United News and Notes

This week, we will refer to RFK Stadium as Pros vs Joes Arena. Eager for revenue now that the Nationals are gone and confident that the new turf will withstand even the silliest of reality shows, the D.C. Sports and Entertainment Commission has reached a deal with the Spike TV program to film at RFK this week.

So that beautiful new grass surface has 60 yards worth of football markings on it. And the gap behind the north goal is now graced with a basketball court. And just outside the visiting baseball dugout is a boxing ring. The referee's locker room is now the Joes' locker room. The media room is now a staging area for the production crew (grrrr).

The pros involved in the "competition" are pretty big names. I have to keep quiet about it for now. Of course, Bog Man Dan Steinberg is all over this story and will report back with his findings soon.

Asked if he would like to be a Pro or a Joe, Bobby Boswell said: "I am a Joe. I want to win." (No, he's not participating.)

On a more serious note, when told what was going on inside the stadium, Boswell said, "They put lines out there? Great. Good to see they respect us. The same week we win the Supporters' Shield."

General Manager Dave Kasper said the club has been assured that the football markings will be gone before Saturday's match against Columbus. "Nothing a little green paint can't solve. It will be fine."

Okay, as for United, Josh Gros remains out. The team is awaiting more test results, but it does not look like he will play again this season.

If you are expecting Coach Tom Soehn to use a bunch of reserves for 90 minutes Saturday, forget it. After a pair of ties, including a flawed performance against Chicago on Saturday, the coach and his players are stressing the importance of getting into a rhythm before the playoffs. Speaking of which, there is a possibility United could play its opener, on the road, a week from Thursday. They probably will not know for sure until Sunday. So with a potentially narrow gap between matches, it will be important for United's regulars to get into top form.

More on United's approach to the regular season finale and plenty of other notes in Wednesday's print edition (which will be available on washingtonpost.com late tonight). There also may be some stadium (the new one, not the old one) news very soon.

Meantime, enjoy this photo gallery from Post photographer Toni Sandys.

By Steve Goff  |  October 16, 2007; 1:51 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pope's Home Farewell, Houston's Victory
Next: Busy Wednesday

Comments

When will we all get it, DC people want us, every aspect of DC Government (save barry and ward 7 and 8) do not.

Posted by: DCAustinite | October 16, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow, a classic Goff-tease:

"There also may be some stadium (the new one, not the old one) news very soon."

True, and there may be information about the Tooth Fairy as well.... ;)

Posted by: May is a cruel....er, word | October 16, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Not major news, just some recent developments. Probably a Metro section story.

Posted by: Goff | October 16, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

A post season opener 5 days after your last regular season game is a good reason to rest your starters. Sure, they haven't been firing on all cylinders lately, but what if we lose somebody to an injury? Let them rest.

My starting 11 for Saturday:
Nolly
Namoff Boswell J. Carroll DeRoux
Moose B. Carroll Dyachenko Mediate
Kpene Walker

Posted by: Matte | October 16, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Some starters for a half, okay. We would be crazy to play anyone in yellow peril.

Posted by: GUTuna | October 16, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Deroux plays Defense????

Posted by: Its me Snitches | October 16, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

i thought that the great new field looked pretty bad on TV last weekend. you could see the seams in the sod everywhere and lots of it was yellowish. too bad it's going to look worse than that after all this TV stuff.

is the high school football game DCSEC wants to have their after MLS Cup?

Posted by: pat | October 16, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

---
Not major news, just some recent developments. Probably a Metro section story.
---

When?

I tend to only read the metro section if it is linked to from a sports blog.

Posted by: news | October 16, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I must admit that DeRoux plays absolutely no defense. Still, I'll stick with him.

And I see that Walker is on the injury list. Addlery up top instead.

Good thing I'm at the helm! Soehn would be lost without me.

Posted by: Matte | October 16, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Well, if Goff hadn't put me to sleep with all of his "Zzzzzz..." I might actualy be able to get excited about possible new stadium news.

Unfortunately, I prefer the "Zzzzzz..." over all of the news I've been reading lately, so I'm not going to get excited.

Posted by: TCompton | October 16, 2007 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I am glad the full squad will be run out Sat. Above my selfish desires to see them live at the Pros vs Joes Arena (great one Goff) I too feel they need some time on the field working out some obvious issues with spacing, runs, possession and working FOR each other.

Posted by: marksman | October 16, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Great shots from Toni. She's a great photographer.

Posted by: Chico | October 16, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Apologies if someone already posted this, but here's a cool editorial from the WaPo Ombudsman re: sports coverage:

Posted by: Juan-John | October 16, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I don't get playing the starters at all.
Moreno will be returning from two WC qualifiers on short rest - he's soccer old and has had injury problems in the past.
Fred looked like his groin was gimpy last Saturday, why chance any further injury?
Gomez - see the Moreno comments regarding age.
Emilio - jeebus why risk injury to a 20 goal scorer in a meaningless game?
Olsen, Namoff, Vanney and Perkins all should get a rest as well. Simms for a half, spelled by Carroll.

Posted by: griffin1108 | October 16, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Why can't you out the "Pros"? Do you have a contract with Spike TV or the DC Sports Commission that precludes you from reporting what you see? I thought that was your job?

Posted by: noname | October 16, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Interesting article Juan-John. Thanks for the link. What struck me is how far down on the list DCU still is, with regard to clicks on WAPO.com. I guess when that's all I read every day, I forget that most of the US still is oblivious of MLS.

Posted by: Matte | October 16, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

DC United my be down low on that list but the Soccer Insider is way up there trailing only the Redskins Insider if memory serves correctly.

Posted by: Chico | October 16, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Props to SI then! No doubt!

Posted by: Matte | October 16, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I think her point was clicks-on-news-stories and not posts-on-blogs.

Posted by: Juan-John | October 16, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Erick | October 16, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

From Nakamura's piece:

"When complete, the stadium would attract fans and tourists from throughout the region, all of whom would be eating in Maryland restaurants, shopping in Maryland retailers and even staying in Maryland hotels," he [Maryland Comptroller Peter Franchot] wrote. "The enormous tax revenues generated on game nights alone would provide an enormous benefit to a State that is currently searching for reliable revenue streams to balance its budget."

Somehow this seems to work better in Maryland than in DC?

Strange, that.

Posted by: seahawkdad | October 16, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Slightly ahead of the Mystics. Is it any wonder that for all of the squeaking their fans do, DC United isn't getting the grease?

Posted by: Don K | October 16, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey Don, why don't you look into where the Soccer Insider sits hit wise?

Posted by: Chico | October 16, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Does this news of a letter showing Maryland's potential interest in attracting United lead anyone in DC's govt to consider how losing United could be a real (and unwise) option?

Would the MD Stadium Authority also opt to share a United Stadium there with reality tv shows in the future?

Posted by: 2 questions | October 16, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"Somehow this seems to work better in Maryland than in DC?"

Frankly, this one looks a lot more like a viable possibility, though "Maryland United" just doesn't have the same ring. But I bet a lot of fans who had their hearts set on "DC United Platinum Edition" are going to be crying in their beers.

Posted by: Don K | October 16, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Chico, I'm just sayin' that as devoted and passionate and, well, VOCAL as DCU's fanbase is, it's really not all that large in the scheme of things.

Posted by: Don K | October 16, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

What's not that large? The Soccer Insider trails only the Redskins Insider in hits. So it's ok to disparage one fact but not acknowledge another?

Posted by: Chico | October 16, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey Don, what's the K stand for? Knotts?

Posted by: Matte | October 16, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Blog hits come from a smaller set of people who repeatedly visit the site than links to articles that run in the paper, which are basically static content.

So the fact that the number of clicks on static content pertaining to DCU are a fraction of the number of clicks on static content of all other DC-area pro sports teams (and a lot of college sports team) indicates that United's base of support is smaller.

It's a hell of a lot more passionate, but it's way smaller.

Posted by: Don K | October 16, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Of course it's smaller. We're talking about Redskins Nation here. Besides, Steve Goff writes an article. We read the article. Then we come here and discuss it. I doubt it's the same five people driving the Soccer Insider to number two in blog hits.

Posted by: Chico | October 16, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I guess the question is, do the numbers that Goff (and LaCanfora and Svrluga et al) talk about on their blogs refer to simply "hits," i.e. people who click on their respective journal/blog sites and just lurk, or do they refer to the number of people who actually submit posts/comments to those individual blogs?

Posted by: Juan-John | October 16, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

They're talking about clicks.

Posted by: Don K | October 16, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

"Presumably, the state of Maryland wouldn't have to recoup at least $300 million in "infrastructure" costs."

What we have yet to see is the breakdown of that $300M (see, Chico, I've learned). How much of it is going to be required no matter what the development? Is any of it related to moving the Park Police helicopter operation? What is the reduction in infrastructure costs, if any, resulting from Fenty's halving the 8M square feet of development that MacFarlane proposed?

We know none of this. I wish Nakamura had the bandwidth to go after this.

Posted by: seahawkdad | October 16, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

"Washingtonpost.com can count every mouse click to determine interest as indicated by Web readership. "

Posted by: Don K | October 16, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

seehawkdad wrote:

From Nakamura's piece:

Somehow this seems to work better in Maryland than in DC?

DC, MD, or VA...it's not only about where it is, but how it's done.

How many people spend money in Landover when going to an event at Fedex Field? I'm willing to bet very, very few. But I would also imagine that the numbers would break out differently for Camden Yards. Build a lovely small stadium on near the water with restaurants nearby and a park, and make it a cool pace hang out and I believe money will be spent in Ward 8 (oh, and Mr. Mayor, those restaurants will be these 24/7).

Posted by: KR in DC | October 16, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Who is in danger (if anyone) of missing the first playoff game by picking up a yellow card against Columbus?

Posted by: silentbob | October 16, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I will not contribute ONE CENT to Maryland.

Posted by: My Taxes stay in VA/DC | October 16, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear that Soehn has no intention of trotting out a reserve team. We haven't been in top form lately, and results after a couple of "long" breaks between games recently have showed the team looking uninspired.

I think the players need to get into a rhythm more than they need to get rest.

Posted by: Doppler | October 16, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

not to discount Goff's awesome blog, but a couple thoughts on traffic...

-he's been racking up the traffic all summer, when the caps and the wizards have been off season. not much traffic to the blogs when those teams are on vacation, except when andray blatche does something stupid, maybe.

-the Soccer Insider has really filled a nationwide void in soccer reporting. Steve frequently breaks national news, and also MLS news for teams in other markets, like Scott Garlick retiring. You see a lot of posts on here from LA fans and NE fans. I don't think that there is any nationwide appeal to the Caps and Wizards blogs.

-steve posts things more frequently. looks like some of the other insiders are on a daily schedule, whereas we've been trained to come back and back throughout the day

Posted by: pat | October 16, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: silentbob | October 16, 2007 03:59 PM

No one. Yellow card accumulations get wiped out for the playoffs. If a player were at the "danger point", he would still receive the fine but would not be suspended.

However, if a player gets two yellows (or a straight red) against Columbus he would miss the first playoff game.

Posted by: Rick in Ashburn | October 16, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

""Speaking of which, there is a possibility United could play its opener, on the road, a week from Thursday. ""

HUH? I JUST BOUGHT TIX FOR A HOME GAME on THURSDAY NOV 1!!!

What gives?!@

Posted by: d | October 16, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: My Taxes stay in VA/DC
I will not contribute ONE CENT to Maryland.

I'll buy tickets to support the club - but go OUT of my way to avoid money going to Maryland."

Funny, 'cos I'll go out of my way to avoid going to the Commonwealth of Va - what, go to a soccer game and buy a gun while you are there? No thank you!

Posted by: 761-091 | October 16, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

How about a Jaime Moreno update?

I was under the impression that he (and most of the other non-Bolivia based players on their Nat'l team) was really only called up for Saturday's Uruguay game at sea level. The local players were then supposed to play Colombia this week at altitude in, I believe, La Paz.

Is Jaime still in Bolivia with the national team and when can we expect him back?

Posted by: garbaggio | October 16, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

WHAT? I just bought tix for a home game on THURSDAY NOV 1!?

""Speaking of which, there is a possibility United could play its opener, on the road, a week from Thursday""

Posted by: delantero | October 16, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Why would Soccer Insider readers be more apt to visit more often than readers of any of the other blogs? Because unless you can come up with a valid reason for that, then the number of clicks should accurately reperesent the relative number of readers, no?

That's the whole basis for the idea of statistics...

Posted by: Matt | October 16, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

mmyy aappoollooggiieess ffoorr tthhee ddoouubbllee ppoosstt.

Posted by: delantero | October 16, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

It is hard to know what those click statistics indicate unless you know how they are collected. If there are 5 articles on the Redskins game and only 1 on the United match, those statistics might mislead one into thinking there is less readership for United than the Redskins because the Post's supply of articles is distorting what the data mean. A more meaningful indicator, for example, might be clicks per article.

Posted by: Markus | October 16, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

d - the opener is the away game which Goff is saying might also be on Thursday night.

Posted by: jmr | October 16, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

While I'd never dispute that the Redskins are the team with the following, I wonder how accurate it is to measure the number of people interested in a sport by clicks on the news articles -- I read everything Goff writes about soccer in the dead tree edition, so have no need to read it on the web, and never click on those stories (although I check here for breaking news). I wonder if that methodology is biased toward sports with daytime games (like baseball or college basketball) that are less compatible with the print schedule? I mostly read sports articles on the web if the story misses the deadline for print or won't appear in print for a significant number of daytime hours after the game.

Posted by: MM | October 16, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

KR in DC says, "DC, MD, or VA...it's not only about where it is, but how it's done...How many people spend money in Landover when going to an event at Fedex Field? I'm willing to bet very, very few."

Excellent point. You can offset the cost of the stadium by making it a destination offering restaurants and other services, but that means a much more involved project that requires serious local-government planning in concert with the team's plans for the stadium itself. If the team can't get that from the DC government, they need to make sure that they can get that from the local governments in any of the burbs. The skins didn't get that in Landover, hence FedEx is the antithesis of Camden Yards -- I've never spent a single dollar in PG going to a skins game, and likely never will.

The argument for moving to anywhere in MD is no different than the argument for moving to anywhere in VA. Once you get out of a central DC location that's accessible to people from all three jurisdictions, you start losing customers. Alot of people complain about moving to Dulles for games, but there are a lot of us in VA who won't be attending DCU games if they move to MD. The team has to figure out which individual deal makes the most sense, and go with it. They can't make everyone happy, but they better make a decision soon, because these Pros-Joes deals are going to get much worse at RFK next year.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | October 16, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

HUH? I JUST BOUGHT TIX FOR A HOME GAME on THURSDAY NOV 1!!!

What gives?!@
--------------------------

What gives is Nov 1 is TWO weeks from thursday. DC plays the SECOND leg at home on Nov 1. :-)

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Re: Maryland,

It's better than it was three days ago. United now has two Ward chiefs--and a negotiating chip.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

ugh, my multi-tasking today isn't going so well

4 days off doesn't seem right for UNITED, but we've been doing this crazy schedule all year.

Posted by: d | October 16, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Once more Nakamura juxtaposes figures of $150K and $350K in the same paragraph, when MacFarlane is planning to make a total investment that is close to $1B, not $150M.

Posted by: Section 410 | October 16, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Franchot will be credited with an assist on reviving Poplar Point.

Posted by: Eric | October 16, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

The incomplete presentation of facts is what drove RSL stadium supporters nuts in Salt Lake City.

Posted by: seahawkdad | October 16, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Broadcasting and P.A. Request: When speaking of the organization, please refer to the team as either "D.C. United" or "United," but not "the D.C. United" or "the United." We appreciate your cooperation.

on today's email

Posted by: Paul | October 16, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Maryland knows how to draw teams and build stadiums, you've got to give them credit. They're no fools, unlike DC.

I'll go wherever the stadium is. Who really cares if it's in this city if no one in the city government really wants the team.

Posted by: Hacksaw | October 16, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I second the greatness of the pictures, much appreciated from someone who couldn't make the game. (My favorite is #10, Wanchope looks like Manute Bol guarding Fred).

Posted by: danj | October 16, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TCompton | October 16, 2007 5:24 PM | Report abuse

If they want a place that's readily accessible to DC, MD, and VA then Ft. Washington/Ocon Hill is actually a pretty good choice. I don't know if there's land out there to support another major building project but it is easily assesible from all three locales. The lack of Metro is a big problem that may be insurmoutable.

Posted by: Omar | October 16, 2007 5:51 PM | Report abuse

RE: MM and Dan K

"I wonder how accurate it is to measure the number of people interested in a sport by clicks on the news articles"

I think you're on to something. We have two different kinds of fanbases here--Redskins (national) and United (local).

Locals often get directly, or have access to, the dead tree paper. No need to click. Thus, local articles will underperform when measured by online clicks. Ergo, DC United articles do not match the blog in terms of hits.

There are MANY people across the country who want to view Redskins articles from the Post however--ergo, so they click, as the paper is not available.

I, for example, live in LA and cannot get the dead tree edition of the Post, so i drive up the United articles slightly.

Do the 'skins have a larger fanbase? Duh. But in terms of local fans, I don't think that clicks is a reliable measure of interest.

Posted by: viv | October 16, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

60 yds of NFL lines on the field? I didn't think there could be a worse looking thing that playing on a gridiron field but they just found it.
Is DC trying to drive you guys out? You really need your own stadium. Like REALLY need one. Bridgeview is a c-hair outside of Chicago but it's SOOO much better than playing on a dopey looking gridiron field.
Good luck in getting a new stadium, ladies & gents.

Posted by: papa bear | October 16, 2007 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Nakamura's story is the stadium news of the day. I am sure it will be updated with comment from others later tonight.

Posted by: Goff | October 16, 2007 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg on Justin Moose's extracurricular activity.

Does this count as soccer in the click/hit controversy?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | October 16, 2007 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else think that the United stadium would go great in Silver Spring (as others have previously said, a SSSSS). It's an up and coming area looking for economic development and it's on the Red Line.

Can anyone say Discovery Field?

Posted by: Bret | October 16, 2007 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I was at the RFK aux field before my high school game and some RFK officials let a group of us enter the stadium and look at the Pros vs. Joes set up. The football lines do not seem to be 60 yards. The basketball court seems neat. It was a great experience to go inside the stadium with hardly anybody in it.
I really like RFK and despite how badly I want a new stadium, I will miss it a lot.

Posted by: Bishop Ireton | October 16, 2007 8:02 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

Those kinds of comments are plain stupid. Like guns aren't available in DC or MD.

Posted by: steve-o | October 16, 2007 8:19 PM | Report abuse

_________________________________________

But where specifically? Land in the commercial district near the Metro station will be expensive. That area is also surrounded by residential neighborhoods, which is a formula for NIMBY-type opposition. I suspect that the most likely sites will be in parkland or industrial zones where there is some sort of buffer between the stadium and nearby neighborhoods; i.e, that aren't really in anyone's backyard.

Posted by: Section 410 | October 16, 2007 8:20 PM | Report abuse

By the way, thanks to Nakamura for quoting the parts of Franchot's letter that outlined the economic benefits to Maryland.

Having that out in public has got to help.

Posted by: seahawkdad | October 16, 2007 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Although I would be heart broken to see DC United leave, I don't see a problem for them moving to either MD or VA as long as the stadium is built inside the Beltway, and Metro accessible. It would be neat to see a soccer stadium in Bethesda, Rockville, Arlington, or Alexandria. I think it should be built in an urban landscape, and not somewhere were we will ave to drive 25 to 30 miles to get to like Chicago and FC Dallas. I hope everyone realizes, that the DC gov't is filled with a bunch of amateurs, and its leadership has been lacking since the Federal gov't allowed DC to rule itself. When thinking about it, out of all the mayors that it has had, Mayor Williams comes the closest to being the most competent, and that is not really saying a lot. Man, the DC gov't sure has a lot to learn about bringing in money to the city.

Back to the team. I am nervous that we may have lost a little bit of our MoJo. Not too pleased with some of our ties. The we played against Chicago makes me a little scared if we have to face them in the playoffs. They always seem to have our number. Here's hoping that it is not the case.

Posted by: DC United Fan | October 16, 2007 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone say Discovery Field?

Remember that Peter Franchot is from Takoma Park. My guess is he wants the field in his home town.... Vamos T.P. United!

Posted by: Kensington, MD | October 16, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Takoma Park will be great and is only 3 seconds from DC, or Hyattsville 4 seconds, metro red or green, do we need something else?

Posted by: tin | October 16, 2007 10:31 PM | Report abuse

How to lie with web statistics:

Posted by: Oscar | October 16, 2007 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: emanon | October 16, 2007 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Most of the statistics about the "economic benefits" of a stadium to a city or state are moonshine. The revival of the area around the MCI Center is one of the best examples of that kind of synergy, but it's also one of the very best cases. Most stadiums wind up like FedEx - people get in their cars at home, get out to go to the game and go straight home with no dollars spent outside the stadium. Let's face it, who has any money left after they leave the stadium.

It would take a lot of careful planning to get L'estade United to drive something similar to the Chinatown revival in Poplar Point. MacFarlane may be able to pull that off, but the odds aren't good.

Posted by: stuck in 200s | October 16, 2007 11:17 PM | Report abuse

"10 people click on 3 Redskins stories in todays editions of the Post = 90 clicks for redskins stories today. 10 people click on *maybe* one United story in today's edition of the Post = 10 click for united stories today."

I watch a lot of MLS, believe me, but if you think the ratio of people who pay attention to the Skins to people who pay attention to United is anything less than 50:1, you're delusional.

Posted by: Don K | October 16, 2007 11:25 PM | Report abuse

my question with Gros likely not playing the rest of the season then why rush him back a month or so ago? his situation was tenuous at best and it didn't make much sense too put him back in the United lineup at future risk to him and his future with the club

Posted by: diego r. | October 16, 2007 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Takoma Park is one of the most un-development friendly places in Maryland. You have to petition the city government to remove a tree from your yard, for crying out loud!

Posted by: Bill in Md. | October 17, 2007 12:30 AM | Report abuse

First, Pro's vs. Joe's messing up a brand new pitch. Wow I knew the District Administration and Stadium authority struggled for intelligence, But this is ridiculous. As for the new stadium, DC should be embarrased. This team wants to pay for its own stadium and develop one the most neglected areas of the city. Yet they have no problem paying for a stadium for a hand me down Baseball team. WOW! Please don't distinguish the nation's capitol by having a beautiful stadium actually in the city that might revolutionize an entire ward.
4 = 2+2
Fenty = Mental Midget

Posted by: Real fan | October 17, 2007 2:52 AM | Report abuse

"Hopefully Franchot will be credited with an assist on reviving Poplar Point.

Posted by: Eric | October 16, 2007 04:59 PM"

Under the MLS scoring system, both Franchot and his mother would get assists.

I think we'd all prefer the stadium to be in the District. But if it's in MD or VA and still Metro accessible -- and I mean really Metro accessible -- I'll take it.

In the mean time, I might consider moving nearby the stadium, taking my vote and tax dollars out of DC.

Posted by: Joe S. | October 17, 2007 4:52 AM | Report abuse

Bill in Md.

____________________

And praise Allah for that!

As a resident, I can't think of where such a stadium would go here. My hunch is no where. Now, what about near the Prince George's Metro station? By the Prince George's mall? Seems like there's a lot space in there--though they have been building like crazy in that area.

My first choice is still to build it where RFK is.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 17, 2007 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Don K., what makes you think that whatever bid wins for poplar point isn't going to cost 300m in infrastructure? Obviously we won't know until Fenty selects the one that gives the most to his reelection campai -er- provides the best option, but I hope that whatever wins has parkland and 30% mixed income housing like the MacFarlane deal has.

Also, you are probably right about the small but vocal thing. The funny thing about all of this is subtract the stadium from the deal and the deal should STILL go to MacFarlane.

Posted by: DCAustinite | October 17, 2007 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I know it's being developed by someone else, but perhaps Victor can scare the DC gov't a little more and sidle up with next to the National Harbor project:

Posted by: Logan Circle | October 17, 2007 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Just because I haven't seen anyone link to it.

Posted by: NamelessFaceless | October 17, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Still, a move to Takoma could lead to an easy re-name: Takoma Park Rangers.

Posted by: TPR | October 17, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Logan, I thought of that, but I checked Google Earth, and it looked like that project was well underway. Would've been a great fit, though.

Posted by: RK | October 17, 2007 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Let's stop the insanity in dealing with D.C. Government. It's time to call the General 1.800.745.2685.

They supply high quality steel buildings all over the country and in other parts of the world. Their knowledgeable staff would be happy to talk to DCU management regarding their steel building needs.

Would've saved more compared to all that investment funding blown. And if they act now they might get a free building price quote.

Posted by: Charlton Heston | October 17, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

National Harbor is well underway, but there is still PLENTY of undeveloped land there. And it's already got the restaurants and high end retail and hotels that would benefit economically from a stadium nearby.

Inner Harbor : Orioles :: National Harbor : United

There's no Metro, but there are already going to be ferries back and forth from Alexandria.

Posted by: Shatz | October 18, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse