MLS Cup Predictions

Okay, here's your chance:

Who wins? Why? And by what score?

I am going with the Revolution, 2-1. Why? Because it's the year of New England sports.

While you're pondering.....

My story today is mostly about Emilio winning the MVP award. However, DCU fans most certainly will be interested in the other news toward the bottom.

The Globe takes a look at the Revs' preparations.

And the Chronicle profiles Richard Mulrooney.

More MLS news later.....

By Steve Goff  |  November 16, 2007; 8:49 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Special One
Next: MLS Updates

Comments

From Steve's article:
"United is set to play in the Champions' Cup again early next year, but with CONCACAF seriously exploring a European-style Champions League, there is a possibility clubs such as United and MLS Cup finalists Houston and New England could compete in another regional tournament late next year."

Give the lack of depth and the performance in the other non-MLS competitions, I'm not sure this is a good thing.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | November 16, 2007 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I hate the Revulsion, and am not too fond of Houston...
I hope for a zero zero draw and Heaps misses a PK so they loose AGAIN.

Posted by: jgildea | November 16, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

While I would love to see a Concacaf Champions League, the schedule is getting a bit cramped -- even worse with home-and-homes abroad.

Houston 1-0 -- the defense has been incredible. On a limb, Stuart Holden the goalscorer and MVP.

Posted by: RK | November 16, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see quality goals (or heck, really dumb, embarassing goals) for both teams. I'd like to see Reis get burned at least once. I'd like a tie at the end of regulation (after a see-saw battle), a tense overtime with no goals, and then PKs at the end, capped by United stealing the thunder as one of the younger players (say, Burch) is forced by his teammates to streak across the field as the last kicker is approaching the ball....

Who cares who wins, given these two teams? Both are *capable* of quality soccer, and both could stink up the joint. I'd like an entertaining game, one that "sells soccer" well to the public.

And maybe, just maybe, can we have Dave O'Brien doing an on-field interview and have him taken out by Dema (in a surprise guest appearance)?....

Posted by: more for my money, please | November 16, 2007 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Disney fixes the match so that they can make a Disney Channel movie. Houston wins 1-0 on a Nate Jaqua goal in the 90th minute after he receives an inspiring look from his father who is sitting in the stands. Ching comes off the bench to get the assist. DeRosario gets the girl (dammit the girls always go for the foreign guys).

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | November 16, 2007 9:25 AM | Report abuse

New England, 3-1. I just hope it's not a boring game.

Posted by: Hacksaw | November 16, 2007 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I see Houston 2-1. Twellman gets a cheap-o as usual.
Houston just playing too well defensively to lose to the New Englanders. And the way they attacked continuously in the conf final is inspiring.
The only thing that I see as troublesome is Ching's injury - this could spell doom for them as Emilio's did for DCU.

BTW, Goff, you said that Emilio went full 90 in second leg. I seem to remember that Addlery subbed in for him around 70 minutes. And as little skill as Addlery seems to have, he really helped open the game with his speed and physical push.

Posted by: marksman | November 16, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I score twice to lead NE to an easy 2-0 victory.

Posted by: Khano Smith | November 16, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

i think Emilio was subbed in the final playoff game for Addlery after he could barely walk on his ankle?

Posted by: emilio subbed | November 16, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

---------
---------

oh, the life of a journalist and blogger; getting fact-checked by the internet nerds. but indeed, according to:
D.C. United Draws a Conclusion
Second-Half Comeback Ties the Game, but It Isn't Enough as the Fire Advances on Aggregate Goals: United 2, Fire 2
By Steven Goff
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, November 2, 2007; Page E01

---------
Emilio left in the 66th minute, clearly not at full strength. "It hurt bad, very bad," he said of his left ankle.
---------

Posted by: Facts | November 16, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Indeed marksman, Emilio did sub out for Addlery and I remember thinking the same thing. Once Addlery came in, United turned it on and started scoring goals. I'm not an Addlery fan whatsoever, but he really changed things in that game.

BTW, I love the CONCACAF Champions League idea...but it should be in lieu of the Champions Cup competition. It'd be nice to see four groups of four.

Maybe the sixteen could be made up from four each for MLS and FMF (could even tie some of those bids to the SuperLiga to make it actually mean something), one each to champs of Costa Rica, Honduras, T&T, Jamaica. Two spots could go to the top two finishers in the Central American Interclubes tournament and the other two to the top two finishers in the Caribbean club competition.

That would provide equal geographic representation across the confederation.

Posted by: DE | November 16, 2007 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Houston looks best when they play on their tiny home field. With no Ching they loose 3-1

Posted by: pc | November 16, 2007 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I guess it all depends if Ching can go or not. But at the end of the day, NE will choke it. It's in their DNA. Houston 2-0

Posted by: Chico | November 16, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Concacaf Champions League seems to be pretty redundant with Concacaf Champions Cup.

My guess is it's pretty unlikely and mostly was just Concacaf faxing out a press release. Superliga did well in it's inaugural season but the cost of doing a bigger competition with teams from smaller countries might overwhelm any revenues.

Not to mention too many games for MLS teams without much roster depth.

Posted by: garbaggio | November 16, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Not to mention too many games for MLS teams without much roster depth.

Posted by: garbaggio | November 16, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I'm also taking Houston. NE has not looked strong in the attack, while Houston's defense will rise to the occasion. If Houston gets a goal, it's over. I'll take Ngwenya early in the 2nd half, and DeRosario on a late counter. 2-0.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | November 16, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Addlery had as much to do with opening up the game as Dyachenko did. If I remember correctly, he had both assists of the night and had some dangerous play down the left side. Not to say Addlery didn't have a part in the attack, but Rod really took it to the next level.

Houston 1:0 New England

Another barn burner with Houston playing mad defense and waiting paitently for its goal. If they get one early they may go for two, but pretty unlikely without Ching playing. Everyone would like to see a high scoring affair, but it aint gonna happen.

Posted by: J-Mart | November 16, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Prediction? I would have saved any goal that is scored.

Posted by: Hope Solo | November 16, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Houston wins by 3 to 2. New England can't get beyond curse with Houston. Houston has a better depth than New England.

Posted by: td | November 16, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Or maybe Twellman scores the winning goal, while he is wearing a bloody sock...

Posted by: RK | November 16, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Or maybe Twellman scores the winning goal, while he is wearing a bloody sock...

Posted by: RK | November 16, 2007 10:41 AM

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.......what a nightmare that would be...at RFK, no less.

Posted by: marksman | November 16, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Twellman scores with his gigantic head in the 79th minute to give the Revulsion a 1-0 victory.

I'll be asleep in my seat by that point, unfortunately.

Posted by: Hoost | November 16, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

New England craps on the game again and plays 10 in the box. Houston wins anyway, scoring in th 2,054th minute of extra time and wins 1-0. Meanwhile everybody in America who likes good soccer loses.

Posted by: NE plays like cowards in finals | November 16, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Khano,

"I score twice to lead NE to an easy 2-0 victory."

Sure...that'll happen, but then you'll have to wake up and actually play the game.

I think you meant "I scored two goals all season".

Houston wins 3-2.

Posted by: the cheat | November 16, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Ives is reporting Jozy Altidore is being looked at by Real Madrid. Holy craptards.

Posted by: Logan Circle | November 16, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

DCU 2 - 0 over Houston.

Oh wait....

Posted by: bobf | November 16, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of who is here for the final, as.com is reporting that Real Madrid's assistant sports director is here and may have talks with NYRB about Altidore going over to Spain. Apparently, RM has been keeping a close eye on Altidore. For those who don't know, As is generally viewed as a mouthpiece of Real Madrid. See the article here: http://www.as.com/futbol/articulo/futbol-madrid-sigue-altidore-goleador/dasftb/20071116dasdaiftb_42/Tes

Posted by: Enzo | November 16, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

We're the only pro team in town that won't win a championship this season.

Posted by: Boston Bruins | November 16, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

My prediction for Sunday? I'll be extremely bitter, and will drink alot.

Posted by: United fan | November 16, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Houston/New England 0

Barra Brava/Screaming Eagles/La Norte 1

Posted by: Juan-John | November 16, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, Revolution 3-2, because there's something in that "Dirty Water" that the Revs drink, with the winning goal in second overtime stoppage time.

Posted by: Juan-John | November 16, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

prediction: NE scores early on a Shalrie Joseph shot that deflects off a Houston defender, then plays Nicol-ball and that's that. By the 80th minute, fans booing will be audible on TV.

my hope, on the other hand, is that Houston can get the first goal, in which case I see them opening NE up and Houston goes on to win 3-1.

Posted by: Rob | November 16, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Houston wins 2-0
DeRosario & Joseph "the comeback kid" Ngwenya to score

Joseph sent off after two "Mastroeni-like" yellow cards from behind

Posted by: Zero | November 16, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Everyone is giving predictions without reasons. Goff specifically asked why. So, I'll play:

Forwards--Twellman has been his usual self, but Noonan has been off this year. Christman has provided a boost off the bench. With Ching, it's even. Without him: Edge New England.

Midfield--With Ralston playing in the middle, Shalrie Joseph is probably the only NE midfielder who could crack Houston's lineup. Even without Rico Clark: Huge Edge Houston.

Defense--Again, no contest: Huge Edge Houston

Goalkeeper--Onstadt has quietly had a solid year. Reis is in decline, but still capable of a big game: Slight Edge: Houston

Bench--Houston may have the best bench in the league. Even without Ching and Clark: Slight Edge Houston

Coaching: Kinnear and Nicol are two of the best coaches in the league. Kinnear is better at ingame adjustments: Slight Edge Houston

Intangibles-- NE may be hungrier, but have a history of choking: Even

Cosmic Forces-- NE has Reis and Heaps: evil to the core. Houston has great fans, while NE can barely get 10K to a playoff game. Add in that most DCU fans at the game will be rooting for Houston.

My prediction: New England 1-0. Hey, it's been that kind of year. ;-)

asitis

Posted by: asitis | November 16, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

no predictions but I surely hope that Boz, McT and Burch are all there learning how to up their defensive play for the playoffs.

Posted by: jmr | November 16, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Where is the place to be before the game. Is MLS sponsoring a band? I want to party before the game, Please help.

Posted by: JonB | November 16, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Houston is my 2nd favorite MLS team.

So I am rooting for Houston 3-0.

Without Ching though it is going to be rough, hopefully not another PK game

Posted by: vasco | November 16, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmr | November 16, 2007 12:36 PM
----------------------------------------

Just don't post that on bobbyboswell.com. He doesn't like it when someone criticizes his or dcu's defense and feels the need to remove such posts from his website. Such a big-boy he is.

Posted by: Mr. Plow | November 16, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

The Arlington County alert system has issued this tidbit: "There will be a military aircraft flyover in the National Capital Region at RFK Stadium, at 12 noon, Sunday, 18 NOV, 2007, in support of the Major League Soccer Cup."

Posted by: 22201 | November 16, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

By the way could you put a more sullen picture of Emilio on the United page?

He looks like he just lost a family member.

Very un-Emilio like.

Posted by: it's in the net! | November 16, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

New England 3:2 Houston in extra time.

I think New England could score early being more acclimated to the cold weather and maybe even two early. Houston claws back two goals sending it to the extra period.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | November 16, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Placido Domingo is the clear winner here, folks.

Then Houston.

Posted by: gringo | November 16, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JonB | November 16, 2007 12:38 PM
-------------------------------------
I bet Screaming-Eagles and Barra Brava are having a huge tail gate at RFK parking lot 8. You can go there and buy a pass and join them from 8 am.

Posted by: td | November 16, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm going with Houston either 2-0 or 3-1, with their last goal coming at the very end of the game as NE pushes everything into trying to get the equalizer.

Posted by: edgeonyou | November 16, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Twellman tries a bike, jams his knee in his nose, is subbed for non-stop bleeding. Wynalda blames it on the cross from Ralston.

Reis and Waibel exchange heated words over hair-care products.

Jay Heaps commits 34 fouls, gets a yellow.

Brian Ching comes on as a super-sub in the 75th, wins it with a header past Reis in the 89th.

Houston 1, Revolution 0.

Revs' bus somehow gets 7 flat tires. Chico, Logan Circle, I-270 Exit 1 not to be found.

Posted by: Joe Doc | November 16, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Pain, I predict pain.

Posted by: Mr. T | November 16, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I didn't do it!

btw, there will be some Barra members and a raffle to benefit The Susan Komen Breast Cancer Foundation in Lot 8 where the Barra usually tailgates, but nothing official from the Barra. Check with the SE for pregame activities.

Posted by: Chico | November 16, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Hope, STFU and get back on the bench. We have given your spot to Emmanuel Lewis.

Posted by: Greg Ryan | November 16, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

remember, all DC fans should wear their shirts, jerseys, etc. Might as well try to make Revolution outnumbered.

Posted by: DC | November 16, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 22201 | November 16, 2007 01:12 PM
-------
Hey 22201, who are you? Do you just happen to "tidbits" from the Arlington County Alert System in your e-mail? Are you an air-traffic controller at National Airport, or something? If so, stop reading Insider, and get back to work! My grandma is flying in for Turkey Day.

Posted by: David | November 16, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

1-1 Tie.

Houston rolls up 3 in extra time, with Heaps getting his first red since Bobby Convey kicked him in the breadbasket a few years back.

Jaqua and an Eddie Robinson Own Goal in regulation. DeRo (2) and Ngwenya in extra time.

Matt Reis retires in shame.

UnOfficial Barra Tailgate will Rock!

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | November 16, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

"Major League Soccer Cup"

When you say all the words, it sounds stupid.

And I'll vouch for Chico and Logan Circle. We didn't see nuthin' about them flat tires.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | November 16, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

You guys are great. I hope to hear a unified cheer of "D.C., D.C." when the game enters any lulls. Since DC failed to make it to the final, I thought they should've put the baseball infield back in.

Posted by: Tony Limarzi | November 16, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hoost | November 16, 2007 11:00 AM

It's not that his head looks like an orange on a stick, it's that he wears boys small size jerseys. He should get a yellow just for that.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | November 16, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

The Arlington County alert system has issued this tidbit: "There will be a military aircraft flyover in the National Capital Region to bomb RFK Stadium, at 12 noon, Sunday, 18 NOV, 2007, in support of the Major League Soccer team moving to a city that cares about soccer and will actually build them a stadium."

Posted by: A Fenty | November 16, 2007 03:45 PM

Posted by: Updated | November 16, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: David | November 16, 2007 02:10 PM
------------------------------------------

No, I'm afraid I'm just a very ordinary Arlingtonian. Any county resident can subscribe to a distribution list and receive news, via email and/or cellphone text message, of anything going on in the environment: water main breaks, traffic tieups on I-395, etc. They routinely acknowledge every scheduled flyover, lest someone think it is the War of the Worlds, I guess. I would have thought that other communities had something similar.

Posted by: 22201 | November 16, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

22201 REPRESENT

Posted by: d, dc | November 16, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Do you think Tom Cruise will be there? His wife was on that show with Twellman. What, are you trying to tell me he is not the guy who played Dawson?

Posted by: dtd | November 16, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I would love to watch the game, but the Seattle ABC affiliate is showing "Hanna Montana" instead. I wish this were a joke.

Posted by: Seattle hates MLS | November 16, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else with issues getting the presser right now?

Posted by: UVA-United | November 16, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

but Hanna is HHHOT - the game...not so much.

Posted by: bobf | November 16, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

The ACC men's tournament will be cranking up again shortly:

NCAA women's Division I action is going on all over the country. Here's a link to audio and/or video and/or gametracker coverage, depending on what is available at each venue:

I'll be following all of the above plus the NCAA field hockey semifinals (which apparently will be televised over the Internet), assuming that my 'puter doesn't crack under the strain.

Posted by: 22201 | November 16, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Seattle hates MLS | November 16, 2007 04:07 PM
------------------------------------------

MLS just awarded a franchise to Seattle, and this is the respect the league gets? In an earlier thread I argued that we'd be better off if MLS Cup were shown on BSPN or BSPN2. This is just one more reason.

Posted by: 22201 | November 16, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Every team I've rooted for in the playoffs loses. It's been awful. So, naturally, the Revs are going to win, 1-0.

What a crummy playoffs.

Do stop by during your pregame to the Barra Brava site in Lot 8 and enjoy the Breast Raffle though! I'm hoping to win a couple for myself to take home.

Posted by: spectre | November 16, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

3 - o NE

Goals by Brady, Schilling, and Garnett.

Posted by: Kenny | November 16, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Breast Raffle????? Freudian slip, perhaps?

Posted by: 22201 | November 16, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse