MLS Rumblings

*Two sources tell me that Chivas USA's Preki, the MLS coach of the year, has spoken to the New York Red Bulls about their head coaching vacancy. I am also told that the Red Bulls remain very serious about Chicago's Juan Carlos Osorio, even after the Fire denied them permission to speak with him a couple weeks ago. "They're chasing him hard," one source said.

*DCU appears to be getting closer to signing Argentine midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron. Reports in the Argentine media say that Veron has meetings set up with Estudiantes officials this week to discuss his future and that he plans to announce his decision by Dec. 15.

By Steve Goff  |  November 26, 2007; 12:01 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Heard It on the Grapevine
Next: Carroll Traded

Comments

Other than the considerable (!!) challenge presented by working for NYRB, why would Preki care at all about moving from his present gig?

Posted by: Whaddaya, crazy? | November 26, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

""Among the eight Post sports blogs, we're consistently second behind the Redskins. Among all Post blogs, we're in the top 12 out
of 40 (??) every day.""

Nice to hear! And remind me again why national media think there isn't much of a soccer market?

Posted by: delantero | November 26, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Posted by: Anonymous | November 26, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

How bout DC? We sticking with Soehn?

Posted by: Matte | November 26, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

What are the implications of United protecting Moreno and Gomez during the expansion draft, given their apparent intent to sign Veron as well? Should we assume that United is aggressively pursuing re-signing both since they were protected?

Posted by: jaime | November 26, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

DCU is in talks with Gomez's people and hopes to re-sign him (his contract expires next month). Moreno's situation remains unclear. I'm not sure whether DCU will pick up the option on his contract at the current salary; he might have to agree to a cut (or perhaps a cut with several incentives) to remain with the club.

Posted by: Goff | November 26, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Stay with us, Jaime!

You gotta keep adding to the all time MLS scoring record so Ratso Razov can't have it.

Posted by: garbaggio | November 26, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Besides the money, Preki could also enjoy considerably more in terms of resources (two DP slots at NYRB and greater willingness to spend money on players and facilities and 0 DP slots at Chivas) and greater coaching/development authority (NYRB gave Arena the dual role of coach and sporting director).

Posted by: Mickey | November 26, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

If United goes all out and gets Veron, I hope he's worth the effort. A talented player, no doubt, but does he have enough fire in the belly to put in MVP-quality work?

Posted by: SSMD | November 26, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

SSMD,

Very good points. One interesting aspect of the number of DPs coming in, IMO will be the challenge that each presents to the other. JSV is not going to want to give an inch to Blanco, Beckham, Schelotto, etc. He'll be our big man and no big man wants the other to get the best of him. I think that will be a motivating factor for sure. But of course we won't get him. (warding off the bad mojo) :)

Posted by: AlexandriaDan | November 26, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

If Veron wasn't interested in coming here last year, what makes everyone think he's changed his mind?

Posted by: Glaucon | November 26, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty confident that Veron will come to town, knock on wood, but am concerned about his fitness. Hasn't he injured on and off for the past two years? What's the use in paying for a guy who is going to sit a lot of games?

Posted by: bribri | November 26, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I know they play completely different styles, but I sure hope that DC doesn't consider Veron to be a replacement for Gomez in central midfield. Emilio may have won the league MVP this year, but Christian has consistently been our best player over the past 2 years. In fact, if given the choice, I think I'd rather have Gomez than Veron.

Posted by: Shatz / DCUMD | November 26, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I'd hate to see Osorio leave the FIRE. OTOH, I also don't want to go through years of him wanting and hinting that he's out the door.

If he wants to be in Chicago, I think that would be great for the FIRE and for the league. If not, here's hoping Guppy can get over his inborn stupidity to at least get Altidore in return. [My theory is that if RB wants Osorio badly enough, they'll PAY through the nose for his services.]

Posted by: khan | November 26, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Geez, TFKAM are really desperate for a coach. Any coach that sees that Bruce was fired after only 1 and half years at the helm won't be nearly as inclined to accept a coaching job there. My guess is that foreign coaches will probably turn them down unless they offer a ton of $$$$$$$$$.
I think their only hope is to find a college coach or maybe a low level MLS assistant coach

Posted by: United Fury | November 26, 2007 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Khan, you'recrazy if you think RBNY will part with Jozy. We're not gonna sell him to Real Madrid..we're gonna trade him to Mrs. O'Leary's Cows?????? Are you a madman?

Posted by: Smith | November 26, 2007 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm so overwhelmed by Khan's insanity that I can't even write in a readable manner anymore!!!

Hey, maybe the Fire can Trade Jim Curtin to Man U for Christiano Ronaldo too?!?!?!

Look, it's the tooth fairy!!!!

Hey, maybe the Cubs will win the World Series!!!

Waity, we'll give you Jozy AND JPA for Osario! No, wait..keep Osario...we'll just give you JPA & Jozy?

Are you on crack?

Chicago needs to address the crack epidemic among Fire Fans.

Idiot.

Posted by: Smith | November 26, 2007 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Good news for DC United fans. Brujita Verón's agent confirmed to espndeportes.com that he's decided to come stateside.
Cheers!

Posted by: Roberto | November 27, 2007 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Preki? Seriously?

What the christ.

Posted by: Theo | November 27, 2007 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I hope Christmas comes early this year. Say... around December 15th. :-)

Senior Veron esta muy bien venido aqui.

Posted by: David | November 27, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Smith | November 26, 2007 09:25 PM
----------

It may not be popular, but the Altidore-for-Osorio price has already been set by precedent.

Recall that Metro picked up Bob Bradley 5 years ago. The price was the then-hottest forward prospect in MLS, Rodrigo Faria, PLUS a draft pick. While I agree that Faria was not the same type of prospect as Altidore is now, Faria DID have the MLS record for rookie scoring for awhile. This, while playing in front of an inferior team than Altidore has now. [READ: Altidore has had better service, and therefore more opportunities than Faria did when he was playing in front of an empty Giants Stadium.] In addition, there was a draft pick superadded to the mix.

Again, I'm not setting the price. The price has been already set by what Bradley cost metro in the past. If RB wants the [arguably] top coaching prospect in the league, they'll have to pay the price set by precedent.

Oh, and that Jozy-to-Real-Madid rumour is more fantasy than anything else. Real Madrid tracks 15, 16, 17, 18, and 19 year olds in virtually every league on the planet. And there has been no one inside the management of Real Madrid to confirm these "rumours." The whole story is one link on one webpage, that has been blown up by BigSoccer, without corroboration by MLS, by Altidore's management, or by Real Madrid.

Posted by: khan | November 27, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Here is apparent confirmation by Altidore's management, if not MLS or Real Madrid:

Has Real confirmed or denied this report?

Posted by: 22201 | November 27, 2007 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Veron, here is Gazidis on South America as a source of MLS talent:

Posted by: 22201 | November 27, 2007 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Faria is one/tenth the player Faria is & Osario 1/10th the coach Bradley is. Osario for Mike Magee maybe.

I beg you. Put down the crack pipe. For your own health!

Posted by: Smith | November 28, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I will clarify:

RBNY IS NOT GIVING ALTIDORE TO AN MLS SIDE.

PLEASE DON'T BE AN IDIOT.

Posted by: Smith | November 28, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I beg you. Put down the crack pipe. For your own health!

Posted by: Smith | November 28, 2007 10:18 AM
------

I disagree with your assessment of Bradley vs. Osorio. In fact, I'd bet that most observant soccer fans would be more likely to agree with me as well.

Osorio has coached both in the Prem, as well as in Colombia. Bradley would be hard-pressed to coach outside the US. In fact, he's NEVER coached outside the US, and only backed into his current job because USSF's first choice(s) turned Sunil down. If Klinsmann took the job, Bradley might be as unemployed as Dave Sarachan is right now!

Osorio's connections in the world of soccer dwarf those of Bradley's. This ability makes him even more of a valuable coaching commodity to MLS than Bradley could ever be. See the Conde signing as exhibit #1 of this, and surely there will be other signings by Osorio that Bradley could never hope to accomplish.

Osorio could easily be a candidate for club jobs on three continents, whereas Bradley [given the prejudice against American coaches worldwide] would be hard-pressed to find a job outside the US.

I agree that Altidore is more of a prospect than Faria was in 2002. [Largely due to Altidore's age and athletic advantage over Faria.] But OTOH, Osorio is a much bigger coaching prospect NOW than Bradley was in 2002. After Bradley either steps down from the national team job or is fired, there is scant chance that he'd be considered outside the US. The precedent of failure after leaving the Nats set by Bruce Arena further decreases Bradley's value on the world market.

If/when Osorio leaves MLS, he'd be a candidate for a slew of jobs. He's already been linked to two clubs in Colombia, as well as to the Colombia National Team job, as well as to the US National Team job that Bradley backed into. And this is above and beyond anything in MLS.

Again, I didn't set the price. It was already set by precedent FIVE YEARS AGO. Altidore-for-Osorio is exactly on a par with Faria-plus-a-pick-for-Bradley.

Having said that, in Chicago we're told that Osorio doesn't want to go to RB anyway. Something about feeble management, poor support, and a tradition of losing in an empty stadium was mentioned.

Posted by: khan | November 28, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Again, I didn't set the price. It was already set by precedent FIVE YEARS AGO.
-----------------------------------------

Anyone who thinks prices are set by precedent, especially a five-year-old precedent, needs to take a course in Econ 101. I wish I could refuel my vehicle for the prevailing price as of five years ago.

Posted by: 22201 | November 28, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 22201 | November 28, 2007 02:15 PM

---------

Great. So I'm sure you'll also tell us about how salaries in MLS have risen dramatically in the past five years, too right? You'll also compare the salary cap in MLS to the cost of living adjustment over the same period in the US, right?

See, what is learned in Econ 101 does not apply to this type of transaction, in a self-contained system such as is a league like MLS. Internally, MLS is not governed by market forces so much as it is by its rules and regulations. And these are set by precedent.

Externally, however, when transferring assets in or out of MLS, there are more market forces at play. [i.e. transferring in or out players, managers, and the like.] But since a potential Osorio-to-MLS'-loserville, USA is an internal transaction, outside market forces are not as much in play as it would be for RB to seek a coach from outside MLS.

But if you're arguing for inflationary measures to increase the "price" in trade for Osorio, I'm all for that.

Posted by: khan | November 28, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Has Real confirmed or denied this report?

Posted by: 22201 | November 27, 2007 08:23 PM

---------

I'm SURE Altidore's management has a vested interest in telling the truth to the media, right?

I mean, there's NO WAY that Altidore's management would engage in puffery or exaggerate young Jozy's value, right?

If you can't trust sports agents, who can you trust nowadays?

SURELY sports agents are trustworthy with every word they givw to the media, right?

This story is baloney. Jozy's not going anywhere outside of MLS.

Posted by: jozy's not going anywhere | November 28, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

MLS is a self-contained system? Really?

Econ 101 teaches that there is no reason for the salary cap in MLS to bear any particular relationship to the cost of living, just as there is no reason for the price of anything to march in lockstep with the price of anything else. The price of Osorio is what it is. The price of Bradley was what it was, period.

Posted by: 22201 | November 28, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

This story is baloney. Jozy's not going anywhere outside of MLS.
----------------------------------------

This may well be true. However, I simply asked whether Real had commented on this report.

Posted by: 22201 | November 28, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 22201 | November 28, 2007 03:26 PM

----------

Thank you for agreeing with me.

Your previous argument was that a swap that ocurred 5 years ago should be "cheaper" to metro than a swap today. [You did so by utilizing the comparison to gaoline prices.]

You now realize that it would be absurd for Chicago to accept less than what Bradley cost 5 years ago, inasmuch as it would be absurd for RB to offer more for Osorio.

Were this transaction to be anything akin to what we learned in Econ 101, [as you previously suggested] Osorio's price tag would be substantially more than Bradley's in 2K2.

But as this is akin to swapping personnel between different departments of a company, the costs associated with doing so are set by internal rule. Which are set by precedent.

Thanks again!

Posted by: khan | November 28, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

I made no such argument. I could just as easily have used an example of a commodity whose price had decreased over the past five years (e.g., the price of homes in many communities).

Further, I have no opinion whatever on what Chicago should accept or what Red Bull should offer. I am not associated with either organization, and I couldn't care less about this particular matter. However, I do care about promoting scientific literacy.

Posted by: 22201 | November 28, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Okay

Common sense

Why in the world would RBNY trade the best prospect EVER developed in the US for a coach with a .500 record

PLEASE, I BEG OF YOU, QUIT SMOKING CRACK. IT WILL RUIN YOUR HEALTH.

Posted by: Smith | November 28, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Smith | November 28, 2007 04:20 PM

----------

OK, I like Jozy's game, too. And while I think Osorio is a good coach, I'm not sold on him yet.

But calling Altidore the best prospect EVER developed in the US is a little premature. Altidore hasn't even scored double-digit goals in MLS yet. He might be the best player in US history, or he might be the next Edson Buddle.

He might play in the Champions League, or he may never score a goal in the US Open Cup. Donovan, Convey, Adu, Beasley, O'Brien, and other players have accomplished more than Jozy has so far. All of these guys were at least as good a prospect as Jozy is today.

While I like Jozy's game, YOU'RE asking khan to get off crack? I think you're getting ahead of yourself. Actually, I think both of you guys are off your rockers.

Posted by: jozy's not going anywhere | November 28, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Khan. RBNY just traded Jozy & JPA AND Dane Richards to the Chicago Fire for the rights to Osario, then we traded Osario's rights back to Chicago for Jim Curtin then we traded Curtin to Chivas for future considerations which we then traded to DC for a framed photo of Freddy Adu, circa 2005. Man, we really fleeced the Fire on this deal!!!!!

BTW, folks, I said best PROSPECT. The best US player is a toss up between Ramos or Beasley or Reyna (pre-RBNY) or O'Brien or the Legendary Jim Curtin.

I don't count Donovan. He's too big a nancy to go play in Europe.

Mathis should have been the best but wasn't.

Posted by: Smith | November 29, 2007 7:50 PM | Report abuse