Pope's Home Farewell, Houston's Victory

Eddie Pope made his final home appearance with RSL during a 1-0 loss to Houston last night, a result that pulled the Dynamo within one point of Chivas USA in the Western Conference with one game remaining. Those clubs will face each other Saturday night at Home Depot Center.

Stuart Holden scored on a shot/cross that Nick Rimando couldn't reach and each team received a red card.

Click here for the video.

By Steve Goff  |  October 16, 2007; 9:46 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In Honor of El Diablo
Next: United News and Notes

Comments

Any chance of somehow linking to the Pope tribute video that was shown at RFK a few weeks ago?

Posted by: WNT fan | October 16, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Pope is such a classy guy. I hope he continues in the sport and ends up managing.

Posted by: bribri | October 16, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Lots of red cards lately.

Posted by: Glenn | October 16, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Off-topic:

If Angel gets the MVP award then I beleive the fix is in... just sayin'

Posted by: Soy United! | October 16, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Those have got to be two of the weakest red cards I have ever seen. It looked like Beckerman tripped over the turf, and that Onstadt clearly shouldered into MoveSissyan. I hope that gets reviewed.

Posted by: Andy In Asheville | October 16, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

The RSL red was a second yellow, I think, which was reasonable.

Posted by: Terp | October 16, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Glad to see some things never change..."Rimando couldn't reach the shot/cross." And yes, Hope Solo would have made that save...

Posted by: Henchlow | October 16, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

So the Holden goal was lucky, but I hope his name keeps getting mentioned, and he gets a call-up soon...

Posted by: RK | October 16, 2007 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I dispute that Angel claim, he's got one less goal than Emilio in far less games played, and has been the singular difference maker out there for NYRB, whereas Emilio has been part of the chorus in DCU's success.

Posted by: Logan Circle | October 16, 2007 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Another factor that should be considered in JPA's MVP campaign is the he has scored 4 or 5 from the spot and at least 1 more from a free kick.

Luci's have all come from the run of play, I think DC has 4 or 5 PK goals this year, add that to his total and he is approaching the all-time goal scoring record.

Posted by: Henchlow | October 16, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Pope had a great career. I have the utmost respect for him for his service to DCU and the USMNT.

Well done, Eddie.

Posted by: KR in DC | October 16, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

According to the game report:
HOU -- Eddie Robinson (ejection; Denied Goal Scoring Opportunity (Foul)) 73
RSL -- Yura Movsisyan (ejection; Violent Conduct) 77

referee: Tim Weyland

So it wasn't a second yellow. But the last line explains it all. I'll never understand why he keeps getting assigned to MLS games.

Posted by: Glenn | October 16, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Let's hire Pope in the front office to keep NYRBs from adding to their ex-DCU office roster.

Posted by: viv | October 16, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Man do I love Troy Perkins. That was just plain sad.

Posted by: ohboyohboy | October 16, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCAustinite | October 16, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

"When considering the MVP award, cost has to be a factor. That makes it a no-brainer.

Posted by: DCAustinite | October 16, 2007 11:49 AM "
****************
Exactly, more bang for the buck makes Emilio the more VALUEABLE player hands-down! Period.

Posted by: Soy United! | October 16, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCAustinite | October 16, 2007 11:49 AM
--------------
Most Valuable, not Monetary Value.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 16, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I second the motion to have D CU hire His Holiness in some capacity.

Posted by: ursula | October 16, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Hell, if cost is a consideration, if Burch doesn't get MVP, the fix is in.

Posted by: Logan Circle | October 16, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

"Pope is pursuing some front-office job opportunities, one of which could keep him within the RSL family as an executive"

Posted by: emanon | October 16, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Uhh, that's a red card on the trip from behind. Ball on his foot, 20 yards out, that's not a great scoring chance? It has to be a red. And keepers are special people. You saw what happened with the shoulder. That's why the red card on Movsisyan. Plus, he had a yellow earlier from a tactical foul.

But man, I'll second the motion that I love Perkins. Nicky's a great person, but that goal was a weak, weak goal. Off your back foot Nicky!!!

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | October 16, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Most Valuable, not Monetary Value
---------------------------------

And paying 2 million for one guy doesn't affect what you can pay for the rest of the team? They are related. It should be factored into consideration.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

As I recall, it not only has to be a clear scoring opportunity, but the foul has to be by the last defender (field player) to warrant the red. There was a least one defender ahead of the action, closing quickly from the right.

Further, that's not the type of 'from behind' take down that the red is supposed to punish...which apparently isn't being called anymore anyway.

And it looked to me that he tripped. I say this as someone who likes RSL but clearly thinks very little of certain MLS refs.

Posted by: seahawkdad | October 16, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

_________________________________________

That's sort of right, but backwards. On paper, there only has to be a clear scoring opportunity. However, in practice, the presence of another defender almost invariably leads to the judgment that the play has not yet progressed to the point of a clear scoring opportunity, so that a yellow card, not a red, is shown.

Posted by: Section 410 | October 16, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Some consideration has to be given to intent on the part of the Robinson. Looked to me like accidental contact - by all means give the free kick but the card seemed harsh. As for the RSL red card, Onstadt instigated then fell over dramatically - maybe he's been watching Nelson Dida training videos.

Posted by: abacus | October 16, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | October 16, 2007 01:01 PM
________________
Well, inasmuch as only $400K of the DP salary counts toward the salary cap, and the salary cap is already an imaginary number, I still think that cost doesn't matter.

Don't get me wrong, I think Emilio should win MVP, but not because of his salary.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 16, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

@ Henchlow, I thought I was sick and tired of hearing about Hope Solo, but that was pretty funny.

Posted by: Matt | October 16, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------

Yes, imaginary or no, it matters more to teams that don't make any money. in that sense the salary cap is meaningless. I think that makes emilio even more valuable. You have to factor all of it. It comes dowen to which one would you rather have starting. When you have to pay for it, it's Emilio.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Well then, you should go with Maykel Galindo.

Galindo:
$72,500/12g = $6,041 per goal

Emilio:
$265,000/20g - $13,250 per goal.

Chivas and DC United are both atop their conferences. So, by your own logic, Maykel Galindo should be MVP.

Of course, if money is a factor, who sold more replicas?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 16, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse