Angel or Emilio?

MLS will unveil the 2007 most valuable player around 4 p.m. today at ESPN Zone in Washington (ESPNews will carry it live). Let's assume that Cuauhtemoc Blanco, one of the three finalists, is not going to win since he only played half of a season. Which leaves New York's Juan Pablo Angel and D.C.'s Luciano Emilio. The United striker led the league in scoring and was probably the most important player on the best team during the regular season, but Angel accumulated nearly as many goals and more assists in fewer matches on a mediocre club.

The question(s): Who should win and who will win?

While you are pondering those thoughts, catch up on today's reading. (And join me later for updates from the MVP ceremony.)

My front-page story is about Houston's Nate Jaqua and his father, Jon, a former Redskin who will be back at RFK to watch his son play a different form of football and attempt to win a championship.

The Globe profiles Avery John and the Chronicle looks at tough guy Craig Waibel.

By Steve Goff  |  November 15, 2007; 8:59 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hop on the Bus, Gus
Next: MVP Watch: Emilio

Comments

Great articles on the Jacquas - Goff! Thanks for the Cup-related stories.

Posted by: Mickey | November 15, 2007 9:14 AM | Report abuse

The best player on the best team deserves it. But the MLS wanks will probably give it to Angel. Not the first time a player from NJ takes one away from our guys.

(yeah, I'm still bitter about '04)

Posted by: DirtyHarry | November 15, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Ditto on the Jaqua story, nice stuff. . . your editors couldn't resist a Redskin/soccer story could they?

Anything to get us on the front page!!

Posted by: delantero | November 15, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

How many PKs did each have...
The fewer games arguement goes out the window when one takes PKs and one does not.

Posted by: jgildea | November 15, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Goffiño, is it a coincidence the MVP is going to be announced in DC because of MLS Cup, or is it because Emilio has it in the bag?

Posted by: Emilio for MVP | November 15, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

it's a hard call on MVP. does cost come into effect? DC start slow and then when Emilio got his scoring touch, we shot up through the table. NY started off great, but then dwindled. JPA still scratched and fought for him. I think without Emilio we would've been a completely different team. Without JPA, NY still would've been subpar. I'm not sure.

Posted by: antonio | November 15, 2007 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Cost per goal:

Emilio $300,000/20 = $15,000

Angel $1,500,000/19 = $78,947

EMILIO HAS TO WIN.

Posted by: delantero | November 15, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse

------

Coincides with the league's MLS Cup festivities in D.C.

Posted by: Goff | November 15, 2007 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Emilio is the MVP. Garber said so in Seattle when he said: "Our Golden Boot winner, our MVP" when describing Emilio. Clearly he was letting slip today's news.

Posted by: David in Cambridge, MA | November 15, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I don't like the MVP concept. Should simply be player of the year and goes to the best player in the league in that particular season.

Posted by: roots | November 15, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I'm still bitter too Harry. Guevarra stealing Jaime's MVP trophy was the biggest heist out of Jersey since the Goodfellas hit the Lufthansa hanger in '75.

Posted by: Chico | November 15, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

ASS out of U and ME?

We assumed Brian Hall wouldn't be referee of the year, too.

Posted by: UVA to RFK | November 15, 2007 9:34 AM | Report abuse

no no delantero. this is for the most VALUABLE player. that means most expensive, like if a piece of jewelry is valuable, it costs more.

Posted by: moses | November 15, 2007 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I assume they give it to Angel, then give Emilio the "Newcomer of the Year" award. Which is like getting the Miss Congeniality award...

BTW, I was surprised, (or did I miss?) by the lack of ACC Soccer tourney coverage in the print edition?? Big games by Md., UVA, and VT don't warrant coverage?

Posted by: JkR | November 15, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

------

Honestly, there are no "big games" in college soccer until the ncaa tournament starts. our coverage will pick up once the locals begin ncaa play.

Posted by: Goff | November 15, 2007 9:43 AM | Report abuse

""that means most expensive, like if a piece of jewelry is valuable, it costs more.""

you're right, i'm absolutely mistaken .

anyone seen my 84 carat diamond I picked up yesterday?

Posted by: d | November 15, 2007 9:43 AM | Report abuse

What's the story behind Burch's knee surgery? Is Benny's ankle surgery a no-big-deal-clean-it-out-a-little-bit or, given his history, is there some concern?

Posted by: Postmaster | November 15, 2007 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: roots | November 15, 2007 09:28 AM
------------------------

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
--Stratford Town FC supporter William Shakespeare.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | November 15, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Lisa: A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
Bart: Not if you called 'em stench blossoms.
Homer: Or crapweeds.
Marge: I'd sure hate to get a dozen crapweeds for Valentine's Day. I'd rather have candy.
Homer: Not if they were called scumdrops.

Posted by: EdTheRed | November 15, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Goff | November 15, 2007 09:43 AM

==========
"Big game" = It was discussed on "Soccer Insider"

I wasn't looking for a minute by minute of these games, just a box score.

Thanks for all your work online!

Posted by: JkR | November 15, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

To say that Blanco won't win because he was only here for half a season dismisses the fact that he is in the running as a finalist. Obviously, the "league" felt he was a worthy candidate.
So, who votes on these things anyway? Not the press like MLB, I guess?

Posted by: marksman | November 15, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Most MLS awards are decided by voting of players, coaches, GMs and media.

Posted by: Goff | November 15, 2007 10:02 AM | Report abuse

It pains me, as a United supporter, to say that Angel should probably win. He pretty much single-footedly put the MetroSuck into the playoffs, and when he went out, so did they. That team is absolute garbage without him. Luci is a great asset to us, but we don't rely on him as desperately as NY does on Angel, and he delivered when they needed it. Not by much, but Angel gets my vote.

Posted by: Grotus | November 15, 2007 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I agree, Goff -- keep news of the UVa loss from spreading. Thanks!

Posted by: RK | November 15, 2007 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Postmaster | November 15, 2007 09:45 AM

What's the story with this link to some lame two paragraph story from the AP? Are you Spamming?

Posted by: Death to Spam | November 15, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

We didn't rely on Luci?! Did you even watch the first Chicago playoff game?

Posted by: DirtyHarry | November 15, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I think Pablo Angel will "win" it. Because a) Emilio won the top scorer award and b) DC (and Emilio in particular) didn't exactly light it up in the playoffs.

Posted by: Bart | November 15, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Jaqua should be suspended for the final. If the MLS referees committee or whatever its called had any balls, they would have given him a suspension for that forearm shiver he laid on Jewsbury.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | November 15, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

The playoffs have no bearing on the MVP.

Posted by: Chico | November 15, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Washington, D.C. - D.C. United announced today details of successful surgical procedures for midfielder Ben Olsen and defender Marc Burch. Olsen underwent bilateral ankle surgery on Monday to remove bone spurs and scar tissue that had been the source of pain for the past two seasons. Dr. Lew Schon, a foot and ankle specialist at Greater Chesapeake Surgery Center in Lutherville, MD, performed the procedure. Burch had successful arthroscopic surgery to the left knee today to remove irratated plica. Team physician Dr. Chris Annunziata, of Commonwealth Orthopedics, performed the surgery. Both players are expected to fully recover for the start of the 2008 preseason.
"United played a lot of soccer this year and these procedures were necessary as a result of wear and tear on the players' bodies," said United General Manager Dave Kasper. "We're pleased that both surgeries were a success and we look forward to Benny and Marc continuing their high-level play in 2008."

Posted by: emanon | November 15, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Loved the Jaqua story, and I agree with Eric. That was a dirty shot he gave Jewsbury.

Your editors, by the way, ought to recognize that context would have made 'sight' more fitting than 'site' in the Jaqua story.

Posted by: seahawkdad | November 15, 2007 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Well there you go. Quotations from Shakespeare and Matt Groening. This is the most well-rounded blog on washingtonpost.com. I bet we could kick the crap out of the other blogs in Jeopardy.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | November 15, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

1. Loved the Jaqua story. I remember watching (and rooting) for Jon Jaqua. He was a head hunter on special teams before George Allen arrived. Ironically, I recall him having a similar problem to what I believe Quaranta suffered from--a groin muscle detached from the pubic bone (but Jaqua played all season on it).

2. I was originally in favor of Angel winning the MVP. But I've changed my thinking. TFKAM won without Angel (ie: April before he arrived). They were a mediocre team when he was there. I'm not blaming it on him, only pointing out that the success of that team didn't seem very Angel-dependent. OTOH, if you look at DCU, when Emilio was hurt or off-form, this was not a successful team--PERIOD. Separate from Golden Boot winners, Emilio was more important to DCU's success than Angel was to his team.

Posted by: JoeW | November 15, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Angel will unfortunately win it so that MLS can extoll as to the virtues of its newly implemented DP rule.

Posted by: Oliver | November 15, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Wouldn't giving Angel the best newcomer award also highlight the DP rule ?

Posted by: emanon | November 15, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

That DP rule helped out the final two teams...

Posted by: RK | November 15, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I think Emilio wins it, if only because no one wants to reward NY's owners for being such idiots...

Posted by: Hacksaw | November 15, 2007 11:05 AM | Report abuse

DC + Emilio > RBNY + Angel
DC - Emilio Emilio = MVP QED

"I bet we could kick the crap out of the other blogs in Jeopardy."

With the penchance for floridity and circumlocution exhibited in our loquasious and recondite repartees, we'd excell at scrabble vis a vis our less cerebral corrivals.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | November 15, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully I'm reading the writing on the wall correctly that Emilio will win it. My thought is that MLS gave Angel the "newcomer of the year award" because they feel that he deserves to win SOMETHING. The newcomer award should be like the MVP honorable mention here. Emilio wins it.

Posted by: Shatz / DCUMD | November 15, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

As a bunch of posts call-out, Angel carried the NYRB's into the play-offs. While Luci was obviously an essential component to the offense, DCU could look to a punch of other offensive threats on the field. Another illustration of how DCU is really more valuable as a team rather than a collection of players. Rev's and Dynamo can make the same claim.

Ironically, MLS's highlight culture kind of misses this distinction through-out every season (not just during this Year of Beckham). For example, the goal of the week candidates are always almost exclusively individual efforts; however, so many of DCU's most beutiful goals are initiated by one player, assisted by another player and scored by another different player. Beautiful stuff that doesn't make the highlight reel....

Posted by: Mickey | November 15, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Crap. My blog ate my homework.

DC + Emilio IS GREATER THAN RBNY + Angel
DC - Emilio IS LESS THAN RBNY - Angel
Emilio = MVP QED

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | November 15, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

"Wouldn't giving Angel the best newcomer award also highlight the DP rule ?"

Blanco is newer than Angel. So he'll get that award.

Posted by: Tommie | November 15, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Most MLS awards are decided by voting of players, coaches, GMs and media.

Posted by: Goff | November 15, 2007 10:02 AM

-------------
OK Goff, so if "media" voted, who did you vote for?

Posted by: David | November 15, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I think Emilio should get it because he was absolutely essential to DC's winning of the Supporters' Shield. Without him, we wouldn't have won it.

RBNY didn't win anything with Angel, and they could have not won anything without him too.

Posted by: David | November 15, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

@David: I believe the Post prohibits their writers from voting in things that are open to the media. You know, in order to maintain objectivity.

It seems a bit silly to me, since I think Goff can easily give an opinion and stay objective, but as I recall, Post writers can't vote on HoF inducteed, College Top 25 polls, all of that.

Posted by: This is D | November 15, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I thought Jaqua's forearm shiver on Jewsbury was very reminiscent of the early 70's Redskins. His dad must've been proud!

Great article by the way!

Posted by: jj | November 15, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't Mike Wilbon on the HOF commitee?

Posted by: Chico | November 15, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Angel took his team's PKs. Emilio didn't.

Posted by: Bootsy | November 15, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Off Topic:

I meant to post this the other day... I thought the Eskandarian video was a riot. I had to bite my lip to keep from cracking up in the office (then all my colleagues would KNOW I'm not doing work). It's very cool of Esky to come back and have fun with the DC office despite getting traded. A true demonstration that there are no hard feelings on either side. It shows real character and FUN on the part of Bobby B, Esky, the office, and the video production crew.

Also, they totally played us. I think someone from the production crew planted the "Is Esky back?" post on this blog, and we all fell for it. Bobby, Esky, DC office, if you're reading this... thumbs up for a good one!

Posted by: David | November 15, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I AM THE LEAGUE MVP. WHO ELSE HAS A SUPER-COOL BLOG LIKE I DO WHERE THE ONLY THING I ALLOW TO BE POSTED ON IT ARE PEOPLE WHO PRAISE ME AND MY GOOD LOOKS.

Posted by: Bobby Boswell | November 15, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Another video posted on BB.com - no prank this time - just the team saying thanks to the fans

Posted by: Anonymous | November 15, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Kyle Sheldon, United's communications guru, and webmaster of BobbyBoswell.com posted the link to Steinberg's blog entry about it, as well as a link to BobbyBoswell.com

Safe to say he's the culprit behind this one... BURN HIM!

Posted by: AlecW81 | November 15, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Goff,
Looks like your blog is up for USSF's best blog contest (something like that). Here is the link:

Go forth loyal insiders!

Posted by: Doze | November 15, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Nice! Thanks for the heads up

You all know how to use the "Submit Vote" button, right?

;-)

Posted by: Goff | November 15, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Mickey, you're spouting the conventional wisdom on Angel vs. Emilio and I think it's wrong.

DC United simply wasn't impressive at any point during the season when Emilio was either hurt or off-form. You might say that DCU has more star players (Moreno, Olsen, Gomez, etc.) but the reality is that when Emilio was hurt or off-form the team struggled to win.

OTOH, TFKAM had some outstanding play before Angel ever showed up, they had some mediocre play when Angel was on the field and doing well individually. To put it another way, Angels form and play didn't seem to affect TFKAM's results very much. But there was no other reliable goal scorer for DCU if Emilio wasn't there. Addlery? Moreno (mostly PKs)? Kpene? Dyachenko? While TFKAM could turn to Altidore, Mathis, Doe and Wolyniec who all had productive seasons.

Posted by: JoeW | November 15, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to put in a pitch for DCenters as best blog alongside Soccer Insider. (Looks like you can vote twice... early and often?) If you haven't read it, it is probably the best team-based MLS blog. Highly recommended.

Posted by: -K | November 15, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

All this talk of Angel, and how DC had other players. Altidor anyone? Rooting for Emilio but expect the MLS gang giving it to Angel. Bhah!

Posted by: gallegoscot | November 15, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

@Chico: He may still be on the committee, but he can't vote. From Tom Boswell's column a few years ago:

"The Post decided a few years ago that its writers should not vote on awards, including the Hall of Fame. "

Posted by: This is D | November 15, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Esky should come back as our 3rd striker/super sub, he could probably teach Kpene a thing or 2 about striking the ball into the net...

Posted by: Josh | November 15, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

WHO ELSE HAS A SUPER-COOL BLOG LIKE I DO
Posted by: "Bobby Boswell" | November 15, 2007 01:04 PM

********************
Chris Rolfe

Esky

Posted by: Anonymous | November 15, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: -K | November 15, 2007 01:19 PM
------------------

I tried to vote again and the message read "You vote has been changed." So you may have overwritten your vote.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | November 15, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | November 15, 2007 02:35 PM
-----------------------------------------

Did you vote twice from the same computer, or from two different ones (say, home and work)? Would that make any difference?

Posted by: 22201 | November 15, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR | November 15, 2007 09:39 AM
-------------------------------------------

ACC fans can also check out the NCAA field hockey finals at College Park this weekend; there is the possibility of a all-ACC (N. Carolina vs. Wake Forest) final. (The other semifinalists are UConn and Penn State.) Sunday's final match is going up directly against MLS Cup, but some people sound so bummed out by this year's Revs-Dynamo matchup that they might prefer to watch a field hockey game.

Posted by: 22201 | November 15, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I too would like more coverage of Virginia Tech beating Maryland 3-0 in the ACC tournament and UVA losing to BC, but I can be selfish like that sometimes. If soccer has a relatively small audience, chances are college soccer's audience is about as large as the Abby Okulaja fan club. If the ACC tournament were in Maryland things might have been different. I just hope to see some coverage of the big tournament, unless Tech loses to UNC-Greensboro again. Regardless, I plan on being in Cary tomorrow for the BC game.

Posted by: sitruc | November 15, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

The ACC final will be carried live by CSN in the Baltimore/Washington region Sunday at 3:30 p.m. (i.e., post-MLS Cup):

Posted by: 22201 | November 15, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 22201 | November 15, 2007 02:46 PM
-------------

I'm no IT professional or amateur, but I voted twice from the same computer, i.e. the same IP address. So my vote was only counted once. Now I'll go home and vote again. Maybe one can delete the cookie and keep voting. Like I said, I'm no IT person.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | November 15, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse