Matchday 29: DCU vs. Chicago

[updated throughout]

Greetings again from Nuevo Estadio RFK. My first visit to the old arena since Aug. 22. Nice to be back. Thanks for asking.

Plenty at stake tonight as United looks to lock up the Eastern Conference regular season title and move closer to the Supporters Shield, while Chicago needs points in its late push for a playoff berth. With Columbus playing New England, New York facing Kansas City and Los Angeles taking on Toronto, there will be some postseason clarity by the end of the night. Promise.

Gorgeous evening, big crowd expected (25K, perhaps?), new playing surface, new clock (except it's not actually working tonight), few reminders that mediocre (I'm being generous) baseball scarred this place for three years.

In the wake of the discouraging Poplar Point news this week, you think we'll see any anti-Fenty banners? ;-)

As for United having the stadium to itself, I did warn you in my article today that Spike TV wants to film a portion of its sports reality show, "Pros vs Joes", at RFK and United folks have been told it will happen this coming week. Which means there will be paint applied to the newly minted field. It also means possible leftover scars for future futbol matches. Stadium officials have assured the team that the markings will be gone by next weekend. Gotta love it.

DCU LINEUP: Perkins; Namoff, McTavish, Vanney, Burch; Olsen, Simms, Gomez, Fred; Kpene, Emilio.

As usual, you are at the right place for pregame, in-game and postgame ranting, venting and rejoicing.

By Steve Goff  |  October 13, 2007; 5:24 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Football Saturday
Next: DCU Aftermath

Comments

""few reminders that mediocre (I'm being generous) baseball scarred this place for three years.""

OUCH!! Take that Fischer!!

. . . keep in mind baseball did bring GUINNESS to RFK . . .

mind you probably not the Press Box but don't you have lobster tail there?

Posted by: delantero | October 13, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

paint? for what?

Posted by: Demko | October 13, 2007 5:52 PM | Report abuse

The Spike TV thing reminds me of when the district was laying down fiber optic cables: tear up this street, lay cable for one company, patch the street... and repeat many many times.

Posted by: RB | October 13, 2007 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Was the Home Depot Center not available this season?

Posted by: B.A. | October 13, 2007 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else see the little q/a in this weeks issue of the print Sports Illustrated? good stuff it was

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | October 13, 2007 6:07 PM | Report abuse

any cool planes flying over for the special veterans appreciation?

free gatorade dc united water bottles, yahoo!!!

i don't care what you paint, if we have a place to play i am thrilled!

the field was free to dc, right?

id like to see a national polo league team at rfk, i did see a commercial for motorcross next spring at rfk

Posted by: Juanes | October 13, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I was the one that participated in the q/a for SI.

Posted by: Ben Olsen | October 13, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Good luck (please win) from all Galaxy fans...

Posted by: Mike | October 13, 2007 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Why Kpene! He hasn't done anything in months out there.

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 13, 2007 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Why Kpene! He hasn't done anything in months out there.

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 13, 2007 07:33 PM

Apparently he had a very good week at practice.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2007 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Perkins showing up big once again.

Posted by: Bart | October 13, 2007 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Let me know if anyone can make out the screaming eagles sign addressed to Fenty.

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 13, 2007 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I guess it's just, "Fenty, keep United in D.C." I thought there was more since the adjacent banners are also white.

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 13, 2007 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Looks like it says Fenty keep United in DC

Posted by: emanon | October 13, 2007 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Fenty Keep United in DC...99.9% sure that is what it says

Posted by: Kristina | October 13, 2007 7:51 PM | Report abuse

sorry to be seeing it so much in the first half, but like the sign for the online petition on the wall behind perkins

Posted by: emanon | October 13, 2007 8:21 PM | Report abuse

kpene is overdue, good half for dc, great hussle, defense needs to improve, look for moreno to fly in on helicopter

Posted by: nilo | October 13, 2007 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Have they announced the attendence?

Posted by: MJP | October 13, 2007 8:31 PM | Report abuse

the comcast commentator has butchered blanco's first name all half, how hard would it be to learn his name, its embarrassing, you should be more professional Mr. Dave, you look stupid and unpreparerd

kevin payne gives interview....nothing new

Posted by: nomo | October 13, 2007 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Fred is having a great game so far, I like the chemistry between him and Burch.

Burch needs to learn how to get his crosses off a little quicker.

The defense looks sluggish, at least on the right side with Namoff and McTavish having a so-so first half. Vanney looks sharp though, more or less.

Kpene is giving the ball away a lot, he needs to gain more composure on the ball, settle for the simple pass or something.
But he's not had a terrible first half, at least he hasn't been invisible. Would've been nice to see that post shot go in, I imagine it'd do wonders for his confidence to bag one. He did well to get it off so quickly.

Posted by: uranderson | October 13, 2007 8:36 PM | Report abuse

dc is going left to right for second half

Posted by: nolpin | October 13, 2007 8:40 PM | Report abuse

wow, Dyachenko looking good.

Posted by: uranderson | October 13, 2007 9:14 PM | Report abuse

good grief this has been a dull game.

Anybody else worried about DC in the playoffs this season? They've played so well all year. I hate to see them possibly lose form or just plain fade again when they've clearly been the best team in MLS all year.

Posted by: jasonVA | October 13, 2007 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Not sure I'd call that dull, personally.

Great tactics by Osorio. Can't wait for Jaime to come back.

Posted by: B.A. | October 13, 2007 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Would you agree that this was Burch's worst game? He couldn't get crosses off and was too cute around the penalty box, almost resulting in a goal.

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 13, 2007 9:33 PM | Report abuse

can one of you locals tell the dumb arses on sports night that the local soccer team is not refered to as "the United"....

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2007 9:34 PM | Report abuse

roengen said he is taking marco to argentina to coach, what team, is marco apart of the national system?

Posted by: Louis | October 13, 2007 9:38 PM | Report abuse

And I also thought the referees did a fantastic job tonight. Very fair.

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 13, 2007 9:44 PM | Report abuse

i want to say a thank you to burch for sweeping out blanco's legs, blanco will regret not playing on the national team under la volpe,

Blanco is scum.

Posted by: Paul | October 13, 2007 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Actually Blanco swept his own legs out. Burch just stood there and Blanco fell over him.

I think Stott might have called a few more fouls, but overall he let them play.

For 0-0 I thought it was pretty exciting.

Also agree that Burch was bad tonight. And in the 2nd half he was playing midfield instead of defense for some reason.

Troy saved the boys for sure. MotM well-deserved.

Posted by: Glenn | October 13, 2007 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Riveting Match. Best Nil-Nil match I've seen in-person. Mr. Stott sure let them play. Awesome Perkins. Guess we know why Burch was converted to defense. Way too slow in release. That hesitation step he had tonight has got to go if he plays up front again. I know it wasn't the plan, but it felt like we were playing for a draw, with the hope of sneaking one.

Posted by: SW Trevor in Sec 231 | October 13, 2007 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Thought Rod looked pretty good tonight. Emilio is a great finisher but not great at much else. He doesnt seem to get involved enough. Like others have said Burch was not great tonight and I thought Benny was quiet. Jamie was definitely missed and Perkins is a legend.

Posted by: p | October 13, 2007 10:38 PM | Report abuse

i can't believe conde didn't get a yellow for that awful dive

Posted by: pat | October 13, 2007 11:05 PM | Report abuse

. . . keep in mind baseball did bring GUINNESS to RFK . . .

Yes, and thankfully it, and its companion, Harp (which I love) is still alive and well at RFK.

Posted by: seahawkdad | October 14, 2007 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Bennie, has anyone else noticed he's stopped taking it into the corners any more? Lots of back passes, little taking on defenders.

What's up? Goff? What's you're analysis?

Posted by: seahawkdad | October 14, 2007 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Kpene's hair is much improved but I think Dyachenko showed more flair tonight.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 14, 2007 12:52 AM | Report abuse

I think it's a fair result given that it probably should've been a hand ball / red card for Perkins. Now we can close out the season at home versus Columbus, capture the Supporters Shield, and get ready for the playoffs

Posted by: diego r. | October 14, 2007 1:18 AM | Report abuse

I was really disappointed that DC could not win tonight and virtually clinch the Shield. Thankfully we have the head-to-head advantage.

Simms, in my opinion, has really become one of DCs best players, he had an excellent game tonight.

Posted by: Red Devil | October 14, 2007 1:19 AM | Report abuse

even though we clinch home field i feel that it is a chance blown...to a true football supporter the supporters shield is huge

Posted by: dc united fan in the stl | October 14, 2007 1:49 AM | Report abuse

re: I also fear we've run out of momentum. Same thing happened around this time last year. However, Jaime wasn't here today, and he has made a HUGE difference this year. I'm too lazy to do research, but I think our overall record is pretty stellar when he's not in South America

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 13, 2007 09:33 PM
===========================================

It was an acorn.

Posted by: JSF | October 14, 2007 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Emilio and Fred have to step it up a little going into post season. The two of them had a very limited impact last night. I actually think Gomez has had a lot of great games lately and last night could have been the best of the seaon. He looked like a man on a mission and played very well.

Wasn't a horrible result but it was Chicago and we know what they do to us in the playoffs.

Go Colorado!

Ohh and what happened to the ATM's at RFK? I guess the Nats and PNC took all the working ones and left us with a few machines without any money.

Posted by: Southeasterner | October 14, 2007 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I am sure it's the record but noticed that it was a clean game last night. NO yello cards. Wow!! from a mls ref.

Posted by: dorjee | October 14, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I am sorry..meant to say "it was not a record".

Posted by: dorjee | October 14, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

"We never even talked about the Eastern Conference championship, really," defender Greg Vanney said. "It was just one of those things that was out there, but I guess we just did enough to pick up the point we needed."
posted in today's post section. That's the kind of attitude I don't like to hear from the team. Where is the passson, hunger and have to win attitude?

Posted by: dorjee | October 14, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I think the quote is more about them so focused on the Supporter's Shield. They really want to win that instead, the Eastern Conference Championship was just there along the way. The ECC was not their goal, I actually like that attitude I like to hear, that they are focused on the big prize.

Posted by: Tim | October 14, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse