Countdown to Kickoff

As we await tonight's showdown between United and the Fire at Estadio RFK, a few items to pass along:

*Chicago's Diego Gutierrez has been named MLS's humanitarian of the year. According to the league, Gutierrez is a national spokesman for Nothing But Nets, a campaign dedicated to fighting malaria in Africa. He worked with the MLS charity, United Nations Foundation and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to develop a public service announcement and raise more than $400,000 to purchase insecticide-treated bed nets. The nets protect children and adults while they sleep and help reduce the spread of malaria.

*Placido Domingo, general director of the Washington Opera and best known as one of the Three Tenors, will sing the national anthem at MLS Cup. Jimmy Eat World will perform at halftime.

*In case you missed it yesterday, the multidimensional Sports Bog returned to United duty with a fun piece on the medical staff.

*Today's match preview is available right here.

More later.....

By Steve Goff  |  November 1, 2007; 1:09 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ellinger Hired
Next: Playoff Matchday 2: DCU vs. Chicago

Comments

anyone out there take that stadium survey? I think the team is moving out of the district. Just where is the question.

Posted by: steve-o | November 1, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Olé DC UNITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Put out the Fire!

WIN and ADVANCE!!!!

DC UNITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Fitty | November 1, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Jimmy Eat World?

Those guys used to stay on my couch(s) when they toured small clubs in the mid 90s.

Didnt realize they were futbol fans? Or maybe just trying to plug a new record?

Posted by: the cheat | November 1, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

"I'm Steve O, and this is the Speculator!"*

*The producers must insist that you do not attempt this type of uninformed speculation at home. Steve O and Johnny Knoxville are trained professionals.

Posted by: EdTheRed | November 1, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Malaria Sucks.

Posted by: David | November 1, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Jimmy eat world? I'd rather watch the u-10 soccer games.

Posted by: d, dc | November 1, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

ABC/ESPN/BSPN isn't trying to cross-promote something at halftime? Like the Spice Girls featuring Hannah Montana and a shirtless David Beckham?

Posted by: RK | November 1, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Jimmy Eat World is a vast improvement over Paulina Rubio. (all together now: "who??")

Posted by: CMJ | November 1, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

is kickoff definitely 7:45 or 8:00?

jimmy eat world = pretty lame, you think they could afford someone a little better, they are only offering airtime on major channel.

Posted by: Ruscien | November 1, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know when kickoff actually is? Do we have to sit through 30 minutes of Fowdy and Stoner again?

Posted by: trip | November 1, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CMJ | November 1, 2007 01:57 PM

----------------

Ummm, more like (all together now: "HOT!!")

Posted by: edgeonyou | November 1, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Dude, they are lucky to find a rock band who will get out of bed before noon, let a lone come play a 15 minute gig. Still, Jimmy Eat Worls sold out the 930 club in like a minute last month. Maybe they get get Placido to guest on The Middle. Who knows.

Posted by: T. Henry | November 1, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Jimmy Eat World sounds like a mentally-challenged extraterrestrial monster saying it's hungry... kinda lika that cornucopia-shaped world-eating monster from the original Star Trek... I'm bored! Five-and-a-half more hours... Argh!

Posted by: Soy United! | November 1, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Goff said on a previous blog entry it was 7:45...

We'll see about that. I suspect it'll be closer to 8 since ESPN will do whatever they want to.

--strago

Posted by: strago | November 1, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait for the game. Leaving my place in an hour and a half to tailgate. Vamos United!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DC United Fan | November 1, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: trip

Hopefully there will be no "sitting".

Be loud for 90 minutes.

VAMOS!!!!

Posted by: spectre | November 1, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Enrico Polatzo!! Enrico Polatzo!! Enrico Polatzo!!

Posted by: NakedGunner | November 1, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Any chance of Placido performing WITH Jimmy?

Posted by: Tom | November 1, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Finally MLS Cup gets a band that most of us have heard about...well most of the non-geezers.

Posted by: Dave | November 1, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

At least they didn't get Enriqo Palazzo to sing the national anthem

Posted by: Tweaked | November 1, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Note to self: Stay at bar during Cup Final half-time

Posted by: Kev | November 1, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Of more concern than the music issue:

Did anyone else notice that, for the first time in quite a while, Ivan Guerrero is listed as probable for Chicago? Not that Gutierrez is bad, but Guerrero is much more dynamic and can get into the attack. He also tends to provoke the guys he is up against with the occasional dive and/or late tackle. I would not be surprised at all to see Chicago make use of him. Olsen and Namoff will have to be on their guard.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | November 1, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Jimmy Eat World and Placido perform "Inagodadavida "!!!

Vamos United! Goff, thanks for the update!

Posted by: gallegoscot | November 1, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, I will be sitting in front of my buddy's TV watching the game. But, seriously, is there a pregame show again?

Posted by: trip | November 1, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I had a bad dream last night that DC loses 2-0 tonight. Hopefully, that isn't the case because @ $6.50 a beer I cannot afford to drink away my dissappointment in RFK.

Posted by: ruscien | November 1, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Of more concern than the music issue:

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | November 1, 2007 02:37 PM

As usual, Chest Rockwell makes a good point. I bet Chicago will really provoke United into earning a red card. If that were to happen, desperation could set in, and we'd be screwed. We've got to keep our cool.

Us fans, however, will have to get off of our friends' sofas, go to the stadium, and let it all hang out. The 12th man can't get red-carded, remember.

Posted by: David | November 1, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

ESPN folks tell me that kickoff is planned for no later than 7:47 pm

Posted by: Goff | November 1, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I took the stadium survey; told them they should move to Alexandria... Wherever they go, I just hope its near a metro. One of the sites listed was college park. How cool would that be for U Md.'s soccer program? Face it, DC isn't going to be in DC....

Someone PLEASE put a muzzle on Foudy. Since Beckham's out, I'd much rather hear him in the booth.

Posted by: Hacksaw | November 1, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

where's this survey everyone is talking about? I want my voice heard too!

Posted by: J-Mart | November 1, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Last time I saw a musical act perform before a soccer game at RFK, it was Justin Guarini before the USWNT vs. Sweden in the 2003 World Cup. Yikes!

Posted by: silentbob | November 1, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I know it's a longshot, but I'd love to see United at the old Convention Center spot. Metro-accessible, nightlife-friendly, urban as it gets, it would be like no other stadium in MLS.

4 hours, 4 hours, 4 hours. Don't think I can hold out much longer than that.

Posted by: Whatever | November 1, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"The 12th man can't get red-carded, remember"

I have been "red-carded" from The Meadowlands, Dick's Sporting Goods Park, and RFK ;-)

Posted by: jgildea | November 1, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

For those not on DCU's mailing list, here is the stadium survey: http://www.turnkeyintel.com/surveyor/default.aspx?sid=dcunited

Posted by: KR in DC | November 1, 2007 11:49 AM
--------------------

No matter where you live, please put the DC sites as your preferred... they are the most centrally located and will allow most current fans to continue to attend.

Posted by: Soy United! | November 1, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

"The 12th man can't get red-carded, remember"

Posted by: jgildea | November 1, 2007 03:30 PM
-------------------------------------------

Arrested and red carded are NOT the same thing. Trust me, I know. The clock is killing me! Can't it just be 7 so I can go to the stadium!

Posted by: T. | November 1, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

The choice is not Foudy versus Hudson or Beckham, it's Foudy versus Wynalda. I would choose Foudy.

Posted by: WNT fan | November 1, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Someone please tell her to removed those hideous groths on her face, though. I keep thinking Alien is going to pop out of one of them...

Posted by: Soy United! | November 1, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey BBs and SEs:

No mercy tonight, fellas. I want to hear you in Haymarket -- with my TV on mute.

Posted by: Joe Doc | November 1, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Eye of the Tiger, Barra.

Posted by: Chico | November 1, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WNT fan | November 1, 2007 03:34 PM

I choose mute

Posted by: Kev | November 1, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

No way - as bad as Wynalda is, Foudy's voice sounds like fingernails running down a chalkboard! And I really don't think she adds all that much insight.

Posted by: DE | November 1, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

"The choice is not Foudy versus Hudson or Beckham, it's Foudy versus Wynalda."

Heather Mitts is not a choice?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | November 1, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Nice work by whomever hung the "Go DC United" signs on the Shady Grove Road bridge over I 370 his week.

Thanks for the Enrico Palazo references...

Posted by: tim | November 1, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I like Wynalda in the booth.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | November 1, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Mitts is fine too, speaking or on mute. I think she is back to training now, though, with a view to joining camp early in 08.

Posted by: WNT fan | November 1, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------------

Nice work as well to the fan who hung a "Go DC United" sign a covered walkway going above above I-395 in Arlington. Wouldn't really want to jog that myself in rush hour and breathe in all the toxic fumes. Talk about high traffic though...

Posted by: DCUnited fan | November 1, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Whatever | November 1, 2007 03:28 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the old Convention Center site is already in the site development stages of becoming a large multi-use office/residential complex.

Jimmy Eat World and Placido Domingo is sounding pretty good when you consider all the other possibilities.

Posted by: Shatz / DCUMD | November 1, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

we must come out not just pure emotion and anger but that plus some intelligence will be the potion for 3 golazos in the second half. gomez 1, boswell header 2, simms the 3rd.

Posted by: jay | November 1, 2007 8:40 PM | Report abuse