Poplar Point Update

It's not much, but here you go.

By Steve Goff  |  October 14, 2007; 3:56 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Good Day at the Gate
Next: DCU Wins Supporters' Shield

Comments

steve- as much as we appreciate the updates, it's sunday. don't you want to enjoy a day off?

Posted by: longfellow | October 14, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Goff gets paid for this?

Posted by: d | October 14, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Comment #2, see comment #1.

Posted by: expat lumberjack | October 14, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

obsessive compulsive, clearly

Posted by: Goff | October 14, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Supporter's Shield stays in DC! Thank you Colorado!

Posted by: Ash | October 14, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I watched the CDUSA-Rapids match and I still can't believe that result. I'm in a much better mood now than I was in last night. I apologize to the deer I killed and the people who I upset because of my frustrations last night.

Posted by: sitruc | October 14, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

On to the Cup and then Poplar Point!

Posted by: Popping Corks | October 14, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Woo-hoo! Supporters' Shield stays in D.C... Thank you very much, Colorado Rapids!

Posted by: Soy United! | October 14, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Sitruc,
Now that you've apologized, you may sit on the end of the bench, but don't dress out. If you think this is punishment, don't worry. You'll have Hope to keep you company.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 14, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Clever, Exit 1...and much appreciated. Freddy never had to go through this much grief, did he?

Winning the Supporters Shield takes a bit of sting out of other sports events today (I don't do spoilers).

And Steve, it may not be much in terms of a lot of words, but what Nakamura wrote about is 'much'. 200 members of the community meeting with their respective Council reps spells growth of political resistance to DC's dear mayor. As I remember, the land transfer requires presentation of a plan that has been approved by the DC Council. I don't think Fenty can do it by fiat.

Posted by: seahawkdad | October 14, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

COLORADO 2 CHIVAS 1!!!

EVEN IF WE LOSE WE WIN . .

Posted by: D | October 14, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Thanks I-270, Exit 1. Good thing none of this got to a Canadian reporter first. I thought I was at least going to have to update my MySpace page.

Posted by: sitruc | October 14, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

thank you for being obsessive compulsive. We wouldn't know where to go for our daily fix. :)

Posted by: m | October 14, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse

It's not huge, but it's good news. It means there's now two Ward chiefs willing to campaign for the stadium.

Posted by: Stan | October 14, 2007 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Wait, I thought Nakamura was a Boss Fenty-man who deliberately is trying to use the influence of the Washington Post to tank the Poplar Point plan? ;)

Posted by: Dave | October 14, 2007 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Who told you that? Nakamura is just a reporter.

Posted by: Stan | October 14, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Either you don't get my sarcasm or I don't get yours.

Posted by: Dave | October 14, 2007 10:40 PM | Report abuse

"If you think this is punishment, don't worry. You'll have Hope to keep you company."
------

Heeeere, Bambi, Bambi, Bambi...

Posted by: Juan-John | October 14, 2007 11:36 PM | Report abuse

OK, about the stadium:

I think I've read just about everything there is to read on the stadium issue, and I still can't penetrate the mists to sort fact from myth. Maybe the Post, in some future update, can help me and others out on this.

First, does the mayor's support for a competitive process actually suggest that he's against the stadium? In other words, does the language of the RFEI really preclude a proposal from United or some partnership that includes United? Or is it possible that he actually still wants to have a stadium, but he just wants to look good doing it?

Second, some have said that United is asking for a bunch of public money to help build the stadium. Others have said that United, unlike other teams we could name, wants to build the stadium with private money. My hunch is the truth lies somewhere betwixt. But where?

Until I can sort all that out, I won't know how pessimistic I should be.

Posted by: Nonplussed | October 15, 2007 5:21 AM | Report abuse

Nonplussed,
The guidelines for the proposals limits the amount of development space, and Victor seems to think that those restrictions are there to stop the stadium. He is a little pissed b/c nothing was mentioned to him while they were taking his money for clean up and letting him put togeather the original plans.
DC is willing to pay for the stadium and the surrounding development (around 1 billion) but the new development would mean lowering the bridge and adjusting the roads and Victor wants the city to pay for that.
That is the best that I can do. Goff's transcript of Victor at The Post is a good source of info.

Posted by: jgildea | October 15, 2007 7:59 AM | Report abuse