Gros Considers Retirement

D.C. United midfielder Josh Gros, who suffered three head-related injuries this year, is close to retiring from soccer, several sources familiar with the situation said today.

Through his agent, Gros indicated he might be able to return at some point. "I am thinking about not coming back next year, but have yet to make a final decision," he said in an e-mail through Dan Segal. Gros told his teammates during a meeting this morning that he was considering retirement.

However, it appears very unlikely he will play again and that Gros has begun exploring opportunities outside of soccer. He graduated from Rutgers with an engineering degree.

Gros, 25, was sidelined briefly in April after suffering headaches and dizziness during a Champions' Cup match in Mexico. He experienced problems again in August at Columbus and, after a long layoff, had additional head issues during a Copa Sudamericana game in Mexico in early October. He did not play again.

Gros, a fourth-round draft pick who emerged to become one of United's most reliable players, started 101 regular season games in four years and had nine goals and 14 assists.

By Steve Goff  |  November 5, 2007; 3:41 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: This Just In.....
Next: Bermuda Shorts

Comments

This is more of a 6, not 7...

Posted by: Ed | November 5, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

(Sigh) I was hoping for good news. Good luck Josh!

Posted by: DuPont Mike | November 5, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Depressing.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 5, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Unlucky for Gros.

Posted by: -- | November 5, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

That sucks.....

Best not to take any chances with the ol' noggin.....

Posted by: Roy Stevens | November 5, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

:-(

Posted by: EdTheRed | November 5, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Aw, that sucks. Not the kind of news I was hoping for. Awful tease, Goff.

Good luck to Gros and whatever he decides.

Posted by: MemRook | November 5, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

---------
Gros to Retire?
---------

Does breaking news always have a question mark?

Posted by: in the process of breaking | November 5, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I guess he can go run a marathon now.

Posted by: Brian | November 5, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Gook luck to Josh. He's a talented player but clearly has a lot of other options outside of the game. He was one of my favorites for DCU on account of his commitment and tireless work ethic. Sad news indeed.

Posted by: tmc | November 5, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

What is Gros' contract status?

Posted by: Contract Status? | November 5, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

any idea whether United will keep him in an office role or some sort of affiliation with the team?

Maybe a personal trainer to keep bos motivated?? Run him into the ground in case he gets lippy??

Posted by: Anonymous | November 5, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

A very wise decision. Thanks for the memories Josh, your (good) judgment remains intact.

Posted by: griffin1108 | November 5, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like a good decision, there's a lot more to life than kicking ball.

Posted by: ted | November 5, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

This really sucks, but it's probably the right decision. Good luck to Gros in his pursuits off the field.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | November 5, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Fare thee well, Joshua!!

Posted by: marksman | November 5, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

If'en you do retire from the game, Thank you for all your efforts...

Good luck

Posted by: Cashous | November 5, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

This sucks. Gros is a class guy - hopefully they'll find a miracle cure and we can see him in a DCU kit again.

Posted by: Blondie | November 5, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I would think a guy with an engineering degree who only made $75,000 this year playing professional soccer would have an easy decision to make. I am sure love for the game would come into the equation, but still. I dont see the sense in gambling on ones long term health and quality of life in this case. Hang em' up and live well.

Posted by: Graig | November 5, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

So I presume he isn't going to go to OCS and be a Marine.....

Posted by: Lost in BA | November 5, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

All good things come to an end, I guess. Besta luck to Gros in whatever he chooses to do.

Like, say, be hired as Red Bulls head coach... :-}

Posted by: Juan-John | November 5, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

We all wanted some good news sooooo bad, and them wham! kicked in the gut by Goff.

Posted by: jgildea | November 5, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I really liked Josh Gross. Good player, and you always had 100% total commitment from him. I hope that he takes a year off, sees a specialist at Harvard Medical Cental or the Cleveland Clinic and comes back.

Posted by: Sad day | November 5, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Total shame.

I always enjoyed the effort he brought to the game. Sad to see him go out this way, however it is a sensible decision.

Good luck to Josh!

Posted by: Mike (From LA) | November 5, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Josh. May you find success in whatever you decide to pursue and thanks for a solid four years wearing a United shirt.

Posted by: Bill-DC | November 5, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

My $.02 is that the, "I am thinking about not coming back next year, but have yet to make a final decision," is his final contribution to the team in allowing him to stay on the roster and be unprotected the expansion draft.

Thank you for all your years of hard work...good luck in your future endeavors.

Posted by: Henchlow | November 5, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

i always enjoyed watching josh play. he brings an energy to the game that is hard to come by. at one point i even thought he had a future with the USMNT.

good luck josh. you had a nice little career with DCU in 4 short yrs (championships, all stars, USMNT callups, high profile friendlies). i'm very jealous.

Posted by: hokie soccer fan | November 5, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Good Luck Josh! You will definitely be missed. I would love to see you back in a DCU kit someday. Thanks for your tireless workrate!

Posted by: Kris | November 5, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck in your next endeavors Josh.

Posted by: Jester64 | November 5, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Good for Gros. That has to be such an incredibly difficult decision. I wish him the best of luck in whatever he does next and will miss his effort on the pitch. I've actually been hoping he would retire because I would hate to see any further damage done, don't mess with head injuries.

Posted by: dtd | November 5, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

It is not even a 4. OBE, this was already floating around on BigSoccer.

Posted by: Erick | November 5, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the memories Josh, good luck. We'd love to see you back next year, but your health is the most important thing you've got.

This is as good an argument as any why young stars should play soccer in college instead of the Generation Adidas thing. An engineering degree from Rutgers will certainly allow Josh to land on his feet.

Posted by: Shatz / DCUMD | November 5, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Erick:

BigSoccer doesn't quite have the credibility of Goff. I mean this was a rare occasion where someone there had it right, as opposed to the myriad unsubstantiated rumors around those parts.

Posted by: tmc | November 5, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Shatz, agreed.

Josh, vayas con Dios. I'll miss you on the team, best of luck in whatever you do.

Posted by: gallegoscot | November 5, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Sign Needham!

Posted by: RK | November 5, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Too bad, what he lacked in talent, he more than made up for in work ethic and heart.

Good luck to him.

Hopefully, he uses his degree, because I don't think he's got a future in frisbee golf.

Posted by: Kim | November 5, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

"I wonder if he will still play recreational-league soccer. My firm always needs more engineers and our company soccer team could use some talent upgrades as well."

I'm sure you won't be the only bidder. Even with the restriction of not heading the ball, for reasons of health, Josh would be a rock for any amateur side.
His other dream, of being a Marine officer, is almost surely out. With his technical background there are paths within the Corps where his ailment could be adjusted for. But I get the impression he wanted the Marines for the real thing, and not desk/technical support.
He's clearly a smart young man with substantial integrity. He'll do well in life.

Posted by: To' | November 5, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Good Luck to Josh. He's DC United through and through.
With an engineering degree, he could work for my company.

Posted by: gomez4prez | November 5, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for everything, Josh. Namoff isn't the only one who is going to miss you.

I recommend retiring Josh's protective headgear by hanging it right beside this year's Supporter's Shield at DCU HQ.

Posted by: Joe Doc | November 5, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

That really sucks for such a young player. He wasn't going to become a superstar, but he was a very solid MLSer.

At least he got to "live the dream" for a while, which included winning an MLS Cup, two Supporter Shields, and a USMNT Cap, not to mention several international tournaments.

Posted by: TCompton | November 5, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Godspeed.

Few players have shown as much dedication to the game of soccer and to DC United as Josh Gros. Preserve your health and cherish the memories.

Posted by: garbaggio | November 5, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I vote that the next cliff hanger must be followed by news involving stadium answers, acquirements of big name players, or a last minute switch of the 2010 world cup to anywhere but Africa so it doesnt suck.

Posted by: Adam | November 5, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Too bad. I think Gros is the team talisman of sorts. Since 2004 when he plays, we win and when he doesn't or is injured, we lose. Love to see a chart/win-loss record with and without gros oon the field.

2004 - On the field = title
2005 - Benched in 4-0 home loss to chicago
2006 - Unclear, weren't there a lot of wrist injuries?
2007 - injured in early season - start 0-3-1, injured late and they lose the last month of season.

Good luck in the future Josh!

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | November 5, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

So

Gomez to Qatar?
Moreno to Qatar?
Gros retired
Olsen having surgery
Poplar Point pretty much dead

Hell of an off season so far.

Posted by: Southeasterner | November 5, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

At the celebration after the 2004 Cup, when everyone was taking picures with players, I wanted to stop Gros and thank him for running his ass off every game the whole 90 minutes. But he was too swamped with other fans, so I didn't get to thank him. Maybe he reads the Insider? Thanks Josh, we'll miss your maniacal energy and speed.

Posted by: e | November 5, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I was at some CE classes and heard from doctors at the las vegas institute about neuro-muscular dentistry curing migraines. In essense, it works the same way that Botox works to help keep the headaches away.

In all seriousness, I hope someone can get this info to Gros - just as an FYI in case he's interested. I have nothing to do with the procedure or anything - just a concerned DCU fan who wants to pass along some potentially helpful information.

Posted by: concerned | November 5, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

This sucks, but it's smart of him to realize that soccer is not worth risking your life. Good luck to Josh in whatever he ends up doing, and he'll always remain a fan favorite.

Posted by: Jeff M | November 5, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Josh, for all your hard work, and for everything you've brought to the team. You will be missed. All the best to you in the future; and you will always be DC United.

Posted by: asfoolasiam | November 5, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to curl up in a ball and cry.

Josh is my favorite; a tireless worker, a gentleman off the field, and he was just getting his crosses up to starter calibre...

You will be extremely missed, good luck in your future projects.

:'(

Posted by: Travis | November 5, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I will miss watching him run up and down the wing. Of all the United players, Josh was special because of his willingness to serve our country, even though he was distracted by soccer. He's a good man and we need more like him on the field and off.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | November 5, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm wearing my Josh Gros 2006 All-Star jersey to MLS Cup.

Posted by: DWE4 | November 5, 2007 5:58 PM | Report abuse

That sucks, sorry to Josh that bad fortunes fell on him in this way. Concussions are nothing to mess with at all.

Posted by: kebzach | November 5, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

This sucks.

A lot.

Posted by: Mike Lastort | November 5, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

It will be a big loss to the team both on the field and off. Josh is a class guy. That said, take care of your noggin Mr. Gros.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | November 5, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Gros will me missed. I loved his energy and work rate. He made DC a better team when he was on the field, which is all you can ask of a player.

I'm sure he'll find success in whatever he chooses to do.

Posted by: Publius | November 5, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

As much as Gros would love to play and entertain us and we would love to see him success United it is in the interest for him to choose life over unfortunate event so it sounds like a right decision. Gook luck and thank you if it's final.

Posted by: td | November 5, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck in your future, young man. You have a bright one. Please, if you stay in the area, don't be a stranger.

Posted by: Stevan | November 5, 2007 6:58 PM | Report abuse

What everyone else said - best of luck in the future, Josh!

Posted by: ff | November 5, 2007 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey Josh,

Good luck in wherever and whatever you do. I loved watching you on the field! Your energy and skills were great.

- P

Posted by: Pablo in Bowie | November 5, 2007 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Well, on a bright side, that's 1 less person to have to worry about exposing.

Posted by: Supplental Draft | November 5, 2007 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Well, on a bright side, that's 1 less person to have to worry about exposing.

Posted by: Supplental Draft | November 5, 2007 7:54 PM | Report abuse

NOOO! Josh please come coach my son's team :-)

Posted by: BobF | November 5, 2007 8:26 PM | Report abuse

NOOO! Josh please come coach my son's team :-)

Posted by: BobF | November 5, 2007 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Much respect to Josh Gros. I hope he's not a stranger and keeps close with DCU. Though sitting with Barra Brava on gamedays might be a little risky for him ;)

Posted by: noptov52 | November 5, 2007 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: noptov52 | November 5, 2007 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey Josh,

If you haven't done it already, print out this page and its comments section. It's unanimous: we all are going to miss you big time.

Thanks buddy, and if you didn't hear it from us before, it's because we never got the chance.

Posted by: Print ME!!! | November 5, 2007 9:12 PM | Report abuse

What a terrible week to be a DC United fan.
I hope this isn't foreshadowing a terrible off season as well

Good luck, Josh Gros! You will be missed!

Posted by: SS | November 5, 2007 10:00 PM | Report abuse

wow. that really bums me out. good luck Josh, you were one of our favorites!

Posted by: grumpy | November 5, 2007 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I'll definitely miss him on the field. The team definitely needed him in form down the stretch. Does this do anything to the expansion draft discussion?

Posted by: sitruc | November 5, 2007 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Well...that leaves an opening for someone with headgear...hmmm

Posted by: Beans | November 6, 2007 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Well...that leaves an opening for someone with headgear...hmmm

Posted by: beans | November 6, 2007 12:25 AM | Report abuse

This sucks s**t... Josh is one of the hardest working players to ever wear the Black and Red. I love his work ethic and dedication to our beloved D.C. United.

However, Josh needs to do what's best for him.....I ran into Josh at the last reg. season game up in the mezz. and he autographed a photo of he and I together that I happened to have with me. He was as nice as can be. He is a class guy and a great soccer player that will be missed immensly if he does retire.

Stay strong, my Brother!! We love you and wish you all the best!!

Posted by: Smitty | November 6, 2007 12:46 AM | Report abuse

HA I was right. I said that in a post from yesterday.

Now look for Gros to be in charge of the Falls Church VA soccer program.

We'll miss ya Josh!!

Posted by: steve-o | November 6, 2007 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Josh, if you see this, thanks for representing. You brought game. Your speed caused fits, and we've been a noticibly slower team since your injuries. I know you'll be successful at whatever you have to do. This must be a huge disappointment. But wherever you hang your hat, United fans will be there to support you.

Posted by: David | November 6, 2007 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Gros's retirement will take away one of the true workhorses in MLS. I never saw him complain or yell at his teammates. great guy. We will miss you!!

Posted by: DC girl | November 6, 2007 8:51 AM | Report abuse

as much as i hate the college system as a feeder to MLS , this really exemplifies the postivies that can come from it... gros has a fine degree to fall back on, and im sure he does indeed have plenty of options away from the pitch entirely... the same sadly cannot be said for so many other players around the world who invest all they have to the game and come away w/ little to nothing to show for it in the end..

Posted by: david | November 6, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Good Luck Josh, thanks for being true to BC. Do us one more favor, stay in DC long enough that we can leave you unprotected on the roster. That would be awesome.

Posted by: DCAustinite | November 6, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Godspeed, Josh! In my opinion, you were Rookie of the Year! You made D.C. United better when you were on the field with your tireless work ethic and dedication. I hope to see you wearing a D.C. United jersey again soon... just not on the field... but in the stands! I have no doubt you will land on your feet. Best of luck!

Posted by: Soy United! | November 6, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Gros was a true warrior. Pure class. Good luck to you....

Posted by: PKTaker | November 6, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Best of luck to you Josh, you will be missed.

Posted by: Fair Winds and Following Seas | November 6, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse