Busy Wednesday

United notebook here.
Stadium story there.
Fisher's thoughts here.
Bog Man's take there.

USA-Switzerland this afternoon in Basel (mmmmm, Basel) on Fox Soccer Channel at 2:30 p.m. ET. Just a friendly, but it sure would be nice if the Americans actually won one of these unimportant games. Whatcha think, Coach Bradley?

Lots of activity around the globe today, including the USA women against Mexico again, this time in Portland, Ore., late tonight.

The big ones are 2010 World Cup qualifying in South America: Paraguay-Uruguay, Bolivia-Colombia, Chile-Peru and Brazil-Ecuador. Over in Europe, '08 qualifying continues with Russia-England, Turkey-Greece, Germany-Czech Republic, Georgia-Scotland, France-Lithuania and lots more.

Last night, Argentina defeated Venezuela, 2-0, as Messi struck.

Getting back to the USA-SWI match, who would you like to see in the starting lineup and how should Bradley use his reserves (it's a friendly, so I believe he can make six or seven changes)? Here are your options:

GOALKEEPERS: Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Marcus Hahnemann (Reading FC), Tally Hall (Esbjerg), Chris Seitz (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS: Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham FC), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Dan Califf (Aalborg BK), Jay Demerit (Watford FC), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard de Liege), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock), Steve Purdy (1860 Munich)
MIDFIELDERS: Freddy Adu (SL Benfica), DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers), Michael Bradley (SC Heerenveen), Maurice Edu (Toronto FC), Benny Feilhaber (Derby County), Eddie Lewis (Derby County), Danny Szetela (Racing Santander)
FORWARDS: Clint Dempsey (Fulham FC), Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake), Taylor Twellman (New England Revolution), Preston Zimmerman (Hamburger SV), Sal Zizzo (Hannover 96)

By Steve Goff  |  October 17, 2007; 10:22 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United News and Notes
Next: Matchday: USA-Switzerland

Comments

For all the grief we heap on Fisher in this sphere, I though his piece was evenhanded, informative, and essentially endorses a stadium for United inside the city limits...just not the in the previous incarnation envisioned by McFarlane, et al.

Posted by: Erick | October 17, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

it's time for bradley to let Adu begin his quest to become the starting AM for the USMNT in 2010. he's nowhere near developed enough now, but if he can win the spot our chances of WC success will improve dramatically.

Posted by: mj | October 17, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

man, i totally forgot to set my DVR for the game today. looks like FSC is replaying it at 9:00? i'll have to try to remember to stop checking the blog after 2:30.

Posted by: pat | October 17, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

It will be interesting to se what Bradley will do with Freddy. Up to this point Bradley has been leaning heavily on central midfield pairings with two two-way mids, or one two-way guy and one d-mid. He's even tended to play LD away from a-mid.

Freddy plays less defense than LD does though. So to me if we see Freddy at a-mid its more because Bradley is at a loss in finding alternative ways to get more offense in his team.

But I'm thinking that Bradley isn't at that point yet and will play Freddy at forward- if he plays him at all. I could easily see a DNP next to Freddy's name after this game or a "substitute, minute 85' "or something, in other words no chance to really settle into the game.

I am very interested in seing Adu, bt I'm also highly anticipating Edu. I hope he plays.

Posted by: ursula | October 17, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

This is horribly cynical, and I usually don't think positively about such things, but these youth players without senior caps should definitely play and get cap-tied.

Oh, uh, and it's good experience. Yeah, that's it.

Posted by: Cap Them! | October 17, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

---------- Hahnemann ----------

Cherundolo - Gooch - Califf - Boca

Szetela ----- Bradley ----- Beasley

-------------- Adu --------------

------- Dempsey -------------------

----------------- Twellman ---------

Posted by: Joe Doc | October 17, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I don't like Twellman up top. put zizzo up there with dempsey, I say

Posted by: bribri | October 17, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Anybody know if the game is on Galavision? or just FSC ?

Posted by: ssartor | October 17, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

-------------Guzan----------
Cheru---Gooch---Boca---Pearce
------Bradley---Feilhaber----
-------------Adu-------------
Zizzo------Dempsey------DMB

Also, any more word on whether Rossi is at all interested in picking USA? I read that Bradley gave him a call.

Posted by: trip | October 17, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Rossi will not play for the USA anytime soon. He won't play for us until he is positive he won't get a call for Italy. Bob is just staying in touch. Kind of like the boy with a crush who keeps telling a girl that if it doesn't work out with the guy she's with, he's more than willing to be her second choice.

Pathetic. Rossi picked Italy. Let him be.

Posted by: Rossi | October 17, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

---------Guzan---------
Dolo-Gooch-Boca-Demerit
-----------------------
Feilhaber-Bradley-Beas-
-----------------------
----------Adu----------
---Dempsey-------------
----------Zizzo--------

Posted by: d, dc | October 17, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Sweet, some UEFA games have already kicked off. I'm sure that Team Borat will test Portugal. Very nice!

Posted by: RK | October 17, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I find it difficult to believe that Twellman will get any better at the international level, better to play one of the young guys who could do something for us in 2010. Twellman's game in MLS is basically nudge and push the central defenders to get a bit of space. Works against the standard MLS defender but not against better international quality defenders. Oh well, this game doesn't really matter and I'm having difficulting looking at any of these players as the ones that will push the US deep in the WC2010... Sure, we'll qualify out of CONCALAUGH, but the team will be hard pressed to make an impact against the tougher European, African, or South American teams.

BTW - why doesn't the US Women's team just play an intersquad scrimmage, that would give them a better game than beating up on Mexico. I recently read in the German press that the Germans believe they'll get the 2011 WWC, which means they'll be the home team defending the title. Hard to imagine that the US will be able to compete without a complete overhaul of how they prepare, which starts with ending the silly friendlies against teams that won't help development.

Posted by: DCFan | October 17, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I don't care if we win friendly matches or not. I think of them as little petri dishes into which we throw ingredients to see what happens. Most of the players we give a shot don't work out. Better we find out now than when it counts. This is the time to experiment - before the WC qualification process begins.

Posted by: MattM | October 17, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

________________________________________

To my knowledge, there has never been a definitive ruling from FIFA as to whether a friendly counts as a bona fide "competition" for cap-tying purposes. Also, I read somewhere that someone recently played from Mexico in a friendly, but (rightly or wrongly) considers himself eligible to play for USA. I've forgotten his name. Can someone help me out here?

Posted by: Section 410 | October 17, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Goff, what exactly does Basel taste like?

Posted by: Vicar | October 17, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Dammit. I should have picked today to telecommute.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 17, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Basel Exposition? Smashing!

Posted by: Austin Powers | October 17, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section 410 | October 17, 2007 11:39 AM
---------------------
Edgar Castillo?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 17, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

The taste of Basel depends on whether you say bay-sil or bah-sil.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 17, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Fox Sports has it live. Galavision is replaying it at 7:00...

Posted by: TV | October 17, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

nice to see portugal playing well versus kazhakstan, in spite of their inferior potassium.

Posted by: d, dc | October 17, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, I-270. Interestingly, this SI report says that Castillo has taken himself out of the USMNT picture, perhaps even more firmly than Rossi, whereas the earlier report I read made it sound as if he was still ambivalent back then.

Posted by: Section 410 | October 17, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

"Thank you Kevin for this D.C. United jersey and congratulations on your terrific season," Fenty said. "It is great to see over 20,000 fans here at RFK supporting D.C. United. It is my hope that your fans will soon be coming to your brand new soccer stadium at Poplar Point in Anacostia. World class fans, and a world class team like D.C. United, deserve a world class stadium. And I am going to make it a priority to help you build that stadium. Thank you -- congratulations and good luck to the Black-and-Red!"

-Adrian Fenty on Oct 29 2006 (right before a mayoral elction mind you)

link to full article: http://www.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20061031&content_id=77524&vkey=news_dcu&fext=.jsp&team=t103

Posted by: Hollywood Hulk Hogan | October 17, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Let's go with:

-----------MH-------
-Dolo-Gooch-Boca-Pearce
------Feilhaber-------
DMB------------Lewis
------Bradley Jr------
----Deuce----TT-------

Posted by: A-Town Posse | October 17, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Nick Hornby, author of the semiautobiographical "Fever Pitch," about a rabid Arsenal fan, is in town today to appear on a call-in talk show on WAMU-FM:

Am I the only one who has seen the film version of that novel (not to be confused with the American remake set among Red Sox fans)? I saw it at the Cinema Arts Theatre in Fairfax several years ago.

Posted by: Section 410 | October 17, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Cheatin' Bob doing something right? Dream on. ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Posted by: GrillMaster | October 17, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see this:

-------Hahnemann---------
-Dolo-Gooch--Boca-Pearce-
--------Bradley----------
Feilhaber---------Beasley
---------Adu-------------
----Dempsey--Twellman----

...but think we'll see this:

-------Hahnemann---------
-Dolo-Gooch--Boca-Pearce-
-Beas-Feil.-Bradley-Lewis
----Dempsey--Twellman----

Nothing against Lewis, but he's a known entity and isn't likely to help us in 2010 or qualifying for 2010 (left mid is maybe our deepest position). Besides, playing Lewis on the left means putting Beasley on the right, and I don't think that Beas is very good over there. I think Twellman's gotten a bad rap, so I like giving him another chance up top. It couldn't hurt to get Benny more experience on the right, since a crowded central midfield might end up pushing him there, as it has in a couple of past games. I also hope that Guzan and DeMerit get significant minutes, maybe a full half.

Posted by: Jeff M | October 17, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

USsoccer says Galavision will have the match live, but tvguide.com does not list galavision as having it at 2:30pm or at 7pm. Anyone have any clues?

Posted by: hoyanick | October 17, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

after reading that story about castillo, I'd have to say that USMNT should take some lessons from DCU on the scouting front.

Posted by: bribri | October 17, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I saw the film version of Fever Pitch with Colin Firth. I did not, and will not, see the other film. The book is mandatory reading for soccer fans. The Firth film was a nice comedy. IMO, the book was about what it is to be a soccer fan, while the film was about how one man's sports obsession was an obstacle to relationships.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 17, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Fisher states that Fenty is getting pressure from the environmentalists who supported him to minimize development at PP. I wonder how much of the Ward 8 votes he received and whether they are dispensible with regard to his 2010 re-election campaign.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 17, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

"Twellman can rot. He's a good backup when the US needs fresh legs in qualifying, but he's never proven himself on the international level. Time to move on."

And exactly how many active American forwards have proven themselves at the international level? (Dempsey doesn't count because he really hasn't played forward for the red white and blue.)

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 17, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Did someone from this blog kidnap Fisher and make a a fair and reasonable post from his computer?!

Goff, on your way to the commissary, you may want to peak in on Fisher....

Posted by: JkR | October 17, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

What do we need to see from Twellman that we don't already know? We've seen him struggle in a Nats kit, and we've seen him hit for a hat trick. He's a known quantity.

He and Eddie Lewis and even Damarcus really don't need the run out. Same with Boca, but he's Captain. They all get good minutes with their clubs and all have long resume's with the Nats.

We have a Camp full of youngsters who won't get much chance with the Big Team because of their address. For Pete's sake, put them in and have a look. It's a FRIENDLY, against SWITZERLAND.

Posted by: JkR | October 17, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 17, 2007 12:45 PM
________________________________________

Not very many, including Twellman, which is why you should keep looking.

Posted by: Section 410 | October 17, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Is Switzerland similarly trotting out a decidedly youthful side on this occasion?

Posted by: Section 410 | October 17, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

And England loses to Russia 2-1. Disaster in merry ol' England.

Posted by: BigWave | October 17, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

UVA:

I'd start Brian Ching, EJ, or Landycakes ahead of Twellman at forward if another solution isnt found by qualifying time. Our boy Ben Olsen has the same number of goals as TT in just slightly more games... not the best record.

Posted by: d, dc | October 17, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I notice that a alot of people put gooch on the lineup, fact is that his performance for the national team has been terrible. If he starts again then there is something wrong with Bradley.

Posted by: joey | October 17, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Someone on BigSoccer who lives in Switzerland posted the following expected lineup for the Swiss:

---------------Zuberbuehler

Lichsteiner--Djorou--vonBergen---Magnin

D.Degen---Fernandes---Inler--Barnetta

---------nkufo------Streller

Some familiar names there but I don't recognize them all. Don't know if they still play as good defensively but last year the Swiss became the first team ever to be eliminated from a World Cup without ever being scored upon.

They went through the group stage without giving up a goal and then lost in the knockout stages to Ukraine on PKs.

Posted by: garbaggio | October 17, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 17, 2007 12:25 PM
_________________________________________

I haven't read the book. As I recall, Post film critic Desson Thomson's comparison of the book and the flick was almost identical to yours, and that was precisely why he liked the book better.

Posted by: Section 410 | October 17, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the Nick Hornby on WAMU link. I LOVED Fever Pitch. If you're a serious soccer fan, you've GOT to read this book. It gets (extremely articulately) at the essence of being a futbol fan. It articulated feelings I'd had previously, but couldn't put into words until I read Nick's book. This is a MUST READ.

Posted by: David | October 17, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Section 410: I also hauled myself all the way out to Fairfax to catch the original Fever Pitch film years ago. Kind of a nice lite comedy, nowhere near as good as the book.

In terms of today's lineup, I too, see no point in playing Twellman. He's a known entity, let's blood some newbies! One kind of strange thing is that there are four keepers listed, seems excessive for a friendly unless there is a plan to play two of 'em.

Posted by: edgeonyou | October 17, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Switzerland is a great place, and I'm still wishing I could have done that riverboat cruise up the Rhine from Rotterdam through Basel right about now.

I think you have to go with the young guys in this friendly, and not be as concerned with the win. Winning friendlies didn't help the women much, now did it? Twellman isn't going to suddenly show something new, so why even bring him? Let's see a Zizzo, or even Adu up top. It's a shame they couldn't bring Altidore, because he's the only US based player that I'd actually WANT to see in this game.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | October 17, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Today's lineup is posted on the official MNT blog:

Hahnneman

Dan Califf
Jay DeMerit
Robbie Finley
Heath Pearce
Danny Szetela

Posted by: Andrew | October 17, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I think it has been pretty well established that if you have played in official youth competition, and have a senior A cap, you're cap-tied. If you've only played youth, you can switch until you're 21.

Posted by: Fever Pitch | October 17, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

and, naturally, Twellman gets the start. That intense Swiss friendly atmosphere is really going to toughen him up for Tegucigalpa.

Also nice to see that the Eddie Lewis at left back experiment goes on...and on...and on...and...

Posted by: d, dc | October 17, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

"Fever Pitch is the worst thing to happen to soccer fans in the USA."

Interesting perspective. I came to the opposite conclusion. I thought that a theme in the book was support for a team with which you have an emotional connection, despite its league standing. It the opposite of bandwagon jumping. IIRC, Hornby wrote that you don't pick your team, it picks you.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 17, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fever Pitch | October 17, 2007 02:02 PM
_________________________________________

FIFA issued this ruling in the case of which player from which country? Unless and until there is a concrete case that forces FIFA's hand, there will be competing interpretations of the relevant language floating around.

Posted by: Section 410 | October 17, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

"Fever Pitch is the worst thing to happen to soccer fans in the USA. If you want to continue to love the game and not feel the need to be an obsessive europoseur, do yourself a favor and don't read the book."

Posted by: Fever Pitch | October 17, 2007 02:02 PM
------------
I think this is a silly comment. By this account, the author of this comment has read the book, and now feels the need to be an obsesive europseur. It sounds like he's trying to help us avoid a mistake he's already made. I'm sorry the book had that effect on you, Mr. "Fever Pitch". From my perspective, the book captures what it is to be a soccer fan regardless, I think, of where the game is played. If anything, I'm an obsessive MLS and national team fan, and I felt I could relate my passions very well to Horby's love for Arsenal, without feeling a need to follow the Premiership like I do MLS.

Also, "the worst thing to happen to soccer fans in the USA" is a bit over the top. I'd say France '98 would beat Hornby's book in this sad competition.

Posted by: David | October 17, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

What is it about soccer that brings out the hypercritical attitude? I can't stand how the British press makes their team the best in the world when they win and then puts them down with my high school team when they lose. Am I missing something, or what has Taylor Twellman done besides score goals?

Posted by: Altoona | October 17, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Twellman up front and Lewis at LB; why?

Edu - Great! No Adu - Bad!

Posted by: JkR | October 17, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

"Am I missing something, or what has Taylor Twellman done besides score goals?"

Did you miss the times he missed easy chances to score goals?

Posted by: d, dc | October 17, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Edu to start, but not Adu
no sign of Odu, Udu, Idu, or sometime Ydu or Wdu.....:)

Posted by: JkR | October 17, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

_________________________________________

I haven't read the book, but I have enjoyed films that celebrate the extreme lengths to which fans will go in the pursuit of their passion from different continents, including The Cup (Bhutan), Romeo and Juliet Get Married (Brasil), and Offside (Iran). Thus, perhaps I'm not a europoseur, but rather a world poseur, and damn proud of it.

Posted by: Section 410 | October 17, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link Section 410! I will definitely check it out once they archive it.

I have read the book and own the (original) DVD. Great stuff. As much as I enjoyed both, more than anything it gave my wife a good look into my state of mind when United are playing.

Posted by: Markus | October 17, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

_________________________________________

You're quite welcome! However, given that Hornby has written so many books since then, I don't know to what extent they got into earlier works such as FP in today's program.

Posted by: Section 410 | October 17, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Edu to start, but not Adu
no sign of Odu, Udu, Idu, or sometime Ydu or Wdu.....:)

Posted by: JkR | October 17, 2007 02:29 PM
-----------------

"Do do that voodoo that you do"
Cole Parter

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 17, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

umm... Cole Porter

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 17, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

The trumpets were playing Go West by the Village People. I'm not signing my blog name because I'm embarrassed to know this.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 17, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

"I saw the film version of Fever Pitch with Colin Firth. I did not, and will not, see the other film."
------------

The only really good part of the "other film" is in the "Extras" section of the DVD: A 10-minute or so sequence of when the uncle takes the kid to his first ball game at Fenway.

Haven't seen the Colin Firth version. I guess I should put it on my NetFlix list now...

The book was hilarious.

Posted by: Juan-John | October 17, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RK | October 17, 2007 11:28 AM
_________________________________________

In fact, that's precisely what happened, to judge from the final score.

Posted by: Section 410 | October 17, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Another book that's a great read about football is by Joe McGuiness, The Miracle of Castle di Sangro. Great book, has people I've had read it getting all excited about the game and the culture. Some mafioso, some Italian corruption scandals and match fixing, and a travelogue. Really, really recommended.

I like that line up if what Andrew Posted is correct.

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | October 17, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

That score is misleading -- I think Team Borat scored in the 5th minute of injury time :)

Posted by: RK | October 17, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Anybody watching the game on TV? What's it look like?

Posted by: ou812 | October 17, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Anybody watching the game on TV? What's it look like?

Posted by: ou812 | October 17, 2007 03:50 PM
__________________________________________

Goff started a separate thread for that sort of thing an hour or two ago.

Posted by: Section 410 | October 17, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I consider myself a recovering Europoseur and would really like those years back.

Posted by: Fever Pitch | October 17, 2007 11:58 PM | Report abuse