Day of Rest? Ha!

Good Sunday morning. We're going to touch on several topics here. Ready?

*On Thursday, I got word that a prominent agent was in D.C. to meet with the United folks. (He apparently stayed at the Four Seasons -- so, yes, he's big.) On Friday, I heard that the gentleman represented Argentine star Juan Sebastian Veron. Yesterday, I heard that the agent was Gustavo Mascardi -- who represents some of the biggest names in Latin American futbol, including Veron -- or one of his associates. One MLS insider told me late last night: "I wouldn't be surprised if D.C. gets him." Maybe this will happen, after all. Or perhaps United is in the market for other Latin players. Stay tuned.....

*MLS conference finals are set: Chicago at New England on Thursday in Foxborough (ESPN2), Kansas City at Houston on Saturday (Fox Soccer Channel). The home sides are clear favorites, but while I don't like the Wizards' chances, I do like the Fire's. Hopefully the weather at Gillette will be better than last night's mess.

*Ward 8 and the Poplar Point proponents are disappointed in their mayor.

*George Solomon begins his Sunday column with observations from United's demise at RFK.

*Maryland routs Virginia, 4-1, to extend its unbeaten streak to nine. Cavs star Yannick Reyering goes down with a knee injury.

*Arsenal scores a late equalizer on a wild sequence to tie Man U:

By Steve Goff  |  November 4, 2007; 11:44 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Wrap-Up, Houston Rally
Next: It's Getting Drafty in Here

Comments

And Georgetown somehow managed a scoreless tie with Notre Dame! :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | November 4, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

the wizards should really not be there, horrible team

Posted by: rosado | November 4, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Man, and I thought the English announcers went nuts! That Youtube guy sounded like he was about to have a stroke! Still, a terrific ending to what I thought was a very hot and cold display by the Prem leaders. Wayne Rooney may be the only striker alive who misses more chances than Kpene. Plus Sir Alex's whining about the officiating was classless, and unnecessary given the fact that the tying goal was in beyond any doubt. End all, it was a highly entertaining way to spend two hours (it sure beat the heck out of the dour Chelski/Wigan mess that followed).

Posted by: Throwin | November 4, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Payne: "'In a lot of soccer leagues, we'd be champions by virtue of what we did in the regular season.'"

----------

Yeah, it sucks not going further in the playoffs, but for this futbol newbie, in my eyes, DCU are champions. I watched that DVD that was handed out at the end of the Crew game of DCU's winning the MLS Cup in '99 at RFK. The TV announcers made a point at the start of each half to thank the sponsors for allowing the half to progress "without commercial interruption." Gee, what a new and amazing concept it musta been, way back then.

Given how MLS has progressed over the last decade (no more golden goal, no more countdown clock), I wouldn't be surprised if more folks make bigger hay about the Supporters Shield in MLS's second decade.

Yeah, yeah, this Amurrikan culture only understands playoffs, etc etc, whatever. Lessee what happens to MLS/pro soccer in the next 10 years before laying final judgement on that.

DCU still rules. I wanna see them raise a CONCACAF Champions Cup next year.

Posted by: Juan-John | November 4, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

YouTube: "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by NetResult."

Posted by: Bootsy | November 4, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I just watched the video, in Arabic no less.

Posted by: Mike | November 4, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Wow Goff, those are big news. We shall stay tuned. Dempsey scored again yesterday. Rossi scored today against At. Medrid. Fredal shut off Liverpool.

Posted by: td | November 4, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Sadly Poplar Point sounds terminal. Fenty is definitely giving a sweetheart deal to somebody, I guess we'll find out who before Christmas.

Posted by: Natty | November 4, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Just a small correction on the use by Steve and others of "futbol." This is incorrect, the word needs to be spelled fútbol with the accent. Without the accent the Spanish pronunciation would be foot-BOLL. A seemingly small point but I'm sure there are a lot of readers here with Spanish backgrounds and the error must surely throw them off a bit. There are a bunch of easy ways to type in the accent without changing your keyboard. Here's just one website: http://spanish.typeit.org/

Sorry if this point has been made previously and I missed it.

Posted by: Mitch | November 4, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

While I'm still angry about the handball call against Gomez . . . looks inadvertent to me . . . . I keep telling myself that right now only one team is assured CONCACAF and Superliga berths in 2008!

You had a great season UNITED!

Posted by: delantero | November 4, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Can a possible Veron deal also include a central defender like Ryan Nelsen or Eddie Pope?

Posted by: d | November 4, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

How many of those MLS Cup stars on the jersey represent seasons when another team would "be chanmpions by virtue of what [they] did in the regular season"?

Seems to me, we can't have it both ways.

Posted by: Dave | November 4, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Damn it, Goff! It seems like whenever I'm trying to steer clear of results from big international games I get sucker punched by the insider. ARGH!

Posted by: NOT SO HAPPY, BIG FELLA! | November 4, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

We would have had 3 stars this year if they were given out just for Supporter's Shield (this year would have been our fourth). So it would be a wash right now, we're still the most decorated team in MLS :-)

Posted by: Wyrm | November 4, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Kevin - you're on the Competition Committee, if you don't like, change it. Until then, sack up and have some class.

Posted by: Gryphon | November 4, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Mitch -- thank you for the most useful post to date, all this time I thought I needed a different keyboard.

now I can say cauahtémoc blanco sucks, officially

Posted by: Atlanta | November 4, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Another superb Ronaldino free kick goals and one of Henry's good goals too. But they are against Betis.

Posted by: td | November 4, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Heh right at the beginning of that clip, the announcer lets us kow that "Arsenal is still in my heart." Gooners everywhere...sigh...

Posted by: Max J. | November 4, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Virginia Tech's unbeaten streak is at 15 heading into the regular season finale at BC this coming Friday.

Posted by: sitruc | November 4, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Mitch: you are correct, however, every computer has the character map (under start>all programs>accessories>system tools built in so there is no need to go to a website. In Windows you can install language packs that will let you switch your regular keyboard to another one all the time. I use that when I am typing to family members and friends in Germany so I don't have to type 'oe, ae, ue, ss' rather than 'ö,ü,ä, ß'

Oh and I am SCHOCKED KC actually pulled it out against Chicas.

Posted by: papa bear | November 4, 2007 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I was trying to keep away from the Arsenal game results, but I would basically have to turn off my computer because I'll end up reading this blog and the comments. Does anyone think that game will be replayed on Comcast during the week?

Posted by: Mike | November 4, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Let me sacreligeously state that the one sucky thing about European soccer is the lack of any post-season playoff. For all those who got a kick out of Man U vs. Arsenal yesterday, think how it would be to have such matchups at the tail end of a season for an overall league championship. DC stumbled and Soehn flat out botched it up, and that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

If this team is to win internationally and domestically the way it should, the defense needs to be shored up far more than we need a soon-to-be-over-the-hill superstar. This town should've learned that lesson by now, what with the Snyder follies.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | November 4, 2007 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Now THERE'S the level of sportscasting I've been looking for! ESPN needs to take some pointers from the guy on that clip.

Posted by: spectre | November 4, 2007 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff,

Did Ben Olsen complete elementary school? He keeps mentioning how DCU won the "10 month regular season," but my calender says that April through October is only 7 months, not 10. Can you clear this up?

Posted by: Matt | November 4, 2007 8:04 PM | Report abuse

It's a 10 month "regular season" because of when organized practices and competitions began. Practice began well before April. Didn't they begin practice(early with the MLS permission) at the end of January or beginning of February?

Posted by: sitruc | November 4, 2007 8:11 PM | Report abuse

DCU opened training camp on Jan. 29.

Posted by: Goff | November 4, 2007 8:30 PM | Report abuse

so if someone else develops poplar point, how would that work for DC United. I thought the whole deal was that SSS's need to be built and owned by the teams so they would control all the revenue streams from concessions, etc. Would the other developers build it according to the awesome stadium plans we've seen, or would they be smaller?

also, this blog is not YdaylightsavingsK compliant! it says goff posted at 8:30pm.

Posted by: pat | November 4, 2007 8:38 PM | Report abuse

The lease could effectively be controlled by United, like they pay $1 a year and keep all revenues. It wouldn't be the deal United wanted, but I bet they'd take it.

. . . don't count on that happening at Poplar Point, though, since all 7 of the bidders provided a soccer-free proposal, and only two also had a soccer version.

Posted by: S | November 4, 2007 9:21 PM | Report abuse

If DCU gets Veron, let's hope it's not the kind of Denilson. Big in four season...humm let's not pay big $$$ and get little. Veron has three goals for his club as of now and they are at 14th on the table. Let's hope Denilson can prove people wrong next year. But we need some very good players. I appreciate Olsen's feeling towards the fans. We will stand behind you Ben!

Posted by: td | November 4, 2007 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Mitch, if I type FUTBOL, is that ok?

Posted by: RK | November 4, 2007 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, RK, that would be FÚTBOL. It's not a question of the case but of the rules for pronouncing Spanish. Generally words ending in "l" are stressed on the last syllable unless there's an accent on another syllable. So without the stress on "FUT" the word gets pronounced foot-BOLL, which would be wrong.

Posted by: Mitch | November 4, 2007 10:16 PM | Report abuse

i was curious what the counts would be if stars were given for supporter's shield instead, and I was surprised that the counts for championships and supporter's shield are very close:
MLS Cup-

KC 1
Col 1
SJ 1
TB 1
Mia 1

Posted by: annoying stats guy | November 4, 2007 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Not true -- it is acceptable and common for accents to be dropped when using all upper case.

Posted by: RK | November 4, 2007 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Ok, cool. But why did you ask me?

Also, why would you use all upper case here?

Sorry if you didn't approve of my original point, but I thought it worth making since I'm sure a lot of Spanish-speaking people read this thread.

Posted by: Mitch | November 4, 2007 11:31 PM | Report abuse

ESPN Soccernet's Jeff Carlisle is reporting that Frank Yallop is headed back up the road to the Quakes.

"Multiple sources have confirmed to ESPN.com that Yallop is leaving the Los Angeles Galaxy to take up the reins of the expansion San Jose Earthquakes, a move that will be formally announced at a press conference on Tuesday."

Posted by: SportzNut21 | November 4, 2007 11:44 PM | Report abuse

wonder if LA already has a new coach lined up (and if so who), or if the search is just starting - if there isn't a replacment selected who will be coaching their upcoming friendlies ?

Posted by: emanon | November 5, 2007 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Go Gunners.

Posted by: ralph | November 5, 2007 2:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SportzNut21 | November 4, 2007 11:44 PM

Is he taking Landy with him or did Donovan already sign his big EPL deal that he is sure to get?

This could be one of the best off-seasons in MLS history. Should keep Goff busy.

Posted by: Southeasterner | November 5, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: spike_2.0 | November 4, 2007 07:08 PM

=========================

But the EPL has the FA CUP, played in Mid May. The beauty of it is that both the FA Cup and the league winner are both held in high esteem.

MLS needs to stress the Shield equally in it's marketing. Winning the league should have more prestige, rather than the end of year MLS Cup tournament getting 100% of the 'glory'.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 5, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Mitch,

May I go to the bathroom?

Let me know,
Arrrlington

Posted by: Arrrlington | November 5, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I'm still torn about the Veron situation. Is there a scenario where Gomez and Veron are both with the team next year? I'm worried that the team might be operating under the assumption that Veron is a better player than Gomez, and I don't know that that's true.

Posted by: Shatz / DCUMD | November 5, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Ya know, while you can use the character map to do ñs, and ós and stuff, it takes too long if you haven't memorized the keystrokes.

If someone writes futbol instead of fútbol, so what? We all know what the writer means. Let's relax a little, otherwise we'll have to spell Sunil Gulati in Hindi.

OTOH, if I could find the German double S key, I could write aBhole.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | November 5, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

USSF is after Sermanni for the WNT job? That would be cool.

Posted by: WNT fan | November 5, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Jose Mourinho to Galaxy.

Posted by: The Portugese | November 5, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Mitch, ease up, man. If we call up the grammar police again, it's gunna get ugly. My first language is English, and I occasionally have a very hard time understanding some of the posts on here. To worry about somebody's bad Spanglish is a little over the top.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | November 5, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Shatz / DCUMD | November 5, 2007 10:30
Shatz, Veron and Gomez are not in the same league! Did you see Veron paying in Copa America with Argentina? Do you believe that Gomito could play for Argentina? Veron is a huge improvement over Gomez , no doubt about it.

Posted by: Charles | November 5, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

To be fair - Gomez has been a spark plug in United's line-up for his tenure. I for one hope that there's a scenario where he stays as well. He's meant a lot to the club in his time here and I would hate to see him leave. There's a better way for Gomez and Jaime to end their careers in a United shirt.

Posted by: UVA-United | November 5, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I follow MLS quite closely and also lived in Washington over the summer....I watched the Copa America in Lucky Bar! Amazing! Veron is 100 times the player Gomez is (but that's my personal opinion). Watching several United games, I think it maybe time to let Moreno go and try to keep Gomez. Jaime is looking really old and should probably think about the next stage in his career.

Posted by: DigzTFC | November 5, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Guy Franzen, that Independent story is five years old. Tipoffs include the fact that they refer to Veron as playing with Manchester United and the fact that it's dated October 2002.

Would still be sort of interested to know who else he represents. I do see that he represents Juan Pablo Angel, so he's obviously already worked with MLS.

Posted by: Veron | November 5, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Off topic...

Can someone PLEASE post a link to the "handball" video by Gomez? I haven't been able to see a replay, and I'm not over it yet.
Thanks.

Posted by: David | November 5, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

The Independent is reporting today that Veron has broken his relationship with Mascardi and is going with Fernando Hidalgo as his agent.

The last two paragraphs. What do you think? Garbage or DCU is looking at someone else that El Diablo has found?

Posted by: Guy Franzen | November 5, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Mitch,

Hablo espanol, but chill. I hope my lack of an "ñ" doesn't make your head explode. :)
Next up, Italian. Can anyone explain why it's Calico? Not Futboli parmesiano?

Posted by: gallegoscot | November 5, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I need to go take a shower... I feel filthy... Cheering for NY Red Bulls was an experience I hope to soon forget. Fortunately, KC's victory over the weekend still leaves my hopes for a "500 and Under MLS Cup" (KC vs. Chiacgo) and then watch the league spin this as a competition of the two "best" teams in the league. No apologies for DC United as they don't deserve being there. But with a cup match-up like KC vs. Chicago resulting from this oddball system, MLS will have wasted an entire season in its pursuit of international credibility...

Posted by: Mickey | November 5, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

"Can anyone explain why it's Calico? Not Futboli parmesiano?"

No melted cheese.