Surgery for Olsen

United midfielder Ben Olsen will have surgery on both ankles Monday in Baltimore to clean up the bone spurs that troubled him all season. Ben tells me he will be relegated to the couch for a couple weeks. "I'll be watching re-runs of Good Times and Wonder Years," he revealed. He also wanted me to solicit good viewing suggestions from Insider loyalists. Let me know in the comments section below and I'll pass 'em along to our gimpy friend.

In other MLS news, New England's Michael Parkhurst was named defender of the year, Kansas City's Eddie Johnson comeback player of the year and Brian Hall referee of the year. Voting was done by media, players, coaches and GMs; referees also contributed to the officiating award.

In case you've lost track (and surely you have), here is the list of every New York coach since 1996:

Eddie Firmani
Carlos Queiroz
Carlos Alberto Parreira
Alfonso Mondelo
Bora Milutinovic
Octavio Zambrano
Bob Bradley
Mo Johnston
Richie Williams (interim)
Bruce Arena

By Steve Goff  |  November 5, 2007; 1:25 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Breaking News: Arena Gone
Next: This Just In.....

Comments

Heal fast Ben! Twin Peaks box set just came out on DVD. USA's Burn Notice is also very good, but I'm not sure they are replaying it right now.

Posted by: Greifie | November 5, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Brian Hall? Referee of the year? Oy!

Tell Ben that I'll lend him my DVDs of Band of Brothers. Great, great stuff.

Posted by: MattM | November 5, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

brian hall? please.

Posted by: jtk | November 5, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Tell Ben that, on any given channel at any given time of the day, there is bound to be re-runs of Saved by the Bell! OR He could be like a former college roomate of mine and turn on SportsCenter at 7 a.m. and proceed to watch every episode until 1 p.m.

Posted by: JonInVB | November 5, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Day Man (Oh-ahhhh-oh-ah!)
Fighter of the Night Man (Oh-ahhhh-oh-ah!)
Champion of the Sun (Oh-ahhhh-oh-ah!)
You're a master of karate and friendship for everyone

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | November 5, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Eddie Johnson? What exactly did he come back from? That is total b@llsh!t.

A guy coming back from a blownout knee or injury should be where the spirit of this award lies.

To award a guy for sucking for a year, then returning to form, is ludicrous.

For Benny, I recommend a new show: "Last One Standing" on the Discovery channel. Basically a group of American and British athletes go overseas to compete in traditional tribal fighting competitions. A great show!

Or, It Always Sunny in Philadelphia...give Benny some PA-flavored laughs.

Posted by: Erick | November 5, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Northern Exposure

Posted by: Matt | November 5, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Wonder Years? That's wack, maybe the Bearded One was inspired by Winnie's photo shoot from Stuff?

He needs to be checking that new "My So-Called Life" box set. And I'm assuming he's seen the full run of "Freaks and Geeks" on DVD?

Posted by: edgeonyou | November 5, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

On DVD:

Friday Night Lights
The Wire
Dexter
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
The Office (U.S. and U.K. versions)

Posted by: For Ben | November 5, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Ooh, good choices. How about "Magnum P.I.", "The A Team," or "Police Squad!" for more retro TV?

Posted by: DC Sports Chick | November 5, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Mad Men on AMC is over, but on demand from Comcast.

Posted by: jess | November 5, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Steve, tell Ben to get the box set of "Coupling," the BBC version of the show (NOT the American copy which was atrocious). Megan will love it, too. Worth every penny and one of the funniest sitcoms ever... way better than Seinfeld. It takes one or two episodes to get the hang of the accent, but it's well-worth the effort.

Posted by: Soy United! | November 5, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Good Jewish humor, like Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | November 5, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Benny can invite Bruce over to watch Good Times with him:

Temporary lay offs - Good Times.
Easy credit rip offs - Good Times.
Scratchin' and surviving - Good Times.
Hangin' in a chow line - Good Times.
Ain't we lucky we got 'em - Good Times.

Posted by: EdTheRed | November 5, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I'd suggest Ben go out and pickup a few TV series on DVD. Here are a few good ones:

Sopranos
Entourage
Rome
The West Wing
Friday Night Lights

Posted by: TCompton | November 5, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

All 3 "Lord of the Rings" (DVD)

X-Files (Hollywood Video has all of them)

Wings (either TBS or USA)

His sweet volley against Red Bulls on www.mlsnet.com, Goal of the Year section

And how about a good book? Try "The Wheel of Time" series by the recently departed Robert Jordan.

Posted by: Joe Doc | November 5, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Metalocalypse, Robot Chicken, ...

Posted by: BigWave | November 5, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Gotta agree on "The Wire", especially seasons 1-3. Season 1 is a must.

Posted by: the cheat | November 5, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Classic Looney toons? Bugs, Tom and Jerry? always funny...

Posted by: Dukefooty | November 5, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Coupling=Amazing. Nice choice. Also surprised to see no one has mentioned HBO's Rome yet...

Posted by: doze | November 5, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

One of my favorite shows is Firefly. a short lived series on FOX that also has a movie. all available on DVD.

Posted by: spiffyone | November 5, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

If you are looking for a book, try Dean Karnazes' "Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner". Simply amazing the way he describes running and motivation!

Posted by: JonInVB | November 5, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

BEST TV SHOW IN THE LAST DECADE!!!!!

Season 1-3 of

Arrested Development

Posted by: bristol | November 5, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

A great book that once he gets into he won't be able to stop reading (to the point that Megan will kick his ankles) is Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. The quasi-sequel just came out so the original book should be easy to find now. If he can't find it, I'll lend him my hard cover copy.

Posted by: Soy United! | November 5, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Gotta get the Chappelle Show on DVD. It's a laugh riot...

Posted by: Chico | November 5, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I hear Ben is quite the artist so how about a marathon of the Joy of Painting
http://www.bobross.com/ (eh yeah, maybe not!)

As others have mentioned, a fine time to catch up on the premium cable shows you might have missed, Entourage, The Sopranos, The Wire, etc.

I think one channel airs Homicide, Life on the Street during the day (or get the dvds, fantastic show). There's also Drew Carey now hosting The Price is Right.

K

Posted by: SEKim | November 5, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

These times are great excuses to watch complete series, mini-series, and movies.

I 4th or 5th The Wire, and agree with The Office (as long as you can wait out the stomach-churning first season) and Friday Night Lights.

And if by chance he's never seen all of Band of Brothers, then that should probably top the list.

Make it a D(VD)-Day.

Simpsons.
It is always funny!

Posted by: jgildea | November 5, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

how i met your mother.

the 2nd season just came out on DVD

Posted by: vasco | November 5, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe no one has said this yet...

MAURY--Paternity Tests Revealed!

When? I have no idea!
Channel? I have no idea!

It is heart-pumping, edge of your seat television!

Posted by: JonInVB | November 5, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I agree with bristol. arrested development is the funniest show i have seen outside of chappelle's show.

Posted by: phil | November 5, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey Benny check out

Rome
and
the Boondocks
(the first season is on DVD)
and season 2 just started...

Posted by: Cashous | November 5, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

If you're looking for a HORROR flick, why not check out DC United vs. Chicago?

That will keep you up late at night.

Posted by: PAIN | November 5, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

DC United fans are the best in the league, not so in TV Entertainment. Benny should turn off the tube and read some classics, I recommend "The Grapes of Wrath". Stay sharp, Body and Mind.

Posted by: Tony Limarzi | November 5, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

It's a pricy purchase, but he would do well to pick up ESSENTIAL ART HOUSE: 50 YEARS OF JANUS FILMS

That will keep him busy.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | November 5, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Now Tony, Ben should have read that book back in his Pennsylvania High School. Steinbeck is standard fare in American Literature classes.

Now, copy some lines on the blackboard...

Posted by: Tony Limarzi's 10th Grade English Teacher | November 5, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Ben should pick up or Netflix these tv shows on dvd:

-twin peaks
-adventures of pete and pete
-arrested development
-freaks and geeks

Posted by: pat | November 5, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Now that I typed out the lyrics to "Day Man", it is stuck in my head and will be for some time.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | November 5, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

When I saw the short list for Ref of the Year, I said "Hall is the one of the three whose matches have seemed the most badly officiated." So I don't know why I should be surprised that he got the nod.

Posted by: Bootsy | November 5, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Californication on Showtime
Entourage on HBO
Two and a Half men on CBS
Lost - if you can get into that kind of thing.
Band of Brothers - amazing stuff, just amazing.
For an interesting novel, try Engleby by Sebastian Faulks. Very interesting look at people, philosophy, psychology, obsession and lots of other gems.

Posted by: marksman | November 5, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Given the two shows Benny's already going to watch, I'm going to suggest the following on DVD:

Diff'rent Strokes

36th Chanber of the Shaolin
Infernal Affairs
Catch a Fire
Lost Boys of Sudan
District B-13
Murderball
Once in a Life Time (NY Cosmos)

Posted by: JTR | November 5, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Ref of the Year is like Time's Man of the Year where the "winner" is just the person that had the most impact, not the best ref. :)

Posted by: Greifie | November 5, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I have to plug my new obsession; Top Gear. New episodes every Monday on BBC America, tons of clips on YouTube.

Start with a subject near and dear to everyone's heart (at least in this neighborhood).

5-a-side with a difference

Posted by: Mark M | November 5, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Off-topic, but...

DC Utd just informed its season ticket holders of the oft-rescheduled Meet the Team event.

They care so much about the fans that they gave us 72 hours notice, setting it for Thursday night.

Garbage.

After stringing us along all season, they pull this. It was always a favorite day for my kids and traditionally held on a weekend. Of course now, it essentially ensures we can't go. It is one thing to move heaven and earth to get to a mid-week game, for 90+ minutes of pain or pleasure at RFK, but for to honor or waiting in line for an hour for 45 seconds of signatures from guys who folded when it mattered?!?

I can add that to my list of DCU gripes, which keeps getting longer...

Posted by: Erick | November 5, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

The HBO series The Wire is great.

Posted by: Pat | November 5, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Brian Hall, eh? Perhaps I should apply to become the Red Bull's new coach.

Posted by: DuPont Mike | November 5, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Ben Olson needs to give up on re-runs from his childhood and embrace reality TV. Fortunately, there's no need to channel-surf, because its VH1 to the rescue! My suggestions:

Flavor of Love
Flavor of Love 2
Rock of Love
I Love New York
I Love New York 2 (on the air now)
plus any/all seasons of The Surreal Life

Watching any of these freak-shows should convince him that he made the right career move, and hopefully speed his recovery so he can get away from the TV....

Posted by: BaltoFan | November 5, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I add to the chorus of praise for THE WIRE, probably the best tv series ever. Homicide: Life on the Street is pretty great too, especially the first 3-4 seasons.

I'm a little saddened that there's only one other mention here for (the current) BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, which is an underappreciated, amazing achievement for its treatment of war, politics, religion, and the meaning of humanity. It shouldn't be confused with its cheesy-ass 1970s predecessor.

Oh, and for comedy I'd go with Curb Your Enthusiasm and the BBC version of The Office.

Posted by: jim d. | November 5, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Props to Soy United and "Tony Lumarzi" for actually suggesting books. Sitcoms rot the body, mind, and soul.

I'd recommend he pick a country and start reading some contemporary authors. I just finished Chile -- Pablo Neruda, Isabel Allende, Gabriela Mistral, Jorge Teillier and Nicanor Parra are a good place to start.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | November 5, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Sci Fi is always good channel to watch movies and tv shows like Dark Angel...or even Ghost Hunters. CSI on DVD is always good, so is Bones and Mythbusters.

Posted by: Kris | November 5, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Watching and listening to Ray Hudson to color commentary on a La Liga game (especially Barcelona) on Gol TV is all the entertainment you could ask for!

Posted by: Tim S. | November 5, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget Deadwood and the British mini-series "Britz" that was on last week is highly recommended.

Posted by: dtd | November 5, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

- Hu$tle.
- MI-5.
- The Hornblower series.

For laughs:

- Robin Williams on The Actors Studio.
- Classic Looney Tunes ("Barber of Seville," "What's Opera, Doc?" among the best)
- Pink Panther (Peter Sellars series as well as the cartoon)

Posted by: Juan-John | November 5, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Um, I don't know about Ben, but I am going to watch old DC United games from previous seasons to watch a team that had heart. That's not a reflection on Ben as it is one on his teammates.

Posted by: Gotta Have Heart | November 5, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

New Radio reruns - They've got them on DVD now! Fantastic stuff.

Oh and maybe a little Space Ghost... it strikes me as something the Bearded one could appreciate.

Posted by: Blondie | November 5, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

He needs an eclectic mix of reading, films and series. DVD's of 24, the British version of The Office, and the ubiquitous PeeWee's Playhouse. The first version of The In-Laws will offer amusement ("serpentine, serpentine"), while Lawrence of Arabia offers intensity. On novels, Ben might check out some of Ian McEwan's works (Saturday, Atonement, Amsterdam) and of course Nick Hornby's Fever Pitch. Get well Ben!

Posted by: Peter | November 5, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Viewing Suggestions for Benny:

Lock, Stock, and 2 Smoking Barrels
The Big Lebowski
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
and of course any The Simpsons DVD's

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | November 5, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edgeonyou | November 5, 2007 01:49 PM
----------------
Thanks, edgeonyou.
I think all my early-pubescent fantasies just came true. Ok, well not quite. But that's how I always dreamed of seeing Winnie. To quote Fred Savage: "Hummina Hummina Hummina..."

Posted by: David | November 5, 2007 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Beninho, If you watch "John from Cincinatti" (HBO on Demand) and post here that you liked it, I promise I'll stop calling you Beninho (to your face).

Posted by: Dobey | November 5, 2007 7:16 PM | Report abuse

might be a bit hard to find but let Ben know he should check out 'Hardcastle and McCormick' from '83 -'86

Posted by: marek | November 5, 2007 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wojo | November 5, 2007 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Some good shows have been mentioned in this thread, but "Coupling" sucked after season two.

Posted by: sitruc | November 5, 2007 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey Ben, you can have any historic matches you like from www.DaveBrett.com. You are even in a few of them.

Posted by: Dave Brett | November 6, 2007 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Benny.... watch SCRUBS!!!!

Posted by: kris | November 6, 2007 1:23 AM | Report abuse

It's all about Rescue Me.

Posted by: MtP | November 6, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse