MLS and More

*Insider loyalists already know that Pia Sundhage is getting the U.S. women's national team coaching job. Official announcement at 3:30 Eastern time.

*About 36,000 tickets have been sold for MLS Cup at Estadio RFK. If D.C. United had made it, a sellout of 46,000+ was certain. With New England and Houston, 40,000 seems like a reasonable expectation.

*United Coach Tom Soehn and General Manager Dave Kasper are in South America this week on a scouting mission. One source tells me they are attempting to finalize a deal with Argentina's Juan Sebastian Veron. Another source tells me they are looking at Veron as well as others.

*I'm hearing that the Red Bulls are looking at current MLS assistant coaches to interview for their vacant head coaching job. That does not necessarily mean they won't end up hiring a foreign coach, but they apparently want to explore the MLS ranks closely.

*A fans' Web site has taken over an English non-league club. Read about it here.

*The price was right: Drew Carey has joined the MLS expansion Seattle investment group.

*Derby does not want Eddie Lewis playing in the USA friendly Saturday at South Africa. Jonathan Spector and Heath Pearce are in. Also, Landon Donovan has been ruled out with a calf injury.

*The 64-team NCAA women's tournament field has been unveiled. Georgetown will make its first appearance. First- and second-round matches will be played this weekend.

By Steve Goff  |  November 13, 2007; 9:29 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USSF to Name New Women's Coach: Sundhage
Next: It's Official

Comments

Spector and Pearce in. Lewis gone. Perhaps Califf could be recalled also.

I like Landon, but this will open up some possibilities for some other players who should be getting serious looks.

Posted by: Postmaster | November 13, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

From the Carey article: "Second, Carey wanted to be part owner of the only professional team in America that has a marching band."

Uhhh, I seem to know a certain other football team with a marching band. What is their name again? Well, maybe they meant professional soccer team.

Posted by: EssEff | November 13, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Yep...and I believe the Ravens have a marching band too.

Posted by: Paul | November 13, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Just curious to find out what time the Seattle announcement is today. Thanks.

Posted by: DC United Fan | November 13, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Re: Marching band.

Ugh! With any luck, the supporters clubs will drown out "Louie, Louie."

Ugh!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | November 13, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Generally, a marching band of men in any other footballing nation would inspire police to don riot gear.

Posted by: Logan Circle | November 13, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

11 am EST, at the end of The Price is Right.

Posted by: RK | November 13, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Logan Circle | November 13, 2007 10:44 AM

----------------------------
Funny enough - some of the professional teams in Austria having marching bands - pretty much march onto the field and then stand there though...

Posted by: Mickey | November 13, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Donovan out = Jozy starts ?

Posted by: emanon | November 13, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Goff - i know you have ideas now about the Soccer Insider buying up a club now! get everyone to throw in $50 and we can buy a Championship level team!

Posted by: pat | November 13, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Eddie Lewis haters missed a prime opportunity here: "Derby does not want Eddie Lewis playing in the USA friendly Saturday at South Africa." Neither do I!

Actually, I am neutral on Lewis, not that he's waiting for my endorsement.

Posted by: Greifie | November 13, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Well, I never heard of Ebbsfleet United before, but
now I have an influence on the team lineup, Come on you Ebbsfleet! or something.

Posted by: Drunken Duncan | November 13, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pat | November 13, 2007 10:52 AM

We have to have more modest goals. Like a USL-2 team.

Posted by: James | November 13, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I think it's wonderful that my hometown now has an MLS "fanchise". Carey was smart to make his announcement at the George and Dragon in Fremont...he clearly has the Seattle soccer community mapped out.

Posted by: BigWave | November 13, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I know, let's get some local celebrities together, buy a USL team, and get it promoted to MLS! We can play in some cavernous NFL stadium that doesn't get used too much. Wait, someone just stole my idea...

Posted by: Logan Circle | November 13, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Anybody know how large the MLS Cup viewership is in Europe and/or Latin America?

Posted by: Juan-John | November 13, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

There is already an effort in the US to duplicate the mysoccerclub model (http://www.mysoccerclubusa.com).

john

Posted by: Anonymous | November 13, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Derby won't get rid of Eddie Lewis, but the likely starting mid for the U.S. (Feilhaber) can't even get on the pitch for the bottom feeders!

You would think that from sheer desperation, the gaffer would make some changes. From what I've seen Feilhaber has rarely even made the subs bench.

Posted by: delantero | November 13, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Goff, any insider tips available on cool things that will be going on this weekend for the MLS cup? Will anything like the All-Star festivities in Colorado be going on before the game?

Posted by: Sean G | November 13, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I think with Donovan out, Adu gets the start in the whole behind Dempsey, should be fun to watch seeing how South Africa isn't that great(compared to other African footballing powers), and a marching band?? Seriously...

Posted by: Chase | November 13, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

With Donovan out how likely is Altidore to start?
He and Dempsey up top? I would not mind seeing that. I would even like to see he and Freddy, like at the U-20.

Posted by: jgildea | November 13, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Dave Nolan and the Hoyas Women's team. Dave is a great guy who has worked very hard for this sucess. Plus he's a massive Liverpool supporter.

Posted by: Liverbird | November 13, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

on the Red Bulls - Just make Harkes or Richie Williams the coach....

Posted by: bobf | November 13, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: emanon | November 13, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | November 13, 2007 12:03 PM

That's why Derby sucks and how poor their manager is. He should be sacked.

Posted by: td | November 13, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

File under the 'and more' category - a nice Reading drool on the Gunners play:

Posted by: GoGunners | November 13, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I know it's a foregone conclusion that United is going to sign Veron but I think they probably could get Riquelme for perhaps only a little more. He's really what they need particularly if Gomez is gone.

Posted by: Orange 14 | November 13, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Carey had earlier been quoted as being interested in investing in a Cleveland MLS franchise. By throwing in his lot with Seattle, he has presumably abandoned that idea.

Posted by: 22201 | November 13, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Riquelme, Veron, Riquelme . . I really don't care who we sign as long as the DP realizes the jersey he wears carries some passion. They'd better not come here thinking they can take days off as they wind up their career.

First, I want a victory in the CONCACAF Champions Cup. Second, either a Shield or MLS Cup.

Posted by: delantero | November 13, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"First, Carey wanted to allow fans to buy memberships that would allow them to, among other things, vote on the fate of the team's general manager."

A certain GM in LA is hoping this doesn't become a trend.

I do love the idea and it is great way to get the fans involved. Although I say take it one step further and allow the fans to buy shares of the team like Ebbsfield...or the Green Bay Packers!

Posted by: Anonymous | November 13, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | November 13, 2007 02:21 PM

DITTO!

Posted by: Soy United! | November 13, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

There's a huge difference between Riquelme and Veron: other teams-- ones who pay in pounds and euros-- want Riquelme.

I don't know what Estudiantes wants for Veron-- a few million US dollars?-- but based on the botched Atletico deal, Villareal expects in the vicinity of €8 million, or, right now, about $11.7 million. No freaking way is DC-- or any MLS team-- going to spend that kind of money.

Get Riquelme out of your mind. He's not "a little more expensive"-- his transfer fee is probably more than the entire revenue stream for DCU this year.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | November 13, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Goffinho, any word on specific assistants being contacted about the NY Job? Are Harkes and Williams in the running?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 13, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------
Villareal won't get much of anything as they haven't played him all year. He can terminate the contract at the end of the season if he hasn't appeared in at least 10% of the matches (FIFA Article 15). This is why he will be gone in January at bargain basement prices.

Posted by: Orange 14 | November 13, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

That's the thinnest forward line-up I've ever seen for the USMNT. Just two guys, one of whom has never been capped above the U20 level. What happens if they have an injury? Yikes!

If my name was Eddie Johnson, or Chris Rolfe, I'd be kinda pissed right now.

Posted by: Matt | November 13, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Bobbyboswell.com states that Alecko is back at DC United, can anyone confirm this.

Posted by: sdp | November 13, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

The Esky thing is a joke. Sadly.
I wouldn't mind him back for increased depth at Forward.

Posted by: AlecW81 | November 13, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sean G | November 13, 2007 12:05 PM
The Screaming Eagles have a bunch of activities listed.........

Posted by: Shatz / DCUMD | November 13, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

"This is why he will be gone in January at bargain basement prices."

If you think an MLS team spending US$ is going to be able to compete with a Premiership team spending pounds, or a team spending Euros, you're way off base.

There will be multiple offers from fairly large clubs who want Riquelme. What do you think Payne's budget is? I'm thinking $3 million is a good over/under for a significant DP, because I suspect that's around Veron's price tag. Maybe $4 million. That's a lot of scratch, though, even on a three year deal, as it'll probably take that again to pay him for three years. Maybe he's worth $8 million to DC.

But assuming DC has $4 million to spend: at today's exchange rate, that's £1.9 million. Or €2.7 million. DC could bid for Riquelme, who has no EU residency restriction, about what Birmingham City paid for Liam Ridgewell. Chris Brunt went for £3 million. No way are teams like Newcastle, who have expressed a great deal of interest, going to allow Riquelme to go because DC was willing to spend about what Watford paid for the illustrious Jobi McAnuff.

Riquelme may be going at a bargain basement price, but anyone with US$ to spend can't even afford the 99p shops. There are a few players who could have enough ROI to justify such a big expense, and there are a couple MLS teams who are so stupid with money (RBNY, cough) that they would overpay and take the loss. I don't see DC, who have made an art out of finding inexpensive talent in South America, paying much money on anyone. Certainly not Riquelme.

I'm so sure I'm right that if someone plausibly (to me) rebuts my case, AND if Riquelme joins DC United, I'll never post in Goff's comments section again, not anonymously, not nothing.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | November 13, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I bet they're lining up to coach in NY.
Yeepers.

Posted by: Hacksaw | November 13, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

"I bet they're lining up to coach in NY."

Considering that failing in NY doesn't seem to taint a resume in the least, I don't think there are any MLS assistants who would turn it down.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | November 13, 2007 6:02 PM | Report abuse

So if Derby was willing to let Feilhaber go, I don't think that bodes well for where he fits into their plans.

Posted by: Eugene | November 13, 2007 7:54 PM | Report abuse

yo anyone know when and where the mvp presentation will be and where

Posted by: TTTT | November 13, 2007 8:41 PM | Report abuse

I hope common & dollar sense step up & we don't go for Veron. He was old & slow in Manchester, slower still at the Bridge. I'd still try for another gem like Gomez.

Posted by: SW Trevor in Section 231 | November 13, 2007 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why DCU after Veron! He is not that great to begin with and now he is I think 33 yrs old.

Posted by: td | November 13, 2007 9:11 PM | Report abuse

what an amazing job of self delusion this toaster with the appellation of mastadon juan perpetuates. he can't find a single thing wrong with a side for whom he can't even seem to find a blog on which to post - yet, everything a team does that actually accomplishes something is complete rubbish at every turn. why not question how heaps miraculously concussed your star (and quality) striker at (yet again) such an opportune time for the revulsion in the away leg or something useful like, not posting at all.

Posted by: chris | November 13, 2007 9:54 PM | Report abuse

"he can't find a single thing wrong with a side for whom he can't even seem to find a blog on which to post"

How about, just above your comment: "Considering that failing in NY doesn't seem to taint a resume in the least" and "there are a couple MLS teams who are so stupid with money (RBNY, cough)"?

I'm here because God told me that DC fans are too big for their britches. And He also points out that you can't afford Riquelme with your pathetic US dollars. Confirm or deny.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | November 13, 2007 10:37 PM | Report abuse

"I'd still try for another gem like Gomez."

Listen to Trevor. Use the vaunted DC United La Primera archive and unearth another gem.

Have you heard of this guy Filomeno? I hear he's burning up the Greek league!

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | November 13, 2007 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Incidentally, Chris, I do think that Heaps of Crap cheap-shotted Angel in Foxboro. The guy played for Duke. He knows how to jump. The knee came up after he reached the apex of his leap. The ref blew the call, but it was a very tough one to see. I hope Heaps fractures his leg in seven places on Sunday.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | November 13, 2007 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | November 13, 2007 10:37 PM
------------------------------
My calling is much more humble; I enjoy soccer. I don't think DC is well served by signing an aging player who may only have one or two seasons left. I agree that Riquelme would be a big stretch. My only point is that Villareal is going to off load him and won't get much in return. The value of Riquelme's contract with whomever picks him up will be interesting to see.

Posted by: Orange 14 | November 14, 2007 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Couldn't agree more about Veron being a waste of money as a DP, and I'm dead certain that Riquelme would do more for the point total than Veron. But when it's said that Riquelme will be available at a good price, it's like me being told that a 1963 Lotus Elite is available at a good price: however much the price reduction, it'll still go for about five times what I could conceivably afford.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | November 14, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

There's someone on here who simply talks too much. Very long hot air posts and antagonistic ramblings. About what I don't know....I've gotten to where I just skip over them.

Posted by: spectre | November 14, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse