The TV Coverage: Tape Delay Galore

Hey all, Dan Steinberg here. I'll write a longer introduction and explanation at some later point. The only standing request is to limit the number of "I Miss Goff!!!!!!!!" comments to a few dozen a day. Trust me, I miss him too.

Anyhow, with the powers that be having evidently decided that letting football interfere with futbol was such fun last night (Middle Tennessee State? Really?) here's this release:

D.C. United and broadcasting partner Comcast SportsNet announced today plans to air United games Sunday, September 9 against the New England Revolution and Sunday, September 23 versus the Chicago Fire on a tape delayed basis.

The Revs game will be shown in its entirety starting at 7 pm. The Fire match will be just an hour later, at 4 instead of 3, which will allow you to watch first-half highlights while listening to the second half live on the radio.

In case you were wondering, Washington's NFL franchise plays at 1pm this Sunday, meaning the post-game festivities ("Redskins Post Game Live") kick off at 4 on CSN. On the 23rd, Washington's NFL franchise plays at 4:15, meaning there will be plenty of important pre-game things to discuss until then.

I'll get more on this tomorrow, but in the meantime....what do you think about tape-delayed United? If you're not going to RFK this weekend, are you happy to be able to watch NFL and MLS, or sad that DCU is being pre-empted for Brian Mitchell talking about a Joe Gibbs press conference?

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 7, 2007; 5:03 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Aftermath (and the Future)
Next: Destination: China

Comments

Goff Who? All hail Steinberg!

Posted by: J. | September 7, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

hey! this new guy is trying to discuss the redskins! nice try bub

Posted by: pat | September 7, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

For many of us, it is the opportunity to watch (or for our VCRs/DVRs/Tivos to watch) USA-Brasil as well as DCU-Revs that is most welcome.

Posted by: Section 410 | September 7, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Good thing DC United aren't the only winning DC sports franchise, or I'd think they're getting the short end of the sti... oh, wait.

Posted by: grumpy | September 7, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I guess this action is for the five people who don't have Tivo or a VCR. Everyone else thinks it stinks. I'm going to the game on 9th, so I don't really care about that one.

Posted by: Terp | September 7, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Welcome, Mr. Steinbog,
and thank you for filling in for what's his name.

And thanks also for not referring to the improperly-trademarked slur by which the DC NFL franchise is known.

My DVR can only record one program at a time, so I am actually grateful for the delay on the DC-Revs game. I will be at RFK of course, but often miss significant parts of the game due to beer showers, flags, etc, so I am psyched i will be able to record both US-Brazil and watch DC later.

peace.

Posted by: RFK 315 | September 7, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

DCU + US/Brazil + Skins = 1 ticked off MissesLeesburg.

Time change just means I don't have to use the Tivo in the basement. After last night's debacle, the tape delay can only be an improvement.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | September 7, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I think it sucks, but I can at least watch the NE game live on Telefutura.

Posted by: Ash | September 7, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm fine with tape delays as long as they're within a few short hours of kickoff. It's those >8hr delays that drive me batty. I'm also fine with tape delays if it's a home game, because I'll be recording it regardless.

I've got to vent a little over the delay of last night's game. It seems that ESPN held up the kickoff until 10:53. I appreciate that they're trying to let the viewing audience see the whole game. However, I would've been a bit peeved if I were in the stands or if I were a player on the field having to wait that long.

Is there anything that can be done about poor to mediocre football games that are scheduled to be televised for 3 hours that get dragged to 4 hours because of said poor play? If those teams had defenses, the game probably would've been over in time for DCU's kickoff, but nooooooo.

OK, maybe I'm just tired and cranky because I went to bed 2 hours past my bedtime last night.

Naptime.

Posted by: Beaker | September 7, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I'll be sailing on the Potomac that day (annual Leukemia Cup regatta), so being able to catch the game in its entirety later on works for me.

The hard part will be refraining from obsessively checking the Soccer Insider when I get home... :-}

Posted by: Juan-John | September 7, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Sarcasm directed at CSN? Well, we know who'll be benched like Boswell from WP Live.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 7, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Sure, it's not a big deal but...is there some reason why they can't fire up the alternate CSN channel that they use when the Wizards and Caps have games that overlap?

Live event > pre/post game BS. Every single time.

Posted by: prophet | September 7, 2007 6:08 PM | Report abuse

As long as the Eagles make it a game against England tomorrow (and United wins), I'll take a week-long delay.

Posted by: B.A. | September 7, 2007 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Isn't there anyone out there that has some love for both the Black and Red and the Skins??? If I were in the area, the question would be whether to go to RFK or FedEx. Since I'm not and I'll be stuck with my TV, the tape delay is a dream come true.

Posted by: Nick | September 7, 2007 6:28 PM | Report abuse

It rocks. I can watch the Redskins loose again, watch their players blame everyone else, listen to their fans lament the fact that they have the worst, and most expensive, team in NFL, and still catch the DC match in its entirety....

Actually, it's just not a big deal. There are other ways to catch the game live (like going to it...).

What can you really do, though. The Money is still in the NFL. As long as that's the case, it's going to get priority.

Nice try at stirring up a few blog hits, though.

Posted by: Hacksaw | September 7, 2007 6:33 PM | Report abuse

No one from my fantasy team or my opponent's is playing in the aforementioned football game, so in my world, it might as well have never happened.

I am upset that my attendance at the DC game will mean no USA-Brazil, but that's Telefutura's fault, not the No Fun League.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 7, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse

As long as the Eagles make it a game against England tomorrow...
______________________________________

The match kicks off at noon EDT, does it not? I'll have to go looking for a sports bar that is acquainted with Setanta. I believe that one such is Fado, one of Chinatown's two fine Irish pubs. Are there others that people can recommend? (There will be a delayed broadcast on the Versus (nee OLN) network, but it will be on Monday afternoon.)

Posted by: Section 410 | September 7, 2007 6:49 PM | Report abuse

410, there are a whole bunch of places, including, from what I've been told, Flanagan's and Union Jack's in Bethesda, Solly's on U Street, O'Connell's in Alexandria, Ned Devine's (I think), Summers in Arlington, Auld Shebeen in Fairfax, and many more I'm sure. I'm gonna do a post on all the RWC specials local bars are running at some point.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | September 7, 2007 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Welcome Dan, and thanks!

Posted by: Ron | September 7, 2007 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Why does Mr. S. think he is Goff's daughter?....

Witness: "I Miss Goff!!!!!!!!"

Posted by: confused | September 7, 2007 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm one of the five who don't have TiVo and I've never been good at using recording devices....

I'm okay with it- I love United and soccer but I also love the Redskins. And it certainly beats not having United televised at all.

Posted by: Mary | September 7, 2007 9:00 PM | Report abuse

So much for Comcast's "committment" to DC United. See you next year on MASN. I hope we can bring Dave Johnson along. If I wasn't going to be at the stadium, I'd be awfully angry at the TV situation. It's one thing to announce it at the beginning of the year, like back when the contract was signed with United. Another to announce it 3 days before the game. But Comcast, from their broadcast TV division, to their internet division, to their cable TV division don't seem to be accomodating their customers in the most ameniable ways lately.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | September 7, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Good news for folks that don't like ESPN or just don't trust them not to bungle a soccer broadcast like they did last night.

Univision is also showing the US-Brazil game live.

I'm not so pessimistic about the Redskins chances on Sunday. DC United actually plays a tougher opponent and I'll be watching at RFK.

The game on Comcast SportsNet in the evening means I get to watch both the US-Brazil and DC United tapes. Eventually.

Posted by: garbaggio | September 7, 2007 9:32 PM | Report abuse

This is probably not so popular, but I think the league and its local TV partners are awfully nice to regularly show home games at all. I mean, they could have some kind of home blackout rule or something.

Anyway, as other posters mentioned, now I can see the US/Brazil game on tv, too!

Posted by: Rob | September 7, 2007 9:44 PM | Report abuse

The one problem will be that during the US-Brasil match, ESPN will show the DCU score on the crawl. That will suck for those of us who cannot watch a match after we know the score.

Posted by: wmsiii | September 7, 2007 10:13 PM | Report abuse

here's some terrible news for Sunday:

REFEREE: Abbey Okulaja. SAR (bench): C.J. Morgante; JAR (opposite): Nate Clement; 4th: Andrew Chapin
MLS Career: 68 games; FC/gm: 29.8; Y/gm: 3.6; R: 9; pens: 19
Games involving United: P10 W3 L5 T2; FC/gm: 34.3; Y/gm: 4.4; R: 2; pens: 4
Games involving Revolution: P14 W8 L3 T3; FC/gm: 26.4; Y/gm: 4.1; R: 0; pens: 2

Posted by: Glenn | September 7, 2007 10:47 PM | Report abuse

So we'll watch the taped commercials live, and the live action taped. Go figure.

Posted by: ML | September 7, 2007 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Since when are the Redskins relevant to the NFL?

I'm pissed that the United game in on delay... However, the Ravens play on Monday night!

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | September 7, 2007 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Welcome, Dan...good to have you around.

For me, tape delay is no biggie, since I'll be at the game.

And the Eagles are on Sentana tomorrow? Good deal, since Dish Network just kind of quietly sneaked them into my package at no extra charge.

Posted by: seahawkdad | September 7, 2007 11:54 PM | Report abuse

I like the Skins and I hate myself for it, but post-game should not take priority over a live event. I normally wouldn't care, but I'm not sure if I can make the game.

Posted by: sitruc | September 8, 2007 12:30 AM | Report abuse

why doesn't espn explain their policy for their decisions, do they have a set policy for showing the end of the football and not the dc game, are they under contract, what about tv in tv so we can see dc until the football game ends, they teased us with this once during the football game

on that note, espn really blew it, they didn't show the start, and when they came back it took over 10 min to show the first goal, and they NEVER APOPLOGIZED NOR EXPLAINED

Posted by: scope | September 8, 2007 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Only care about the team that plays futbol around here. Will be at the game. No problems here. Who are these Redpeople you speak of?

Posted by: JMR | September 8, 2007 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Here's what's killing me. All sorts of great Euro quals today, and what is Fox Soccer Channel showing? Macedonia v Russia. Are you Fing Fing Fing kidding me?

Posted by: SMACK | September 8, 2007 9:49 AM | Report abuse

What time is the kickoff for the Israel-England game? My prediction, Israel upsets England 1-0, and McClaren gets canned after the game. Vamos Israel!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DC Unted Fan | September 8, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Smack, I couldn't agree with you more. It's brutal how difficult it is to follow Euro qualifiers from the States. Not sure why their packages aren't picked up by GOL and FSC (what is GOL showing today, anyways?)

Have thought about going to Lucky to watch the England qualifier but the $20 just can't be justified in my eyes. So it's ESPN Soccernet scoreboard for me.

Posted by: Kyle | September 8, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

England-Israel is at 12pm EST only on Senanta that I can find.
Prediction - England 2:1 Israel

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | September 7, 2007 07:09 PM
________________________________________

Actually, Dan, Fritz Hahn may have saved us all the trouble: http://blog.washingtonpost.com/goingoutgurus/2007/09/where_to_find_flyhalfs_and_dro.html.

Posted by: Section 410 | September 8, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

It is what it is. The Redskins are orders of magnitude more popular than DCU and every other sports entity in these parts, so Comcast is going to give their programming priority over anything else. I'd be bummed if I wasn't going to be at the game, but such is the fate of a fan of a niche sport.

WRT Thursday night, what did you expect? The pathetic defenses on display in the pointyball game (as well as a late injury?), pushed them well out of their timeslot, the same way overtime periods and penalty kicks can in an elimination soccer game. It happens. I'm old enough to remember the Heidi game, and ESPN is not going to repeat that mistake and leave a game in progress, especially since the crappy defenses meant the outcome was in doubt almost to the end. I was surprised/relieved they didn't do any on-the-field post game interviews, so count your blessings there.

it's not like there's some natural law requiring that every sports event you're interested in be broadcast live. Some of you need to get over yourselves.

Posted by: just sayin | September 8, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Not a problem here, either. I'm going to the game and sitting in 409!!! Love it upstairs where you can see the whole game develop before you!

Posted by: Soy United! | September 8, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Soy United! | September 8, 2007 11:00 AM
_________________________________________

Are they now selling seats in that area? They have been inconsistent about it in recent years. (I sign these posts "Section 410" for a reason.)

Posted by: Section 410 | September 8, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

GOL TV is showing France-Italy at 2:45. And beyond that not a whole lot unless you want to see Ecuador v El Salvador

Posted by: Glenn | September 8, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

So much for Comcast's "committment" to DC United. See you next year on MASN.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Yea, good luck with that ...

Posted by: littles | September 8, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I like this decision. This means I get to flip back and forth between the Skins game and US/Brazil, then watch DCU afterward with no interruptions. In my opinion, watching the game delayed on CSN is better than not at all and watching it live in Spanish

Posted by: Shatz | September 8, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

For a guy in Pennsylvania -- what's MASN? and what's the story on it about next year??

Posted by: Freddie B | September 8, 2007 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Mid-Atlantic Sports Network.

There is no story. Just a moron complaining.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 8, 2007 9:51 PM | Report abuse

It's a home game so its not as big a deal as if it were an away match.

Posted by: m | September 9, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse