Playoffs Are Set

Despite Joe Cannon's heroics and David Beckham's dangerous service in the second half, the Galaxy failed in its late push for the playoffs with a 1-0 loss at Chicago. A tie would not do them any good, so John Thorrington's goal in added time did not really matter.

Here are your first-round playoff matchups:

EAST
D.C. United vs. Chicago
New England vs. New York
WEST
Chivas USA vs. Kansas City*
Houston vs. Dallas

*K.C. finished fifth in the East and moved to the Western bracket

United will play at Chicago Thursday night at 8:30, then host the Fire on Thu., Nov. 1 at RFK at 7:30. Both matches will be shown on ESPN2.

By Steve Goff  |  October 21, 2007; 4:51 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Aftermath [updated]
Next: Greg Ryan Announcement Monday

Comments

Well then! Time for playoff payback against *hitcago! Let's hope the short week is enough time for Moreno and Emilio!

Posted by: Keenan | October 21, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Chicago's finishing skills won't improve in the next four days,but DC's defense and Perkins will need to bring their A game to the match

Posted by: emanon | October 21, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

while Thorton's goal, didn't change LAG fortunes. It changed DCU opponent from KC to CHI.

With the way CHI subbed at the end, Carr, they wanted the win and wanted DCU as a 1st round opponent.

Posted by: JSF | October 21, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Carr was a slightly defensive substitution and to waste time -- they didn't want to lose and be eliminated from the playoffs.

Posted by: RB | October 21, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Goff... Do you have the first leg schedule of the other semi-final match ups with TV coverage?

Posted by: Keenan | October 21, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that Veron is not playing for Estudiantes today against Boca and is not even available off the bench? Is he hurt or something?

Posted by: Keenan | October 21, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

So I shared this result with my wife and daughter. Sharing the language used in their response would get me banned for life from this site. This matchup scares me.

Posted by: I hate the Fire | October 21, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I have just deleted someone's comment from this thread. You know who you are.

If we are discussing the stadium, feel free to post the mayor's comment promising a stadium. Otherwise, please refrain from doing so.

Posted by: Goff | October 21, 2007 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Shoot! I like both teams and I really wanted to see them both in the final game against each other, not now! Dammit :(

Posted by: Ronnie | October 21, 2007 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Anybody going to the game in Chicago?

Posted by: Felipe | October 21, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

espn shows my school playing in two huge games this upcoming thursday, while espn2 shows my favorite soccer team in the playoff pairing that i did not want to see

choices, choices, choices

then there's dvr

vamos united!

Posted by: hokie4life | October 21, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Chicago is not a good matchup for us. I am scared that they might catch us at a time when we are not playing the best. Lets try to get to get the tie on the road, and a big win at RFK.

Posted by: DC United Fan | October 21, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Forgive me if my math and understanding of tie-breakers is incorrect here, but the thing that gets me is that by finishing the top in the league gets DCU the number 7 team while finishing 2nd gets CHV the number 8 team. This half-ass conference/single table playoff format should be dealt with in the future - one way or the other.

That said, a draw after the Copa Sudamericana loss to Chivas and a 3-1 win versus Chicago earlier in the year shows that this match up may not be the doom and gloom a historical analysis would make it out to be. Remember that 4-2 loss to KC and the lucky 1-0 win on July 4th?

Posted by: NW FC | October 21, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Any update on the injury front?

Posted by: Dave | October 21, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I know our playoff history with Chicago. Personally, I think it's time to get past that. I'm more concerned about playing Thursday, rather than Saturday. Here's hoping Jaime and Luciano can play.

asitis

Posted by: asitis | October 21, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I agree with asitis. The extra days would have been nice....

Posted by: m | October 21, 2007 6:01 PM | Report abuse

If you can't beat the teams in front of you, you don't deserve the cup. Chicago is good. So is DC. Let's get a good, basic gameplan and go out there and have fun. If we play not to lose, we are sure to have an early exit.

Posted by: Optimist | October 21, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Damnit, I wanted anyone but Chicago...just one minute away...

Posted by: NattyBo | October 21, 2007 6:05 PM | Report abuse

chicago=the only team that makes me nervous

Posted by: p | October 21, 2007 6:08 PM | Report abuse

4 wins for glory!

Posted by: JSF | October 21, 2007 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Time for a nice bit of payback for 2005 playoffs.

Posted by: BigWave | October 21, 2007 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Censorship is a cancer.

Posted by: Puscifer | October 21, 2007 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for Chicago in the first round.
They have one dangerous player: Blanco
As long as we get someone other than Abby we'll be ok.

Posted by: AlecW81 | October 21, 2007 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Abby is from Chicago!

I think the key to stopping Cootie Mac is the same key that people have used to stop Christian Gomez. Clog up the midfield and deny service. Just don't let our players get too close to him or he'll fall over and whine for a foul.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | October 21, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Censorship is a cancer.

Posted by: Puscifer | October 21, 2007 06:32 PM

Yawn...

I'm so over that dude and his "Fenty said..." post. We know. You're preachin' to the effin' choir here, man!

Posted by: KR in DC | October 21, 2007 7:06 PM | Report abuse

How badly did LA get robbed on that no-call in the box when Troy Roberts got pulled down when trying to get on the end of Beckham's cross? Were the ref's and linesmens' views obstructed? If LA had scored on a late PK there, they would've bunkered down rather than throwing everyone forward, and it would've been unlikely that Chicago would get the late score that they did.

Too bad - I think it would've been good for MLS to have LA and Beckham in the playoffs, particularly considering the tremendous run they had to even make it a possibility. Plus, a Galaxy-Chivas match would've sold out both games, and the Chivas-KC series will be lucky to average 12k. Plus, the extra two days for Jaime and Luciano could've been crucial.

Posted by: clewis | October 21, 2007 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone pointed out that MLS is punishing a team for finishing atop a tougher conference by sending the 5th place team from their conference out west, while DC has to play the 4th place team from the east?

Seems kind of backwards now, doesn't it?

Posted by: Matt | October 21, 2007 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I tried to pretend I didn't want DC to play this coming Thursday because I wanted them to get some rest, hokie4life, but I'm in the same position as you. I'm planning on torturing myself and not watching the away games live. I have tickets for BC@VT and Chicago@DC. Chances are the VT@GT game won't be over by the time Fire@United is completed so I should be able to get somewhere to catch the conclusion.

Posted by: sitruc | October 21, 2007 7:47 PM | Report abuse

clewis-

Roberts got grabbed, but come on. It's a freekick near the box. There would be 5 or 6 penalties a game given if that became the standard. You're just not going to get a penalty there.

Matt-

I think it's been brought up several times. This is MLS's worst-ever playoff system. What makes it worse is that at the beginning of the year, they proposed a straight-up 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5 system.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 21, 2007 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Keenan and other who are curious, mlsnet has a press release posted with the playoff schedule.

EASTERN CONFERENCE SEMIFINALS:
Thurs., Oct. 25 Game 1: D.C. United at Chicago Fire, 8:30 p.m. (ESPN2)
Thurs., Nov. 1 Game 2: Chicago Fire at D.C. United, 7:30 p.m. (ESPN2)

Sat., Oct. 27 Game 1: New England Revolution at New York Red Bulls, 7:30 p.m. (FSC, FSE)
Sat., Nov. 3 Game 2: New York Red Bulls at New England Revolution, 7:30 p.m. (FSC, FSE)

WESTERN CONFERENCE SEMIFINALS:
Sat., Oct. 27 Game 1: Chivas USA at Kansas City Wizards, 8:30 p.m. (Regional TV, DK)
Sat., Nov. 3 Game 2: Kansas City Wizards at Chivas USA, 10:30 p.m. (HDNet, Regional TV, DK)

Sat., Oct. 27 Game 1: Houston Dynamo at FC Dallas, 8 p.m. (HDNet, Regional TV, DK)
Fri., Nov. 2 Game 2: FC Dallas at Houston Dynamo, 8:30 p.m. (Regional TV, DK)

CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS:
Thurs., Nov. 8 Teams, time and location TBD (ESPN2)
Sat., Nov. 10 Teams, time and location TBD (FSC, FSE, HDNet)

MLS CUP:
Sun., Nov. 18 Noon (ABC and TeleFutura) at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C.

Posted by: emanon | October 21, 2007 9:07 PM | Report abuse

MD United. Details to come soon on move north. Poplar Point is as good as gone with the latest proposed offer from a VA developer (cant name names yet)

Posted by: alarm clock | October 21, 2007 10:34 PM | Report abuse

The playoffs are a single table . . sort of.

You have to admit that the system, while faulty and not a true single table DID force teams on the back end to play harder.

It's not quite relegation, but we had some interesting back end story lines.

Posted by: d | October 21, 2007 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Is the playoff game on Thursday at 8:30 central time, 9:30 eastern time? Or is it 7:30 central, 8:30 eastern? Don't want to miss it!!

Posted by: soccergirl | October 21, 2007 11:05 PM | Report abuse

They certainly all look like Eastern time.

And did anyone else notice the big clock at the stadium was running but is set to EST instead of EDT? I assume that will be right by the time of the Cup final.

Posted by: stuck in 200 | October 21, 2007 11:25 PM | Report abuse

I cannot believe there are people on this who are inferring that the Galaxy were hard done by on a no-call in the Chicago game. LA seemed to get one questionable call after another in their streak leading up to the game - most recently the no-call penalty towards the end of the Pink Cows game.

Curse you for forcing me to admit that NY should have won a game, any game.

Posted by: spectre | October 22, 2007 1:54 AM | Report abuse

See you in Chicago DC fans. I can't say I hope your stay is all that happy, well not for at least 90 minutes of it anyway. ;)

P.S. I do agree its a bit dumb to have the playoff positions decided the way they are and not play a straight up 1v8 2v7 etc. system. Oh well; Chivas has always been a bogey team for Chicago so I'm happy we avoid them.

Posted by: papa bear | October 22, 2007 4:21 AM | Report abuse

A couple thoughts in response the many in this thread:

Censorship may be cancer, but editing is not. It keeps the discussion moving forward and coherent, without having to listen to the eejits who have one and only one point to make. We get it already, shove it along.

The playoff system is stupid. In a league with many teams, it may make sense to keep to a strict East & West bracket system, but in MLS we play every team in the league 3 times during the season. It's not like we have divisional segregation here, its already just one big table. It would only make sense to seed the playoffs that way. That being said...

Those who complain that we are getting the number 7 seed instead of the number 8: huh? If we can't beat Chicago, or any other team in the playoffs, we don't deserve the Cup, plain and simple. We shouldn't give a toss who we play. We should be spitting blood and straining at the straps to play anyone, and let them fear us, for God's sake.

And last but not least, why is everyone trying so damn hard to stay in DC? Yeah, yeah, I get the in-town vibe is better, more lively, blah, blah, blah. If the DC gov't can't see what United is offering, F 'EM! Since when has the District ever done anything smart??? Why would you want to enter into a long-term relationship with those incompetent morons? I say pack the bags, take a dump on the carpet (or let Troy's dog doo it) and go wherever the best offer comes from. We deserve to be wooed, like the beautiful young thing that we are.

Goff, please give us some real discussion fodder! Injury updates?

Posted by: Grotus | October 22, 2007 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully, Chi will continue its finishing prowess from yesterday to Thursday's game. DC needs a win, not a draw, in my view. A draw is not enough given DCU's play these days.

Posted by: Nogra Rover | October 22, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Well that kind of sucks actually. It's awesome that United is playing on ESPN in both of the first round matches. But it looks like if you don't have FSC, none of the other matches are going to be on tv here.

Is it safe to assume that if DCU advances out of the first round, the second round game will be that Thursday Nov 8 game?

Posted by: Shatz / DCUMD | October 22, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Felipe asks...Anyone going to Chicago?

Yes, there's a strong contingent from the Barra Brava booked and loaded for ChiTown.

Posted by: BarraBrava | October 22, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

"In a league with many teams, it may make sense to keep to a strict East & West bracket system, but in MLS we play every team in the league 3 times during the season."

no, teams play other teams in their own division 3 times, but teams in the other division only twice.

Posted by: pat | October 22, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

This morning at 10:40 a.m., I heard a DCU commercial on WTOP (103.5) that identified the Galaxy as United's first-round opponent. I guess it's "Dewey Defeats Truman" all over again.

Posted by: Section 410 | October 22, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Chitown doesn't scare me.

We made adjustments at half during the last match at RFK. I believe a straight 4-4-2 turned into 4-3-1-2 . .

They were effectively shut down offensively (then again so were we) and it turned into a midfield struggle.

We won't get many chances on goal since everyone's strategy against us is to stack the box.

Posted by: delantero | October 22, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Soehn,

Please bench Brian Carroll throughout the playoffs.

Thanks, and good luck.

Posted by: Logic | October 22, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Please bench Kpene too!

Posted by: d | October 22, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

The Conference Championship is only one game, correct, not a home/home series?

Posted by: d | October 22, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Correct

Posted by: Chico | October 22, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Well if one or both of Jaime or Emilio is out, Kpene is pretty much our only other other option which depending on the circumstances and how well Chicago defends might be a good thing

Posted by: United F. | October 22, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse