More Chivas Notes and Quotes

And feel free to use this for more Ricardo Clark discussions. Here, I'll start you off:

"Major League Soccer's disciplinary committee will decide within the next couple of days if Dynamo midfielder Ricardo Clark is to be suspended more than the automatic one game for drawing a red card in Sunday's 3-0 win at FC Dallas."

Also from that HoChron story, "For a $24 donation to Dynamo Charities, fans are asked to ride a stationary bike for 24 minutes. In exchange, along with the workout, fans get a free ticket to a first-round playoff game, a 30-day gym pass and a bag of goodies." I've seen some DCU fans. I'm not sure whether they could go 24 minutes on a stationary bike, even for a bag of goodies.

Marc Fisher discusses Marion Barry and Poplar Point in Raw Fisher. Barry: "If Adrian Fenty goes ahead with this, the community won't cooperate. That's not threatening, that's promising. It would be tragic to lose that stadium just like we lost the Redskins." Marc and I have been conducting a friendly IM dialogue about whether D.C. United can rightly be said to struggle to draw crowds. Excerpts will be published here tomorrow.

New Chivas Coach Efraín Flores, from Ovaciones:

"DC United is a strong team that is going to make things difficult and surely look to counterattack. We have to play smart, attack but without giving away anything as letting up a goal will only put us in a worse situation."

My story in today's dead-tree edition.

Bonus quotes:

Emilio: "We have to think that it's zero-zero. Obviously a one-goal difference is very minimal. So we just have to go with the mentality that it's a zero-zero game and start from there."

Olsen: "We've just got to go out and fend them off and continue to play soccer. It's not going to be a game down there where we're able to defend for 90 minutes. We're gonna have to play and go out there and dictate the game."

Simms: "I think if we get a first goal that would be key, because that would really force them to come out and the game would open up."

Also, here's a long gushy profile of McTavish from the Winchester Star, led by quote machine Bobby Boswell:

"We have a joke that he's like, the perfect guy," Boswell said. "(Teammates) always give me a lot of crap about not introducing him to some of the girls in the city. I say that none of them are good enough for him."

Trying to get a PDF of that MLS player origins map. Stay tuned. The official journalist Chivas-game watch party seems likely to take place at Lucky Bar. Bring your laptops and your air cards.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 2, 2007; 10:29 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Countdown to Chivas
Next: Matchday Sudamericana [With Quotes!]

Comments

OUCH Dan! Me and my beer gut are deeply offended.

Posted by: TheBiggestLoser | October 2, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Man, could the Winchester Star have a weaker core of copy editors? And "the United" gets old real quick.

And Steinbog, should that Rawfish who's running things at the Post.

Posted by: viv | October 2, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I predict 1 to 1, go go DC United show them the quality play of a great champion.
We are with you champion !!!

Posted by: OrlandoGator | October 2, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Line-up predictions? Anybody?

Posted by: Soy United! | October 2, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I predict Burch won't play.

Posted by: RK | October 2, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I predict Facu won't play either.

Posted by: Mickey | October 2, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the work on the map, that was a cruel tease.

Posted by: guy | October 2, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Struggle to draw fans? 11 year old team draws 20,000 a game. Please.

The nats at rfk looked thike a place homeless people went to try and sleep.

Posted by: DCAustinite | October 2, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Lineup Prediction:

---------------Perkins----------------
-McTavish---Vanney---Boswell--Namoff--
----------------Simms-----------------
--Olsen---------Gomez-----------Fred--
-------------Moreno-------------------
--------------------L.Emilio----------

If Fred can't start, insert Josh Gros. Likely subs we will see would be Carroll for either Gomez or Moreno if DCU gets a lead.

I'm very scared about the Vanny-Boz Bobwell pairing in the center of defense. Those guys are not fast and Chivas is not slow. This could be a big problem.

Posted by: tmc | October 2, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Boswell should concentrate more on playing the game than giving silly comments.

Posted by: emilio | October 2, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I don't think I'd have any trouble sitting on a bike for 24 minutes. You can drink beer at the same time, right?

Posted by: Matt | October 2, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Ripping BozBobwell for giving quotes to the media or having a blog is almost as tired as USMNT fans talking about "nepotism" when Michael Bradley is in the starting lineup or wishing Giuseppe Rossi would suit up for the USMNT instead of holding out for a spot in the Azzurri.

I could do without it.

Posted by: tmc | October 2, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I could not agree more, tmc...

Posted by: RK | October 2, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Geez, Dan, is there no one who appreciates the effort and artistry behind the 12-ounce curl anymore. It takes hard work and much endurance to build those up! ;-)

Posted by: Throwin | October 2, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

The gauntlet is thrown. Appropriate a stationary bike from the Washington Post's fabulous workout facility, put it in Lucky Bar tonight in front of the big screen, and watch the DC United fans ride it all night long.

Rico needs to be done for the rest of the year ... which helps our SS chances.

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | October 2, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Clyde needs to worry about Chivas bunkering.

Judging from the screeching of the little girls on Saturday night whenever McTavish did anything I think he has clearly surpassed Boswell in any sort of eligible bachelor type contest.

Posted by: Glenn | October 2, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Ricardo Clark should be banned for the rest of this season and into next season. If not, then the MLS disciplinary committee is a joke.

One has to wonder whether or not the suspension would be harder if he were a foreign allocation player instead of a men's national team player. For example, what if it were Emilio or Juan Pablo Angel or Shalrie Joseph doing the kicking.

Posted by: Bristol | October 2, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I predict RK is correct.

Posted by: RW | October 2, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I'd have to say that the lineup is pretty set except for the left back position.

I would put Gros in a left back. I know, crazy, but i'd do it because of the speed issue.

We could then maybe have Namoff come into the middle for Boswell or Vanney.

Another reason I like Gros on the left is that we could very easily shift to a 3-5-2 if we felt it would help...though that probably won't be a good idea. But it would be nice to have someone with Gros' pace to bring a ball out of the back on a counter attack.

I predict united lose 3-2 but advance anyway.
Chivas draw first blood,
we respond within five minutes
then the game settles down until ten min after the half when DCU scores again (counter attack or set piece)
then Chivas go nuts trying to get two goals but are only able to bring one back.

how does that sound?

Posted by: bribri | October 2, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

oh, and I will be counting the number of times a Chivas player elbows a DCU player in the face.
I saw at least six high elbows last game and expect many more this time around.

Posted by: bribri | October 2, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I think I'd rather have the Boz-Van lack of pace in the middle than on the wing. If Chivas is going to concentrate on flank play tonight, we'll need McT's extra speed to stop them.

Also, I'd guess Gros will be in for Fred, at least to start. While he doesn't have half of Fred's technical skill and vision, he tracks back to support the defense better through sheer tirelessness. It'd also be good to keep at least one offensive option open off the bench, though Fred's injury will have an effect on that.

------------Perkins-----------
-------Boswell-Vanney-----
McTavish-----------Namoff
------------Simms-------------
--Gros---------------Olsen--
-------------Gomez------------
-----------Moreno--------------
--------------Emilio-------------

Carroll for Moreno in the 60th and Mediate for Olsen in the 65th if we're ahead. If we are not ahead, I'm not sure what I'd predict. Fred for Gros and Kpene for a defender? An early goal is really absolutely critical.

Posted by: DCBird | October 2, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

and of course i failed to include one chivas goal in my narrative prediction.

Posted by: bribri | October 2, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

McTavish must have iron convictions if Ben hasn't shattered his moral compass by now. Then again, the season isn't over. Hang in there, Devon!

Posted by: Joe Doc | October 2, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Did you see Devon's quote in my story today? When I asked him to talk about the speed of Chivas's forwards?

"No," he said. "I don't really want to think about it. It's ridiculous. I've been telling people, they take 10 steps before I can even think about taking one. It's ridiculous."

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | October 2, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I just hope it isn't rainy tonight...

Posted by: RK | October 2, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Rico needs to be done for the rest of the year ... which helps our SS chances.

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | October 2, 2007 11:40 AM

Would actually help our Cup chances more.

Posted by: Glenn

Agreed. Does this mean he gets control of the blog too?

Posted by: jmr | October 2, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

If Chivas can get 10 steps to 1 of Devon's, they can get at least 20 on Boswell and Vanney.

Posted by: DCBird | October 2, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

RK, tonight's forecast calls for isolated thunderstorms... probably mid-60s for game...

Posted by: Soy United! | October 2, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Is altitude a factor at Jalisco stadium? I think I remember United taking a week of training in Guadalajara last time to help adjust ahead of the game.

Posted by: David | October 2, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

According to Wikipedia, Guadalajara is at 5200 feet. This means a similar altitude to Denver. So yeah, definitely a factor.

Posted by: tmc | October 2, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

McTavish and Namoff on the outsides are more important than the slow duo of Boz and Vanney in the middle since it was obvious Chivas wanted to use their superior speed along the flanks. That's why Gros should start instead of Fred as some have already noted, he's just an insane runner and United needs that tonight.

Posted by: G-Dub | October 2, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCBird | October 2, 2007 12:10 PM

But Simms and Kpene still have 10 to 1 over Chivas.

I say old man Moreno will need a break at half (or earlier) but Kpene needs to have his break out night. We need his speed and we need him to find the back of the net...or at least cross it in to those who can.

Posted by: Southeasterner | October 2, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Without "Old Man" Moreno, United's a canoe without oars.

Posted by: CaptainObvious | October 2, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't the headline on this be More Goat Bell?

Is Union Jack's in Bethesda showing this?

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | October 2, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't the headline on this be More Goat Bell?

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield

Ha HA! That's great. Wish that had been on a sign at RFK (update: still not closed) last week!

Posted by: Rob | October 2, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

'we got the dealio, Luciano Emilio' is only barely beating Blanco for goal of the week. I'm thinking that Emilio's goal should be up for goal of the year so I'm going to spend my afternoon "productively" looking for computers to vote from

Posted by: diego r. | October 2, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Is the game on tv, internet, radio? thanks!

tickets are free for the game in mexico like the last time we played there

Posted by: john | October 2, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

DC United is saying the game is on at 9:00 on FSE and taped replay at 11:00 on FSC

Posted by: TCompton | October 2, 2007 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have a link to see what Clark did?

Posted by: Lost in BA | October 2, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

There's a link on the Countdown To Chivas thread here on the Soccer Insider.

Posted by: Chico | October 2, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

+ Marc Fisher needs to look up the definition of struggle.

+ Houston better get used to "stationary."

+ Emilio 43% - Blanco 40% for GOTW. Come on NIH people. VOTE!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 2, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Any one know of a place in Montgomery County to watch this game?

Posted by: Tim | October 2, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Woah, woah, woah Winchester Star . . . We're not THE United until St. Louis enters the league.

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 2, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Tim - it's not listed on the Harp and Fiddle (Bethesda) Web site, but you might want call them and ask if they have Fox Sports en Espnanol - DirecTV channel 616

(301) 951-0115

Posted by: Kev | October 2, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Steinberg,
If you can bring yrouself to contineu negaging in what is lieklya meaningless conversation with Fisher, you may want to point out that the National's sell tickets for $5. That is a wise investment for anyone needing some peace and quiet to take a nap, and is a non-trivial contributor to their attendance numbers.

What are teh total attendance nubmers for the Capitols and Wizards per season and how does that compare to United (including the addtional tournaments). They would seemto be pretty close wiht United outdrawign per game but having few home games.

That said, comapring all the teams though seems to be irrelevant. United should be judged on its own merits, which are plenty, independant of the success or failure of the Nationals or any other DC area team.

Comcast deems enough value that they pay to send their own crew to away games. ESPN, HDNET, FSC, Telefuture, etc... have all invested in broadcasting the league. They msut feel there are enough people out there interested to make money.

Posted by: Bill | October 2, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Bill, quick, put your fingers on a diet, dude!

Posted by: Soy United! | October 2, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Anyone catching the game in Baltimore pub?

Posted by: jesse | October 2, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Jesse -

I'm willing to go to Slainte if it will be on there.

Anyone else in Baltimore watching tonight?

Otherwise - I'll be watching DirecTV at home.

Posted by: UVA-United | October 2, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bristol | October 2, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Dan, come out to Falls Church! Bring Marc Fisher!

Posted by: Beau Dure | October 2, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Defensive minded 3-5-2 with some decent scoring threats still available.

Chivas plays a 3-5-2 so maybe if we use the same formation it can be a complete standstill or one of those weird stalemates like when a snake swallows it's tail:

----------------Perkins

-----'Nam--------Boz-------McT

-----------Sims------Carroll

Olsen----------Gomez----------Gros

---------Jaime---------Emilio

I think this gives us more speed and also keeps veterans with experience on the field. I have no preference between Vanney and Boz (whomever matches up better with their likeliest non-Bofo) but I think we need speed on the field tonight so I wouldn't start both.

If Fred's OK he can start. If he's 80 - 90% he can come on in the 2nd half.

Carroll, Simms, Olsen and Gros have all shown occasional offensive sparks recently so it would be nice to get a surprise contribution from one of them (besides the Latin trio up front). Although since Olsen scored against the Goats last week I guess they couldn't be too surprised...

I'm hungry for some goat but also a little worried about Montezuma's Revenge!

Posted by: garbaggio | October 2, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Should be a good one. The lads definitely have their work cut out for them. Chivas is very tough, but based on what I saw last week, their finiahing is a bit suspect.

By the way, did anyone see that back-heel goal by C. Ronaldo today (MU vs. Roma) that got negated by the offside? Amazing skill.

Vivan los capitalinos!!

Posted by: Mitch | October 2, 2007 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Gros at left back is a mistake. The experiment was tried early in the season before McTavish/Burch took over and IMO, it failed miserably. He's fast, but not quick. He hustle's but is an mediocre defender. He gives up the endline too easily. I'd much rather see him come off the bench.

More importantly, who's going to keep me updated? I am working until midnight.

Help a brother out . .

Posted by: delantero | October 2, 2007 6:41 PM | Report abuse

No luck at Harp and Fiddle. And no luck at Union Jack's. Any other ideas for places to watch in Montgomery County?

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | October 2, 2007 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Gros isn't really that fast, he just never seems to get winded. Because he runs all the time people jump to the conclusion that he is a speed merchant. Tireless, yes, but not especially fast. Now if you want quickness and speed, start DeRoux, but I wouldn't advise it!

Posted by: Hedbal | October 2, 2007 7:28 PM | Report abuse

While I agree with delantero that Gros will be found out at left back, I do think he'd be very useful at left midfield tonight (especially with Fred being questionable). I thought Olsen and Morales were even in the first game; if Benny can keep that matchup even again, it will go a long way to shutting Chivas down.

Also, for the record, Chivas plays a 343. It's an institutional requirement for them to have 3 strikers (which is why Chivas USA stuck with a 343 for so long in their first season; it was dictated to Rongen by their front office). Santana is in the middle, and has Bravo to his right and Medina to his left.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 2, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse