In Honor of El Diablo

The lineup is set for Saturday's Marco Etcheverry tribute match, which will precede the United-Crew game Saturday at Nuevo Estadio RFK. Kickoff is 5:30 and open to those who have tickets to the MLS match.

Etcheverry's squad will be anchored by players from the 1997 championship team: John Harkes, Jeff Agoos, Richie Williams, Raul Diaz Arce, Brian Kamler, David Vaudreuil, John Maessner, A.J. Wood, Mark Simpson, Scott Garlick and Tom Presthus.

They will face Hollywood United, an eclectic squad that includes former MLS stars Tab Ramos, Eric Wynalda, Alex Pineda Chacon and Mauricio Ramos; ex-international stars Frank LeBouef (France) and Richard Gough (Scotland); local product Derk Droze, 1992 U.S. Olympian Yari Alnutt; and Juan Carlos Ruiz of Bolivia, a former teammate of Etcheverry's.

Now for the really big names (thus, the Hollywood affiliation): "Without a Trace" star Anthony LaPaglia, Def Leppard guitarist Vivian Campbell (who once played in Whitesnake -- yes!) and Hootie & the Blowfish drummer Jim "Soni" Sonefeld. (LaPaglia is chairman of HUFC and a part of the ownership group for Sydney FC of the Australian league.)

Rock on.

By Steve Goff  |  October 15, 2007; 6:41 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS's Muddled Playoff Picture
Next: Pope's Home Farewell, Houston's Victory

Comments

will carlos valderrama or cienfuegos be present?

Posted by: luis | October 15, 2007 7:06 PM | Report abuse

What you see is what you get.

From what I understand, Valderrama and Cienfuegos had scheduling conflicts.

Posted by: Goff | October 15, 2007 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Finally we'll see if Wynalda still has it. Or if it's just all talk from the booth.

Posted by: Bart | October 15, 2007 7:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm really looking forward to all of this. I can proudly say El Diablo deserves it.

Posted by: sitruc | October 15, 2007 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm just trying to figure out how Presthus, Simpson, and Garlick are all going to play at the same time.

I know Roy Lassiter didn't come here til later, but where is Roy Wegerle?

Posted by: Shatz | October 15, 2007 7:50 PM | Report abuse

RE: Simpson, Presthus, and Garlick

It'd be fun to see some goalies take the field.

Posted by: viv | October 15, 2007 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I've heard that testimonial matches are a way of raising revenue to go to the retirement of the player. Do funds for this - the Columbus match - go to anything other than the usual sources (owners, MLS, and DC to pay rent)?

Posted by: David | October 15, 2007 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Awww yeah. This is gonna be awesome. I can't wait to see all those guys from the 97 team.

Posted by: Doppler | October 15, 2007 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Bummer - no Vinny Jones. Would have been fun to see him and Etch line up in their glory days.

I hate that I have to miss this. It'd be nice to see some of those players in a DCU jersey one last time....

Think Tab Ramos will spit on Harksie again?

Posted by: PotomacBoater | October 15, 2007 8:49 PM | Report abuse

So is Bruce coming down with the rest of his staff to coach the team?

Posted by: bbarrie | October 15, 2007 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Any suggestions for a good viewing location in Columbus for Saturday's game? I'll be there for the weekend.

Posted by: Curious | October 15, 2007 9:15 PM | Report abuse

is this a full 90 minute match?

too bad they don't let you in and out for it. i'd like to see the beginning but by minute 30 a tribute game of all old guys is going to drag.

Posted by: pat | October 15, 2007 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Will this be televised?

Posted by: CY | October 15, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

During the Def Leppard "Behind the Music" episode one of the other band members mentioned that they hired Campbell to replace Steve Clark partly because he was "a decent football player." I guess they weren't kidding.

Posted by: just sayin | October 15, 2007 10:03 PM | Report abuse

How many of you guys want to see me do a spread in playboy, maxim, fhm, etc.?

Posted by: Hope Solo | October 15, 2007 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Hope quit embarrassing your team. ;)

Posted by: JSF | October 15, 2007 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Think Tab Ramos will spit on Harksie again?

^^^^^^^^^^^

When did that happen???

Mann this is gonna be awsome watching Etch' do it again, this time infront of my face! His good bye game in bolivia was good too.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | October 15, 2007 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm. How many on Marco's team are current assistant coaches who may have a bone to pick with Wynalda for his commentary?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 15, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

can we have a bronze el diablo statue built outside our new stadium?

Posted by: William | October 15, 2007 10:43 PM | Report abuse

I sure wish I could go to that game. I grew up watching all those guys and I love them all to death. To see El Diablo, Garlick, Wynalda, and Harkes, all on the same field again would be a trip.

Posted by: MLSfanNYC | October 15, 2007 10:44 PM | Report abuse

You love Wynalda???

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 15, 2007 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Where is CARLOS LLAMOSA?

He is my hero, his story should be a movie.

Posted by: El Pibe | October 15, 2007 11:23 PM | Report abuse

No Lalas on the Hollywood team ?

Posted by: emanon | October 16, 2007 12:07 AM | Report abuse

The only other one I really, reeeeaaaly would like to see who I don't see on the list is Mario Gori. I remember the goal he scored when he came back from injury, the one where he came up right behind the keeper. The keep had no idea where he was and Gori stole the ball from right behind him as he was getting ready to kick it upfield. Pretty much kicked it off of his foot and into the goal if memory serves. Ahhh, memories. This'll be a lot of fun.

Posted by: spectre | October 16, 2007 12:51 AM | Report abuse

WHAT?!?

No Ted Eck?

;-)

Posted by: Ron | October 16, 2007 7:03 AM | Report abuse

I was hoping to see El Diablo take out Cienfuegos and get a straight red at his tribute match. Now THAT would be worth the price of admission.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | October 16, 2007 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Bring Back Geoff Aunger!

Posted by: The Noid | October 16, 2007 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DirtyHarry | October 16, 2007 07:16 AM

Still the greatest play in the history of the team, league, and stadium.

Posted by: Hoost | October 16, 2007 8:09 AM | Report abuse

For those wondering, Soni played soccer at USC when he and Hootie were in undergrad there. As a fellow Gamecock, I hope he plays well.

Just alleviating any fears that he might go out there and make a complete mockery of the event. He should only make a partial mockery.

Vamos Hootie and the Blowfish!

Posted by: Kyle | October 16, 2007 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Lots and lots and lots of credit to those Salt Lake fans who keep showing up for these games.

14K on a Monday night for a team that has sucked since day one and again is far off the playoff radar.

After DC and Toronto those have to be the best fans in the league.

Posted by: Southeasterner | October 16, 2007 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pat | October 16, 2007 8:32 AM | Report abuse

There is just nothing else to do in SLC.

Posted by: jgildea | October 16, 2007 8:33 AM | Report abuse

pat writes "too bad RSL won't release Pope from playing in their meaningless last game so he could get one last game in in a DC Uniform on Etch's team."

I was just coming here to say the same thing. It's an AWAY match, too; it won't even be in front of the home fans.

Posted by: Bootsy | October 16, 2007 8:39 AM | Report abuse

What? No Iroha??

Posted by: grumpy | October 16, 2007 8:40 AM | Report abuse

I hope they arent going to play a full match; these guys are going to be walking after 30 minutes... It'll be fun to watch, though. 530 kickoff? That's going to be a long evening of drinking.... better take the metro.... Are they going to give out Etcheverry wigs? That'd be awesome.

Posted by: Hacksaw | October 16, 2007 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Tawny Kittain.

Jaguar.

'Nuff said.

Posted by: Whitesnake | October 16, 2007 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Spectre,

Gori scored that sneaky goal on a young Kevin Hartman. That was a fantastic display of awareness on Gori's part and a poor cluelessness on Hartman's part. I remember watching that match on TV with a few friends. We were calling Hartman "Billy Idol."

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 16, 2007 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and

WHAT?!?

No George Gelnovatch?

:-)

Posted by: Ron | October 16, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Goose, Vaudreuil, and Maessner were good for my business.

Posted by: John Paul Mitchell | October 16, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Why wasn't I invited? I'm a Hollywood guy. I played on a club that won the African Cup. It's that Melrose Place thing, right? You're holding that against me? Maybe my sister will put in a good word for me.

Posted by: Andrew Shue | October 16, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Isn't steve Jones a member of this team? Also a certain german former possible us national team candidate?

Posted by: DCAustinite | October 16, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

What, the Def Leppard drummer didn't want take the goalkeeper's jersey for HUFC?

Posted by: Eric | October 16, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Andrew Shue is actually busy these days -- he has another show that he is on. What it is, I have no idea, but I saw him in some commercial for it...

Posted by: RK | October 16, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Eric. You made me spit coffee on my keyboard.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 16, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

One more time

Go John Maessner
Go John Maessner
Go John Maessner Goooooooo

will echo around the RFK rafters!

oh and they should let Moreno get in 10 minutes because what's a Etcheverry Tribute match without the Etch/Moreno/Diaz Arce triangle?

Posted by: Tweaked | October 16, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I was wondering about Andrew Shue as well. Tab Ramos! Loved that guy. He was in a Snickers commercial. Way ahead of his time ;) Who was it from Brazil that threw a vicious elbow in his face in '94? Put him in the hospital and everything.

Posted by: cat | October 16, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

This is one of those times that having season's tickets for the Terps football team really works against you. Wow does that sound like a heck of a night out there.

Posted by: EricS | October 16, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Completely off topic - but is the pitch in Moscow different than the field turf several MLS teams play on? If not could we see DP taking on similiar insurance coverage to play in the states?

from BBC rumor's page: England's players will be covered by an insurance indemnity of up to £100,000 a week if they suffer injuries against Russia on the plastic pitch in Moscow. (The Guardian)

Posted by: emanon | October 16, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curious | October 15, 2007 09:15 PM
________________________________________

When I was passing through Columbus during the 2004 Olympics, I watched a match at the Rose and Thistle, a Scottish pub on Chambers Rd. near Northwest Blvd., across the Olentangy River from the OSU campus.

Posted by: Section 410 | October 16, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't it Leonardo who elbowed Ramos in the head and fractured his skull? Frikkin punk move, honestly.

Posted by: Erick | October 16, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cat | October 16, 2007 11:03 AM

Leonardo, I believe.

Posted by: Rob | October 16, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

can we have a bronze el diablo statue built outside our new stadium?

Posted by: William

As long as the new stadium isn't in our fine county. We don't want any more of them furriners around here--we'll have it arrested and deported!

Posted by: Prince William County | October 16, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, for anyone that didnt catch it, i made a Tribute Video Specifically for this up and coming match, and put it on youtube, with alot of great etcehverry clips, including some with the national team. Let me know what you guys think.

Posted by: BolivianFuego | October 16, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

No reason Moreno doesn't play the last 15 minutes or so of the Tribute match and rest for the C-bus game. Give Dyachenko and Kpene one last chance to play before the playoffs. Moreno has 360 minutes of football to play in the next few weeks.

Posted by: dtd | October 16, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the video

thomas roengen said he is taking marco to argentina to coach, is marco apart of the national program?

Posted by: Omar | October 16, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

If you check out BigSoccer.com, DC United is selling a limited Marco tshirt for this game. On the front of the shirt is a list of all his accomplishments in MLS. WOW!!

Posted by: Chico | October 16, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse