Monday Night Futbol

The votes are in. The ballots have been tallied. The D.C. United team award winners are.....

Team MVP: Luciano Emilio.
Defensive Player of the Year: Bryan Namoff.
Humanitarian: Bobby Boswell.
Coaches' Award: Ben Olsen.
Fans' Choice: Olsen.
Goal of the Year: Olsen (volley vs. N.Y.).

Shifting gears.....

*What in the name of Hristo Stoitchkov went down in College Park on Sunday? The Terps tied Cal State Northridge, 1-1, in a match marred by four red cards, three yellows and a game-ending melee. Read the gory details from the student newspaper here. Any Insider loyalists witness the carnage? Share your thoughts -- please! Maryland is back in action Tuesday night at home against Georgetown, which will try to beat the Terps for the first time after 26 consecutive losses.

*Let's put this next item in the We-Were-Last-In-Attendance-By-Far-And-Will-Do-Anything-For-A-Decent-Playoff-Turnout category. From our friends in Kansas City:

Beginning at 5:30 p.m., vendors will set up inside Arrowhead Stadium with candy and other items for trick-or-treaters courtesy of M&I Bank. Children 12 and under wearing a Halloween costume will enter the match for free with the purchase of an adult ticket and be able to participate in the trick-or-treat festivities. Participants can pick up admission vouchers and trick-or-treat bags at tables located outside Wizards box offices. Children in costumes will also be able to take part in the human tunnel on the field during pregame.

*And finally, be sure to pick up a copy of the latest Washingtonian magazine. At the very bottom of the "Post Watch" page, you will see a reference to the Soccer Insider being the second most-popular sports blog on washingtonpost.com behind the Redskins machine. Gracias to all of you for making it happen!

By Steve Goff  |  October 22, 2007; 9:00 PM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ryan Out as Women's Coach
Next: U-17 Shake-Up (continued)

Comments

Internet sacrilige, I know, but I would pay money to read this blog. I really would.

Congratulations, Senor Goff, on the best soccer blog in the country.

Posted by: Ron | October 22, 2007 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like a Maryland tradition -- lost to Virginia in football, so they followed up with violence. Any couches burned?

Posted by: RK | October 22, 2007 9:16 PM | Report abuse

------

Don't tempt me like that! My capitalist instincts are already telling me to take this baby independent. ;-)

Posted by: Goff | October 22, 2007 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Please tell me some of the Terps' star players were among the ones red-carded, so that the Hoyas actually have the chance of beating them... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | October 22, 2007 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't at the game, but only starting RB Costanzo was red carded.

I expect that we'll see Rodney Wallace slot back into the left back and Spenser Allen flip-flop from the left to the right back.

This will get Drew Yates on the field.

Gtown should have a hard time tomorrow night (Tuesday), but MD has been playing to their competition this year (e.g., Stony Brook, CS-Northridge, etc.).

For Gtown fans, watch the speedy freshmen forward Chandler Diggs and DM Rob Burnett.

I really like freshman midfielder Seth C'debaca.

MD has too many weapons. I don't think that that they'll be able to contain the speed of Wallace and Hall (if he's not too injured). King and Zusi could have good games.

On set pieces, it'll be interesting to watch the battle in air between MD's Omar Gonzalez and Gtown's Len Coleman.

Posted by: JSF | October 22, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Was Abby reffing that UMD game?

Posted by: Kinney | October 22, 2007 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Gracias to all of you for making it happen!

No, THANK YOU GOFF for making it happen

Posted by: Curious | October 22, 2007 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Abby wasn't the ref for this game, but it does sound so Abby like!

MD was treated to Abby for the Clemson match.

Posted by: JSF | October 22, 2007 10:41 PM | Report abuse

I probably would have voted for Perkins as Defender of the Year. Namoff started strong but has waned in recent weeks. Perkins single-handedly wonor tied matches for us this year.

Third year in a row for Boswell as Humanitarian of the Year. Good for him.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2007 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Hold it....Was Troy Perkins eligible for defensive player of the year? I would think that he would be eligible. So, I don't see how Namoff won this instead of Perkins.

Posted by: JSF | October 22, 2007 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hedbal | October 22, 2007 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Rimando win the Defender of the Year award for DCU a couple of years ago? I think keepers are indeed eligible for this award.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2007 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Defender of the Year is given to defenders. If Perkins enters the argument, so does Simms. It's a flawed award, but aren't most individual awards in a team sport?

It's good to see Olsen get awards. Is there a way we could create a Ben Olsen award, and then give it to Ben Olsen?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 22, 2007 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Ok, does the UMD "firm" really call themselves the Crew?

Of all the names to pick...at least its not Red Bull College Park.

Posted by: the cheat | October 22, 2007 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Perkins has tied a few games for United but he's let in some atrocious goals to pretty much lose some key matches, as well.

Posted by: Jeff | October 23, 2007 12:28 AM | Report abuse

There should be a Ben Olsen award!! Give it to the player who most shows the qualities of Olsen (other than him for now and then when he's retired)

Posted by: RB | October 23, 2007 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Thinking about the injuries...

If Moreno is ready and Kpene starts too, I'm fairly comfortable with that. That's a lot of holding in the attacking third. Maybe not enough shooting though... but maybe Gomez, Olsen and Fred can pick up the slack there.

What are some other options if Moreno's not ready? Jamil's still out. Marc Burch up top, anyone? Monteiro?

Posted by: Joe S. | October 23, 2007 3:01 AM | Report abuse

Gracias to all of you for making it happen!

No, THANK YOU GOFF for making it happen

Posted by: Curious | October 22, 2007 10:05 PM

Indeed, Thanks to Mr. Goff for giving us such a valuable resource. And for keeping it from becoming like BigSoccer.

Posted by: marksman | October 23, 2007 4:57 AM | Report abuse

thank you. this is the first place I look for news & updates.

Posted by: m | October 23, 2007 6:43 AM | Report abuse

Beard of the Year-Ben Olsen.

Wait, he shaved it and it grew back.

Ben wins again.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | October 23, 2007 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Why Chicago doesn't scare me Part Deux:

The Wanchope line is great!

from Steve Davis, soccernet.com:

""Bad: The forwards are plain awful. At least Chad Barrett works hard for chances, even if he finishes like a peg-legged pirate. Paulo Wanchope? Oh, my, where to start? He's slow, his first touch is horrendous, his runs are plodding and ineffective and his passing is horrible. Otherwise, he's pretty good. ""

Posted by: delantero | October 23, 2007 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Hair Color of the Year: Fuchsia Fusion, G. Kpene

Posted by: d | October 23, 2007 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: edgeonyou | October 23, 2007 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Chicago has a good team, and we are going to have to keep it together for a whole match to beat them. Watching Blanco work the midfield has been pretty impressive (even though I hate him ....) I think this is going to be a really tough series.

I can't believe this blog is second to the Redskins. I didn't think most football fans in Washington knew how to write.

Posted by: Hacksaw | October 23, 2007 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Simms needs to shadow Blanco just like Richie Williams used to get in Valderama's hair. so to speak ;>D

Posted by: Chico | October 23, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"The Terrapin men's soccer team has struggled to finish games throughout this season. But never before has it needed police assistance."

A clever lead... but not a clip for the Terps' SID to proudly display.

Posted by: Joe Doc | October 23, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Thursday's line-up:

---------- Perkins ----------

Namoff -- Vanney -- Bos -- Burch

---------- McTavish ------------

Fred --- Simms --- Carroll -- Olsen

------------ Gomez ---------------

Rest Moreno and Emilio, look for the tie or win on a set piece, take the second match at home in front of 30,000 screaming Barra Brava/Screaming Eagles/U9 youth soccer players.

Posted by: Joe Doc | October 23, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

A clever lead... but not a clip for the Terps' SID to proudly display.

Don't worry, no one reads the diamondback. And if they do, they know it's only a small jump up from a tabloid.

Posted by: Dave | October 23, 2007 10:02 AM | Report abuse

"I don't think keepers compete with defenders in the voting. If they did, I would be torn between Perkins and Namoff. As it is, Namoff is an excellent choice. He's our best man defender, and I stopped counting how many would-be goals he cleared off the line (two against Columbus Saturday.)

Posted by: hedbal | October 22, 2007 10:52 PM "

*************

Hmmm, that may be the case, but Namoff was clearly at fault on the Crew's first goal Saturday night! I still can't believe we lost that game!

Steve Goff, thank you so much for this blog! It's the first place I go for DCU news each and every day... now, my employer's feelings may differ, but if they don't get it, they don't get it!

Posted by: Soy United! | October 23, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I don't think keepers should compete with field players for positional awards, it is a completely different position. Should D-mids get to compete for defensive player of the year? (oh, and i am a retired keeper) most valuabe, sure.

Posted by: Northzax | October 23, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

"Joe S., you're "comfortable" with Kpene starting? Hmm, he's a forward who's playing 626 minutes this year (almost exactly 7 full games worth) and not put the biscuit in the basket once... He seems like a nice guy, but even the woeful Adderly found the back of the net once...

Posted by: edgeonyou | October 23, 2007 09:18 AM"

Hmm, yeah, point taken, "comfortable" may have been a poor word choice. How about "not completely panicking, yet"?

Posted by: Joe S. | October 23, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

when does the MLS MVP get awarded? does it take postseason play into account?

Posted by: pat | October 23, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

At the KC games, the kids could come dressed as Wizards fans (but no one knows what one looks like) ... or empty seats (but their parents would never be able to find them). They could dress up like the Wizards' attendance figures - that would be really scary...

Posted by: skippy | October 23, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Senor Goff -- any news on Fred's health status? He looked to be grabbing his lower abdomen and limping for chunks of the Columbus match; groin strain not yet healed?

Posted by: Bootsy | October 23, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Ben Olsen Beard of the Year: Casey Blake of the Cleveland Indians. The dude looks like he is straight out of the nineteenth century!

Posted by: diego r. | October 23, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I would like to nominate Bobby Boswell's kick into Luis Angel Landin's family jewels as the SuperLiga humanitarian moment of the year.

Does anyone know where I can find a nomination form?

;-)

Posted by: garbaggio | October 23, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

The KC Halloween deal is not the worst idea (the $5 playoff tickets they did a few years ago was really embarrassing as the attendance was woeful despite the discount). Still, the team formerly known as the MetroStars remains the king for such marketing gems as Metro Playoff Fever (complete with silly plastic red hats, not sure what that was about) and Metal Mike singing the MPF theme song. But my all time favorite was the Metros/Pathmark Turkey giveaway. The logo for the promotion was a cartoon turkey with a Metros jersey on.

K

Posted by: SEKim | October 23, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

By Steve Goff | October 22, 2007; 9:00 PM ET

So what happens when the DC United season is over? How do we keep this going strong? What's the posting protocol?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 23, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Out of left field, I know ... but does anybody know how EPL seeds the league cup? With 20 teams, a single elimination tournament doesn't reduce to two teams.

These are the things that nag me at 2AM.

Posted by: Matte | October 23, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

The posting protocol is that this is the Soccer Insider, not the DC United Insider. Lot's to be discussed once the MLS season is over.

Posted by: Chico | October 23, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

__________________________________________

As people have noted again and again, this is Soccer Insider, not DC United Insider. There is men's and women's NCAA postseason action in November and early December, men's and women's Olympic qualifying after that, international action the year round, USA friendlies, etc., etc.

Posted by: Section 410 | October 23, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Not that I don't think Emilio is great, but the team MVP should have gone to Simms. Look at how United's fortunes turned around once he entered the starting lineup. He is the linchpin to the team.

Posted by: Herndonite | October 23, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I think Burch needs some sort of award. "He's the Man" award or something like that.

Not quite the MVP but pretty close, I can't wait to see this kid on the US Nat's team in South Africa.

Posted by: Southeasterner | October 23, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

The English League Cup includes teams from the EPL, Championship, League 1 and 2.

Posted by: SteveJW | October 23, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

RE: Award for Burch. How about the "I have no right foot, which makes it easier for defenders to defent my left-footed crosses because they know I won't/can't kick it with my right foot" award?

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | October 23, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse

From Adam Spangler's blog, This is American Soccer:

"More data is coming in now that the 2007 MLS regular season is over. 3,270,210 people went to see games for an average attendance of 16,770. Last year that average was 15,504. That's 8.2 percent growth from last season to this year. E-mailer "Soccer is Life" who dropped these numbers into my inbox notes this is the biggest jump since the 8.8 percent between 2000 and 2001. To no one's surprise, the LA Galaxy had the highest attendances (again), but again our emailer notes that it's "actually not higher than some of their winning seasons in the past, even with the so-called "Beckham Effect" this year." He finishes by driving the nail in: "LA Galaxy continues to beat out the Lakers and Kings in attendance averages."

Read it at: http://www.thisisamericansoccer.com/

Posted by: Soy United! | October 23, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Ben Olsen Beard of the Year Award IV (after Ben's 2 wins and Casey Blake)-Matt Jones from the Jacksonville Jaguars. That thing was tremendous. And he says he's not shaving it until he scores a touchdown. It's gonna eat a small child before that happens.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | October 23, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

On the Football League Cup...

The Cups in England aren't seeded, they are blind draws before each round.

The first round is all League 1 and League 2 teams (48). The second round is the 24 winners, the 24 Championship teams and the 12 or so Premiership teams not playing in Europe. The third round contains all winners plus the European participants of the Premiership. After that, it's winners only moving into the next draw.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | October 23, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Whats a guy got to do to get a blog posting? Did Goff go back to China?

Posted by: dwbpnm | October 23, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Goff, how's KP doing?

Posted by: Soy United! | October 23, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

JayRockers and SteveJW , are you guys talking about the FA cup? I'm specifically asking about the league cup, I think it's been called the Carling Cup for the past 2 or 3 seasons. I know the FA cup has entrants from all the English professional leagues. But I thought, maybe I'm wrong, that the league cup was only open to EPL teams. ??

Posted by: Matte | October 23, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Top ten united goals maybe definitly up for debate but entertaining all the same:

Posted by: OutofTwnFan | October 23, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Emilio was an unknown back in his mone country but has made the news (albeit short) with his MLS Golden Boot!

Posted by: JP | October 23, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

UEFA: Rangers v. Barcelona is on now on ESPN2.

Posted by: d | October 23, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow! This football feild looks amazing. Atmostphere sounds like a Worldcup game.

Posted by: d | October 23, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Beasly not started for Rangers.

Posted by: d | October 23, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

That Brazilian article says that Luchi is a naturalized Honduran. Does he really have Honduran citizenship already?

Posted by: Soy United! | October 23, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Matte-

Yes. Football League Cup, known this week as the Carling Cup. Limited to the 92 professional teams in the top four divisions in England. My know the homepage of the Football League (footballleague.com?) has the breakdowns, draws, dates and the like, but I can't access it from work.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | October 23, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I hope DC loses in the playoffs just for making that stupid comment about the Halloween deal. And I hope you guys move to Maryland too.

Posted by: KC Fan | October 23, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, the Terps melee is just the sort of bad soccer news the Jim Romes of the world live for. Regardless of whether there are similar examples in other sports, I'm sure those that watch him and his ilk will be regaled with commentary of the "well that's soccer fo you" variety.

Posted by: Dave | October 23, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Goff: Years back --I have a copy to prove it-- we said your column and the Washington Post were pioneers in covering MLS and soccer in general, when the rest of the American media practically ignored the sport.

Your blog and your newspapers can proudly say you were right and the rest of the ignorant anti-soccer bashers were wrong.

The old Spanish adage comes to mind: "El que rie al ultimo, rie mejor.."

Cheers,

Efren Palacios
Texas Soccer Republic

Posted by: efren palacios | October 23, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Many thanks!

Posted by: Goff | October 23, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dave | October 23, 2007 04:28 PM

==========================================
Rome and his cronies, will always find an excuse to put down sports that they don't care to follow.

I think Cirovski's leadership to suspend Costanzo for an extra game (above the automatic 1 game red card suspension) is commendable.

I wonder how many other coaches would follow suit.

Posted by: JSF | October 23, 2007 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KC Fan | October 23, 2007 03:48 PM

It's not entirely possible that we will, on either point.

However, as bad as it would be, we'd still be "not in KC".

Bully on ya!

Posted by: chris | October 23, 2007 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KC Fan | October 23, 2007 03:48 PM

Wow. How old are you, 3?

Posted by: viv | October 23, 2007 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Has DC ever even scored on Chicago in the playoffs?

Posted by: jr | October 24, 2007 3:44 AM | Report abuse