Injuries, Stadiums, Becks and NCAAs

Good mornin'. Lots of quality reading material for you. Take a look and come on back to share your thoughts.

*Sadly, it's looking like American winger DaMarcus Beasley is going to be sidelined for several months.....

*D.C. United turns to the Maryland suburbs for a place to play.....

*The Beckham-Galaxy tour heads to New Zealand.....

*Maryland edges Loyola on PKs, thanks to a reserve goalkeeper from T&T, while Va. Tech advances, UVA falls at West Virginia , top-seeded Boston College and No. 4 Indiana are upset, ODU surprises No. 6 Brown, and Ian Sarachan, son of the former Fire coach, scores in Illinois-Chicago's victory.....

Finally, two great goals (and priceless commentary) from the Benfica-Milan match:

By Steve Goff  |  November 29, 2007; 6:21 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Waives Four
Next: Things You Should Know

Comments

Somewhere in there I heard the Arabic word for "golazo."

Posted by: Joe S. | November 29, 2007 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Fork, meet DC United's attendance figures.

Posted by: Hoost | November 29, 2007 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Isnt it gonna be a little weird for the players like Pavon and Veris that they are still down there with the team but they have been waived? Or have they flown back home already?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 29, 2007 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Oh that's horrible news for DMB. I hope he has a fast and healthy recovery. Looks like we're going to need Bobby Convey to return to great form once again with Reading and the USMNT.

And I don't think Pavon and Veris have been waived yet...but even then it wouldn't be weird. Matt Taylor was waived months ago by Chivas USA, yet he still trains with the team and was on their squad for the charity match against Chivas de Guadalajara.

Posted by: Rene | November 29, 2007 8:10 AM | Report abuse

I just saw the waiver list so disregard what I said about them not being waived...but the Matt Taylor part is true so it still applies.

Posted by: Rene | November 29, 2007 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Still skeptical of Maryland and it's tax dollar spending.

Posted by: UVA-United | November 29, 2007 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Things broke nicely for the Terps. Indiana was set to be their next opponent and now they get Bradley. And if they do happen to make it to the final four (2 more wins) the #1 seed BC would have been their opponent. Instead they'll get at best the 9th seed. Great opportunity for a young team to make a run here.

Posted by: lawrenceterp | November 29, 2007 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Poor Maryland...just started up a USL team and now DC United is coming in to take away the fan base?

How about this: MSL joins USL as their premier league, then we have relegation and promotion between MLS, USL-1, and USL-2?

Posted by: Troy | November 29, 2007 8:45 AM | Report abuse

man, I speak Italian and Portuguese and I didn't understand a word of that commentary.

Posted by: Troy | November 29, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

Are you going down to Cary for the finals?

It sucks to hear about the move to MD but I guess it isn't much of a surprise given the events in DC.

If only they had piggybacked onto the Nats new development and we may have had a new city funded stadium next to the Nats stadium and we would be playing in it next season.

Posted by: Southeasterner | November 29, 2007 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Southeasterner - a city-funded soccer stadium wouldn't solve DCU's financial difficulties. United wants/needs to OWN the stadium so they can take in all revenues, dictate other uses, etc.

The Nationals do not own the new baseball stadium, it belongs to the city. They are merely leasing the use of the stadium from the city - in fact, those lease payments are part of what is financing the stadium's construction. Amazingly though, the Nationals do get to keep the revenue from the stadium naming rights...an amount that would probably fund, in whole, any proposed soccer specific stadium.

Posted by: DE | November 29, 2007 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Very dissapointing to hear about United's plan to move to Maryland. If only that jack *** could see the vision this wouldn't have had happend.
Very interesting about the fans greeting Beckham and Galaxy. Got to tell you he is spreading MLS around the globe really well.

Posted by: 22202 | November 29, 2007 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I know people will be upset in my an others anti Maryland sentiments - but being on one side or the other of the Beltway cuts out many fans for United. I'd rather we find a solution IN the District. I can't really say that I find this article to be all that news worthy. This was known by most anyway.

Posted by: UVA-United | November 29, 2007 9:21 AM | Report abuse

For what it's worth - people should read Oliver's Grade on the Dynamo page for their commentary about their stadium situation. Perhaps we should send this to Fenty?

Posted by: UVA-United | November 29, 2007 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I think everyone knows that the best place for the stadium is in DC. Marylanders would be as reluctant to go to Virginia as UVA-United is to come to Maryland. Unfortunately, because of Mayor Fenty's decision, DC United's best (only good) option is a site outside of the city.

The result of locating in the burbs will probably be as much as a 10% loss in attendance. Still, many of us will cross the Potomac, in whichever direction we have to go, to show our continuing support and allegiance to DC United.

Posted by: ho | November 29, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

*About the stadium, "not newsworthy" -- I disagree, but the Post may agree -- I don't think the article was in my print version of the paper. Both Greenbelt and NC are on MARC as well as Metro -- does that possibly bring more folks from Balto in? Fenty & DC are going to get tooled on this one. Wonder what the other bids for Poplar Point looked like? Welcome to the big leagues, Mr. Mayor.

*USF also had a T&T player show up large yesterday in their tournament win. Good day for Soca Warriors.

Posted by: WNT fan | November 29, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

If you are from VA, you already cross the Potomac to get to RFK.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 29, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Can we recall Fenty as mayor? If not, and if he's screwed the pooch on Poplar Point, I'll be working for his opponent in the next election. It just feels like he's been hanging out with his new developer pals and seeing dollar signs that are really just fools gold. DC United in DC!

Posted by: gallegoscot | November 29, 2007 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

Are you going down to Cary for the finals?
------------------------------------------

Forget about Cary for the moment. What about this coming weekend? The Terps get at least one more home match out of this, as does Tech, right?

Posted by: 22201 | November 29, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I've been a fan of Beas. So I think it's a dagger to lose him. Hopefully he'll be back in time for the start of qualifying. Next summer, right?

Becks hurts the ankle again? Dagger.

And I'll second what most everybody else has to say, DC needs to be in the district. Disappointing.

Posted by: Matte | November 29, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

WNT fan: Sadly I don't think the mayor really cares at all that he's going to loose United.

Posted by: Chris | November 29, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

If fans are coming to RFK from VA, they do indeed cross the Potomac - quite conveniently via several well-managed routes (including an exclusive backdoor entrance off of 395).

If DC, PG County and Maryland were not able/willing to accomodate a better traffic system for the 'Skins, there is very little chance that they will go the distance to straighten-out the game day mess for DC United.

Posted by: Mickey | November 29, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: UVA-United | November 29, 2007 09:34 AM
-----------------------------------------

Since you didn't provide a link, I'm guessing you're referring to this:

Posted by: 22201 | November 29, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse

The article isn't saying that a stadium in DC is impossible. Until I hear that, or until ground is broken outside of the city, I'm going to keep hoping for a solution in DC. There is still a proposal for Poplar Point that includes a stadium. Would anyone put it past Fenty to choose that one and say he was with us all along?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | November 29, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Granted, the District is the best solution for accommodating the diverse fan base of the team, so long as the DC government now moves with a sense of urgency in getting the job done. I applaud the ownership group, however, in aggressively seeking alternatives, because the DC government has once again proven its incompetence in addressing the need for a soccer-specific stadium. You snooze, you lose . . .

Posted by: Section 304 | November 29, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

As for Fenty's tolerance for complaints regarding DC united, my wife and I ran with/by him during the Turkey Trot down on the Mall on Thanksgiving morning. It was nice to hear Fenty receive the occasional polite heckle from runners/spectators asking the Mayor to keep DCU in DC.

Posted by: Mickey | November 29, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Greenbelt or New Carrolton would actually be very good options for a new stadium in terms of accessibilty IF a DC site can't be found.

For all those VA folks who say nay; the truth is that whether you drive or Metro to RFK, it's only a little bit further to get to Greenbelt or New Carrolton. Transportation-wise it's a next-best option to a DC site.

Posted by: GDopplerXT | November 29, 2007 10:13 AM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

These sites would all be near the Beltway. They would also be near the B-W Parkway, Route 50, etc. One could cross the District on Kenilworth Ave. to get to them.

Posted by: 22201 | November 29, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Any truth in the rumor about having a go-go club attached to the stadium in PG County?

Posted by: Hoost | November 29, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Can't resist:

"...as well as the patchwork traffic systems of PG County."

People coming from Virginia will find PG County's infrastructure MORE irritating than the mixing bowl?

You're right, though, PG County is not going to so much as patch a single pothole. On the plus side, even if we sell the place out every week, we'll still have, at the absolute most, a third of the people that go to Fedex.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | November 29, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I live in VA and don't care if they build it in PG County. If they build it I will go. Granted, weeknight games will be a little tougher to navigate but after freezing and broiling and getting soaked for United, what's a little traffic?

Posted by: Chico | November 29, 2007 10:20 AM | Report abuse

LawrenceTerp -
Maryland is still in the same bracket as #5 overall Ohio State so they might still have to get past a pretty highly rated team before they can get to the final Four.

But the Terps definitely were lucky Bradley upset Indiana as the Terps get another home game now at Ludwig. Here's the bracket for anyone wondering:

I was at the game last night (missed the 1st half though) and was surprised that Cirovski was allowed to switch keepers for the penalty kick shootout. Big TnT Holoder looked much taller than 6'3" (per program) standing between those pipes.

Maryland was the stronger team in the 2nd half of regulation but I thought Loyola was the better team in the OT.

As far as DC United moving to Greenbelt or New Carrolton - hopefully this is all just preliminary stuff and the team still winds up in DC at or near Poplar Point / RFK area.

The sites mentioned in PG County are not terrible but they might affect my weeknight attendance. I'd still make any weekend games unless the team moves really, really far out.

Posted by: garbaggio | November 29, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I was a season ticket holder for the Caps when they played at the Cap Centre/US Air Arena, and getting there for week night games from VA was a nightmare - enough so that I let my tickets go. Traffic has only gotten worse in the ensuing years. And it would be just as bad for Marylanders trying to get to a site in VA (as convenient as one would be personally for me). If they cannot find a stadium site in DC proper, attendance is going to take a major hit.

Posted by: JB | November 29, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I think the team should stop all negotiations with the City. Sure, it would be great for DC United to continue to be located in the District, but I don't see any viable options in the City right now (outside of Poplar Point) and Fenty's made it clear that he's not going to allow DC United a stadium there.

I don't really care where they build their stadium as long as it's metro accessable and easy to get to.

Posted by: TCompton | November 29, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Also - on TV tonight is Mexican playoff semifinals. 10 pm on Telefutura is the 1st leg of Santos v Pumas (UNAM).

Last night was the first leg of Chivas-Atlante, with Chivas winning 1-0 on a PK. The winner of the Mex Apertura playoffs will be in the Concacaf Champions Cup in the early spring alongside Pachuca, DC, Houston and 4 Central American and Caribbean teams.

So it's a good chance to scout DC's potential future opponents.

Posted by: garbaggio | November 29, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Both Greenbelt and New Carrollton Metro stops are inside the Beltway. I think it is possible that a new SSS stadium at either site could be within spitting distance of both 295 and the Beltway, and be easily walkable from the Metro and (at NC) the MARC/Amtrak station.

Victor, if you build it, they will come.

Posted by: WNT fan | November 29, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

As a DC resident, I'd be sad to see them leave. But as a northern PG native, it'd be a good thing for that particular area and a good thing local soccer. PG county has great youth and HS soccer programs (Bowie B&GC, Dematha, Roosevelt) not too mention the Terps and the local amateur leagues. This will help. Why not put the pro team in the midst of the area's soccer hotbed. PG United indeed!

Posted by: plc | November 29, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Haymarket to PG County? Not happening for me.

But United can count on the Doc Family as loyal TV viewers. Has to count for something, right?

Dulles United!

Posted by: Joe Doc | November 29, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I live in VA and would rather go to PG County than Dulles.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | November 29, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I think most are in agreement that the SSS must be:

- Metro accessible
- Centrally located vs. peripherally located (as in within/on the Beltway vs. way outside the Beltway)
- Accessible via high volume roadways (highways, Beltway, etc.)
- In a location with adjacent parking conducive to tailgating (remove this aspect and you kill gamedays for a lotta folks)

Whatever Macfarlane and Co. can do to maximize those aspects and get a stadium built would be most appreciated!

Let's aim to maximize the above factors vs. quibbling about specific locations.

Vamos United, and Vamos stadium deal!

Posted by: 22206 | November 29, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I live in Alexandria, and a New Carrollton site wouldn't be much more of a drive than RFK. It's only about 10 miles from RFK and is right on the beltway. For emotional reasons I'd like DCU to be in DC, but the city obviously doesn't give a crap. Better United goes somewhere they're wanted.

Posted by: Ash | November 29, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Hey Goff,

Could you call Fathead and ask them why the most successful team in MLS doesn't have its own logo...?

Thought about doing it myself, but figured the WaPo's soccer beat writer extraordinaire would elicit a quicker response... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | November 29, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I live in Arlington, but still, better PG county than some far flung suburban graveyard like Dulles.

If the stadium ends up in New Carrollton, I don't think people are going to stop coming to games due to an added 20 minutes, round trip, on the metro.

Still, I'm hoping this is a bait and switch move by McFarlane and Co. to get hizzoner's attention.

Posted by: d | November 29, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I live in VA and would rather go to PG County than Dulles.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | November 29, 2007 10:45 AM
---------------------------
The BWI people would love to hear that :-)

I would prefer a DC stadium, despite the much greater convenience of an MD site. Certainly a stadium in Prince G would lose some fans from VA, Would it pick up sufficient fans from Baltimore and its suburbs? I recall hearing that Howard County wants to build a soccerplexoid facility. So there's a potential fan base for DC United to tap into.

Yeah, Weeknight match attendance will suck for sure, but revenue will improve.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | November 29, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Can't help ya with the Fathead issue!! Sorry...

Terps will play Bradley Saturday at 6 in College Park. I'll definitely be there.

Hokies will play ODU Sunday at 1 in Blacksburg. I'll definitely not be there.

Posted by: Goff | November 29, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

for those who ride the metro in from nova (orange line), it's just 5 extra stops to new carrolton. not ideal, but pretty d*mn convenient, still!

if the purple line ever gets built, new carrolton will look even better.

Posted by: hogmesh | November 29, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I live in Virginia and absolutely need Metro to get to the game.

Posted by: 22202 | November 29, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Dudes, Dulles was a joke. The last thing we need is a 777 flying over a stadium and having Brian Hall blowing his whistle until he passes, trying to be heard.

I certainly want United to have it's own SSS. They need to make money. But don't discount those of us living in the suburban "graveyards." Last I checked, Prince William and Loudoun counties are two of the fastest growing in the nation, and youth teams are sprouting like weeds. You twenty-somethings with a girlfriend/wife and dog in Arlington can slip on the Metro with little fuss. A bit more difficult for those of us sprawlers.

Posted by: Joe Doc | November 29, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

"If fans would be going to PG County from VA, they would be crossing the Potomac and then managing the madness of criss-crossing SE and NE roads in DC as well as the patchwork traffic systems of PG County. "

Yes, we Virginians should drive through D.C., adding to the congestion, but at the same time, refuse to stop and spend money there. That, and we should all buy those little DCU flags to stick on our cars to be more obnoxious!

Posted by: Glaucon | November 29, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Has no one commented in the papers about Veron's imminent signing with DC United? His contract ends in December and with Estudiantes privately in turmoil (Diego Simeone wants to leave), his chances of coming to DC are great.

Posted by: bristol | November 29, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

The Veron situation was discussed in several threads on this blog in the past 48 hours or so.

Posted by: 22201 | November 29, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Yikes!

I meant to say until Brian Hall "passes out."

I can only imagine what words some of you guys were using to complete that sentence...

Posted by: Joe Doc | November 29, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Like I said earlier, living in VA I'd rather go to PG County than Dulles. Dulles would be a death knell for the club. Besides trying to fight all the NIMBY's, a significant portion of United's existing fan base would be lost. And I'd venture to say that getting there on a weeknight would be every bit as tough if not tougher to get to than any stadium in PG County. For the good of the team it needs to built as centrally to DC as possible. And like Chico said, I'll pretty much go where ever they build it as long as the team is pulling in $$ from it.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | November 29, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I walk to the games now, right down E. Capitol. I don't want things to change, but It will just force me to tailgate more. It is weeknight games that will kill me.

Posted by: jgildea | November 29, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

________________
I'm a forty-something from Arlington and my wife+2 daughters and I managed to use the Metro to get to RFK on Metro with no fuss. So long as the new stadium is on a metro line, we'll continue to use Metro to get to the games.

Posted by: Metroforme | November 29, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

DC United will lose a major part of its fanbase if it relocates that far over in Maryland.

I have been a season ticket holder since day 1 and I would drop those tickets. I have heard similiar opinions from a lot of VA fans. I would not be surprised if United lost 25 to 30% of its fanbase.

There has got to be a better location in either Arlington or if Maryland College Park or further west along the beltway toward Va.

Can we initiate a recall of Fenty.....

Posted by: Nick | November 29, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Will financing be easier for PG than for DC? Any finance geeks in Insider Nation?

Fenty inherits the Lerners and loses MacFarlane. HAHAHAHAHAHA. This is more entertaining than the MLS Cup.

Posted by: WNT fan | November 29, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

"

Can we initiate a recall of Fenty.....

Posted by: Nick | November 29, 2007 12:13 PM "

"That far into Maryland"? You do realize that Greenbelt is like, one exit away from College Park, and that both Greenbelt and New Carollton are INSIDE the beltway, right?

Posted by: NattyBo | November 29, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

80 to 90 minutes from Franconia-Springfield to New Carrolton or Greenbelt. Add in travel time to and from Metro stations, and that's 4 hours, on top of however long I spend at the stadium itself.

No thanks. Forget weeknights (and for all intents and purposes that includes Sunday afternoons). I'll look for Saturday afternoon games when the schedule comes out, buy tickets accordingly, and be contented with Tony Lamarzi for the rest of the home games.

Thanks, Mayor Fenty, for helping me save a thousand or so dollars a year.

Posted by: Franconia-Springfield | November 29, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Thanks for that Benfica - Milan video. Those were two incredible, world class strikes.

Posted by: Ed Ho | November 29, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Nick

New Carrolton is 8 miles from RFK and 5 Metro stops further out same line.

Greenbelt is 13 miles from RFK, and it's right next to College Park, but closer to the Beltway and 295. It's 25 minutes on the Metro from Gallery Place/Chinatown.

Lose 25-30% of fan base? I don't think so. I think in a new SSS they hold or increase, and even if they lost a few they still make more $$ playing in their own stadium and therefore probably deliver better product.

Posted by: WNT fan | November 29, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Yes, move to PG County; who cares what preceeds UNITED as long was we get a legit stadium. If DC is stupid enough to loose another pro team then that's just their problem. Go PG UNITED!!

Posted by: Hacksaw | November 29, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

"Thank you Kevin for this D.C. United jersey and congratulations on your terrific season," Fenty said. "It is great to see over 20,000 fans here at RFK supporting D.C. United. It is my hope that your fans will soon be coming to your brand new soccer stadium at Poplar Point in Anacostia. World class fans, and a world class team like D.C. United, deserve a world class stadium. And I am going to make it a priority to help you build that stadium. Thank you -- congratulations and good luck to the Black-and-Red!"

-Adrian Fenty on Oct 29 2006 (right before a mayoral elction mind you)

link to full article: http://www.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20061031&content_id=77524&vkey=news_dcu&fext=.jsp&team=t103

Posted by: Gorilla Monsoon | November 29, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

No way they lose 25-30% of their fan base. Maybe 10-15% which can be re-couped by new fans and 100% revenue stream coming from ticket sales, parking, concessions and advertising, re: stadium naming rights, stadium sign boards and jersey sponsors.

Posted by: Chico | November 29, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Even if they lose 50% of their fan base they come out ahead financially.

Posted by: dwbpnm | November 29, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I will support United wherever they go.*

*The closer they get to Charm City the more I'll be looking for a new club.

If they build a stadium somewhere I will likely go because I care about the club and having grown up with it and seeing it mature into the only intelligently run organization with the most far sighted of goals (Not the pretend ones that Lalas sees tomorrow) I owe it to continue my support.

Everyone is going to have a location preference and change is hard - I just state that my opinion is that PG County is just not good because the state of Maryland and any of its counties and cities can't seem to spend it's tax dollars with any sort of coherence and everything lacks quality. That said - there aren't many parcels of land with any proximity to a Metro in close-in suburban Virginia that aren't already developed or would like require a higher premium than land elsewhere. The Commonwealth isn't going to give anything away to attract the club.

But honestly - Adrian Fenty and the DC Government are failing to see what a city of international significance needs. They don't need the dying sport (baseball) and it's multi-million dollar playground that will be empty on most nights after year one.

Do kids around here even PLAY baseball?

Posted by: UVA-United | November 29, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Even if United moves to MD it should remain as D.C. United as the pointyball team washinton red skin

Posted by: 22202 | November 29, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Currently, I don't metro often because it's faster for me to drive from Reston to Lot 8 (45 minutes on a weeknight).

Driving to Greenbelt (or New Carrollton) on a weeknight, in beltway traffic, would make the drive well over an hour and 15 (assuming NO tie-ups). If I Metroed it would be a 20 minute drive to Vienna, then an hour to New Carrollton or an hour and 15 to Greenbelt, not including any platform wait time or unknown walk-time to the stadium. If you throw that in there, I'm looking at around a three hour commute to games.

I'm not sure if that would keep me from going, but I do know that I'd probably be attending alone because my wife would not put up with it, and I don't think either of my other two friends would either. So, right there you would lose three current season ticket holders.

I live in Reston, but most Virginians outside the beltway would probably face similar commute times. Arlingtonians would still be looking at around an hour each way via metro and Alexandrians who drive would probably be looking at a little less than that.

And for those of you saying it's only an extra 20 minutes on the Metro, are forgetting about the thousands of folks who drive into Lot 8, a vast majority of which come from Virginia.

Posted by: swwj | November 29, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Yo Adrian!

Posted by: Rocky | November 29, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and even though I live in Reston, (ten minutes from the proposed Dulles site) I wouldn't want the team out here for the same reason I wouldn't want it in Greenbelt of New Carrollton... you'd be alienating a large portion of the fan base either way.

Posted by: swwj | November 29, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

TO Virginians:

If you take the Metro to RFK, the ride to New Carrolton is only a few minutes longer on the same line. Unless you come up 395 from Virginia, New Carrolton is easier to drive to than RFK -- at least for most, since it's right off the beltway. It would also be more accssible for Baltimore fans.

Greenbelt, on the other hand, would be a pain in the ass for Metro riders, unless they're already on the Green Line. It's a long ride into town, as I discovered once when I parked there and took the Metro in. It would be Metro accesible, but it's a long ride -- for folks coming from Montgomery County, it will be well in excess of an hour. However, it would likely be right off the beltway as well, and close to 295, too.

For me, coming from Bethesda, Poplar Point would be preferable by Metro -- so would RFK, especioally when compared with Greenbelt. But, if I have to drive, either PG location would be better.

The point being that there is no "ideal" place. If they could build a stadium around Metro Center, they could make all the Metro riders happy (and drivers miserable). Any other location will be more convenient for some, and less convenient for others.

Posted by: FischFry | November 29, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Being accessible to MARC/Amtrak might also significantly increase the attendance of those from Baltimore.

I'd also bet we'd see a significant increase of fans from the 'burbs who don't feel safe going into SouthEast DC at night.

I understand that Virginians are reluctant to travel to Maryland. United could build a Stadium that straddled the DC/MD line, had a Metro stop with an escalator directly to the entrance of the stadium, and a secret, underground highway from Loudon County, which only BFE-based Virginians could drive in on and park for free, and you'd still be hesitant.

Oh well... I'll continue to drive to games from Western North Carolina, regardless of where they're played, be it DC/MD/VA.

Posted by: AlecW81 | November 29, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Why wouldn't someone who now drives from VA just keep driving past Lot 8, continue on 295 north up into PG another 8-12 miles, rather than go all the way around the Beltway?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 29, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

"United plays at 46-year-old RFK Stadium, where MacFarlane has said the franchise is losing $10 million a season."

What does this mean? Is DC United running an operating deficit of $10 mil per year? OR Does it mean that DCU would make $10 mil more if it own its own stadium and controlled all the revenues?

If it's the former, MacFarlane and company will be out at least another $30-40 million in losses before they move to any stadium. In addition to the tens of millions they paid to for the privilege to be investor/operators.

If it's the latter, MacFarlane knows a little about spin.

Posted by: Tommie | November 29, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I'll echo previous posters comments about this might be a bait and switch. The current RFK site is ideal for some type of regeneration. Let's hope that this is Victor's plan. With that said, Greenbelt/New Carrolton would be sweet as long as we can walk from the Metro to the park. FedEX is a nightmare with the shuttles.

Posted by: London Dan | November 29, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Keep in mind that they'd probably up the ticket price, which would decrease attendance numbers further.

Posted by: Glaucon | November 29, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

The sky is falling!

Posted by: Chicken Little | November 29, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Folks, as others have pointed out, New Carrollton is not significantly far from RFK. My normal gameday experience involves driving from downtown Baltimore to the New Carrollton station and then suffering through the spirit crushing 11 minute ride to RFK.

It's not a big deal for me, because I love United. I suspect many Virginians will feel the same if the stadium does end up in PG County.

Regarding the MARC angle, I have frequently used MARC for weeknight games and it's fantastic. No traffic issues, can drink loads of beer, etc. MARC has plans to provide weekend service by 2010, so it may be come the only way I ever travel to a match if the stadium ends up in New Carrollton.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | November 29, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Hadif = golazo

Posted by: Mike | November 29, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mike | November 29, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Is there a reason the RFK grounds are off the table? It seems reasonable to me that you could tear down RFK, and build a SSS in its place -- the location of which we all agree upon.

Besides, without the Nats, Skins, or United, what happens to RFK? It would surely be up for demolition. Then you've got all this unused land in a prime location.

Posted by: David | November 29, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

David: Various parties, including District officials, wish to reserve the option of building a stadium of FedEx dimensions on the RFK site, and luring the Deadskins back to the District at some point in the indefinite future. It is theoretically possible to build a smaller stadium somewhere on the periphery of the site and then raze RFK. This may yet happen. The problem is that you'd have to draw up a detailed design for a two-stadium project, even if you only intend to actually build the smaller of the two facilities in the near future. Otherwise, when it comes time to build the larger stadium, you may find that in building the smaller stadium, you've done something that limits your options with regard to the larger stadium.

Posted by: 22201 | November 29, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mickey | November 29, 2007 10:06 AM
------------------------

You haven't got that right at all. That place is a traffic nightmare because Snyder WANTED IT THAT WAY. He was the one who purposely built FedEx far enough from Metro that you have to pay a bloody fortune to park there.

Posted by: Stan | November 29, 2007 6:49 PM | Report abuse

I say Snyder, but it was actually Cooke who built the place.

Posted by: Stan | November 29, 2007 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Try to drive any day around the top of the beltway (Cabin John crossing) after 2:30 pm and live the nightmare yourself before judging what a traffic mess that is. Going through DC is no easier. Metro may get you to New Carrolton, but time is more important to most folks these days. I would probably go to games anywhere locally, but like others on this site, I'm not the average fan and lean toward the die hard side.

I'll remain cautiouslly optimisitic that Fenty will find a way to save face and keep DCU in DC, depsite what we all know will be the inevitible beureacratic and political morass that awaits them on other negotiating fronts.

Posted by: MR Caretaker | November 30, 2007 8:26 AM | Report abuse