Morning Reading and Viewing

*Maryland beats Georgetown for the 27th consecutive time and extends its current unbeaten streak to seven. No brawls this time.

*Virginia Tech ties at Duke to stretch its run to 13 and remain unbeaten in the ACC.

*Greg Ryan speaks for the first time since his dismissal. Meantime, the San Jose Mercury News's bizarre obsession with Santa Clara's coach continues and the San Diego Union-Tribune takes a look at some of the potential candidates.

*Today's Washington Post offers stories on D.C. United's struggles with Chicago, girls' soccer injuries and the possible use of RFK's parking lots next year for commuting baseball fans. (Will the Nats ever truly leave our estadio??)

*Oh, Jack Warner, what now?

*Let's chat. One o'clock today. Be there.

Arsenal nets 7. Brutal opponent, but some lovely goals:

By Steve Goff  |  October 24, 2007; 9:09 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United News & Notes (aka How's Emilio?)
Next: Not-So-Sweet Seventeen

Comments

Bonus Quote:

"The pitch set me up"
--Kickback Jack Warner

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 24, 2007 9:41 AM | Report abuse

The Nationals have GOT to be pushing their luck by now. Are they really trying to extort free parking and shuttles out of the District by threatening traffic jams?

Posted by: Don K | October 24, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

The baseball parking at RFK idea is crummy. It may negatively impact soccer matches at RFK by making parking scarcer on days when both soccer and baseball games are held.

If I were a baseball fan, I would hate to have to park at RFK and then trudge to a shuttle bus stop, wait for the bus, get bused to the baseball stadium, and then repeat the whole process in reverse (with a longer wait for the shuttle bus) after the game. Blech.

Posted by: Ron | October 24, 2007 9:48 AM | Report abuse

"One-nil to the arsenal!!!!" (Times seven)

Posted by: DCAustinite | October 24, 2007 9:49 AM | Report abuse

There is an easy solution for baseball fans: Take Metro!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

The Nats are like herpes to DC United.

Posted by: Chico | October 24, 2007 9:59 AM | Report abuse

What is bizarre about a local writer pushing a local coach for the job? Smith is widely acknowledged to be a viable candidate now as he was when Ryan was hired. Very successful college coach (more successful than Ryan), experience in the international womens game (as much or more than Ryan had when he was hired), possession-oriented, technical. Many Broncos are in the national player pool, Leslie Osborne is one of the brightest new talents on the team, own goal nothwithstanding. Aly Wagner is felt by many posters on this blog to be the best technical midfielder on the WWC roster. Dalmy. Whether you love Chastain or not, Smith would be a perfectly defensible guy for the job, for all the reasons in the article. Do you have something against the guy?

Posted by: WNT fan | October 24, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

The Arsenal goals are fabulous, and Sparta Prague appears to have quit about 5 minutes in.

I for one was genuinely worried when TH14 left, but so far it looks like Arsene is the real star in North London. That kind of a display while Barca was being held scoreless on the same island is all the sweeter.

The video quality is great too. I love HDTV, even on YouTube.

Posted by: MarkM | October 24, 2007 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I have no problem with Jerry Smith; he's a legitimate candiate for the U.S. job. I do have a problem with a major Bay Area newspaper essentially endorsing a local college coach because, in part, the columnist is clearly tight with the coach's wife.

Posted by: Goff | October 24, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Oh Lord! Just unfair.

Posted by: Bart | October 24, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Great article on the girls team and their injuries.

I wonder what we're asking teens to do to their bodies for "meaningless" HS and club games. It's a shame and it's not how we develop players that are going to take the US higher in the soccer world.

Posted by: Sean | October 24, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I must say that Ryan sounds pretty graceful in that article. Good for him.

Posted by: Matte | October 24, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Terry Foley for USWNT coach!

Posted by: Wink Wink | October 24, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

The HS games are not meaningless to the girls involved. They aren't playing "to take the US higher in the soccer world." they're playing to win a state HS championship. For themselves. That's not a shame, that's a beautiful thing, really. Open up the link and look at the photo gallery.

The ACL thing with girls is a huge problem and there is a correspondingly huge effort in girls soccer (and basketball) to study it and figure out how to do as much as possible to prevent it. This article should help. Maybe "periodization" (mandatopry rest periods during the year) will help -- but if it does it will not be for the greater glory of US soccer, it will be because it is shown to prevent injiury, and keeps girls healthy when it matters, in MEANINGFUL state play-off games.

Posted by: girls booster | October 24, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Whew! Goff gets snarky!

Just kidding. Keep calling 'em as you see 'em Goff.

Posted by: viv | October 24, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Seriously? No one could come up with a better name than "periodization"?

How about taking a part of each month off? We could call it...you get the point...

Posted by: Logan Circle | October 24, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Excerpt from MLSnet.com's preview of the D.C. United-Chicago playoff series:

"We're the underdog, which I think is awesome," Pickens said to the Tribune. "But we haven't lost in eight games. And we should have won the last two times we played [United]. I think they fear us."

Do we? I think the Fire are reading this blog...

Posted by: Soy United! | October 24, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

girls booster,

I understand it means a good deal to the girls involved, which is why I quoted "meaningless." But I think this is true of most HS sports.

Winning a championship for high school might mean a lot, but when you start seeing the impact it has on their bodies, is it worth the cost? Should we care that much about HS sports?

Posted by: Sean | October 24, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Arsenal look deadly these days. Does Hleb resemble Willam DeFoe?

Posted by: Kevin | October 24, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Or, to put my point somewhat differently, if rest works to keep girls healthy, it'll keeps girls healthy when it matters...

The rest of their lives.

Posted by: Sean | October 24, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Santa Clara? Are Perminder Nagra and Keira Knightley still playing for them? Or did they graduate already?

Posted by: Kev | October 24, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

So far Arsenal looks promissing. Let's see if they can pass beyond Liverpool this Sunday on FSC, the biggest weekend game, and Man United following weekend, EVEN BIGGER. They could claim the premiership title if these two passes, spcecially Man U is getting into their form.

Mean while, I really believe DC United can crush Fire tomorrow night. Blanco would be frustrated and will show his emotions like claping his head when his nice pass wasn't able to convert into the net last game against LA. Supposedly, that would've been the easiest thing to put into the net. What a horrible!

Posted by: d | October 24, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

It's kind of amazing it has taken this long for some one to start pointing fingers at Jack Warner. I think everyone in CONCACAF has known about his corruption for a very long time. I suppose now that the Brits are on the case it gets FIFA a little worried. I can't figure why Herr Blatter doesn't engineer his ouster, unless he's got the goods on Sepp's own malfeasance.

Posted by: Glenn | October 24, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

"One-nil to the arsenal!!!!" (Times seven)

Posted by: DCAustinite | October 24, 2007 09:49 AM

"7-nil, and you still don't sing..." :-)

Posted by: Kev | October 24, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

"Should we care that much about HS sports?"

Who cares that much? If people cared that much, they'd come out and watch, and the Whitman girls wouldn't be practicing on crap ES fields, and the schools would have trainers.

Who cares that much? The girls care. Is it worth the cost? Everyone would say let's reduce the cost in terms of ACLs, concussions, but basically it's the girls' decision. And who's to tell them they shouldn't care that much, or continue to play? Not me. I applaud them and hold them up as examples when other farts as old as I am start in about "kids these days." God bless 'em.

Posted by: Girls booster | October 24, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

sports periodization, wisenheimer

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Glenn | October 24, 2007 11:39AM

Umm, the "Brits" have been on Warner's case for a long, long time. I would suspect that CONCACAF, Blatter and the rest of the FIFA axis of evil are more responsible for allowing that fool to continue. It's not like the 4 Football Associations of Great Britain have the best of relationships with FIFA.

This book was written (by my former grad school profs) in England nearly ten years ago. Doesn't give the kindest of profiles for Warner and Rothenberg...

Posted by: Kev | October 24, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Goff, The San Jose soccer community has always been very closely knit, so the ringing endorsement from the Merc doesn't suprise me. Santa Clara (both men and women) has been at the center of that community for a long time, especially since they were big on recruiting the local talent. There were a lot of good players of that generation that grew up within 2 or 3 miles of each other that really kept the soccer community going in the dark years. Everyone knew Brandi and her brother Chad, the Bravo boys, Keri Sanchez, etc. Brandi has been queen of that town since her days at Mitty back in the 80's. You can't live in SJ and like soccer without having crossed paths with Brandi. She's been around FOREVER and has come back from more knee surgeries than humanly possible. If he reported on soccer in that city and didn't know Brandi, I'd be even more worried.

Once you get outside San Jose, the truth is that their marriage actually hurts his candidacy more than it helps it. It's a shame, because he really is a decent candidate.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | October 24, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Ref Jack Warner..Since we are part of Concacaf, we know better than anyone that Jack is no saint! He is a pretty shady character to say the least.
However, I am curious about the timing of these revelations though...Why now, when it could have been done a lomg time ago?
Is it Payback for something else?

Posted by: Charles | October 24, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

unless he's got the goods on Sepp's own malfeasance.

Posted by: Glenn | October 24, 2007 11:39 AM

It's really looking that way.

Essentially, it seems Kickback Jack provided votes to Sepp in return for sweet deals to fill his own bank accounts. But KJ has got to be something of an albatross for Sepp now, and I'd think he would have cut those ties...unless there is something KJ's got in his back pocket to keep Sepp on board.

Overall, a horrible situation for FIFA, for CONCACAF, and for USSF - each of which continue to have to deal at every turn with this man who is apparently nothing more than an embezzling crook.

Posted by: Rob | October 24, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

he = she

Posted by: leesburgSoccerFan | October 24, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

-------

Agreed.

Thanks for the Bay Area insight.

Posted by: Goff | October 24, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Have to see if Soehn can coach em up.

The bench has been atrocious as far as attack. Gros is missed in the MF, big time.

What I would do? Stick Burch in left mid, move Fred to striker, and put Boswell in left D. Offense, offense, offense.

But I'm still trying to figure out why on earth Moreno (or anyone on the starting front line) played Saturday.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | October 24, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

he = she
Posted by: leesburgSoccerFan

Are you sure that you aren't at the Drag Races?

Posted by: RK | October 24, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Was at the Arsenal game last night and they looked great. They have a beautiful stadium and some very enthusiastic fans. (Not as wild as the DCU fan clubs though)

Posted by: John | October 24, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

The issue with HS and Club soccer and the pressures generated to play, play, play is linked with the "dream" of a D1 scholarship. Lets face it, this is driver especially for the higher performers who have be "seen" at the tournaments by coaches and then recruited. Its a systemic problem and parents play right into it. Granted, alot of kids do love the sport - and perhaps want to continue to play in college even if they are not on scholarship. The Whitman scenario is being played out over and over again in affluent communities all over the country which are the cradle for girls competitive soccer.

Posted by: sbg | October 24, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Spike 2.0, you must be joking. Boswell as a wingback? He has to be one of the three slowest defenders in MLS, no chance of seeing him on the outside IMO.

Posted by: Natty | October 24, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

It is interesting that the San Diego paper's analysis of the WNT coaching candidates doesn't mention anyone named Gabarra. Also, I think that Zeigler may be underestimating the role of personal issues in DiCicco's case. As I recall, in '99 he was so sick of the separation from his family that he was on a plane to Connecticut before Chastain put her shirt back on. Finally, the idea of a "quick fix through the 2008 Olympics" can't be very appealing to the parties involved. Who in their right mind would want to go through this contentious process again in another year? I own a rental property, and I have fond memories of those tenants who stayed around for three or four years.

Posted by: Section 410 | October 24, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

It was Slavia, not Sparta (Arsenal beat them earlier in the qualifying rounds). Watching the Gunners when they're clicking is surreal.

Posted by: Chaz | October 24, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: John | October 24, 2007 12:41 PM

I was there 3 weeks ago when they played Sunderland. The Stadium is beautiful, but they could use some help from the BB & SE.
They are not as vocal as I thought! They are playing spectacular football though!

Posted by: Charles | October 24, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Charles | October 24, 2007 01:06 PM

Arsenal fans have never really been known for that. I used to go to Highbury a bit when I lived in London and found out why they called in the "Highbury Library". I've heard that the Emirates is even quieter. Great team and club though.

Posted by: Kev | October 24, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Warner is crooked. The timing leads to me as a power play to undermine CONCACAF as a legit contender for 2018.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Mafia was behind the Kennedy car crash, too.

Posted by: conspiracy nut | October 24, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Arsenal fans don't sing, we write. Just ask Nick Hornby. Manyoo fans sing because they are all illiterate.

Just joking. They don't sing either.

Posted by: DCAustinite | October 24, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

If you want quiet, go to Camp Nou...

Posted by: RK | October 24, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

So, Nike bought Umbro.

Maybe they have a get-out clause so they can switch to some other brand.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | October 24, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

If you want quiet, go to Camp Nou...

Posted by: RK | October 24, 2007 02:02 PM
------------------
Arrowhead is closer and you don't need a passport.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 24, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"Any word on whether we'll see the Swoosh on the England National Team, or are they going to keep the brand?"

**********

Article I read said they were going to run Umbro as an independent subsidiary, and that they had had talks with the FA to let them know that everything was going to stay the same.

I think this is what I read: http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=AueglRo5rnp15EorRy5oj6gmw7YF?slug=ap-nike-umbro&prov=ap&type=lgns

Posted by: Soy United! | October 24, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Soy United!

I just read that parking article in my wet tree edition of the paper. Are they freaking kidding? FREE parking at RFK? I guess that means our parking goes up to $15 per game. And how exactly will that work on nites/weekends we are both in town? No tailgating in Lot 8 because that's reserved for "Nationals" "Fans"? Or will Untied be subject to the vagrities of the MLB schedule again? Seems to me the major tenant at RFK the last 12 years might have a problem with the parking solution.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | October 24, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

It wasn't a great game for the Hokies, but they created several opportunities even in the over time periods. They just didn't finish. Crouch had a real hard time of it last night. Duke played better than I have seen them play in some matches this season. The thing that worries me the most is Nyarko's injury. A tackle with studs up went right through his ankle and he had to leave the game. The soccer parent crowd was disappointing and immature. The ref missed a few, but did well considering the abuse he took from the adults.

Posted by: sitruc | October 24, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Article I read said they were going to run Umbro as an independent subsidiary

Posted by: Soy United! | October 24, 2007 02:44 PM

Nike have done the same thing with Converse - and it's been a huge success. I don't expect anything to change with Umbro - except the cash will be going to Oregon.

Posted by: Kev | October 24, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Before you all start freaking out on the parking situation at RFK, let me just state that Will Chang told us many improvements will be made in Lot 8 for United fans.

Posted by: Chico | October 24, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Goff, I asked a few times yesterday, but received no answer... How is Kevin Payne doing?

Posted by: Soy United! | October 24, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

this blog has borderline personality disorder today.

my head is spinning with it's randomness and multiple topics.

Posted by: d | October 24, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

April Heinrichs and China are mentioned in the same breath:

Posted by: Section 410 | October 24, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Payne is fine. If there is news, I will be sure to report it here.

Posted by: Goff | October 24, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Burch is the man, but I don't like him in the midfield. Outside midfield is one position where we're deep. Outside defense is one position where we're not.

Posted by: Shatz / DCUMD | October 24, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Freddy plays 30 in Benfica 1-0 win over Celtic.

Posted by: Reign | October 24, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

If they end up not having to pay to park on game days why do we? Please, explain what the parking money is used for exactly. What does the commission do with the money and why doesn't DCU get half?

Posted by: glen burnie | October 24, 2007 8:31 PM | Report abuse

You mean Blatter, I presume?

Corruption in FIFA? I'm shocked, shocked! Corruption in FIFA is as rare as...well, as rare as...wildfires in Southern California!

Posted by: Joseph D'Hippolito | October 24, 2007 8:44 PM | Report abuse