It's Getting Drafty in Here

The final details still must be approved by MLS's competition committee, but it's looking like the expansion draft to provide players for the San Jose Earthquakes will take place Wed., Nov. 21.

The ground rules will probably be the same as last year when Toronto was preparing to enter the league:

*Current teams cannot lose more than one player.
*Teams can protect 11 of 28 roster players.
*Each team cannot leave more than one senior international player unprotected.
*Generation Adidas players are safe from selection and do not need be among the 11 protected.

So where does that leave D.C. United?

If the club knows for sure that Gomez is not returning, they won't need to protect him, but if there is some question, do they risk not protecting him? Moreno is a high-priced player nearing the end of his career -- do you protect him? Do you protect Vanney and leave Boswell exposed? Is Carroll worth protecting? What about Gros and his prospects for returning after the head injuries?

Boswell would be very appealing to an expansion team because he is young and, after rejecting a long-term contract last year, remains on a low salary. Vanney made a lot of cash this year and would probably have to negotiate a lower figure next season. (Salaries play a big part in the expansion draft and new teams are looking for bargains, thus leaving cap space available to pursue high-priced players on their own.)

So let's assume United protects eight players with no questions asked: Perkins, Namoff, McTavish, Burch, Simms, Olsen, Fred and Emilio. That would leave Gomez (senior int'l), Moreno (green card), Boswell, Vanney, Carroll, Gros, Kpene (green card) and Dyachenko (green card) for three remaining slots.

Thoughts?

By Steve Goff  |  November 5, 2007; 8:25 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Day of Rest? Ha!
Next: Breaking News: Arena Gone

Comments

I'd protect Carrol, Dyachenko and Vanney. If Gomez seems interested in staying, I'd obviously leave Rod exposed. Heh.

Posted by: Logan Circle | November 5, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Keep Boswell. I think he's just coming into his own. Not hardly mentioned, but I'd like to keep Kpene too. I don't really know why but he seems to possibly be a quick and opportune front runner or charging midfielder who will continue to mesh in better. And we might well lose scorers, to Qatar or wherever. #3, I dunno.

Posted by: Bob Nace | November 5, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I think Carrol gets exposed. Dyachenko, I think, is showing signs of one day being el engancho (#10) - if we don't pick one up. Assuming Gomito and Moreno go, keep Vanney, Boz, and Dyachenko. But I could easily move Kpene in for Vanney, and look to get a big defender this off-season. I really like Vanney, but it is obvious the defense needs upgrading. If Gomito and/or Moreno, they replace the defenders.

Posted by: Lost in BA | November 5, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Goff, get someone in WaPo IT to correct the time stamp, pls as I'm tiredof living in the future...

Posted by: Soy United! | November 5, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone hear that Yallop is in SJ and Clavijo is looking for a job soon? Who coaches LA next season?

Posted by: Soy United! | November 5, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't think there's a strong need to protect older, more expensive players like Gomez and Moreno since the expansion clubs likely won't take them.

I think you protect Boswell 'cos he's good. Everybody has off-years and certainly not playing on a consistent basis couldn't have helped.

Posted by: Bart | November 5, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Goff, get WaPo IT staff to update time stamp...

Yallop to SJ and Clavijo is looking for a job... so who coaches LA next season? ANd does Landy Cakes stay in Beckham's shadow or go to SJ with Yallop?

Posted by: Soy United! | November 5, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I think a healthy Gros is something United was missing this playoff run. If he's going to make a full return, I think he gets protected. If he isn't, that says what the team thinks about his injury.

It'd be hard leaving Dynachenko exposed after giving up a lot to get him back, but I think they will do so.

I think Vanney, Boswell, and Gros get protected.

That changes up a bit if Gomez is going to stay.

I wouldn't be shocked to see United offer Boswell in a trade if they think they're going to get something better in the backline.

Posted by: Chimaera | November 5, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

uh...

Posted by: Spicoli | November 5, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Goff, agree with your list -- Looks to me like Boswell likely to go -- and DCU should throw in, as a fabulous extra prize, Kpene.

Posted by: Ron | November 5, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

So is Addlery Gen-ADIDAS? I still wouldn't protect him over Rod or a returning Moreno. I agree that Kpene, Carroll and Gros should go unprotected; I doubt SJ rolls the die on either kpene or josh at this point. The Boswell and Vanney contract talks will decide which one goes unprotected, assuming you can negotiate contract before the draft.

I think Gomito has played his last game for United, we arent willing to pay the money he wants and can get from some other leagues. I would love to see Jaime finish out his career here in DC (in a few years, not now). We should make that happen ASAP.

Posted by: J-Mart | November 5, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Dyachenko should not get protected. Please ship him off. Keep Boswell & Vanney.

Posted by: Brian | November 5, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Gros, Carroll, Boswell. Keep your proven talent, even if you're protecting them at the end of their off-years. Dyachenko doesn't bring anything to the table that United can't just go get somewhere else. Hopefully, San Jose doesn't take Jaime in an attempt to recreate last year's Jason Kreis coup by Toronto. Also, hopefully, United wouldn't cave in to that tactic.

Vanney is expensive. Gomez might be able to get more somewhere else. Kpene isn't a proven commodity, so he's pretty much safe.

What's the story on Addlery? I wouldn't take him over anyone mentioned above, but is he Gen-Adidas?

Posted by: DWE4 | November 5, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

after having Toronto call DC's bluff last year and DC having to trade to get Dyachenko back, i wouldn't think they'd let him go again.

i think Carroll is left unprotected and the most likely to go.

Posted by: pat | November 5, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

The Boswell situation is fascinating to me. I think the contract situation played out the way that it did because Boswell thought he'd be weighing up a move to Europe at the conclusion of this season. Now, clearly this is not going to happen.

How does DC react to this situation? I mean, his salary is more palatable for a CB than that of Vanney - and both are clearly flawed players at this point in time. I'm not sure that Vanney is worth keeping around at several times the price of Boswell.

Also, Carroll is likely to be exposed. Especially if the rumors about Veron are true. That would leave him as the 3rd choice DM, as he was clearly outplayed this year by Simms. Plus he signed that improved contract last year.

Posted by: tmc | November 5, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Wow...

Posted by: Soy United! | November 5, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please define "generation adidas?"

Posted by: UVA to RFK | November 5, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

San Jose, not an expansion team, gets and expansion draft.

Houston, an expansion team, did not get an expansion draft.

Estoy confúsed :-)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | November 5, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

If there is to be a trade before the expansion draft, when does the MLS trade window open?

Posted by: Clark | November 5, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the time stamp is determined by the user's PC... weird..

Posted by: Soy United! | November 5, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Are Designated Players exempt from this? Or do teams need to protec them, too?

Posted by: kahlva | November 5, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Brilliant use of the accent mark, Mr. I-270.

perhaps we can now work on the tilde (enyay) character: n ~

Posted by: Anonymous | November 5, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Houston inherit the entire San Jose roster?

Posted by: 22201 | November 5, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

In my "mock expansion" scheme, I chose the same 8, plus Dyachenko, Boswell, and Mediate.

Dyachenko and Boz seem like no-brainers if you operate on the assumptions that Gomez is desert-bound, Moreno is retiring, and Vanney won't accept a new contract for less than 100k.

I chose Mediate simply out of personal preference. His story over the last few years is an impressive tale of persistance, might make a good dead-tree story for the long, slow, winter Goff.

Posted by: AlecW81 | November 5, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

1) Gros: Expose him as most teams will not take the chance on him d/t his medical history.

2) Carroll: Expose him as most teams will not take the chance of Brian actually playing for them.

3) Kpene: No goals in 700 minutes of soccer.

Posted by: delantero | November 5, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Boswell seemed really focused on things other than DC this season; someone in management needs to see where his head is at before deciding to keep him. He made some terrible and costly mistakes in the back. If Boswell wants to write in his blog more than play soccer, then we need to keep Vanney.

If Gros comes back and plays any more, he is crazy. He needs to retire and save his brain from any more trauma. He's already going to be in terrible risk of early-onset dementia and alzheimers as things stand.

Time to let Jaime and Carrol go, too.

Posted by: Hacksaw | November 5, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I've been hoping for this thread since last Thursday evening.

Totally agree with the first 8

Carroll -- after the next few days with the high profile agent, this becomes a very simple case. If Veron looks promising, you leave him open, wish Carroll well and don't worry about anyone else getting taken since you can only have one poached. If not sure, you protect him for needed depth in midfield.

Gros -- no brainer to me, they have to leave unprotected, because SJ isn't going to take the risk on him potentially not playing again.

Gomez -- unless his deal is done or very close to it, you have to leave him open. Salary cap vs. allocation $$ is the real issue.

Kpene (green card) -- a forward who can't score = no brainer

Vanney -- old, expensive, not fast = unprotected (low probability of losing). That said, I hope we can re-sign him for next year for depth. We have as many games next year as we did this year, and we need more depth in back.

Dyachenko -- I would protect him, and expect to see more of him next year.

Boswell -- protect for depth if nothing else. He may regain form, or at least add depth. I'd try talking contract renewal this off-seaseon for sure.

Moreno (green card) -- hardest one to call. If Veron deal is done, protect Moreno. If it's not protect Carroll. He's not the same as a few years ago, but he's still essential for our offense, and may be as much next year if we can't keep Gomez.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | November 5, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Why is everyone dropping Rod?

While he is a ways from actually being a permanent #10 like many are saying, he's a good player with good size, vision and a soft touch.

I thought he should have been used much more this season. He did a great job in his limited time against Chitown (in both the playoff game and their last regular season meeting).

Posted by: d | November 5, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Steve, I go with your analysis. Besides, you know people.

I-270, clever and funny as always.

I hope Brian Carroll goes, only for a fresh environment. He has demonstrated he can play, even if this season was a disappointment.

Posted by: Joe Doc | November 5, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Boswell = 30k
Vanney = 210k

That's a true no-brainer.

Posted by: AlecW81 | November 5, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Dyachenko should not get protected. Please ship him off. Keep Boswell & Vanney.

Posted by: Brian | November 5, 2007 12:11 PM

Two assists against Chicago as a substitute not enough? Glad you're not KP. Dyachenko stays, Boswell goes.

Posted by: Not enough? | November 5, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't know when the trade window opens, but I do know that DPs are not exempt. If, say, NY wants to keep Angel, they will have to protect him.

Since we have some sticky situations, you have to hedge your bets. Thus, a full list:

1. Moreno (don't be stupid like RSL; unless Moreno is 100% retiring, protect him. SJ will be looking to follow the Johnston "hold teams for ransom" model)
2. Gomez (unless Veron is sure to come and/or he's sure to go abroad, you've got to keep him)
3. Vanney (this is assuming we can get him to agree to a contract of about half of what he got this year; if not, leave him out there)
4. Boswell (if you leave Vanney unprotected, you have to protect Boswell)
5. Gros (assuming he won't have to retire due to his head injuries, which would be a real shame; that said, he is not irreplacable)
6. Carroll (the only way we protect him is if we know we can get a good trade for him; he is not going to work for us in a 442 and showed it every time he replaced Simms)
7. Dyachenko (do not let the sunk cost of giving up a 1st round pick to get him back, which was a dumb move, cloud your judgement; he's the 7th most valuable player of this group, and should be treated as such)
8. Kpene (I haven't given up on him, but 0 goals for the season is 0 goals for the season. Something tells me he won't be taken)

Payne, Kasper, and Soehn have a lot of things to figure out in the next 16 days. They need to figure out of Moreno is staying, if Gomez is going, if Veron is attainable, if Vanney is willing to re-sign for less, and if Gros can continue his career or not. Without knowing what's going on with each of those, judging the expansion draft for us is very difficult.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | November 5, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

What about Arguez? Was he promising enough to not leave him out there for another team?

Posted by: Matt | November 5, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I think we should protect Gomez and Moreno because they should end their MLS careers with DCU. If they end up leaving for a big paycheck outside of MLS, then fine, but we owe them every opportunity to finish their careers in MLS here. It's not like there are a lot of other gems we need to protect instead.

Kpene showed the most potential of the subs so he should be the third. Gros is a tough call. He should be one of the three if we think he will make it back..but it does not sound like the doctors have a handle on the situation and he has made it clear that he would walk away if he thought his health was in continued jeopardy. Vanney is nice but chances are he will get passed over in the draft anyway with the salary he is getting. If he doesn't, we might be able to get a good, younger Argentine or Brazilian for the value. Boswell is gone even if he is not selected in the draft. He made it seem like he wanted to test other waters before the season started and he is clearly not Soehn's favorite these days, so my guess is that he is not in the long term plans of DCU and they are not in his. Maybe someone like Jay Needham (I assume we still have his rights) can be brought into his spot. Carroll can be left unprotected and so can Dyachenko - his second coming offered no great revelations.

What is the deal with Brian Arguez. Is he exposed? Do we want him exposed? He is the only player on the roster who has not played a minute (at least that I can recall) despite being on the under 20 team (where he did not play a minute either). Are we expecting great things from him?

Posted by: noname | November 5, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

San Jose, not an expansion team, gets and expansion draft.

Houston, an expansion team, did not get an expansion draft.

Estoy confúsed :-)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | November 5, 2007 12:15 PM

----------------------

Houston did not get an "expansion" draft because the league did not expand in 2006.

San Jose gets an "expansion" draft because the league is expanding from 13 to 14 teams in 2008.

Posted by: BK | November 5, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

As an addendum, I predict San Jose will take Carroll off our hands, unless we leave Moreno or Gomez unprotected.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | November 5, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Gros is retiring. AKA never playing again and therefore doesn't need to be a part of this debate. Devastating.

Posted by: insider | November 5, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Arguez is a Generation Adidas player, so we don't have to worry about him.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | November 5, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Arguez is Generation Adidas so we don't need to protect him.

Posted by: Bret | November 5, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I think Leesburg hit the nail on the head. I'm surprised to see Vanney on so many people's lists. I don't think Vanney or Gros are realistic targets for an expansion team. Protect Boswell, Dyachenko and then see how the other factors play out with regard to Carrol, Gomez and Moreno.

Posted by: Nick | November 5, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Let's re-sign Dema (red card)...

Posted by: Erick | November 5, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Dyachenko had beautiful through balls against Chicago. Watch him. He's a keeper.

I can't disagree more with "noname" about keeping Jaime. I don't need to see him hobble around the field and offer precious little any more. At best he's a 30 minute end of match sub. But he's far too expensive for that.

Keep Boswell and expose Vanney. The expirement did not work. Bos has height and youth over Vanney.

Posted by: David | November 5, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I'd protect Boswell, Carroll, and Dyachenko.

Boswell regressed this season (or his flaws were more exposed) but he is young, has potential, and is on a very reasonable contract. I think Dyachenko has a lot of potential and provides valuable depth. The reason I keep Carroll is for trade purposes. He dropped in value this season, but I suspect there are some teams out there willing to roll the dice on him.

Alternately, I'd protect Moreno over Carroll, because Jaime can give us a big boost even as a super-sub. SJ would likely take Carroll, freeing up some salary cap. I don't protect Gomez, because he had an up and down season (he never looked fully fit to me) and I think he'll end up taking one last big contract out in the desert.

Something DC has to consider is what rule changes MLS will make regarding the salary cap, roster limitations, and the possibility of a second DP slot.

Posted by: noptov52 | November 5, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking that the front office knows a lot more than me about whether Moreno, Gomez, and Boswell plan on returning next year. So who they protect will say a lot.

But looking at this from the perspective of a new team like San Jose... Dyachenko would be awfully attractive. Especially after his two assists in the playoffs. I want Gros to be back in DC next year, but I don't think you need to protect him because that would be too big a risk for a young team.

I'm going to protect Gomez, Dyachenko, and Boswell. Then cross my fingers that they will take Kpene.

Posted by: Shatz / DCUMD | November 5, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Keep Bos, Rod, and Moreno.

I think Bos could get something of value via trade.

I don't see them taking Vanney (sigh). They might take Gomez, so be it, but probably will go cheaper and take Carroll or Kpene.

Posted by: trip | November 5, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

hey steven, can you find out how the Canadians will be considered here?
TFC's Canadians are domestics, so are they part of that international category for the purposes of the draft or are they domestics?
I'd hate to see TFC have to protect all their Canadians except 1.

Posted by: satan's choice | November 5, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

TFC doesn't have more than 11 players that anyone would actually want.

Posted by: AlecW81 | November 5, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I've heard from people that know Gros and they have said that he will be retiring. I know we are not supposed to start rumors on this blog, so I'm not saying anything else about it.

Goff -- Can you check into that?

I hope he gets a clean bill of health, and plays, but not at risk to his future.

Posted by: steve-o | November 5, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

To answer I-270 -- I am not sure if you're question is serious. Houston wasn't an expansion team -- it was merely a relocated franchise. They had all their players, etc., already. The San Jose franchise maybe inheriting the name, but it is very much an expansion team. It has no players, therefore the draft is made to give them a shot at stocking a professional roster.

On Dyachenko -- I know he's young, but he's very frustrating for me. Along with his size and speed, he also seems to possess the other gifts needed to succeed. His play in the second half against Chicago was delightful. Too often, he shows a lack of touch, or gracefulness, that makes me wonder if he'll ever realize his prodigious physical skills. Even in that last game, there was at least one play that should have been a really dangerous attack, but Rod touched the ball too far ahead, and Pickens got it. I don't know how to develop that touch, but if he finds it, he will really be a force.

I would like to say that Kpene should be left unprotected, but United has few options up front. Will there be 2 DPs? Do they want to bring back Moreno, and if so, in what role? What will he accept? If they think they have a shot at Gomez, they must protect him. I'd say protect Dyachenko, Gomez. If Veron is on his way, and Gomez can be signed, then do not protect Carroll. Otherwise, you have to protect him. If KP thinks he has Gomez and Veron for next year, then protect Boswell -- maybe he'll focus on the game again...

Posted by: FischFry | November 5, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

so much depends on contract status.

Gomez - protected if he'll re-sign, otherwise no point. The protect all but 1 SI rule may come into play (Kpene is SI in 2008 so counts as one now for this draft?)

Gros - protected if any chance he'll return

Boswell - protected if any chance he'll re-sign. Also consider in case he wants to trial in Europe and might return in a couple years.

Carroll - would protect, proven MLS player

Moreno - wouldn't protect

Kpene - if counts as SI next year, wouldn't protect. Limited players with potential and pace are available as replacements.

Dyachenko - 1st round pick blunder makes hard to let go. If Soehn thinks his playing time goes up in 2008, protect. I'm not convinced.

Vanney - unclear if SJ would take on his salary (? anything guaranteed left).

So short of guarantees about the above questions, protect Carroll, Boswell, Vanney. All would be useful depth players if not starters next year. Losing Kpene or Dyachenko is losing an unproven player, something that can be replaced in the 2008 draft.

Posted by: undrafted | November 5, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking Boswell may not be a good fit with Soehn (some players for whatever reason just don't fit some coaches). If so, TRADING him would be the best move. Someone in MLS will give up value for the 2006 Defender of the Year.

Posted by: undrafted | November 5, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please define "generation adidas?"

Posted by: UVA to RFK | November 5, 2007 12:14 PM
___________________________

RE: Addlery...No, he is not generation adidas.

Posted by: apqjr | November 5, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Protect Gomez, Boswell, and Dyachenko. Force San Jose into viewing Carroll or Kpene.

...Even though something tells me whomever SJ chooses from DC will be an All-Star next year.

Posted by: B.A. | November 5, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

FischFry:

MLS considers Houston to be an expansion team because it was a new market in 2006. MLS does not consider San Jose an expansion team - it was a dormant franchise. San Jose keeps the name and the history, including two MLS Cup titles.

No, the question was not serious. The use of the word "expansion" in this scenario is acceptable, because, (1) as noted above, MLS is increasing the number of teams by one and (2) "draft to allocate players to a non-expansion city which once had a franchise but currently does not" is a mouthful.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | November 5, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

3) Kpene: No goals in 700 minutes of soccer.

Posted by: delantero | November 5, 2007 12:27 PM

------------------

My sentiments exactly! And just to clarify, Goff listed 8 players, of which only 3 could be protected. In addition to delantero's 3 above, I'd add Vanney (too expensive). The last one is tough. Boswell is still young and has plenty of ability (although he underachieved this year, possibly with the assistance of some unhelpful coaching), Dynachenko ditto. which leaves Moreno or Gomez.

If I'm GM of an expansion team and see a former league MVP exposed, I take him and pay him hoping to get two solid years and instant success. Meanwhile, I don't see anyone but DC as willing to pay an aging Jamie decent money. So, I leave Jamie exposed. That said, it's clear that DC _usually_ plays at a much higher level with Jamie on the pitch, so basically I'd like to see them gamble with leaving him exposed and then pay him to be a 2nd half sub next year.

A final thought on Kpene. He's a nice kid, and people have been citing him as the answer to our lack of team speed. I call BS. Dude's had a very good shot at making an impact and simply doesn't have the ability to hold the ball and create something out of nothing. Mor does he have any goalscoring mojo: 700 minutes and 0 goals. Players like him are literally a dime a dozen in Africa, and he's had his shot. I'd like to see a DC scouting trip to Africa leading to some other youngsters getting a shot in MLS.

Posted by: edgeonyou | November 5, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Kpene isn't exactly "Young" either, he'll be 25 in January.

Posted by: AlecW81 | November 5, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I'd think that before you left a player like Boswell unprotected (guaranteeing he'd be picked up) you'd trade him.

He surely has trade value in the league.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 5, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Dyachenko, Bos, and Carroll

Rod's shown pretty well recently, he's really the only useful attacking subs we have (other than Moreno). Bos and Brian can be used as trade bait if we decide they wont be helping the team out next year, they had really high stock last year.

I say we need Jay Needham back from PR asap. Give him a real contract, don't try to push a developmental one on him - defense should be our priority this winter

That is, assuming we keep Gomez (and maybe Moreno...as much as I love him, he wont be able to run another full season)

Posted by: Skyler | November 5, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

1.) Green Card holders don't count as Senior Internationals for MLS. Just FYI

2.) AS stated before, to not protect Boswell at his near league-minimum salary is to guarantee that he is gone next year.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | November 5, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Steven-

What's the timeline regarding players with existing contracts and the SuperExpansionDraft?

I mean in regards to the fringe/developmental/reserve players. Does the "purge" of all the talent we are not keeping from the reserve team happen before or after the draft? Or can we read into it that if people are left exposed, they won't be invited back for next season? I'm thinking in regards to last (or was it the year before) season when we dropped almost all the reserve players.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | November 5, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Wednesday November 21 seems way too early to be having this draft to me. The champions won't be finished celebrating yet and one of their players will be gone.

Posted by: Shatz / DCUMD | November 5, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I would keep Gros b/c I am sure he will make a full return if the doctors will let him and I would keep Boswell b/c the year before he was the best defender maybe that says something about the coach and I would keep Gomez if he's not retiring and keep Morono b/c he is the top goal scorer and I would get rid of Simms he dosen't do anything for the team. And no offence to anyone we need a new coach how can a team so good go to basically bad that says something about a coach. Also Namoff needs to go but thats about it

Posted by: fcfsoccerbabe | November 5, 2007 10:05 PM | Report abuse

San Jose has created one of the most amazingly cool -- and laugh-out-loud FUNNY -- websites I've seen in a while.

Do you have futbolitis?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | November 5, 2007 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Do you have futbolitis?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | November 5, 2007 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Do you have futbolitis?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | November 5, 2007 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Do you have futbolitis?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | November 5, 2007 11:23 PM | Report abuse

San Jose has put together one of the coolest -- and laugh-out-loud FUNNY -- websites I've seen in a long time.

Do you have futbolitis?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 5, 2007 11:53 PM | Report abuse

I think LeesburgSoccerFan's analysis was spot-on (see 12:31). To add a few thoughts:

- I think Boswell is most likely to get taken if left exposed. You have to protect Boswell: he's cheap, he's young, he's good (in spite of a down year), and he plays a position where we're thin.

- Vanney might be expensive enough that he won't get taken, but we have big problems if we lose him. It looks like we're losing Gros, which leaves us with only five quality defenders - that's extremely thin. We can't go down to four; we'd have to sign somebody if we lose Vanney or Boswell.

- I think Gomez is gone. All the signs point to it. And I think DCU might not be too upset about that because losing him frees up money and cap space to sign Veron (of course, if we have neither Gomez nor Veron, we're screwed).

- It pains me to no end to say this, but, at this point in his carreer, I think Jaime is overrated. Unfortunately, I don't know that better options are available.

My conclusion: protect Boswell, Dyachenko, and Vanney. Jaime probably gets taken; use Gomez's foreign international slot to sign a striker.

Posted by: Jeff M | November 6, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm stunned at the lack of loyalty in this group to Moreno and, to a lesser degree, Gomez. Moreno defines this franchise, and it would be a crime to let him go. The team simply plays better with him on the field, though admittedly he had a bad game against Chicago. Gomez saw less opportunities this year with all the added talent, but he is still our best attacking player. Protect him if he can be resigned before the draft.

Of the others, I'd protect Rod. He was dynamite against Chicago and I agree that he is (or should be) the future number 10. He'sgot great vision and remarkably quick and accurate distribution for a big man.

I was underwhelmed by both Vanney and Boswell. They won't take Vanney, and if we leave Bobby open he will go for sure. I'd regret that, but he is too slow to anchor an elite defense. His award last year was due in significant part to the play up top and in the midfield - the ball was rarely in our defensive third. It is clear to me that we need to go out and sign a top center back to play with McTavish, Burch and Namoff. Then Vanney or Boswell come off the bench. You don't protect a bench defender over Moreno, Gomez, or your future number 10. Same goes for Carrol and the rest.

Posted by: regular fan | November 6, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Though this is a United-oriented thread, I would like to say as a Southern Californian that the Galaxy should not protect anybody and leave everybody exposed. They're stupid enough to do that. Then again, any team with Alexi Lalas as GM and Tim Leiweke as team president would corner the market on stupid.

There's no way to expose front-office personnel to the expansion draft, is there? Damn!

Posted by: Joseph D'Hippolito | November 6, 2007 7:18 PM | Report abuse