Playoff Matchday 1: DCU at Chicago [updated]

***LINEUP ALERT: No Emilio, no Moreno. Kpene up top, Gomez advanced a bit, Carroll and Simms clog the middle. Full lineups at the bottom of this thread.....

Greetings from gusty Toyota Park, where the temperature is going to drop significantly once the sun dips below the west-side stands. For those watching at home tonight, the team going left to right on your TV screen in each half should have an advantageous wind at their back. The playing surface is in immaculate condition and should allow for some quality ball work.

***FYI, the match will not kick off until around 9 p.m. Eastern, not 8:30. Blame ESPN2, which has a big pregame show planned.

My first impression upon my first-ever visit to this stadium: thumbs up. It's not IN Chicago, mind you, and there is not a lot around it, but the sightlines are superb and the facility itself is first class. Well done, AEG.

I do apologize for the rumor tease. If I had known it would cause such panic -- yes, you're right, I should've known better -- I would have waited a little longer. Anyway, here goes:

Two independent sources tell me that both Christian Gomez and Jaime Moreno are being pursued by a club in Qatar and that they very well could leave MLS after this season. We've known for quite some time that Gomez could depart this winter -- his contract is up and no new talks will take place until the season ends -- but the Moreno angle is a bit surprising.

Why Qatar? Ask Romario, Batistuta, Desailly and Caniggia. The answer: $$$$$. Many veteran players have headed to the tiny Middle East nation the last 10 years. Moreno and Gomez are entering the late stage of their playing careers and one final fat contract would go a long way in their post-futbol lives.

I will caution you -- and this is the reason I have tried to handle the subject carefully -- I've not heard the RUMOR from anyone other than these two sources. Some of my other very reliable contacts have not heard a thing. The truth might be that the players have been approached by the Qatari club(s) but are not interested. It could be that the Gomez link has some veracity and the Moreno one does not. It could be that there is no truth to it whatsoever. I'm just sharing what I know at the moment. When I learn more -- maybe later tonight? -- you will be the first to know.

As for the match tonight.....

YOUR STARTERS.....
DCU (4-4-1-1): Perkins; Namoff, McTavish, Vanney, Burch; Olsen, Carroll, Simms, Fred; Gomez; Kpene.
CHI (3-5-2): Pickens; Robinson, Brown, Segares; Pause, Armas, Conde, Gutierrez, Blanco; Barrett, Rolfe.

As usual, this is the place for pregame, in-game and postgame thoughts. Join the fun, eh?

By Steve Goff  |  October 25, 2007; 5:41 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USSF Coaching Done Deal(s)
Next: DCU-CHI Aftermath

Comments

bah! can't they just take Denilson instead?

Posted by: jeremy | October 25, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

what is Moreno's contractual status with United? I was expecting we could lose Gomez---but thought we'd at least have 60-minute or supersub Moreno next year.

Posted by: chuckles | October 25, 2007 6:12 PM | Report abuse

hmph, well hopefully trying to increase the size of their big payday would make them play just a little bit harder tonight and through the rest of the season.

Posted by: pat | October 25, 2007 6:13 PM | Report abuse

That's nothin'. How many times did we hear that Marco was going to go to some Gulf country to play?

Posted by: Kim | October 25, 2007 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Yes, good point. Marco was on the verge of leaving 50 times and did not go. So take it for what it is.

Posted by: Goff | October 25, 2007 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Qatar? That would suck...those two guys are important to DCU.

Any update on Emilio's status for tonight's game? Jaime?

Posted by: Smitty | October 25, 2007 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Toyota Park is a nice facility. Shame it's surrounded by freeways and concrete pastures. it really is pretty desolate.

Still, as you say, the field is very nice, and the facilities are top-notch. My only beef is with the quality of the lighting. You see pools of light and harsh shadows from players all over the field. It's pretty bad.

Posted by: MattM | October 25, 2007 6:23 PM | Report abuse

More importantly, how on earth is this your first-ever visit to the Little TP? Wait, duh, two World Cups got in the way I suppose...

It's not a bad stadium. Not great, but not bad. Great would mean more roof coverage and no concert stage, but AEG's gotta pay the bills, so I understand...

Posted by: EdTheRed | October 25, 2007 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Where are folks watching the game?

I know, I know, SE has all the viewing locations, I'm just curious as to whether one place will be more filled with DCU fans than another...

Posted by: Juan-John | October 25, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Yes, my first visit. Always had some sort of scheduling conflict.

Posted by: Goff | October 25, 2007 6:29 PM | Report abuse

From the players perspective, if they can get a significant contract and they want to move their families to the middle east and their minds were made up, I'd wouldn't want to prevent Jaime (who's been a key member for DCU since 96 - excluding that brief stint in the land of the unwashed) from pursuing a terrific opportunity.

Christian is out of contract and so that even more reason, if he wants to go. Good luck.

Now, the challenge is finding good replacements for the Salary cap available.

Posted by: JSF | October 25, 2007 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Yes, this story is important, but I have got to say that this is becoming the premiere american soccer website on the internet. Period.

Everytime I think that you've peaked, the site gets better. Amazing story.

Thank you.

Posted by: Goff's Dad | October 25, 2007 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Qatar... hmmm... aren't Zidane, Pele, Maradona, Best et al playing there? Seems like every veteran looking for a bigger contract from their club in the twilight of their careers has been linked to playing in the Middle East. Certainly hope that's all this is...

Goff, thanks for the heads-up on the starting time... need to reset the ending time on the DVR.

Posted by: Soy United! | October 25, 2007 6:35 PM | Report abuse

"Blame ESPN2, which has a big pregame show planned."
-----------

ESPN is doing a pregame show? For a prime-time SOCCER match?!? Be still my heart...

Posted by: Juan-John | October 25, 2007 6:39 PM | Report abuse

They don't have to take their families... Jaime's could probably stay here (I think..), and Christian's could go back to Argentina. A year or two in Qatar would make a lot more than Christian would make in MLS. or in Argentina. It has to be tempting.

Posted by: Qatar | October 25, 2007 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Stop with the rumors, there is a game tonight and a cup to be won, we have all off season to deal with this, bring on the playoffs.

Posted by: Omar | October 25, 2007 6:43 PM | Report abuse

B.S., JSF.

DCU cancelled (or postponed) this year's meet the team day so I still don't have my picture with Christian autographed. He can't go anywhere until I get that!!

Posted by: Smitty | October 25, 2007 6:44 PM | Report abuse

just kidding....

Posted by: Smitty | October 25, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | October 25, 2007 06:39 PM
_________________________________________

This is not necessarily good news. They've done this before, and it's usually been so much fluff and filler. All it means is that we will get to bed that much later.

Posted by: Section 410 | October 25, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Qatar, eh? More competition for MLS in signing aging stars for a victory lap. First it was the J League, now the Persian Gulf League, or whatever it's called. How are we going to get the next Angel or Beckham or Blanco here if Qatar is going to dangle petrobucks in their faces?

Posted by: Hedbal | October 25, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse

My guess is that their families (especially their wives and daughters) would much rather come to the United States than go to the Persian Gulf. Just sayin'.

Posted by: Soy United! | October 25, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

How much more do they pay over there?

Posted by: Luis | October 25, 2007 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bill | October 25, 2007 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Posh ain't going to no Qatar, my fren

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

I haven't been following futbol long enough to know anything about Veron (except that some love him, and some say he is too old). Would he be a worthy replacement for Gomez, if DCU can get him?

Posted by: Papa | October 25, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

If this rumor is confirmed, we can also expect that La Brujita Veton will definitely play for DCU next year.
W/out Gomez, that would make even more sense.

As for Javier, it would be sad to see him leave, but let's be honest, he has lost a step if not two and if he can cash out one more year in Quatar, more power to him!
I would not be surprised to see him back with DCU in the future in a different capacity.

Posted by: Charlie | October 25, 2007 6:53 PM | Report abuse

No Kpene on the subs roster?

Posted by: Papa | October 25, 2007 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Posh ain't going to no Qatar, my fren

Exactly. We need not worry about too many big stars going over there--they've already made their bundle. Beckham is somewhat believable in his statements about growing soccer in the US for that reason. He just doesn't need it.

What we need to worry about is the more mid level stars. Jaime and Gomez aren't on Qatar's short list because of their name draw--it;s because they were (and remain) very good.

Posted by: viv | October 25, 2007 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Those lineups are from a different game. North is certainly not here. Neither is Moose.

Posted by: Goff | October 25, 2007 6:56 PM | Report abuse

touche

Posted by: Papa | October 25, 2007 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Who's the broadcast team tonight?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 6:57 PM | Report abuse

If the lineups are true, I'm a bit nervous. A Boswell/McTavish pairing is not as solid as a Vanney/McTavish or Vanney/Boswell pairing. Let's see how they keep their shape and keep track of Barrett and Rolfe.

Posted by: griffin1108 | October 25, 2007 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Soy United! | October 25, 2007 06:48 PM
__________________________________________

From the Wikipedia entry for Qatar:

"When contrasted with other Arab states such as Saudi Arabia, for instance, Qatar has comparatively liberal laws, but is still not as liberal as some of its neighbors like [the United Arab Emirates] or Bahrain. Women can drive in Qatar, whereas they may not legally drive in Saudi Arabia.

"Qatar became the first country in the Persian Gulf where women gained the right to vote. Also, women can dress mostly as they please in public....The laws of Qatar tolerate alcohol to a certain extent. However, public bars and nightclubs in Qatar operate only in expensive hotels and clubs, much like in the emirates and Bahrain, though the number of establishments has yet to equal that of UAE."

Posted by: Section 410 | October 25, 2007 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Those lineups can't be correct...

Once again..MLSnet.com gives us a half ass effort.

They can't even update league standings on time.

Posted by: Matt Y | October 25, 2007 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Duh! Look who's president of the L.A. Galaxy... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21474978/

Posted by: Soy United! | October 25, 2007 7:07 PM | Report abuse

MLSnet's lineup is definitely wrong, considering several players listed on the bench didn't even travel (Arguez and North). It also has Chicago dropping Robinson and Wanchope entirely (granted, I think Chicago would do well for themselves to drop Wanchope, who has appeared to be as disinterested as any MLS player in recent memory).

From what SG and MLSnet normally do, it will be an hour before kickoff before the actual lineups are posted.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 25, 2007 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Thomas Jefferson was a redhead, too. In any event, the article says that only 1 percent of Neanderthals were redheads, much lower than most modern European populations. If someone is trying to link Neanderthalness with redheadedness, this article does just the opposite.

Posted by: Section 410 | October 25, 2007 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Good thing they curtail alcohol, it would otherwise be a lively tailgate among the Landcruisers and AK-47s

wikipedia also says the population of citizens is 200,000 and the other 800,000 in the country are "guest workers" --
wonder what the avg attendance is at a Q-league game

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Section 410: It was a joke, FFS! Geez, I'm outta here 'til game time!

Posted by: Soy United! | October 25, 2007 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Goff,
Thanks for bringing us the up to date news and the information. I feel like I am there now.

Posted by: td | October 25, 2007 7:21 PM | Report abuse

does that count as one of the two rumors, or two rumors?

Posted by: pat | October 25, 2007 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Ha Ha Ha....excellent post, soy united!

Muy bien!

Posted by: Smitty | October 25, 2007 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Ok this is kinda depressing. It's an hour to the start of the MLS playoffs and MLS can't even get the team line ups right? That just shows a terrible lack of organization.

Posted by: Bart | October 25, 2007 7:49 PM | Report abuse

no simms either. starter or bench. those lineups are crap.

Posted by: steve-o | October 25, 2007 7:57 PM | Report abuse

So is this game on espn? They only list the pre-game part. Or they only expect it to last 1 hour.

Thanks for the updates today. Hopefully these last 2 are just rumors.

Posted by: m | October 25, 2007 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Man, Kpene better step up and show something tonight.

Goff, is Emilio and Moreno able to come in as subs? It made it sound in your reports that Moreno would be fine, but how about Emilio? Or do you still doubt we see him at all.

Posted by: Kenny | October 25, 2007 8:02 PM | Report abuse

DirecTV shows the game on ESPN2 from 8:30 until 11:00.

Posted by: Smitty | October 25, 2007 8:03 PM | Report abuse

QATARI UNITED!!

Posted by: d | October 25, 2007 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Well...Let's hope Olsen, Simms, and Carroll do their job tonight. It's going to be a long night if Gomez and Kpene can't get anything going and we can't slow down Blanco.

Posted by: strago | October 25, 2007 8:07 PM | Report abuse

LETS GO KPENE! TONIGHT IS YOUR NIGHT!

Posted by: Atlanta | October 25, 2007 8:10 PM | Report abuse

anyone have a link for an online stream tonight? please help me.

Posted by: tv less | October 25, 2007 8:13 PM | Report abuse

I can understand starting McTavish, because he's got more athleticism than Boswell/Vanney, but I don't know if I agree with starting Vanney over Boswell.

Posted by: noptov52 | October 25, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Tony Limarzi's got online audio at wmet1160.com. MLSNet.tv has stuff but you need to pay for that.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

This looks like the updated Matchtracker with correct lineups and benches: Emilio and Moreno on bench.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 8:16 PM | Report abuse

i believe all playoff games are free at mlsnet.com

Posted by: atlanta | October 25, 2007 8:17 PM | Report abuse

i believe all playoff games are free at mlsnet.com
----------------------------

they aren't broadcasting the DC game at all. And I even payed for the MLSlive.tv subscription for this season (pretty frustrating- they need to fix that).

Posted by: tv less | October 25, 2007 8:20 PM | Report abuse

No, MLSlive is available at a discount for the playoffs.

Posted by: RK | October 25, 2007 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Vamos United!

Posted by: B.A. | October 25, 2007 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Just got home. You gotta be kidding me Goff! Please tell me your kidding.

Posted by: DB | October 25, 2007 8:25 PM | Report abuse

depending on how things go (clearly this is the away leg and we dont have 2 key players so we might be a bit defensive minded) but effectivley i see this line up as a 4-3-3 with fred and gomez doing little tracking back and simms, carroll and olsen handling the middle.

Posted by: jay | October 25, 2007 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I know that one of the biggest supporters is on assignment in Indonesia but is following this message board. Keep yo head down Big Rob!!!

Posted by: DB | October 25, 2007 8:28 PM | Report abuse

well, i guess it's another night for ben olsen to lead the offense.

Posted by: dco | October 25, 2007 8:29 PM | Report abuse

So somehow I ended up in Bogota today (long story). Any clues where I can see the game? I thinking about just going to the hard rock cafe and just hoping for the best. Vamos United.

Posted by: Albert | October 25, 2007 8:30 PM | Report abuse

depending on how things go....................

Is that u Jay?!

Posted by: DB | October 25, 2007 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Saying Qatar is relatively more liberal than Saudi Arabia isn't saying much. Even a sizable amount of Arabs don't like living in Saudi Arabia, especially the women. I've been to some "liberal" arab-middle eastern countries where women aren't even required to cover their heads and I would just say Moreno and Gomez wouldn't be going there because its fun for families and women.

Posted by: meekha | October 25, 2007 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: noptov52 | October 25, 2007 08:14 PM
-------------------------------------
I know. Boz is our only aerial presence.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 8:34 PM | Report abuse

I bet Qatar would build United an over the top plush new stadium!!!!!

Posted by: Piney O | October 25, 2007 8:35 PM | Report abuse

well, time for Fred and Gomez to step up, and for Guy-Roland to break his duck.
vamos United, score early and often
and end this Fire hex on us.

Posted by: rfk 315 | October 25, 2007 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Someone tell Rob Stone his name isn't "Lushiano"

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 25, 2007 8:38 PM | Report abuse

How much do you dislike Pickens? I would like to throat punch him.

Posted by: Mountaineer Pride | October 25, 2007 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Rob Stone should go back to doing the bowling commentary that he did this week.

How is it possible to still not know how to pronounce blanco's name, he should be fired, soccer announcers for espn are not professional, how can espn boost its ratings by telling every single mexican that they don't care

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 8:40 PM | Report abuse

I am not a eurosnob but MLS game would be about 10X better if Englishmen did the games. I think American soccer fans would take them a lot more seriously. I mean Julie Foudy and Rob Stone? Christ.Could they be any whitter? Even I have a hard time taking it seriously.

Posted by: Mountaineer Pride | October 25, 2007 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mountaineer Pride | October 25, 2007 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff, I'm listening to you on WMET1160 right now, get back to your keyboard!

Posted by: Tom in Gaithersburg | October 25, 2007 8:45 PM | Report abuse

oh boy. Both Lushiano and Moreno are out? Wow. Hopefully we can get a tie here and win at home.

Posted by: Bart | October 25, 2007 8:51 PM | Report abuse

why are they wearing those busted sweatshirts instead of the usual training tops?

Posted by: pat | October 25, 2007 8:52 PM | Report abuse

it's cold

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 25, 2007 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Kpene and Carroll both on a start?

How far have we fallen?

Posted by: spike_2.0 | October 25, 2007 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Mr Goff... Long time reader, first post. For those of us north of the border, we need a push for the MLSLive package, we can't legally get ESPN or the Deuce, we need to have these games on the MLS package. I understand why they wouldn't for the US but they could somehow allow it for Canadian residents if they want to grow the exposure of the league.

Posted by: DrunkenGoon | October 25, 2007 8:54 PM | Report abuse

@Pat: are you on the west coast? Or some sunny part of the world? It's been raining on the east coast all day today.

Posted by: Bart | October 25, 2007 8:54 PM | Report abuse

I think this is the game where Gomez reminds everyone why he was last season's MVP and Fred is going to find a way to break the Fire hoodoo.

Posted by: G-Dub | October 25, 2007 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Wow, those Dick's commercials are the pits. "..game has been played in the dark..." my fanny.

Posted by: JkR | October 25, 2007 8:58 PM | Report abuse

That's Foudy's pre-game pep talk? "We've never won. We've never scored. It's gotta change"? Wow.

Posted by: Bart | October 25, 2007 8:59 PM | Report abuse

"Soctober." Somebody shoot Rob Stone.

Posted by: Luis | October 25, 2007 9:00 PM | Report abuse

ESPN JUST TOOK 30 MINUTES OF MY LIFE!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 9:00 PM | Report abuse

yea thats me, jay, and one more thing im glad boswell is on the bench, he can have fun updating his website if the chicago stadium has wireless

Posted by: jay | October 25, 2007 9:00 PM | Report abuse

soctober? when did jack edwards start feeding rob stone 1-linere?

Posted by: dco | October 25, 2007 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Glenn Davis? What the...?

Actually, what a pleasant surprise

Posted by: JkR | October 25, 2007 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Did Stone just say it's Socc-tober? Isn't that punishable by death? Oy.

Posted by: Under the Desk | October 25, 2007 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Look, I'm a soccer fan, right. I'm watching ESPN tonight and not the World Series because I have a dog in the fight. But Socctober? Really? That's the BEST they could do? Cut with all the baseball references. Most baseball fans aren't watching tonight, and I can't imagine hardcore soccer fans are thrilled with it either.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Soctober ?
GMAFB.

Posted by: rfk 315 | October 25, 2007 9:01 PM | Report abuse

wynalda said "i'll tell you one thing...."
does that mean he will shut up for the 90.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Eric Wynalda. Troy Perkins is such an ass for rushing out and getting beat. Because he didn't build his record on rushing out and shutting down shots or anything...

Posted by: Sean | October 25, 2007 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Sopcast channel 31936 "American Soccer"

Posted by: MemRook | October 25, 2007 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Please tell me that idiot got a card for showing off the ref?

Posted by: Bart | October 25, 2007 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Just somebody remind me why in hell Soehn played Moreno last Saturday. And Emilio. I mean, what is this dude's concept? Why not give the subs some work instead of risking your A-team?

Hope for a draw. Kpene hasn't done anything all year, and he is up top. That's crap coaching.

I hope to be proven wrong.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | October 25, 2007 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Winalda needs to shut the F up!

Posted by: DB | October 25, 2007 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey ESPN. Keep zooming in on a random player's face during the run of play. Who needs to see if that last through ball found the forward's feet? That corner kick, less important than that fan's sign. You suck.

Posted by: DC in philly | October 25, 2007 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Darn it.

Just the start we feared...

Posted by: Sean | October 25, 2007 9:17 PM | Report abuse

In order to tolerate this broadcast, I suggest taking the advice of John Belushi in Animal House"....start drinking heavily."

Posted by: tim | October 25, 2007 9:17 PM | Report abuse

WTF Burch, he completely stopped on the play.

Posted by: Luis | October 25, 2007 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Blast and such.

Posted by: Under the Desk | October 25, 2007 9:18 PM | Report abuse

wynalda just noticed the wind....hahahaha

Posted by: quakes fan | October 25, 2007 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Chris Rolfe = Mark Arm

Posted by: EssEff | October 25, 2007 9:20 PM | Report abuse

By my count that's five shots in the past two minutes away from the live play. ESPN is retarded.

Posted by: G-Dub | October 25, 2007 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Blame it on the wind. Or the moon. Or Rio. Arrgh. What is it with the fn Fire!

Posted by: SMACK | October 25, 2007 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Not gonna be a good day

Posted by: Bart | October 25, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Why is it necessary to change camera angles every 4 seconds?

Posted by: meekha | October 25, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Mother Flower!!!!!!

Posted by: DB | October 25, 2007 9:24 PM | Report abuse

If they do go, tell them that there is a 24 hour Dairy Queen in the parking lot of the Ramada Hotel in Doha. Good stuff.

Posted by: Steve | October 25, 2007 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Tuned in 5 mins into the match. Who is the play-by-play guy? So far, I like him much better than the baseball guy who never shuts up. Sounds like Tony DeCicco (or Tony Kornheiser)...

Posted by: DC Gooner | October 25, 2007 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Piss on the Fire!!!!

Posted by: DB | October 25, 2007 9:25 PM | Report abuse

NHL?

Posted by: meekha | October 25, 2007 9:26 PM | Report abuse

anybody is better than Rob Stone...

Posted by: quakes fan | October 25, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

How many times is Blanco going to get away with diving? If he keeps it up, half of DC is going to be playing with a yellow card. Geez!

Posted by: DCUfrvr | October 25, 2007 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Kpene is in dire need of some help. He can't possess the ball, so he just knocks it back. Not what you want out of your only forward.

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 25, 2007 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Better possession there by DC but of course Carroll loses it.

Posted by: Luis | October 25, 2007 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Woah, I've never seen that referree-drop-the-ball-in-play tihng before.

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 25, 2007 9:34 PM | Report abuse

what a terrible counter...come on United!

Posted by: quakes fan | October 25, 2007 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Gomito should have done better on the ball to Olson in the box...

Posted by: JkR | October 25, 2007 9:35 PM | Report abuse

It's a drop ball, UVA to RFK, but I have no idea why. We were at 30 at 30 when it happened.

Posted by: Sean | October 25, 2007 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Chicago goes to the ground awfully easy.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 9:36 PM | Report abuse

and the ref is buying into it every single flipping time, too.

Posted by: DCUfrvr | October 25, 2007 9:37 PM | Report abuse

eric wynalda wouldn't be nearly as surprised by the effect of the wind at this game if he just read the soccer insider pre-game...

also: with the wind moving dc's way in the second half, and either emilio or moreno coming in, you've got to expect at least a goal for dc in the second half.

also: gomez looks feisty.

Posted by: dco | October 25, 2007 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me the Fire are playing with a lot more, uh, er, fire....

Posted by: JkR | October 25, 2007 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Interesting insight by Foudy . . .

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 25, 2007 9:42 PM | Report abuse

man, take carroll out already, he's been atrocious

Posted by: pat | October 25, 2007 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Interesting insight by Foudy . . .

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 25, 2007 09:42 PM

Not for the first time. I think her insight is better than Wynalda's...

Posted by: JkR | October 25, 2007 9:44 PM | Report abuse

What the hell is Eric Wynalda trying to say? He just doesn't have anything relevant to say unless he's criticizing something or someone.

Posted by: dug | October 25, 2007 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Brian Caroll is going to get a red card at this rate...

Posted by: Sean | October 25, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I was kidding. "They need to score goals" was her argument.

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 25, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

poor poor blanco...and then Wynalda advocates acting...what a hack

Posted by: quakes fan | October 25, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

espn says: 58% possession for dc, 42% for chicago.

that's moving to 70-30 in favor of dc with the wind in the 2nd half.

Posted by: dco | October 25, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Can Blanco please get a card for diving!!

Posted by: I hate acting | October 25, 2007 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Blanco is the worst player in this league. Falls at every little touch. I think someone ought to go in hard, break his legs, collect your red card and walk away.

Posted by: Bart | October 25, 2007 9:50 PM | Report abuse

what was that!?!??!?! why dont the let them have the kick and then call the half!??!?

Posted by: tony | October 25, 2007 9:51 PM | Report abuse

What kind of stupid ref doesn't allow you to kick a corner before half? That's just stupid. MLS needs better ref.

Posted by: Bart | October 25, 2007 9:51 PM | Report abuse

how the hell would they not let them play out the corner kick?

Posted by: pat | October 25, 2007 9:51 PM | Report abuse

How do you blow the whistle on the half with a corner kick upcoming. This ref needs to learn reffing 101.

Posted by: Halftime | October 25, 2007 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I initially thought it was Blanco getting a card for diving. That was an awful call. Wynalda's excusing it was even worse.

Posted by: noptov52 | October 25, 2007 9:56 PM | Report abuse

What are the odds of an Emilio/Moreno appearance for the last 30?

If we can I'm going with 2-1 DC!

Osorio thinks his bunch of sacks can play 135 minutes and sit on a 1-0 lead . .?

Posted by: d | October 25, 2007 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I hope Soehn comes out with a different formation in the second half. Every time we play this defensively, we never get the results. I say play them honest and play to win the game.

Posted by: Bart | October 25, 2007 9:57 PM | Report abuse

no wories boys & girls, if we don't get another 1-2 goals you guys should take us back home in DC. Go Fire!!

Sorry our blogs are lame.

Goff, please don't blacklist me, I can be insightful

Posted by: Gilly73 | October 25, 2007 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I was kidding. "They need to score goals" was her argument.

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 25, 2007 09:46 PM

I wasn't. She's still better at men's and women's analysis then Wynalda...

Posted by: JkR | October 25, 2007 9:59 PM | Report abuse

please God let Moreno or Emilio play in the second half. The answer Kpene is not.

Posted by: CY | October 25, 2007 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Offensive sub coming in for DC. Emilio? Moreno?

Posted by: Bart | October 25, 2007 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I swear sometimes Glen Davis sounds like Al Michaels. Am I crazy?

Posted by: quakes fan | October 25, 2007 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Probably Moreno, no? Seems like Emilio's injury is a little more tender at this point. Wouldn't want to risk it in the rain too.

Posted by: dug | October 25, 2007 10:05 PM | Report abuse

moreno in for kpene, shoulda been carroll

Posted by: pat | October 25, 2007 10:07 PM | Report abuse

mc tavish gets burned and then the fire choke hahaha

Posted by: quakes fan | October 25, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

thank god that chad barrett is worse than any forward we could put out there

Posted by: pat | October 25, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

We just can't play with two center mids that don't want that ball and won't attack. I agree with Pat.

Posted by: dancy | October 25, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

DC needs to play with more urgency.

Posted by: Bart | October 25, 2007 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Quakes fan,
I thought the same thing about Glenn Davis sounding like Al Michaels.

I hope we don't get any cheap cards this half as the frustration grows.

Posted by: tim | October 25, 2007 10:11 PM | Report abuse

How did Brown get away with a yellow on the kick to the back after the play to Gomez?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 10:12 PM | Report abuse

c.j. brown will suffer the same fate as mr. white.

Posted by: chris | October 25, 2007 10:12 PM | Report abuse

CJ Brown can not understand how kicking somebody in the kidneys might be considered foul play...

Posted by: JkR | October 25, 2007 10:13 PM | Report abuse

"too many balls in too close to the goalkeeper"

ah, yes, the old "kicking it at the goalie" problem

Posted by: dco | October 25, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

How many times is Carroll going to lose possession in our own half? C'mon.

Posted by: G-Dub | October 25, 2007 10:15 PM | Report abuse

I love it! Wynalda talking about screwballs...

Posted by: dug | October 25, 2007 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FC | October 25, 2007 10:23 PM | Report abuse

I like Glen Davis he's cool. Get rid of Mr Random aka Wynalda and bring in Tommy Smyth. Wynalda it's time to find other work.

Posted by: quakes fan | October 25, 2007 10:24 PM | Report abuse

bummer they took barrett out. he's awful

Posted by: pat | October 25, 2007 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FC | October 25, 2007 10:23 PM

================================
Not a mistake opf the rule book, just poor judgment. It's not done, unless they offensive team is seriously wasting time.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

To all those posters upset about the ref ending the first half on a corner kick - the laws of the game say the clock can expire on a corner kick. No mistake by the ref there."

True to "the letter of the law" but still a crap judgement call. For every call that we think is straight forward, there seems to be pages of conditions in the rule book. I no longer assume anything about calls except that its ALWAYS a judgement call. Doesn't mean its a good call.

Posted by: CB9 | October 25, 2007 10:30 PM | Report abuse

How's that wind working out for us?

Posted by: SMACK | October 25, 2007 10:31 PM | Report abuse

gomez isn't really playing with any intensity or very well at all. well, noone is really playing well but still...

Posted by: pat | October 25, 2007 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Some wasted opportunities from DCU

Posted by: dug | October 25, 2007 10:31 PM | Report abuse

DC has been incredibly wasteful with its chances tonight. I can see this one ending 1-0 with DC forcing the attack the rest of the way but being unlucky to go home down.

Posted by: G-Dub | October 25, 2007 10:33 PM | Report abuse

emilio's coming on!

please for carroll please for carroll please for carroll please for carroll

Posted by: pat | October 25, 2007 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Dub | October 25, 2007 10:33 PM
================================
Whoa! You sure you want to venture such a wild prediction? :)

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 10:37 PM | Report abuse

gomez has laid an absolute steamer so far, at a time where leadership is at a prime. Maybe Emilio can do something.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | October 25, 2007 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pat | October 25, 2007 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Perkins by far MOTM for DC so far.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Not a whole lot of time for Emilio to be a factor though.

Posted by: dug | October 25, 2007 10:40 PM | Report abuse

That was pretty good camera work....

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 10:41 PM | Report abuse

I guess I did sort of sound like Wynaldo or someone there. Although I was assuming Emilio would stay on the bench to be 100% next week. Here's hoping.

Posted by: G-Dub | October 25, 2007 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Soehn does his best Arena WC '06 impression in the first half.

Posted by: Dave | October 25, 2007 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Blanco seems like he has magnets in his uniform...he seems to spend an awful lot of time on the ground!

Posted by: SportzNut21 | October 25, 2007 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Screw diving Ruiz! Blanco is Ruiz 2.0.

Posted by: Dave | October 25, 2007 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Not only is DC being wasteful with service, but they're simply losing possession far too easily. Moreno there doesn't even attempt a move and loses the ball. They're not forcing the Fire to come up with great tackles, just simple stuff.

Posted by: Luis | October 25, 2007 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Love what Moreno brings to the game, but he does seem like he's holding the ball for too long.

Posted by: dug | October 25, 2007 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Call a penal!

Posted by: dug | October 25, 2007 10:47 PM | Report abuse

My heart nearly dropped on that cross. Should've been a second for the Fire. Good defending by Burch to stop the second ball.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Burch is wasted back there. Him at mid and Fred in the middle instead of Kpene, different result.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | October 25, 2007 10:52 PM | Report abuse

that sucked

DC United had better be motivated next week. This is just disgraceful

Posted by: TCompton | October 25, 2007 10:56 PM | Report abuse

what an awful awful game. i haven't seen DC play that bad in a long time. the worst is that chicago was pretty bad themselves and we couldn't get anything out of the game.

Posted by: pat | October 25, 2007 10:58 PM | Report abuse

disappointing result, but not heartbreaking. gomez looked strong, moreno played well in reserve, and carroll just looked very poor overall. but: the countdown to next thursday begins...

Posted by: dco | October 25, 2007 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: noptov52 | October 25, 2007 08:14 PM
-------------------------------------
I know. Boz is our only aerial presence.

Posted by: | October 25, 2007 08:34 PM

I don't know who posted that reply, but it turned out to be prophetic. Chicago's goal came after Vanney charged in and made an awful aerial challenge.

The officiating was pretty bad in my opinion. They were buying almost everything Blanco was selling and missed a clear PK.

Posted by: noptov52 | October 25, 2007 10:58 PM | Report abuse

DC has not carry the importants from the start. Gomez must be incredibily unhappy of his free kicks. Now they have to come back to win. What a waste.

Posted by: d | October 25, 2007 10:59 PM | Report abuse

2 Hand balls in the box!!!

The worst offense being the Gomez free kick that was knocked down with TWO ELBOWS and the ref does squat.

I believe they called less than that when we went up against the Galaxy in Superliga.

The hand ball outside the box that lead to the Beckham free kick.

MLS REFS BITE!!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 11:02 PM | Report abuse

was it a penalty? why was moreno given a yellow?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Mind-boggling that our team could be un-motivated (at least in their play!) for this game. Here's to a better showing next week.

Posted by: Rex | October 25, 2007 11:04 PM | Report abuse

chalk that up to coaching. This guy Soehn is without a clue as to personnel and game/season management.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | October 25, 2007 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Fire Soehn!

Lucky Bar should be ashamed to call themselves a "soccer" bar. They sold out to baseball even though United fans outnumbered the b-ball fans. Last game I watch there.

Posted by: Southeasterner | October 25, 2007 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: spike_2.0 | October 25, 2007 11:04 PM
=================
Good point, that's why he's a lock for coach of the year....

Posted by: JkR | October 25, 2007 11:06 PM | Report abuse

i blame the coin toss

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 11:08 PM | Report abuse

"PREDICTION
Chicago claims the opener, 1-0, United takes Game 2 by the same score, forcing 30 minutes of overtime and then penalty kicks, which D.C. wins, 4-3."

You better be right for the second part!

Posted by: I Blame Goff | October 25, 2007 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Two handballs in the box... And the second one caught the eye of the line judge and turned the stomach of the ref (who was quite enamored with Blanco by the way).

To add to it... it was unusually difficult listening to Eric Wynalda saying.... well saying... nothing... after each handball. Gotta wonder whether the fine folks at ESPN drank the league Kool-Aid and deliberately curbed their criticism of officiating...

With the excpetion of Glenn's rhetorical questions about whether the ref's adjust their perspecitvie for the play-offs, Wynalda's silence during replays of officiating botches was defeaning...

Posted by: Mickey | October 25, 2007 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Boxscore for next week's game is in:

United 3
Fire 0

Posted by: cb9 | October 25, 2007 11:14 PM | Report abuse

somebody needs to grab the ESPN director and smack him about the head and shoulders. That was bar none the most frustrating match I have ever tried to watch. Just because you have 35 cameras doesn't mean you have to use them all at least once a minute. Show us the bloody game!

Gomez clearly does not belong at forward. He stands offside the whole time. I think it wasn't such a bad idea to have Jaime run the show from the attacking mid slot but putting Gomez up front was a complete waste.

All in all not the worst result. But I think scoring one playoff goal will hopefully shut up the idiot announcers from blathering on and on about it.

Posted by: Glenn | October 25, 2007 11:14 PM | Report abuse

As far as the "handball' shouts on the Gomez freekick into the wall:

Is the second shout for a call on Moreno? Where's the second shout for penalty?

Posted by: JkR | October 25, 2007 11:18 PM | Report abuse

i'll save Goff the trouble on the ratings

Perkins 6
Fred 5
Everyone Else 0

Posted by: pat | October 25, 2007 11:22 PM | Report abuse

I hate to say it cuz I love Jaime, but after that abysmal performance, it may be best for the club if Goff's rumors are true.

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 25, 2007 11:24 PM | Report abuse

"In my view, the defender placed his arms in front of him to protect himself before the ball was struck into him, and his arm. Sorry, no call there."

There's always a call there if the ref makes that judgement. When women protect their boobies from the ball in my coed league at the Fairfaxsportsplex, the refs don't call that, but 50% of the time they call it on a guy if he puts his arms up to protect his raisins.

Its always a judgement call and sometimes the ref calls that a PK. I think he chose not to call the second handball in the box because of how late it was in the game. Moreno did not foul the guy in the box, but in order to avoid the PK on the handball, he had to call a foul on Moreno and then a card to boot. The card was BS.

Posted by: CB9 | October 25, 2007 11:26 PM | Report abuse

I rate the ball boy a 9, he was very focused at delivering a timely ball

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 11:27 PM | Report abuse

i counted one decent corner, and zero decent free kicks.

Posted by: plc | October 25, 2007 11:29 PM | Report abuse

1) Terrible plays by both Vanney and McTavish to allow the first goal. Vanney looked like he wanted to head the ball back to Perkins, without having the "veteran presence" to realize Rolfe was making a run.

2) I love Soehn, but tactics were poor tonight. Simms and Carrol don't work well together as a central midfield tandem. Zero creativity there. Switching to a brand new formation for the playoffs is also puzzling. Stick with what got you there. Last, I like McTavish but I question the decision to start a postseason rookie over Boswell.

Posted by: DC | October 25, 2007 11:48 PM | Report abuse

In all the whining about a handball, I don't hear anyone conceding the should-have-been penalty for the DC handball in the box in the 7th minute. Have a look-- it happened.

As far as history is concerned, this series is over. All time play-off games: Chicago 11 - DC 0.

Maybe Ben Olsen can spend the off-season polishing his Supporters Shield.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | October 26, 2007 12:22 AM | Report abuse

mastodon juan, the series is not over, there is a game next thursday, its a home game for DC, there are 2 games in the first round, tickets are available at ticketmaster

also, espn2 will be broadcasting the game

Posted by: Anonymous | October 26, 2007 12:30 AM | Report abuse

History, schmistory - it's half-time and we're down by one goal, plus we have home field advantage for the second half. After the early goal, I was glad to get out of there losing by 1. Time to wake up and get it done next week.

Posted by: Ricky B | October 26, 2007 12:43 AM | Report abuse

"WTF Burch, he completely stopped on the play."
-----

Burch wasn't the only one to "stop on a play." Fred did the same thing at least twice.

And WTF was with Gomez being offside for practically half the game?!?!? I started this season being a total futbol newbie and despising the Offside Rule, and now at the end of the season I'm freaking out every time the oppsition lays an offside trap that my 95-year-old, half-blind grandmother coulda noticed better than Gomito tonight.

#$%@^&**^$#.......

Posted by: Juan-John | October 26, 2007 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Mastodon Juan is clearly a troll. Just ignore him and he'll go back to his NJ swamp.

Posted by: viv | October 26, 2007 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Coach of the year?

Then maybe he can go coach the WWC.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | October 26, 2007 6:24 AM | Report abuse

Let's not compare the reffing at the sportsplex in a co-ed league with the actual Laws of the Game.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 26, 2007 6:38 AM | Report abuse

I'm think spike_2.0 is a Red Bulls fan - he has nothing good to say!

Burch was ball watching on the goal - he looked like one of my U13's!

Bad performance against a team that can only score one goal a game then they go into a shell.

Posted by: bobf | October 26, 2007 7:55 AM | Report abuse

"WTF Burch, he completely stopped on the play."
-----

Posted by: Juan-John | October 26, 2007 12:54 AM

----------------

Yeah - but Burch stopped on a play that resulted in a goal...almost exclusively because he stopped covering his man. Had Burch stayed goal side of Rolfe (or at least continued to mark him), that open shot would not have been available.

I love Burch and think he's fantastic, but that goal was largely his fault. Well, I guess you could also blame the wind...man, it was like playing downhill for the team going left to right (unless ESPN is using that awful aerial cam...that broadcast was horrible on every count!).

Posted by: DE | October 26, 2007 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Troll? I was pointing out an early DC handball that was, outrageously, not called. Really, I'm offering consolation: maybe there was a blown call that hurt you, but there was also one that helped.

This isn't a Large Soccer Message Board, it's the comments section to a nationally-focused soccer blog, and I'm talking about soccer.

I do hate DC, though. Their losses are celebrated in my household like Purim. We bake Morenotashen and boo the introductions.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | October 26, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Mastodon,
This is the comments section to a DC United focused soccer blog.
Thank you.

Posted by: DC | October 26, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Nonsense. The Washington Post is a national newspaper, and Goff writes not only about DC United, but MLS, the national team, and international soccer.

You don't want to hear a differing opinion, so you clamor for it to be shut down, telling lies to rationalize it. Do you work for Cheney's office?

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | October 26, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I don't have much good to say about Soehn. Should I drink the kool-aid and sing Cumbaya?

The man is an idiot when it comes to coaching. Myself and a friend who coaches HS (as did I for a while before moving) were at the DCU-Dallas match. Right after the third DC goal, I asked him, "What's your move, coach?" Of course we both said pull Moreno and stick in a DM. Moreno had just gotten back from international play and you could tell he was gassed. Soehn pulled him only after he was injured.

The last Saturday deal was much the same. A meaningless game as far as winning might have been concerned, but a good time to A) rest up your go-to guys, who have been getting a little knicked, and B) give your bench players up front some minutes. You sure as hell don't pass up the opportunity to get your A-team offense a little breather -- those whom you'll be relying upon in the playoffs. We saw what happened again.

The job of the coach is not to screw things up just when the pressure is the highest. It's to manage the minutes and structure the squad so that there is maximum efficiency in developing the whole group, and to adjust strategy and positioning to the nature of the individual players.

We've seen Fred stuck in left mid, where he has had minimal effect for a maximal price tag. We've seen key players' minutes not adequately managed in the run up to the playoffs and during the season. we've seen developmental players remain marginal and show very little improvement, so that by the time when their roles become critical, they are no better than they were at the beginning of the year. And at the time when the pressure is on, for a road playoff match in Chicago, we've seen this: a guy who has over 600 minutes on the field as a striker this year and has not scored a goal start up top.

So how has Soehn earned any recognition as anything other than a marginal coach? He's not as big a jerk as Novak was? What has Soehn influenced positively?

If I were a Red Bulls fan, I'd be voting for Soehn to be coach of the year, no doubt.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | October 26, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse