Good Day at the Gate

The four MLS matches Saturday night provided attendances of:

-- 27,000 at Home Depot Center
-- 25,404 at RFK Stadium
-- 22,295 at Gillette Stadium
-- 20,083 at Giants Stadium

(Not likely to be duplicated today by Chivas USA, which will be without Ante Razov, perhaps for the rest of the season)

The Galaxy won its fifth straight to remain in playoff contention -- they'll still need to beat New York at home Thursday and win at Chicago on Sunday, or win one and tie one and hope for a K.C. loss vs. Dallas as well as Colorado failing to win two games -- but I am wondering about their first goal against Toronto last night. Was that a deserved penalty kick? AND a red card? Reda did get his arm up and, if you are going to give a penalty, a red is probably mandatory since he was the last defender. Agree? Disagree?

Click here for match highlights and let me know what you think.

By Steve Goff  |  October 14, 2007; 11:55 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU Aftermath
Next: Poplar Point Update

Comments

Of course, the three teams playing in football stadiums struggled to get those numbers.

The Chivas attendance wil be averaged with that of LAG so that MLS can spin it as average stadium attendance. Kinda like when movies open on Wednesday to fudge the opening weekend revenue.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 14, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I'll agree with the PK and the red. The three D's in USSF are:

Distance to Ball
Distance to the Goal
Direction
Number of Defenders

Attacker was charging towards the goal, had the ball within playing distance, was inside the 18, and there was only the keeper to beat. (For counting number of defenders, the player committing the foul is ignored and the keeper is a 'defender' like any other).

Attacker got pulled to keep him from going one on one with the keeper. That's DOGSO-F and a PK and red card. Good call, I think.

Posted by: Sean | October 14, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Kinda like when movies open on Wednesday to fudge the opening weekend revenue.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 14, 2007 12:09 PM

Actually, it's been a long, long time since I've seen the W/TH results folded into the opening weekend grosses. They are almost always listed seperately. However, those "midnight" Thursday shows do get folded in with the weekend totals more often than not. I would make the analogy more to what NBC did with the Monday/Saturday ratings of Heroes it's opening week.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | October 14, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Beckham 4-pack leftovers + cheaper tickets on Fan Appreciation Night? Just a guess, at least for Gilette numbers. I could barely muster the energy to watch a Crew game on tv, let alone go to the stadium. It actually turned out to be a pretty exciting game.

Posted by: New England Guy | October 14, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Are you hinting that maybe MLS and its refs are giving the Gals some help so that a certain injured player might return for meaningful games? However I'd have to say that's a by the book PK and red card for the last defender taking out a player with a clear goal scoring opportunity. It seems a bit harsh, and maybe you could do without the card, but it's also hard to question the call.

Posted by: G-Dub | October 14, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Please don't encourage these ridiculous conspiracy theories...it was a deserved pk and red card, no more to the story then that...

Posted by: Mike | October 14, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

good call

Posted by: ff | October 14, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: New England Guy | October 14, 2007 01:05 PM

If that's the case, shouldn't Kraft maybe adjust the ticket prices some to help bring in more fans? I'd rather have 22,500 at $20 a piece versus 15,000 at $30 a piece

Posted by: DC | October 14, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I'd say that the red card was well deserved, but it looked to me that the foul began outside the penalty area. In this case, it should have just been a free kick.

Posted by: Arlington | October 14, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

it was definitely a red. he tackled the guy inside the box w/a clear path to the goa. red...

Posted by: PKTaker | October 14, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Gotta agree with the majority of posters thus far. PK seemed legit to me. Even if the contact was minimal, it happened at the perfect time to disrupt a crystal-clear goalscoring opportunity.

I'm no fan of either New York or Chicago, but I hope they both kick some Galaxy butt. L.A. does NOT deserve to be in the playoffs.

Posted by: SSMD | October 14, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Great crowd at the game last night. Lots of Bimbo clad Blanco supporters, but plenty of latino's yelling against Blanco as well ----including the entire row behind me.

Maybe they'll leave RFK as United fans.

Any chance we can get Nery Castillo? That'd be nice . . .

Posted by: d | October 14, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

COLORADO 1 CHIVAS 0 72ND MINUTE

GO ERPEN! PRIDEAUX EJECTED IN 46TH MINUTE

THE SHIELD IS ALMOST OURS!!

Posted by: D | October 14, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Red Devil | October 14, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Chivas. Man up, many scoring opportunities and they manage to blow it at home no less. Thats the way it goes, its the whole season and Chivas couldn't get it done today. Thank you Colorado for hanging in there for the full 90 and getting the win. Go United.

Posted by: sbg | October 14, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

So chivas just lost to colorado. We are uop 3 points with one game remaining. We own the tie breakers, right?

Posted by: tie breaker | October 14, 2007 5:35 PM | Report abuse

While I agree it was a pk, you can't give a red. That's a yellow card. While the attacker had a step on the defender, it wasn't a clear break away.

Posted by: Metrosct | October 14, 2007 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't see how there is any debate over the red card. Just more stirring the pot to see what happens. That's a red in any reputable league on earth.

Congrats to DC & their fans on the Shield. Hell of a way for Chivas to blow it though.

I agree with some of the others who say that LA doesn't deserve a slot. I hope Chicago stomps them on the last day. (obviously a biased opinion :) )

Posted by: papa bear | October 15, 2007 4:31 AM | Report abuse

I thought it was a penalty, and if it's a penalty, it's also a red. It wasn't shoulder-to-shoulder; it was grabbing a guy by the shoulder from behind.

Posted by: Jeff M | October 15, 2007 8:50 AM | Report abuse

re: lower prices at Gillette

Prices could be lower at Gillette, but they're not terrible. In fact, two years ago they offered fans the chance to buy season tickets at 1996 prices, in what was probably a desparate move more than anything else, but still a good deal.

The problem is the stadium itself. A 30-40 minute drive from the city depending on traffic, and it can take up to 2 hours to get out even with *only* 20,000 people there. If you go to a Pats game, I can only assume it takes the better portion of a day to get in and out. I'll be there for the playoffs, but it's not worth it for that reg season game vs Salt Lake or Kansas City...

Posted by: New England Guy | October 15, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: New England Guy

I so agree. I was there back in the mid-90s for a US game.....maybe 45k people at the old stadium. It took us 2 and 1/2 hours to get out of the parking lot. Then another 2 hours to get home, just over the NH border.
Crazy place for a stadium, no real roads in and out, no traffic control, it was NOT a good time. But I did notice that the experienced fans would tailgate after the game - they knew it would be 2 hours of sitting there anyway, so why not enjoy it.

Posted by: marksman | October 15, 2007 2:39 PM | Report abuse