It's a Date

Just returned from Nuevo Estadio RFK.....

Here is what you need to know:

*United will soon announce that its first-round playoff HOME game will be Thu., Nov. 1 at 7:30 p.m. The reason for the weeknight date is to accommodate live coverage on ESPN2. (The playoff opener will be on the road Oct. 25-28, depending on the opponent.) If United reaches the Eastern Conference final, they may very well end up playing on Thu., Nov. 8 -- again, for national TV.

*Fred (groin) is fine. Or pretty fine. Or, according to Coach Tom Soehn, "He's a possibility. He's training without pain. That's a good sign. It's better than training with pain."

*Josh Gros (migraines/concussion) did not practice today and will not suit up tomorrow against Chicago. A few people have told me it is very unlikely he will play again this season. However, General Manager Dave Kasper said the club is awaiting a report from the Massachusetts doctor that examined Gros this week before determining a course of action. Added DCU President Kevin Payne: "We're not going to push him."

*United practiced on the new turf for the first time and gave it high marks. The big clock in the south end has been amazingly transformed back into a soccer timepiece with a green MLS Cup logo covering it. Payne said the field dimensions will remain the same the remainder of this season, but will probably be lengthened by two yards (to 110) next season. The width (75) will not change. The new international-style goals (like you see in the World Cup) have arrived, but probably will not be installed until next week.

*Lots more on the field/stadium conversion in Saturday's print editions (available online late Friday) and the possibility of occasional non-soccer events coming to RFK in the future. (You didn't really think DCU would have the place all to itself year-round, did you?)

By Steve Goff  |  October 12, 2007; 1:11 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MacFarlane vs. Fenty
Next: Football Saturday

Comments

two midweek games sent from on high to negate the best crowd in MLS.

the fix is in.

Posted by: d, dc | October 12, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I guess I'm still a little shaken from the Chicago 4-0 victory in the playoffs a couple years back, but if we tie or lose this game wouldn't that guarantee that we wouldn't have to face Chicago in the first round of the playoffs?

Might that be a good thing?

Posted by: Southeasterner | October 12, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Soehn really knows how to tell it like it is. "Practicing with no pain is better than practicing with pain." Way to gice hints about your lineup. I imagine we will see Fred, especially with no Jaime. Glad to know he will be playing pain free. Can't wait to see the pitch!

Posted by: T. Henry | October 12, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Great, I've already purchased my playoff tickets and now will be out of town on business Nov. 1 and may be stuck in meetings on Nov. 8. Thanks an 'effin lot. Ticket purchasers (the ones with jobs and money) may actually work during the week. If the games continue on weekdays in large part, I'll have to drop my season tickets. Way to go DC United and way to go MLS.

Posted by: griffin1108 | October 12, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

-----------
-----------

Beating Chicago on Saturday will do more to keep them out of the playoffs all together.

DC's likely first round opponent is KC or NY. It could be Chicago, but that is the more likely option only if they beat us (and/or and then win their last game vs LA).

Posted by: Playoffs | October 12, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I would imagine the line up is going to be similar to the KC game?

Troy Perkins,
Namoff, McTavish, Vanney, Burch,
Olsen, Dyachenko, Carroll, Simms
Gomez, LUCHO!!

Posted by: d | October 12, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

------
------

sorry to hear this, but Disney's money for the ESPN2 telecasts trump the ticket-buyer's interests.

It's a shame that DC looks to have to put up with 2 of the 3 Thursday playoff games in 2007. But the United crowd can handle it.

It's not the ideal situation, but it is hardly DC United's doing. MLS wanted the tv money, and ESPN2 gave it to them, provided they'd have Thursday games.

Posted by: TV $ | October 12, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

and, likewise, if games continue to be on the weekend, I won't be able to go!!

Griffin, put your tix on Craiglist, someone will snatch them up .

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

If Chicago finishes 8th, it does not face the first seeded DC United. The Fire would move into the Western Conference bracket and face Chivas (likely).

United will play whoever finishes in the middle of NY, KC, and Chicago.

Posted by: Kim | October 12, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

people's complaining is seriously out of hand on here. i live in brooklyn and will still find a way to take the hound or chinatown bus or something for 2 weeknight playoff games.

i am starting to actually agree with marc fisher on something, that soccer fans are the most insufferable whiners out there.

Posted by: pat | October 12, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

After the thrilling nil-nil Dallas Chivas match last night on the Deuce would you expect anything different than putting DCU on the ESPN schedule. Seriously, the only good things that came out of last night's telecast was Toja wig night and Wynalda calling out Brian Hall's ego.

Posted by: Tweaked | October 12, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

it better be not raining, either...

Posted by: JSF | October 12, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

How much is roundtrip airfare to KC?

Posted by: Chico | October 12, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Thursday night crowd at RFK > Any other MLS playoff crowd

Posted by: Todd H. | October 12, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Nice that MLS is starting to get it's playoff dates organized (a little bit earlier than in previous seasons).

This doesn't necessarily help those who can't attend on Thursdays, but RFK will have great crowds for the playoffs, no matter if it is on a Sat, Sun or Thurs.

Posted by: playoff dates | October 12, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

--------
How much is roundtrip airfare to KC?
--------

Probably a bit more than to Chicago or NY (the other still very real options for United's first round playoff away matches).

Posted by: Road Trip | October 12, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Thursday?!?! Are you friggin kidding me? I've got Van Halen tickets for that night!! I hate to do this, but I'm going to have to sell my playoff ticket and DVR the match. What a bunch of wankers MLS are to do that!!

Posted by: steve-o | October 12, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

And here is was thinking Van Halen were the wankers.

Posted by: Rock it | October 12, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Brian Hall - the Peacock! That was hilarious last night. I think that is why he gave the red card- the player called him a peacock.
Hall is almost as much fun as Abby Whatamacallit. He did the MD v Clemson game. Abby Whatamacallit is hands down the worse ref in the USSF. Pathetic and inconsistent a lovely combination is a ref!

YEA NO MORE INFIELD at RFK - WWOOO HOOO

Posted by: bobf | October 12, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I was kinda looking forward to seeing the new goals installed. I like Gros on the field, but I'd much rather have him in the stands than risk more long term damage to his health. I hope Gros is receiving all of the necessary treatment and care.

Thursday night on the ESPN family...at least the Virginia Tech football game on Nov 1 is at Georgia Tech...

Posted by: sitruc | October 12, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me that any complaining about the Thursday dates is kind of baseless. We all bought our playoff tix knowing very well that the matches would be played within a range of days anywhere between Thurs and Sun each weekend. This shouldn't be shocking news to anyone. I will make arrangements to make every match that I can, and ensure that someone else gets the tix for any that I can't.

Posted by: iammrben | October 12, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

The possible playoff dates were announced at the beginning of the season. If you chose to do something one of those nights and now that's the night of the game why is that DCU's fault?

You people kill me.

K

Posted by: SEKim | October 12, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Chico-

RT (before taxes) to KC on the 25th and returning the 27th is $246 from BWI on Southwest. It's all in that range for those dates.

Posted by: Eric | October 12, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand this constant griping over weekday matches. I actually got season tickets for the first time this year (and am now hooked and planning to renew them next year) precisely because so many matches were during the week. If DCU is playing every other Saturday night, that prevents my wife and I from making social plans and doing other things on a prime weekend night. When they play during the week, I can take a colleague from work or a friend. For those of us who work in the city, it is a great way to spend time after getting out of work, and then driving home when there is no rush hour traffic.

The NBA, NHL, and MLB all play prime playoff games during the week, but I don't hear their fans complaining. Why so much with DCU fans?

Posted by: J | October 12, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Keep Gros out of 135. It's more dangerous in the Barra than on the field

Posted by: DirtyHarry | October 12, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Interestingly, it appears that there can be significant differences in ticket prices, depending on whether you are coming or going from KC:

Posted by: Section 410 | October 12, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Eric, that's do-able. But as much $$ as I've spent on United this year it might mean crashing out on a park bench.

Posted by: Chico | October 12, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I doubt Abby is the worst referee in USSF. After all, I bet he's a lot better than I am.

Now, as for worst referee in MLS...

Posted by: Sean | October 12, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I have class on Thursdays. That sucks.
I am not sure if I can skip it yet eithe b/c it is close to mid-terms.

Posted by: jgildea | October 12, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Chico -- I'm seeing as low as $203 from BWI on USAIR for those dates.

Posted by: iammrben | October 12, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Goff,
Thanks for bringing us the latest great news. You are wonderful. Can I have your job?

Posted by: Crystal City | October 12, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Thursday night's definitley not ideal for us college students. If I can't go, I'd rather watch the game on a Whinealda-less CSN than ESPN. Double whammy!

Are the international goals the box-shaped ones?

Posted by: pseudonym | October 12, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

So I guess if we end up meeting NJ or Chicago it'll be on Thursday the 25 and if it's KC it'll be on Saturday the 28th.

Posted by: Chico | October 12, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

And not only is Nov. 1st a weeknight, it's also a HOLY DAY OF OBLIGATION!!! Here's to the possibility of a New York Saturday trip!

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 12, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Thanks (as always) for the report Goff,
Any idea what the crowd will be tomorrow? I need to use my final two vouchers for tix. Am I looking at the upper bowl for a walk up?

Posted by: DJC | October 12, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Club predicts between 24,000 and 30,000, depending on walk-up.

Posted by: Goff | October 12, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

But you can go to church any time on the holy day, and as usual you're welcome to drink, also. I'm a Kraut living in Italy, I'm not going to mess with football . . .

Posted by: Pope Benny | October 12, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

WOW. I ask a question at 2:36, I get an answer at 2:40. Amazing... Amazing service. Goff is the real "special one.:

Posted by: DJC | October 12, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

There is no possibilty of a Saturday New Jersey trip. The Jets are playing that day so if we match up against the RedBulls it'll be on Thursday.

Posted by: Chico | October 12, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Any tips on getting tickets AWAY to watch DC at NY/NJ outside of the packages offered by the supporters' clubs? Is it best to just go to Ticketmaster on the Red Bull website?

Posted by: Erick | October 12, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Kevin for this D.C. United jersey and congratulations on your terrific season," Fenty said. "It is great to see over 20,000 fans here at RFK supporting D.C. United. It is my hope that your fans will soon be coming to your brand new soccer stadium at Poplar Point in Anacostia. World class fans, and a world class team like D.C. United, deserve a world class stadium. And I am going to make it a priority to help you build that stadium. Thank you -- congratulations and good luck to the Black-and-Red!"

-Adrian Fenty on Oct 31 2006 (right before a mayoral elction mind you)

link to full article: http://www.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20061031&content_id=77524&vkey=news_dcu&fext=.jsp&team=t103

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | October 12, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Getting RedBull tickets? Uh, walk up to the booth and take your pick of 77,000 empty seats.

Posted by: Chico | October 12, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

YO -- QUIT YER WHININ' -- ALL DAY NOW -- YER GIVING ME A HEADACHE

grotus cam heather mitts calm these people down?

Posted by: Still admiring Scarlett | October 12, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

While I don't mind weeknight games I mind them starting so late to accomodate the West Coast! It makes the next workday a beast... Regardless I'll be there rain or shine! It would be nice to get Red Bull so Benny can score a hat trick on em! :-)

Posted by: Beltwayrob | October 12, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

starting so late???

it's at 7:30 for pete's sake

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

What's the actual date of the MLS Cup game?

Posted by: Cap Hill | October 12, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

NY has already announced that their home playoff match will be Saturday, October 27 @ 7:30 p.m

Posted by: emanon | October 12, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

DC United fans will make it out on Thursday. What suffers the most is the pre-game tailgating.

Posted by: ML | October 12, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Thursday night bingo night at the 1st Babtist church? Who did they consult before they picked the time?

It sounds like the turnout for Saturday is going to be good, but how many of those people are going for Blanco? Three of my tickets are being used by Mexican Blanco supporters and I'm guessing many many more will be attending.

Posted by: Southeasterner | October 12, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

What's the actual date of the MLS Cup game?

Posted by: Cap Hill | October 12, 2007 02:59 PM

The Cup game is November 18th at 12N.

Posted by: Beaker | October 12, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I don't get all the complaining about schedules. Toronto fans aren't complaining about Thursday games in November, so it could definitely be worse.

Mr. Goff, Do we know what the TV coverage for the away leg will look like? Does it change depending on the opponent?

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | October 12, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Van Geezer? Meetings? Sheesh. REAL fans wouldn't let that keep them from RFK.

BTW, Van Geezer was good a LONG TIME AGO, but now, c'mon! What, Blue OLDster Cult hadda cancel?

Posted by: loosek | October 12, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

starting so late???
it's at 7:30 for pete's sake

Posted by: | October 12, 2007 02:58 PM
---------------

Yes, but that's past our bedtime. Wolfgang can stay up late though.

Posted by: Eddie, Alex, and David | October 12, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Boy am I glad that I didn't but the blackout package. Those Thursday night games are killers.

Posted by: Tommie | October 12, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

This is somewhat confusing. Normally I would say that DCUnited fans are some of the most passionate and dedicated in the country. On par with Red Sox fans, etc. Yet I have never heard any other passionate fans complain about the date and time of a playoff game.

Posted by: hoyanick | October 12, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Are you saying that not being able to miss a mid-term for graduate school shows a lack of passion?

Posted by: jgildea | October 12, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

How dare DC and MLS not individually call every person who might have an interest in the game and schedule it so everyone of them can go? Those ungrateful jerks!

As far as "killing" the crowd, that's a load of manure. What this does is showcases one of the few places that will be rocking regardless of whether the game is Saturday, Thursday or 2:18 a.m. on Tuesday,. which happens to the the only time that the small minority of myopic selfish fans haven't already filled up.

Posted by: Brian | October 12, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

1. we are some whiney barstards, arent we now?

2. while thursday night games aren't a sure sign of the coming apocalypse or anything, you still have to admit it sucks. The DC/Revs eastern conference final was one of the best games i've ever seen, partly because of the atmosphere that night.

I don't think that all of us are complaining about the game being on a weeknight per se, just complaining on the effect that the game being on a weeknight will have on the attendance, atmosphere and the overall home-field advantage that United busted their ass to get.

Posted by: d, dc | October 12, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

3. My apologies for all the terrible grammar in that last post. I'm too, umm, "passionate" to think straight.

Posted by: d, dc | October 12, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RK | October 12, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

But, more importantly, how will the vending situation change now the snoozeball is gone? Will there still be good beer? Will prices go down? Will there still be some sorry dude to wipe off my seat in the Mezzanine rows????

Posted by: Hacksaw | October 12, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

3 or 4 people out of 25,000 have issues about the time and all United fans are labeled as whiners. Yeah, that's fair...

Posted by: Chico | October 12, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

It is the best of all possible worlds

Posted by: Candide | October 12, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

People, are you prepared to see grid lines on our new field next season? Goff's tease at the end would most certainly mean American football of some sort.

Posted by: Hoost | October 12, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I should have said at some point grid lines will occur. Those suckers will eventually wash out, but you get my point.

Posted by: Hoost | October 12, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Men use thought only to justify their wrong doings, and employ speech only to conceal their thoughts.

Posted by: Voltaire | October 12, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Anyone taking bets on a Major League Lacrosse team in RFK?

What about truckasaurus?

Posted by: d, dc | October 12, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Chico, between this and the stadium and the article on it, there has been more than enough whining...

Posted by: RK | October 12, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I think that Guns N Roses and Metallica are coming back to RFK, 15 years later...

Posted by: RK | October 12, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

People, are you prepared to see grid lines on our new field next season?

Posted by: Hoost | October 12, 2007 04:13 PM
--------------------------

Now that the exchange rate is favorable - CFL pre-season exhibition games! Eh.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 12, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, Madonna will return!

Posted by: Bobby Boswell | October 12, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

"Being outside DC, I'm glad that I'll definitely be able to see the game...if I record The Office, that is.

-RK"

The Office is now being shown at its entirety for free on NBC.com!

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 12, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Hrm. Can one of the complainer-complainers please spell out for everyone here exactly which subjects, events, or happenings each of us are allowed to feel annoyed, frustrated, or upset about, and how we're allowed to express those feelings?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Bootsy | October 12, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

You may want to get rid of those Van Halen tickets. Yikes!

Posted by: leafblower | October 12, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

This really sucks. If I skip one more thursday night class for a game, I will fail. I have missed little more than five games in nearly a decade, and now I'm gonna have to miss this one. Looks like someone else is gonna have to step up and take the sticks in 134. I don't think I'm gonna be there.This sucks.

Posted by: Chris | October 12, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Bootsy:

Here's my take --

1. Our home team DCU is the #1 seed, and they are positioned for maximum TV exposure in the play-offs. Let's enjoy this, and enjoy that Insider gave us instantaneous notice so we could make plans A MONTH AHEAD OF TIME and get excited about the games.

2. Our new owner is poised to spend HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of his own dollars to build a NEW STADIUM. There remains some chance that the City will actually ALSO spend HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of dollars for infrastructure to support that new stadium. Let's enjoy this and exert our right to petition our government, but as of yet we really don't have a grievance to redress. Victor might, but we don't.

3. It seems that the Washington Post is as committed to coverage of soccer, mens and womens, as any major media outlet in the country. The Insider just got back from THREE WEEKS in China to cover a WOMENS SOCCER TOURNAMENT. He posts here EVERY DAY about soccer. The Post pays him to do this. The Post had a page 1 Metro section story today about Victor's grievance. We should enjoy this.

Posted by: WNT fan | October 12, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

That Van Halen clip is officially the worst thing I've ever seen!!!!

Whoever had the VH tickets...........GET RID OF THEM BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Hoost | October 12, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

We're complaining, but we'll still be there. Actually, not all of my family can be there, but at least I will be. Maybe there would be less complaining now if the schedule hadn't been loaded with mid week and Sunday games all year. I gave away a bunch of tickets this year.

Posted by: ff | October 12, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't anyone else posting here have kids in school? Having to miss one of the matches would be OK but if both were it Thursdays it would be a real disappointment to them and their families, who are an important fan base.

Posted by: RB | October 12, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

To WNT fan: Nice sense of perspective.

As a guy who goes way back to the Diplomats and the NASL, I think things generally look pretty damn good. We've got a ways to go, but damn if we haven't made huge strides with the beautiful game in this country.

Posted by: KR in DC | October 12, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

WOW. People have problems with a Thursday night game and they somehow lack passion. Not every fan lives inside the beltway. Some of us live a distance away: Delaware, Hampton or, in my case C'ville. Try getting home at 1:00 AM all jazzed from the game, falling asleep around 3:00 or 3:30, and getting back up at 6:00. Have a productive day at work. Do it at 20. Try it at 50+.
Kim's right. We all knew the games could be on Thursday. That doesn't prevent us from being disappointed or a bit pi$$ed at the scheduling. Thursday games suck for many. Add in the quality BSPN broadcast and you have a less than ideal game situaion.
And yes, I'll be at the game, but I'll have an extra ticket because my wife won't be up for it. She'll have to listen to Whineallday. Now that sucks.

asitis

Posted by: asitis | October 12, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Thursday night game = Facu's fault.

Posted by: Perspective | October 12, 2007 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Why won't DCU play WHEN I WANT THEM TO PLAY AND WHEN IT IS THE MOST CONVIENENT FOR ME?

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Posted by: Old Fart | October 12, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

The scheduling of the playoff games is all my doing. Take that babies.

hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Posted by: Mayor Fenty | October 12, 2007 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Fenty 1 v 1 vs. Barry in the estadio at halftime with some mini goals.

Referee: Hristo.

Play-by-play: the Goffer.

Stats: Nakamura.

Doping control: Mark Fisher (cause he's a dope) :)

Post game analysis: this august body.

Takers?

Posted by: MR Caretaker | October 12, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Doping control? How long does it take that stuff to clear your system? Not that I need to know.

Posted by: Former Mayor-for-life | October 12, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

"I'd like to see Fenty 1 v 1 vs. Barry"

Fenty is quite fit, but Barry will smack him in the head with the mini goal when the ref isn't looking and apply the "Ward 8" (it's like a figure 4 but twice as painful).

Oh. Did you mean 1 v 1 in soccer?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 12, 2007 6:07 PM | Report abuse

i dont care who finishes in the seven or eight spot. bring em on.

Posted by: castroviejo | October 12, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

I'd stick it to Fenty in any competition.

Posted by: Marion Barry | October 12, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Asitis, care to give a carless first year a ride?

PLEEEEEASE!

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 12, 2007 7:05 PM | Report abuse

for those still following the sagas of the WNT - Solo did not participate in practice today; Scurry to start in goal on Sat

Posted by: emanon | October 12, 2007 7:23 PM | Report abuse

You guys really want to see schedule whine hissy fit of the year? United make it MLS Cup, noon kickoff. Redskins at Dallas starts an hour later...

Posted by: Kev | October 12, 2007 8:04 PM | Report abuse

RB said--Doesn't anyone else posting here have kids in school?
Yep-I've got 2 and all 4 of us (wife+2 kids) will be there on a Thursday night. Friday may suck slightly but such is life. My older daughte would kill me if I force her to skip a game just because it is a school night.

Posted by: I'm OK with Thursday | October 12, 2007 8:05 PM | Report abuse

I will speak for the complainers.

Unlike some of the selfless dedicated fans that have taken a vow of loyalty to DC United. Some of us season and non season ticket holders have other things in our life besides posting on the Internet and getting drunk.

I love the playoffs and DC United and have been to all the playoff games since we were not in the playoffs. I will probably attend these matches only because I don't think I could bear watching the "showcase" on ESPN. My two school age children, however, will not because they have school.

I would like to add that it was the Eastern Conference Final in '04 against New England that sank the hook in my youngest daughter. Up until that game I had to twist her arm to get her to come to a game. After it, she has become a season ticket holder.

I can only think of all the kids who won't be at this game and won't feel the buzz of a playoff atmosphere. They will have to watch it on TV instead, and be exposed to the three morons talking about anything but the game.

I'm sick and tired of having my regular Saturday night routine shattered by ESPN. They do a crappy job broadcasting the game. My nose is still out of joint from the first Thursday night game this season at RFK. The one that was delayed because of a volleyball game. I busted to get me and the kids into our seats for the early start to sit and wait for the volleyball game to end. I've been a season ticket holder for a few years and will not renew this year until the schedule comes out. If DCU becomes the "showcase" team I will cherry pick my games until they start selling out on a regular basis.

The Thursday games stink. I will stop complaining about Thursday night playoff games when the NFL schedules its playoff games on Thursday night. Baseball, Hockey and Basketball play so many playoff games that if they only played on weekends the playoffs would last six months.

So I will go, but only pay 1/3 the price. From where I sit it's a lose-lose.

Posted by: Tommie | October 12, 2007 8:19 PM | Report abuse

UVA to RFK,
PM me on Big Soccer. I'm sure we can work something out.
asitis

Posted by: asitis | October 12, 2007 8:24 PM | Report abuse

_________________________________________

I posted this link on an earlier thread, but I'll post it again here:

Even if you're sick of this story line, this article may be a good read, because it reveals much about the upper echelons of USSF, and as such it may have implications for both the MNT and WNT.

Posted by: Section 410 | October 12, 2007 8:29 PM | Report abuse

so what if your kids are a little tired the next day for school. so what if you're a little tired the next day for work. go to the game, take the family, have fun, and stop whining about it like a bunch of little babies (coincidentally, babies that should be at the game).

you could always keep the kids home from school the next day and write em a sick-note.

Posted by: STOP WHINING | October 12, 2007 9:14 PM | Report abuse

This treatment they're giving Solo is crap. You want to "keep it in the family"? Then DON'T TALK ABOUT IT. Solo hasn't said a damn thing since popping off, and Lilly and Wambach and Chalupny and Ryan are all quoted at length talking about how they might some day in the distant future think about letting Solo back into their good graces, assuming she grovels sufficiently. It smells like they've put her on the roster for these crap games just to humble her. They're behaving like . . . girls. They're supposed to be women. This is like a bad high school locker room. The Federation needs to get in there, get Ryan out of there, and get this team pointed in the right direction (i.e. forward). Ryan should get the same ignominious send-off he gave Chastain. Are these "leaders" really going to let this ship go down with Ryan at the helm?

Milbrett was right!

Posted by: WNT fan | October 12, 2007 9:21 PM | Report abuse

They fixed the clock. All is right in the world. We have our SSS back.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | October 12, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

STOP WHINING,
Some people actually feel their job is important. Some people are actually able to good deeds in their profession. And sometimes those jobs require alertness and attention. I hope you have such a position some day. Peace.

asitis

Posted by: asitis | October 12, 2007 10:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure if I'm one of the complainers or not... I'll be at the games though.

Posted by: sitruc | October 12, 2007 11:22 PM | Report abuse

asitis: "Some people actually feel their job is important."

Some people take themselves too seriously.

Posted by: KR in DC | October 13, 2007 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Goff - welcome to the flipside of the "passionate fan" album.

While the proud, the few, the passionate DCU fans have been great to attend to on The Insider, you are now witnessing what Boston sports-writers have been dealing with for decades.

If you want to see some of the most passionate sports fans in the world, go to Boston on Patriot's Day (a Massachusetts holiday - always a Monday in April) for the running of the Marathon and possibly the BoSox home-opener and an early play-off game for the Celtics or the Bruins - Unbelievable! Unfortunately, the rest of the year in Boston also gives you the opportunity to witness the most fickle, most whiniest (yes - that is a real word), most crotchety fans on the planet.

With the passion comes the fret... And those of us whining about all the whining might as well just get used to it and perversely consider all of the whining a good thing - a lot of people actually care about this team.

Posted by: Mickey | October 13, 2007 8:42 AM | Report abuse

WNT fan is spot on.

Lilly said that this isn't like Terrell Owen. Well she's right. The Eagles didn't banish Owen for arguing with McNabb.

I would go a step further, though. I would find a way to politely ask Lilly and Scurry to bow out so that the WNT can move forward.

Mean Girls Suck!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 13, 2007 9:01 AM | Report abuse

--------

I hear ya. I'm a native New Englander.

SG

Posted by: Goff | October 13, 2007 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Wow - as a Hokie fan and United fan, you whiners could learn a lesson from the Hokies...

You think we complain about all the Thursday night games we get? No way - we love them? They are among the most sought after tickets on our home schedule year after year.

Stop the whining - suck it up - show up.

Posted by: SlimTim | October 13, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Van Geezer? Meetings? Sheesh. REAL fans wouldn't let that keep them from RFK.

Posted by: loosek | October 12, 2007 03:16 PM

We all know that REAL Salt Lake will not be in the playoffs....which obviously means that they will not have to play on TH night.

As for this one:

asitis: "Some people actually feel their job is important."
Some people take themselves too seriously.

Posted by: KR in DC

I and a few of my ticket holding friends work at a nuclear power plant in the area. And yes, we actually operate the reactor. I realize I may be a little full of myself here but it sometimes seems important that we are attentive and capable of doing our jobs well.
That being said, I will damn sure be there on a TH night. Or Fr, or Sat or Sun......

You guys should really leave this junk for BigSoccer.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

the main thing that is dissapointing is that Saturday night DC United games are truly special - it is the time when the largest and most diverse crowd gets to the game. I mean Goffer is talking about 25,000 to 30,000 tonight for a regular season game.

DC United playing on thursday night is an honor because if the bigwigs at ESPN sit down together and want to put an MLS game on national tv and Beckham isn't available then DC United always gets the call. (see DC / Colorado this past spring instead of the title holders Houston).

Hey, if we are going to complain about something we should complain about the people who removed the north stands when the Nationals came into town and then got rid of them. Now that the Nationals are gone we are missing an incredible opportunity to have a continuous lower bowl that would a) increase the noise level b) increase the number of people near the field c) have La Norte where they should be located d) increase overall attendance.

Posted by: diego r. | October 13, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

STOP WHINING,

asitis

Posted by: asitis | October 12, 2007 10:41 PM

please, get over yourself. i have had one such job for many years and yet i still manage to make it to all dcu games no matter what day or what time. u want a tissue or 2 for all of ur tears?

Posted by: STOP WHINING | October 13, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

STOP WHINING,
Sorry if I hit a nerve. My point was not everyone can just blow off their jobs and as I said previously, not everyone lives within the beltway. Some of us travel several hours to get to the games, which means only 3-4 hours of sleep before going to work the next day.

In the area around where I sit at RFK are a judge, a heart surgeon, and a nurse who works with children with diabetes. Me? I'm retired and thus have a position of no importance. I wouldn't want that surgeon operating on me with only 3-4 hours of sleep. My point is still, Thursday games are much more difficult for some and attendance is not always a litmus test of loyalty or passionate support.

I'm sure someone as intelligent as you can understand that. I'll be at that Thursday game and I'm glad you will be too.

asitis

Posted by: asitis | October 13, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I wonder whether DCU gets more money from Disney for a Thursday night match than it would get from CSN for a Saturday night match. If so, is the difference enough to compensate for the smaller attendance on Thursday?

Posted by: Section 410 | October 13, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Paying attention at the nuclear plant is overrated. Much more fun to get drunk and post on the Internet.

Posted by: Homer Simpson | October 13, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

You liver-donor from section 7-g needs to get back to work and making me more money.

Posted by: C. Montgomery Burns | October 13, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse