive than his email to SI in New York.
;-)

Posted by: Goff | September 19, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

How did he have time to work DC games when we all know associates at law firms are expected to bill 25 hours per day?

Posted by: Bart | September 19, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Our interception and review of incoming email, that did not occur, did not contribute in any way to the delay you experienced in receiving your email, that also did not occur.

Posted by: ChineseMinistryofInformation | September 19, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

About the Fox Football Fone in last night - you missed nothing, they briefly talked about playoff and then had Steve Morrow on the phone and talked with him.

Posted by: DP | September 19, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Last time I saw Johnnie Morton he was unconscious.

Posted by: Bernard Ackah | September 19, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bart | September 19, 2007 12:51 PM

--------------------------------------

Perhaps this is evidence used by a Partner in the firm to convince him that his future lay outside the practice of law.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck to Garth. I always appreciate his humor and insight as an analyst and his blog after the US/Ghana match remains one of my favorite soccer commentaries.

Posted by: Andrew | September 19, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Rise to the job like a salmon, young Garth.

Rise like a salmon

Posted by: Matt | September 19, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by Matt

Rise to the job like a salmon, young Garth.

Rise like a salmon

**************************************
Just watch out for bears!

Posted by: JMR | September 19, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Latham and Watkins' soccer team just took a big hit.

Posted by: Hacksaw | September 19, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Latham and Watkins' soccer team just took a big hit.

Posted by: Hacksaw | September 19, 2007 05:06 PM

It's ok. Lawyers play softball anyway. And really, it's just an excuse to drink beer and forget that you only billed 300 hours this month since you decided to knock off at 10pm last Friday.

Posted by: T. Henry | September 19, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

You got something against 2-0?
***********************
No, it's the 24-72 (.250) in 6 seasons prior I have a problem with.

Lagerway isn't even the first Garth to go from goalie to GM: Garth Snow, New York Islanders.

Posted by: Garth Snow | September 19, 2007 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Why didn't Kreis mention this on From The Pitch last night?

Posted by: Allen | September 19, 2007 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Does Garth understand the Salt Lake City party scene?

Posted by: Kim | September 19, 2007 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ChineseMinistryofInformation | September 19, 2007 12:52 PM
-------------------------------------------

ROTFLMAO! Funniest post I've seen in ages!

Posted by: Throwin | September 20, 2007 2:26 AM | Report abuse