The Aftermath [updated]

That's no way to go into the playoffs, now is it?

First, the injury report:

Moreno said he hurt his foot, not his ankle, and he said it happened when he stepped in a seam on the brand-new grass field (or maybe he stumbled on the Pros vs Joes football markings). He said he'll have to see how it responds during the week before determining whether he can play in the opener, whenever that may be.

Emilio has a mild ankle sprain, but said he was in a lot of pain. Like Moreno, he will see how it responds during the week. Fred was limping a bit, but said he's fine.

United better hope it does not have to play Thursday.

Here's the deal with the playoffs:

If Chicago beats L.A. on Sunday, United plays the Fire in the first round. Game 1 Thursday at Bridgeview, Game 2 on Nov. 1 at RFK.

If Chicago loses or ties on Sunday, United plays Kansas City. Game 1 Saturday at Arrowhead, Game 2 on Nov. 1 at RFK.

PLAYER RATINGS
Perkins 4; Namoff 4, Boswell 5, McTavish 5, Burch 5; Mediate 4, Carroll 4, Gomez 6, Fred 5; Moreno no rating, Emilio 5. Subs: Kpene 5, Olsen 6, Simms 5.

Click here for my game report.....

Bonus quotes below.....

BEN OLSEN
"You are always troubled when you have a performance like that. It was a case where we didn't prepare mentally throughout the week and it is so key down the stretch to prepare yourself mentally and realize the challenge that is ahead of us. I don't think we did that. These games are tough sometimes. Sometimes the situation dictates how much you focus and hopefully it was just that -- it was just that the game didn't mean much so we didn't prepare the right way throughout the week. That's going to change starting Monday. It's a new season and I've forgotten about this game already. We're excited to get these playoffs underway and hopefully we'll have a different mind-set."

JAIME MORENO
"I'm pissed [about getting hurt]. I just stepped in a little gap. We'll see how this goes."

TROY PERKINS
On the first goal: "I really broke the cardinal rule. If you are going to go, you have to go hard, and I didn't. I just kind of stopped and tried to make him go by me and he poked it right through me."

"Overall, starting in the first half, everyone on the field was a little lackadaisical, a little flat, and I think that hurt us. It really set the tone for us and we never got out of that funk."

BRYAN NAMOFF
"We came out and played very predictable in the first half and they were able to counter off our mistakes. We're just glad to get it out now before the playoffs start. We'll fine-tune everything defensively and work on a few things. We came out a little lackadaisical and it was good to get a wake-up call. Next week we will prepare to minimize of our mistakes. We're done with the regular season, now it's time to move on."

BOBBY BOSWELL
"We are a deep team and we've dealt with injuries before. It's part of the game. ... Tonight wasn't as much about the injuries as just that we weren't mentally sharp."

What was Soehn's reaction?

"He was mad at the half and after the game he just wanted us to make sure we understood that he thought it was a build-up to this; it wasn't just tonight, it was the week of practice. I agree with him."

MARC BURCH
"We didn't have a good game today, but we came out with a little bit of a mentality that we are already in the playoffs, we already have the No. 1 seed. I feel like it was in the back of our mind. I feel like we will be all right."

TOM SOEHN
"I think the injuries are going to be okay. The frustrating part is that we got exactly what we deserved. We came out flat, we weren't sharp, and if you do that with any team in our league, whether it is top or bottom, you are going to come out on the wrong end of it. It was a great lesson for us and obviously it's not the result you want to have especially at home going into the playoffs, but in a lot of ways it knocked us down to reality. I think it's going to be an even bigger lesson than I expected because I saw there faces in there [in the locker room]. I think it was a good eye-opener for us."

On Moreno: "I think it was more precautionary to take him out. He'll be fine."

By Steve Goff  |  October 20, 2007; 10:44 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday 30: United-Crew
Next: Playoffs Are Set

Comments

This match is scheduled to be rebroadcast Sunday at 12:30 p.m. on the real CSN, not CSN+, which I hope is helpful to certain residents of Fairfax County:

There is also a rebroadcast scheduled for Wednesday at noon, subject to the caveat that CSN's schedules are subject to the most arbitrary and capricious change.

Posted by: Section 410 | October 20, 2007 10:57 PM | Report abuse

that sucked. for real.

Posted by: the cheat | October 20, 2007 11:01 PM | Report abuse

***SPOILERS***

Salt Lake!

...Obviously, I'm rooting for KC as DC's 1st round opponent (it's not Chicago, and the 1st leg is not a Thursday). If this result holds, and LA beats Chicago, it's DC/KC.

***END***

Posted by: B.A. | October 20, 2007 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Who would want to watch that dreck, again? Or, knowing better, even for the first time? I wish I could get back the two hours I just wasted watching that pitiful effort by DC. Peee-yeeewww!

Posted by: Winoman | October 20, 2007 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff, can you give an update on Fred? After a play in which he looked like he re-aggravated the groin, he spent much of the second half clutching at his abdomen and occasionally limping during slow periods.

Posted by: Bootsy | October 20, 2007 11:09 PM | Report abuse

MLSNet.com has us listed as playing this Thursday. Is this new? Someone above said if it's KC we play, then we don't play Thurs...

Posted by: Chummer | October 20, 2007 11:28 PM | Report abuse

I think that schedule actually indicates we could play any day between Thursday and Sunday.

Posted by: Ricky B | October 20, 2007 11:47 PM | Report abuse

second leg is set for thursday.

first leg is occurring between thursday and sunday of next week

Posted by: emanon | October 20, 2007 11:48 PM | Report abuse

I understand that the DCU players didn't hang around after the match to sign autographs because they had a team meeting they had to attend. Just wanted the fans to know that they weren't being ungrateful or unsociable.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 20, 2007 11:48 PM | Report abuse

So correct me if I'm wrong:

Chicago wins we get Chicago on Thursday.

LA wins we get KC on Saturday or Sunday.

Posted by: d | October 21, 2007 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Freddy Scores for Benfica today

Posted by: Carlos | October 21, 2007 12:06 AM | Report abuse

United played like a team which has already won the league championship: which of course they already have. It is quite understandable having a loss of motivation at present as there would appear to be very little to play for. What do we actually gain by winning the league cup?

Posted by: rob | October 21, 2007 12:10 AM | Report abuse

MLS Cup, and recognition as champions. In every other league in the world, the Supporter's Shield winner would be the champion. But this is America, and we have to have playoffs in almost every sport, so it's the MLS Cup winner who is crowned champion.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 21, 2007 12:17 AM | Report abuse

I completely fail to understand why you play any key players in this game....

Posted by: Lloyd Heilbrunn | October 21, 2007 12:22 AM | Report abuse

rob,

A raucous sellout home crowd with national TV exposure and enough significance that allows for more aspects of the stadium issue to be brought to light.

A 12th major trophy in 12 full years of existence.

Recognition by casual fans/Beckhamites/new overseas followers of MLS that, in case they haven't guessed, DC United is the premiere franchise in this nation.

Five (5) seconds on SportsCenter.

A 5th star and MLS Cup.

Bragging rights on BigSoccer, as MLS Cup is thought of as "more pretigious" than the Supporters' Shield.

And, I believe the players get a bonus as well. We all have our reasons :)

Posted by: B.A. | October 21, 2007 12:28 AM | Report abuse

...Not to say that the players only want MLS Cup for the money.

Note to everyone: Don't post while drunk!

Posted by: B.A. | October 21, 2007 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Chivas and Houston played to a scoreless draw, so we're down to one match in Bridgeview, IL.

Posted by: Section 410 | October 21, 2007 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Wrong!

Wrong!

Stinking Europoseurs.

Posted by: Every Other League | October 21, 2007 1:06 AM | Report abuse

Steven,

When is the Eastern Conference Championship: Sunday, November 11th or some other day?

Posted by: Tim | October 21, 2007 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Ben Olsen, Christian Gomez, Troy Perkins, and a few others were signing after the game. But they did all leave rather abruptly. Still, my son was juiced to get a few more signatures on his stat sheet - he's only a couple players away from having the starting eleven.

Posted by: JB | October 21, 2007 1:28 AM | Report abuse

does anyone know where to find highlights of the benfica-setubal game? apparently freddy scored the tying goal in injury time.

Posted by: el diablo | October 21, 2007 1:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad Chivas tied Houston. That means -- regardless of tonight's crappy game -- DCU ends the season on top of the league, with nun-a-dis tiebreaker crap. :-)

I think I'm developing a man-crush on Marc Burch's crosses. Not Marc Burch, mind you -- just his crosses. Almost every one of them in the second half landed right at Benny Olsen's feet.

Posted by: Juan-John | October 21, 2007 3:41 AM | Report abuse

I think this is Freddy's goal. It's in the first 10 seconds of the 1-minute clip:

Posted by: Juan-John | October 21, 2007 3:46 AM | Report abuse

""Almost every one of them in the second
half landed right at Benny Olsen's feet.""

That's good cuz the one I saw in the first half sailed into the mezzanine level.

Posted by: the kick is up and it's GOOD | October 21, 2007 5:07 AM | Report abuse

Let's see if the mayor listens to the will of the people, or just goes zzzzzzz:

Posted by: Stadium Please | October 21, 2007 5:46 AM | Report abuse

I (heart) Pros vs. Joes.

Posted by: Dude | October 21, 2007 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Freddy's goal from this week.

Posted by: nameless | October 21, 2007 10:05 AM | Report abuse

The latest Nakamura article on Poplar Point points out that the District is under no obligation to accept any of the bids that it receives next month in response to the RFEI. To that extent, United is not out of the running. Of course, if the District does accept MacFarlane's proposal, which deviates from the RFEI's specifications, the other bidders will wonder why those specs were in there in the first place.

Posted by: Section 410 | October 21, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Not only was the play bad, but the fans in front of me, next to me and behind me were either stoned, smelly, idiots or a repulsive blend of the three. Man was I annoyed.

Posted by: Brendan | October 21, 2007 10:21 AM | Report abuse

One of the conference finals will be played on Thu., Nov. 8, for ESPN2 purposes. The other will probably be Sat., Nov. 10. Depends on the teams involved. If DCU is playing, you can probably expect another Thursday kickoff.

Posted by: Goff | October 21, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

why did the matchtracker say 1-0 galaxy on own goal but now its 0-0? Damn!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Colpp | October 21, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

san diego 1700am for radio call

Posted by: Colppp | October 21, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

online streams http://www.myp2p.eu/Matches/Match13.htm

and Ives is doing a running commentary

Posted by: emanon | October 21, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

-Brendan

Were you sitting with the Hudson Street Hooligans or the Crewsers?

I've always found United fans to be articulate, cogent, and well perfumed. There is nothing quite like the sweet bouquet of hops and barley, coupled with informed analysis of the on-field action.

If you do desire separation from the hard core fans feel free to sit down somewhere in the mezzanine, though the wine and cheese buffet up there ends far to early for any real networking.

Here is an upcoming local event that may be right up your alley:

Posted by: spectre | October 21, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Chicago...

See ya next spring - beckhams!

Posted by: JSF | October 21, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

So, I guess we head to Chicago on Thursday, right Goff?

Posted by: Keenan | October 21, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Although the hoopla surrounding an LA-DC final would have been interesting - I wonder if some MLS execs are thankful that now they don't have to face the conflict of Beckham in the Cup vs Beckham (possibily) being called in to the England National team games set for the international window at the same time (16th & 20th)

Posted by: emanon | October 21, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Last season is repeating.

For all its play, this team chokes when its time for games to mean something. Not once in any competition has this team risen above the challenge. Instead, when the competition gets rough the team folds.

I also think this team is much less deep that it thinks particularly at forward. Once you move past Emilio and Moreno there is nothing on this team.

The worst possible outcome for the first round of the playoff has come to pass with DC playing Chicago a team we have NEVER beaten in the playoffs.

I can see a 2-0 loss in Chicago with a 1-1 tie here in DC. Chicago moves on and DC really does need to look at a different coach.

Posted by: Nick | October 21, 2007 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Fred annoyed me because he passed backward so much. Fred to Carroll is not going to do much for our attack. He is Brazilian, FFS, he should be able to get around one or two defenders.

Posted by: gringo | October 21, 2007 8:23 PM | Report abuse

BRYAN NAMOFF had a nightmare performance

Posted by: BK | October 22, 2007 8:31 AM | Report abuse

""BRYAN NAMOFF had a nightmare performance""

Yeah, trying to dribble through 3 players at 20 yards out from your own goal is a little daft. Uncharacteristic of the former Richmond Kicker. . .

Posted by: d | October 22, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Chitown doesn't scare me.

We made adjustments at half during the last match at RFK. I believe a straight 4-4-2 turned into 4-3-1-2 . .

They were effectively shut down offensively (then again so were we) and it turned into a midfield struggle.

We won't get many chances on goal since everyone's strategy against us is to stack the box.

Posted by: d | October 22, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse