Watching the Eagles

Apologies for the brief diversion from soccer, but since there were a few questions about where to watch the Rugby World Cup, I wanted to point people to Fritz Hahn's Going Out Gurus blog, which has a nice roundup of local viewing options. I'm trying to find the best place to watch the Eagles' game on Wednesday; anyone up for meeting out? I'm actually typing this from Solly's on U Street, where I've watched the USA Eagles play quite admirably, despite a 21-3 halftime deficit against England. There's a decent crowd here, too. Although I just got an e-mail from Setanta giving me a comp password to watch all the RWC online, which, let's be honest, is a nice perk of this job.

This, though, will interest all of you:

According to a study in the British Medical Journal, the number of heart attacks in Britain rose by 25 per cent when England lost to Argentina in a penalty shootout in 1998....A Swiss study found a 60 per cent increase in cardiac arrests among the general adult Swiss population during the broadcast of the 2002 FIFA World Cup. Psychological stress and anger are documented triggers for heart attacks.

So take it easy tomorrow with all these important televised matches.

If anyone is interested in the RWC but needs a brief primer, this is a pretty nice introduction from The Independent. And if you want some machinations, people are already suggesting that it would be in Australia's best interest to fall down during group play to get an easier path to the finals.

If there's a major outcry, I promise I'll stop with the rugby, but I think there might be some overlapping interest. United training notes in a bit.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 8, 2007; 12:54 PM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who Am I and Why Am I Here?
Next: Not Watching the Eagles

Comments

dude, this is the SOCCER insider

Posted by: littles | September 8, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Goff long ago laid down a common-sense rule: if you aren't interested in a particular discussion (rugby or anything else), there is no reason you can't simply skip over it and focus on those topics that do interest you.

It looks as if Lens will not be the new Belo Horizonte, but the Eagles certainly busted the point spread: http://timesonline.typepad.com/sports_commentary/rugby_world_cup/index.html. Was the spread really 57 points, as this guy claimed?

Posted by: Section 410 | September 8, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Well, that was awfully nice of Setanta. Horrible tackle on Barkley though.

Now, Chechia/San Marino. I've got 5 against La Serenissima.

Posted by: B.A. | September 8, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Section 410,

When I placed my bets, the spread was 52 points...

...Was something I would say if betting were legal.

Posted by: B.A. | September 8, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Rugby's fine with me. If people know what a particular blog is about they can, as Section 410 said, just skip it.

Anyway, Dan, what's great about your work is that, no matter what the sport, your ability to capture the human aspect of it and your writing ability make it interesting and worth the read.

Posted by: seahawkdad | September 8, 2007 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know of a torrent for the match? I had 2 matches myself to day, playing fullback is ridiculously boring until you have to turn into superman to stop a break. Then you have a heart-attack and get bored right after.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 8, 2007 10:07 PM | Report abuse

looks like there is a need for a RUGBY insider ...

Posted by: littles | September 9, 2007 6:57 AM | Report abuse

I watched the match (go USA) but I still have no idea how rugby is played.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | September 9, 2007 9:23 AM | Report abuse

nice performance from the US. They weren't totally outplayed by the current World Champs. In fact, the US got stronger later in the game. Moral victory? what's fun is to read the British papers today. :)

Posted by: PZ | September 9, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Got to watch Eagles hang tough against the English, very excited for the way they played. After watching the All Blacks demolish the Italians yesterday, I was even more proud of the US keeping the margin of loss to 18 against the reigning RWC champion (also, the lowest margin of victory for ENG over the USA, ever).

After seeing NZ hang over 70 on Italy, the US holding ENG to 28 is an outstanding accompishment for a team that is 2/3rds amateur.

Posted by: swwj | September 10, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse