United News & Notes

Another autumn day, another......

Yeah, yeah, you know the rest.

Indeed, training was closed again today. Big deal. Insider loyalists already know the deal: Moreno will start, Emilio will probably start. Right, Tommy?

"Everything's right on schedule," Soehn said.

So you foresee them available to play 90 minutes?

"They could be in the 18" -- meaning, the game-day roster.

So you're optimistic they will be ready to give a performance you are accustomed to?

"I am very optimistic they will be in the 18."

Okay then, so that's settled.

Emilio told me he feels good and, with another 24 hours to prepare, should be ready to go.

Not much else to share at the moment. Good weather and a crowd of around 20,000 expected. If United advances, they will defintely host the Eastern Conference final against the Revs or Bulls next Thursday (the Western final would be next Saturday). I hear our man Steinberg will have an item on United soon.

Plenty to read about in Thursday's print edition (available late tonight on washingtonpost.com).

On the MLS front, Chivas USA's Brad Guzan won the goalkeeper of the year award. Well deserved, in my opinion. And New England defender Michael Parkhurst was given the Fair Play honor after committing only five fouls (really?? wow) and receiving no cards during the regular season.

By Steve Goff  |  October 31, 2007; 1:37 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boo!
Next: Ellinger Hired

Comments

5 fouls and no cards...that's Pope-like

Posted by: Matt | October 31, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Thumbs down on the Thursday night playoff games. It's OK for regular season (sort of) but playoff games should be on the weekend (i.e. Saturday night.)

Posted by: Doppler | October 31, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Agreed.

I understand the want to give soccer primetime exposure, but would not this game draw a number at least 125% of the current expected attendance if it was on Saturday?

Posted by: I-66 | October 31, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

what's the point of closing the practices? it wasn't like it was a secret that jaime and emilio were hurt and no going to start last week. and seems like everyone knows they're at full strength for tomorrow.

Posted by: pat | October 31, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

As a defender, I think that Parkhurst is highly overrated. Let me preface this by stating that I won't argue with him winning this award, but as for the Defender of the Year award, I don't think he should win. Again, I'm not arguing he's even an average player, he's still a good MLS defender considering MLS lacks many studs in the back, and Parkhurst did have a good year (I also still laugh at the notion that Boswell, much as I love him, was the best defender in MLS last season). However, people constantly sing praise about his positioning and reading of the game. Well let me tell you he's protected by good defensive midfielders in Larentowicz and Joseph and that he really isn't that great with his reading of the game yet. He can get there but his value is vastly overstated. I'd be very surprised to see him in a USMNT kit anytime soon.

Oh yeah, go United!

Posted by: El Duderino | October 31, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

You close practice to have the team focus and avoid any unnecessary distractions.

Posted by: Chico | October 31, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

You saying Goff is a distraction??
Hmmmm, certainly not unnecessary.......I'd just about go crazy without the Soccer Insider.

Posted by: marksman | October 31, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Steve Goff isn't a distraction but the Univison guys and their camera crews or Wynalda and ESPN or Kelli Johnson or Veronica Paysee (now THAT'S a MAJOR distraction)or any assorted media even from Chicago might be.

Posted by: Chico | October 31, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

"...I won't argue with him winning this award, but as for the Defender of the Year award, I don't think he should win..."

-------------------

Aren't we contrary today? ;)

Posted by: is he or isn't he | October 31, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Fair Play + Defender of the Year = 2 different awards

Posted by: emanon | October 31, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Cobi Jones should have gotten fairplay. While 5 fouls over a season is impressive, it doesn't compare with 0 red cards over 11 seasons. He's retiring: give the guy a trophy.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 31, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

cobi jones can suck it!!

Posted by: myt! | October 31, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I agree with el duderino on this one. Parkhurst has made some critical misjudgements (being personally culpable for goals given up in the '05 and '06 EC semis against NY, for example) that just go ignored.

For the record, MLSnet has Jair Marrufo listed as the ref tomorrow night.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 31, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Cobi Jones has very pretty hair...
But his mother is a -----
And he can't score any GOOOOAAAAAALS!

Oh, and he's a dirty little hack. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Posted by: AlecW81 | October 31, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Duderino, but you're completely wrong on this one.
There is no better defender in MLS than Michael Parkhurst. End of story.

Posted by: fig | October 31, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Five fouls and no cards for a central defender over 30 games is unreal. The USMNT is pretty deep at center back, but I'd like to see Parkhurst get more chances at the international level.

Posted by: Jeff M | October 31, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Closed practiccd is so United can practice their trick plays--reverses, statue of liberty, direct snaps, etc. Duh!

Posted by: UVA to RFK | October 31, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Count me in with the "no playoffs on Thursdays" brigade. By 8pm EST on Saturdays, at least one of the ESPN channels usually isn't showing pointy ball anymore.

Posted by: Juan-John | October 31, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

anybody else get this DC United stadium survey email? Very interesting. Looks like the sites under consideration are RFK, "somewhere else in DC", "New Carrollton (near FedEx Field)", Greenbelt/College Park, Silver Spring/Rockville, Springfield/Newington, Alexandria, and Herndon/Sterling/Dulles. Those are in addition to Poplar Point.

Posted by: Glenn | October 31, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm getting nervous. The last time I saw a DC United-Fire game the score was 0-4 and the guys in black were drawing Boo's from the very unhappy crowd. Please tell me this time will be a lot different.

Posted by: Freddie B | October 31, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

fig-

End of story? Parkhurst is the best in MLS at what he does (play the middle of a back three), but I believe Claudio Suarez has actually been head and shoulders above all other MLS defenders. I can see having the opinion that Parkhurst was better, but treating it like it's not even worth debating is just silly.

Not fouling is admirable, but not necessarily a requirement. Parkhurst never gives away freekicks near the NE box, which is great for them. However, his lack of size can be easily found out if the marking backs on either side of him are not on their game. With the slow and enjoyable decline of Jay Heaps, this has shown itself a bit more often. Parkhurst has to man mark more often than he should, and he is almost always smaller than the man he's up against.

I think that Parkhurst was better last year, to be frank. His weaknesses were more often covered by others, allowing him to shine.

I don't want to come across like some sort of demented Parkhurst hater, but I do think he gets praise for things that aren't true and that people often miss his mistakes. He's still a very good defender. For me, though, it's got to be Suarez for Defender of the Year.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 31, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Any Chance ESPN2 will do a 30 minute pre-game show like they did last week and not kick off until 8:00?

Posted by: Keenan | October 31, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I may have just answered my own question because DirecTV has the game scheduled from 7:30-10:00, so kick-off definitely will not be until 8:00 (or so I assume).

Posted by: Keenan | October 31, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Telecast starts at 7:30, kick off is 7:45

Posted by: Chico | October 31, 2007 5:46 PM | Report abuse

What about Chicago? Are they nursing any injuries? Any radical reboot to their lineup being considered for leg 2(Wanchope for Rolfe)? Maybe we can take Blanco out for drinks tonight or get him some undercooked poultry...

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | October 31, 2007 6:28 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------

For anyone who saw "Once in a Lifetime," the documentary about the New York Cosmos that was shown in theaters and later on ESPN about a year ago, this would not be such a farfetched scenario.

Posted by: 22201 | October 31, 2007 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Get out your metro maps and take a look. I think Herndon or Rockville would do the most damage to a current fan's attendance. DC sites are the best overall, but New Carrolton might be a good option.

Posted by: towson | October 31, 2007 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Time to speculate! If, as Goff predicts, we go to penalties, who do you choose to take them, and in what order? England didn't think too much about it before the Argentina match in '98 (David Batty? Seriously?) and look where it got them. Mine goes like this: Gomez-Fred-Burch-Emilio-Moreno. If necessary: Simms-Olsen-Namoff-McTadger-Perkins-Boz/Vanney. What do you guys think?

Posted by: grotus | November 1, 2007 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Cobi Jones has very pretty hair...
But his mother is a -----
And he can't score any GOOOOAAAAAALS!

Posted by: AlecW81 | October 31, 2007 03:31 PM

-------------------

Except the 9 he scored in EPL (in 28 games!)... and the 70+ in MLS... and the 15 for the USMNT...

I'm not a Cobi fan, nor a Cobi hater, but yer lyrics are wack.

Posted by: edgeonyou | November 1, 2007 9:04 AM | Report abuse

His mother is a prostitute though, which is the main point of that song.

It's science.

Posted by: Goose | November 1, 2007 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else get the D.C. United Stadium Survey email today?

While I live in Loudoun, I listed the District as my preferred sites. Please do the same.

Posted by: Soy United! | November 1, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

From Wikipedia:

Cobi Jones
Personal information
Full name Cobi N'Gai Jones
Date of birth June 16, 1970 (1970-06-16) (age 37)
Place of birth Detroit, MI, United States
Height 5 ft 7 in (1.7 m)
Playing position Midfielder
Club information
Current club Los Angeles Galaxy
Number 13
Youth clubs
1988-91 UCLA
Senior clubs1
Years Club App (Gls)*
1994-95
1996
1996-2007; Coventry City
Vasco da Gama
Los Angeles Galaxy 028 0(9)
024 0(5)
305 (70)
National team2
1992-2004 United States 164 (15)

N'Gai?

Posted by: Soy United! | November 1, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

His mother is a prostitute though, which is the main point of that song.
Posted by: Goose | November 1, 2007 09:14 AM
----------------

Isn't that true of every visiting player (and fans who don't jump)?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | November 1, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

As of late morning, Ticketmaster was still not offering upper-deck seats. (I finally broke down and got mezzanine seats yesterday.) That may be an indication of how ticket sales are going.

Posted by: 22201 | November 1, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

For those not on DCU's mailing list, here is the stadium survey: http://www.turnkeyintel.com/surveyor/default.aspx?sid=dcunited

Posted by: KR in DC | November 1, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

with regard to who takes PKs if it comes to that I think Vanney probably goes closer to the top of the list. I believe he used to be the PK taker for other teams he has played on. I remember how Carroll buried his PK against NE all those years ago too. Just don't let Olsen near the ball until absolutely necessary. :-)

Posted by: Glenn | November 1, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Re: Cobi

It's easy to not get red cards when you don't even start anymore

Posted by: DCUMD | November 1, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Glenn | November 1, 2007 12:05 PM

Everyone crows about Greg Vanney's "vaunted left foot" too, we've yet to see it. Let's hope they've practiced PK's this week and whoever looked good gets the nod.

Still no word on Chicago's team?

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | November 1, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

is the game tonight behind closed doors?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 1, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Goffinho,

No gameday update? I'm jonesing. It's 1:15pm, 6.5 hours to kickoff!!!!

>Anyone else get the D.C. United Stadium
>Survey email today?
>While I live in Loudoun, I listed the
>District as my preferred sites. Please do
>the same.

Vote DC! Work for whoever runs against Fenty (as a DC resident)! Of all the non-DC choices, I agree New Carrollton and maybe Greenbelt are okay. But Reston? Fagedaboutit.

Posted by: gallegoscot | November 1, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse